Wardove's Rumble in the Jungle

Game Master Laithoron

[ Links: Matrix | ToC | Wiki ]


10,201 to 10,250 of 11,113 << first < prev | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | next > last >>

Arion rushed to help stabilise Tiniel. From behind his fellow agent he braced her in his arms and took a deep breath. Exhaling slowly, he remarked, "This day's trauma has affected emotions and bodies."

With a glance of affectionate sympathy towards Lureene he added, "May we find the strength and clarity among us to best help the ones we love."

Yes, I do dearly care for You already. It matters not Your heritage; although I see the intense spirit within You may wax super-calescent, more than other mortals of this world! May we find worthy uses for Your ardor.

He hoped that Lureene could interpret his expressions.

Arion considered the recently knighted Moon Elf and asked, "While these friends are preparing their investigative magic, I wonder if Dame Amhranai, so familiar with this land and its ways, has any news or thoughts that might shed light on these subjects."


"That it has, Arion," Alis agreed, "that it has..."

Once Tiniel looked a bit steadier, she laid a hand upon Darvesch's shoulder as a show of confidence. "Please proceed, Darvesch. I have faith in your abilities."

Alis uses Inspire Competence +3 on Darvesch. She also expends one use of Good Hope from her sceptre for his benefit.

It was a few minutes and several oranges later before his analysis had concluded...

Darvesch:
Given the differences between Spellcraft and K: Arcana between Pathfinder and 3.5, I think it would be more appropriate to use K: Arcana. That said, it's not possible to Take 20 on a Knowledge check as the skill description says "Retries: No" and Taking 20 is essentially retrying until you get it right. A quick forum search seems to confirm this.

As for Taking 10, James Jacobs says that you can do that since we're not in combat. However, since you cannot redo a Knowledge check (without access to something that can expand your knowledge such as a library), then there's a chance of auto-failing anything above what your Take 10 would net you.

Alis' buffs will give you a +6 bonus however...

K: Arcana Results

  • Identity: You'll need to study another spell effect to compare the magical signature against this one.
  • Class: Normally bard, although in this instance it seems more like some manner of assassin.
  • Class Specialty: The type of magic employed reminds you of that employed by the priestesses from Charelle's temple.
  • Time Cast: Around sunset yesterday, shortly after the guests would have departed.
  • Class Level: The caster was most-likely a great deal more experienced than any of you, though less powerful than Ozyrankhus at least.
  • Species: Sun Elf.
       K: Arcana DC 20+10 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 12 + 6 = 30 Alis' buffs
  • Gender: Unknown, blocked by a misdirection effect.
       K: Arcana DC 25+10 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 12 + 6 = 33 Alis' buffs fail, mythic surge possible
  • Age: Unknown, blocked by a misdirection effect.
       K: Arcana DC 25+10 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 6 = 26 Alis' buffs fail
  • Nationality: Unknown, blocked by a misdirection effect.
       K: Arcana DC 30+10 1d20 + 12 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 6 = 21 Alis' buffs fail

Note: The misdirection effect seems to have been pointed at an individual who (ironically) had some sort of nondetection effect in place.
CL Check DC 23 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 fail, mythic surge possible


As if just roused from slumber, Amhranai dragged her eyes lazily in the direction of Arion. While talk of the evil artifacts had caught her attention, she didn't see them as a direct cause for alarm; in fact, little of what had been discussed left the elf feeling alarmed. Any double-dealing or the like would be dealt with by those better suited to its ouster. The safety of the friends she had left in the morning weighed far more heavily. They should be okay, but I still question just what am I doing here anyways? Perhaps, in time, my presence at meetings like these will make more sense as I am more exposed to the other side of things.

"Hmm...anything to add? I think not. I question how evil those relics are, whether or not they were simply focal points for ritual sacrifice from days long past or something else. Darvesch certainly seems adamant, but doesn't that come hand in hand with his profession? I say such, Darvesch, not to cast aspersions on you or your inquiries, but more to raise the thought of whether this line of questioning is even necessary.

"To be honest, however, I find that I am...distracted at this time. Nothing of great importance, just the ongoing effort of putting out various fires around Eldarion. Please, do not allow my distraction to deter any of this investigation. The sooner we have answers, the better."


Dwarf Lightbringer

Though there were some things he couldn't quite get access too, he reached within himself and found the resolve to determine who was behind this spell.

Dwarven:

"Son-of-a... You're going to regret hiding from me!"

GM:

Gender 1d6 + 33 ⇒ (5) + 33 = 38 surge
CL Check 1d6 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25 surge


Tiniel looked worried at Darvesch's outburst but remained quiet. For her part, Alis gave a soft sigh that belied the effort she had expended in helping to inspire her cousin. As he concluded, Alis nodded to Amhranai and replied, "Precisely. They have been there for what looks like some time. For now, we need to focus on leads that might go cold. Well Darv, what have you learned?"

Darvesch:
Modify Memory was cast by a female.

Misdirection was pointed at...

  • Identity: Someone else (as might be expected)
  • Class: Archaeologist, Inquisitor, Master Spy
  • Class Specialty: N/A, the target of a misdirection spell doesn't cast anything
  • Time Cast: No more than half an hour before the Modify Memory spell tops.
  • Caster Level: N/A, the target of a misdirection spell doesn't cast anything
  • Species: Sylvan Elf
  • Gender: Female
  • Age: Middle Age
  • Nationality:
       K: Arcana DC 30 1d20 + 12 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 3 = 16 Good Hope fail


"Your tenacity encourages me Lightbringer! May I be among those who pin these vermin at the end of the chase!"

Arion looked upon the golden haired leader as she sighed.

How it enrages me! These were no mere primative strikes from disjointed, misled natives. These have been highly calculated, premeditated attempts upon the lives of these noble, dear hearts...and this admirable heroine of the legendary Kirmoon line. Even now she exerts herself in the hunt.

Arion returned his attention to Amhranai, inquiring, "Yet would it not benefit Your cause to share what news of those various fires around Port Eldarion with those powerful ones here who, I'm certain, would be willing to aid a Knight of the Protectorate? Even the glint of gold in a forest may sometimes be a vast treasure when uncovered. And we have time enough to at least examine what is important enough to distract Your thoughts from these weighty matters."


Amhranai leveled a bitter smile at the elven scribe. He's turned enough flowery phrases to populate a garden. "My 'news' is nothing new, Arion-since O'beilumanji's ill-advised attempt at holding the city hostage, chaos has been quite prevalent in the streets. Even more so in those parts where 'missing individuals' are less cause for alarm. Which is, as I said, nothing new.

"Widen your gaze, if you will, outside the opulent quarters here and north of the harbor. You will find more than just the shadows preoccupying most people. No, these are all too real phantasms leering over the weak, intent on murder, rape, pillaging. There are children dying out there and we are chasing down ancient relics. Relics whose relevance is, to me, highly trivial at this point in time." An exasperated sigh punctuated the end of the elf's statement.

Turning to Alis, she said, "Your Highness, if my presence is no longer required here, I have some friends who could use my assistance. I cannot seem to bring myself to worry too much over these proceedings while their need is left unmet. I believe the others here are more than adequate to solve whatever puzzles remain." For a moment, it seemed the priestess was prepared to walk away before receiving an answer, but she held fast, expectant.


Dwarf Lightbringer

"Well," he says, letting out a sigh, "it looks like a middle aged sun elf who seems to be in the service of Charelle was the perpetrator behind this. And she managed to pull it off after the guests would have been leaving. It seems she's a powerful assassin as well, but not quite as powerful as Ozzy was. She also made use of a misdirection, and pointed it at.." he pauses for a moment, looked to the Baroness, "a sylvan elf."


"Well done, Frændi. And Amh," Alis began, eager to turn her attention to Darvesch, "Arion and Tiniel arrived on the convoy that put into port the evening before yesterday. They have had other duties with which to familiarize themselves... A great many actually."

"Also, why do I get the feeling you're not telling us something, hmm?" she teased. "Stick around for a while longer, we aren't hunting relics but the very sort of power players who like to use the people you care about as pawns in their games. You can do your friends more good by helping to take down an arsonist than by always chasing behind putting out their fires."

Holding out out a hand to the inquisitor, she continued, "Case in point, that description matches Shivone — you know, the same woman whose devil helped O'beilumanji to nearly overthrow the city."

Dipping her chin slightly, smile every bit as bitter as the pale elf she addressed, she asked, "Still think that these proceedings aren't worth worrying over?"

Rolls:
Bluff Checks
M 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Sense Motive Checks:
A 1d20 + 25 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 25 + 4 + 4 = 42 alertness, Tear


Male Sky Elf Game Master lv 20

Back inside, far out of earshot of the others, the massive stone table began to shake, making the bones strewn upon the divining mat shudder and reorient before Amelia's eyes. As they did so, the soot rising up from the myriad candles coalesced into the visage of a primal face without eyes, teeth, or hair. In a deep voice, it intoned the answer to the witch's question.
.
.
.
"If you seek, but do not find,
The one who summons demonkind,
In red gar's belly upon the brine,
Is where that one will sleep and dine...
"

Rolls:
1d100 ⇒ 2


Were she younger, Amhranai might have withered beneath the steely gaze of the princess. Instead, the elf stood, resolute, not yielding, but not challenging either. "Your point is taken and well understood. I might not have met you out in the harbor did I not understand the need to remove the, as you say, arsonist. However, that does not mean the fires already lit will no longer burn.

"Is there something I have withheld to this point? Yes, there is, but once again, it is nothing new. An escaped convict attacked me, as well as a group of Zucks I was speaking with this morning. One who used to be in the employ of Iole Bonati. Whether he was acting under Bonati's orders is of little consequence-opportunistic killers roaming the streets are in no short supply lately and, like I said before, their preying upon the Zucks is not out of the ordinary. Is there some over-arching plan behind killing me? An attempt to drive an even larger wedge between the Zucks and those in power? Possibly, but to my mind, it seems to be a rather roundabout way of achieving such, and I do not think my death would tip the scales in such a manner. I would not be the first to be killed for attempting to help them." Iscandu save me from such hubris! And yet, in my desire to depart here, to help Karaka and the others, do I not fall prey to just that? They are more than capable of taking care of each other and for me to suggest less does them a disservice.

Amhranai waved a hand in deference. "Fine, I submit. Let us see where this investigation takes us."


Lureene licked her fingers to get the last sticky remnants of orange juice off her fingers and gave Arion an encouraging smile to let him know his gesture was greatly appreciated.

He is SUCH a gentleman!

She nodded slowly in response to Darvesch's revelation of the assassin's (presumed) identity. "Wellll...it would certainly fit her method of operation considering the other plots that have been foiled so far. I am not certain what she was actually trying to accomplish here. The death of Wingilme?" She shakes her head in frustration. "At least we know she is still in Port Eldarion....An assassin capable of penetrating the Palace defenses at will, it seems to me anyway, has no need to flee. Perhaps we can lure her into a trap, like Arion suggested."

She turned to look at the room where Amelia is still performing her ritual. "I wonder if Amelia is having any luck..."


Arion rapidly picked up one fallen twig from a nearby tree; pointing it at Amhranai, with all speed he snapped the twig in two, throwing it into a pile of brush in the shadows. "Easily broken is the individual."

Scooping up a handful of branches, in a bundle, they withstood what had so quickly snapped the twig."Together, we are strong. Help us to help You and Your friends. You were not ordained a Knight for no reason. Ilmarond arrived here to protect Dafar. A strong, incorruptible new government here is the best protection for those children, those oppressed, out there."

The Sky Elf bowed his head to the Moon Elf, adding, "At the same time, even though I have spent many years among the corrupt, upon the hard, merciless streets of other cities, I still have much to learn about the people who work and sweat and bleed to make a Kingdom what it is. Your news of the attempt on Your own life is very informative. The more perspectives, the more clues, the easier to solve a mystery. The Marshall Hlokenar also needs our assistance concerning escaped prisoners. Our Princess has the resources and agents to piece all of this together, to take the fight to the enemies of us all."

The elven wizard addressed the group around himself, "I must also add that such a spell of misdirection tells us that whoever cast it was relatively near to the 'Sylvan Elf.' Even for extremely powerful magic users, that spell's range is at best 60 to 75 feet from its target."

Rolls:
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 11 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 20 = 37 Feat of Intelligence (Su)


It was nice to have peace and quiet, it was hard to concentrate when everyone was speaking back and forth. She realized that it was necessary, but it made her job harder, and kept the spirits away.

Now, she had a dimly lit room, filled with pungent smelling incenses, candles lit around the corners of her tanned hide cloth. The pile of ash in the middle of the intricate design on the cloth, bones spread out across the hide. Her eyes were closed as she chanted softly to herself in her native tongue, pleading to the spirits to hear her call and give her an answer.

To some, this process would seem like it takes forever, but for her, it was just a matter of seconds, at least it felt like seconds to her. When she opened her eyes as the table to start to rattle, she sat in place, keeping her eyes focused where the cloud of smoke and ash were combining into a hairless, eyeless head.

It spoke to her, "If you seek, but do not find,
The one who summons demonkind,
In red gar's belly upon the brine,
Is where that one will sleep and dine..."

After a moment, Amelia broke eye contact with the spirit who spoke to her as her eyes rolled back and she collapsed to the ground from her sitting position. Amelia wasn't sure how long she had passed out for, but it probably wasn't more than a couple of minutes. Pushing herself up slowly,she quickly wrote down in the ash with her finger what the spirit had told her, not having a quill or ink near by. Then finally stood up and headed outside to find her companions.

Once she was able to track the lot of them down, she grinned a toothy grin, "Da spirits have spoken ta mi friends... let us figure out da puzzle we 'ave been givin'."


Before anyone else could start bickering, the willowy figure of Amelia finally appeared from a nearby archway to greet everyone.

Oh thank the gods!

Breathing a sigh of relief, Alis smiled and said, "Excellent, what puzzle did the spirits whisper? Our friends are eager for a plan to put into action."

Sense Motive DC 34 (Amelia, Arion, Darvesch, Sindariel):
You have the distinct feeling that the normally perfectly poised Princess is secretly in the mood to start throttling some people right now.

Rolls:
Bluff Checks
A 1d20 + 25 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 25 + 4 = 34 Tear

Sense Motive Checks:
E 1d20 + 25 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 25 + 3 = 37 alertness
M 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
R 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34
D 1d20 + 20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 20 + 5 = 42 familiarity
L 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 2 + 5 = 12 alertness, familiarity
S 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 + 2 = 19 human

S 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (13) + 25 = 38
T 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (4) + 18 = 22


"Aww man, a puzzle?" Sasha groaned. "I hate puzzles! Can't we just go hunt down some bad guys already?"


Amelia could tell as soon as she walked in that tension was high, the smile on her face dimmed slightly as she searched everyone with her strange hazel colored eyes. She took a step closer to Alis and place a thin hand lightly on her shoulder.

"Deer deer gurl, we be findin' where dis person lie soon enough." She told Sasha and then looked to Alis once more, hoping the hand on her shoulder was some what comforting.

"Dey be tellin' me, 'If you seek, but do not find,
The one who summons demonkind,
In red gar's belly upon the brine,
Is where that one will sleep and dine.' ... we be full o' intelligence 'ere, so Ah'm sure we'll get dis in no time.."
she said, obviously having confidence in everyone working together, since, they needed to stick together and depend on each other now, not fight amongst themselves.


In the flash of an eye, Tiniel locked her gaze on the witch and looked ready to take the woman's hand (or perhaps head) off. Even as she leapt to knock the woman's hand off the Princess' shoulder, Alis caught the more slightly built woman by the wrist and said, "That won't be necessary, Tin, Amelia doesn't mean any harm, she is simply being cordial."

Rolls:
Initiative Rolls
A 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
E 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

T 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

A grapple 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 14 + 2 = 36 improved grapple


The apparent hand-maiden seemed surprised by her Highness' swiftness, but she made no effort to resist or defy her command. Instead, she simply bowed her head and replied, "Understood, your Highness, I was merely acting according to my training."

Sheathing a previously hidden blade, she turned to Amelia and said, "Forgive me. It is customarily a death sentence for someone to lay hands upon royalty unless bidden to do so."


The raptor seizes its prey with lightning reflexes!

Arion slowly returned his weapon into its sheath inside his sleeve. Rising up from his readied stance upon Amelia's flank, he considered Amelia's message.

In the cold northern waters those bony fish would strike up at prey from shallow rivers, lakes and bayous. These tropical waters would be too warm and saline for such pike. Also, 'UPON the brine?' A conjurer in the belly of a...?

"Red Gar's belly upon the brine," he mused aloud. "Would that be a ship?"

Rolls:
Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 Intelligence


Theme: Mythic Challengers

Gar, this far sou– wait a ship?!

"The future cards" Alis murmured quietly, a far-off look in her eyes, "the devil reversed, and the chariot. The same fool lurking in the past, and red!"

"Yes, of course!" Looking up, Alis clasped Amelia's hand in her own and nodded emphatically to Arion. "That must be it, Arion! In my own readings last night, there were unclear signs but Amelia's divination... it's the missing puzzle piece — it all makes sense now!"


"Now Sash, we all know that is how the spirits talk, in riddles and puzzles." Lureene replied calmly, although there was an undercurrent of vexation in her tone. Clearly she was no fan of puzzles either.

She sighs. "Well, that would seem to show Avoreen was indeed summoned here, or at least an avatar of her was anyway. As for WHO..." She rubbed her temples trying to relax herself before continuing, "Perhaps Arion is right, it could refer to a ship. We should send for the Harbormaster...uhh what was his name again... He should be able to get a manifest of ships currently doc--" Alis' exclamation interrupted her train of thought. "Wait... WHAT 'Lis?"


Alis closed her eye and took a deep breath as she considered how to explain things.

Slow down, Lis, apparent insanity is not a becoming trait in a ruler.

"Last night, after everyone left," she said, "I consulted my Tarot deck. The two questions foremost in my thoughts concerned what led to the prior governor's downfall and who might have benefitted from it, and what the relationship was between those who led to her downfall and those who killed her."


"Er... aren't those the same thing, Lissi?"


Baroness: Textiles

"Normally, but not necessarily," Sindariel said, thoughts lingering upon the flask of vermouth she kept in her coat pocket for days such as this. "Let's let her finish, shall we, dear?"


Alis winked at the two more fiery-haired women but continued without comment upon what they had said, "At first I thought the readings very odd, since the past causes in each case was The Fool, a card normally associated with an individual so enlightened they are beyond worldly concerns. The curious thing is that the 'present' card seemed to indicate that those who benefitted from Gwiniel's death dwelt between two worlds, while the future card, The Devil but turned on it head, indicated her death was to the detriment of those who had brought about her downfall."

"Knowing that Lucretia and Shivone were in league, that suggests Governor Taurion's death was not the Coil's goal. The fact that Darvesch's findings point to Shivone underscore this even further. She tried to have Tiniel use a knock-out poison on me instead of something more lethal, then wanted me to venture out on short notice to an unplanned meeting."


Baroness: Textiles

"To an empty estate, no less," Sindariel added, "Naiobe and I were happily passing time discussing her 'appreciation' of the Bonatis until nigh well nightfall..."


The Princess shook her head as if that news should have come as little surprise. "Now it is well known that the assailants who killed the prior governor were four half-Dafari women, each many decades your senior, Amelia. Since the Dafari are the tribe who dominated the Daifiri River, the mermaid ascending into darkness on the middle card seem to me like a creature of two worlds, one with little interest in worldly gain, but only in their own realm."

"However," she turned to Lureene and ran a gentle hand along her wings, "what if it meant another being of two worlds who was interested in their own realm? What about Avoreen?"


Lureene's eyes widened at the revelation revealed by Alis. "'Lis...you might be onto something there. Avoreen would certainly desire your death...to open up a pathway for her to establish her OWN puppet on the throne!" As she contemplated Alis' words further Arvoreen's words echoed in her mind...as if from a dream, she gasped in shock. "...Like ME!"


Even as Sindariel breathed thru clenched teeth, fingers playing about the smooth surface of her flask, Alis nodded. "Just like Wingilmë intimated, Avoreen must be furious that you turned away from her... to me."


"Huh," Sasha planted one fist on her cocked hips while looking at her left hand. "Man, my mom chopped off my pinkie finger when I tried to blow her off. I don't want to think about what you Mom would chop off of you Ellie!"

Shaking her head, the huntress grimaced at the thought before looking at Lureene, squeezing her hand apologetically. "If it makes you feel better, I don't think you'd make a good princess, Ellie... you're too nice."


Baroness: Textiles

Sindariel tilted her head and raised an eyebrow at Sasha's statement. "My but it has been a long morning, you are looking at the wrong hand, child."


The younger redhead just gave a silly laugh and shook her head enthusiastically, "Nah, it's the right one!"

Biting her lip, she left go of Lureene's hand to scratch her head and explained, "Well I mean it was my left one but I mean that that's right. Anyway, my pinkie grew back the night I got boobs, so I guess the moral of the story is that everything works out okay in the end!"


Baroness: Textiles

The spymaster merely nodded and removed her flask, holding it out for any who might desire a swig. "Truly, you leaded a blessed life."

With a smile, Sasha nodded and happily accepted the Baroness' offer. At least there could be no misunderstandings where food or alcohol were concerned.


Alis coughed for attention."As I was saying..."

Wide-eyed, Sasha passed the flask back to the equally tall elf who couldn't help but smirk at the whole situation.

They're like two sisters, born far apart — one with voluminous waves and curves to match, the other straight and sleek...

"So that reading made me first suspect we might be dealing with rival factions, two at the very least. I decided that another reading was in order to figure out what the relationship was between those who led Governor Taurion to ruin and those who killed her."

"Once again, The Fool was present and in the same location in the order. This time, it seemed to suggest perhaps the individual who led Gwiniel to ruin only thought themselves clever and enlightened... or at least above the concerns of normal society."

"The central card, displaying a powerful knight of earth, suggested the real assassins could not be swayed by mundane temptations such a gold, or power. In fact, the devil reversed from the prior reading indicated the breaking of bondage, not willing enslavement. Of course, someone like The Fool could never be reached by a knight's brazen charge, and so while they floated above, out of harm's way, the one they were influencing suffered demise."

Pausing only momentarily to catch her breath, Alis continued, "Now the last card, and the reason Arion's deduction instantly rang true, was the Chariot! This was how the two factions were related... only it didn't make much sense initially."


Baroness: Textiles

"It seems like Miss Amelia's divination was the missing piece then?" Sindariel asked as she offered Alis her flask that she might wet her whistle.


"Well," Alis smiled at the witch and nodded her head before accepting Sindariel's offer, "Amelia provided another layer of insight and meaning."

"You see, the Chariot seemed representative of a ship of war and conquest. On Reaver's Shiv, we met a crazed Tengu, who had been stranded there for some years. I don't recall the name of the ship right now but what stuck with me is that he revealed they had been engaged in slave trade out of Freetown, and their captain was a redhead by the name of Zoventai!"


Baroness: Textiles

"Eraka Zoventai?" Sindariel's interest was definitely peaked. "Did your mad informant know of her whereabouts, I have a mind to invite her over for a 'formal dinner engagement', if you catch my meaning."


Lureene smirks at the redheaded elf lady. "Unfortunately Sindariel, the late Captain Zoventari had a...PRIOR engagement!"


Baroness: Textiles

The Baroness quirked an eyebrow at the succubus, "Did she now?"


Alis couldn't help but snicker. "I might have neglected to mention that we wiped out a clan of former Malatestans that had been shipwrecked on the island during the battle 70 years ago — giants who had since degenerated into cannibalism."


Baroness: Textiles

"Ah!" There was more than a bit of surprise on Lady Lammontari's face, but she did eventually nodded in approval. "Couldn't have happened to a nicer person..."


"That it did...you could say she got her just desserts!" She chuckled lightly and then winced as she recalled the severe blow to her head during her time there.


Dwarf Lightbringer

Darvesch clutches his axe when he is reminded of the cannibal giants. "So, what is our plan?" He asks solemnly.


Baroness: Textiles

"Very nice, Lady Ourson, very nice indeed!" Sindariel chuckled softly to herself before the dwarf's business-like demeanor reminded her of something.

"You know..." Without turning, she pointed a thumb towards her much-maligned lawn ornaments. "I am told those were the relics of an Obanohi tribe that fell prey to Captain Zoventai's predations. I know that the altar was used for some sort of blood-letting ritual, but I'm not certain about the totem."

Looking to Amelia, she bowed her head in respect and said, "I realize, Miss Amelia, that the Obanohi and the Dafari are old enemies. However, I would be in your debt if you have any greater insight into the historical purpose behind such relics."

Amelia:
You would have to examine them more closely to be certain, but within your memory, or rather theirs you can already surmise what these are. Legends held that the Obanohi were not relegated to the swamps but brought disease and ruin upon themselves by dealing with dark powers. Instead of spilling a warrior blood to divine their totem as the Dafari did, they instead sacrificed beasts upon it to bind those spirits to the souls of their warriors.

Indeed it was only thru the timely intervention of the elves and the magics and weapons they brought with them that your ancestor persevered over the Obanohi's perversions of nature.

As for the small totem, it's not a totem at all. Ibeamaka's predecessor recalls that when the Obanohi grew desperate, they turned to ever more vile magic, sacrificing willing warriors to turn them into powerful monstrosities dead men possessed by the souls of demons. They were known as Bo-Dak. This figurine was used as part of the ritual to turn living me into those monsters.


"I think we would all appreciate your wisdom on that point, Amelia, yet I am almost finished with my tale..."

Putting the altar back out of mind once again, she said, "So the chariot and the slavers... the chariot driver having red hair, bright as the Tengu described, made me wonder if it was tragedies such as what you have just named, Sindariel, that tied those factions together. The Coil empowering slavers, the Zucks being of no mind to allow themselves to be enslaved."

"Yet now," she said, gently shaking Amelia's hand, "I see yet another layer revealed by your divination and by the thoughts overhead by Avoreen's own daughter. With her last thought, Avoreen cursed someone for a weak fool, someone other than those of us who fought to oppose her. And in the wake of The Devil falling, she who wishes to enter into our own world, but had an ally of both her world and ours turned from from their original nature... her future prospects now rest within the belly of a foreign vessel, one associated with the color red!"

Beaming with excitement at the synergy of revelations afforded by all those present, she concluded, "Don't you see, it is just as Arion suspects, the 'Red Gar' must be a ship sailing Desolation Bay!"


There were several moments of silence before Sasha hesitantly raised her hand. "Sooo, does that mean we get to go kill people now? And if it's at sea does that mean I can tell people I'm a pirate when we get back?"


While Amelia didn't like that Tinel seemed to be on edge, along with everyone else, she just gave the woman a cold look and said nothing to her, the smile that she once had completely gone at this point. While she listened to Alis seem to take insight from her vision, she was glad that it could help complete the puzzle that Alis had started. She was also interested to see more of these tarot cards she had and she could show her how bones worked.

Though as the conversation went on, Sindariel looked to Amelia for answers. A moment of silence from the witch, it was almost painfully obvious to see the changing looks in her eyes as she drew memories from a man much older than herself.

"Ah, yus, dem Obanohi be dealin' in some dark stuff... ya see, dey brought disease and ruin on dey own selves, forcin' dem ta draw upon majic dat no man should eva explore...."

Her tone and look grew dark as she took a step away from Alis and used her hands to speak, getting into the story she was telling them.

"Dey split da blood of beasts upon dere alters, and bound that soul with dere warriors, makin' dem into horrible creachas... Ah believe yer people be callin' dem 'werebeasts' or lycanthropes... " She explained and lowered her head, looking up at all of them, "But da tale dun end dere... ya see, the Obanohi grew desperate when da elves came ta help da Dafari people... dey turned ta an even darka majic, dey started ta kill dere warriors and bring dem back into sometheeng we call, da Bo-dak... some say dey were possessed by da souls o' demons..." She said and put a hand up to her forehead, closing her eyes as she straightened her back, looking like she had some kind of headache. Inside, there were strange voices all speaking to her, and it was hard to sort out what was going on outside of her head at this point.

After a moment, one hand still on her head, the other, she pointed a thin finger at what the other's thought was a totem and scoffed at it, "Dat Figurine is da same thing the Obanohi used ta turn dere boys inta Bo-dak."


Lureene stared at Amelia feeling a cold sensation spread through her body despite her otherworldly blood. It suddenly occurred to her if these Obanohi were calling upon demonic powers on a large enough scale, that could very well have gotten the attention of someone like Avoreen.

She walks over to the witch and says softly, "I suspect Avoreen may have taken an interest in the Obanohi as she might have seen it as yet another means to infiltrate this world."

She unconsciously chews on a lock of golden hair as she adds, "But WHY here? This area is not as civilized as what she is accustomed to...no offense Amelia...what is so special about Dafar that would draw her interest here?"


Amelia, who looked to be in some kind of pain or having inner turmoil looked up as Lureene approached her. She listened to her words and gave her a short nod. "Dem fools teenk dey be powerful enough ta control someone like 'er... is very possible she be foolin' dem ta teenk she be on dere side..." Amelia said and slowly lowered her hand, glad that the voices in her head had started to quiet down.

10,201 to 10,250 of 11,113 << first < prev | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP] Wardove's Rumble in the Jungle All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.