Wardove's Side-Treks

Game Master Laithoron


201 to 250 of 1,844 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The mayor once again speaks to the townsfolk. "I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen’s footsteps to retrieve the holy flame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire. With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

Ret-Con: You guys have 5 days to return, not 3. I misread the distances on the map.

Once all of you have puzzled together the pieces of your map, you see the following...

MAP: Trail Map


Knowledge Geography 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Looking at the map and landmarks, Alis says, "Hmm, looks like it's about 40 miles south of here. Well, I guess we'd better get going. Does everyone have all they'll need on them and everything else secured inside the tavern?"

If anyone needs to do anything around town: shop, gather information, drop excess gear off in your room, etc. then now's your last chance for the next few days. FYI, I don't keep track of basic ammunition. Think of it like Tomb Raider where you always have unlimited ammo for your basic weapon and only track special ammo. ;)


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Morgaard looks though the contents of his pack, organizing it for better functionality on the road. He secure his bow and quiver to the pack; then gestures toward the south:

"I'm good as I ever be. Shall we?"


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Priyya carefully wraps the lantern and puts in her own pack along with the other goods which are not duplicates of items she already has. She pulls her crossbow from her pack and sticks two quarrels in a thin sheath lashed to her calf. A third she places in the un-tensioned bow.

"Ready to go. The trail looks relatively straight and may be the surest and possibly quickest way through the forest unless one of our group is a faultless tracker." She has her solemn game-face on but her eyes shine with enjoyment at the prospect of danger.


Felmor looks at the map, amd his enthusiam is dampened somewhat, seeing names like Serpent's Gorge did not help things, at all. It reminded him of his time in Darkmoon Vale, and the time he spent with...no he was not going to think about her anymore. But her face, with those hauntingly dark, beautiful eyes, once more intruded into his memory. "Oh Armandia, why'd ye leave me, wit' out sayin g'bye?"

He hurries to make sure his gear is properly stowed, and says, "Well, time's wastin'. We need ta gets movin' I'll take rear guard."

Bluff 1d20 ⇒ 6

Sense Motive DC 10

Spoiler:
You see he is trying to hold back a few tears.


Sense Motive for Alis 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Sense Motive for Alexis 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

As her sister clips a quiver full of crossbow bolts to her belt, Alis takes note of Felmor's change of mood. Uncertain as to his upset, she tries to lighten the situation by providing an alibi with a joke, "Far from the sea, I know, but it will be alright."

She smiles and reaches up to give him a pat on the shoulder with her gloved hand — their cuffs overlapping those of her bolero.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Priyya sees the mood shift in Felmor but decides to say nothing lest she bring unwanted attention on him. Sometimes we have to debate awhile with our own souls. She c0cks her crossbow and looks down the trail.

Can we get some idea if the trail is well marked, could we walk two abreast or is it more of a game trail?


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Can we rent horses to cut our travel time in half? Or is it a prerequisite (or part of the adventure) of the contest to walk two days to the dungeon?


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2
Morgaard wrote:
Can we rent horses to cut our travel time in half? Or is it a prerequisite (or part of the adventure) of the contest to walk two days to the dungeon?

Good man! I was thinking rent'em or steal'em. Alls fair in love and war. :)


Morgaard wrote:
Can we rent horses to cut our travel time in half? Or is it a prerequisite (or part of the adventure) of the contest to walk two days to the dungeon?

A dwarf, ride a horse? Sacrelige! He he.

Captain Wardove, aka Alis wrote:

Alis takes note of Felmor's change of mood. Uncertain as to his upset, she tries to lighten the situation by providing an alibi with a joke, "Far from the sea, I know, but it will be alright."

She smiles and reaches up to give him a pat on the shoulder with her gloved hand — their cuffs overlapping those of her bolero.

Felmor jumps, surprised at her touch, and he turns to her and gives a half hearted smile, but his heart is not in it, obviously. Sorry, mi'lady, jes used to da ocean breezes. Still its only fer a few days. I'll be fine.

BTW, how will this play with the timeline of Alexis and her departure to Arcadia?


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Suny checks the contents of the pack offered her. She grins upon finding the brandy and like Morgaard re-arranges things to better fit and suit within one pack.


Priyya: The path heading south west from town is fairly wide and well-traveled. Judging by the wagon ruts in the road and how little the summer growth has encroached upon it, you would guess that it must lead to a neighboring town or village. While not quite broad enough to allow two carts to pass without one pulling to the side, it's broad enough for you to walk three abreast without cramping one another or to ride two side-by-side.

At Morgaard's suggestion, Alis comments, "Horses aren't a bad idea actually."

Diplomacy: Gather Information DC 10 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

A few folks seem surprised at the question, but they direct you to try the second building on the left as you exit Kassen's east gate.

As you approach, you hear the sound of men working to build a new fence. "Hail there," calls out Alis, "the good folk of Kassen said that we should see you about horses. Would you be willing to rent us a few for the following week?"


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Since Morgaard was raised by a blacksmith just outside of Highhelm; he has a good bit of experience as a farrier and working around the horses of many a traveler venturing though the region. He's kind of fond of them actually.


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Suny follows along, looking a little bemused by the parties actions.

The brown skinned Elf seems quite happy to wriggle her toes in the dirt as the walk or stand.


The two men stand up, and look in surprise at the bevy of beauties headed their way. The younger of the two, an athletic lad of about 16 swallows nervously while the other, clearly his older brother by a few years blushes and looks over his shoulder past the fence.

He scratches the back of his head with his left hand and points to the fence with the hammer in his right, "Um... well, no I don't suppose that Pa would mind. Only problem is, a gang of horse thieves busted our fence and cleaned us out just two nights ago. We had to let Mayor Jonah borrow a pony for this morning's ceremony because two ponies and an angry old nag who trampled one of the thieves to death were the only animals the thieves left behind."

From the front door of the house appears an older man with white hair and skin like leather. "You six are heading south to the crypt ain't cha?"

He walks up and offers his hand in greeting. "Name's Darren Schufer, and these are my boys Pete and Jim. The thieves went south, so if you're going that way, be careful. You look like the capable sorts though, so they might give you a wide berth... or maybe not."

"If you catch them though, the town constable has a reward out and we'd be mighty glad to get our stock back too. I know it ain't much, but we could hitch the two ponies to a cart for you. It won't be any faster than walking, but it will sure take a load off! We can hook you up for about 10 gold for the week which will include feed and such. Theres also a deposit of 50 gold normally, but since you've already paid the entry fee for the dungeon challenge, I'll just take it up with Uptal if'n ye skip-out."

When Alis smiles and hands over six platinum to cover the rental and the deposit he was willing to waive. Darren nods his head appreciatively and motions for the boys to hitch up a cart. "That's kind of you miss. Tell you what, bring back any of our horses and I'll pay you folks 20 gold for each one you recover!"

Within a few moments, Pete and Jim return with the cart and you are all happy to be able to get your packs off your shoulders.


Alis suggests, "Morgaard, how about you and Alexis take the seat on the front of the cart. The rest of us should be fine now that we don't need to carry our packs."

Alright, marching order? The road is wide enough for people to walk in front of or behind the cart, but since the ruts that the cart's wheels like to follow are in the center, walking to the sides really isn't practical.


Felmor sighs in relief as he is able to unload the pack off of his back. Being a sailor, carrying a heavy load was generally not a good idea.

He takes a position behind the cart, and will watch behind the group for any ambushers, seeing a cart with several beautiful women as a tempting target, especially for those horse thieves.

He will carry all his weapons though, and keep a crossbow loaded, ready to fire.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Morgaard stows his pack in the cart, puts his bow within reach and his great axe propped next to him. Once everyone/everything is loaded, he pops the reins lightly and the cart rumbles forward at a brisk walking pace.

"Move along now, my lil doggies..."

He begins to hum a tune as the trail opens before the two ponies.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Priyya says, "I think Morgaard might appreciate being able to keep his eyes on both his charges at the same time, so Alis perhaps you should walk in front of the cart. As for me, I'm happy to walk with either Alis or Felmor - front or behind the cart makes no difference to me."

She gratefully drops her pack in the cart. Walking is always more pleasant unburdened.


Just because it's her style, Alis walks in the front, about 20-feet ahead of the cart and somewhat to the left in case she needs to get out of the way of it. Alexis takes her seat on Morgaard's right side so that she won't get in the way of his bow or axe.

Ninja'd by Priyya yet again! :D

"How about you join me up here too, Priyya. Best to have our lightbringer shining the way for us, right?"


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Suny is happy to skip barefoot along side the wagon, x-bow slung acros her back now that her pack is on the wagon.

She tries to at least hummm along with the tune Morgaard is making.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2
Captain Wardove, aka Alis wrote:
"How about you join me up here too, Priyya. Best to have our lightbringer shining the way for us, right?"

"It would be my honor, Alis." She holds her crossbow casually but ready. When they are several paces ahead, she glances back at the cart then moves next to Alis and says quietly...

Alis or Perception DC:30:
"I hope pairing Felmor with Suny isn't too much for him. She's a handful."


Priyya or Perception DC 30:
She frowns and looks back. "Yeah, but if Suny was up here, she'd probably get split-in-two by Morgaard the first time she got distracted and nearly caused a wreck. Well... that or trampled to death if he was feeling charitable."


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Skip-y, skip.

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

"Sure enough t'is nice here 'bouts." (^_^)


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Priyya laughs and moves back to the other wheel rut, ready to dive out of the way if Morgaard gets itchy.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Morgaard lights his pipe and begins singing an old campaign cadence in Giantish. It sounds like gutteral growls and rumbles for the most part, but it has a nice rhythm that goes with the rolling wheels of the cart.

Giantish:

Roll, roll, roll along;
Sons of stone, we're rolling on!
Make, make, make a way;
Our axes cleave a path today!
Hi-dee, hi-dee, hi-dee ho;
As we walk, like stones we roll!
Hi-dee, hi-dee, hi-dee hey;
Our hammers smash those in the way!

As the smoke rings begin to drift, there is a clear sparkle in his eye denoting that this dwarf loves a good adventure.


While she doesn't know Giantish, Alis happily hums along to Morgaard's marching cadence.

After about four hours of travel, you spot the where the trail you need to take branches off to the south. Unlike the road you've been following, this trail is much rougher and the undergrowth has started to encroach upon it. Having a look at the ground, even a novice woodsman can easily see that the underbrush has been trampled heavily and recently.

Survival DC 6:
You can tell that a large number of horses was run thru here recently.


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Grinning happily, Suny tries to 'sing' along with Morgaard.

Perform:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 (Untrained)

Skippy-skip.

(^_^)

Survival:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 (Untrained)

Skippy-skip.

"Oooo! Looky!" Suny points at the forest and the trail, "Somat went that-a-way!" She excitedly indicates.

(^_^)


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Having a pretty good inkling of the flavor of song the dwarf is singing, Priyya sings a Keleshite poem (translated into Common) in her soft contralto voice.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Survival 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Priyya nods to Alis - acknowledging she reached the same conclusion about the damage to the underbrush.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Survival DC:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Morgaard slows the cart to a snails pace.

"I'd think we should creep it from here and keep it silent as possible. One of you quiet ones should sneek ahead and have a peek!"

He extinguishes his pipe and puts it away, while looking around in all directions.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Priyya agrees but she is not stealthy.


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Suny looks from Alis to Alexis to Priyya to Felmor and finally to Morgaard.

"Ummm, I dun't know a whole lot about tree green stuffs...." She admits quietly. "Now, swimming through kelp? Yuppers, I c'n do that real sneaky like." She beams. (^_^)


"Stealth huh?" Alis looks about at the way everyone else is dressed and/or carries themselves and laughs a bit, "Well, I guess that pretty much means me, doesn't it? Guess I'll take point..."

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Unless anyone else has any bright ideas, Alis will toss her coat and baldric in the back of the cart and just carry her rapier. She slips a lightweight grey shirt over her bold, red bodice, and then rebuckles her belt around it. Alis stays about 50 feet ahead of everyone else doing her best to look for trouble while staying ahead of the noisiness of the cart.


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Suny will move ahead of the cart, x-bow at the ready.

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Felmor would be pretty good backup for Alis - Leather armor and a DEX of 18 - so his untrained stealth would be pretty good. Priyya is willing to follow as well. To give her any stealth bonus though, she'd have to drop her armor.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Priyya stays equidistant between the cart and Alis, hoping to act as an early warning system from either direction with her sharp senses.


Alexis gets down from the cart and keeps a crossbow bolt in hand in case trouble crops up.

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 aid another on Alis

OK, I REALLY have to get some work done here. Haven't even been able to get started yet. I'll work out perception DCs and such later on and then let you guys know if you find anything noteworthy.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 1

Morgaard keeps the ponies at a snail's pace behind Alis. He puts the reins of the wagon in his teeth slowly, then retrives his bow and two arrows. He nocks one arrow in the bow, and keeps the other arrow between his bow-gripping fingers. He returns the reins to his right hand, with the readied bow gripped tightly in his left hand. His axe and the cart's wooden brake lever are within quick grasp of his right hand.

Morgaard lets out a brief chuckle, then continues scanning in front of wagon along the trail. He's not nervous, just cautious. He knows his girls can care for themselves well-enough, but he's still on the lookout for any obstacles that may be encountered; as well as ready to loose an arrow into anyone or anything that comes within 10 paces of Alis or Alexis.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2

Bed for me!


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Aye, headin' fer th' bunk as well. See every one fer a short stint in eight or so! (^_^)


Hey all, in case you don't normally check the main Paizo website, check this out. Jenny and I got a shout-out for the Seoni costume we did! :D

Paizo Blog: Tuesday, June 15, 2010


Priyya_1 wrote:

Felmor would be pretty good backup for Alis - Leather armor and a DEX of 18 - so his untrained stealth would be pretty good. Priyya is willing to follow as well. To give her any stealth bonus though, she'd have to drop her armor.

Felmor would move to back up behind Alis about 10' or so, Stealth, untrained 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 and draw his pin and dagger, for close in combat


Just to let you know, it may be a couple hours before I can update things. Once again the email situation is crazy.

There is a silver-lining though: I just accepted an offer for a new and better position within Dell! I'll transition into the new job on August 2nd. Only another month and a half of this current BS! :D


Captain Wardove, aka Alis wrote:

Just to let you know, it may be a couple hours before I can update things. Once again the email situation is crazy.

There is a silver-lining though: I just accepted an offer for a new and better position within Dell! I'll transition into the new job on August 2nd. Only another month and a half of this current BS! :D

You work for Dell?? Well It beats HP, he he.


Felmor Traker wrote:
You work for Dell?? Well It beats HP, he he.

Yeah, Dell bought-out our company for our SaaS technology a couple years ago. i.e. I work for the side of the company that support business services rather than home consumers. But yeah, gamers are always having to have their HPs replaced due to swords, fireballs, sneak attacks — way better to go with a Dell! ^_^


Captain Wardove, aka Alis wrote:
Felmor Traker wrote:
You work for Dell?? Well It beats HP, he he.
Yeah, Dell bought-out our company for our SaaS technology a couple years ago. i.e. I work for the side of the company that support business services rather than home consumers. But yeah, gamers are always having to have their HPs replaced due to swords, fireballs, sneak attacks — way better to go with a Dell! ^_^

Ya know, I should slap you for that horribly bad pun, he he.


Female Aasimar -- born Kelesh Cleric / 2
Captain Wardove, aka Alis wrote:
There is a silver-lining though: I just accepted an offer for a new and better position within Dell! I'll transition into the new job on August 2nd. Only another month and a half of this current BS! :D

Congrats, Mike! Will you be staying on the graveyard shift?


Spoiler:
HP: 08/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Stealth:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 (Untrained)

Sneaky-sneakin'


Oof! Well that sucked! Is it August yet? O_o;

Priyya wrote:
Congrats, Mike! Will you be staying on the graveyard shift?

No, I'll be moving back to dayside. Maybe then I'll finally be able to have a life again! O_O

Alright time to figure out perception/stealth results, etc...

201 to 250 of 1,844 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP] Wardove's Side-Treks All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.