GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


3,551 to 3,600 of 3,788 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>

Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

Wren agrees with Caspan. ”If there’s no rangers left here, I say we get our new friend out of here and get back to our people.”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Wren, Jillian and Caspan are saying leave. Thael and Emil want to check the towers. Selde?


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Sorry, was both busy and sick this weekend.

Selde shook her head at the idea of further exploration. "We have risked more than enough already, we should leave." Selde said softly.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11

My only reason to explore is losing treasure we might have obtained, but in-game it doesn't make much sense to explore for completion's sake. Let's go.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

With the vote decided in leaving as quickly as possible, the group gathers as many of the provisions from the basement as possible before Jillian enacts her plan.

As she takes the form of Halk's brother, she speaks to a drunk and disorderly group of korreds that do not have enough wits about them to catch on to the ruse. As the dozen fey move into main gate, the group slinks out the southeast tower door into the courtyard.

Moving through the courtyard, Caspan is dismayed to see that he won't be able to carry the wagon himself and is going to be forced to leave it and the booze behind. About that time Selde, who had snuck ahead to the stables, calls out that there are two oxen in the stables that might be able to be used, but they appear on edge and unfriendly. They likely could be hitched to the wagon to pull it out, but someone would need to calm the animals first.

Let me know if you just want to roll out or try to resolve this first.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 6 | hp: 39/39 | Init +2 |AC 22 Touch 15 FF 19 CMD 17| F: +7 R: +4 (hasted) W: +8 | Perc +4 | Channels: 4/6 SWA: 9/9 BA: 6/6 | barkskin, shield of faith

Emil volunteers to see if he can calm the animals down, grateful for a task the doesn't require weapons.

Emil gets out a scroll and activate the Calm Animals on it.

Will Save negates. DC 10 (default for level 1 scroll). If they save, then he'll try to calm them using the diplomacy roll below, aided by anyone in the group.

Then he activates his ability to speak with animals and starts by talking to them, explaining who he is. He asks what they need and will do what he can to provide it. If they calm down, he'll explain that if they are willing to cooperate and do what he asks, he can lead them away from the fort and away from danger.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
To influence their attitude. If it helps this roll, he'll give them food and water and heal any wounds they may have.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
To get them to let us hitch them to the wagon and haul it away from the fort.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Though it is shaky at first, Emil eventually calms down the animals and convinces them that they are needed to pull this wagon away from the fort.

While they are hitching the wagon, the intrepid explorer Thael gives the stables a thorough once-over and finds six long-discarded col iron horsehoses and a single lucky horseshoe

With the wagon hitched and the stables cleared out, the group leads the oxen away from the fort and out into forest once more. After fifteen minutes of travel, they find the wood giant Herge with the rest of their survivors who are all relieved to see you.

Mia drops a bundle of sticks she is carry and runs towards Thael only to run past him and leap into Selde's arms as she dismounts, drowning her in kisses "I was so worried when you didn't return last night!"

Aubrin approaches Emil and slaps him on the back with a smirk playing on her face "Ha! See! I knew you were too stubborn to die in there! Pay up, Malcolm!"

The dwarf grumbles and tries to shove Caspan to the ground "Och sure! come back late, as usual. Ah hiner ye dain brooght me somethin' useful except mair dents in yer skull an' armur!"

Jet scoops up Wren and spins her in a circle, delighted to see her friend "Why didn't you tell us you would be gone overnight! We didn't know what to do? We were getting ready to send some in after you!"

Rhyna pulls Jillian into a hug and squeezes her tightly, not speaking for several seconds as tears run down her cheeks.

Lirosa, the half-elf warrior, approaches Thael and slings her arm around his neck. "I'm glad to see you made it back in one piece, wizard. Running bet around camp was that you were going to be eaten first, but I told them all you were too powerful for that."

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11
Quote:
Mia drops a bundle of sticks she is carry and runs towards Thael only to run past him.

It could be, perhaps, that GM's shoes were too tight.

It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small. ;P

Thael sighs as Mia runs past him, still feeling a somewhat empty hole in his heart. He isn't sure what to make of Lirosa putting an arm around him, oblivious to female advances as he has been in the past. But he does manage to take his eyes off Mia.

"I am glad to see you, too," he says, groaning at the thought that he would be eaten first.

"Your bet was sound. I have defensive spells and abilities that provide me with multiple layers of protection! Who, exactly, started this wager?! Caspan is much more likely to be eaten, as he is always in the thick of melee. Or what of Father Emil? He's older. I cannot tell if this is in jest, or if I should take umbrage."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde dropped her bow to catch Mia, eager to be drowned in kisses. "I'm sorry...there was more... resistance than we expected...We barricaded ourselves to rest...and recover our magic." Selde said inbetween gasps of air


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

Wren weakly smiles at the reception she received from Jett and the others. ”So good to see you again, young lady. It was bad in there. I won’t give you the details because I don’t really want to think about them again. There was only one survivor,” Wren whispers.

”He says he can lead us to another outpost the rangers have kept. Maybe we will have better luck there. Once we rest a bit that is. Tell me what you all have been up to the last couple days,” Wren asked, trying to shift the conversation to happier things.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian holds Rhyna tight, happy to see her and everyone else still doing well under the giants protection. When she overhears the others mention not knowing what had happened she makes a mental note to herself to clarify if and when any sort of help should be sent after them in the future when they have to split from the others.

After the reunion Jillian introduces the group to Cirieo and explains what happened in the fort, the fey having taken over. She also talks to Herge in gaint explaining what they found in the fort, that it appeared the Hobgoblins sacked the fort with the help of a dragon, killed most of the rangers, that fey took over the fort and left the rangers to die. Luckily, the group had found Cirieo, the last ranger, before he succumbed.

She explains that with Cirieo's help they are going to check the other forts and see about arming themselves in case they end up having to fight this dragon under the hobgoblins control. As she finishes she notes in Giant.

Giant:
"I don't know if you would wish to join us, but you are welcome to do so. We have a common enemy in these hobgoblins who seek to destroy everything we hold dear."


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

"What?" Caspan says, as the dwarf shoves him, resisting the impulse to shove her back before he realizes she was possibly being friendly. It was hard to tell with her inability to speak Common.

"I'm not late! But you have something useful? That's good. I could use something useful. All I got in there was some liquor and half a halfling," he grumbles. "Guess the liquor might be useful, but everyone else will probably want some too."

He waits expectantly to see what the something useful she was offering was.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lirosa laughs at Thael's reaction, shaking her arm around his neck as they walk "Oh, I never reveal my secrets that easily. You're going to need to offer a woman something in return for that." she flirts with him, blatantly as she handles him roughly as they walk.

The dwarf does a double take when Caspan talks, throwing her hands up in the air "Whit, ur yer lugs broken? Ah didne say Ah hud somethin' fur ye, Ah askt if ye brooght somethin' fur me! Hoo hart did ye burst yer heed thes time, ye big oaf!" she says, shoving him as she hops onto the wagon and starts to inspect the contents of the wagon. When she sees all of the alcohol, her face lights up with a huge grin. "Noo we ur talkin'! weel dain!"

After dozens of kisses, Mia stops to just squeeze Selde and tell her how much she's missed her. She whispers into her ear "I was so lonely last night. I've become spoiled with you keeping me warm." she pulls away and puts hands on each of the ranger's shoulders "Tell me you will be staying with us tonight? Please?"

Herge converses with Jillian in Giant, agreeing to accompany them under certain conditions.

Giant:
"I will not fight. I will watch over your companions while you fight and help you all live with harmony in the forest, but I do not want to fight."

Jet rolls her eyes at Wren "Mostly worrying, you know. When you all are around, well, everyone feels at ease and everything is okay. The moment you all set off though, it grows tense and quiet and everyone grows a little nervous."

After introductions are made, Cirieo asks what the plan is. "Are we headed to Fort Nunder then?"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian nods to Herge's condition.

Giant:

"I understand and your help in keeping our people safe and in harmony with the forest would be greatly appreciated."

When Cirieo asks about their next steps Jillian looks to him "There are two other forts right? Where are they both exactly? I mean if the other is on the way to Fort Nunder then we might as well go their first. Otherwise, yes it is probably best if we head on to Fort Nunder first."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Cirieo shakes his head no. "Ristin was the centrally located one between the two I suppose, if you can even call it that."

He picks up a stick and traces on the ground, drawing and R "We're here, Ristin." He drags the stack two feet to the left and draws the letter N on the ground while he says "Nunder's here." before moving the stick about a foot and a half above Ristin and draws a T in the dirt "Trevalay's here."

"Trevalay's probably slightly closer, but Nunder is where the weapon cache is." He taps the letter N on the ground twice and finishes "If you're trying to defend yourself from the dragon or anything else, I'd say your better bet is to hit Nunder first."


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

"Who hearts who?" Caspan asks confused. Finally, though, he realizes she wants to drink, and he's happy to indulge. He grabs a tankard, raising it to his favorite ass-mar, even if she wasn't responsible for this particular drink.

Hearing Cirieo, he nods in agreement. "If there's a dragon, we should get out of here, but if we can't do that, having something to help fight it makes sense."

One vote for Nunder.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11

Thael isn't sure why Lirosa is acting so friendly today. He hadn't been particularly close with her, and perhaps she was simply giving him a hard time.

Still, he was torn between moving on to the mission at hand, or talking to the dwarf blacksmith about re-forging his father's blade, or perhaps kissing Lirosa square on the mouth in sight of Mia and Selde--just to show that he didn't care. Thinking that unfair to Lirosa, he says "I appreciate you informing me of the wager--perhaps in the future you could let me know so that I might wager on myself. Those placing such bets know little of the many defensive magic spells I memorize daily, nor of the multiplicity of protective layers I might summon if required. For now, I am hearing discussions of our next course of action. This is a conversation I must attend to."

He pats her reassuringly on the shoulder, though it's evident he has spent little time flirting.

Overhearing the conversation about where to attend to next, he says "With a black dragon in the area, I think there is little reason to debate this. We must go to Nunder at once!"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian agreed with the others ”Yes, better to be prepared, especially if the other fort is essentially in the other direction. Are we set to start heading that way now? Probably best if we get some distance from the fey.”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Kining eager partakes a tankard and declares she will test all of the liquids to make sure they are safe for everyone.

After Thael mentions going to Nunder at once, Lirosa rolls her eyes and declares "You talk too much.", grabbing him roughly and spinning him around to face him. She plants her mouth on his and presses against it firmly. When she lets go, she pulls back and says [b"Welcome back."[/b], reaching down to slap him on the backside before winking and walking off, making sure to waggle her hips in view of him as she does so.

Cirieo, Commander of Fort Ristin, nods. "Very well. I'll lead the way when your group is prepared." he looks down at his missing leg and over to the wagon. "Actually... Do you mind if I provide directions and ride in the wagon for a bit? I'm not sure I'm up to the hike quite yet."


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 6 | hp: 39/39 | Init +2 |AC 22 Touch 15 FF 19 CMD 17| F: +7 R: +4 (hasted) W: +8 | Perc +4 | Channels: 4/6 SWA: 9/9 BA: 6/6 | barkskin, shield of faith

Emil puts an arm over Abby's shoulder and gives her a half hug, genuinely happy to see her. "I guess I kin be kinda stubborn 'bout things. Stayin' alive is one o' my favorites." He returns her smirk. "I've got some inspiration 'bout some new magic. Best tell ya about it later when things settle."

Emil makes the rounds, greeting each member of the community. When the cask of spirits is opened, he has a few mugs, sings a few songs, tells some stories, and tries to forget about the recent fights and also the fights to come.

When talk of the next destination settles on Nundar, Emil agrees it seems the best move.

As things begin to quiet down and those not on watch begin to go to sleep, Emil sits by Abby and says, "I don't want to git yer hopes up, but I think I might be able ta heal yer sight. I was prayin' fer spells and I think Erastil inspired me as ta how ta do it. Might not werk as I think it will, but meet me after you do yer prayers in the mornin' an' I'll give it a try. Can't do much fer yer foot, I'm 'fraid, but maybe that will be my next inspiration."


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

Caspan enjoys testing the liquors with Kining. By the end, he can almost understand her.

He's happy to push over and give Cirieo some room in the wagon he was smart enough to say they should take.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Mia wrote:
After dozens of kisses, Mia stops to just squeeze Selde and tell her how much she's missed her. She whispers into her ear "I was so lonely last night. I've become spoiled with you keeping me warm." she pulls away and puts hands on each of the ranger's shoulders "Tell me you will be staying with us tonight? Please?"

Staring in to Mia's pink eyes, Selde felt that even a dragon attack wouldn't prevent them from spending the night together. "Of course!" Selde nearly shouted in her excitement. Her right cheek flushed in embarrassment as she checked if anyone had noticed. "I mean, I'd really like that. You've...spoiled me too."

Unable to pull herself away from Mia, she missed the group discussion about where to go. However, she did manage catch Lirosa kiss her brother and smack him on the ass. The right side of her cheek flushed again as a high-pitched, but happy, giggle overtook her. Giving Thael a wave, she took Mia's hand to help the others pack up camp.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11
Quote:
After Thael mentions going to Nunder at once, Lirosa rolls her eyes and declares "You talk too much.", grabbing him roughly and spinning him around to face him. She plants her mouth on his and presses against it firmly. When she lets go, she pulls back and says [b"Welcome back."[/b], reaching down to slap him on the backside before winking and walking off, making sure to waggle her hips in view of him as she does so.

The normally verbose Thael is at a loss for words, for once. He isn't sure how to respond, having had very little interaction with Lirosa and not knowing if she's toying with him. He straightens his robes as he makes brief eye contact with his sister, and perhaps a bit more with Mia.

"Well--I--logic dictates that--err--" he stammers. "I'll--" he trails off as Lirosa leaves.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

After Jillian checks on the others in the camp and relates their plan to move on to the other fort she checks back with the others "So are we heading out now, or is there any reason we should wait here?"

It is still sometime during the day, like early-ish if I'm not mistaken?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

It's still early in the day. You've only had the one encounter today which you walked away from.


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

Let's keep going then.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Yeah pack things up and move on.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Yup, let's hit the road with Cirieo giving directions. I figure our group plus him and the cart in front, the others back a ways from us in case we run into any trouble on the road.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Aubrin is overwhelmed with Emil's words and doesn't know how to respond. "You... could restore... my sight?" she asks, staggered by the thought of her sight returning. "Oh Emil, don't tease a girl as such." she says, smiling and pushing his shoulder. "I won't get my hopes up of course, but it is certainly something I thought that'd I'd never get back again. Like the leg, of course. Don't go out of your way for me. Save your magic for those in need and these others that depend on you."

After a brief rest, the group is pulled together and prepared for travel once again. You head back out into the Fangwood, this time moving northwest towards Fort Nunder. The first day of travel passes without incident. On the second day, as you near the fort's location, you come upon a campsite.

Six bedrolls mark this orderly campsite, alongside a few packs and a firepit containing only ashes and an iron pot. Two hobgoblin corpses lie askew in the dirt, slim arrows protruding from their throats. Four partially decayed hobgoblin bodies are scattered around the clearing, all missing one or two limbs but otherwise intact.

You can make a Perception and Survival check to determine what happened here.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Survival 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Even though she hated to admit it, she was glad to see the grisly scene. The more of them killed, the better the chance all her friends would live.


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

"Hrngh," Caspan grunt as he sees the bodies. "Looks like something's helping us."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Caspan and Wren find the tracks of three large humanoids throughout the camp. There are large, broken tusk and several thick, green-black hairs on the ground that clearly look like they belong to trolls.

The tracks lead them both to the the bushes nearby where they find four gray porcupines the size of humans that lumber out of the undergrowth and move to surround the camp, hissing and raising their sharp, striped quills. They do not immediately attack.

Knowledge (nature) DC 12:
More so than its smaller kin, the human-sized giant porcupine is a foul-tempered creature that is just as content chewing on carrion as on living creatures. Worse, giant porcupines are notorious in their almost foolhardy bravery, and have been known to attack creatures much larger than their own size. This unexpected aggression, when combined with their tangle of spearlike quills, makes the giant porcupine a dangerous foe,

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11

Thael backs away slowly. "I would prefer not to become a pincushion. We do not need to engage these creatures--they seem to have inadvertently helped us."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

Know. Nature 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

”These things are mean, Thael. Maybe we could back away and make sure they know we aren’t taking their kill. They like carrion, so maybe we can use that to back away and avoid a fight.”


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

K. Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

"Scavengers, and foolishly brave ones at that. They want the bodies, Caspan help me."

Quickly start tossing the bodies away from the campsite. Let's grab the packs and keep moving.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

As the party backs away and then tosses the bodies, one of them cautiously approaches the halfling and sniffs at it a moment before beginning to chew on the body. The others follow its lead, ignoring you as they resume their feast.

The porcupines don't bother you as search through the hobgoblins' gear, which is cleaned and set neatly next to each bedroll. It's mostly mundane equipment, weapons, and armor, but you do find two things of interest: a magic scimitar and a magic set of boots.

Detect Magic, Spellcraft DC18:

+1 scimitar, boots of elvenkind

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11

Thael lights up as he finds that two if the items are magical.

"Intriguing. The arcane properties of magical items never cease to amaze me," he says.

My last level gave me the ability to always take 10 on spellcraft, so I reach that DC automatically.

Who wants them?


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

Boots for Selde, maybe? Who can use a scimitar?


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

Caspan looks at Selde like she's crazy as she starts tossing bodies. It's one thing to kill someone who's attacking you, but it's another to feed them to other monsters. He appreciates that they let them go in peace, but ... no thank you.

He shakes his head.

"That's disgusting," he growls.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is about to pull her sword to defend the others when Selde starts tossing the bodies and it seems to appease the creatures. Jillian steps up to help her as best she can so they can continue on their way.

Maybe the dwarf can use the scimitar to fix Thael's father's sword at some point?

Once they gather anything of value Jillian hurries them on "Let's go before they change their mind."


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 6 | hp: 39/39 | Init +2 |AC 22 Touch 15 FF 19 CMD 17| F: +7 R: +4 (hasted) W: +8 | Perc +4 | Channels: 4/6 SWA: 9/9 BA: 6/6 | barkskin, shield of faith

Before leaving:
Emil smiles warmly at Abby's response to his news about a spell to cure her blindness. "Always thinkin' uv others. Typical. Don't worry about the magic. Since my inspiration, I find I can prepare more spells than before. I'll check on you in the morning."

The morning after the first night of travel:
Emil prepares his spells as usual, but includes two castings of the spell to Remove Blindess/deafness. He notifies Abby and they move away from the group for privacy and Emil has her sit. He holds his palms together, saying, "Gus am faic na dall a-rithist." His hands glow with a golden aura. He gently covers her eyes and the glow fades. Holding his breath he removes his hands and waits, holding his breath.

At the campsite with giant porcupines.

Emil beings speaking in strange squeaks and grunts that sound a bit like a baby coos and calls, but much lower. As bodies are tossed their way, he says ...

Porcupine speak:
"Hey, you hungry? Here are some nice hobgoblins to feast on. We don't mean you any harm. We'll just be going."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Aubrin does not expect anything special when Emil prepares his spell. She holds his forearm and says "The gesture is enough, you know. I'm not getting my hops of up."

After the spell is cast, she blinks a few times before her eyes wide fully. She spins in a circle and begins laughing as she takes in the sights of the world around her for the first time in a long time. She exclaims loudly, completely flabbergasted. She finally turns to Emil, wide-eyed wonderment visible on her face. "I... can see!" she says excitedly.

---

You continue on, and another day passes without incident. On the third day another full day of walking passes and as dusk approaches, you reach Fort Nunder. This squat fort of stone and wood has been reduced to little more than rubble. The walls are collapsed into mounds of stones 15 feet high, while the former towers are nothing more than slightly taller piles. The fort is constructed in the lee of a tall, steep hill that towers another 10 feet above the fort itself. A wooden palisade atop the hill indicates that it was once used as a watch post, but the palisade is shattered and the post is unoccupied. The fort's gatehouse remains intact, although the rooms above it are now mere heaps of debris.

The gatehouse portcullis is raised and bent sideways beneath the heaps of stone filling the walkway above, providing a clear but shadowed passage to the fort's interior. On the other side of the passage, a lifelike statue stands with its arms forward and a welcoming smile on its face.

With her darkvision, Jillian can see a trio of monsters lurking in the shadows. Foul-looking fluids ooze from weeping sores across the scaly skin of these squat, powerful, and vaguely canine beasts.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 13:

These are trollhounds, vicious beasts whose bites carry disease. They can regenerate like trolls--only acid or fire can permanently kill them.

The creatures haven't noticed you yet, so you can prepare before you engage.


Male human brawler 6 64 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +10* CMD: 22* | F: +8, R: +7, W: +2 | Per +9 | Init +2

Caspan stretches his fingers momentarily, because making sure his fists are ready.

"Stupid dog things," he says. "They always make it tough, barking to let everyone know you're there."

He's ready, but suggests they could try looking around to see if there's some other way in.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 6 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 25/37| Init.+4 | Perc.+12 | CMD 13 |F+4, R+5, W+9(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 5 points/day

”Check out this new magic I’ve been working on,” Wren says, conspiratorially whispering. ”It’s neat!”

Cast Haste. Go get’em and remember your Haste bonuses!


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian points out the creatures to the others not sure what they are "Anyone know what those things are?"

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 / Arcane Savant 1 | HP 32/44 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +5; R +4; W +7 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +11

I would ID those automatically with my Arcana, but am not sure I can see them without darkvision.

Thael peers into the darkness with narrow eyes. "I'm not sure I can see them--" he says quietly.

knowledge (arcana, can always take 10): 10 + 16 = 26
Looking for 1) vulnerabilities 2) immunities 3) special abilities

Once I can see them, even if that's already in combat, I'll try to ID as set forth above.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Yep, you got it. Darkvision folks can see them to ID them, but you're going to need to light things up for everyone to get the look-see on.

A quick exploration around the area finds that this appears to be the only way into the crumbling building, with no other holes punched through walls that you could fit through. That said, it's feasible you could try to scale a wall somewhere else if you rather.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 6| HP: 0/42 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:20 | Ref:8 Fort:7 Will:8 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Some foul canines, they will be trouble whatever they are. And likely they'll have masters. We should prepare for an engagement. If we have to fall back I can make the plants attack to buy us time to escape." Selde said softly before she began to work a spell.

Selde will cast Barkskin on herself and Bull's Strength on Caspan


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 6 | HP 51/51 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 21 | Fort +10 | Ref +8 | Will +9 | Init +2 | Perc +10 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Before she launches a surprise attack she looks at the creatures for a moment trying to gauge their inherent nature.

Detect Evil


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I've updated the map. You are about 35' away at the front line and it's dark out, there is no visible light source at this time.
You may each take a surprise round action before combat begins.

Jillian does not detect evil from the big doggies.

Surprise: Party, foul canines.

3,551 to 3,600 of 3,788 << first < prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.