DMDM's Fingerprints of the Fiend

Game Master Douglas Muir 406


501 to 550 of 641 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius has been entertaining similar suspicions - maybe they've just been working together too long - and he ducks his head under the cart, trying to get a read on things.

"So, what's the verdict, Cal?"

His tone is breezy, but his eyes and ears are sharp as he looks over at the mysterious halfling.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


Callinda Swan wrote:

Callinda ducks a head under the cart to see what the halfling's found. "There you are -- great minds think alike, apparently; let's see this axle."

[dice=disable device]1d20+12 +3 more if this counts as a "trap"

Making a show of not being able to see the damage at first, she looks back and forth from the axle to the halfling a few times, trying to size up whether he's the saboteur himself.

Sure, Zulfikor ran in the door seconds ahead of us and took the time to sabotage the cart, and you just happened to find it, she thinks. I'd bet a bottle of Morvius' favorite Taldan red that's not what happened.

[dice=sense motive]1d20+6

Well... it looks like someone went after the front axle with a file. But it's just a nick or a deep scratch. It doesn't look to you like it will seriously compromise the safety of the cart.

Mind, the cart doesn't look all that safe to begin with. The rails are rickety and the cart was obviously put together by unskilled labor working under the lash. It's capacious -- it could hold a ton of rock and dirt, or six people -- but it wouldn't be a comfortable ride.


Morvius Zaan wrote:

His tone is breezy, but his eyes and ears are sharp as he looks over at the mysterious halfling.

[Dice=Sense Motive]d20+13

He seems to be impatient to get after the escaping slavers. If he's faking, he's doing a good job of it.

Speaking of whom: the two "wizards" have disappeared around a curve, but they haven't gone far. You can still clearly hear the CLACK CLACK CLACK of their cart as it rolls down the rails into the darkness.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

"Whatever happened here, they didn't have time to do much damage," Callinda replies to Morvius, choosing not to name a culprit. "Ready to go after them?"

anybody got ranks in profession(bobsled)?


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius nods, but he has - as ever - one additional question. "How do the carts get back up here?"

Ready to go!


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Janeesa is also prepared to enter into this fool-hardy venture, though much like Morvius, she is curious if the return journey will involve a steep uphill hike.


Morvius Zaan wrote:

Morvius nods, but he has - as ever - one additional question. "How do the carts get back up here?"

"At the end of shift, the Geon. But otherwise --" The halfling points to a pile of harness and tackle lying to one side. "One man to pull an empty cart, six for a full one. Boresk walking ahead with his whip, setting the pace." He's doing a very quick rummage through some equipment. Suddenly he holds up a bag. "Ha. This should do. All right then, jump in."

This is -- very roughly -- analogous to driving a coach, so it just barely comes under the Ride skill. I don't suppose anyone threw a rank or two at Ride?

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Attero sighs deeply and gets in the rolling death trap.

When has riding something helped anyone! =p


Riding, mending, knowledge skills...

Okay, so is everyone good with jumping on the Fun Train?


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Oorah! Let's do this meshugas!


The halfling jumps in with you. "Pilgrim, get the others together. Tell them it's The Day, just like in the song."

The tall man frowns. "Friend, you follow a serpent down its hole. Shall you draw it up by a hook?"

The halfling has huddled down behind the front of the car. He's rummaging in the bag that he found. He pulls out something metallic: a large metal bolt. "Or die trying. If we're not back in an hour or two, get them trying to build a boat. Dismal and Jemmy were sailors. You could lower it using the cranes."

"As is our confidence, so is our capacity," murmurs Pilgrim dubiously.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius sighs, but nods. "I so dislike being railroaded," he complains, as if to an unseen audience. "I prefer to have at least the illusion of personal freedom. But yes, let us see where this takes us."

Do you hear that, Mr Anderson? That is the sound of the fourth wall creaking.


The halfling turns to you. "I think it's best I stay out of sight for now. But I can try to help. Who's steering?"

The driving system is very simple -- a steering lever that also acts as a brake. Since nobody has Ride, the person with the highest Dex should probably steer -- although note that steering means you have to stand up, so you might be a target. So, good AC and HP are a plus here too. The halfling can roll Aid Another checks to try to help you.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

Grince is at +4 Dex, I'm +3. I could aid -- or I could ready an alchemist's fire to lob into the other cart!


Given Grince's acrobatic past, it does seem a nice fit thematically. -- Is he around, btw?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Ha! 'Railroaded'! Very good! Nice pun!


Okay, in the absence of any word from Grince, I'll assume the rest of you shove him into the driver's seat. (It's actually single-slat wooden bench. The halfling is crouching under it.) You give the cart a good hard shove and jump in. The tracks ahead of you tilt downwards into darkness. Clack... clack... clack... clack clack clack clack.

Which reminds me -- does anyone have a light source?

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

I have a lantern, for lack of a better one.


Well okay then! Down the hole you go!

Rock walls flash by with increasing speed...


Okay, some rules of this game. As the car gathers speed, you need to steer it. Successful steering checks will allow you to gain on the car ahead. Unsuccessful ones will cause you to lose ground. Pretty simple, yes? Grinceroy rolls at +4, and the halfling will be whispering advice to him from under the bench -- Aid Another. As long as there's light to see, the halfling gets a +4 circumstance bonus because he knows the track, so basically autosuccess on anything but a 1.

Shelter: everyone but the driver and the lantern-bearer can crouch down, gaining +2 AC. You lose this if you stand up to attack. The halfling grabbed the best seat in the house -- under the bench, he gets +4 AC and 20% miss chance. He's also probably effectively invisible until he pops up.

Light: Brother D. has a lantern. However, to see ahead, someone has to hold up the lantern. That person is a big, obvious target. I assume it's Brother D., but anyone else with a good AC and hp can volunteer. You can decide not to have a light, but then both the aid and steering checks are at -4.

Speed: You're starting off slow. As you go faster, the ride will get bumpier. Missile attacks may acquire a miss chance, and spells will require a concentration check.

Any questions? No? Then here's the halfling's first aid check: 1d20 ⇒ 4

"Okay, you want to steer left as we hit the turn up here, and then it goes down faster..."

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Attero does not shirk from the sacred duty of LightBearer, and stands tall amidst the shrieking chaos.

He does, though, pray that his faith defends his mortal form.

WarBlessing to AC. AC = 22.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius will duck down in what cover is available, a flask of alchemist's fire in his hand. He will stand up to lob it into the cart in front if they get near enough.


Since Grinceroy doesn't seem to be around atm, let's roll for him. 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25

Woo! A smooth acceleration around a curve, and now you're really moving!

A second curve, and now you can see the other cart up ahead. They are (at the moment) 150' away.


Oh, one other drawback of having a light source: they've immediately spotted you. You see them pointing and gesticulating angrily (they have a light source too, a lantern on a short pole) as their cart goes around a curve.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

'Ooo. A pole. Can they -do- that?' Attero thinks, jealously.


ClackClackClackClack You're going a bit faster than they are, gradually closing the gap.

"Sharp straight drop here, then a curve, then the first bridge," mutters the halfling. 1d20 ⇒ 7

Grinceroy leans on the steering rod... 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 4 = 10 And a Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 17

You didn't gain any speed. But as you start down the steep bit, you see something strange: what looks like a cluster of globes of water, like a bunch of grapes, clinging to the wall. They look just like the globe you saw back climbing the wall, except there are several of them. A trickle of water runs from them, down the wall, and alongside the tracks.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

Callinda also holds an alchemists fire as she waits for the range to close - but eyes the hanging water globules suspiciously, "Almost like the water is alive here -- does it usually hover like this?" she asks the halfling. "I'm not sure I appreciate it...following us."


"What, the blebs? They're harmless They'll even help you sometimes if you -- "

Incoming fire! As you come around the curve, two guys are shooting at your lantern bearer. 1d20 ⇒ 91d20 ⇒ 3

SWISH SWISH nothing but air... this time.


Hm, have we lost Grinceroy altogether?


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Nothing from Grinceroy for over a fortnight

Morvius raises one eyebrow. "I would say that anything that can help us right now should be seriously considered. What aid to these... 'blebs' provide? And how do your earn it?"


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Her remaining spells scant to say the least, and her ranged ability minimal, Janeesa just ducks down and waits.


Morvius Zaan wrote:

Nothing from Grinceroy for over a fortnight

Morvius raises one eyebrow. "I would say that anything that can help us right now should be seriously considered. What aid to these... 'blebs' provide? And how do your earn it?"

ClackClackClackClack

"You ask them. They don't talk, but sometimes you can make them understand. We're not -- we weren't supposed to do that, because Karn wanted to collect them. There were Penalties if you didn't report one and try to catch it. But we didn't, because they -- oh, wait, sharp turn, sharp turn ahead! To the left!"

-2 on the halfling's Aid Another roll because you're distracting him. 1d20 + 4 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 4 - 2 = 9

Oooh, no help for Grinceroy this turn! So what's Grinceroy's roll unaided? 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Attero stands unflinching in the van, confident that his faith is his shield.

He also thought that 'blebs' was the oddest swear word he heard, until it's meaning clarified.

OH. WHAT. THE. BLEBS! =p


Okay, you're gaining again (though not by as much as if that Aid another roll had succeeded, pushing you over 20). You're within 100', and gaining 10' per round atm.

There's a straightaway up ahead. You can hear 1d20 ⇒ 11 some sort of argument in the enemy cart -- the dark woman is yelling at Zulfikor / Weasel.

"The Shaker is next, before the First Bridge," says the halfling. "If they're going to try something, that would be a --"

More crossbow bolts!

1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 9

One completely misses, the other grazes off Brother Dominus' armor.
But now Zulfikor is gesturing, obviously casting a spell, as the enemy cart disappears around a curve.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Morvius grins despite himself: the adrenaline rush from such activities is exhilarating. His experience of magickers is that they're snowflakes - casting under stressful conditions generally freaks them out. But there's always a way to add more stress.

Raising his voice, he calls out: "Hey, Zulfikor! That's right, Weasel, we know your name. Not so much fun when you're the one running in fear of your life, is it, friend? Which bit of you do you think the slaves will cut off first, when they catch you?"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Morvius has a fine voice, and it carries; but it has a lot to compete with right now.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

At the halfling's warning of "trying something" and Zulfikor's arcane gestures, Callinda stows her alchemists' fire and raises her bow, ready to harry the wizard at the next opportunity.

ready attack on Zulfikor when next in view:
shortbow attack, 1 range increment: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 9 - 2 = 13for: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Morvius Zaan wrote:


Morvius has a fine voice, and it carries; but it has a lot to compete with right now.

Negative modifiers: you're 100' away and it's noisy. Still, totally worth a try.

Zulfikor does of course have to make a Concentration check, because you're both going fast down a very bumpy road. 1d20 ⇒ 3 You hear him scream in frustration as you whip around the curve... Perception 1d20 ⇒ 8 But you can't make out what they're yelling about.


Callinda Swan wrote:

At the halfling's warning of "trying something" and Zulfikor's arcane gestures, Callinda stows her alchemists' fire and raises her bow, ready to harry the wizard at the next opportunity.

ready attack on Zulfikor when next in view:
[dice=shortbow attack, 1 range increment]1d20+9-2[dice=for]1d6+4

-2 on ranged attacks unless you can make a DC 15 Ride check. You can do that untrained (it's a simple Dex check).


The Shaker!

ClackClackClackCLackBUMPClackClackBUMPBUMPBUMPrattleClackClackBUMPSKREEEEEE EClackClackClack

That rivulet of water that ran along the tracks? It's seeped under the tracks here, and destabilized them a bit. That's why this stretch is known to the slaves as The Shaker. Everyone must make a DC 10 Ride check (nobody has Ride, so it's a simple Dex check). Succeed and you're fine If you fail, then you take 1d3 of damage and must make a DC 12 Reflex save to avoid being thrown out of the cart.

(Brother Attero, you're at -2 on both the check and the save. LightBearer is a lonely calling for a reason.)

Silver Crusade

Per: +5 | Init +4 |Twin Fists!: +8/d8+7 |F:+7 R:+5 W: +9| |DF +3 BS +2 Warpriest 6 AC 21 HP 38/54| Blessings: 2/6| F: 2/6| 1st: 1/5 (1/2) 2nd: 1/4 (1/2) |

Dex!: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 - 2 = 3 =(
Hitting and it HURTS us!: 1d3 ⇒ 3
Ref sv!: 1d20 - 2 + 5 ⇒ (11) - 2 + 5 = 14

Attero is tossed and tussled something fierce, and he takes a hard smash to his arm in his attempts to keep the light stable. Passing over an unusually harsh bump he is FLUNG from the cart, only managing to catch hold of the edge of the rickety ride to pull himself back at the last second!


Rolling Ride checks for the halfling 1d20 ⇒ 10 and for Grinceroy 1d20 ⇒ 14 -- they're both fine.

Waiting on Morvius, Janeesa and Callinda.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Ride: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Morvius ought to have learned to ride, he knows that: it's the sort of thing a gentlemen ought to be able to do. But really, there are just too few hours in the day and rather too many more interesting diversions.

Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2

He pays for it now, as he is flung across the cart, colliding with someone else. "Sorry, sorry!" He shakes his head groggily to clear it.

Reflex save DC 12: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Thankfully, the exciting life of adventure that he has led means that his reflexes are excellent. There's no danger of him being ejected from the cart - that might be a little too interesting, after all.


Human Slayer (Cleaner) 6 | HP 33/46 | AC 20 t 14 ff 16 | CMD 22 | F+7 R+9 W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +9 Know(Dungeon, Local, Geog) +4 SenseMot +6

ride/dex for shooting - DC15: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
ride/dex for the shaker -- DC10: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 oops

damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3
reflex dc12: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 ...and hilarity ensues

As the cart rounds the corner onto the rickety section of track, Callinda leans forward, over-eager to take her shot at the slavers -- and is caught completely off-balance as Morvius careens into her. Her center of mass too high as she hits the side of the cart, she flips right over the edge with a yelp.

She lands painfully with a splash alongside the tracks as the cart speeds away from her, picking herself up in the darkness and cursing in pain and frustration.

guessing I'll need more than just that d3 of damage here?


Wait, the party -- all of whom have positive Dex modifiers -- is 0 for 3 on a DC 10 Dex check?

and Callinda's odds of double fail were 3%.

Hokay. Callinda, take another d6 of damage. Fortunately, the cart's not moving very fast yet, and you're not going over a bridge.


Janeesa should roll, and then y'all need to figure out a way to get Callinda back. Options include slowing down the cart so she can run and jump in, and... um, something magic?


Female Human 30/30 HP; AC 18/13/16; Init +5; Fort +5, Refl +3, Will +8; Per +3

Ride:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

I could throw Cal my rope and grapple, but being dragged might hurt a bit. last ditch option.


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

"Oh, Hellfire - Callinda!" Immediately forgetting his own bruises, Morvius scrambles up on to the top of the back of the cart, balancing on the edge precariously, stretching out as far as he can to try and catch his wayward companion.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

He uncoils his whip and uses it to add a few precious feet to his reach. "Cal! Grab this and we'll haul you back in."


Using Acrobatics: an interesting idea! Okay, try making an attack against AC 20 with your whip. If you succeed, Callinda can grab the whip. (Note that this doesn't, by itself, get her back in the cart.)


Male Human Vigilante 6 I HP 34/46 I AC 23(24) [T 12 FF 21] I CMD 22+ I F +5 R +8 W +6 I Init +2 I Percep +9 I Sense Motive +13 I

Whip v AC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Morvius has a lot of experience with the whip, and he gets it to go exactly where he wants, allowing Callinda to snag the end.


Okay: Strength check, please.

(Meanwhile, you're standing upright on a rattling shaking mine cart as it plunges madly downward. I see another Acrobatics check in your future.)

501 to 550 of 641 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DMDM's Fingerprints of the Fiend All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.