DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Current Date 2 Abadius, 4719 AR


3,301 to 3,350 of 3,691 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>

The creature can see invisibility so that spell would have no effect, Shen.

The creature draws a bead on Theo and uses its four arms to fire two bows at the sorcerer! Two o the arrows thunk home.

Bows, Rapid Shot, DA: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 201d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 191d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 281d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 111d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 251d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Blur: 1d100 ⇒ 661d100 ⇒ 97
Damage: 1d6 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 141d6 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

Nime’s thunder blast hits it full force, rocking it back. Shen fails to disarm it.

Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

29 damage toTheo. Theo and Rudrik are up!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Rudrik brings his sword back and says, "You think you're so hot with six arms? I'll show ya what I can do with just two!" He rushes heedless into melee.

Only making a single attack b/c I presume that I must move first.

Bastard sword attack, negative level: 1d20 + 20 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 20 - 1 = 33
Bastard sword damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

"Oh bloody hell!" Theo cursed before retaliating with his tentacle spell, under the logic that it would be hard for him to use those weapons if he couldn't use his hands.

Black Tentacle Grapple: 1d20 + 12 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 5 = 22
Black Tentacle Damage on success: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska focuses her will and tries again.

Disarm: 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 12 + 6 = 28


Rudrik strikes the asura with his blade, though he doesn't hurt it very much. Theo's tentacles fail to grab a hold of the creature. Ignoring the tentacles, the asura shifts its aim to Rudrik and opens fire from point-blank range! Its first shot finds a gap in the half-orc's armor, sticking painfully into his neck! Fortunately, his armor holds strong against its other attacks.

Shortbows: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 351d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 241d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 291d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 121d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 241d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Crit?: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33
Crit Damage: 3d6 + 36 - 3 ⇒ (4, 6, 3) + 36 - 3 = 46

Shenuska again fails to disarm the asura.

46 damage to Rudrik after DR. Everybody but Shen may act!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Reminder that a +3 weapon overcomes DR/cold iron or silver, in case it matters.

Rudrik coughs as the asura hits him hard, but keeps swinging his sword. The only way out is through.

1. Bastard sword attack, negative level: 1d20 + 20 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 20 - 1 = 22
2. Bastard sword iterative attack, negative level: 1d20 + 15 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 15 - 1 = 25
3. Bastard sword third iterative attack, negative level: 1d20 + 10 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 10 - 1 = 11

Wiff wiff wiff.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Sword test roll: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Sword test roll: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Sword test roll: 1d20 ⇒ 8

So let's just assume that the asura kills Rudrik while he continues to miss with every attack.


At least Tanjona is rolling well so far!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Wait 'til a clutch moment when it really matters, like... a save versus petrification or two. Or a save vs. fear (in a Rise of the Runelords game; natural 1, maximum duration, left the party to hang, came back and then missed five attacks in a row, nothing above 10). Or a save vs. poison (failed five in a row in a Kingmaker game with a cleric that had a good Constitution, cloak of resistance, and a racial bonus to saves, and died from Constitution damage). Or anything else that's critical, really.

It's just my usual bad luck.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nah. Rudrik just needs someone to believe in him. :)

"I have faith in you," Nime whispers to the half-orc as she touches him with a warm hand.

heal for 120 hp.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Frustrated at the tentacles' failure to restrain him, he shifted tactics to try and take some of his weapons out of the equation.

So Burning Disarm is only vulnerable to spell resistance if the item it's targeting has SR but I don't know if that's the case for this guy's weapons or not. Either way; DC19 Reflex to drop the weapon and take no damage. If he doesn't want to drop it then he'll take the full damage.
Burning Disarm: 5d4 + 5 ⇒ (2, 3, 4, 3, 3) + 5 = 20


The asura dodges Rudrik's attacks, but Theodric's spell burns the fiend. It doesn't try to drop its weapon, taking the hit, trusting its regeneration to protect it. When Nime heals Rudrik, the fiend sighs in frustration and shifts tactics to take out the healer first. Four arrows do the trick, so it fires its last two shots into Theo.

Bows: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 291d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 221d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 181d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 251d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 211d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 1001d100 ⇒ 66
Damage vs Nime: 1d6 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 151d6 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 151d6 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 181d6 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Damage vs Theo: 1d6 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 161d6 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

66 damage to Nime, 31 damage to Theo. Rudrik may take an AoO. Everybody may act!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

AoO, negative level: 1d20 + 20 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 20 - 1 = 36
Bastard sword damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Rudrik's pained grunt becomes a roar as Nime collapses under a barrage of arrows, and he redoubles his attacks.

1. Bastard sword attack, negative level: 1d20 + 20 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 20 - 1 = 39
2. Bastard sword second iterative attack, negative level: 1d20 + 15 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 15 - 1 = 22
3. Bastard sword third iterative attack, negative level: 1d20 + 10 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 10 - 1 = 12

1. Bastard sword confirm crit, negative level: 1d20 + 20 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 20 - 1 = 31

Bastard sword damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Bastard sword crit damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Rudrik, are you allowing for Heroism? +2 on all your attack rolls. Also, why has no-one cast Haste? [Looking at you Theo!]

Shenuska curses quietly and twitches the timestream, giving her companions a tiny extra edge of speed.

Haste.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Did not know about the heroism, not that it makes much difference with most of those rolls. Will keep in mind.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Ah piss, knew I forgot something!

Annoyed at the creature ignoring his spell and shooting him, and then kicking himself as he felt Shen's temporal acceleration kick in, Theo figured some consistent damage was better than nothing.

Burning Disarm: 5d4 + 5 ⇒ (4, 1, 3, 4, 3) + 5 = 20


Hasted Attack: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (7) + 20 = 27
Damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

With the extra surge of speed, Rudrik slices into the asura several times. Bleeding heavily, it raises its bows, only to get burned by Theo's magic again! The fiend groans and falls to the floor, allowing Rudrik to hack it to bits to ensure it won't get back up.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Rudrik's sword comes up, then wavers - then he turns and says, "Someone do something for Nime!"


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska roots through Nime's bag with swift efficiency and produces a wand. "Theo!" She snaps, pointing the wand at him. "Get to it!"


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

"I don't think any of us know how to use that," says Rudrik. "Does someone have a healing potion?"

He tosses his enchanted sword to one side and kneels down to delicately scoop Nime up and hold her. Not a great move medically speaking, but he doesn't exactly have a sterling education in the healing arts. "Come on, there's got to be something we can do for her!"


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Grabbing the healing wand before Shen had even finished talking, Theo placed it on Nime's skin and tried to activate it.

UMD: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (14) + 18 = 32
Don't know what level the wand is so I'll let Brainiac roll the healing.


Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

The healing magic stabilizes Nime and restores her to consciousness. Afterwards, it's a relatively simple matter to remove the blue tail rod from the peacock shrine, which allows you to destroy it and remove the protections it grants from the temple's inhabitants.

This guard station would make a good place to rest, should you desire.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

"We should stop here for now." Shenuska suggests. "That way we can defend the shrine if need be and Nime can recover."

Anything good from the asura we killed?


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Rudrik helps Nime back to her feet. "You scared me there for a second, Blue!" he says, feigning a goofy smile but actually quite concerned. "Thanks, Theo, that was clutch. Perfect save."

He taps his armored fingers together a few times, then awkwardly picks up his sword again. At Shenuska's suggestion he quickly sheathes it and says, "Yeah. That was... uh... not the best experience." Then he pulls the arrow out of the side of his neck with a wince.


The asura only has 2 +1 composite shortbows (+3 Str) and 2 mwk handaxes.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

"Well... if you need someone to blindly activate a wand while somewhat panicking, the chap who's had it drilled into him since he was a kid's probably your best bet." He seemed to slump and relax as he handed the wand back to whoever wanted it.

"Bloody hell; wasn't sure that'd work. Been years since I used a divine wand."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime's eyes flutter open and she smiles at the sight of Rudrik's concerned face. "Hello, Rudrik. Why the long face? Did I say something thoughtless again?" she asks. The smile turns to a grimace as she attempts to stand. "Ow, that doesn't feel pleasant at all," she says and then looks down to her arrow wounds. "Oh, yes. I remember now. I guess this is my payback for resorting to violence."

When Theo hands her the wand, she seems surprised. "I have a wand just like that one in my ... oh, that's it. Thank you, Theo."

"Yes, a rest would be very welcome right now. A rest with no sex, in fact. I'm very tired." She looks back at the half-orc. "Rudrik, may I sit next to you?"

Nime's got enough healing to return everyone to full HP.


You recover from the brutal battles you had today, resting overnight in the now empty guard post. The next morning, after making your preparations, you head north to the other building you spotted earlier.

This imposing building is built into a narrow pass that separates the southern valley from the larger portion to the north. A twenty-foot-wide gate appearing to be made of closely set golden bars blocks passage upriver here. Each bar is decorated with images of peacocks and twisting runes, and while the bars are set in a grid-shaped pattern affording barely enough room to reach an arm through the gaps, the river flows easily through the barrier. Two bridges cross the river, connecting both halves of the building.

“Oy! Up here!” A gravelly voice calls down from an arrow slit in the western side of the southern bridge. “Look, we ain’t supposed to let yas in, but maybe if yas do us a favor, we could, like, open up the gate and look the otha way.” The proposition is followed by a thick snort.

The perceptive among you spot a pair of beady eyes peering through the arrow slit.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

"And what kind of favor would you ask that we would grant, considering that we haven't even met?" Nime asks innocently. "I'll do anything for my friends. Many things for people that I know. Some things for strangers. But for someone that I haven't even see face to face, there's not much I can do."


“Those potion-sniffing hobgoblin bastards across the way took some of our treasure—a pair a’ fancy armbands—and if yas can get it back for us, well, that would be a real bucket o’ slop.” The speaker’s hearty laugh devolves into further snorts. “Come on up. Yas right, we needs ta talk face-ta-face.”

The door opens, and you can see a humanoid hybrid of man and boar waving you in.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30

"Yes, face-to-face is much better in everything," Nime says with a nod. With a few quick words, she places an enchantment upon herself. She's not entirely naive.

sanctuary - DC 20 Will save to attack her. Should last about two minutes.

"Shall we?" she says to the others before walking towards the door.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Chatting with Nime, earlier:
"Yeah, of course, have a seat," says Rudrik. He doffs his helmet and rummages around in his pack to take out his bedroll. "Lean against this. Way more comfortable than this adamantine armor."

"Y'know, Blue, I was pretty scared we were gonna lose you for a minute there," he adds. "Thank the powers-that-be, or the forces of good, or whatever, but most of all thank Theo that he was able to get your wand to work. I don't want something like that to ever happen again."

Musing for a moment, the half-orc asks, "So... what is your relationship with the gods, speaking of? D'you think there would be some angel on the other side waiting to usher you into the presence of Pharasma and then off to... I dunno where?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fully armored again, Rudrik raises his visor and squints at the beast-men, wondering if they might be distant relatives.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska stays back, her nose is nearly as keen as her eyes and both are revolted by the boar-man. Then Nime walks right in, trusting as always... so she rolls her eyes and follows.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Earlier ...

Rudrik:
"I'm sorry I gave you a fright," Nime replies, pressing closer to the large man. One long arm stretches out across his armor-clad chest as she rests her head against the bedroll that she's laid across him.

"I've never been one to philosophize. I know my role is to hear Shelyn's whispers on the wind and interpret them for others. She's never said what my destiny is. And for the most part, I don't feel a great need to know it. I know that She resides in Nirvana so that when I'm finally judged, that's where I'll spend the rest of this eternity."

She looks up at him with a bittersweet smile.

"I hope that I'll find you there when I arrive. You won't forget about me, right?"
~~~~~


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Earlier with Nime:
"Never!" says Rudrik enthusiastically. With a lopsided grin he notes, "One thing you definitely have down, Nime, is that you're hard to forget."

He lets his gaze wander around as he hold on to her shoulder and says, "We all just get stuck trying to make sense of a crazy world and, well, we have to take the good where and when we can get it. You're a good part of this world, Nime, so I hope you stick around for a while longer."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Earlier ...

Rudrik:
"Thank you, Rudrik," Nime says with a grin. It shifts in a moment to concern. "Unless that's unforgettable as in 'dear gods, don't let them come back to this tavern because we never want to see them darken our door again,'" she says in a mock-stern voice. She laughs lightly. On impulse she shifts and kisses the half-orc on the cheek.

Realizing what she did, the undine closes her eyes in pain. "I'm sorry, I hope that was ok?" Not wanting to see his face, she puts her head back down on his chest. "If you want me to leave you alone, I'll understand."


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Earlier with Nime:
"It's fine, Nime. We had our ups and our downs and our ups again. It's not being around you that's bad. It's being away that hurts."

"I dunno if Shelyn will let in an ugly ol' junk-collector like me, but if she don't, I'll be knockin' on the doors of Elysium for a long, long time."


As you move to follow the wereboar, a smooth, silky voice whispers from nowhere. ”What my crass, filthy neighbor fails to tell you, of course, is that they purloined something of ours first—a mighty crown. We simply retaliated in kind, holding their item ransom until they return ours. If you wish to deal with someone more sophisticated and less likely to infest you with fleas, then instead come to the east to speak to me about a potential arrangement that may well benefit us both.”

The door on the opposite side of the river opens, and you can see a hobgoblin inside gesturing for you to enter.

The wereboar snorts angrily. ”Oy! Back off, yas bastards! They’s already made up their minds!”


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Earlier ...

Rudrik:
The undine looks up at Rudrik with a gaze of affection. "I've been listening to the goddess of art, beauty, and love for almost seventy years now. While there is much of her wisdom that I have yet to understand, I do know how to see beauty," she says. One hand reaches up and cups the side of his face. "You are many things, Rudrik Halvar, but ugly is not one of them." Her face moves closer, but then she pulls away and puts her head down again. "Now listen to your elder and go to sleep."
~~~~~

"Ah," Nime says with a nod. "Then the solution is simple." She turns to the wereboar. "You give me the crown. They'll give me the armbands and I'll give each of you back your treasures. Problem solved."

Her open and innocent eyes look back and forth between the two seeming enemies.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (16) + 31 = 47


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Earlier with Nime:
"Yes ma'am." Rudrik goes through the lengthy ritual of removing his adamantine armor and stacking it all neatly nearby before he flops exhausted onto his bedroll and is quickly asleep, softly snoring.

Being dead tired and dead tired is great for falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Way better than the violent alternative!" says Rudrik with a grin.


The wereboar snorts. "Nuh uh! We ain't giving anything to them potion suckers! Yas try to take it from us, we'll rip yas apart!"

"Typical foolish belligerence," the whispered voice says--noticeably not coming from the hobgoblin that you can see. "If you recover the crown those lycanthropes stole, I will give you their bracers as payment in addition to allowing you to pass through this garrison unmolested. Do we have an accord?"


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Earlier ...

Rudrik:
Nime spends the rest of the night with her warm figure pressed up against Rudrik's side - one arm wrapped protectively over his chest.
~~~~~~

"This is becoming tiresome," Nime mutters with a frown. "Are you so entrenched in your distrust that you're incapable of seeing reason? Fine. We talked to this fellow first," she says, indicating the wereboar. "So we'll honor our agreement with them first." She turns to the lycanthrope. "If you choose to not honor your part of the agreement after we do our part, however, I will be most put out."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (3) + 28 = 31


Female Psychic 14 HP: 100/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 5/6, 6: 5/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 5/5, Purge: 7/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Watching Nime take charge is amusing, so Shenuska stands casually on the bridge smirking at all and sundry. It probably isn't intention but she is the image of a Runelord - laughing at a private joke and looking down at lesser mortals as they argue among themselves.


”You have made a poor choice. We will not surrender the bracers willingly,” the voice whispers. The hobgoblin closes the door, causing the wereboar to laugh. ”Har har! Yas got ‘em running scared! Come on, then, and I’ll take yas to talk to da boss!”


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime turns to the others with her arms crossed over her chest. "Is it just me or is a great percentage of the world entirely irrational?" she asks.

She shakes her head in annoyance and then with a steady tap-tap-tap of the butt of her weapon on the ground, she follows the wereboar through the doorway.


Scraps of half-eaten food, gnawed bones, empty sacks, and pieces of broken crockery litter the floor of this once-elegant room. The stench here is nearly unbearable, and mold creeps up the yellow-papered walls and gilded furniture.

The wereboar leads you through another room that contains a few chairs, a makeshift weapons rack, and a humanoid-shaped dummy wearing a golden crown--perhaps the same crown the hobgoblins are trying to get back. The room past this one contains four sets of bunk beds pushed against the walls, their mattresses and linens torn and filthy.

Six other wereboars are here. Five look on as their leader, a tall and lanky female, steps forward to greet you. "Yas made the right choice agreeing to help us. Name's Karrigan. Yas look like yas pretty tough. Good enough to take back our magic armbands from them potion suckers to the east. Now, go on and get 'em, and don't drag yas feet! If yas take too long, we's just as happy to rip yas up and prepare yas for a feast tonight!"

The other wereboars squeal and grunt in agreement, eyeing you hungrily.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

"We will venture out to retrieve your arm bands as that's what we agreed to do," Nime says. "But your threat to eat us carries no weight," she continues. "You clearly are weaker and afraid of the hobgoblins or you would do this task yourselves. If we defeat them then that demonstrates that we're stronger than they are. And by extension, we're stronger than you and you know it."

She looks over the the other wereboars and her blue hair shifts in wind that seems to center upon her.

"We will fulfill our end of the agreement and then you will fulfill yours. Because if you attempt to cheat us, the winds of my anger will rip the flesh from your bones. Are we clear?"


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 129/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Rudrik stands next to Nime with his arms crossed, and jerks one thumb at her as she makes her prononucement. The implication is pretty clear: If they don't believe the lady, they can always tangle with the armored behemoth.


Karrigan snorts. ”Yeah, got it. Now go on, then. Git!”


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 73/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 4/6, 7th 4/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime looks around first one way and then the other. One hand reaches up and she touches her lip with an unsure finger.

"Um ... could you give us directions on how to get there?" she asks in a meek voice. "I don't quite remember which way we ... uh ... came in. Sorry."

3,301 to 3,350 of 3,691 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.