GM Dak - War for the Crown 1

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 2: Songbird, Scion, Saboteur
Part 1: Songbird

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Start Day: Oathday, 1st of Pharast, 4718
Current Day: Moonday, 12nd of Pharast, 4718


1,701 to 1,748 of 1,748 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng slightly inclines his head in thanks, then points an open palm at Count Lotheed. "Lursaf Nruh." He withdraws his hand and curls it into a fist at his chest, as if he's holding something.

Dismissing the spell. Sveng will remain in place until this gets sorted so nobody gets jumpy.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

After the Count can move again he looks around slightly confused. Sir Gusairne moves in close to whisper in the counts ear, pointing out the trip wire and crossbow. The count turns to look Sveng straight in the eyes appraisingly, obviously Sir Gusairne recounting Svengs part in things. After a moment the count nods and turns to Piri, Sveng and Eregos "It seems my gratitude is in order. I thank you for your assistance." He turns to the group at large as he continues "I can only fathom a guess that the Night Swan had hoped to put an end to me. If it weren't for our heroic new friends accompanying the Betony heir things may have taken a turn for the worst. My men and I will need to look into this incident. Please enjoy some refreshments while we wait for dinner to be served."

Apparently giving up on his speech he goes with Sir Gusairne to talk as guards start looking around the scene for any clues, and blocking access from anyone getting too close. The rest of those gathered start talking in whispered conversations.

Not really a social round, but let me know if there is anything you want to try and do while you wait for dinner.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng's eyes rapidly flick through the crowd, looking for any sign of betrayal to inner emotions. Was anybody here involved? Perhaps even the Count himself pulled this stunt for some bizarre reason? As things start to calm down he slowly starts working his way back into talking, mostly focusing on what just happened, partially to help explain away any concern for revealing his spellcasting abilities, but also to see if anybody is acting odd.

Sense motive to see if anybody is acting strangely. Using inspired to roll twice and take the better result.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri approaches the count and Sir Gusairne as they are leaving. "Ahem, I would like permission to help in your investigation. In the event that there may be further threats as yet unknown, I have a special set of skills in that area."

Piri begins to examine the trip-wire as well as the crossbow location and around to find clues. Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Eregos looks somewhat embarrassed at his delayed reaction - he'd basically thrown an empty platter for no reason. To cover himself, he grabbed a glass of wine and began listening in on the conversations around him, sure that everyone would be talking about the attempted assassination of the Count. Perhaps he could find someone whose reaction to the attempt was less than genuine.

Perception to overhear conversations: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Sense Motive if anyone is feigning their reaction: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The Count shakes his head and simply states "I appreciate it, but no need to bother yourself. My men will handle it." Piri does notice, as the grab the crossbow and tripwire there is a single black feather nearby, a feather that is rather out of place as none of the caged birds nearby have similar plumage.

Sven and Eregos do their best to look over those gathered but don't notice anything particularly out of the ordinary between the various guests, looking at all the main players. However, overall there are too many other less important guests to really get a good feel for everyone.

Count Lotheed directs his servants to hustle the guests inside the ballroom for dinner, then he commands his guards to investigate the scene of the crime. He also sternly instructs them not to let anyone interfere with their examination.

"Let us put aside the latest failure of that damnable Night Swan," Count Lotheed declares as he welcomes his guests into the ballroom. "The palace dining room, resplendent though it may be, is simply too small to contain all the noble, deserving friends of the Lotheed family. Thus, you are privileged to enjoy the finest meal in the most lavish hall in all of Meratt."

Purple Finch guides you to your seats along one of the long tables, just as the other guests' jesters lead them. As the forty or so guests are seated, a veritable parade marches through the ballroom. A levy of servants, dressed as sheep, lead a procession of steers and lambs around the table - introducing the guests to their meat before it is taken aside to be slaughtered, sliced, seared, and eventually served to the guests.

Sense Motive DC 20:

Baroness Voinum does well to hide her revulsion at the spectacle, but you catch her disapproving looks.

As you all wait you hear a call from across the call "What a sorry failure of a servant," Lord Titus loudly declares, delivering a stinging slap upon the back of Purple Finch. "Could you not provide a wash room or even nice clothes for your masters?" His eyes sharply dart towards your party, making it abundantly clear whom he really criticizes.

You have 3 social rounds during dinner. Also, how you respond to Lord Titus' obvious jibe may affect particular NPCs' perceptions of you.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36 I'm glad I'm not the only one repulsed at this sordid spectacle...

"Dear Purple Finch, please come, and let me see to your injury. Hopefully it will not leave a mark or lasting pain. I have a bit of healing magic available in any case. A pity that such a forceful blow could not have been delivered during the joust competition, hmm? It appears... how shall I say... wasted, now that the competition is over."

Intimidate/Insult Titus: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng has to hide the wry smile that threatens the corners of his lips. He has a particularly nasty response. "My Lord Titus, I am glad to see the jousting did not take your spirit. But if I may humbly suggest, there are better ways to influence those around you than striking a woman far smaller than yourself." Sveng's remark comes off as advice while still putting his brutish nature on full display, making it a difficult insult to come back to.

Assist Valeria's Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Even as he throws his weight in he is casing his next target, Onara Piscum. Where can the man be poked and prodded at?

Sense Motive (Discover Bias, Onara Piscum) DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Valeria uses a charge from one of the wands of cure light wounds she is carrying on the Purple Finch, making a show of it and making sure she position herself at an angle where everyone can see the magic sparkles spew forth from the wand's tip, shaped like a multicolored songbird.

Wand of CLW on Purple Finch: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

After several minutes, the young (-2) Valeria approaches Baroness Voinum at a time when her cup has been refilled (+2), and asks her about the agricultural traditions of Meratt.

"I know I will soon find out about Stachys' strengths and potential regarding what crops grow best in the barony's soil, but I would be much obliged if you could give us all a few pieces of advice regarding Meratt's exports. What was the Betony Estate, historically, renowned for? and may I ask about your exports? what do you enjoy selling the most, and what do your current surpluses consist of? with all due respect, of course."

Dinner Social Round 1, Influence vs. Voinum, using history/tradition weakness: 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 17 + 4 = 37


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Prior to socializing, Piri wants to do some research quickly on the black feather.

Sense Mot.: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Kn. Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

kn.:
Piri will share the information about discovering the feather with the party and also whatever he comes up with from the knowledge check.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby is no hot-head, having been raised by an even tempered father and mother. His farm upbringing does him honor as he is able to ignore the cowardly Titus's actions, even as he thinks to himself... I am going to kill that man. In the right time, and right place.

Bowing to Sepsinia again, he makes his way back over to Baron Okerra. "My lord, you truly were a worthy opponent. Your horse handling skills were quite adept. Tell me of your horse training techniques. I am always looking for a pointer or two."

handle animal: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 30

the +2 bonuses are for the joust victory and because toby is lawful as it mentions on the sheet


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Parading the animals before your guests before killing them seemed rather gauche, and dressing the servants up as sheep and such seemed to put them on the same level as the livestock. Catching the Baroness's compressed lips, he knew he shared Baroness Voinum's disapproval of the spectacle.

Eregos raises his eyebrows at Lord Titus's insult to them. He'd seen the like before - in fact, back when he was at school, he'd done a similar thing - insulting people indirectly. Had he seemed as petty when he did so? While the disgrace to his family name and the fates of his father and brother were hardly ideal outcomes, being disowned and cut off from the family's wealth may have been a blessing in disguise for him. He'd become a much better person for it.

Turning to Sydney, he says, "Tell me, friend, do you think it more petty or cowardly to direct an insult towards the party it's not intended for?"

Aid Valeria's Intimidate: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Tribune Piscum was one person they hadn't been able to interact with much, so Eregos decided to see what it was that might make her more susceptible to their attempts to influence her.

Sense Motive, discover Weaknesses for Onora Piscum: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, also senses a lack of influence with Onora Piscum and nears her to attempt to discover her weakness. Simple observation of her expressions, topics of conversation, reactions to others and subtle body movements.

Sense Mot.: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Valeria chastisement leaves Lord Titus tight-lipped and stone-faced. However, Sveng's more pointed jab causes a sneer to cut across Lord Titus' face.

"Bah the girl is fine..." Lord Titus declares to Sveng, raising his arms to the side. "As for the joust, just because your peasant boy got lucky doesn't make you all the heroes of Meratt... Dinner would be served and grow cold before I finished recounting my exploits. Meanwhile, you could scribble your merits on a ripped handkerchief - assuming you know how to write more than your name."

Count Lotheed rises from his chair. He remains wordless, but the groan of his chair leg dragging across the floor punctuates his mood loudly enough. He is visibly displeased by this spectacle, but his free-loading cousin knows well enough to close his mouth and retreat to his own seat.

Despite the host's displeasure, Tribune Onora offers an open, beaming smile as she watches the petulant Lord Titus snatch a glass of wine from a passing servant's tray and stomp away to his chair. She even stifles a chuckle seeing him taken down a peg as Eregos offers one last polite jibe to send him on his way.

"About time someone delivered his foot back to his mouth and spared our ears any more of his trite," Baroness Voinum mutters quietly, within earshot of Valeria.

One influence success is lost with Count Lotheed, but one success each is gained with Tribune Onora and Baroness Voinum.

As appetizers are server and the night progresses Sveng pays particularly close attention to Onara. He notices that she seems to despises anyone who flaunts their wealth and power, but she warms up to anyone who clearly understands a practical skill or two.

Bias Discovered.

Once the dinner is in full swing Valeria seizes an opportunity to get Baroness Voinum's attention and talk to her about imports and exports. The Baroness smiles as she replies "It is good you are already thinking about the most fruitful avenues to administer your lands and more importantly the best means of working with your neighbors. First off, I would recommend you working with Tribune Piscum. She has been administering the lands in the absence of an heir so would have a much better idea of what work lays ahead of you."

She continues on telling Val how this temperate climate is ideal for farming a variety of crops, including grains, grapes, olives, and a variety of fruits. However, because of the overworked soil in many parts of this area of Taldor, such ventures are less fruitful in the county of Meratt than one might think.

Eventually she leans in close to Valeria as she notes "Admittedly, I had a certain fondness for the grapes of the Betony vineyards once produced before the fields flooded and if you can restore the estate farms, I’ll happily agree to a trade deal that would provide you with extensive infrastructure repairs"

+2 Successful influence. Voinum is now Friendly.

Toby makes sure to talk shop with Baron Okerra as they've become buddies after the joust. The Baron smiles and pats Toby on the shoulder happy to relate his advice on riding, one of his favorite pastimes. He notes how he grew up as a young boy riding and has done so ever since. He explains how important it is to establish trust with your mount and treat them it with compassion only then can you form a true bond and really ride as one. The two of you continue on for some time talking about the best ways to handle a mount.

+2 Successful influence.

Both Eregos and Piri try to get a read on Onara, but for the first part of dinner she mainly keeps to herself and focuses on eating, not really talking with the other guests much making it hard to really glean any useful information.

No Success on either

Will let Sydney get in his round 1 during round 2. Everyone else, let's continue on to Round 2!


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Hmm, not much help that, as I'm clearly not a 'hands-on' type. Still, progress must be made. Sveng finds a way to get close to Onara Piscum's side, and leans in. "Quite garish, that whole display with the animals. Although interestingly enough there used to be a far more honorable version of such a parade. It was to give thanks for a good bounty, although typically it was a feast gifted from a lord to their vassals. Interesting how past practices impact current ones."

Influence Onara Piscum Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Valeria's eyes gleam in genuine gratitude upon hearing Baroness Voinum's advice. "You honor me with such wisdom, Baroness Voinum. I shall put your advice into practice immediately, and discuss the nature of things with Onara. We had exactly one night and one night only at the estate before we had to leave for the Jubilee, so we're not unpacked yet. I will make sure to prioritize, if feasible, the draining of the swamps surrounding the estate. This joint venture involving restored vineyards is appealing to say the least."

Valeria slightly bow her head to the Lady Voinum and moves down a few seats towards Onara, joining Sveng.

"Ah! dear Sveng! how is your evening so far? may I join you and Tribune Piscum? it is good that you are both here as it seems fortune is smiling upon Stachys! I was just talking to Baroness Voinum about trade and she mentions that the village has flooded fields that once produced excellent vineyards. She is extremely interested in helping us restore those farms. Dear Onara: are you caught up with the latest news regarding our farms? I've never worked on a farm, being a city girl, but I have experience in tailoring, and I've worked with all kinds of textiles, so I'm not adverse to hard work and long hours. I made this dress myself: what do you think?"

Dinner Social Round 2, Influence vs. Onara, via Diplomacy, using Craft bias: 1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 17 + 2 = 31


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Erm, would Profession (Gambler) count for the bonus on the Tribune's bias? It is a Profession skill, but I don't know that I would call it practical.


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Sydney listens and watches, waiting for a place to be useful. Once he sees Onara is still not too friendly, he comes in to try and influence her.

Round 1
Influence, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34

Round 2
Influence, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

@Eregos I would say no. Needs to be a more hands on profession like baker/fisherman/miner, etc.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby finds himself having a great time with Baron Okerra and he wishes to this core that this man isn't wrapped up in the evil going ons of this Count.

"I couldn't agree more, Baron. Why, Hayseed is practically my best friend. There is trust between us; and he would never do me wrong and I the same for him. Why, I wish people were as trustworthy as horses. They are never rude; never sneaky. Though I have had a nip from them once or twice when I don't feed them fast enough!" Toby purposely lets his gaze go toward Titus when he speaks of people being rude and sneaky.

ride: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 2 = 26


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

That's how I would have ruled, too.

Eregos continued trying to figure out what made Tribune Piscum more susceptible to their arguments.

Sense Motive for Tribune's Weakness: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sveng goes to work talking with Onara Piscum, the woman looks intrigued as Sveng details the old rituals and as he remarks about past practices influencing current ones she rolls her eyes and remarks "Very true, but leave it up to the Count to make something worthwhile into an overly extravagant display of wealth and power..." She puts a hand over her mouth realizing what she just said and hesitantly smiles "I... uh... no disrespect of course, I just... I was thinking maybe the money could be spent better elsewhere." She hurridly takes a sip of wine before laughing trying to change the subject "Anyway... you are with the new Betony heir am I correct? Seems we may be doing some work together in the future yes?"

+1 Influence success.

As Valeria comes over and interjects herself into the conversation with Sveng and Onara the woman's head seems to spin as Valeria jumps from topic to topic but she smiles and finally says "Oh... you made that dress? It is lovely for sure, I mean... a bit beyond something I think I could really afford but you look stunning in it my Lady." She promptly bows her head slightly as she continues "A pleasure to official meet you my Lady. As I was telling your friend, as honorary tribune I expect we will be working together a lot in the days to come. As to the lands you mentioned. Indeed they have been flooded for some time, but they were mostly in use from Lady Betony. After her passing their upkeep fell to the wayside as we focused on our own lands. Once I return to town I would be happy to look further into the matter."

+2 Successful influence.

Sydney comes over to join the trio already talking telling Onara how he is glad to be here to help Lady Tennesen in her endeavors to make Stachys and the Betony estate a highlight of Meratt again. He explains how he will use whatever powers he can to aid in their endevaors. Onara, smiles hesitantly from all the attention at once and thanks Sydney for his kind words and notes she will hold him and all of them to their word of trying to build Stachys back up after so many years of neglect.

+2 Successful influence.

Toby and Baron Okerra continuing their bromance talking about their love for horses. The Baron lets out a short chuckle as Toby mentions getting nipped and nods "Indeed, they are majestic creatures, but can be short on patience, especially when it comes to their food. Though I suppose most anything, gets a bit grumpy when it is hungry." He pats Toby on the shoulder and continues "You know, I'll have to see if I can't spare some supplies and resources to help you and your companions in getting the Betony estate and surrounding lands rebuilt. Maybe help to get you some proper fields for Hayseed to run in."

+2 Successful influence.

Eregos continues watching Onara as she talks with the others, now much more engaged in conversation he picks up on a little tidbit. It seems she really enjoys homespun metaphors and colloquialisms.

Weakness discovered.

After the appetizers the main meal is brought out from everyone's various selections of meat from earlier. The food looks delicious and everyone is happy to sit and eat the luxurious meal, while talking among themselves.

On to Round 3.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng gives a somewhat amused smile as the meat is brought out. "I can't help but to agree. It's like an example of how some corrupted officials will cause pain to the vulnerable in order to impress people."

Influence Onara Piscum Knowledge (History) (plus weakness): 1d20 + 9 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 4 = 14

Sveng's metaphor almost falls very flat, but he can sense the mood about to shift and readjusts. "Well, how they can appear anyways, it is important to know that sacrifice, carefully done, is vital for the overall good of society." He takes a bite with a smile, finishing his transition from a potentially extremely offensive jibe to a more intentionally moderate comment on politics at large.

Influence Onara Picsum Reroll Knowledge (History) (plus weakness): 1d20 + 9 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 4 + 4 = 27


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Seeing that Onara is in good hands with all the boys, she nods in acceptance at her suggestion of working together on the Betony Estate fields later. For now, she grabs a champagne glass and head back to the Count.

"Your Excellency, we have discovered that some of the Betony Estate fields are flooded. Do you happen to know if the estate once used magic to get rid of that water or if they simply relied on hard labor, ditches and luck? Lady Allis passed away when I was but a young girl, you see, and I never got to the age when we could come and visit all the way from Cheliax..."

Social Round 3, Influence, Count Lotheed, Diplomacy, Fellow Arcane User: 1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 17 + 2 = 28


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, overhearing a little of the conversation on history Onara Piscum is having with Sveng and uses attempts again to figure out her motivations.

going to go twice since I probably missed at least a round, I'm back by the way!

Sense Motive + weakness, insp.: 1d20 + 9 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 4 + (1) = 17

Sense Motive + weakness, insp.: 1d20 + 9 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 4 + (3) = 36

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Staying with Baron Okerra, Toby turns the conversation slightly before it begins to get stale and tells a story of how he and Hayseed herded cattle back in the days of his farming youth.

handle animal: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Onara nods to Sveng's words, specifically after he adjusts "True, though it seems that the sacrifice is often the burden of the common folk and rarely that of the nobels." she replies as she frowns and turns takes a bite of food. The two go back and forth talking in some depth of the struggles of the common folk throughout history and Onara seems to be impressed by Sveng's depth of knowledge. Eventually she notes "I must say, I think Lady Tanessen was wise to bring you along to assist with things in Stachys. When I return I will be sure to throw my support behind you and your friends to the people of Stachys. I should only hope it will help to give you an upper hand in improving things there."

+2 Successful influence. She is now friendly and when you are all back in Stachy the rest of the town will have their attitude s#%+ed one step up in the positive.

Val heads over to talk with the count, specifically about her new lands she is to manage. As she asks about magic the count shakes his head "No, not that I am aware of. I believe it was just hard work from the local people, though I would image utilizing some sort of magical aid may be of use." He takes a sip of wine and then smiles "You know, I just remembered, in the absence of proper leadership I took it upon myself to collect taxes for your lands. I've kept them in holding for your you to use. It is a reasonable sum mostly of timber and supplies, but I'm sure you could sell it off or perhaps put it to good use in seeing the Betonay lands returned to their former glory."

+1 Successful influence. Count Lotheed is now Helpful, the taxes he is offering can either be sold for 2000 gold, or used later to make town improvements worth 8000 gold.

Piri watches Onara and Sveng and picks up on the fact that she enjoys homespun metaphors and colloquialisms.

Weakness discovered again

Toby and Baron Okerra continue talking about their mounts but there is only so much you can on the subject and Toby eventually goes back to his youth and his companionship with Hayseed. The Baron smiles and listens politely as he eats seeming to at least appreciate the long bond the two had shared.

+1 Successful influence.

Once the feast is finished, the servants clear away the tables and chairs, opening up the ballroom for the next spectacle of the evening. A fanfare of trumpets announces the arrival of six halflings dressed like Taldan heroes of yore. They ride atop miniature, gaudily painted chariots pulled by dogs. The charioteers pause to caper and cavort for the noble audience as the servants lay out a racetrack within the ballroom, marked by pennants and whitewashed arches.

As the servants finalize the impromptu chariot track, Purple Finch walks over to the Betony party. Her arms are overflowing as she juggles over a dozen silken sachets. She passes them out to you, three apiece, as she explains.

"The charioteers will race for three dogged laps. You can use these to try and distract the other racers to ensure that your champion finishes first and does not come up short."

A sudden, pained look of anxiety crosses Alista's face - visible even beneath her Purple Finch mask - as she worries whether making a "short" joke about halflings is crossing a line too far.

Perception DC22:
Sir Gul Gusairne appears to be quite disdainful of this event.

Pick a racer to back: Red, Blue, Green, Gold, White, or Black. The halflings race about the ballroom three times, dodging a series of obstacles on the way, while the guests look on and cheer their champions. To spice things up, each guest is given three silken sachets filled with brightly colored powder to hurl at racers in an attempt to blind them. Anyone who throws a sachet at a passing racer must make a ranged attack against AC 14 to hit the driver, or AC 18 to temporarily blind the driver; the sachets count as improvised weapons. Characters can hurl only one sachet each round. You are also welcome to not participate if you prefer.

You will also have one additional social round during the race to interact with NPCs.


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Eregos looks at the halflings as they come in, then looks over their targeted nobles to see what their reaction is.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Trying to see if any of the nobles dislike this event.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10 Trying to get the feeling from others as to the perception of the race.

Piri is still speaking with Onora about the race, using a homespun colloquialism..."The fleetest of foot does not always win the race"

Then continuing with examples from past history.
Kn Hist: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 8 + (6) = 34


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Eregos can tell that for the most part the other guests seem at least mildly amused. You get the feeling that this isn't something new for them, likely something that has occurred at Jubilee's past, but he only has time to glance between the prominent attendees and none of the other guests or staff. Piri is too distracted by the spectecal of it all to really notice anything, instead going to talk with Onara some more.

To note, if you do plan to participate, go ahead and make all three throws in one post and which halfling you are hoping to win and I will calculate the results at the end.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby watches but doesn't participate. Something about the event feels... repressive.

I suppose the other nobles could do a sense motive on me to see I don't approve, if it mattered.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Don't forget whether you participate or not, you can do one more social round action.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Valeria return from her seat besides Count Lotheed, and on the way back whispers in Onara's ear to inform her that funds have been allocated to Stachys by the County. "Perhaps we can have a quick chat after the Jubilee and determine where these initial monies would be best put to use?"

She then switches to Voinum, and on the way there, grabs two glasses of the finest vintage she can find on the side tables.

"I've met many a halfling slave during my time in Cheliax, but I did not expect the original Taldor 'Homeland' to share in this practice. Halflings are a proud, incredibly talented people, and this cultural subjugation is senseless, and debased. These racers cannot be doing this willingly. One would not even treat their own children in this manner during a kids' birthday party, even if the children would be willing to participate! and these are grown up halflings. Despicable. Baroness: please tell me this is NOT the way things are handled in Meratt!"

Additional Social Round, Influence, Baroness Voinum, Bluff, Young, Wine; Weakness History & Tradition Related: 1d20 + 17 - 2 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 17 - 2 + 2 + 4 = 37

Valeria appears deeply offended by the whole things, and slouches back in her seat in protest, sighing repeatedly and casting reprimanding stares at anyone daring to throw one of these things at the halflings nearby.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, elects not to participate, given the repressive nature of the contest. And the stern lecture from Val He does keep the colored powdered bags to examine the materials at a later time.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby heads over to Tribune Piscum and watches the race with her. "Their riding technique is solid given their poor circumstances. But to treat halflings as a joke does a disservice to the race and to the dogs. Why back on the farm, we would say that a dog was a valuable member of the family. Watches over you at night, herds the sheep during the day. Why, our family dog put in more work hours than my younger brother Joshua!" He laughs, trying to make sure that she knows he is joking.

handle animal plus joust and skill type bonus: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 25


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Eregos, uncomfortable with the spectacle, goes over to Valeria and reassuringly squeezes her shoulder, before saying to the Baroness, "The treatment of halflings in Cheliax really is appalling. Like my cousin, I do not find making sport of them to be particularly good entertainment."

Knowledge (local), Wine, Young: 1d20 + 8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 - 2 = 13

He remains quiet during the race afterwards, seemingly staring moodily at his winecup.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng inclines his head thankfully at her offered aid. "Your aid is graciously accepted, I am certain Lady Valeria will be thrilled."

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Sveng makes his way over to Baroness Voinum. "What is your take on all of this? I can't help but to feel a sour taste in my mouth, but I know that at the same time halfling slaves are a long tradition."

He pauses a moment, then makes a slightly further prod. "Would this be a tradition you think should be upheld or reevaluated?"

Influence Baronness Voinum with Knowledge (local), (Bias, Weakness): 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 16 + 2 + 4 = 25
Recall Influence Baronness Voinum with Knowledge (local), (Bias, Weakness, Recall): 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 16 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 46

*Flexes knowledge (local) checks*


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

While Valeria, Sveng and Eregos all comment on the race, not participating Baroness Voinum does much the same. When Eregos speaks up she rolls her eyes and looks to each of you in turn. "While I appreciate the sentiment, and I personally think this tom foolery is benefiting, this is their job. Distasteful though some of their duties may be, the Count does provide fair wages for those in his employ. They are free to leave his service if it proves to be too much for them."

Val and Sveng +2 Successful influence. Eregos no success.

Piri and Toby both huddle around Onara as they watch, but do not participate. However, Ms. Piscum joins in on the fun, trying to play along. As Piri makes his comment she laughs and pats him on the shoulder "Indeed, plus it even if you are fast, when you are getting hit by bags of powder it does make things incredibly more difficult!"

As Toby mentions about their riding technique and goes on about dogs Onara smiles "Don't worry, it's all in good fun!"

Each of you get +2 Successful influence.

After the final lap, the Blue charioteer crosses the finish line first, eliciting cheers from Count Lotheed and others, as well as the hint of a smile from Baron Okerra. Gold finishes in second place, followed closely by Red, the racer supported by Lord Titus' drunken voice.

.....

The halflings, their chariots, and their canine steeds are ushered out a door to the gardens. Sir Gusairne summons a new cadre of servants armed with push brooms to sweep away the dusting of powder from the sachets. Count Lotheed's right-hand man grumbles about the way his halfling servants were abused by the nobles, shaking his head in impotent frustration.

Several of the dining tables, freshly cleaned, have been moved to adjoining entertaining spaces, and decks of cards have been laid out upon their surfaces. Meanwhile, a troupe of musicians enters from the topiary garden. Purple Finch grinds her teeth as she watches them set up and tune their instruments.

"Should we hire the flutist for the musical performance? No, let's slap a mask on her and call her a jester," she fumes not-so-quietly.

Meanwhile, Dame Crabbe quickly turns her head, looking first to the card tables, then the soon-to-be dance floor, and then back again, clearly caught in a dilemma.

"Oh, phooey. They are setting up for Last Azlant," she says, gripping the hem of one of her petticoats, "But I need to play steward for Sepsinia's dance card."

The first evening of the Jubilee concludes with dancing and cards.
There will be 4 social rounds during this event. You can decide whether to play cards or seek one or more dance partners.
To Note, so far you've managed to completely influence everyone except Baron Okerra and Baroness Voinum.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Did I hear DANCE?!? how does it work? do I roll Perform Dance above and beyond the regular social round rolls as normal? or does Perform Dance replaces the social skill check?


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng nods to Baroness Voinum, but inwardly his thoughts conflict with hers. The only well playing employer in town forcing his servants to do this is still a form of slavery. But he holds his tongue.

Sveng decides to play cards; he is not an incompetent dancer, but neither is he an impressive one, and he is much better at cards. As they start setting up the table Sveng makes it a point to ensure everybody has ample drinks, and as that is getting situated he asks each person what regional rule set they're used to playing and pushes for a more traditional style of game. Voinum you may be a tough nut to crack but I am more than capable.

Influence Baronness Voinum with Knowledge (local), (Bias, Weakness): 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 16 + 2 + 4 = 38


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

No specific rules, but I would definitely allow you to substitute social rolls for perform dance with you particular dance partner.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Baroness Valeria is first to stride unto the dance floor, and as the music starts, she looks to the Count and extends her hand for him to kiss it and join her in opening the dance.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, certainly more of a card player than dancer, moves slowly over to the card tables 'sizing up' his likely opponents. hmm, probably best to play the easy mark Piri moves to attempt to join the table with Baron Okerra and maybe discover a weakness. "My good sir, what a respectable gentleman, good with a steed and lance, and able to deftly play the hand dealt to you "

Sens. Moti: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 0/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby sits with Piri and Baron Okerra to play cards.

"Be careful my lord, my skill at cards equally matches my skill of the joust. And if you are the same, then we have another battle ahead of us!"

diplomacy+lawful+joust: 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 2 + 10 = 26


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sveng sits down with Baroness Voinum to play some cards with a couple of other guests. He sparks up a conversation on local rules and compares them to the more traditional rules he is accustomed to but appreciates getting to know the local customs. Baroness Voinum is happy to teach him the subtle differences and get the game started.

+2 Successful influences.

Valeria offers her hand to the Count for the opening dance and he is happy to oblige.

Val-Perf.Dance: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33

Even though the Count is already extremely impressed with Lady Tanessen and her companions he is amazed at her skill on the dance floor, and actually has a bit of smile on his face for the first time this evening.

The count is already fully influenced, but you get extra brownie points for being such a wonderful dancer.

Piri and Toby sit down with Baron Okerra at another table to play cards. The Baron accepts Toby's challange with a smirk "Well, it will be an honor to battle such a worthy opponent once again!" He smiles and bows his head to Piri comment as the game gets under way.

+2 Successful influence.

With Sveng only needing one more success, I will assume that happens pretty easily. Going to expedite some of this to move us along through the rest of the Jubilee.

After the first dance, an attractive woman in her late forties arrives at the party. After a few moments of genuine surprise among those at the gathering, she formally introduces herself as Duchess Veleto Lotheed

Perception DC 35:
Something is off about the woman it looks as though she is actually made of very fine layers of paint and not actual flesh.

She begins looking around the dance hall for a partner. As Count Lotheed takes note of the new arrival he promptly excuses himself from Valeria and begins to walk toward his aunt at a hurried pace.

Let me know if anyone does anything.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

"Sir Osbourne, may I borrow dear Baron Okerra from you and your game of cards for a moment? Baron, would you grant me this dance?"
Round 2 Val Perf Dance with Okerra: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35

"Sir Gusairne, I have noticed your decorum and decency when the sordid affront to the halfling community happened earlier. Would you grace me with a dance, so that we can talk and get to know each other better? I am curious to hear your ideas on how to improve the state of this County."
Round 3 Val Perf Dance with Gusairne: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

"Dear Sveng! mind giving this a try? I will be gentle, I promise!"
Round 4 Val Perf Dance with Sveng: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35 Using Inspire Competence to make him look like a flawless dancer to boost his attempt to influence immediately following this dance


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

I can't make that perception check even with a nat 20.

Sveng looks at Duchess Veleto Lotheed, attempting to recall anything he can about her.

Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

That's out of reach for me, too. Sorry for the posting delay. Bad weather prevented my mother-in-law from coming to watch the baby, so I took the day off work to do it.

Upon Duchess Lotheed's arrival, Eregos notes her and attempts to recall everything he can about her.

Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

1,701 to 1,748 of 1,748 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Dak - War for the Crown 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.