The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


8,901 to 8,950 of 10,393 << first < prev | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | next > last >>

M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

I'm still here all, just buried at work and home right now

Ryan will make some quiet inquiries about his cousin with the Stormblades and if they might be willing to meet.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim nods at his bror's canny suggestion for stealth when entering and exiting Ghelve's, then by the cover of darkness makes his way to the locksmiths and onto the Malachite beyond.

Once at the delve he settles in, catching up with familiar faces and providing a bookend to any tales Kikinnin had warmed the hearth with.

Over the coming days the gun-smith work's tirelessly to hone edges and reinforce bulwarks;

Crafting Crunch:

Upgrading his own MW Shortsword to +1 Shortsword (2,000GP - 1/2 Day DC18 Craft: Weapons); Actual Cost: 1,000GP

Craft (Weapons)+Crafter's Fortune Spell: 1d20 + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 40

Upgrade own MW Pistol to +1 Pistol (2,000GP - 1/2 Day DC18 Craft: Weapons); Actual Cost: 1,000GP

Craft (Weapons)+Crafter's Fortune Spell: 1d20 + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 24

MW Mithril Chain Shirt to +1 Mithril Chain Shirt (1,000GP - 1 Day DC13 Spellcraft); Actual Cost: 500GP

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

MAXIM: Total Time: 2 Days, Total Cost: 2,500GP

Upgrade Marigolds' Silvered Mace to MW Silvered Mace (300GP - Masterwork Transformation Spell). Actual Cost: 300GP

Upgrade Marigold's MW Silvered Mace to +1 Silvered Mace (2,000GP - 1/2 Day DC18 Craft: Weapons); Actual Cost: 1,000GP

Craft (Weapons)+Crafter's Fortune Spell: 1d20 + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 13 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 35

MARGOLD: Total Time: 1/2 Day; Total Cost: 1,300GP

Upgrade JJ's +1 Elven Chainmail to +2 Elven Chainmail (3,000GP - 1 Day DC21 Spellcraft); Actual Cost: 1,500GP

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

JJ: Total Time: 1 Day; Total Cost: 1,500GP

Upgrade me Bror's: +1 Shield to +1 Champion Shield [3000GP crafting cost over 1 Day, DC21 Spellcraft & 1500GP actual cost]

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

KIKINNIN: Total Time: 1 Day; Total Cost: 1,500GP

After a scant 4 1/2 days at hammering and casting, the weapon smith takes his leave of the deep-folk once again and returns to Cauldron and his companions, bearing weapons and arms to carry their fight anew.

See spoiler above for everyone's cost and swag :)


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Ryan brings the cloaks to the tavern one evening to meet with both Maxim and Kikinnin, ordering a round of stout dwarven whiskey which causes him to cough repeatedly.

"They're ready, I believe they will work as advertised, although with steel added you may wish to avoid thunderstorms." he finishes with a smile

Bringing his own shield to the table he slides it across the table towards Maxim.

"Take a look at it and design some spikes to add to it and I want it to be as much of an offensive weapon when needed as a defensive one, got a feeling in the future there might be a foe or two that needs bashing."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin takes his Cloak from the master crafter, and extends a hand to shake for the work done. "Much obliged, Ryan. Strange how the magic makes the Cloak's weave feel supple and strong at the same time." Doesn't take the black beard but a moment to don the Cloak, and continue at the table.

"With Maxim's fine forging, and the cloaks back, I feel ready enough to address both our sources. You able to secure a meeting with your cousin, Ryan? For what information these visits might yield, should we contact Marigold and Juraan to see if they're interested in joining the conversation? They've always been sharp minds when it comes to shelling for kernels of truth."

Kikinnin looks to Ryan for such powerful communications, figuring the priest will agree to contacting the halfling lass, if only to make sure she still lives.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim feels the quality of the enchanted fabric with a wry smile;

"Like the cut o' your cloth Taskerhill."

He eyes the bulwark presented, running a calloused finger across its face;

"Surely can. Easy enough ta' add some sharpened spikes, incorporate it into the holy symbol o' you Cugelites. Means you leave yer god's mark on yer foes!"

Should be easy enough for Maxim to add spikes to Ryan's shield, the MW them, and finally enchant them to +1...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Through family contacts Ryan is able to set a meeting with Annah Taskerhill at the Coy Nixie.

Malachite Fortress (Maxim):

During your stay at the Malachite Fortress you are able to visit Hackbus, although the gnome does not seem very responsive. He is consumed into finishing a new grand project or so he says. At his workshop you find a large blueprint for a new weapon "It came to me if we can have a cylinder that rotates with each shot we can have a chamber with up to six bullets ready instead of limiting to two Maxim! Can you believe how advanced this is?" the gnome poses no attention to Maxim's narratives of his last adventures and instead shows the blueprint in all its extension with pride "I am going to call it Hackbus Revolving Gun! I am close to have it done, but the moving cylinder is resulting very difficult to stabilize after each shot!"
You might be willing to help Hackbus, that will require a Craft (firearms) or Knowledge engineering or something similar roll

Despite your lack of relation with your father, after a time at the Malachite you notice the absence of Dolgrin.

Sorry for the continuous delay, setting myself up to date and moving forward is proving more challenging that I previewed. Stay tuned!


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Malachite Moments:

Maxim grins at the gnome's unhinged ingenuity at attempting to produce such a weapon;

"God's be darned Hack... Ye don't do things by halves! 'Course I'll lend my eyes an' hands in any way ye need. Lemme see here..."

Craft (Weapons - don't think there is Firearms as a separate skill?): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24

When not assisting Hackbus, the gun-mage seeks out Gralthar, asking on his father's whereabouts.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Malachite:

Maxim works on a solution for the pistol barrel "That's a good idea Maxim. I can try to produce one of this. Give me some days!" By when Maxim leaves the Malachite Hackbus is already working on tinkering a new barrel prototype to spin and load as bullets are shots.

Gralthar is easy to find. She looks worried at Maxim "Some men came from the surface a week ago and convinced Dolgrin to march with them. I am worried Maxim, he had not came back. He was not quite the same since he returned. He was too concerned about the death of Zenith"

Before marching to the Coy Nixie, some of you also approach the Town Hall. In there you find a couple half-orc mercenaries guarding the entrance. They both close up and refuse you in "We have received express orders to not let anyone in. After the riots the Government had to take special measures to ensure the security of all its members"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks the mercenaries over, the hackles on his neck raised mildly in the presence of orc blood. It's not enough to ruffle his feathers, and he nods to the merc. "I understand. If you'd be so kind as to let lord Vhalantru know that the Watchers came to report our recent activities, that we tried at least. We'll not press our concerns, here and now."

...

Kikinnin doesn't frequent the Coy Nixie, finding it a little high class for his moodier mannerisms when he indulges his drink. He remembers that the others have already enjoyed the environs during the Demonskar Ball, so he lets his companions take the lead in circulating among the patrons to find the Taskerhill lass.

"Ryan, best you do the speaking with Annah. We'll support you. If you know what she likes to drink, I'll set you up." Automatically makes the Aid Another, Diplomacy, so enjoy a +2 bump when you get a chance, Ryan.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Aye" the half-orcs almost growl the response back at Kikinnin, but they do nod to him.

***

The Coy Nixie looks a high class tavern, but contrary to the Cusp of Surise you are accepted in without paying any fee or dressing special etiquette. Inside beautiful draperies adorn the walls, while a dancehall provides entertainment for the attendees.

Despite you find Anna Taskerhill sitting in one of the tables looking into the dancehall as for the appointment, she still does not look any friendly to you. As you sit around she barely acknowledges Ryan with a soft nod "You survived to your adventure in the jungle" her tones is hard and she looks worried at the center of the room.

Having a look into the menu, you discover all sorts of the typical food and drinks in Cauldron. The prices though are at least twice as expensive as in other taverns you usually frequent.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Entering the Coy Nixie Ryan approaches the barkeep. Oldlaw whiskey, shot glasses and bread a cheese for our table please." Handing over 40gp for the single malt whiskey and glasses, he also passes and additional 3 gp for the bread, cheese and tip.

Walking up to the table he joins the others and places a glass in front of each with a last glass turned over empty. "yes, we made it back from the jungle" Ryan answers Anna's comment while pouring a dollop of whiskey in each glass. Sense Motive: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38 to get a sense of what is worrying Anna

Raising his own glass "I'd like to propose a toast before we start." indicating the empty glass.

"This glass is reserved to honour our fallen comrades in arms. This symbolizes that they are with us, here in spirit, yet unable to join in our toast. We should never forget the brave men or women who have answered Cauldron's call to serve. We are compelled to never forget that while we enjoy our daily pleasures, there are others who have endured the agonies of pain, deprivation and death. And we are ever mindful that the sweetness of enduring peace has always been tainted by the bitterness of personal sacrifice. We knew them, we'll remember them, and they will not be forgotten. To our fallen comrades!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 15 + 2 = 30 Ryan is trying to improve Anna's attitude before the meeting gets started

about the toast:
Toast for Fallen Comrades found within the Regimental Rogue website, compliments to our Canadian neighbors for a well written toast, that stated what I was trying to say


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Malachite Musings:

Maxim nods at the technical savvy of his mentor and friend.

"No rush Ol' timer. Work on it an' ah'll come put it through its paces when I next come past."

With the news of Dolgrin heading to the city, the gun-mage frowns;

"He's a darn fool, most likely fixated on the madman an' a lost sense o' justice. I'll sniff around fir news on him. Meantime ware any visitors from the City that ain't endorsed by myself or Kikinnin. Political power games afoot up there, an' too many folks being used as pawns."

@The Coy Nixie

Maxim takes his glass, but does not down it at the toast, instead pausing to add his own addendum ;

"Stirring words there Taskerhill. Now my comrades I'll gladly toast... but foes? Seems to me yer includin' the weasel Vanderboren in this... As such I'll politely decline."

He raises his glass with a hard look...

"To them that deserved to die. Here's mud in their cold dead eye!"

... before knocking it back with a grimace.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

<sigh> no names were given, and we've all lost friends or companions. The idea was to make Anna A little more willing to discuss what happened. We did seek her out for this meeting


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ arrives late, looking a little flushed and flustered.

These last few days he has been noted more in his absence than presence, this mind obviously somewhat elsewhere.

Still, he smiles upon seeing the other Watchers, and all the more at the rather attractive surroundings.

"Wow, a year ago the guard on the door put his boot on my rear just for walking past the front door of this place.." he says, perhaps a tad too loud.

Sinking into the plus chair he offers a wry grin to Ryan, before trying to turn his boyish charm on Anna.

"I think what Ryan is trying to say..." he says.

"Is that while we may have had differences in... implementation.. our goals in a broad sense are the same. We want a safe, wealthy and prosperous Cauldron. We all benefit from that. And at the moment... things are not.."

He glances around to see who may be listening.
"Not necessarily heading in that direction."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin weighs Ryan's opening words, and finds them worthy enough for all present at the table, Annah included. When Maxim grouses, Kikinnin scrunches one side of his face, and looks to Annah to see how the blond beard's words arrive, regarding the recently-deceased.

"Annah, you are a fellow protector of Cauldron, and we are hoping that you'll help us understand a little clearer what happened to the Stormblades, while bringing back Maavu. These are mad times, and we need to see our enemies in the light, or lose ourselves to darkness."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

@Ryan: Know that no one was named chief - but Maxim's also not an eijit an' bears a grudge towards the Stormers and Weasel Vanderboren particularly. To him there's no deal to be made here, hence his stubborness comes to the fore - wasn't trying to undo or undermine a cool RP moment by your good self. Apologies if it read thus.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Malachite Fortress:

Gralthar takes Maxim's arm to stop him while he negates with his head "No. They did not went to the surface. They went into the deepness of the caves. They wanted Dolgrin to bring them back somewhere. I am worried he might never come back. Or even worse. That they would put the Malachite under certain doom"

The barkeep's eyes shine wide when Ryan shows the coin. He produces and oldlaw whiskey, twenty years old, great harvest. During the talk he makes sure the table is well assorted with cheese, bread, olives and other delicacies.

Ryan:

Annah seems truly worried about her own safety and the continuity of her Stormblades due to the recent attack and death of Todd.

"What... are you mocking..." Annah misunderstands Ryan's initial words once Maxim rattles back, but the final words or the toast and JJ's intervention tones her down and she ends up joining the toast with her cup "For our lost comrades"

When Kikinnin poses his question the woman turns even more somber. She does stare at Ryan's and seems to take a decision at that very same moment "I am not comfortable talking about this, our defeat and the loss of Todd are very painful. But I do not want my cousin to suffer a similar fate and I will explain every single detail that might help you"

"We had taken Maavu at Redgorge and we were appointed to escort him back to Cauldron. Here we were directed to take him to the prison, but then... the light suddenly went down around us and a chilling freeze surrounded us. By the time Zachary was able to dispel the darkness..." Annah negates with her head, her eyes look blank as if she could see the scene back in her mind "...Todd was down and we were surrounded by a group of powerful undead lead by a human wizard. We barely managed to repeal the attack and escape with our life. Fortunately we were able to run away and avoid them"

She looks then at Ryan "People say the Chisel was trying to free Maavu, but I do not trust that. I think someone tried to make an ambush over us. The wizard that ambushed us seemed to know all about our tactics, strengths and weaknesses. It was no idle attack. I believe they wanted to send us a message. Perhaps we had grown up too much powerful for someones taste and wanted to put us at place before it was to late. I fear the same might happen to your group to"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin's brows slowly lower, as he hears the misfortune to befall Annah and her crew. He wouldn't see such a thing come to his own friends, so sympathizes with her and their loss.

"You are kind to sit with us, for your recent hardship. We're grateful to hear your side of the story, as we've already heard Maavu's. We've had our differences, but in this circumstance, I trust your word over that rabble rouser." Kikinnin pushes his shot glass closer to Ryan the Procurer of Bottles.

"Could you recognize the wizard, if you saw him again?" The black beard turns to the blond beard. "The powerful undead- does it sound familiar to you, for what we might face sometime in our near future?"

Kikinnin thinks on the description lent by Annah.

Knowledge(Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

He presses a little further. "What about Todd's body? Did you bring it back to Cauldron?" He debates offering something to lessen the costs of a funeral pyre, but decides that the more well-to-do families that lace the Stormblades will probably grumble if a ratcatcher tries to donate to the deceased.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"The wizard had short black hair. And despite the long neck of his cloak covering partially his face, I do remember his inhuman expression, full of vice like if he was enjoying to see us suffer and die. His eyes where so black as darkness itself, and so they were his lips" Annah negates with her head in horror "Yes, I will remember his face and would recognize him if I see him again. The undead were zombies and wights following his orders"

Annah Taskerhill takes a new sip of wine then stares at the deepness of her cup "We took Todd to the halls of Wee Jass Church. It seems the wizard used a powerful spell known as finger of death to finish Todd which means a higher level of magic will be required to bring him back from death. We have secured the required funds and are waiting for Ike Iverson to be ready to perform the rituals, but it seems its taking him more time than we were expecting"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim ignores the jaundiced eyes of his companions, pouring himself another nip of whiskey as he mulls the information on the wizard and Vanderboren's death.

"Finger o' Death is indeed powerful ju-ju, an' nasty at that... Black eyes an' black lips sound a might too pantomime villain but who knows..."

He knocks back his nip with a satisfied grimace, then pours himself another;

"You Stormers made any powerful enemies? Present company accepted o' course..."

The gun-mage flashes a wry smile;

"How much funds Iverson fleecin' ye for?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Sorry all, need more hours in the day

Ryan listens to Anna's description of the fight as well as Kikinnin's follow-up questions. While trying to remember anything the church may have come up against in the past, meeting that description.

religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Looking at Maxim with a wry grin, Ryan fills Kikinnin's proffered glass.

"Now Maxim, have a care, resurrecting the dead is not for the weak of spirit or faith, nor is it cheap. With the strength Abadar grant's me now I could bring Todd back, however he'd likely have a taste for merchant brains and seeing as you now hold all Maavu's holdings dear, Todd might have a hankering for yours." he finishes with a hard smile and wink "Perhaps Iverson's not fleecing them as much as you think"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim raises his glass with a hard smile;

"Bravo Taskerhill. A good counterpoint indeed... tho' by my reckonin' all kirks an' pulpit prophets are bigger thieves than the Last Laugh themselves! An' as fer if Vanderboren was to rise as a shamblin' brain-eater then I'd say it would be a darned improvement on the sly weasel he is... I mean was o' course."

He knocks back the nip, blinking as the spirits being to bite a little at his senses and sensibilities;

"Now. This necromancer... Seems to me a wielder o' such magics would be known to us... or at least been whispered in rumours an' such. Think o' the Blue Duke an' the like. Ain't no-one comin' to my mind as a pallid, black lipped wielder o' death magics... Nope."

He reaches for the bottle with a lolling nod toward Anna;

"Which means Lady Taskerhill that you an' the Stormers were played. Murderous mummery... Yup."


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ looks shocked.

"Maxim! I'm sure you were brought up better than speaking ill of the dead. And with family present too. Heck, we didn't learn much book stuff in the orphanage, but if Gretchyn taught us one thing, it was our manner.s"

He turns, apologetically to Annah. "If Ike is taking a long time, then could you not provide the funds to Ryan, and let him perform the resurrection?" he asks.

"I mean, I know the donation goes to the gods, so he can't give you a discount or anything, but it would bring Todd back."


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)
JJ wrote:
"If Ike is taking a long time, then could you not provide the funds to Ryan, and let him perform the resurrection?"

Shaking his head, Ryan lays a hand on JJ's shoulder...

"Alas, that is still beyond my skill, if I brought Todd back, he wouldn't be quite right. And definitely not alive"

With my next level that will change, but for now Breath of Life is the best I can do, and I don't believe Todd would qualify as recently deceased per the spell text. - it speaks of rounds, not days :)

Turning back to Anna.

"Whom do you trust the least within Cauldron's current leadership? Something isn't right here."
diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

I was thinking of raise dead, which is only level 5..

"Oh..." says JJ.

"Sorry, I misheard what you said."

He sighs.

"Sorry Annah. Is there anything more you can tell us about the necromancer? Was he human? Any symbols that might give us a clue?"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim frowns at JJ;

"Thanks for the sermon Surabar. I've heard the ol' adage that manners cost nothin'... Hence there's ain't no profit in 'em."

He refills his glass, then fishes out a stogie, lighting it with a tinder-twig before leaning back to listen some more.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Sorry forgot about that one, had looked over the spells after a long day. :) +1 to the ranger


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan:

You do not remember word of any necromancer in Cauldron's region. By what has been explained though, you determine it was an arcane caster rather than a god follower.

"Enemies?" Annah smiles warily at Maxim "You mean aside of yourself?" she negates with her head "I cannot think of anyone in interest to do this. We have only done good to the city. Was perhaps someone concerned we were growing powerful and influential?"

She does not to JJ "Yes, I do think he was human, although there was something weird about him. Something out of place..." she drinks while the rest of the questions are posed "A sign... There was nothing. Well... there was something sewn in his cloak... like an eye crossed by a vertical arrow... but I am not sure, we were fighting..."

"Whom do I trust the least?" Annah considers for a while "The Cauldron guard of course. They have the most reasons to be whiling to stop the Stormblades. They are not very happy a bunch of nobles are able to do their job better and faster than they do" she then sinks her face silently.

Sense Motive DC 25:

Bluff: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25
You notice some other idea that came to her mind has been hidden.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Annah wrote:
"We took Todd to the halls of Wee Jas Church."

Kikinnin doesn't know why it bothers him now. Now that Wee Jas is accused of antagonizing another church here in Cauldron, the black beard is now distrustful of the Cathedral. They weren't able to bring Gemma back, but they did care for her. Only when he brought his søster to St. Cuthbert did she reawaken... It gives him pause.

He raises his glass to Ryan's pour, then turns to Annah. "I heartily recommend bringing your boy to St. Cuthbert. They healed my sister full, and for that, I'll support their healing arts with full lungs."

Annah wrote:
"Enemies? You mean aside of yourself?"/b]

Kikinnin rolls a low Ayyeee-now to both blond beard and haughty cousin, not liking the combativeness of the conversation, but he doesn't turn out his own words in favor of the one or the other just yet.

Annah wrote:
[b]"A sign... There was nothing. Well... there was something sewn in his cloak... like an eye crossed by a vertical arrow... but I am not sure, we were fighting..."

Kikinnin chews on the last of the Oldlaw, while he ruminates about what the symbol could be connected to...

Knowledge(Religion)?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

His eyes draw down on Annah once more, as her face sinks.

Sense Motive v DC 25: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

With little to keep his attention, he turns to the shot glass and sets it down before him, steadying himself a little with the table's edge.

"So, Annah. I know you consider us a coarse crew, but I would suggest that we ally ourselves for the near future. At least as long as we all feel the threat of the Cagewrights and their own cabal. We mean you no ill will. We travel with your cousin, and will see your blood protected. If we learn anything that might benefit you and yours, I hope you and Ryan are on good terms, and will steel your family bond by discussing dire matters."

The black beard waits to hear if there is anything more to learn from Annah here and now, and he begins to wonder where they'll find themselves next, about the city.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Sense Motive(DC25): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (19) + 18 = 37

Ryan watches Anna's face as she answer before looking at the floor. Squatting down before her and blocking the room from her view.

"Anna, there is much good that has come from both the Stormblades and the Watchers, for Cauldron and personal honor. Something bothers you more than the Cauldron guard being upstaged by some nobles. What is it, cousin?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19 Well I hope the previous 2 good rolls (30, 31) will have brought her around to this being convincing

While he waits for Anna's answer, Ryan contemplates the symbol of the eye and arrow

kn:Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
kn:Nobility: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
kn:History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin thinks the sign in the cloak is not religious. Ryan though notices the description matches with the Smoking Eye sign.

"Working together? Don't know... I am actually considering it has come the time to shut down the Stormblades. It's becoming dangerous" she does smile at Kikinnin "We would need to work on some dressing etiquette though if we were working together"

And then in a more serious tone "But yes, we will find out Ryan if we discover anything of relevance"

Ryan has been truly convincing through the whole conversation and though Annah hesitates, she finally closes to him and whispers to his ear, although it is audible to others "It scares me to think so, but... My father never wanted me to become an adventurer... what if this is a call for me to stop it?"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim continues to puff his stogie whilst imbibing the odd nip, and listening to Annah's words.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

He then mulls another scenario, voicing it;

"Irrespective of if we're allies or no... Ah'm wonderin' the possibility that Vanderboren or you Stormers uncovered somethin' or got close to? Mayhap the murder was a warnin' set to cast doubt..."

The gun-mage ships another nip of Oldlaw before continuing;

"What you Stormers been doin' of late? Any particular misadventure spring to mind?"


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Ryan sits back on his heels as Anna speaks aloud about what is worrying her; his hand subconsciously drags across his face as he ponders whether Uncle Ankhin could have orchestrated a hit on his daughter's group to make her stop.

"B-but Anna, what have the Vanderboren's done?..... is it, they have grown too fast and he feels threatened by their family?"

Ryan know his uncle is a businessman and will talk business nearly anytime that it's possible but to stoop this low??


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Nevermind... is all this political stuff is making me paranoid. You are right Ryan, that idea is nonsense" Annah turns once more to Maxim "Well, we were swallowed up by all this business of Redgorge's Siege. We were charged by Cauldron Government to arrest Maavu and bring him back to justice. And before that, we were sent to scout the city lower caverns against a kuo-toa invasion. But before we could find anything we were called back by the riot events in Cauldron"

Annah looks around and as if noticing now she asks "Is your halfling friend not walking with you today?" she takes another sip of the served whiskey and her mood seems to sensibly improve as the alcohol starts to cloud her thoughts.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim cocks a blonde eyebrow at Annah's words;

"Paranoid? Who knows these days... Sounds to me like you Stormers were made busy doin' nothin'... As fir Lil' Miss she's... presently occupied elsewhere. All you need to know.

The gun-mage takes a last shot then nods to his companions;

"All roads point to Cauldron's Government at present. Best we paid 'em a visit like you been suggestin' Likely get answers that pose more questions, but ain't much options left."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Annah gives an awry look to Maxim "Well, what else could we expect..." she finishes the cup and stands up giving a nod to Ryan "Cousin..." then she starts to walk out of the Coy Nixie "It was a delicious night. Take care"

Any ideas on what you want to do next?
You might want to bring back Marigold, visit some more NPC or location to figure out current state of things in town, or perform a discuss scene to hypothesize on what is going on and what is better to do next.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Maxim wrote:
"All roads point to Cauldron's Government at present. Best we paid 'em a visit like you been suggestin' Likely get answers that pose more questions, but ain't much options left."

Kikinnin snorts. "Remember, Bror. We already tried to gain audience with Vhalantru, and the half-orcs prevented us from securing any appointment. If the man wants to speak with us, it'll be on his terms, by the sounds of it."

The black beard stands as Annah departs, a small nagging in the back of his mind prompted by the female's leaving. Kikinnin turns back to his companions. "We should have Marigold here, before things get more complicated. She's been a voice of reason, and may see things below the surface we might be missing." His gloved right hand clasps Ryan's shoulder, thanking him for the oldlaw, and steadying himself while he takes his seat again.

"For my lack of understanding, I suggest we approach the two temples at odds- Pelor and Wee Jas. I know the priest Ike at the Church of Wee Jas. He was the one taking care of Gemma for awhile. Maybe we speak to the offended Church of Pelor first." For his drink, he does wait a moment or two to let his words swish about the Watchers, to see if it sinks in, or spills over.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim listens to his bror puffing on his stogie thoughtfully;

"I know Bror... That's my point exactly. Discord seems to be at the heart o' all this. One guantleted hand o' the Government not knowin' what the other does. Hell's Teeth might be Lord Vhalantru ain't clear on the whole picture! Do we paint it fir him, or show only a few cards o' the hand?"

He nods at the mention of Marigold;

"I concur. Lil' Miss is both savvy an' smart - a burden I can't carry alone with Surabar's heart in romantic novellas an' you two bangin' the pulpit."

The gun-mage chuckles to himself;

"Churches at odds. Merchants run out o' the city. Government in chaos overseein' murders most foul an' scapegoats in gaol. Gods be darned it ain't a pretty picture is it..?"


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)
Kikinnin wrote:
"Remember, Bror. We already tried to gain audience with Vhalantru, and the half-orcs prevented us from securing any appointment. If the man wants to speak with us, it'll be on his terms, by the sounds of it."

Ryan sits back at the table after Anna takes her leave, seeming to stare off into a far corner , that no one occupied.

"Perhaps it wouldn't have to be on his schedule, we've been there and could step into the office again, without going through the front door. Then again we could just look in on them without going at all - Maxim do we still have that mirror?"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks impassively at Ryan, at the suggestion of some sort of scrying on the inner chambers of Vhalantru's office. The feeling he's getting for possibly scrying on a governmental official is uncomfortable, but he's beginning his first doubts of a man who's using half-orcs to keep the public, and governmentally-contracted adventuring parties, from gaining an audience with him. He watches what might take place between Maxim and Ryan.

"If you do this, you may very well be setting us against Vhalantru, for the invasive magics. Just give it some thought, before you decide."

The black beard looks about the Coy Nixie, before returning his attention to those at the table. "I'm ready for what's next, be it your mirror-looking, or our travel to Wee Jas, then Pelor." He looks about, wondering if anyone else in the establishment returns his gaze.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim shakes his head;

"Not to my knowledge Taskerhill. Got sold on to Skie... Reckon we could try an' purchase it back, but to be honest I ain't the scryin' kind. Not my magicking forte."

He finishes his stogie, mulling the next move;

"Setting ourselves up 'gainst Vhalantru ain't a smart play. Not lessen we got an inklin' fir what his game is."

The gun-mage pauses, then continues with a hard edge to his voice;

"There's more to consider. My birth father Dolgrin was taken to the surface by men unknown. Who or fir what purpose I ain't sure, nor rightly care. Might be planning leverage 'gainst me perhaps. Wrong play if it is..."


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ watches the interplay, his head turning from one side to the other as if watching a particularly fast paced kick-ball game.

Finally he offers an observation. "Vhalantru has been good to us. Apart from his guards... who may as well be his prisoners for all we know... we have no reason to be suspicious of him do we?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

As you start talking about Vhalantru and the churches Kikinnin turns around to look at whom is having interest in the group and when he is almost turning back to the table he suddenly notices a man magically disappears at the counter.

Sense Motive:

Bluff: 1d20 ⇒ 10
JJ (+2 humans): 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 1 + 2 = 13
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Maxim: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Ryan: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Initiative:

JJ (+2 urban, +2 underground, +2 jungle, +8 Abyss): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 = 6
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Maxim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Red: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Yellow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Green: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

You do notice two people at the next table cast spells and you hear another one chanting at your back in the counter but cannot see the source.

Despite you notice the out of place casting, you are too surprised for what it follows up. Again, you hear more casting at the counter and both figures at the table start moving super fast. Those man and woman stand up from their chairs, he does draw an enormous greatsword while the woman produces a pebble and casts a spell on it. The people in the tavern start to shout but you cannot hear their screams.
You would find there is an area of silence on effect, so no spoken communication is possible, neither spellcasting with Voice components

No surprise round as you notice the strange movement.
Round 1: Yellow, Red, Green, Maxim, Kikinnin, JJ, Ryan

New map available!


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Opening his mouth to south a warning, the youth is slightly confused that nothing seems to come out. Shrugging, JJ quickly stands Move action, and then moves toward the figure who is threatening Ryan. Even as he does so, his hands move along Alakast, settling into a fighting hold.

And another move action to get into place. Free action to "draw" Alakast while he moves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 1

Status:

AC = 27
HP = 124/124
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = None

As his gaze moves from the man now turned empty seat, to the lunk with the greatsword, Kikinnin slowly realizes that there's an air of silence come down in the vicinity, only when JJ fails to make a sound, which is wholly unnatural.

The black beard is fuzzy about his position, sitting or standing. A bit like a cat in a box, who is both dead and alive, until the box is opened to confirm which state is in fact the case.

If Kikinnin was still in his seat...:

Kikinnin stands, and brings his Axe to his gloved hand. He looks towards the doors, wondering if the patrons of the Coy Nixie will wisely exit the premises for what is sure to be a bloody, close quarters confrontation.

If Kikinnin happened to be standing at the table...:

For the audacity to show their aggression, and their spellcasting, Kikinnin steps to the place at the counter where he last saw the man, now blinked out of sight. He brings his Axe down upon the 'vacant' seat/space, hoping to draw blood against the spellcaster who recently made noise they were still able to hear.

+2 Dwarven Greataxe, two-handed Power Attack: 1d20 + 18 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 18 - 4 = 34 for 1d10 + 5 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 12 = 27 damage
Miss Chance, High Good: 1d100 ⇒ 61

edit:

Confirm Critical?: 1d20 + 18 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 18 - 4 = 32 for 2d10 + 10 + 24 ⇒ (1, 5) + 10 + 24 = 40 damage


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 1 (Ding! Ding!)

As things kick off, Maxim lurches to stand (Move Action), cursing as he goes - only to find himself mute and all sound around him still and quiet despite the discord!

Instinctively the gun-mage draws his pistol (Standard Action)

Current Status:

AC: 21
HP: 79/79
Weapon Equipped: +1 Pistol (Loaded with Bullet & Powder)
Conditions:


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

GMPC Ryan draws his mace while he stands up following the moves from his fellow companions.
Unless you show proof of drinking with shields we will assume those just stand by you somewhere around instead of ready at your forearm ;)

Scared by the drawing of weapons people start to run away from the attackers in all directions trying to find the closest door. The artist in the stage also descends and try to open the kitchen's door.

Without you hearing any casting a burst of freezing coldness explodes in the middle of your table straight killing many commoners that unluckily happen to be in the area, and freezing painfully your skin.
Cold damage: 10d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 2, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 4, 5) = 30
Ref DC 20 for half. Cold vulnerability until end of next turn on failure

The woman walks forward and as she does she seems to fly like if walking in the air of the tavern. She climbs like that until she reaches the top of the ceiling at 10 feet up while she draws a rod from her belt. From there she casts a spell using her rod without apparently needing to say a word and a blast of searing light is projected from the rod over Ryan.
Searing light ray+haste (touch): 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 14 + 1 = 20
Divine magic: 3d8 ⇒ (4, 3, 1) = 8
The light explodes on Ryan's breast whom can do nothing to avoid it.

The man, whom results to be a half-orc as his hood falls off, steps forward over Ryan and starts swinging his greatsword with extreme speed and determined power.
Greatsword+haste-PA: 1d20 + 23 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (10) + 23 + 1 - 3 = 31
Slashing/Magical damage+PA: 2d6 + 18 + 9 ⇒ (5, 2) + 18 + 9 = 34

Iterative: Greatsword+haste-PA: 1d20 + 18 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (15) + 18 + 1 - 3 = 31
Slashing/Magical damage+PA: 2d6 + 18 + 9 ⇒ (3, 5) + 18 + 9 = 35
His first cut opens a wide gash on the cleric's breast, the second one cuts the upper part of his right leg. The half-orc moves up his greatsword, so fast he has still time for a third swing.

If Ryan fails his Ref save vs the cold burst:

After his second slash on the leg, Ryan faints falling down to the tavern's floor. The half-orc turns towards Maxim and swings at him.
Haste: Greatsword+haste-PA: 1d20 + 23 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (17) + 23 + 1 - 3 = 38
Slashing/Magical damage+PA: 2d6 + 18 + 9 ⇒ (6, 1) + 18 + 9 = 34

Haste: Critical?: 1d20 + 23 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 23 + 1 - 3 = 40
Slashing/Magical damage+PA: 2d6 + 18 + 9 ⇒ (6, 2) + 18 + 9 = 35
The half-orc seems an expert finding weak spots with his weapon and the dwarf is unable to stop the sword that cuts his neck opening a mortal wound. Does Maxim lose balance and drop to the floor while the blood floods everywhere? Or does he hold his stand? That depends on whether the heroes evasion allows him to skip the coldness burst at all.

If Ryan passes his Ref save vs the cold burst:

Haste: Greatsword+haste-PA: 1d20 + 23 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (7) + 23 + 1 - 3 = 28
Slashing/Magical damage+PA: 2d6 + 18 + 9 ⇒ (4, 5) + 18 + 9 = 36
The half-orc ends up Ryan with a tremendous stab of his greastword that goes through the man's belly and juts out from the back.

Ryan falls down to the tavern's floor dead.

Perception DC 21:

You do notice someone invisible moving the chair in the counter close to Kikinnin.
The red dot next to the counter in the map

JJ: 75 or 90/105 hp
Kikinnin: 94 or 109/124 hp
Maxim: -20 or 10 or 49 or 79/79 hp
Ryan: -6 or -27/101 hp
Round 2: Yellow, Red, Green, Maxim, Kikinnin, JJ, Ryan

Remember there is a 20' radius silence area around the woman. No Verbal component or communication can be done


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
JJ evades the worst of the blast of cold with a degree of ease.
percpetion: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 16 + 2 = 22

He quickly steps to the side and directs a series of rapid blows at the deadly half orc and his nasty looking greatsword. He notices the figure on the chair near Kikinnin, but when he calls out, silence is all that comes from his mouth.

Hmm, might be best if we finish this swordsman first. he silently admits to himself.

His own series of blows is rapid, but perhaps not as effective as he might have wished.

Why do I feel like a toddler raining blows on their father who just ignores them?

TWF:

Extra +2 to hit and damage from FE (human) - counts vs half orcs
Extra +2 to hit from flanking
primary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 20 - 2 + 4 = 29
TWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 20 - 2 + 4 = 35
secondary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 14 - 2 + 4 = 25
ITWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 14 - 2 + 4 = 20
tertiary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 9 - 2 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 2 + 4 = 24
primary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 2 = 13
TWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8
secondary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 = 12
ITWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11
tertiary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 2 = 13


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 2

DC20 Reflex Save: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20 Whew!

As the cold blasts the Watchers and commoners alike, the canny dwarf manages to avoid its frigid threat with ne'er a coating on rime on his whiskers...

Holding off on further actions pending Ryan's - as they'll have implications for Maxim


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 2

Status:

AC = 27
HP = 109/124
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = None

Reflex Save v DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21 Chuckle

For his slightly tipsy state, Kikinnin bends in enough places to water down the blasted freeze. Praise Abadar the Oldlaw made me pliable. The priest musta known what was to come.

The black beard watches in silent horror as his friends fall prey to the half-orc's blade. For Ryan's luck, or lack thereof, Kikinnin also lets his actions slowly come to bear upon the situation...

Also Delay, as Kikinnin might turn Channeler for the round, or not.

8,901 to 8,950 of 10,393 << first < prev | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.