Winter is Coming

Game Master Patrick Curtin

Start of The Reign of Winter AP


701 to 750 of 1,596 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome
Sahsara wrote:

"I'll go look up there then, thank you for all the help" Sahsara gives

Ten Penny her best smile and heads up stairs with Gaelin to investigate.
[dice = perception] 1d20 + 5

Sahsara see Gaelin puzzling over the large maps of the woods. She sees nothing else, except a long table cluttered with dirty food dishes and half-empty wine cups


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

"What do you make of this?" Gaelin says as Sahsara enters. He does not look up or take his eye off the map. "This could mark the location of their lair. Hopefully the landmarks are clear enough to follow it."


female Sylph rogue 2

"That would be a spot of luck, but even if it's not a lair, anything of interest to the bandits is of interest to us." Sahsara thinks for a moment pulling at her ear. "how much is time a factor in your quest? Both finding that X and delivering the damsel will take time. And it would be safer to take care of the latter before preforming the former, but if we need to stop those fey from doing something quickly..." she trails off and shruggs her shoulders.


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin shrugs. "In truth, the quest - such as it is - was to rescue Lady Argentea. I, for one, am not content to leave it at that. Something foul is afoot and more innocent folk will fall prey to the dark forces at work here unless we do something. But, I know of no time constraint. We ought to return the Lady to town and re-provision ourselves for the journey ahead. This may take us deeper into darkness than we at first imagined."

He considers for a moment. "Of course, Sahsara, you are under no obligation to come back to these woods. We will need willing hands for this work, and not all who set out may return."


female Sylph rogue 2

"I just go where the wind blows me and currently it's blowing into these woods, anyway my scheduled opened up after being captured by bandits."
Sahsara goes back to studying the map and then adds "Plus, ya know, the innocent folk and the dark forces and that stuff."
She switches to a, getting back to business tone and concludes with, "So how long a journey back to town?"


Male Oread Arctic Druid 2
Jeydavu of Hellirinn wrote:

While the others tend to the bandits, Lady Argentea, and search the building, Jeydavu goes back outside to tend to his moose. He looks for a safe place to stable his long time friend.

[dice=perception to look for threats and a stable]1d20+6

bump, not sure if you missed this on the previous page or that my perception roll was so pathetic it wasn't worth responding to. :0


Bribes always welcome

Oh no, I have been meaning to update, I've just been a bit tizzyed with a new job. I should be updating tonight


Bribes always welcome
Jeydavu of Hellirinn wrote:
Jeydavu of Hellirinn wrote:

While the others tend to the bandits, Lady Argentea, and search the building, Jeydavu goes back outside to tend to his moose. He looks for a safe place to stable his long time friend.

[dice=perception to look for threats and a stable]1d20+6

bump, not sure if you missed this on the previous page or that my perception roll was so pathetic it wasn't worth responding to. :0

Jeydavu finds his moose safe and placidly eating leaves off the frozen trees. He finds the lodge's stables easily enough, but sees no danger in the darkened snowy night.

The stables are roomy, and home to several horses. The temperature is low, but not freezing. The heat of the horses keeps the building comfortable.


Bribes always welcome
Gaelin Northvein wrote:

Gaelin shrugs. "In truth, the quest - such as it is - was to rescue Lady Argentea. I, for one, am not content to leave it at that. Something foul is afoot and more innocent folk will fall prey to the dark forces at work here unless we do something. But, I know of no time constraint. We ought to return the Lady to town and re-provision ourselves for the journey ahead. This may take us deeper into darkness than we at first imagined."

He considers for a moment. "Of course, Sahsara, you are under no obligation to come back to these woods. We will need willing hands for this work, and not all who set out may return."

The maps can be removed and taken if you wish


M Shadow's Status | Human Cleric 2 | HP 9/25 | Channels 1/8 | AC = 16 | F+4|R+3|W+4 | Per +6 |Init +4

Athromar nods to her, "Very well. I suppose all there is to do now is bring Lady Argentea back and war the village that this foul weather is, as if they did not know, unnatural phenomena".

Should we set watch and head back to Heldren the next day?


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin responds to Sahsara, "We came here in a day. We ought to be able to return in a day." He gathers up the maps and heads down to the common room with them.

When everyone has returned to the common room he says, "They had maps, so these will give us some idea of where to look for the ones the bandits were working with. I propose we return to the village tomorrow with Lady Argentea. I plan to reprovision and come back here as soon as possible to track down the rest, with whoever else will join me."

"There is the question of the sick bandits. Is there any way they can travel? I don't know that we can leave them here unattended."

"Also, this operation seems somewhat well established - these bandits don't seem to be new to their ways. And yet, we have found little in the way of stolen goods or provisions, apart from what was on Rokhar's person. We should conduct a thorough search of the lodge and its surroundings."

FYI - I have recorded Rokhar's stuff in my profile under group loot. We should try to identify what was here and see if it is useful to anyone.


F Human (Jadwiga) Winter witch 1

Ecaterina pipes up

"I don't think we'll be able to travel too fast in the cold with two sick men. Plus, they have the Nosplymirsk ... The, how you say? Snow sickness. If you travel with them in the cold it makes it much worse. I say leave them here with food and let the village send a party back to retrieve them in a few days."


Bribes always welcome

Lady Argentea sits at the main lodge tables. Ten Penny hauls out a bunch of cold meats and preserved vegetables from the kitchen. After, she begins dragging the corpses out onto the porch. I am assuming some of you will help. After a large meal, Lady Argentea makes a nest of pillows and blankets by the large fireplace and falls into a deep sleep

Ill get a description of the other rooms up soon. I'd like to have a watch roster for the evening


Male Oread Arctic Druid 2

After securing his moose in the stable, Jeydavu returns to the house. He assists in the search for clues.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

After the search, he helps Ten Penny remove the bodies. "Thank you for the dinner. It was a welcome break after the day's events"

After cleaning up the dishes, Jeydavu volunteers to take the first watch.


Male Half-elf Monk 1

Tristan assists in removing corpses from the lodge, keeping an eye out for any missed details in the process.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


female Sylph rogue 2

Sahsara helps with the bodies and offers to take second shift.


Bribes always welcome

As Gaelin searches the upstairs he opens a small door in the map room. It leads to a storeroom, bottles of ink, sheaves of paper, and boxes are stacked on shelves lining the small space. On the top shelf is an iron cage. Something within it gives off a glow like a flickering candle


M Shadow's Status | Human Cleric 2 | HP 9/25 | Channels 1/8 | AC = 16 | F+4|R+3|W+4 | Per +6 |Init +4

"I agree with Ecaterina, the sick bandits must remain here. The village can swoop in and arrest them as they will likely send some men to hold this house, at least I would recommend that they do so.

This may well be an important forward base for forays against our foes. Out in the snow with no place to fall back may be the ruin of our expedition".

Athromar yawns, "I am weary as I am sure the rest of you are as well. If you do not mind would get some rest and wake for the last sift of watch in the morning where I can pray for my spells".


Bribes always welcome

The bodies of the bandits yield 60 GP in miscellaneous coins. They each also have padded armor, a buckler, a short sword, a short now, and a quiver with 20 arrows.

Ten Penny leads the others into the room Rokhar used. There is a sturdy locked chest inside along with a large bed strewn with thick woolen blankets. The lock matches a key on the ring Rokhar carried.

Upon unlocking an assortment of loot is discovered

  • A gold ingot stamped with the Taldan Royal seal
  • A spyglass
  • A silver lady's ring
  • three small tiger eye gens
  • fine leather boots of a smallish make
  • A silver dagger
  • A leather portfolio containing a sheaf of parchment


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin seeks out Lady Argentea. "I believe we may have uncovered some of the bandits' stolen property. Was anything stolen from you when you were taken?"

He also looks over the parchment in the leather portfolio.


Bribes always welcome
Gaelin Northvein wrote:

Gaelin seeks out Lady Argentea. "I believe we may have uncovered some of the bandits' stolen property. Was anything stolen from you when you were taken?"

He also looks over the parchment in the leather portfolio.

Lady Argentea looks over the items

"The ring and I got were from my things. Please keep the ingot with my thanks, it was just traveling money. The ring has a bit of sentimental value to me"

Dont forget that upstairs room too


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Oh. I thought that's where we found this stuff. I didn't realize that was separate.

Was there anything revealing on the parchment?

Gaelin checks out the storeroom. He carefully examines the box to make sure it is safe to open.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Assuming he finds nothing amiss, he looks inside.


Bribes always welcome
Gaelin Northvein wrote:

Gaelin seeks out Lady Argentea. "I believe we may have uncovered some of the bandits' stolen property. Was anything stolen from you when you were taken?"

He also looks over the parchment in the leather portfolio.

The portfolio has several deeds, the Sentinel's royal patent , and some papers covered in cabilistic symbols Spells


Bribes always welcome
Gaelin Northvein wrote:

Oh. I thought that's where we found this stuff. I didn't realize that was separate.

Was there anything revealing on the parchment?

Gaelin checks out the storeroom. He carefully examines the box to make sure it is safe to open.

[dice=Perception]1d20+4

Assuming he finds nothing amiss, he looks inside.

Inside the iron cage is a small blue fey, much like the ones the group had fought in the woods. It shrieks

"RELEASE ME!!! In an outraged squeaky vouce


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin jumps when the thing cries out. He is uncharacteristically startled by finding this captured fey. Recovering himself, he peers more closely at the cage's occupant. "Identify yourself," he says brusquely.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 He is primarily concerned to make sure the fey is securely captive an does not pose a danger, but is also looking for anything else about it that may be of interest. As an aside, how big is the fey?


Bribes always welcome

Gaelin gingerly grabs the cage and brings it down to the floor. The cage is solid. It seems to be made of iron. The blue fey is less than a foot tall. It's body is engulfed in a flickering glow

"My name is Vrixx!"

"Human! Let me free! I beg of you!"


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

"The last time I encountered one of your kind, it tried to kill me, so understand if my hospitality is somewhat lacking," Gaelin says.

He calls for the others, should they be within earshot. "Athromar, Sahsara, Jeydavu... I have found something here that is... unexpected."


Bribes always welcome

The blue sprite's glow flares

"Release me! I can make sure you are allowed to leave freely!"


female Sylph rogue 2

Sahsara runs upstairs as soon as she hears the screaming. She stops dead upon seeing the fey and stairs blankly for a second. "Yup I didn't see that coming though if it's locked up it probably wasn't their friend."


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin looks warily at the creature. "All right, Vrixx. Tell me why I should believe you. How did you come to be caged by the bandits? How can you aid us? The last time we encountered some of your kind, they tried to kill us. And you are certainly not native to these woods."


Bribes always welcome

Vrixx vibrates angrily, like a trapped wasp, his wings beating furiously

"That traitor Rokhar imprisoned me! We were allies! He kept me hidden to use as a hostage should he need one. He said he didn't trust us!"

Vrixx touches the bars then retracts his small hand, hissing

"I can tell my friends to leave you alone. I am a chieftain of my tribe. We are not native, we came with the cold, and we shall return with it too"


Male Half-elf Monk 1

Tristan enters the room after the others, just as Vrixx recoils from the bars of the cage.

"A cold iron prison...a cruel mistreatment for one of your kind." Turning to the others, he says, "I am inclined to take his word. Particularly if he can explain what he meant by 'returning with the cold.'" Turning back to the creature, he continues, "Is there something you can tell us about this phenomenon?" As he speaks, he looks around for a way to open the cage.


Bribes always welcome

The cage has a padlocked door. Rokhar's key ring has the key

Vrixx shrugs at Tristan's question

"The cold comes from a breach between your land and ours. I assume it will close and suck us all back. But I cannot be sure if that."


Male Half-elf Monk 1

"Well. I hope not to be nearby when that happens."

Tristan is ready to release Vrixx, if the rest of the party is in agreement?


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin rather conspicuously adjusts the cold iron longsword on his belt. He addresses Vrixx. "Do not give us cause to regret this." He nods to Tristan.

As Tristan begins to unlatch the cage, Gaelin asks, "You called Rokhar a traitor. What was the nature of your deal with him, which he presumably betrayed?"


female Sylph rogue 2

Sahsara is in agreement


Bribes always welcome

Vrixx emerges from the cage, buzzing gleefully

"Rokhar promised to help us if we helped him rob travelers. He then captured me while I was visiting him. He betrayed us, and is a traitor in my eyes, a backstabbing no-good human"

Vrixx points to one of the large picture windows. There is a clever window crank to allow it to open. Although it looks frost-covered it should work.

"Open that window for me and I shall go and tell my kin to let you leave the forest in peace "


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin approaches the window, then pauses. "Do you know where the breach is, and what is causing it? Is there a way to close it?"


Bribes always welcome

The small fey buzzes louder, flying agitatedly through the room

"I have no idea, human! Why do you pester me with these questions? Just open the window!"


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 18

As long as Gaelin does not feel he is being lied to with that answer, he opens the window.

With some reluctance, Gaelin cranks the window open. Time will tell if this creature means what it says, he thinks to himself.


Bribes always welcome

The small irascible faerie is hard to read. He talks very contemptuously towards Gaelin, which sets his teeth on edge, but he also is not being overly friendly and unctuous, which would be suspicious. All Gaelin can remember is his grandmother's tales of the capricious and cruel nature of Irrisen's fey. Trusting one seems like a stretch

In game terms Gaelin doesn't really have a hunch on his truthfulness, but I'll let you decide if you want to open the window or not


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

I will open it, as posted.

Also, Gaelin was an orphan, so his grandmother didn't tell him anything ;) Somebody else has somewhere along the way, no doubt.


Bribes always welcome
Gaelin Northvein wrote:

I will open it, as posted.

Also, Gaelin was an orphan, so his grandmother didn't tell him anything ;) Somebody else has somewhere along the way, no doubt.

Oops! Disregard that :O

Gaelin opens the window. As soon as the gap is wide enough the blue sprite zooms out without another word or backward glance and is quickly lost in the snowy darkness.

The wind rapidly chills the room and Gaelin shivers


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

With a grimace, Gaelin promptly closes the window once again to shut out the chill. "I don't trust it," he says to his companions. "But it is worth taking the chance that the fey creature's release does prompt them to return to wherever they came from."

"We should rest for the night. If we are to return the Lady Argentea tomorrow, it may be a difficult journey."


female Sylph rogue 2

"Its better to err on the side of not torturing the poor creature also. Good night everyone, hopefully this will all be over tomorrow."


Bribes always welcome

The party sets up camp by the main hearth in the trophy room. The fire is warmest there, and a haphazardly-stacked pile of logs ensures that it can be maintained for the night. Lady Argentea sleeps deeply in a pile of blankets, insensate to the party's movements. Jeydavu sets up to watch the door as the others rest.

1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Half-elf Monk 1

Tristan lets Jeydavu know to wake him for the second watch before settling in for a much-needed rest.


Male Human (Ulfen) Urban Barbarian 2 [HP 36/36; AC 17]

Gaelin, too, offers to take a turn at the watch before settling down to rest.


female Sylph rogue 2

Sahsara will take the last watch then


Bribes always welcome

1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

The party settles down, and start to take watches, feeding the fire as needed to keep the room warm.

The wind outside howls, and the roof rattles with every icy blast. Despite the fire's warmth, the large room is chilly. The lodge, though stoutly built, was never made to conserve heat.

Sahsara has taken the final watch a few hours before dawn. She suddenly hears a window shattering. It comes from the upstairs map room

701 to 750 of 1,596 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Winter is Coming All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.