GM Dak - War for the Crown 1

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 2: Songbird, Scion, Saboteur
Part 1: Songbird

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Start Day: Oathday, 1st of Pharast, 4718
Current Day: Moonday, 12nd of Pharast, 4718


1,251 to 1,300 of 1,705 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4
Hargus Kryn wrote:
Having difficulty seeing the map again. Can I move to melee range of the gray man?

You're towering over him AND you flank him AND he is prone... so +6 to hit him before your bonuses and buffs............


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Excellent, then.

Hargus takes advantage of the fact the man is prone, and strikes at him.

Attack, prone, flank: 1d20 + 7 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 4 + 2 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Between Hazel and Hargus's attacks they put an end to Mr. Gray.

Out of combat


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Observing no imminent danger, Piri searches the area they are in and the two corpses, for paperwork, notes, access badges, or anything useful.

Take 20? + 10 + free inspiration

Inspire: 1d6 ⇒ 5


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus looks up. "Well, we've finished off our guide. Where to now?"


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Piri looks around the room and checks the bodies. The halfling doesn't have much other than a masterwork rapier, a mithril chain shirt, a potion and a normal dagger. Mr. Gray has studded leather armor, a buckler, a magical sickle, an entertainer's outfit and 2 thunderstones. There's nothing of particular interest in the room.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria eyes the mithril chain shirt and the masterwork rapier. "Will you gentlemen mind?"


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Hargus looks at Valeria and says, "They look a little small for you - they are halfling-sized, after all."

GM's call if you can use them effectively, I think.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

GM word trumps all! since he didn't list them as small, small they are not! :P


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Hehe they are small since the halfling was wearing it.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria glares at Hargus for implying that the armor is too small for her. "Silly of me for even trying it, I suppose..." she says, turning away from Hargus and inspecting the rest of the gear, her sensibilities obviously offended.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri frowns at not finding anything of interest that might hint at the ultimate source of the kidnapping and ransom.


Male LG Human Arcanist (Occultist) 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMB +0, CMD 11 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 | Init: +6 | Perc: +2 | Speed 30ft | Reservoir: 4/6 | Active conditions: None.

Adrian blinks at the swiftness with which their erstwhile guide was dispatched. "Huh. Well done." He steps over to the fallen halfling to inspect the potion Piri finds among his belongings.


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

"It is hard to question dead halflings. Maybe next time, try just over-powering them?"

Waiting to see if Adrian identifies the potion, Sydney doesn't appear to interested in the rest. "Maybe you can trade it in for a more custom fit, Valeria? It looks like fine materials, even if there aren't much of them."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Spellcraft - Potion DC20:
Potion of gaseous form


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri sees Adrian examining the potion..."Yo Adrian, sorry Should you require any assistance in the identification of that potion, I happen to be infallible at that, I just need to hold it."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With your guide now dead it is up to the group to decide their next steps.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria glares at Sydney for remaining on the subject of her size. "Anyhow... let us move to the next room to the west... Piri we need your soft footsteps for reconnaissance here. Our Gray man guide is no longer with us to reveal potential traps."


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng gives Piri a bit of guidance before he leaves, then checks the area for traps himself.

Perception (guidance): 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 10 + 1 = 24


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

SOP


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

Sydney seems confused by the glare, but pays it little notice. Feeling most comfortable at the back of the pack, he waits for the others to lead the way.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Moving into the next room to the west, beakers and vials cover a table spanning the entire northern end of the room, while four shelves containing alchemical ingredients extend from the southern wall. There is a closed door in an alcove leading further west.


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

Piri carefully inspects the alchemical station and the potions and ingredients. Carefully to be aware of traps.

Perc + free insp: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 10 + (2) = 17


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

"This appears to be quite a setup."

Sydney assists Piri in his investigation.

Percaption aid: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Piri looks over the room and while there isn't anything of specific value it looks like the implements and chemicals could definitely be used in the process of creating alchemical items.

Room functions as an alchemist lab, granting a +2 bonus on craft alchemt checks


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

"Let us move on shall we?" says Valeria, ducking between two shelves and drawing her newfound masterwork rapier. "Now, I'm gonna warn you. I'm gonna appear like the Gray man for the next little while. I think I got enough of his speech and mannerism to try a good impersonation. Here's hoping, anyhow. The plan is to have me fool some of them long enough for Hazel and Hargus to flank them and have them at a disadvantage... I'm not a hero, and I don't plan to try to singlehandedly find or reach Martella. This is going to be a team effort. Matter of fact, if you could all don those uniforms from the Gray man's goons we killed earlier, that would be great... it'll look like some of you defended their lair against invaders... which they did, anyhow, when Lady Morilla had her Pathfinders attack. So wear these and let me do the talking. Maybe we can take them out in small groups..."

Valeria activates her Envoy Ring and takes the shape of the Gray Man, careful to make her masterwork rapier look like the Gray Man's weapon.

Disguise, Disguise Self: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28

She then takes some blood from the real Gray Man's corpse and smears it across the side of her neck and throat, creating the illusion of a real blow to her throat. "That'll explain why I speak hoarsely... if they ask I'll say one of the Pathfinders' arrows narrowly missed the worse part of my throat... the real victim's blood may also be sufficient to fool any detection spell that uses blood as a tracking focus... in the event that they may be using this level of security..."


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

"Seems like a magnificent plan, m'lady."

Piri adopts the clothing closely suited to his frame, while still maintaining a shadowing of his face. Noticing the bleeding wounds of Hargus seem to be the most serious he offers his one prepared Cure light wounds extract to him.

He takes a single minute to prepare another of the same for either his use or someone else's later use.

[ooc] If the roll 20 is accurate as to wounds Hargus gets 1d8 + 3 hp, otherwise Piri uses it for himself to get cwl: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 hps bringing him to his full 27 again.


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng touches his hat of disguise, changing to perfectly match one of the goons to follow Valeria in.


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Piri, I will take that CLW extract.

CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Hargus was confused by Valeria's apparent irritation at his pointing out she was bigger than a halfling. He didn't see why - halflings were child-sized, after all, and Valeria was definitely not a child. Had the Gray Man had one, that likely would have fit her. Shrugging at his lack of understanding, he continued through to the next room with the others, then listened to Valeria's plan. Unfortunately, he hadn't thought to bring one of the uniforms with them from up above, and said so. "I don't have one of the uniforms from up above - I didn't think we were using them. I can go back and get one, if someone could provide me a light."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

"I brought the uniforms. Here. And I also have needle and thread if some of you need to adjust them in a pinch..."

Shameless retcon here, since I'm not sure if I implicitly mentioned bringing them in one of my posts. Valeria would have grabbed the uniforms, as they're pretty light, and she got ranks in Craft: Clothing. Matter of fact she disrobes the Gray Man right now, and puts his shirt/pants on. Those props are great when you deal with enemies who can see through illusions... as part of the disguise is real... so you're sometimes still good at a distance due to Perception distance penalty...


LN Human Pact Wizard 4 HP: 25/25 AC: 10 Tch: 10 FF: 10 CMD: 12 | F +3 R +2 W +7 | Init: +1 Perc: +6 | Active: none

"Wow, you all seem quite adept at this impersonation thing... remind me not to get on your bad side."

Not at all confident that he can pull off the charade, Sydney does change into one of the guards uniforms.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

"This is Taldor, dear Sydney. If you don't get to master the art of deception, one day you'll get to do impersonations upon uttering a few simple arcane syllable anyway. The thing to keep in mind is that here, as many people get to learn ways to see through either of those... trust me, I'm not from Taldor, so I've noticed how clever you people are over here..."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

No issues with you getting clothes from the dead, even if you hadn't gotten them before nothing is really stopping you from going back to retrieve them. So we can assume you all get disguised, let me know your next steps.


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Disguise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Seamless Guise will not apply to this one, since it doesn't involve appearing as one of my two identities.

Hargus dons the disguise of the assassin, hoping that his work is convincing.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

SDOP:
Piri-Perception (Traps): 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 1 = 22
Piri-Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Piri-Perception (Listen): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Once everyone is disguised and ready Piri steps up and looks things over. Luckily he spots a trip-wire that seems to run into the adjoining room before anyone triggers it and is able to disable it so everyone can cross without setting it off.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

'Goon' Hazel and 'Gray Man' Valeria move down the hall along with the others. While she waits for the rest of the party to file in, Valeria takes a shot of whiskey on the way, letting it sit in her throat to let it burn for a few moments... Once they reach the next chamber, 'Gray Man' Valeria says with a hoarse voice, while rubbing the patch of her neck that she smeared with blood, <HOARSE>"Sorry to disturb boss, but we suffered heavy casualties upstairs against an attack from a bunch of experienced Pathfinders... what should we do next? we're down to just a few of us, and we're all wounded..."<HOARSE>

Bluff: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
Previously established Disguise: 28 + 0 = 28


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Opening the door and walking down the hall, the room here gives way to an open cavern beyond. Six sets of manacles, evenly spaced along the western cave wall, dangle down to the dirt floor. All but one set hang empty, while the final set secures the body of a beaten and bruised woman who you immediately recognize as Martella Lotheed. You also are quick to recognize the gnome performer from the Gala, Wyssilka the Fantabulous. She appears to be the one leading the torture or interrogation or whatever is going on. Inside are three more cultists with her, providing assistance.

Martella is barely concious and appears to be in pretty bad shape, you see several empty vial on the ground which look similar to those from the alchemy room and you notice Martella's clothes, in addition to being stained with blood have various splotches of different colored liquids on it.

You interrupt as the gnome is saying "I promise to stop this and give you a quick death, all you have to do is tell me where the Princess is hiding..."

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
1d20 + 5 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 6 = 21

As you get her attention she turns to you and looks to her cultists then back to you before speaking. "Pathfinders? Really...? Well I'm assuming if you are down here you dealt with them yes? Keep watching upstairs. I don't think our guest of honor will hold out too much longer and then we can get out of here."


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

<HOARSE>"Very well boss... you wouldn't happen to have any healing left for our guys would you?... I'm sure they would appreciate it. Also, since you're almost done boss, could you spare these three guys to replace those who can no longer fight topside?"<HOARSE>

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Aasimir Investigator (Empiricist)4 AC 119|T14|FF16|HP35 Init+3|Perc+11|Fort 3|Ref 7(+1)|Will 4(+2)|Darkvision 60|DR Acid, cold, elec.|

I like where you're going


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Sveng, knowing part of his disguise includes having his lips sown shut, does nothing but loom ominously, quietly watching the back and forth.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Wyssilka rolls her eyes and waves her hand dismissively "No, I don't have any healing, but take two of my men here if you want. You can get the other three in the sleeping quarters as well if you need them, just make sure I'm not interrupted. We are so close."


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Once Valeria confirms, Sveng inclines his head and gestures for the two goons (and the rest of the party) to follow him, moving to the sleeping quarters. As they get close to the room he turns his head so that only the party members can see his face, and mouths the words Trust me.

I have a plan! Let's see how it goes.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

Valeria follows Sveng's lead.


Male Human Vigilante (avenger) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 21 | CMD 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +6 | Init +2 | Perception +8; low-light vision

Not seeing why they hadn't just attacked Wyssilka, Hargus follows Sveng's lead to see what his plan is.

No way to communicate my plan from discussion, plus we don't know where the barracks are, so we're just walking.


CG Female Human Bard 4 | Speed 30 ft. | AC 17, T 12, FF 16 | hp 27/27 | Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6 | Init +11 | Percep +7 | CMD 16 | Spells 1st 5/5 2nd 2/2 Bardic Performance 15/15 | Reroll @ +3 1/1 | Conditions: none Wand CLW x89

I'm just taking a backseat for now as I don't want to bully everyone one way or the other... I've done... my fair share of posts leading to here! :)


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

So you are departing with two of the three men from the room following you. Where are you going?


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

To the sleeping quarters, if we know where that is. Do we have an idea, or did the person perhaps wave a hand to indicate a direction?


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

You have no idea. Aside from that so far the places you have gone do not appear to be sleeping quarters. :)


Male Human Cleric 4 | HP 23/23 | AC 15 | T 11 | FF 14 | CMD 12 | Fort +5 | Ref +3 | Will +9* | Init +2 | Perc +12
*:
-1 vs compulsion (see drawback)

Hmm.

Hmmmmm

I find it endlessly ironic that I made Sveng to be a master planner and manipulator yet have consistently been bumbling my way through combat in an almost entirely useless fashion.

Time to adjust than:

Sveng leads the others out the way they came in. From a quick glance around the sleeping quarters wasn't anywhere nearby, and certainly not adjacent to the room they were holding Lady Lotheed in. So taking down these two should be plenty.

Once they are outside Sveng closes the door and returns to the front, passing by Valeria as he does so and whispering into her ear. "Now."

Hoping to give Valeria a chance to act in the surprise round along with Sveng, and waiting for her to act so she can get a spell off before I cast silence. I will wait to see the result of her spell, because if she just knocks them both out with a sleep spell I won't bother casting silence.


Tiefling (Pitborn) Brawler 3 | HP 27/29 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +1 | Init +6 | Perc +8 | Martial Flexibility 2/4

Suggestion: Sveng alone with goons up front then channels negative from a corner in the room with practice dummies (the one Gray died in) we then finish them off and return to save Martella ASAP. Does that work with everyone? Valeria is saving one spell for the final battle but Channel + martials should be enough for these goons.

1,251 to 1,300 of 1,705 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Dak - War for the Crown 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.