Fort Inevitable

Game Master Daedeloth

Adventures around Fort Inevitable


3,201 to 3,250 of 3,504 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>

AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

Smiling-Pnin, I know I'm new to the group but I think the distribution of pain is you handle the traps, and spiders apparently, while the rest of us get carved up in melee.

Well done on your part, and speaking of traps, why don't you check that door before we go through it?


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4
DM Darkvision wrote:
the roof remains intact and free of spiders.

It could have been a SPIDER TRAP!!!

To Kael, annoyed:I certainly have seen you get sliced up in melee, Kael, and I appreciate that. But I too have seen a share of damage. And these traps are avoidable damage.

After a deep sigh and receiving Sanrael's compliment, calmer: Sorry, my nerves are certainly frayed; this place is certainly starting to wear me down. What can arrows do to a lava monster . . . but we must press forward.

Pnin inspects the next door for traps

Perception+Traps: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35


Pnin finds no traps on the door.


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

OK, Pnin tries to open the door.


Pnin opens the door to a 25’x 40’ room with many tables covered in glass vials, jars, beakers, herbs and powders. The hooded form of Gorloth stands behind one of the tables with a vial in one hand and a jar in another. Three shadowy forms float near him. In the back of the room there is another door.

Gorloth looks directly at Pnin as the door opens, apparently unsurprised:

“Welcome my furry friend, you too crooner. Ahh, and your ill mannered friend is here as well. I see you’ve lost the beautiful girl and the ugly man. But you’ve a new friend instead, welcome to you as well, my name is Gorloth, how can I be of assistance?”


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

Gorloth...you have the uncanny ability to appear when one least expects....


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

What a twist!

Hello, Gorloth, I wondered if we'd run into you again. The amount of change in the spire since we last met makes that encounter feel quite long ago. We'd be interested in anything you could tell us about this place or Klarkosh's activities herein. Any chance at another bargain?


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

You, sir, are a hard man to get a hold of.


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

~detect evil~

Kael stands quietly trying to determine if this is the 'Gorloth' the party described to him.

If things turn sour Kael is ready to rush in and hack the man down.


“Well yes my dear catman, the Spire is ever changing, one of its endearing qualities, one never gets bored here. Karklosh still resides within the Spire of that much I’m sure and I believe he can be found by following the blue portals. I’m prepared to offer you several useful items in exchange for the return of a small box in Karklosh’s possession, it is marked with a skull with a crown.”

He puts down the jar and vial and then reaches below the table and pulls out a bag dumping its contents on the table: a headband, a cloak, a ring, and a belt. There is also a small blue token.

“You may take the token and 2 items now and 2 upon delivery of the box intact to me. And I will have your oath on our deal.”

Kael:
The shadows around Gorloth are evil, and Gorloth detects as evil as well.


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Apologies for my ignorance, Gorloth, but what exactly are you offering here? Pnin gestures toward the table.

In case Pnin can identify the items on sight: Perception: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (14) + 19 = 33

Message: Can anyone verify if he tells the truth about the items?


“Ahh, Mr. Pnin, one of your friends should be able to verify the magical nature of these items, the headband increases the power of positive healing energy, the belt increases one’s health, the cloak makes one more resistant to magic, and the ring improves upon one’s armor.”

The items all look finely crafted to Pnin.


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

Why wouldn't we just kill you and your creatures, ridding the world of some unpleasantness, and take the items in question?-Kael asks coldly.


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

hp 38(46)/con 14(18)

sanrael chuckles..it seems that our new found friend has surpassed my congeniality Gorloth...allow us to talk amongst ourselves and discuss your generous offer..


“You can certainly give it a try, these three pretty much did just that.”

Gorloth points at the shadowy figures next to him.


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Oh boy . . . how to calm a paladin . . .


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

Sanrael steps back away a few steps..and calls the party to him
let us decide what we shall do...clearly Gorloth does not come upon us by chance...and at this time i dont feel we...or i would fare well....and he has that blue token amongst the items...which we clearly need...


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

Kael's face clearly shows his inner conflict-I'll abide by whatever decision the group comes to. I'm not happy to bargain with evil, but if you all think that's the best bath I will accede to your direction. Of course if you think it's just best we kill these foes now I'm good with that too.

My only point to you would be if Gorloth needs us to kill Karklosh because he's not powerful enough, doesn't that mean that we should be able to defeat Gorloth?


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Well, begging your pardon, but does your god even allow you to make oaths to types like Gorloth? I get your reasoning, Kael, but I would agree with Sanrael that we might not be in the best shape for this fight either. I would err on the side of caution for now, if you can.


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

either way...logic dictates that the blue token is key...no pun intended....if we choose not to strike a bargain....even a temporary one....that we retire to rest....


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Pnin wonders about Gorloth's hench...things.

KnowDungeon: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

I wonder what Gorloth's shadowy minions are....?

knowReligion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Curral or Sanrael?


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

Sanrael tries to recall what information he gleaned from his last encounter with Gorloth and these shadowy creatures
know dungeon: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

Know Dungeon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

know Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Pnin and Curral recall these shadowy creatures hands can pass through armor completely ignoring any of its protective qualities and their touch drains a person’s strength. When a person loses all his strength he becomes one of the creatures.


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

Kael mentally chants to himself, calming his nerves-I have faith in the Inheritor...I will channel her strength through my body...first into battle....

Kael confidently strides forward to table, grabbing the headband-These we will take...-he puts it on-...and this I will give!

He then swings his blade in a savage arc at Gorloth:

Smite evil
GSPA: 1d20 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 3 = 282d6 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (6, 3) + 13 + 4 = 26 +4 more points if Gorloth is an outsider, dragon, or undead. Bypass DR.


Gorloth takes a savage body blow from Kael significantly wounding him, he gestures towards Kael and the shadow attack, Gorloth casts a spell disappearing.

Attacks are against touch AC.

shadow grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
str dam: 1d6 ⇒ 6

shadow grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

shadow grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
str dam: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Party action.


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

wut!

Pnin doesn't know what he can do against a shadow.

KnowDungeon: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Not sure if second knowledge check is OK or not . . . common sense says an arrow cannot hurt them, right?


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

Cast Mirror Image

mirror image: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

-10STR

Calming his mind-Be my strength goddess...

Yelling to the group-Use magic on these unholy things!

pulse to damage undead; DC 14 save: 1d6 ⇒ 2 Plus whatever effect the headband has.


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

GSPA: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 112d6 + 13 ⇒ (6, 5) + 13 = 24


That roll isn’t going to garner any additional info so make your move Pnin.


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Yikes . . .

Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 9 - 2 = 10

Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 9 - 2 = 9

Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Double yikes . . .


Kael channels a wave of positive energy doing some damage to the shadows, but two of them prove somewhat resistant.
Curral casts a defensive spell and Sanrael and Pnin’s shock cause them to flail about.

Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10

Save: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 2 = 16
Save: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25
Save: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8

The shadows continue to feed off Kael’s life energy completely draining him of his strength and life.

grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Str dam: 1d6 ⇒ 5

grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Str dam: 1d6 ⇒ 2

grasp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Str dam: 1d6 ⇒ 4


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

Curral readys his sword, and is about to start Inspiring Courage when he sees Kael fall and what comes out of his mouth instead is RUNNNNN!! and takes off back the way we came.


AC-22; HP 38 INIT +1; PERCEPTION +10
Melee:
Greatsword +9/2d6+7; PA: +7; 2d6+13
Saves:
+10FORT; +5REF; +7WILL

1d4 ⇒ 2


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

Frig!!! by Urgathoas mangled teats!!! run!!!!!!!! Sanrael follows after Curral


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Yeah, Pnin follows as fast as possible.


The Paladin falls and the group makes a run for it.

The party flees through the room that had the trap, then bolts through the hot room with the lava and arrives at the room with the green platform, Pnin slams and bolts the stone door behind him, hoping it will prove capable of stopping the shadows.

Curral, Sanrael and Pnin all leap on the green platform but nothing happens. You look at each other in dread as you realize Kael had the green token.


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

-Well, I was afraid that this was going to happen. Ah well.

Looking at Pnin and Sanrael, Any ideas before I throw try and sweet talk Gorloth?


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Why do you think we will meet Gorloth and not certain doom?


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

not really...that was my original intent...strike a bargain leaving us in a stronger position....nonetheless...were not in any position to fight anyone....just 3 of us....i originally tried to to strike such a bargain..Kael was foolhardy and paid with his mortal existence..now just a shadow...lets slowly make our way back....pojection thoughts out to gorloth...i see no other choice...perhaps if we dont attack the shadows wont attack us....and im nervous about the evil lurking in the lava...


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

Well, I suppose we could look for a green stone throughout the area. Let's give it a go. Then we'll face certain doom....


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Calming down a bit: Perhaps I was being too fearful . . . though it was terrifying to see Kael's great strength cut down so easily. I'm not sure we have a more thorough way to explore and no egress without the stone. Maybe back to Gorloth is the best option overall. I'm fine with exploring around first if you know of a place we haven't thoroughly searched.

Didn't we already ask the illustrious DM and hear there are no other places?


The party sneaks back through the lava room to Gorloth’s room.

Opening the door they see three shadows surrounding a bandaged Gorloth who is kneeling next to Kael’s prone body.

He looks up as the door opens, “What now?”

perception dc23:
Kael’s chest is rising and falling ever so slightly, he lives.


AC 19; HP 46 INIT +2; PERCEPTION +15
Melee:
+9 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon); 2d6+7(6STR/1weapon)Power Attack+7 to hit (4STR/4BAB/1weapon/-2PA); 2d6+13 (6STR/1weapon/6PA)ranged composit bow +6;1d8+
Saves:
+8 FORT; +6 REF; +3 WILL

gorloth...Curral... Sanrael gestures at Curral would like to apologize onour behalf and make amends... Sanrael quickly scurries back behind Cural


AC 21; HP 32; INIT +6; PERCEPT +19 [+21 for traps]
Combat:
Shortbow +9 / 1d6+5; Morningstar +4 / 1d8+1; Sneak Attack +2d6
Saves:
Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +4

Pnin looks around

Perception+Traps: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35


AC 21; HP 36; init +3; Perception + 7

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Sorry Gorloth, We were unaware of Kael's intentions. I was hoping we'ld be able to work together. Unfortunately, without Kael's might, Im not sure we would be able accomplish the task you required. We need the green stone to be able to try and recruit another body for the job.

Curral bows and awaits a response.


“Kael lives, perhaps a bit wiser and one can hope less impulsive. I will provide you the blue token and you may have the green token back when you have finished your task. My original offer stands, Kael has chosen one item, another is available to you before you seek out Karklosh, the remainder when you return.”

Kael awakens -2 Con permanent

Current HP 10.

New ability: 1/day for 1 minute any weapon you wield has ghost touch property (swift action)

Remaining items to pick from: Belt of Con +2, Ring of Protection +2, Cloak of Resistance +2

3,201 to 3,250 of 3,504 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Fort Inevitable All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.