GM Sarah's Carrion Crown

Game Master Sarah Olsen

Carrion Crown Maps

Loot Sheet

Initiative:

[dice=Malakos] 1d20 + 2 [/dice]
[dice=Sisu] 1d20 + 1 [/dice]
[dice=Chellian] 1d20 + 1 [/dice]
[dice=Rahela] 1d20 + 4 [/dice]
[dice=Niralzi] 1d20 + 6 [/dice]


1 to 50 of 947 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

“You are hereby invited to attend the funeral and burial of the Esteemed Professor Petros Lorrimor He will be laid to eternal rest in “The Restlands” in town of Ravengro. Afterwards your presence is requested at the reading of his last will and testament."

-Kendra Lorrimor

17 days ago The Professor passed away. You received this letter by Raven a few days later and started to make your way to Ravengro for the funeral.

This adventure starts the morning of the funeral, 17 days after the professor passed and at the entrance to the Restlands. You can introduce your character as just arriving into town making your way to the cemetery.


HP 4/4 | Fort + 0 Ref +4 Will +4 AC 16 Touch 16 Flat 14 | Init +2 | Per +5 Female Thrush Familiar

Avatar picture selection totally borked right now. I'll change it if and when Paizo ever fixes the issue

"Ray, I think this must be the town we're looking for. I'll fly ahead and see if I can find the cemetary"


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

"Be careful. Don't let people see you as anything except a normal thrush. You saw how nervous those villagers have been over the last few days. The mere site of us seemed to scare them"


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

A short woman in dusty traveling clothes comes wandering in from a caravan just outside of town. She stands out as she passes through Ravengro, due to her dusky skin and the burn scars all the way down the left side of her face and body. Although she attracts odd looks and some stares from the townsfolk, she is completely oblivious as she's glancing around at the buildings and writing in a worn book, paying no attention to the people around her.

As she arrives at the entrance to the Restlands, she finally looks up. "Good day. I have come to observe the rites for Petros Lorrimor. Is this the correct location?" She takes a slightly longer look at Rahela "Pardon me. I noticed that you were speaking with that thrush. Were you speaking with a pet or is it a closer companion that can easily communicate back with you? I'd like to ask you some questions about it if you have the time before the ceremony begins. I'm especially interested to know if there is an arcane connection and if so how the link was initially established."

She pauses for a second, then continues with a slightly abashed look on her face "I apologize. I seem to have forgotten my social conventions. Greetings, my name is Sisu."


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

"Hello. I'm also here for the funeral of the professor. I'm not totally sure but I think that we're supposed to be up ahead."

"Hmm, how honest do I want to be? Probably best not to lie but Grulda DID tell me not to volunteer too much"

"Yes, I was talking to Vralk. No Arcane connection although I certainly think of her as quite a bit more than just a pet"

Probably doesn't take much of a sense motive to realize that Rahela, while telling the truth, is being somewhat cagey in what she says

"Do you happen to know how the professor died? The note that I received didn't tell me."

I should have described Rahela earlier. She is wearing armour and a wide brimmed hat that mostly, but not completely, obscure her grey skin. Skin that almost glows in the dim light


Female Human Ranger 2 Barb 1 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 16 T:12 FF:14| CMD:18 | F:+7 R:+4 W:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed: 40' |

The journey to Ravengro had been one of the hardest things she had ever done in her life. She could still remember the strange feeling she felt when she saw the messenger enter her home and her mother come out carrying the letter... but then motioning for her father to continue his work. So much hurt for such a tiny frail thing. It felt heavy,too tucked into a belt pouch that seemed to drag down her belt.

Already she could feel the townfolks eyes on her as she trudged toward the town's cemetery. She had grown used to the looks at home, as the townsfolk in her home had grown used to her presence. It wasnt everyday a young woman of her height and proportions walked by. She was taller than almost everyone in her hometown of Karcau by almost a head and a half except her father and as wide if not wider than most of the boys... the fact she had grown up around a forge certainly didnt hurt either.

The professor never made me feel awkward.

She thought to herself having to stop and lean on the stave part of her glaive as she bit back tears. The old man was one of the few people in her life outside of her parents that had ever made her feel at ease...not some sort of freak or abnormal being. Several solid seconds passed before she managed to fight off the tears. She was sure she looked horrible on the road she had just let the tears fall but this close to town. She sniffled and pulled part of her cloak to her face to clear away the tears before heading forward.

She was so focused on her steps that she almost walked into a couple of people outside the entrance to the restlands. She stood there for a moment out of politeness not wanting to interupt but when she saw a moment to speak she did so.

"Im here for Professor's Lorrimor's funeral? Is there a delay?"

She asked, it was clear she was puzzled why anyone would just be standing at the entrance to a cemetery.Her voice was softer than was probably expected for a person so large.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

"I am unsure. We are also here for the funeral rites. I received a letter from Petros's daughter Kendra, but she does not yet seem to have arrived. I assume that we are waiting until she, and any other invitees, arrive before we start."

Sisu pulled her journal back out and looked at her temporary companions.

"While we wait, may I ask about your relationships with the Professor? I can assume that those invited have had a closer interaction with him than most, and I would like to be able to annotate those relationships to better understand and document his life."

Hmmm, I probably need to initiate a connection before strangers are apt to share what might be of personal import to them

"I believe the normal course of action when asking people to share personal confidences such as this is to begin by sharing, so I will let you know that the Professor helped me greatly in my studies in exchange for being allowed to study the wounds that I assume you have noticed, as well as the circumstance in which I gained them. We also remained in correspondence for several years, sharing what information we gleaned during our travels."

Sisu stands poised to write in her journal, looking at the others expectantly...


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Stepping out of a nearby alley-way, a tiefling of middling height in a red and black cloak over more usual adventurer's garb, about 5’8”, with wine-red skin and large ram-like horns that curl around his slightly pointed ears. His eyes glow like white hot metal, one might think he is blind but upon closer inspection they are far whiter than the milky-ness of the blind.

Looking around he sees a small crowd forming, Malakos strides over to them, "Here for the funeral? I can't believe the good professor is dead or why he'd have the funeral in a town like this, this place is dreadful,"

Looking at each of the party members, "Were you all invited by the professor as well? Seems he has rather eclectic tastes for friends. I didn't know him personally, but I studied under him at the University, I'd like to think I was his favorite pupil and that is why he invited me here,"

Pulling his hood down, "I'm Malakos, Malakos Grimsight, my father named me that, I doubt he ever meant it as a compliment but I've taken it as my name none the less," A small lump is moving up his torso and then down into his arm and out through his sleeve where a small black and gray rat pops out and gives a squeak, "And this is Hannibal, my rat, there are many like him but this one is mine,"


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

As she is talking a Thrush flies back from the graveyard and lands on her shoulder. Rahela makes a tiny shake of her head as the Thrush looks about to speak and the Thrush remains quiet.

"My name is Rahela. I didn't know the professor all that well, really. By chance, I happened to save his life one day and he was very grateful for that. But, beyond a few brief conversations as he recovered from his injuries he is basically a stranger to me.

If you're documenting his life I can tell you a little more later. But there isn't much heroic about it. He was attacked by bandits and left for dead and I happened along and healed him before he could succumb to his wounds. It was Not That Year, but This, that he was destined for the Boneyard"


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

"Thank you Rahela. I should mention that I'm not specifically documenting the Professor's life, I am a researcher by profession, and travel extensively conducting my studies. I feel that by documenting everything that might be of historical, arcane, biological, divine, or any other import I only better myself. Petros was an unusual enough figure and his areas of study wide that anyone who impressed him enough to be specifically invited to his funerary rites is worth speaking with."

I think I saw more interaction with that thrush of hers. I think it is probably an arcane familiar or some kind of spirit animal although she seems to want to hide that from us. I'll have to watch closer.

"I should add that I often augment my income by taking on investigations into unusual or mysterious events for anyone who needs a puzzle solved or a problem identified. If the untimely loss of the Professor has left any of you with a hardship or issue he had not yet been able to assist you with, I am willing to provide my help."

"This is also my first trip to Ravengro, and the populace did seem to be rather preoccupied and nervous. Maybe I can find something interesting to involve myself in before I depart."

If not, at least Kendra might allow me to look into his recent research. Oh Petros, you continue to present interesting opportunities even after your passing


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

While we wait, I might as well prepare something so that I can better study the intricacies of this rite once it begins

Sisu takes out her a bottle and some reagents and begins to mix up a rather unusual looking concoction.

Take 1 minute of our waiting time to create an extract of Heightened Awareness.


look like we are just waiting on one character. I'll wait till they "arrive" to really start :)


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Just checked our 5th's posting history. You might want to try and PM them, they haven't posted anything at all with any aliases since the 5th when they submitted their application. Not sure if they know they've been selected.


Female Human Ranger 2 Barb 1 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 16 T:12 FF:14| CMD:18 | F:+7 R:+4 W:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed: 40' |

She almost leapt out of her skin when the tiefling introduced himself. She had heard of them before...had seen one at her fathers shop years ago when she was little, buying shoes for his horse that had thrown one, but she had never been that close to one. Her father had always warned her to be leary of them though, and that sounded wise at the moment.

She stiffled a giggle at the rats impromptu greetings. She had never been one to be afraid of small rodents like that, or even snakes or the like. Spiders though...She shuddered slightly at the thought of those creatures.

" He was studdying a site, near my home. I was familiar with the area, though his bodyguard rescued me from an monsters snare. Since i was local and knew the area well he sort of hired me on during his exca.."

She frowned clearly trying to find the right word but failing.

"He had a dig site there. He was looking at old things."

Memories came flooding in and she bit back a sob again blushing in front of these strangers.

"He was nice to me, and let me ask questions without making fun of them. He was a good man. "

She finished hanging her head and scowling at herself.

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

A young female in ordinary garb is walking toward the group of mourning adventurers - nondescript black hair, medium height and build, human appearing, pale complexion - pallid to ashen some might notice. The most noteworthy element of her character is her recorder's song.

Perform recorder: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

A wistful tune, strange and sad, comes quietly through the crowd. The music belies her grief though the melody is one not recognized by the townspeople. Lost in her song, Niralzi almost bumps into the group.

”Oh! So sorry! My mistake! Are you all here for the Professor? I’ve been overwhelmed with grief since the note came. Though we did not know each other well, he had such an important influence on my life!”

Wiping away a few tears, Niralzi smiled wanly at the group.

What an odd group - reminds me of my traveling days - I suppose not unexpected for the professor and perhaps a good sign that he was important to so many!

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

"My manners! My name is Niralzi. I grew up in Karcau. It is my home once again though not where I met the fascinating professor - may he now find peace-filled adventures and all the knowledge he seeks."


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Eying the Fetchling, "Its good to meet you, I think this is all a time of grief and sadness for us, its difficult to lose such a person that the Professor was," Looking to the rest of the group, "Sounds like we all had some sort of connection to the Professor, I wonder what he wants with all of us,"


As you are all introducing yourselves you see a wagon and a small group of people walk up the street towards you. The wagon arrives carrying the casket of the professor. As it stops in front of the gates a young woman with dark auburn hair and a fair complexion, steps down from the wagon. You assume that this is Kendra Lorrimor, the professors’ only child and the one who sent the funeral invitation.

"First off I would like to thank you all for coming. It means a lot to me to know that my father's friends would travel such great distances to be here when we lay him to rest. Now I would ask for volunteers to act as pallbearers to carry him in the procession to the grave site within The Restlands.” Kendra asks though quiet tears.

since you have just arrived into town you can assume that you are still outfitted with your weapons, and gear. If you choose to be a pallbearer both of your hands are considered full. She needs a minimum of 4 pallbearers.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

I would prefer to be able to take notes through this ceremony, but do not want to offend by refusing to participate...

"Good day Miss Lorrimor. We have never met but your father spoke of you warmly. I would be glad to be of assistance with the procession."

Sisu straps her spear to her back and puts her journal away to free up her hands and waits by the casket.

Just before picking up the casket I will drink the extract of heightened awareness. I want to wait til the last minute so that I have as much of the 10 minute effect as possible to better observe the ceremony and write it down later.

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

”Happy to assist and humbled to be here”, Niralzi bows while stowing her recorder in her pack.


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

To Niralzi, before the coffin showed up:
"Do not grieve too much for him. Death is a part of life and is not to be feared. He has merely taken the next step on a journey. Honour his life but do not mourn its ending"

To Kendra:
"I would be honoured to help take him to his final resting place, but I am not sure that I am strong enough to bear the weight. If not others step forward, I will do the best that I can"


Female Human Ranger 2 Barb 1 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 16 T:12 FF:14| CMD:18 | F:+7 R:+4 W:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed: 40' |

She swallowed and nodded for a moment before putting words to the action.

"I...I can help bear the load."

She said managing to straighten up.


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Bowing before Miss Lorrimer, ”I knew your father, he was a great teacher of mine, I have always been inspired by his greatness and I aspire to live by his example,” Taking her hand, ”I know this is a terrible time but we were all friends of your father and grieve with you,”

Seeing that others have agreed to take up the load already, ”I’ll stand by ready to assist if need be, if someone needs to switch out I can try and hold the weight,”


Kendra thanks you and moves to her spot at the front of the procession. Chellian, Rahela, Niralzi and Sisu take their spots on the coffin and the procession begins. One of the towns person's son, who is in attendance, starts to sing a slow mournful song as your group walks along The Dreamwake. Upon turning the first corner onto the next path, The Eversleep you see that it is blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals. The tallest of these steps forward to stop the procession.
“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. “Want are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been…”

if anyone wants to speak up you can now or can wait to see how the conversation goes...


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Incoming "Sisu confuses the locals with her fancy talk" wall of text. (Sisu uses her INT score for diplomacy so I'm trying to have her be more logical than charismatic in her persuasion.)

Interesting. I wonder if this is a common occurrence or if this is an anomaly in rites like this.

Sisu addresses the locals loudly and clearly, using her 'friendly but stern lecturer' voice. "From what I understand, there is a priest supporting this endeavor, everything has been pre-arranged and approved, and it is the norm for residents of this town to be interred in these Restlands. Professor Lorrimor's status as the owner of a home in Ravengro fits him in that category.

I do not understand why you would object to these proceedings but I feel that the proper method of approaching your issue of discontent would be through the magistrates of this town or the church that manages the Restlands. Simply causing a scene here does not seem to put any official status on your position."

They seem more emotional than logical in their speech, so I doubt that they have any legal backing to their request

"We would appreciate it greatly if you were to let us pass. If there are issues then they can be discussed in the proper forum after the ceremony is complete. If you do have any concrete evidence that your opposition is warranted feel free to present it, but if all you have are emotional pleas and hearsay then letting us pass seems like a wiser option. We are more than capable of handling any ... disagreements ... and have the church on our side."

Diplomacy to persuade: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Inspiration: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Total Diplomacy Roll: 20

She whispers to the rest of the pallbearers "I wonder what their issue with the Professor is? In any case, if they don't disperse we may have to take action. I'd recommend getting ready to put this casket down if necessary."


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

"You would interfere in the last journey that this man will take? The last journey that we ALL will take? Whatever your grievances may be, this is not the time nor the place for them. Sometime soon, perhaps this year, perhaps in twenty, it will be YOU taking this journey. Would you want YOUR voyage interfered with? Of course not.

Whatever he has done, let the feud end with his death. In death we are all equal. In death we are all united"

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Up to you if I'm making my own check or automatically aiding Sisu's. PBP makes coordination a little difficult :-)


Rahela, it would be an aid another check :)

The tallest of the thugs steps forward and sneers at the group and motions to the rest of his thugs to leave. "You got your way today Kendra but mark my words..." he yells back towards her as he leads his group from the Restlands.

You have received one Trust Point. Trust is an important factor in this adventure. Action you take can increase or decrease the amount of trust the towns citizens have for you. Your Trust score started at 20 and you are now at 21

After the thugs leave Kendra turns towards you, "Thank you all so much. And I am so sorry that you had to witness that." Councilman Vashian Heartmount speaks up "I am sorry too, they are local farmhands and all of low character. Shall we proceed, Father Grimburrow is waiting for us to being the ceremony?"

As you reach the plot Father Grimburrow says a few words in the rite of Pharasma and the 2 gravediggers lower the coffin into the open grave. Kendra steps forwards and tries to say a few words while fighting back tears, "My Father was a great and learned man wanting to spread his wisdom and knowledge across the land, his sudden death is heart wrenching and..." she trails off in tears.

[ooc] at this point if any of you would like to recount your interactions with the professor you can. You can also make a Diplomacy or Performance check (DC 15) to aid you in the recounting of your tale.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

I see. After putting the body to rest, now we tell stories of his life. This is a good way to honor someone's memory.

Sisu, caught up in the ceremony, steps up and speaks. Used to addressing students, academics, and even magistrates and juries, she is no stranger to public speaking.

"As mentioned by Kendra, Professor Petros Lorrimor is probably best known for his extensive knowledge and all the people that he has educated, whether in person or through writings. I'm sure everyone here is well aware of his academic career, so I want to speak for a minute about another side of the man.

I am the daughter of a traveling academic, and I have always strove to emulate my father in his investigations. As a researcher myself, as well as a follower of Inori, Master of History and Knowledge, it seems obvious that Petros and I would gravitate towards each other. We spent many years in correspondence, sharing our studies and theories with each other, but that is not the only side of the story.

When I first met Petros, I was a young, damaged girl who was forced to travel in order to avoid being ostracised. The combination of lack of wealth, my infernal heritage, and the unattractive scars from my injuries did not sit well with others and I faced many social hardships. As my experience had given me knowledge that the Professor desired, I expected him to either take or trade for what assistance and information he needed and then move on, as this was the only form of interaction I understood outside of my immediate traveling family.

This he did not do. After obtaining what information he desired, he remained in contact. He led me through my studies, he introduced me to other researchers, he helped me find investigation jobs so I could increase my standard of living, never asked for anything from me, and always expressed interest and delight in what research I shared with him even when it was of a much lower quality than his own. In time he was no longer Professor Lorrimor, he was Petros. My mentor. My friend. He was a good man who not only greatly advanced my career, but also showed me kindness and affection, and strengthened my faith in the potential good that can be present in us all."

As the speech has gone on, Sisu begins to get a catch in her voice, and her normal lecturer's oration becomes less sure.

"As I'm sure you've already realized, I am no stranger to speaking, but I am used to sharing facts and theories, not personal thoughts. I'm sorry if I did not do this right, but I wanted you all to know what a good, wise, loving man he was in addition to the academic that most knew."

Sisu finishes her speech and steps down, much less sure of herself than when she began.

What was that? I meant to speak of his knowledge and erudition, not...that. I hope I haven't made a fool of myself

diplomacy + inspiration: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 7 + (6) = 30

Don't worry, not all my posts are going to be this long. This just seemed like a good way to not just RP the funeral but also act as a further introduction to Sisu.


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

"I knew little of the professor. Our meeting was relatively short.

What I DO know is what his actions show me. He is a man who understands gratitude and a man of his word, no matter how lightly the latter may have been given. I managed to do him a favour and he therefore said that he owed me a debt. Quite honestly, I didn't think that he owed me much. Although my action was very important to him, it was neither dangerous or onerous on my part. He said that he would repay the debt at some point but I never expected him to actually do so. I expected him to forget what I did just like most people forget favours done for them.

I was wrong. He remembered. And kept his word. That, in my mind, makes him quite special"

If allowed, would take 10 on diplomacy for a 20. If not allowed
diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Sisu waits expectantly, journal at the ready, to see if anyone else wants to speak.

She whispers to the person next to her "I am new to this type of ceremony, what will be next on the agenda?"


Female Human Ranger 2 Barb 1 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 16 T:12 FF:14| CMD:18 | F:+7 R:+4 W:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed: 40' |

Her heart had been thundering so loudly in her chest when those brutes... those terrible terrible people had tried to stop the funeral prosession that she almost couldnt think straight. The anger from that moment still seemed to be pulding through her blood even after and it took a moment of awkward silence before she realized others were saying their words about the professor. That finally calmed her down.

The tall maiden took a step forward and then a deep breath.

"He was nice to me. He didnt treat me like some strange creature. I know its not much, but I met him when he rescued me near a sight he was researching near my home. A monster it was... "

She paused and ran a hand along the side of her head, collecting some hair and pulling it back from her eyes and over her ear.

"He hired me then, since i knew the area, and he showed me the things he found, and let me ask questions, and explained them. No one ever let me do that before. He ... he was a good man, and I'll miss him."

she finished suddenly pulling up her cloak and using it to dry her eyes. She stepped back in a hurry hoping no one was starring at her as she softly sobbed into her cloak.

diplomancy i guess: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Opting to stay quiet, talking in front of large gatherings was never Malakos' strong suits.

"I think everything that could be said about such a great man has been said," He says looking to Miss Lorrimor.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Moved by Chellian's speech, Sisu takes her aside as soon as possible.

Chellian:

She speaks softly so that no one but Chellian can hear "Your description of the Professor both heartened and saddened me. No-one should have their curiosity ignored, as an inquisitive mind is a wonderful thing. If while we're here you have any questions I might be able to answer, please ask. It is sad you have only ever had one person allow you to seek knowledge and wish you to be able to continue now that the Professor is gone. It's the least I can do to honor his memory."


The towns person sitting next to Sisu leans over and whispers "yes, after the telling of stories, a celebration of life, we adjourn to the families home. Oh shh Kendra is getting up to speak.

Wiping away her tears, Kendra looks to all who spoke, "Your kind words about my father are just what I needed to hear. so thank you all again for coming here and sharing your stories with us. Thank you Father Grimburrow for ceremony and everyone for coming." Turning to her father's friends she folds her hands and says "Please come back to our-I mean my house, where we will have refreshments and the reading of my father's will. He left clear instructions that it not be read until you all where here in town."

With your excellent story telling you have gained 2 more Trust points which puts us at a total of 23

At The Lorrimor Place:

The Lorrimor residence is a modest home with crowded bookshelves in every room. Kendra leads you into the sitting room for a drink and some baked goods. "The reading of my father's will is to be done by Councilman Vashian Heartmount, and he should be here in about an hour. Please make yourselves comfortable."


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

How did Petros die? What will happen to his current research now? I have so many questions for her, but perhaps I should wait until some time has passed. I wonder if she'll let me go through his library and view his research or if that's too much to ask...

Sisu wanders around the sitting room looking at all the bookshelves.
After building a small catalogue in her head and jotting down some notes, she tears herself away from the titles and sits comfortably to wait.


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Stepping inside the townhouse, So this is where the professor lived? What a quaint home, I doubt he spent much time here. . .or the townsfolk would surely have liked him better,

Sitting down inside on one of the couches, Malakos absentmindedly pulls out a stick of cinnamon and begins to chew on it. "This is a lovely home Miss Lorrimor, did your father spend much time here in between his adventures?"


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

Rahela will just sit quietly, drinking some tea and sharing an occasional morsel with her songbird. She listens in to the conversations but doesn't join unless prompted. She'd like to know more about these strange, strange people and just observing seems the best way right now


The councilman arrives an hour later and it is clear from the look on his face that he does not trust outsiders in 'his' town. He doesn't comment on this and keeps this visit professional. He pulls out a scroll case, and shows all in attendance that the Professor’s personal seal is intact and unbroken, he proceeds to break it and open the case. As he opens the case a small iron key falls out and clangs onto the table. Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read, eager to be done with the business and to get back home.

Petros Will also on the maps link up above:
“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.
“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.
“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.
“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.
“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.
“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year 3418.”

After reading the will the Councilman looks at Kendra and bows slightly and she thanks him for coming. After he leaves she turns back towards you all. "Thank you all again for being here it seems my father has much more in store for you. I do think that I will need a few weeks to get his affairs in order and to decide if i want to stay here or sell the home and return to Lepidstadt. In the meantime this home is spacious enough for you all to stay here, with free room and board of course as my father would like to to stay for the next month. Give me a moment I think I saw the chest he mentioned in his study the other day.” She leaves the room to go and fetch the chest.

She comes back with a relatively small chest of oak and iron. She seems nervous about it and sets it down on the table next to the key. "Seeing as how my father wanted this for you all would one of you like the honor of opening the chest?"


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

At the mention of "valuable but dangerous tomes" Sisu's sat up straighter and her eyes lit up. She almost seems more excited about the books and a trip to the University than she is about the payment.

"Miss Kendra, I am more than happy to stay as he has requested, and provide any assistance you need during the next month. I am quite excited to see these books that he has entrusted to our safekeeping and would greatly like to open this chest now if no one objects"


HP 21/21 | Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +7 AC 15 | Init +4 | Per +4 Female Duskwalker Shaman 3

"I can't help but feel a little unworthy of his good opinion of me. I really didn't do anything to deserve it. But 100 platinum pieces can do a LOT to help my village so I'll certainly stick around and help escort the books to the university"

Don't worry, I don't think it will be at all hard to draw Rahela into things once the adventure proper starts. But at the moment her link with the professor is sufficiently weak that she's basically just in it for the money :-).

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

"What an amazing request! I'm so honored to have been asked! It seems fitting that after having met the Professor in a library to be asked to assist in returning valuable books. The Professor showed me such kindness in sponsoring my trip home from Absalom. I never thought that I was owed anything - that my music distracted would be marauders barely seems reason for such an honor. I will gladly execute the Professor's last wishes," Niralzi says with a smile, bowing to Kendra.

Looking toward Sisu, "I too am certainly curious to see the tomes. With Miss Kendra's permission, I suggest we open the chest to be well informed of our charge."


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

His eyes light up with a small smoldering fire, what amazing books he must have locked in that trunk, this is such a large request, I can't believe the professor would think to ask this of me

Looking to the others, "It might be better to leave the chest unopened, his will mentioned they contained great evil, I mean. . .I'd just be worried about what the chest might contain,"

He holds the key out to the others, curious as to what is in the chest but worried about it might hold.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

Sisu glances at Malakos. "Miss Kendra has already offered to let us open it, and the will itself doesn't say exactly who at Lepidstadt they need to go to. I think we need to open the chest in hopes that there are further directions inside."

She reaches out, takes the key from him, and quickly opens the chest.


The key was a perfect fit and the chest opens easily. Within the chest are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest one sits on top and bears the phrase "Read me now!” etched into the leather cover. Upon further inspection of it you realize that this is the Professor’s journal.

The other four are the tomes of dangerous lore mentioned in his will. And by the looks of it three of them have notes tucked into them saying that they need to be delivered to a Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University. The fourth book has a rich purple cover which contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center the cover is also rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole appears to be for a key with a strange triangular shaft. The key is nowhere to be found as you empty the chest of the 5 books. The title reads Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye. This book also has a note indicating it should be delivered to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepidstadt Courthouse and that the delivery of this book needs to be handled discreetly at his home address (which is listed on the note as well)

the book that is locked can be opened with a DC30 disable device check or the lock can be destroyed with a DC 23 strength check, however that option damages the book.

The other 3 books are entitled:
On Verified Madness-a jet black book which seems to be a treatise on aberrations and other entities on Golarion with ties no matter how remote to the Dark Tapestry.
Serving Your Hunger-This text is liberally sprinkled with the Professors notations in all margins and empty spaces. This seems to be a copy of a unholy book of the goddess Urgathoa.
The Umbral Leaves- is the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon translated into Common.


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

"Well, at least we now know who these books need to go to next month. I'd like to flip through them and see what they are about, and try and get at that one with the lock eventually, to see what is so intriguing that it requires a book to be secured that way. Before we even discuss that however, we should probably honor Petros's wish and read through this journal now."

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

Niralzi steps up to look closely at the Manual of the Order of the Palatine -

Knowledge arcana, Order of the Palatine: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

"The symbol on this locked book looks familiar... These books are all intriguing. I agree with Sisu that the journal is the most pressing to review."


True Neutral Female Tiefling Investigator (Empiricist) 3 | HP 22/25 | AC 14 (T11/FF13) | Init +1 | Perc +9 | Speed 30' | CMB +5 | CMD 16 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | extracts created: None | extracts slots remaining: 2/4 | Inspiration: 4/4 | Active Conditions: None

By the way, about what time of day is it? With this much potential for RP and skill checks I need to have an idea of where we are on the day vs rest cycle before I decide whether to use my last inspiration point or extract. I feel like it's late afternoon/evening but I'm not 100% sure.

"Almost everything here rings a bell for me too. After we open the journal and once we're done for the day I'm going to take some time to look them all over."

Unsure what roll might be for what book, so rolling one arcana and one history for all 4 books. Let me know if you need something specific.

Knowledge(arcana)+inspiration: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 7 + (5) = 18
Knowledge(history)+inspiration: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 7 + (2) = 15


Spells per day:1st1/4, 2nd 2/3 | Force Missiles 4/7/day| N Male Tiefling Evocationist 3 | HP: 20/20|AC:16 T:12(16 vs Ghost) FF:14,| CMD: 12 | Fort: +3, Refl: +3, Will: +4 | Init: +2, Speed 30ft

Looking to the group, "Well. . . Its probably locked for a reason, I wouldn't open it, could unleash some serious evil,"

Eying the box and the books, a bit of curiosity coming over him, "though, just a little peek into their contents probably wouldn't be too bad, the professor trusted us to guard these books, we should at least know what we are guarding,"


it is late afternoon at

Kendra comes back into the room with some more drinks and food. "You asked earlier how my father died, well like I said it was untimely and a shock to us all but his body was found up at Harrowstone, near a wall where a stone gargoyle fell and crushed his dace and neck." she stumbles on the last few words with a small sob. "That is why we had a closed coffin and straight profession, the clerics at the temple preserved him with gentle repose, but what I still don't know is why he was but there anyways..."

Sisu opens the journal and scattered through out it there are circled entries in red ink. It is almost as thought the Professor left a trial of bread crumbs for you to follow, but to where?

Circled Journal Entries

The handout for the circled journal entries is on the maps link at the top of the page. I have shown the first 3 circled entries. At this point you guys can venture out into Ravengro and do research or talk with the locals. You can ask Kendra where the best place in town for research are or you can ask the locals but be wary they aren't too friendly to strangers.

Silver Crusade

Female Fletchling Bard(Silver Balladeer)3 | AC 15, T 13, FF 12 | HP 21/21 | F +2, R +6, W +1 | Init +6 | Perc +2 |

Bowing her head toward Kendra,

"Perhaps we may be able to offer some insight into your father's death. Do you know if he had friends here in Ravengro that we might visit?"

1 to 50 of 947 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Sarah's Carrion Crown Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.