GM Dak - War for the Crown 1

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 2: Songbird, Scion, Saboteur
Part 1: Songbird

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Start Day: Oathday, 1st of Pharast, 4718
Current Day: Moonday, 12nd of Pharast, 4718


1,351 to 1,400 of 1,725 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Piri and Hazel are both up to take attacks...


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

thought I had to wait for enemy # 2

Piri sees the clown prone so shifts his aim to the halfling.

Atk: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25
Dmg: 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 1 = 5

If Hazel's trip fails I continue to target the clown


Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4
Hargus Kryn wrote:
Piri and Hazel are both up to take attacks...

I ended up editing my post after I saw your comment! (see above - thx for catching that!)


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Sydney tried to stabilize the Lady.

Heal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sydney-Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Hargus steps up to attack the cultists again, but this time his swing goes wide and he misses the cultist. Hazel goes after the cultist that just blasted everyone with negative energy. She lands her first blow but not her second and the man looks about ready to collapse but manages to stay on his feet. While Sydney fails to stabilize Martella, Piri takes a shot at the cultist but misses. Sveng rushes over to Martella and casts a protective spell on her in hopes of helping her avoid any further harm.

The halfling steps back again, leaving her man for fodder as she casts another spell and her muscles slightly bulge.

Spellcraft DC17:
She has cast Bull's Strength

Round 2
Enemy1, > Adrian/Valeria, Enemy2, Hargus/Hazel/Sydney/Piri/Sveng


Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4

Wow! a 21 on improved trip didn't beat the clown's CMD! this is bad!! oh, and yeah: Hazel went for the clown, not the cultist...


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

I'm confused. My attack was 25, if that doesn't hit...I think we have issues, or are we still using the surprise round, which I targeted the clown also, but would probably still have missed.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

I must have been half awake when I posted all that or something... I think maybe since it was split between pages I was looking at older stuff incorrectly. Let me fix a few things. So ignore the above and see the below.

Hargus steps up to attack the cultists again, but this time his swing goes wide and he misses the cultist. Hazel goes after the clown, first knocking her to the floor and then jabbing her in the gut and breaking some ribs. While Sydney fails to stabilize Martella, Piri takes a shot at the cultist and drops him to the floor. Sveng rushes over to Martella and casts a protective spell on her in hopes of helping her avoid any further harm.

The halfling knowing better than to stand up instead calls out a blessing as a duplicate image of her appears on the floor making it difficult to tell which one is real and which one is not. She attempts to cast a spell defensively to avoid leaving herself open to another attack from Hazel.

Concentration DC19: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Managing to get the spell off something comes over Hazel.

DC 15 Will save to avoid being paralyzed for 5 rounds

Spellcraft DC17:
She has cast Hold Person

Round 2
Enemy1, > Adrian/Valeria/Hargus/Hazel/Sydney/Piri/Sveng


Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4

Hazel Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

"Your silly little tricks won't save you now. Now stop moving, and it will be over quickly."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Valeria maintains her performance but runs to Martella and uses the wand of healing on her!

"There there Martella... stay with us... please!"

Wand CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4

Oops.... forgot to attack! proceeding with the rest of my post now! :P

Hazel attempts to pummel the clown mercilessly, driving her fists into Martella's kidnapper over and over and over again...

Unarmed Strike, Flurry, Inspire, Prone: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 2 + 1 + 4 = 22
bludgeoning dm, Inspire: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10

Unarmed Strike, Flurry, Inspire, Prone: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 2 + 1 + 4 = 26
bludgeoning dm, Inspire: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 1 = 9


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri stands loaded and aimed at the clown to shoot it if it tries to get up.

Readied action to attack if the clown gets up.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Seeing that Valeria has managed to get their charge to a safer place, Sveng steps over to close the last gap between Lady Lotheed and the downed enemy, swinging his shortsword (for what little its worth).

Attack (vs prone): 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 1 + 4 = 24
Damage: 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4

Confirm: 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 4 = 12
Crit Damage: 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus nods to Piri in thanks, then circles around the group to move to the opposite side of Wyskylla from Hazel and attempts to finish her off.

A move action to circle the party and get to a flank with Hazel. My movement provokes an attack of opportunity if she has a weapon out or can make unarmed attacks.

Attack, flanking, vs prone: 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 + 4 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

EDIT: Also, if it hasn't been updated in Roll20, My level 3 Social Talent Owl's Sight gave me low-light vision.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Seeing that there doesn't appear to be any threat from the rear Adrian steps into the room and casts a spell at the halfling who grabs her ears in pain.

Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7

While Valeria heals Martella, bringing her back to conciousness the others circle around the halfling and start to lay into her. With Sveng getting the final blow on the halfling they ensure she isn't getting back up again to continue the fight.

Out of Combat

Martella smiles as she wakes up from the healing seeing you all standing there over the unconscious halfling. She coughs up a bit of blood as she says in a raspy voice "Thank you for coming to my rescue, I feared the worse." She motions to her shackles and asks "Perhaps you can release me?"


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri senses something askew. It is as if this may not really be Martella.
He carefully inspects everything.

Insp. Perc.: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 10 + (1) = 19
Disbelieve Illusion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Piri looks Martella over with a discerning eye but as far he can tell it is in fact Martella.

Rofl for some reason your post made me think of the scooby doo team coming to unmask the bad guy trying to pull of the fake monster mask off. Though I don't think Piri would go quiet that far :P


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng takes a knee, examining Martella's wounds. "Lady Lotheed, I am glad to see you are alive. Piri, please free her."

Heal to identify wounds/poisons/etc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Perception to see anything noteworthy or suspicious: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Sense Motive if she's acting funny at all: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Trust no one and nothing :P


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus checks over the rest of the room, looking for any signs of other cultists.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sveng can tell she has been beaten and tortured within an inch of her life. While it seems they used alchemical agents to try and pry information out of her, there aren't any signs of anything too concerning, with some healing and rest she should recover without the need for anything special. Otherwise he doesn't find anything suspicious and she isn't acting funny aside from being severely injured.

Harugs looks around for any other cultists but doesn't find any signs in the immediate area, as for the rest of the complex it's hard to tell without exploring. He does however find, in the southeastern corner of the room, a chest with Martella's belongings along with a sack of 2,000 gp.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

"I think we need to get her out of here to safety. Then we can have a more thorough de-brief to determine our next move and what strategic position we are in."

Piri removes her cuffs/bindings.

Take 10 on disable device + 12 = 22


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Valeria keeps healing Martella, "Oh Martella! I'm so happy you're alive! praise the gods! do you know where this is and who these kidnappers were? what's their agenda?"

I'll keep healing... let me know when she's had enough! :)

Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

I can give her my last CLW elixir, it will not be any good after today anyway.

CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus picks up the chest and brings it over. "Let's give Lady Lotheed the chance to gather her things, and then we'll get out of here. My lady, was this sack of gold yours? If not, it may be the coin from whoever hired these assassins to kidnap you. With the right magic, we may be able to trace who it was from."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Martella rubs her wrists and ankles where the bindings had been. As Valeria uses the wand over and over, eventually Martella wounds heal and she starts to seem much more herself. Piri's extract nearly finishes things off and all that is left as some minor bruises and scratches.

"Thank you my friend. I would appreciate the escort just to make sure we all make it out of her safely." She grabs her armor and weapon and straps things on. Once she is fully dressed and ready to go she smiles to the others "Much better. As for the gold, it is not mine, I assume you are that it belongs to who ever paid these cultists. It is yours for your rescue and I believe I still owe you payment for last night, I'll be sure to get that to you as soon as I can."

She nods and continues "I'm ready if you all are. Let's get out of here!"


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Oh, she was conscious when down 48 hp. She is a much higher level than us.

"Yes, let us make haste, before any reinforcements find their way in." Sveng touches his hat again, shifting his disguise to that of one of the cultists. "I will scout ahead to check for ambushes." He does just that, and assuming finds nothing, gives the all clear for the party to exit.


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus nods and assumes a protective stance directly in front of Martello so that he could intercept any blows intended for her.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sveng scouts ahead back to the entrance where they came in and finds no additional threats, the group leads Martella up the ladder and out of the warehouse to safety. Once outside she pauses a moment to take in the fresh air before turning to everyone else. "I can manage from here. I'll make sure you all have accomidations available to you at the Silent Horse, one of Oppara’s more lavish inns, for anyone that needs it. Give me a few days to recuperate and sort through everything that has happened and I will call on you to talk further."

As she turns to see herself off, she stops and turns backs "I will send your payment as well, for the work you did at the Gala. Thank you again." She hurries off toward the center of town unless otherwise stopped.

----------

Whenever you finally make it to the inn you find your payment of 500gp a piece waiting for you and rooms for each of you that need it. The city, while not in chaos is in a uneasy state as the dust still settles from what is now being called the Exaltation Massacre.

You all have 3 days of downtime before Martella will come to seek you out again, so use that time to level, sell/purchase gear, etc. During that time Hazel and Adrian will depart and if we want to find an additional party member we can look at doing so.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

About halfway done compiling loot - should be done in about 12 hours as I'm doing this on and off...


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

CHAPTER -- TOTAL GOLD AFTER ITEMS SALE -- NUMBER OF PCs -- SHARE PER PC
BOOK 1 ------------------- 58929.5 ----------------------------- 5 ----------------------- 11785.9

The above figure represents everything found in Book 1 for the sake of simplicity: add this 11,786 gp amount to your 150gp starting gold to build your gear from scratch at the beginning of the next adventure.

Party Items Not Sold:
Figurine of Wondrous Power (Silver Raven)
Dignity's Barb Relic
Envoy Ring Relic


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With the cult defeated and Martella Lotheed saved, the group is finally in a position to rest and take stock of the new political scene in Taldor. It takes another 2 days to take a final accounting of the dead: a total of 78 senators slain, alongside 102 aides, defenders, family members, and staff, as well as Grand Prince Stavian III himself, in what many Taldans are already beginning to call the Exaltation Massacre.

The attackers appear to have been an assortment of mercenaries and killers from Andoran, Cheliax, and Galt, though arguments rage over who brought these assassins into the heart of Taldor’s government. While the rumos is that the Lion Blades believe Stavian himself hired these agents, much of the Taldan citizenry is less convinced, especially given the emperor’s own death in the violence. Many suspect Princess Eutropia or High Strategos Pythareus.

With the empire’s central government in shambles, local governments are doing the best they can to fill the void. Eleven major claims have been made for the throne by various nobles claiming relations to the Stavian line. Two candidates in particular, Princess Eutropia and High Strategos Maxillar Pythareus, stand above the rest, and various nobles and polities have already begun arguing that their chosen scion is the true inheritor of the Primogen Crown.

A day later, Martella comes to the Silent Horse to invite the PCs to a private meeting. A short carriage ride brings them to a tidy townhouse in the Aroden’s View district. Inside, a cozy fire and the scent of tea warm a small library. A friendly catch-dog trots over to investigate, wagging its tail, and returns satisfied to its owner’s side as she rises from the chair, Princess Eutropia. After a polite nod, she speaks.

“For those that don't know me, my name is Eutropia Stavian I, firstborn of Stavian III, and I thank you for coming. I wanted to express my gratitude in person for rescuing my old schoolmate, Martella. She is a dear friend, and I am in your debt."

“You are bold and resourceful, yet apparently relative unknowns on Taldor’s political stage. Those are all incredibly valuable assets. Now more than ever I find myself in need of talented allies. My father, Pharasma rest his soul, seems to have been convinced my efforts at social reform were the precursor to usurping his throne. Some... dear friends... feared he would try to kill me at the exaltation; you may have noticed the Lion Blades on the scene in response. I had never imagined he could... That he had slipped so far.”

Eutropia takes a moment to compose herself, and then she continues. “Apparently, in his paranoia, my father formally adopted Maxillar Pythareus in a private ceremony to declare the general his heir. Or so Pythareus claims, and he has presented documentation to support his claim. There are even those nobles who believe the vote against primogeniture was a farce, or was coerced by those same elements that attacked the senate."

“The Ulfen Guard has sealed the palace and refuses admittance to anyone until the question is resolved. Normally this kind of issue would fall to the senate, but with the senate decimated and no emperor to approve new members... this situation is entirely unprecedented."

“I don’t know if I’m the best candidate for the throne, but I know Pythareus isn’t. He’s a warmonger and a regressive traditionalist. He preaches about waging war on the ‘upstart colonies’ and bringing them back into the empire by force. I won’t let him march us back into endless war, and I need allies of uncommon skill to ensure our nation’s future. I would be honored to have such noble allies as yourselves in this War for the Crown.”

Sense Motive DC 18:
It is pretty apparent that the princess is being genuine, though she seems to be choosing her words carefully.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 9 + (4) = 30 using inspiration

Piri nods in acceptance for the rest of the party to know that as far as he can tell she is telling the truth.

hmmm...I can't help but think she is being careful as to what she is saying.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng has not been idle for the past two days. Alleys were skulked through, desks unlocked, guards paid, beggars bargained with, assistants threatened. It had been a furious 48 hours for Sveng. Unfortunately there has been limited progress due to the high-profile nature of the crimes, and it was difficult for him to gain much intel without setting off a lot of red flags, and he knows that with his newfound 'allies' he would likely be able to leverage their skills to attain the information much more safely.

The spoils from this adventure was great, at the very least. Very great, because he did not have a client he had to give the lion's share to. He goes on a fast and discreet shopping spree, buying various trinkets to help him cope with the subterfuge to come. He climbs into the carriage with the others, new cloak and gloves, and for those of a very perceptive nature the bulge under his shirt reveals some sort of new necklace.

Sveng was cautious in this new meeting. Martella was an ally (for now) so he trusted her to not put them in danger intentionally, especially since they have shown their loyalty by rescuing her from a situation they could have otherwise taken advantage of. But alliances are fickle things, and knives often find their ways into backs with little time to react, so his homework was done and the preparations made in case things went...poorly, at this meeting.

As the group is invited into the townhouse in Aroden's view, Sveng takes point. When the catch dog comes to them he procures an item from his satchel; it looks to be the last couple inches of a cow femur, hacked off and mostly cleaned of gore and gristle to avoid staining the furniture, but still an appetizing treat for a dog. He lets the creature smell his hand - he had his laundry done professionally before this meeting to avoid any suspicious scents, and to prevent the dog from identifying his smell later - and then hands him the bone with a small smile, watching the creature take the treat.

"Princess Eutropia, we are honored to be in your presence." Sveng bows deep from his waist, doing the proper hand gestures to show deference and respect. Bold and resourceful, yet apparently unknowns...that won't last long, now will it? Especially with our names coming onto your lips. Unless we're intentionally designed to be clandestine agents? Risky, based on our public appearance before. That is a short-lived game, although not necessarily one without significant rewards.

The pause was not lost on Sveng. In many, the telltale signs of a lie about to be told. One carefully rehearsed and prepared in advance. Likely that skirts very close to the truth to withstand a certain amount of scrutiny.

But not his amount of scrutiny.

Ah, so the attempt was known. So known that the Lion Blades were prepared. Yet not a word was whispered to anyone else. I am not being told the whole story. The casualties were immense, this was not a mistake, something was carefully engineered and we are still dancing on someone's strings. Is it you, princess? "Terrible, it was simply terrible. Misunderstandings or sickness of the mind causing so much suffering. It's a wonder more wasn't done." He softly emphasizes the last bit, eyes flicking to her to see if this prods any kind of reaction.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Sveng doesn't believe she's telling them the whole story, and wants to see if he can prod for more info with that comment.

Sveng gives a sharp, amused exhale at Pytharerus's scheme. "Yes, I have heard of this...strategy. I am surprised that he would attempt something so bold. Playing on and manipulating conspiracy theories is one thing...but inventing them in such a way is arrogant."

Is that humility? Or only the farce presentation of it to make ones bid for the throne even stronger? Still, the game moves forward and we find ourselves more directly serving someone who could be the leader in a new age of progress...how incredibly fortuitous. Luck? Reward for hard work? Or by design?

Sveng stares out into space for a moment. He was playing against someone...he just didn't know who yet. A dangerous way to begin, for one could tip their hand without even realizing it. But often risks must be taken to even begin playing such a game, otherwise one is left in the darkness while it goes on regardless.

Sveng glances at the party, giving them opportunity to weigh in on his next statement. "Correct me if I am too forward, but I believe I speak for all of us when I say we are cautiously interested. I believe the first question that needs to be asked: in what capacity would you have us serving as allies? What does it mean for us at this moment, and what would it mean for us in the future, should your bid for power end victoriously?" He inquires. This question, of course, meant very little, but it moved the first piece on the board. When the game was set there was only so much that could be done before the first move, and eventually the beginning momentum was needed.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The Princess smiles politely as she listens's to Sveng's questions and nods as if expecting them "Well, while you all are still a bit of unknown factors to me, Martella seems impressed with your abilities and I respect her judgment. You’ve obviously left her with quite the positive opinion of your skills and character, and I hope you’ll honor me with the same impression. You would work as my loyal agents to secure resources and allies, ideally without raising too much of a fuss when it can be avoided. Martella will direct you toward more specific goals; I have a great deal of work to accomplish myself in the meantime.”

"As for what it means for you, I would hope the value of an empress’s gratitude would be plainly obvious, but you will be paid, of course. I may be locked out of the treasury, but the Stavian family holdings are considerable. In the meantime, the opportunity for profits will abound: new allies and contacts, travel to the far-flung corners of the empire, favors from who knows how many nobles. The task before us is the sort that births legends, and legends, if nothing else, benefit from warm beds and full bellies.”


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

After their first night at the Silent Horse, Eregos left the inn and returned to his tenement to pack up his remaining things. He made sure to look as though he was hurriedly packing to leave town, as though caught in a crime and desperately trying to evade detection. Even so, he listened to what the people in the poorer parts of town were saying, what they thought, for any such information would let them know which way the political winds blew.

That taken care of, he returned to the Silent Horse, and then Hargus went on a shopping spree, acquiring some new weapons and armor. He kept his old, though, for when Eregos needed to make an appearance, so he could keep up with the second identity.

When Martella summoned them to the meeting, he went as Hargus - the more accepted persona around the upper classes. During the carriage ride, he looked at Sveng, who seemed somewhat nervous for some reason.

He bows as Sveng does once he sees they are in the presence of Princess Eutropia. He listened carefully to her words.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

She seemed genuine - and there was the simple matter he had been in the room when assassins began slaughtering the Senators. She was, however, choosing her words with care. He suspected that she was trying to keep the identities of her 'dear friends' hidden, and he would allow her that distinction. This presented a great opportunity, though - if Princess Eutropia won the throne, he could get the Villarius name restored with an imperial declaration. He might even have the chance to speak with other nobles and see what their thoughts on his family were. He knew he would never get this chance from Pythareus, and the question of Succession was likely to come down to one of those two. In that case, how cold he refuse an offer such as this?

"Your Highness, I am honored by your offer, and will be happy to assist you in your claim for the throne."


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri, like the others discretely did some shopping and picked up several items that he felt would come in handy in the future. He also moved his meager belongings to the Silent Horse. Though he picks up on everything going around, most people don't notice he is even there and that is by his choice.

He knows the Princess is hiding something, but Piri knows all politicians hide most things.

"Your highness, I too am at your service and hope to bring honor to my name in your service."


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

"I had plans to add myself to the Senate roster some day, and while there are certainly openings enough right now, I see more wisdom in joining your cause at this time. Count me in."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Valeria, still petting the dog and seemingly enjoying his company very much, says quietly "Who's a good boy? you're a good boy! what's your name hmm? who's the good boy?!"

Upon noticing the others enter conversations with the Princess, Valeria approaches quietly, still devoting a part of her attention to the royal canine. When the Princess is done talking, Valeria steps forward and with genuine sad eyes, bows to the Princess, before saying, "Your Highness, please accept my most sincere sympathies for your loss. If there is anything else we can do, outside of the obvious pressing national matters at hand, I beg of you not to hesitate to reach out to us. There is no service too big or too small you may request of us."

She waits a few moments before continuing.

"I assume you will ask us to help sway people's opinion in your favor at some point, and not let General Pytharerus' followers spread lies and idiocy throughout the kingdom - wherever their leader has gone now... yet... many will default on the side of age and experience, willing to overlook your adversary's less savory attributes. Tell us about you, Your Highness. What should the people expect of their future Queen, and why does she wish the opportunity to serve her subjects, even after these horrible events?"


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The Princes nod her acceptance to those who pledge their support and offers a simple "Thank you."

Overhearing Valeria asks about the dogs name while she plays with it she looks over and says "His name is Taldogis. Father hates it... Hated it.” It is very apparent that while she obviously had disagreements with her father the loss still weighed heavy on her. As Valeria offers her condolences she smiles warmly and replies "I appreciate it and there will be time for me to grieve, but for now those pressing national matters take precedence, so your assistance there is really what I need."

When Valeria asks more about the Princess she smiles "I’ve spent a lifetime studying Taldor and her people’s needs. All her people. And I know they need internal improvements, education, new opportunities. Not war and empty promises of long gone glories.”

"As to what they can't expect should I manage to become the first empress... Well, I hadn’t thought I’d be inheriting the throne for a decade or more, and I find myself embarrassingly unprepared. For now, I suppose my goals are to hold a wounded nation together and begin repairing centuries of neglect. My focus has been very narrow until now; I’ll need some time to make these decisions."


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Ah. 'You come highly recommended but I must see that for myself. Trusting but only to a certain extent. A fair judgement, smart but nothing out of the ordinary for one raised into politics. I should not press too much harder, she would think me a spy or someone paranoid, both of which could get me removed, in the best scenario.[/i]

Sense Motive (loss of her father): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Sveng stares at the Princess for a while, letting her answer to him hang in the air and the silence draw out. He has grown accustomed to be comfortable with silence, and uses it as a tool to identify weaknesses in others.

After the weighty pause he smiles. "Princess Eutropia. Consider this our lot thrown in with yours. Let us see what foundations we build together." And if they are sturdy ones to make our relationship upon.

Sveng sits, taking out a journal and a pen, beginning to write. No cohesive long-term vision yet, that is more than understandable given the circumstances Princess, and you are wise to identify that and begin working on it immediately. To gain public support requires a vision that the people can get behind. This is an election, of a more violent kind, and appearances will be as important - if not more - than the truth. Our first goal, clearly, is to begin working on your first, only, and most dangerous enemy. One that would likely have you killed if given the opportunity. But you yourself are not personally involved in our matters, Lady Lotheed is our 'handler' as it were. For simplicity? For efficiency of delegation? Or for a degree of separation, plausible deniability? He stops writing. Oh. He looks at Lady Lotheed and the Princess, more than just political allies. To preserve innocence. We are her black han-...no, we are her black glove. Dirty work must be done, but her hand must not be soiled, and even indirectly she must have little knowledge of the details. A double game than, to smooth her way to power while keeping her gaze away from the bodies that were paved into the path. Oh Lady Lotheed, you are ambitious. He gives the smallest of smiles, going back to writing. Of course, I would not be here if you were not.

"Well, Princess your presence gracing us is truly an honor. Is there anything else of import? As you say your own schedule must be stretched alarmingly thin, and our own schedules should be filling up accordingly as we join your ranks. Lady Lotheed will be our-" Do NOT say handler "-director for how we can best assist your cause, so I assume she will be handling all of the details, yes?" And there is so much work to be done, and very little of it can be done in your presence.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The Princess nods "Indeed, I will leave you in Martella's capable hands. She will be in touch once we have decided the best way to utilize your groups talents moving forward. However, before you depart, I would like to bestow on each of you an honorary title of knight for pledging your support to my cause. While I lack the official authority to knight you at this point, I wish to provide you this honorary title out of respect for your pledge to me."

When you are each ready to bend a knee she will tap each shoulder in turn with her sword as she then asks you to rise and uses a title of Sir or Dame preceding your name.

Unless you have other questions for her you are free to depart. This is essentially downtime so if there is anything you want to try and do in the next few days until you receive your new assignments let me know. Feel free to RP among yourselves in the meantime.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Thanks for GMing this GM Dak! Valeria's stats have been updated to level 4 and all her shopping is done.

Valeria bends the knee, and accept her new Taldan title. While already a noble in her own right in Kintargo, the security and advantages offered by officially recognized local peerage would no doubt assist her efforts here. Of course, she understands that there will probably be a more... ceremonial event later, should the Princess be successful in her bid for the Crown, but for now, deals behind closed doors would have to suffice, and the heralds will have to be updated at a later date.

====================================

In the days that followed, Valeria was seen in and out of various shops and boutiques, and in the evenings she gave singing performances at the Silent Horse. She was also seen hand in hand with a certain young gentleman from a reputable merchant family...


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Not entirely throwing out tradition than. Good, change is important and a good platform to run on, but a lack of respect for the past means there's no foundation. Sveng rises after receiving his title. Sir Catus. Ha. I think my father would have a heart attack if he heard that. He inclines his head, giving all the proper departures as the princess makes her way out. After being told that their next assignment wouldn't be for several days, Sveng nods and makes his way out, walking at a leisurely pace (to start) in case any of the other group members wanted a word with him.

Sveng would like to do a lot of research, snooping, background checking, etc. He wants to investigate rumors that he has heard and dig up whatever dirt that may be useful. On Pythareus, naturally, but also the Princess. He needs to know what their enemies may use against them, and if things turn for the worse he also wants contingency plans. I know this is more of a scripted adventure path and I'm not sure how much freedom I'm allowed in this regard, let me know your thoughts and if I need to be more specific about what I'm looking for.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Feel free to let me know what you want to dig up and how you want to go about it. Depending on those two things and the time period we have I will let you know what you find out.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng wants to make very liberal use of his new hat of disguise so that the questions won't come back to him and/or the party and/or the Princess.

He wants to see what information he can dig up on Pythareus. The rumors and scandals currently going on with him, he wants to know what's true and false. He also wants to dig up any dirt on him, try to find somebody that may know a weakness about him, or his strengths. Essentially I want to take really in-depth knowledge checks and do the legwork to open doors for more information. Nothing too risky as Sveng wants to avoid a fight or getting thrown in jail or anything like that, but as far as he can go short of that.

Similar background digging on the Princess, although at the moment he considers this a lower priority.

He also wants to learn about all the current going ons. He's been underground for a couple days and right now his only information is what he has heard secondhand, mostly from Lady Lotheed and the Princess. He wants to become the expert on current affairs, particularly the last few days. If there's a rumor, well known or not, he wants to know about it and do whatever he can to see how much truth there is to it.

Sveng wants data. He wants as much information as he can gather, because right now he feels like a pawn being kept in the dark.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Give me 2 Know. Nobility, 2 Know. History, 2 Know. Local and 3 Diplomacy (To Gather Information)


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x88

Assuming three days of rumor mill info gathering and singing performances... in case Valeria's less formal activities also yield somethin'... :P

Diplomacy to Gather Info, Rising Star, Taking 10: 10 + 15 + 2 = 27 x3 days

Perform Sing & Dance, Taking 10: 10 + 14 = 24 x3 days


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

WOOT

Dice:
Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19 Using recall to reroll

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 16 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 16 + 4 = 40

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25 Using recall to reroll

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 16 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 16 + 4 = 40

Diplomacy (gather info): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Diplomacy (gather info): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17 Using fool's privilege to reroll

Diplomacy (gather info): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Diplomacy (gather info): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Results:
Know (nobility) = 26
Know (nobility) = 27
Know (history) = 21
Know (history) = 25
Know (local) = 40
Know (local) = 40
Diplomacy = 25
Diplomacy = 30
Diplomacy = 20

FLEXES SKILL CHECKS


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri also wants to do some investigating listening to rumors without responding, and gathering data.

Kn Nob: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 9 + (5) = 25
Kn Nob: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 9 + (4) = 19
Kn Hist: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 8 + (3) = 16
Kn Hist: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (18) + 8 + (5) = 31
Kn Loc: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (15) + 8 + (1) = 24
Kn Loc: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (15) + 8 + (4) = 27
Diplomacy to gather: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (15) + 8 + (4) = 27
Diplomacy to gather: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 8 + (6) = 30
Diplomacy to gather: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 8 + (4) = 19


Male Alias: "Sir Kalegos Seldry" | Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus bends knee as well, accepting the title. The first step on my road to redeeming the family name.

Returning to the inn, Eregos spent the next few days hanging out in the taverns and inns of the city, occasionally gambling and trying to find out a little bit about how the lower classes were reacting to the events in the Senate.

Diplomacy, Day 1: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
Diplomacy, Day 2: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Diplomacy, Day 3: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Profession (gambler): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Profession (gambler): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Profession (gambler): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

1,351 to 1,400 of 1,725 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Dak - War for the Crown 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.