DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Current Date 2 Abadius, 4719 AR


3,251 to 3,300 of 3,728 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

Indeed, the air is still as you make your way into the valley. After several minutes, you reach a wide river that flows from north to south. To the south, you can see a pair of octagonal stone guard towers with conical roofs attached to a smaller building at the river's edge. To the north, a much larger and more imposing building is built into a narrow pass.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska identifies the metamagic rod with little more than a glance and offers it to Nime. "Healing someone from a distance might be useful sometime." She offers, before falling into stride with the undine. She walks down the hill as though she owns the place, and there is nothing to suggest that she isn't Sorshen, Runelord and Mistress of all she surveys. It's been happening more and more since the festival in Korvosa.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Theo had helped Rudrik to his feet and patted him on the back. "Don't worry mate, I'll see if I can get you some wine from the family cellar when we get the chance, should perk you right up."

As they proceeded through the valley, Theo noticed how Shenuska was carrying herself. Ah; she's in 'Sorshen Mode' again. I recognise that hip sway.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska glances back and catches Theo's eyes, and where they were directed a moment before. She gives him a devastating smile and walks on, hips swaying just a little more than they did before.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

"Thanks Theo," says Rudrik with a grin before he lowers his visor once more. "You all take good care of me. I'm lucky to have such friends."


As you approach the small guard post that spans the river, you can see arrows being fired from within towards vaguely humanoid targets made of wood and clumps of dried grass that have been placed on the river banks about 80 feet away. Shenuska's superior eyesight allows her to determine that each tower contains one medusa archer. Wrapped up in their target practice, they haven't noticed you yet.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

"Archer in each tower." Shenuska reports. "We should split up and take them both at once. I can help you fly Rudrik. If we're quick enough then we can get them before they can stare too much."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Rudrik has boots of flying now. I'm pretty sure we can all fly. :)

"I don't like splitting up, but if that's what you think is best," Nime says with a frown. "Rudrik and I will take the one on the right. No one turn to stone now, ok?" She begins rising into the air.

As soon as we're ready to attack, Nime will cast sirocco on her and Rudrik's target.

Sirocco: 4d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 1, 6, 2) + 12 = 27 fire damage

DC 25 Fortitude save for half damage or be knocked prone.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska winks at Theo and rises into the air without a sound or word. When she can see that Theo is ready she counts down on one hand and lashes out with telekinesis.

Telekinetic Maneuver.

Grapple: 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 12 + 6 = 25


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

"So, uh, how do I keep from getting stoned this time?" asks Rudrik. "I still feel a little queasy."

Reminder that due to breath of life I currently have a negative level. I would prefer not to stack these with subsequent deaths. :)


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Granting himself flight as they approached, Theo backed up Shen's grapple attempt with something that he knew would lead to at least one sly remark from the psychic.

Black Tentacles, trying to catch all of the tower's occupants in it.

Grapple 1: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25
Grapple 2: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34

EDIT:
Grapple 1 damage, if successful: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Grapple 2 damage, if successful: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Initiative:
Nime: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Rudrik: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Shenuska: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Theodric: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Medusas: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

As Rudrik flies forward to the base of the guard towers, Theodric conjures a field of black tentacles that span the bridge and the interior of both towers. One cries out in surprise as the tentacles grab hold of her, but the other avoids being grappled. Shenuska's telekinesis isn't strong enough to grapple that medusa.

Fortitude: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 231d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

However, Nime's sirocco blasts her downward, the searing hot winds scorching and fatiguing both medusas.

The prone medusa stands up and staggers out of the tower, getting away from the tentacles and sirocco but out of cover as well. The grappled medusa tries to escape the tentacles' grasp but remains stuck!

CMB: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Everybody may act! Rudrik can reach the exposed medusa with a move action, though he'll have to deal with her gaze attack.

Enemy Status:
Medusa 1 -27, fatigued; Medusa 2 -23, grappled, fatigued


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Fort save, negative level: 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 9 - 1 = 9

Rudrik advances and is once again turned to stone.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska diverts and begins working on increasing Rudrik.

Break Enchantment. Going to keep new out of combat for a bit...


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Wanting to help Rudrik, but knowing that keeping at least one of the snake-headed creatures down is more important, Nime continues concentrating on the blast of super-heated air pummeling the prone medusa.

"Theo! One of them is escaping!" she calls out.

Sirocco: 4d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 3, 6, 1) + 12 = 28 fire damage

DC 25 Fortitude save for half damage or continue to be knocked prone.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Taking a page out of Shen's book, Theo reached out and tried to mentally force the fleeing Medusa to the ground.

Casting Telekinesis, using it to try and grapple the escapee.

Telekinetic Grapple: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26

I can't remember how grapples work between rounds - playing 2e's thrown me off a bit on that - do I need to make another CMB check for the tentacles' victims? Either way; they'll deal another 1d6+4 damage to the grappled medusae.


Yes, another CMB check for the tentacles.

Tentacles CMB: 1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 17 + 5 = 37
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Fortitude: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Theo fails to grab the escaped medusa with his telekinesis, but the tentacles continue to squeeze the other. Nime's sirocco scours her flesh and knocks her down, ensuring that it will be very difficult for her to escape.

The medusa outside the tower takes aim on Theo, firing several arrows at him. The one in the tentacles tries to escape, to no avail.

Longbow, Fatigued, FE: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 311d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 351d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 291d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 81d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 101d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
CMB, Exhausted: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

29 damage to Theo. Everybody may act!

Enemy Status:
Medusa 1 -27, fatigued; Medusa 2 -50, grappled, prone, exhausted


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Hovering in the air and slowly shifting to keep room between herself and her friends, Nime continues concentrating on her spell.

Sirocco: 4d6 + 12 ⇒ (1, 3, 4, 5) + 12 = 25 fire damage

DC 25 Fortitude save for half damage or continue to be knocked prone.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Frustrated at his telekinesis failing, Theo decided to stop being fancy and levelled his metamagic rod at the free medusa.

Empowered Fireball damage, DC21: 11d6 + 11 ⇒ (2, 2, 2, 5, 3, 3, 6, 5, 4, 2, 2) + 11 = 47


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Forgot about the Black Tentacle rolls.
Tentacle CMB: 1d20 + 17 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 17 + 5 = 25
Tentacle damage if failed: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Reflex: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27
Fortitude: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

The first medusa throws herself forward, dodging the worst of the fireball's explosion. The tentacles loosen their grip on the other medusa, but the sirocco continues to batter her. While the first medusa fires on Theo again, scoring just one hit, the second one stands up and tries to stagger away from the tentacles and sirocco, but doesn't make it far enough to be out of their areas yet.

Longbow: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 191d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 251d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 191d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

5 damage to Theo. Everybody may act!

Enemy Status:
Medusa 1 -59, Medusa 2 -75


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime continues to glare at the two archers. Her will holding open the conduit that blasts the super-heated air down upon them.

Sirocco: 4d6 + 12 ⇒ (5, 3, 3, 6) + 12 = 29 fire damage to anyone still in the AoE

DC 25 Fortitude save for half damage or continue to be knocked prone.


CMB: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20
Empowered Fireball: 11d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 1, 2, 6, 1, 2, 1, 2, 6, 2) = 27
Total Damage: 27 + 13 + 11 = 51
Reflex: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
Fortitude: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Theo's tentacles fail to grab the medusa again, but Nime's sirocco knocks her down, and this time the monstrous woman does not get back up. Theo blasts the other medusa with another fireball that she dodges the worst of, though she is badly hurt still. She returns fire on the sorcerer, only managing to hit him with one arrow.

Longbow: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (4) + 16 = 201d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 341d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 161d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

5 damage to Theo. Everybody may act.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Cursing at the resilience of these medusae, and annoyed that his metamagic rod was expended, he shifted to a different spell on the burnt one.

Burning Arc damage, DC20 Reflex: 10d6 + 10 ⇒ (5, 2, 2, 2, 5, 1, 4, 1, 2, 4) + 10 = 38


Reflex: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

This time, the medusa is just a hair too slow to dodge Theodric's fiery blast. She falls, burned to a crisp!

Shenuska CL: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Rudrik Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Shenuska finishes her spell, restoring Rudrik to flesh. This time, the half-orc survives the traumatic process.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime lets the blast of super-heated air fade away and wipes at the tears on her face. She then turns and swoops down to check on Rudrik.

"You need to stop doing that!" she chastises as she wraps her long arms around the half-orc.

When she finally pulls away, she looks over at the bodies of the two archers. "We should lay them to rest," she says. "And maybe we should get some rest as well." She looks towards the tower.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

"Check the towers." Shenuska agrees. "Then we can rest there if need be. Should be defensible."

Unless there are objections she leads the way.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime follows, taking Rudrik's hand as she goes.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Theo headed towards the towers with the others, ready to manifest his claws in-case something was inside.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

Rudrik sheathes his sword, delicately takes Nime's hand, and proceeds as directed.

"Gettin' kinda tired of that, m'self," he jokes.


Neither tower holds anything of interest, so you head into the building proper. Unlit torches hang on the walls between six small prison cells and one larger one. Standing in the center of the room is a lithe, six-armed humanoid with tusks that curve from its chin. It carries a pair of bows and regards you emotionlessly. "Who are you and why have you come to the Temple of the Peacock Spirit?" it asks, its voice monotone, almost robotic.

Knowledge (planes) DC 22:
This fiend is an asura known as a japalisura. Japalisuras have a knack for extracting embarrassing truths from the universe, hatefully manipulating their prophecies as though they were independent or even in defiance of conventional soothsaying. Where magic fails, they are adept at reading humanoid emotions, making up attractive lies and pandering to biases to confirm their clients’ worst fears and prejudices.

Sense Motive DC 20:
This creature seems to be suffering from excruciating boredom. It seems to barely be interested in performing its duties, and might be easily deceived.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Knw Planes: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
SM: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (1) + 20 = 21

"We have come to gain knowledge of the greatness of the Peacock Spirit." Shenuska replies calmly. "I have long wished to know more of its power. We are all most curious."

Bluff: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 21 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 21 - 5 = 31

The creature narrows its eyes...

If somebody can assist Shenuska, the Bluff will be successful.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Bluff - Assist: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

"You can trust us," Nime says with wide eyes. "We're normally very honest people." She blinks innocently.


The creature shrugs its multiple shoulders. "Very well. Proceed to the temple." The bored fiend heads into an adjoining room and closes the door.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime turns to the others. "We are normally very honest," she says with a confused expression on her face.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

"And I am interested in the Peacock Spirit." Shenuska adds, smiling at the undine. Then a purple sheen crosses her eyes as she scans the room for traces of magic.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)

"Didn't seem to object," says Rudrik to Nime. "I guess it decided we're honest enough."


The large cell radiates strong abjuration magic. Shenuska deduces that if you had botched the ritual to teleport to the valley, you likely would have been redirected to this prison cell.

The fiend seems content to ignore you. You could probably rest here safely.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

"We could rest here at a pinch." Shenuska says quietly once she's ushered the group away, "If we have to retreat people are less likely to check here I'd imagine. Aside from the cell there's nothing here, we can move on."

With that decided, she leads the way onwards.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

Theo was happy to let the girls talk their way past the creature. As they moved further inward he cast a spell on himself to reinforce his body.

False Life: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

As Shenuska begins moving onwards, Nime stops next to Rudrik. "Are you ok to continue on? Or do you need to rest?" she asks in a whisper.


The room that the fiend went into contians walls adorned with the repeating image of a blue peacock feather with an open blue eye in the center. A single desk and chair adorn the room, a ring of keys being the only thing atop the desk. In the southwest corner, a statue of a peacock, its plumage glowing with all the colors of the rainbow, stands atop a pedestal.

From the research you performed, you know this is one of the peacock shrines that provide magical protections to all denizens of the Temple of the Peacock Spirit, Runelord Xanderghul included. Examining it closely, Shenuska determines that this shrine allows denizens to conjure and summon creatures without being barred by the dimensional lock that covers the valey. She also notes that the tail-feather rods can be removed with a bit of work. This would cause the ward to fade. But doing so might draw the ire of the six-armed fiend who now sits in the chair here, staring blankly ahead.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Retreating to a safe distance once again Shenuska waves the rest of the group in and speaks softly. [smaller]"One of the shrines is in there. We're going to have to fight this thing. I suggest we prepare well away from it and then hit it as suddenly and hard as we can."

She also relays what she knows of Japalisura and how they might be hurt. "They'll resist our spells and try to fight with their weapons as much of possible, so if we can prevent it getting hold of its sword then Rudrik will have a significant advantage. Invisibility is pointless and we'll need good aligned weapons if at all possible."

Edited to convey Brainiac's info.


Like most asuras, japalisuras are immune to curse effects, disease, and poison. They resist acid and electricity and have spell resistance. Good-aligned weapons and spells can overcome their defenses and stop them from regenerating. They can see invisible creatures, and their primary means of attack are their weapons.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 10 | 39/129 HP | AC 34 T 14 FF 30 | DR 5/- | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +7 (+10 vs. mind-affecting, +12 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +18 (+20 vs. traps)
Nime wrote:
As Shenuska begins moving onwards, Nime stops next to Rudrik. "Are you ok to continue on? Or do you need to rest?" she asks in a whisper.

Rudrik sighs heavily and says, "Think I'll be all right, just a little shaken up. Gonna take more than a nap and a sandwich to get my head on straight."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 14 | HP 43/73 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 50% miss for ranged | Fort +6 Ref +4 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +11 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 6/8/, 4th 2/8, 5th 7/8, 6th 3/6, 7th 3/4 | Invis 14/14, Fly 14/14, Gas 14/14, Thunder 2/2

Nime sighs and resigns herself to the fact that sometimes obstacles must be overcome with violence.

If no one comes up with an alternative plan ...

Once everyone has made their preparations, Nime instructs them all to step back from the creature. She holds her hands wide and then brings them together with a loud retort that seems to be centered on the guardian.

Thunderburst: 12d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 1, 5, 3, 3, 5, 1, 1, 6, 3, 4) = 43 sonic damage

Fortitude DC 24 save for half damage and to avoid being deafened for 1 hour. It's an Extraordinary ability so SR doesn't apply.


Female Psychic 14 HP: 36/100 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 6, CMD: 22 | F: +7, R: +5, W: +14 | Init: +3 | Perc +26, SM +22, Bluff/Dip +16, Splc +23, KnA +23, Knw D/P +20/21, Knw His +23 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/8, 2: 4/8, 3: 2/7, 4: 4/7, 5: 4/6, 6: 4/6, 7:1/3 DT 1/1, TB 0/1 | PPool 11/11, Push: 3/5, Purge: 4/7d8 | Active conditions: ExMA, TS, ST, Sh, GI, Dl, Hero+BE on C+R, Haste

Shenuska applies Heroism, Freedom of Movement and Greater Invisibility to Rudrik, and then opens the combat by attempting to snatch the creatures weapon away with her mind.

Telekinetic Maneuver, Disarm: 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 12 + 6 = 27


The asura notices the atmopshere changing as Nime begins to conjure thunder. With a snarl, it prepares to attack!

Initiative:
Nime: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12
Rudrik: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Shenuska: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Theodric: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Japalisura: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Theo's action will occur before the enemy acts.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 8 | HP 166/166 | AC 23 T 12 FF 22 | Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +9 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 | Sense Motive +0

With the asura apparently preferring melee, Theo's form blurred as he moved in.

Casting Blur.

3,251 to 3,300 of 3,728 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.