GM Dak - War for the Crown 1

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 2: Songbird, Scion, Saboteur
Part 1: Songbird

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Start Day: Oathday, 1st of Pharast, 4718
Current Day: Moonday, 12nd of Pharast, 4718


1,551 to 1,598 of 1,598 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

percep: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Toby allows his eyes a huge eye roll before raising his helmet visor in his attempt to look less threatening. As the pompous porter with the strange mask gives a typical noble greeting, Toby says nothing but merely sits on Hayseed and continues scanning the courtyard for threats.

Darn. Hard to see who is trying to kill us in the sea of masks and strangers.


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Pompous windbag. It is an honor to be your neighbors? Somehow I doubt that.

Eregos disembarks from the carriage and steps to the side, offering his hand to Valeria so she can disembark.

Gonna let Valeria handle the initial contact, I think.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Mhmm, so reports ring true. The worst kind of corruption, laziness, because it is the hardest to justify uprooting. Pernicious, subtle, corrosive. He clicks his tongue. But usually the least violent to get rid of as well.

As they roll up Sveng scowls. [i]Servants with masks. What a rookie mistake. That's practically asking to be infiltrated. This is going to be exhausting. Before the carriage door opens he leans in to the others. "Masks are bad news, anybody can be under them. Do not let the servants be invisible in your mind, anybody whose face you can't see is a potential threat."

Agreed to let Valeria handle initial contact.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Ah yes... the Princess' loving hands are much needed here. The stewards have not truly 'enjoyed' the beauty here, just sat on it to squeeze it for all its worth... a shame...

Valeria takes Eregos' hand and disembarks. Nodding her thanks to him, she reacts to the approaching Count with a faint smile and a curtsy, and holds her hand out for him.

"Baroness Valeria Tanessen, at your service, Your Lordship. Let me assure you that the honor is mine. We are truly pleased to attend this Jubilee. In attendance with me today, My Lord, are a few of my cousins and friends of peerage."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

GM:

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36

The count eyes each of the men who step out ahead of Lady Tanessen without any sort of introduction but when Valeria steps out and introduces herself he takes her hand and brushes his lips against the back of her gloved hand in a courtly gesture. "With a fabulous outfit like that, my lady, it seems that you are assuredly here to be seen," he says with a sly wink.

He takes Valeria's arm and loops it with his own as he walks with her toward the palace. Fine laburnum trees blossoming with yellow flowers flank the drive leading up to the palace, with a large fountain and several statues providing ostentation. He notes along the way "Most of our esteemed company will be staying in guest cottages upon our estate. However, I would be remiss if I did not offer the palace apartments to you. It would be a crime if we did not show our new neighbors the grandeur of the Lotheed family's hospitality."

As you near the entrance to the estate he let's go of Valeria and gives her a slight bow. "I must get ready to kick things off and great a few of the remaining guests. Our servants will show you to your rooms. Then, feel free to mingle and sample the fine local white wines, cheeses, and jellied calves' feet that will be brought out straight away. The tournament will start one hour hence."

The servants lead you through an opulent grand hall with unsettling white walls. The walls are decorated with portraits and four carved columns support the ceiling. The columns are carved in the likenesses of Abadar, Aroden, Cayden Cailean, and Shelyn. The ceiling is painted with a fresco map of Taldor, representing the pillars of faith that support the nation.

On the far side of the hall, doors open onto a marble porch overlooking a garden of bushes, green grass, and hedges cut into rampant lions and owls, all arranged around a fountain. The tweeting, twittering, and hotting of songbirds arranged in gold cages around the porch is nearly deafening.

Out on the veranda are tables laden with fine local white wines, cheeses, and jellied calves' feet. Guests gather to converse and mingle as entertainers perform for their amusement.

You spot several notable guests who have arrived already. The most familiar face is Baron Nicolaus Okerra, once more standing a head above most of the crowd. Near him is a broad, middle-aged woman with a wide smile and expressive eyes. A young girl stands beside her, rail-thin and pale, and looking vaguely surprised or frightened by everything. These are Dame Parthena Crabbe and her daughter, Sepsinia.

Elsewhere, an older woman surveys the crowd imperiously. Though age has begun to bend her strong frame, she still stands six feet tall. A scar across her face is proudly displayed. This is Her Grace Baroness Legate Adella Voinum.

Finally, you spot a plain, muscular, and heavily freckled half-elf with salt-and-pepper hair. She is dressed much less ostentatiously than most of the guests. This is Onora Piscum, the honorary tribune of Stachys in the absence of a Bettony heir.

Time for social rounds again! You will have one round right now before the first event starts. The rules are similar to the those at the gala. However, where the gala was relatively short and you were only focused on making good first impressions, these influence checks represent getting into the long-term good graces of the various guests.

Each round you may make either an influence check or a discovery check which is used to learn which skills can be used to influence a guest, or a guest's weakness. You can also try a separate discovery check to learn a guests strengths, topics or approaches that they are particularly resistant to, imposing a -4 penalty on your influence check if you attempt to use that tactic. You can also attempt a third type of discovery check to learn a character's bias--this check is always a DC 20 Sense Motive check. Biases represent a character's inclination towards or distrust of others, and if you meet one of these conditions, you gain a bonus or penalty on influence checks depending on the bias.

Discovery Checks for NPCs:

Bartelby is only available to be influenced during this first social round before he has to return to his hosting duties. Discovery checks for him are Knowledge (nobility) or Sense Motive. Knowledge (nobility) or Sense Motive can also learn his strenths, while Knowledge (arcana) or Sense Motive check can learn his weaknessees.

Discovery checks for Baron Okerra are Profession (soldier) or Sense Motive. Perception or Strength can learn his strengths, while Heal or Sense Motive can learn his weaknesses.

Discovery checks for Dame Crabbe are Sense Motive. Knowledge (local) or Perception can learn her strengths, while Sense Motive can learn her weaknesses.

Discovery checks for Baroness Voinum are Sense Motive. Diplomacy or Sense Motive can learn her strengths, while Sense Motive can learn her weaknesses.

Discovery checks for Onora Piscum are Knowledge (local) or Sense Motive. Diplomacy or Sense Motive can learn her strengths, while Sense Motive can learn her weaknesses.

Okay, think that's everything! When I get a chance, I will summarize all of this up and add it into the spreadsheet for easier tracking.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Piri, notes the hidden disrepair of the infrastructure but chooses not to say anything in case of some type of enhanced listening.

He exits the carriage with the rest of the party and ignores any specific attention while observing the environment.


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Realizing that this might be their only chance to influencing Bartleby a the Jubilee, he racked his brain for any detail he could think of that he might be able to mention to Valeria.

Discovery on Bartleby, Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria listens closely to Count Lotheed as he escorts her to the entrance, paying attention at how much reverence and respect he affords to various nobles, servants and other types of visitors. She also observes his outfit and whatever symbol, weapon or magic item he may be carrying.

Strengths, Sense Motive: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 21


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sense Motive on this slimy bastard: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Sense Motive on masked servants: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

Sveng follows Valeria quietly, eyes sharp as he takes in the scene. Information, he needed as much of it as possible.

When they reach the carved columns he looks up at the depicted gods. I know you are hiding there among them. I hope I have your strength today. He does not ask or plead for the benefit of Norgorber, for he knows that all he provides is tools, and that he helps those who help themselves.

Knowing that time is short with Bartelby, Sveng keeps an eye on the man for anything he can pick at. A string to start unraveling his operation. Nobody ever gets all of the loose ends.

Weaknesses of Bartelby, Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Sydney spends some time trying to meet Onora Piscum and see what makes her tick.

Diplomacy to learn strengths: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

@Toby Just realized you may not know about the social rounds stuff since you weren't here for the last one :P. You can find details in the Loot & Notes spreadsheet, linked above, on the Social Combat tab.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

I was waiting for everyone to go so I could try to figure it out. Your spreadsheet helps. So the spreadsheet says that K Nobility works for discovery- but your spoiler indicates that in this version, different things work for discovery? K nobility/diplomacy are main best skills so I will go with that. generally speaking I am not very skillful.

Sir Toby huddles in the background a smidge, near Bartelby, and like Eregos tries to pick up on the despicable man's social cues so they may better deal with him.

k nobility, discovery check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

That's a pretty decent bonus, nothing to sneeze at by any means.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Piri is busy taking in the grandeur of the place and studying the architecture as the others start to mingle.

Eregos thinks back on what Martella had told them of her brother during the several days trip to Meratt. He remembers that Martella mentioned that he enjoys discussing finances and the finer points of the value of things. Obviously, with such strong ties to magic showing off ones knowledge of the arcane or the planes could provide some in roads. He is also fairly certain that a good lie or diplomatic approach to attempt to ingratiate oneself with the man could work, but the man is obviously arrogant and is only exactly as courteous to others and the help as etiquette demands, so it may be more difficult to influence him this way.

Valeria takes the opportunity of her personal escort by the man to get a better feeling for him. The man is handsome with sharp features and thick, dark hair. He has an athletic build and carries around a sword cane in addition to a couple of wands and a small pouch. He doesn't appear to be wearing any armor but has a fancy belt and wears a circlet. On his hand is a signet ring with the Lotheed family symbol. As Valeria walks with Count Lotheed she quickly picks up on the fact that Bartelby has only contempt for the common peasant and feels they should know their place and remain quiet as he at one point stops to scold one of his staff who dropped a serving plate and when the man attempted to apologize Bartleby just gave him a cold glare and the man knew to immediately stop talking and get back to work. You have a feeling that attempting to invoke any sense of compassion for the downtrodden or sense of collective identity with peasants would raise his hackles.

Sveng follows behind Valeria and the Count, and once he excuses himself Sveng continues to keep an eye on the man. He quickly notices that several of the other guests seem to be presenting him with various pricy gifts from tombs of arcane knowledge to antiques. The items appear to be well over 200 gold in value and are very well received by the Count.

With everyone else so focused on the Count, Sydney decides to go and learn more about the Tribune of Stachys since it is likely they will be working with the woman now that they are responsible for the town. The woman is very apparently a commoner and sticks out from the rest of the attendees like a sore thumb, likely only her because of her position. Sydney notices that any time Onora even so much as looks at the Count a scowl forms on her face and he gets the feeling that she has a quiet hatred for the man. Its likely that trying to invoke his name for influence to persuade her would meet with a poor outcome.

Toby takes up a position to also keep an eye on the count, however he hadn't ever really been to an event like this before and he keeps getting distracted by the pure opulence of everything around him, just the spread of food that is setting out for people to sample and take freely is in excess of anything he has seen available and could probably feed a small army.

After awhile the gong in the Grand Ballroom sounds to gather attendees for an event. Everybody filters into the massive, open space that is tiled with marble and painted in rich, warm colors. Ten-foot-tall windowed doorways stand in the north, and plush benches line the east and west walls. The ceiling here is 40 feet overhead.

"Welcome to the Tamager Jubilee!" Count Lotheed declares to the applause of the guests. "I want to thank you all for coming, and I promise the next two days will be filled with good food, company, and merriment. Let's get things started with a Meratt tradition. I shall assign each visiting group a personal assistant: a jester to act as your guides and announcers, lead you to events, and attend to your personal needs."

"I'll begin with our new neighbors: Lady Tanessen and her entourage, the heirs to the Bettony estate in Stachys. To you I assign Purple Finch."

A slender woman in a purple bird's mask approaches you and gives you a brief bow. The other guests are assigned jesters in short order, then the group disperses as each guest is lead to their quarters where they will be staying for the jubilee. Purple Finch leads you upstairs to the palace's second floor, where five well-appointed rooms have been prepared for you with fresh linens. Once you've had a moment to acquaint yourselves with your room and meet back up with the group Purple Finch notes

"Today's schedule includes an afternoon joust, followed by a feast and then drinking and cards. You have several hours before the joust begins. Do you have any other questions?"


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

"You hear that Toby? a joust! that should be right up your alley! make sure you shine your armor and send word to your stable boys to make it that mount pretty! and yes, Purple Finch my dear, I have a few questions. The first is: what areas of the Palace are currently opened to guests? the second is: tell us all you know about the other guests. Finally, tell us of any juicy rumors you are aware us. We have, after all, a decade of catching up to do!"


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

When Piri hears the host/hostess assignment he begins his observations. The mask is convenient to hide her true reactions

As Valeria begins, Piri moves closer and to the side of the Purple Finch to carefully observe her movements and micro expressions as she responds to each question, attempting to imagine what her face is revealing under the mask by the movement of her neck and jaw muscles from the side and slightly behind.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

"Indeed, I, SIR WILLIAM, sometimes called Toby as a familiar nickname...<cough, cough> am a wonderful jouster! I shall attend to Hayseed and my equipment at once and shall win this for you, my Lady Tanessen."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

"Oh give it a rest... we're all between peers here Toby! but... I appreciate your attention to details and the proper observance of formalities. You honor me Sir William!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Eregos decides it best to start building up his character as Lady Tanessen's foppish cousin. "I have a question, as well. Who is the count's tailor? His outfit is so fashionable - simply perfect for this event! Also, is there anything between now and the joust?"

He also looks about for any wine, and if there is none, asks, "Who do we see about getting some wine sent up to our room?"


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

As the woman is bombarded by questions she holds her hands up a giggles nervously "You are an inquisitive lot aren't you..."

She smiles as she lowers her hands "Ok let me see if I can address all of your questions. First, as far as access, you are welcome to walk the halls, the other apartments are off limits though, just as I would assume you would want your privacy, so would our other guests. This essentially limits you to the lower levels. As far as downstairs I doubt you would want to give the wrong impression by trying to enter the vault or the guards room, but the rest is open to guests."

She waves her hand dismissively and notes "Don't worry though I'll be with you all so if you need anything or have a question just let me know. Anywhere you are supposed to be is locked or guarded so it should be pretty clear."

The taps her finger on her lip as she thinks back on the mass of questions asks and then holds her finger up when she realizes what is next "Ah, yes the guests. Well, there are plenty of important people about but it's probably better if you get to know them yourselves." She laughs to herself as she continues "We would miss half the party if we stood here and I told you about each one. Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to know people as you have an opportunity to talk to them it's always better to form opinions yourself rather than rely on what you hear from others right?"

When Toby speaks up about jousting Purple Finch claps her hands excitedly "Oh wonderful! I'll be sure to pass along that you intend to participate so we can get things in order for you. I've been really looking forward to the jousts. Aside from the masquerade it is my favorite part of the Jubilee!" She slides over next to Toby and leans in close with a slightly seductive tone "Do you joust often? Maybe when the others retire for the evening you could tell me about some of your triumphs?"

When Eregos speaks up Purple Finch purses her lips "Hrm... that's actually a good question. I'm sorry I don't know, but I will definitely see if I can find out for you." She nods to give you reassurance. She continues answering the rest of his question "Oh, nothing planned, but it would probably be a good time to mingle and get to know some of the others if you like. We still have a bit before the joust is scheduled to begin."

As he asks about the wine she notes "Oh, I can do that, do you have a particular taste you prefer? I'll be sure to have something sent up and ready for you this evening if you like."

She looks to everyone with a sincere smile and notes "If there's nothing else, I'll lead you back downstairs and back to the grand ballroom so you can mingle. Please, if you need anything just wave me over."


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri doesn't socialize much, but intends to stay close to Valeria, so that he can hear and observe her conversations and make mental notes of people's reactions. He will linger after she moves on with each party to 'overhear' any discussions about her.

Is there a knowledge check to read lips?


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Oh sorry, probably should have mentioned, once you head back to the party you will be in another social round. Feel free to chat with people if you like.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Toby immediately starts stammering... "Oh yes... I ummm... I can give you some jousting pointers. I am quite adept. Hayseed of course does most of the work..."


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Seeing as there is time to kill, Sydney is happy to head back downstairs for a drink and to mingle. When he sees Onora Piscum, he takes a drink off the tray and brings it too her. Knowning how the common folk tick often makes or breaks historical conflics.

Noting how she reacts to Count Lotheed, he tries other topics to try and get a more complete picture.

Sense Motive for weaknesses: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri stands back and discretely observes with whom Valeria encounters. Initially looking around the subject and observing who is observing Valeria, then slowly easing in while nursing a mild watered down drink, so that he can eavesdrop on the conversation.

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Earlier, Toby was impressed with Baroness Voinum from afar, as the woman was clearly a warrior based on her scar and way she held herself.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

He bows to her.

"My lady, Sir William Osbourne, at your service. You are clearly a warrior, Baroness, as am I, though I am young and experienced. Could you enlighten me with a tale of your youth?"


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

"Well, then, by all means, we should go mingle. Are you ready to go, cousin?"

Once they return to the grand ballroom to mingle, Eregos remembers Dame Crabbe as one who had been pointed out to them as a possible impediment - her daughter being the more likely to agree with their goals. He decided he should work on figuring out what makes her tick, and if she could be influenced towards their goals.

Discover Influence, Dame Crabbe: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

When Valeria returns downstairs, she briefly looks for the Count to see if his disengaging words were a mere bluff to get rid of them. Seeing that he is truly unavailable, she heads for Baron Okerra.

"Ah, Baron Okerra! it is a refreshing sight to see a familiar face amidst this crowd! how have you fared since the incident in Oppara? life in our beloved capital appears muted now, and with all the deaths, as you may have guessed, there is much resulting turmoil in the succession law industry. The barristers are closing their offices early to avoid the throng of angry merchants and nobles, and some have offloaded their case loads to scribes, merchants and shop owners under license in order to deal with the increased workload. I'm guessing there is a silver lining to all this, as the long-dormant Betony Estate was therefore fast-tracked for processing as part of this legal prioritization. Here I am now, a baroness... but in title only. I now have to earn it in service to the people of Stachys. I am hoping I will be hearing from you often and benefit from your experience and advice. If there are mistakes I can avoid this early in my tenure, I would like to know. In your opinion, what are qualities and actions that one should expect of a leader?"

Biases, Sense Motive: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

Shoot. Typo I missed. I should have said young and INexperienced.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

It looks like we have one person on each NPC currently available, and Count Lotheed is unavailable, yes? Any other restricting on availability for NPCs?


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Correct, though multiple people can work on the same person, especially if it is just a discovery


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng moves around the room quietly, continuing to case the area and the people in it. For now he shadows their new knight, slightly interested in his abilities as well. He has a silver tongue for all that young awkwardness about him, clearly formally trained in a well off family.

Discover Weakness, Baroness Voinum, Sense Motive DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

@GM Dak: feel free to use my last roll for Diplomacy/Influence instead, if the context of the discussion suits that better, seeing that I rolled a 37... same skill modifier. It might speed up the game a little as I recall exceeding the DC by 5 or more could increase the amount of successes yes? I'm not longer sure if that means 'every slice of 5 you exceed' or just 'one more success if you exceed by 5 or more, no matter how high...'


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With no further questions the Purple Finch leads the group back down to the party where almost everyone splits off to go mingle with the other notable guests. Sydney grabs a drink and brings it over to Onora Piscum. She smiles and thanks him for the drink as they start up some small talk, but Sydney can't nail down anything more on the woman. She is pleasant, and his assumption of her being a commoner were correct as can he tell by the way she talks and the various topics she brings up. Eventually she asks "Sorry, but I hadn't even thought to ask what brings you to the Jubilee as one of the Count's guests?"

No Success

Toby goes to speak with Baroness Voinum who has a small tray of of food she is snacking on. As she finishes Toby sees an opportunity to great the woman and makes his approach. The woman must have been of legendary stature in her youth, but age has finally begun to bend the baroness, and she now stands merely 6 feet tall. She still proudly displays the scar left on her face years ago from some battle. As Toby introduces himself the woman looks to him with a bit of a frown but as he continues and mentions his seems interested in her past battle accomplishments her mood lightens a little, but not much. She eventually replies "Young man, this great nation has been through so much and I along with it. I have so many tales that I would hardly know where to begin. How about instead you tell me about yourself, starting with why a 'warrior' such as yourself has come to the Jubilee?"

1 Influence success.

Eregos makes his way toward Dame Crabbe and her daughter Sepsina. Dame Crabbe is a broad, middle-aged woman with a wide smile and expressive eyes. She smells overwhelmingly of camphor and sugar. By contrast, her daughter is rail-thin and pale, looking vaguely surprised or frightened by everything. Dame Crabbe is in the midst of talking with a strapping young man, some minor noble of little importance. As she talks Eregos does his best to listen in and follow the conversation. He picks up bits and pieces and it quickly becomes apparent that the woman is obsessed with finding a suitor for her daughter. Eregos is fairly certain that lying to her just so she can hear what she wants may be a good approach, and she is very interested in local matters particularly regarding potential bachelors for her daughter, as well as anyone that shows any talent in performing. The woman brings up her daughters dowry a number of times in the talk, and she seems to have a sharp mind for the value of things. The young man brings up his noble upbringing once or twice but Dame Crabbe doesn't seem nearly as impressed by this and eventually the young man attempts to back out of the conversation with a diplomatic approach but barely manages to pull it off.

Influence skills discovered, listed and grouped by difficulty to hit the DC: Bluff/Knowledge (local)/Perform (any)(easier) Appraise (harder) Knowledge (nobility)/Diplomacy (hardest).

Valeria approaches Baron Okerra and talks with him for a bit it takes a moment for the man to recognize you but he eventually notes "Oh that's right I saw you at the Gala, you were with Mr. Catus were you not? I must say I was impressed with his knowledge of the local political landscape and honestly any friend of his is a friend of mine."

As Valeria continues on about taking up the Betony estate he is a little surprised but seems to be pleased "Oh wonderful! A new neighbor and, even better, one I can call a friend. I would be happy to help you improve your lands and the lives of the peasants you oversee. We will have to meet at some point to hammer out the details, but it will be good to see some life return to Stachys!"

Finally as Valeria asks for advice he ponders the question a moment before answering "Well, I would say that integrity is key. Be honest with your honest with your people and your allies, and you will win there hearts and minds. Of course, it also helps to stick to the letter of the law. The law will help you to maintain order and it is my opinion that such order benefits all from the nobles to the commoners."

The baron obviously respects integrity, and has a predilection for other lawful characters

Sveng sticks to the out skirts of the gathering but close to Toby, as he watches him interact with the Baroness, it becomes pretty clear by her words that the Baroness respects those with regard for tradition and an interest in history of the county and the nation.

Successfully discovered weakness.

Will give you all some time for any follow-up before we move onto the next social round.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, making careful observations of the discussions Valeria is having with Baron Okeera, and occasional distracted answers to the small interruptions seems to discover weaknesses.

Sense Motive, Disc. Weaknesses: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 9 + (1) = 23


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Sydney will continue to try to discover what influence Onara may have.

Sense motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
I accidentally posted in Discussion, but unfortunately I rolled a 5...

Grand Lodge

attacks:
Cav Charge [dice=cavalier's charge]d20+13; 3d8+15[/dice] MW Longsword [dice=MW cold iron longsword]d20+9; d8+4[/dice]
"Sir William Osbourne", Human Cavalier 40/40 HP; 2/2 Challenges; Init +0; Perception +8; [22 AC][10 Touch][22 FF]; [Fort 6][Reflex 1][Will 1],[CMD:18, vs. bullrush/reposition 20]
Hayseed:
35/35 HP; Perception +5; [22 AC][11 Touch][20 FF]; [Fort 7][Reflex 8][Will 2],[CMD:21, vs. trip 25]

"Baronness, I can only claim insanity to have addressed you in the first place, but your presence as a warrior had caught up my silly childhood dreams of adventure. I am of a low noble house, not equal to your own, and have come as the protector of Baronness Tanessen, recently moved to back to her abandoned familial home. Her Baronness Tanessen believes in the old traditions, you see, and that her place is with her people, as she should be providing for their safety and happiness and they should be paying proper taxes, as befits her place. There is not much happiness in these lands. I should say that Baroness Tanessen has her work ahead of her."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Eregos saunters over to Sydney, with what he'd figured out about Dame Crabbe, and says, "Dame Crabbe is very interested in arranging a suitable marriage for her daughter. In order to see if we can influence her, I thought maybe I'd see if we can interest her in you. What do you think?"


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

To Onara he says "Excuse me. It was a pleasure to speak with you again. Perhaps we will talk again after the joust?"

Then to Eregos, he says "Of course, happy to help. Lead the way."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria leans over to her aide, "My dear Purple Finch, what awaits us next?"


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri wanders over to Count Lotheed and through his observations hopes to determine his bias.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 9 + (3) = 19


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Valeria motions for Purple Finch to come over while there is a lull in her conversation with Baron Okerra and asks her what is next. The woman gives Valeria a slight bow and notes "They are still making preparations for the joust. You still have some time to mingle. I will be sure to let you know as soon as it is time to head to the next event!"

There is still the remainder of this social round and one more after. Looks like Eregos/Sveng/Valeria can still post an action for Social Round 2/3.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Slammed at work, don't have time for a high quality post.

Social Round 2: Discover influence of Baroness Voinum

Sense Motive DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Social Round 3: Discover influence of Onora Piscum

Knowledge (local) DC 17: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

I thought my Round 2 was the discovery check on Dame Crabbe?


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

That was Round 1.


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Oh. Well, then.

Round 2

"Excellent. This way, then. She seems quite keen on local events, especially possible suitors for her daughter, and receptive to those who tell her what she wants to hear." Eregos leads Sydney over to Dame Crabbe.

Approaching, he says, "I beg your pardon, but are you not the lovely and formdiable Dame Parthena Crabbe? I simply must introduce myself. Sir Kalegos Seldry. This is my friend, Sir Sydney Streegenet. And this must be your lovely daughter, Sepsinia. Charmed, my lady."

Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Round 3

Since Sydney was an actual nobleman, and "Kalegos" was an alias, Eregos allowed the other man to take the lead in charming Dame Crabbe while he listened for any openings that might make their job easier.

Sense Motive for Weakness, Dame Crabbe: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Similarly very busy right now... will resume RP Monday... here's the rolls so as not to slow down the table:

Social Round 2: Discover influence of Baron Okerra

Sense Motive DC 17: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (1) + 17 = 18

Social Round 3: Discover weakness of Baron Okerra

Sense Motive DC 15: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89
Valeria Tanessen wrote:

Social Round 3: Discover weakness of Baron Okerra

[dice=Sense Motive DC 15]1d20+17 (17, not 16, if that makes a difference)

As Piri said in Discussion thread, Okerra weaknesses already discovered by him, so I'll use this roll for Voinum's weaknesses instead.

1,551 to 1,598 of 1,598 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Dak - War for the Crown 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.