The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


5,501 to 5,550 of 10,433 << first < prev | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | next > last >>

HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 5/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 3/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"Wh-what do you th-think it is?" Marigold whispers, looking anxious. [smaller]"W-We were near lava in the d-duergar hideout, r-right? Wh-what if there's m-more? M-Maybe if we're not c-careful we'll f-fall through the floor and b-burn to a crisp!"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

At Kikinnin's sharp eye Maxim checks his new double barreled pistol; loading it with shot and powder.

As he does so, the gun-mage shoots a hard glance ahead and mutters an aside to Marigold;

"Ain't rightly sure on its nature Lil' Miss. Down here - most likely it ain't benign..."

At the Oracle's concern he nods toward Kikinnin and JJ with a wry grin;

"Yup. We could get fried good an' proper... That's why those two always go first!"

If he has time Maxim will also use a charge of his Wand of Mage Armour (47 charges remaining)


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

"LET's not borrow that trouble quite yet, granted it would be prudent to investigate what is ahead, carefully." Ryan comments moving up behind Marigold and Kikinnin, chuckling as Maxim takes a parting shot at their point men.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The group takes a cautious approach, casting protective spells and advancing slowly to avoid being discovered or inadvertently falling on a lava vent. As the Cauldron Watchers reach the end of the tunnel, you do discover a large cavern full of fluorescent crystals that extends for a couple of miles at least. The cavern is dimly iluminated thanks to the natural iridescence of the crystals.

In one extreme you appreciate what seems the ruins of a hut burned down to ashes. Around the ruins a fence of stone marks the perimeter of the place. The fence have been crudely painted to look as if it were made of brick and mortar. Four thick stone posts have been driven into the ground at each corner of the fence simulating stone towers.

Landed next to the cinders of the hut stands a large Red Dragon that has cornered an old man against two large rocks. The dragon is talking to him in Draconic "შეაჩერე თქვენი სისულელე უფროსი, სად არის დორალოს ლარის შესასვლელი?"

Draconic:

"Stop your nonsense elder. Where is the entrance to Dhorlot's lair?"

Sense Motive DC 10:

The tone is demanding, angry, impatient and frustrated.

Perception DC 25:

The dragon seems to have multiple recent wounds all along its breast and wings. A Heal check might reveal their nature

A crown of cruel horns surrounds the head of the mighty dragon. Thick scales the color of molten rock cover its long body.

K. arcana DC 19:

Red dragons are fearful and cruel. Probably the most powerful of chromatic dragons. They all are immune to fire, paralysis and sleep but weak to cold. They have a fearful fire breathing weapon and can cast some defensive spells.

The dragon seems to focused on the elder to notice you, or he just considers you little less than cavern atrezzo insects to care about you.

Jared's hut map available!
You are all free to act, but restrict your actions to 1 round in case that matters.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 5/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 3/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

Perception (DC 25): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Kn. Arcana (DC 19): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Marigold stops and her jaw drops at the sight of the dragon. A beautiful, majestic sight...but also terrifying, perhaps even more so than the purple worm they'd faced only days before.

"D-dragon! A red d-dragon!" she squeaks, stating the obvious. "C-Cruel beings...f-fire, p-paralysis, and s-sleep enchantments j-just bounce off their hides! C-Coldness is their weakness b-but they can cast sp-spells and b-breath fire to d-defend themselves!"
______

Sharing this information is all that Marigold will do for the moment.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Sense Motive v DC 10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Kikinnin takes in the sight, dragon hovering over old man, and doesn't give it much more thought. "Be prepared. It'll take off, soon as I have my Axe buried into its hide." Swift Action- Smite Evil

"Bror, would you have that mighty magic at hand? Think I'll be needing it." The black-beard waits just long enough to determine if Maxim's got the Strength of the Bull up his sleeve, before he approaches the large dragon and small old man. Move action- 20' closer.

"Jared? Jared, is that you? You've gotten old! Looks like you've got company. Care to introduce us to your big, red friend?"

Far, you there? There's a nasty red, here, and I could use all the help I can get. Wouldn't ask if I thought it wasn't strongly considered.

Standard Action- Divine Bond, +1 to Axe for 7 minutes.

Kikinnin's Axe glows brightly, like a torch, and he waves it happily to his old acquaintance. At least, that's what he hopes he conveys.

GM Rutseg:

Bluff, if needed: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Not trying to appear Harmless, as that would require a Full Round of Actions to attempt :), and also not sure if the Bluff is likely to confuse the old man, Jared, if that's who he be :)


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Did we finish healing up on the travel over the last day?
sense motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31
heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

"The dragon is wounded. Look closely." whispers JJ to the others.

"How did a dragon get down here though? We are miles under-ground."

After a worried moment he adds "I don't suppose either of you can make me immune to fire as well?"

hmm.. wait a moment..

He quickly pulls a bottle out of his pouch, checks the label, and has it ready in case things go south.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

perception(DC25): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Ryan is momentarily stunned by the view of a red dragon being found down here; but JJ's words bring him back to the here and now studying the dragon's wounds closely.

heal: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

"That looks like he's been in a fight with....."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

sense motive, dc 10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
perception, dc 25: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
knowledge (arcana), dc 19: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

"No idea how a dragon like that got down here either."
"Looks like he's demanding to know about the entrance to Dhorlot's lair."
"Wherever or whatever that is."
"And the old boy he's cornered must be Crazy Jared."
"But that dragon doesn't have special protection against my acid magic either."
"Since the dragon is wounded, our best bet would be to hit it hard all at once."

--------------------

BEFORE JJ and Kikinnin advance:
Juraan will try to give JJ and Kikinnin some protection against fire:

« აღუდგეს ცეცხლს » . . "resist energy (fire)", in draconic; on JJ
« אַנטקעגנשטעלנ זיך פייַער » . . "resist energy (fire)", in terran; on Kikinnin

"There! You should have some protection against fire."
"Just be careful. You won't be immune to fire!"

@ JJ & Kikinnin: you both have Resist Fire 10 for an hour.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan:
The dragon has claw and acid marks in his scaled skin. They are recent. Perhaps a few hours at most.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
The dragon turns his neck to look directly at you when he sees Kikinnin's sword starting to glow and identifies Juraan's spell. It snorts "Bad timed company..."

Crazy Jared raises then a rod in his hands while he yells "Onward, my knights! For Anduria!" all of a sudden he garbs himself in robes fit for a king.

Initiative:

JJ: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Marigold: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Maxim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Juraan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Foes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

JJ: Fire resistance
Round 1: JJ, Ryan, Dragon, Marigold, Juraan, Maxim, Kikinnin

@JJ I understand you fully healed during the last night.
@Maxim, you have an opportunity to react to the initial approach post as the others


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Initial Approach

Maxim scowls listening to the others appraisal of the dragon and the situation before them.

"Hell's Teeth! Makes you wonder what the red wyrm's been tusslin' with?"

At Kikinnin's query he nods, keeping his eyes on the mighty wyrm as he enbues his bror's strength;

(Casts Bulls Strength on Kikinnin) - +4 STR for 5 minutes duration


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Hmm thought about the reply to this, apparently didn't hit send

"Dunno Maxim but it dealt acid and claw aplenty, another dragon?" Ryan muses at the size of the creature. "As for how it got here JJ, lets worry about that a bit later, Abadar grant this one your strength."

Touching JJ's shoulder Ryan blesses the swordsman with the strength of a bull as well.

(Cast Bulls Strength on JJ) - +4 STR for 6 minutes duration


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Empowered by the magic of Ryan and Maxim, JJ surges forward.

"Umnm, how about not frying the hermit? We were hoping to talk with him..." says the brash young man, with both his blades drawn.

Double moves up, won't get a chance to strike,


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

@ GM Rusteg:
Does the destroyed shack in the middle obstruct line of sight?
For things like ranged weapons, etcetera.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"You dare to draw a sword at me human?" the dragon seems to laugh at the idea, starts to swing his wings, raising into the air five feet while letting the wings hit JJ as much as possible.
wings: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
B damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
wings: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
B damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

The dragon continues then with a hell of claws and bites over the boy.
claws: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27
B damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
claws: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33
B damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

bite: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (9) + 17 = 26
B damage: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (2, 6) + 10 = 18
tail: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
The red dragon is a fury, claws, wings and jaws tearing JJ all over. The boy barely resists to stand in front of such a mighty foe.

Crazy Jared raises his voice singing "♪♫♬ And the blonde knight of the two blades jumped over the mighty dragon. It did not matter how many times the dragon kicked and punch. The shiny hair and the shiny blades did not blood enough! The brave knight in face of the dragon stood to save his king! ♪♫♬"
+2 to hit/damage, +2 vs charm and fear

Buffs: Inspire courage +2
JJ: 3/59 hp Fire resistance, bull strength
Round 1: Dragon, Marigold, Juraan, Maxim, Kikinnin, Round 2: JJ, Ryan

@Juraan, yes, it obstructs like normal cover, and they are aflame.
Staying next to the burning hut is a bad idea as they cause fire damage.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 1

Maxim watches in awe as the great wyrm rends into JJ;

With a scowl he bellows toward Juraan;

"Dracblood! We need to parley with this thing... this ain't no crawlin' worm - it'll butcher or burn us all!"

He moves forward into the ruins (20ft Move)

"Bror! Get to the Old timer! We got him we got leverage!"

The gun-mage moves forward again further to get a better angle for a shot (20ft Move)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1
GM Rutseg wrote:

@Juraan, yes, it obstructs like normal cover, and they are aflame.

Staying next to the burning hut is a bad idea as they cause fire damage.

Thanks! Needed an idea how to move about there.

--------------------

Round 1
Juraan moves behind Kikinnin and casts a spell to take the dragon's attention from JJ: « זויער אָנכאַפּן » . . "shocking grasp (acid)", in Terran
Modified by reach spell feat, range medium (+2), cast as a third level spell
shocking grasp (acid): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 2 = 14
damage: 5d6 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 2, 5, 5) + 5 + 2 = 29
ranged touch, including Jared's performance bonus

And then tries to parlay with the dragon to buy JJ some time:
« მძლავრი დრაკონი! რატომ ხარ აქ »
« ჩვენ არ გვსურდა აქ ბრძოლაში. »
« რატომ დამარხავთ ჩვენი მეგობარი? »

draconic:
"Mighty Dragon, Stop! Why are you here?"
"We didn't come here to fight you."
"Why do you attack our friend?"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 1

Status:

AC = 23
HP = 74/74
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe (Divine Bond)
Condition(s) = Bull's Strength, Divine Bond, Smite Evil, Inspiration

Kikinnin flinches as JJ runs headlong at the Red, his mind suffering the Purple all over again, as the large creature almost beats the boy completely to death. The dwarf hesitates, clearing himself around the flaming hut, and stepping forward just enough to reach JJ with Abadar's healing burst. Channel Positive Energy

4d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 4, 3) = 19 healing, hopefully to Crazy Jared, as well

"Damn your rashness, boy. You're going to get yourself killed, letting the dragon level its full set of swings on you all at once!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Yes, well... I've not met one before..." sighs JJ.

"But I too have claws!"

And he does his best to use them.

attack,TWF,BS,inspire,flank: 1d20 + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 21
TWF attack,TWF,BS,inspire,flank: 1d20 + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 36
iterative,TWF,BS,inspire,flank: 1d20 + 8 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 28
ITWF attack,TWF,BS,inspire,flank: 1d20 + 8 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 8 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 25

His own blood spreads out over the blasted area, burning a bright blue against the hellish colour of the dragon.

LOH: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 2) = 8

"Hey, this guy just called me a knight! I like him."

damage #1, no idea which hit,inspire,BS: 1d6 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 10
damage #2, no idea which hit,inspire,BS: 1d6 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11
damage #3, no idea which hit,inspire,BS: 1d6 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 15
damage #4, no idea which hit,inspire,BS: 1d6 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11

crit confirm: 1d20 + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 13 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 19
bonus damage, inspire,BS: 1d6 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 8

"I didn't come here to fight you dragon, just to show you can't simply take what you want. But fight I will if you give me no option. I suggest you begone and don't come back."

Hmm, looking at that map, I suspect JJ doesn't get flank, so probably subtract two from those to-hit numbers.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 5/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 3/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

If she had the time or the extra arms, Marigold would face-palm a dozen times over. JJ seemed surprised to have been greeted with a flurry of teeth, claws, and wings. She couldn't really fault the dragon for defending himself, even if he was a wicked and cruel beast.

You went charging with swords drawn, what did you expect!?

She hustles as fast as her little legs will carry her, circling around the opposite side of the burning hut.

"ಅವರು ನಮ್ಮನ್ನು ಜ್ವಾಲೆಯ ಉಸಿರಾಟದ ಮೂಲಕ ಕುಕ್ಸ್ ಮಾಡುವ ಮೊದಲು ಹರಡಿಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ!" she bellows.

Celestial:

"Spread out before he cooks us all with his flame breath!"

______

Marigold double-moves to her current position.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Maxim approaches, readying his gun.

Juraan casts a spell, a crackling acid ray flies to the wyrm and shocks it causing it great pain.

Kikinnin raises his Abadar symbol and channels healing magic to save JJ.

The boy gets all his confidence on beating down the dragon, trying his best with his swords. The dragon seems surprised as the swords stab it all occasions but the first one.

Marigold quickly spreads moving through the other side of the hut.

The dragon loses its smiles and looks much more serious at JJ "So now you want to kill the Great Gotrod? You do deserve a lesson human" and throws its mouth towards him.
bite: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
B damage: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (2, 2) + 10 = 14
Critical?: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36
B damage: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (4, 4) + 10 = 18
The bite is terrible, twisting JJ's neck in a near impossible way. The boy collapses to the floor immediately.

As his nearest opposition falls the dragon starts swinging his wings with more strength, slowly gaining height, performing a half round around the hut to earn height, reaching the 65' while starting to turn towards the party.

Jared keeps singing "♪♫♬ The knight swings seemed like the wind, cutting and opening gash after gash on the malefic dragon! ♪♫♬ The clerics raised the blessings of the gods on the knight who faced the terrible beast! ♪♫♬ Acid rays crossed the battlefield like an earthquake crackling the world! ♪♫♬ But the mighty evil beast had no respect for the kings knight who just defended his King! ♪♫♬ Come to me knights of Anduria! Follow the legends of the beast defeated! ♪♫♬"

Red dragon: 66 damage
Buffs: Inspire courage +2
JJ: -2/59 hp Fire resistance, bull strength
Round 2: Dragon, Marigold, Juraan, Maxim, Kikinnin, Round 3: JJ, Ryan (x2)


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 2

Status:

AC = 26 (Smite)
HP = 74/74
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Bull's Strength, Divine Bond, Smite Evil, Inspiration

Kikinnin begrudgingly gets closer to Crazy Jared, unsure which direction the fire will come, but come, it will.

Circling around the burning hut, the black-beard looks over his weapon, praying. Abadar, if I get the chance to exchange slashes with that goliath, please let my blade dig deep. I may only get to do it once.

Cast Bless Weapon


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ's body twitches on the ground as it frantically tries to stop the flood of life blood.

stabilise: 1d20 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (13) + 1 - 3 = 11


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Round 2
Juraan moves toward Kikinnin again and casts a spellthe same spell toward Gotrod: « მჟავა დაჯექი » . . "shocking grasp (acid)", in draconic
Again, cast using reach spell, max range of 160 ft, which should be more than enough to reach the dragon at its height

shocking grasp (acid): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 2 = 28
confirm critical: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 2 = 26
damage: 10d6 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (5, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 1, 6, 2, 4) + 10 + 2 = 43
ranged touch, including Jared's performance bonus

Realizing he cast his spell with pin-point precision, Juraan can't help but shout "HA!"
"Shensen has sent Desna's Blessings to me, I'm sure of it!"

Emboldened by Desna's good graces, he tries casting the same spell again: « זויער אָנכאַפּן » . . "shocking grasp (acid)", in terran
@ GM Rusteg: using Juraan's only Hero Point to cast the spell a second time this round.

shocking grasp (acid): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 2 = 19
damage: 5d6 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (5, 3, 2, 4, 2) + 5 + 2 = 23
including Jared's Inspire Courage

Wow!!
That's the second critical hit with that spell and reach spell feat!
How jammy is that?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Nicely done. I just hope he doesn't land on JJ!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

No kidding! If that actually knocks Gotrod down, he ought not fall on anyone (hopefully).
Talking about getting good rolls when you really need some!
The Reach Spell metamagic feat was definitely a good investment.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 3 Buffs/Conditions: Inspire Courage (+2 attacks, damage & saves vs fear)

Grim-faced as the attempts to parley with the wyrm go south, Maxim shifts to get better line of sight (20ft Move)

"God's be damned! Someone attend to Surabar afore it roasts the tenderised meat!"

He then raises his pistol and unleashes a spell via one its barrels;

(Casting Lighting Bolt - Standard Action. Spell has 120ft line range)

"Bliksem!" (Gnome: Lighting Bolt)

A streak of electrical energy blasts forth at the hovering red wyrm;

Lighting Bolt Damage: 5d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 6, 6, 6) + 2 = 27 (DC16 Reflex Save for 1/2)


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan shots his crossbow at the flying beast, failing to land his bolt in the tough scales.

Kikinnin advances towards JJ calling for the blessings of Judge of the Gods in his sword.

Ryan moves very close to the fallen boy, and raising his symbol, channels Abadar's energies quickly closing his wounds.
Channel energy: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 6) = 15
The boy stabilizes and recovers consciousness.

Juraan conjures with both hands, barely sending two crackling rays of acid magic over the cinder ruins of Jared's hut. The first one impacts on the dragon's head washing his scales into burning acid, while the other hits in the breast.

The rays are synchronized with Maxim's triggering of his pistol. An electrical bolt fills the cavern with light that make the strange gems around to shimmer.
Ref DC 16: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
The dragon opens his mouth and stops swinging his wings in the air.

The combined force of acid and electricity is enough to kill the dragon in the air. The inertia makes the dragon to continue his fly straight, while his wings make his fall slightly slower than a falling stone. It breaks several stalagmites and stalactites in its uncontrolled descend, to finally bury its body several feet to the East.

Combat is over!

Red dragon: 159 damage
JJ: 13/59 hp Fire resistance, bull strength

Jared smiles wide and forces his back erected "Thanks my knights!" there is a clear imperious tone in his voice. "Behold the peaceable realm of Anduria! Have you seen a land more beauteous?" he raises his hand and all of a sudden the cavern transforms in front of your eyes becoming verdant, sun-dappled rolling hills covered with ready-for-harvest vineyards and dotted with stands of flowering trees.

Spellcraft DC 19:


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

As the great wyrm comes crashing down, Maxim shakes his head and holsters his pistol;

"We're gettin' a might too cocky... Wyrm like that could've done for us..."

As the mad hermit extols the virtues of the revealed realm, the gun-mage eyes the scene with a skeptical eye...

DC19 Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

... before once again shaking his head and whispering an aside to those near him;

"Anduria ain't really there. Powerful illusion that's all... As mad as a bag o' jinkin this one!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

After letting out a cheer with Gotrod's death, Juraan turns to Maxim:
"We ought not complain, Maxim. Gotrod's dead and we're not."
"At least we can now rightfully call ourselves Worm and Wyrm slayers."
"I doubt our good friends, the Storm Blades, can say the same."
"And before we leave here, I want to collect some of Gotrod's scales."
"Perhaps even a tooth or claw or two."
"Proof that we have one up on the Storm Blades!"

He then whispers to Maxim: "Won't hurt to humour him. You have to admit, though, he does have impressive skills."

Juraan then bows to Jared:
"Greetings, Noble Jared. We're glad to be of assistance."
"We travelled a long road to reach your realm."
"We are looking for Zenith, a noble dwarf enslaved by some Kuo Toa."
"We were told you might help us find and free him."
"But I am curious. How did Gotrod get here?"
"And what is this Dhorlot's lair he was looking for?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared seems displeased by the way Juraan refers to him "You should refer to me as 'Your Majesty King Jared IV', but I will dismiss the fault this time for your services to the realm"

"Although I do remember a dwarf called Zenith it has been many years ago since he passed through my realm. He marched with his army into deeper lands looking to take a noble crusade over the fears that menace our lands" Jared looks to the mountains at the West "I have no idea where he departed to after crossing the western mountains of Anduria, but if he has not return to his homeland I can only guess he has ended up in the hands of my archenemy, the demon-queen of Kheltos"

K. geography DC 10:
You have never heard of a realm named Kheltos.
>=DC 20:

You are certain there is no realm named Kheltos.

"As about Gotrrod, he arrived from the mountains to the North. After some initial fly I can only guess suited to scare our realm, he brought my palace to cinders" Jared points to the hut now depicting as a massive worked stone ruin "He was insistent to know about Dhorlot's lair, a rival dragon I guess. But I do not know anything about him either"

"Fortunately my knights came to the call of his King and showed the beast the strength of Anduria. But came, you must be hungry" with a movement of his hand a long table appears with all kinds of viands, fruits and wines.

Spellcraft DC 16:

The table, chairs and food are product of a well done silent image spell.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim scowls at Juraan's offhand dismissal of his concerns. The dwur fishes out a cigar and lights up with a shrug of his shoulders;

"Fine. See me as frettin'... We're goin' to the well too often fer my tastes an' we're gonna come up dry one day..."

The gun-mage taps his own pack;

"Dragon-fire scorches me... an' all my black powder? Hell's Teeth I'll go up like a firework at a festival. Likely take who ever's next to me with me! But we'll die heroes an wyrm slayers so why worry so..."

The dwur shakes his head again as Jared's mad waffling continues.

"Aye Professor. He's got a mighty impressive line in de-lusional an' fanciful tales right enough."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin watches as the dragon is burned out of the sky before it has a chance to burn them all. He looks down on his blade, shrugging, then sheathing it.

When Juraan takes the epic moment, and turns it into mere bragging rights over the unimportant Storm Blades, the black-beard spits onto the ground, and shakes his head. Is that the true measure of the professor, then? He lets hubris suckle at his teat like a wetnurse. Mark him, and make sure his voice is not representative of them all.

When Maxim grumbles out loud to Juraan, Kikinnin simply nods, and adds none of his own thoughts, though he does come to stand alongside his fellow dwur.

Whispered Dwarven to Maxim:

"I'm starting to think everyone with a name starting in 'J' has some kind of addled mind. Crotch-rot, is my guess. Professor's old enough he's probably found ways to conceal it. Not sure what JJ's excuse is. Or Jared's for that matter."

When Jared starts to live up to his name, Kikinnin quietly fumes. He wasn't expecting to sift through the jibber-jabber for nuggets of truth. He waits for the others to question the old man. The black-beard is not up to snuff for polite talk just now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Admiringly Ryan watches as Juraan and Maxim combine to fell the dragon in short work. "Bravo, gentlemen. Juraan remind me never to shake hands with you again." He says with a nod and a wink.

With a sigh he turns back to JJ, "Well let's see if we can't put our swordsman back together ... again... Surabar, have you ever heard the word restraint?" Checking the young man over Ryan shakes his head at the damage still remaining.

"Abadar, this one who has more bravado than sense, needs healing once more."

Cure Serious Wounds(converted from Magic Vestment): 3d8 + 6 ⇒ (2, 1, 1) + 6 = 10 Obviously Abadar expects people to have more sense ^.^

Overhearing Juraan's comment about the Storm Blades, Ryan laughs loudly."Professor, the ways of those noble bastards are beyond your understanding it appears. For should you present small tokens of the worm and this dragon, they will simply ask for your witnesses, and who are they? Two orphans, a ratcatcher, a smuggler, and my own noble blood they claim diluted by my service to the church. So in their eyes you didn't DO anything. Don't waste your breath or time trying to prove anything to them."

For the moment Ryan is too frustrated to notice their host inane jabbering


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

geography: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

A weary and sore JJ climbs to his feet.

"Kheltos? I don't believe I have heard of that land your magesty. I must say this place is a darn sight more cheerful than it was at first appearance."

He nods his thanks to Ryan.

"Restraint? Isn't that what the dwarves put on our wrists? And I was restrained. I didn't strike the dragon until he struck at me first. "

He almost glows.

"Did you see that? Toe to toe with a dragon. That was awesome!"

He winces as he wounds still pain him considerably.

"Although to be fair it would have been distinctly less awesome without you guys covering my back."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

"Apologies, Your Majesty", says Juraan with gritted teeth.
"I'm not feeling hungry at the moment, so I'm afraid I'll give the food a miss."
"Crazy as a s#~$-house rat, this one!"
But makes a mental note of the direction Jared indicated that Zenith had gone.

"We should enjoy our good fortune while it lasts," Juraan says to Maxim.
"I know full well how badly things could have gone for us."
"JJ was near death's door, amongst other things."
"AND we were very lucky indeed that Gotrod was already badly injured."

Then he looks at Kikinnin with a smile.
« Der er ikke noget galt med min høring. Bare troede, jeg ville nævne det. »

Dwarven:
"There's nothing wrong with my hearing. Just thought I'd mention it."

Then looking in the direction of where Gotrod fell:
"Who would like to help me inspect Gotrod's remains?"
"I think it might be worth a look to see what could have injured him."
"Maybe something we'll have to deal with later."
"Prying a few mementos from his remains would be a bit of a bonus."
"Not just for bragging rights."
"Genuine dragon parts should command a pretty penny with some of Cauldron's well-heeled citizens."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 5/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 3/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

Kn. Geography: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"Um...th-thank you, your M-Majesty, for this f-fine f-feast," Marigold responds with a bow, deciding it'd be best to continue humoring the crazy man. She even makes a show of eating an 'apple' (in actuality a rock) but quickly tucks it into her pocket when he's not looking. "C-Can you tell us, p-please, what sort of d-dangers lie to the w-west?"

I wonder what's addled this poor fellow so? Age, loneliness, or something else?

Unable to help herself, she surreptitiously attempts to scan Crazy Jared for any sign of injuries or other oddities.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared looks delighted as Marigold eats the apple "To the west? That is broad too general Lady. Is it there some place in particular you look for?"

Marigold:

You sense Jared is not trying to fool you, his castings and tricks are done fully in the open. But he is fooling himself. He seems living in a delusion. He is just a hermit in a thatched hut, but in his mind, he truly is a head of state, serving the brave and doughty yeomen of his realm.

Juraan:

You will find no gear on Gortrrod's body, but you can get some scales and a large tooth that will easily be used to craft a collar.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Juraan comes back from examining Gotrod's body.

"I found no marks of weapons on Gotrod."
"So whoever or whatever fought him probably used magic."
"Nothing of value on him either."
"I did take a few scales and a tooth, though."
"It's not every day that you can get that sort of thing."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Ryan wrote:
"Professor, the ways of those noble bastards are beyond your understanding it appears... Don't waste your breath or time trying to prove anything to them."

Kikinnin listens to the priest, while watching Crazy Jared go through his motions. Man's got the right of it, but Juraan's his own man, and can do as he pleases. If he wants to please the Storm Blades, that's his drink, like pleasing the ladies is JJ's.

Juraan wrote:
"Der er ikke..."

"Det var ikke din hørsel jeg var spørsmålet, Lærer." Kikinnin doesn't return Juraan's smile.

Dwarven:

"It wasn't your hearing I was questioning, Professor."

The black-beard turns his attention fully on Marigold and Crazy Jared, hoping the halfling is able to parse out actionable intelligence.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim too remains stoney faced at the crazy hermits actions;

Maybe I'm being too tough on the old coot. Maybe Ol' Hackbus would've ended up like him - screws loose and marbles lost...

He then shakes his head and puffs on his stogie as he thinks aloud;

"Nah. Hack ain't weak in the nut like this one..."

Like his bror the gun-mage chooses to hang back and let the oracle do the talking, only breaking from his watch to shoot JJ a look when he calls the Duergar "dwarves";

"Surabar. Mind the generality o' yer words lad. Them dvergr ain't dwur. Dwur didn't shackle us. Dvergr did. Have a mind on that afore ye offend someone with a beard an' mood darker than mine..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Do you think a scale on the front and back of my armour would look good?" Asks JJ.

"b[]Imagine wearing dragon hide armour. Now that would be pretty impressive. Do you think we could get a few more bits into one of our bags?[/b]"

He turns to the "king"

"Where is this fabled land of Kheltos?"

He gives Maxim a nod. "But you lot are all cousins aren't you? I mean like, folk from Cauldron are not quite the same as those from Red Gorge, but we're all human. Well, apart from those who are dwarves. Or halflings. Or gnomes. Well, you know what I mean."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Juraan shrugs at Kikinnin. "Everyone's got foibles. Makes life interesting."

"There's a thought, JJ. Dragon-hide armour. Probably requires quite a bit of hide and scales, though."

GM Rusteg:

How long would it take to get enough scales or hides of the ex-dragon Gotrod to make a suit or two of armour?
As a rough guess. Just want to know if it would further delay us or not.
And/or if the dead dragon's hide and scales would still be intact when we come back this way again.
Juraan would probably like to get enough dragon hide and scales to make m.w. hide armour for himself later on.
And probably enough to make a buckler for now.

knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Just in case Juraan needs that to formulate a cunning plan re dragon hide


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared turns to JJ and looks at him with wide eyes for a second, then answers "Kheltos threatens Anduria from North and South. Only my determined leadership is holding the country against such a terrible menace"

Juraan:

Actually you found slashing wounds and acid burnings all along the skin, in addition to multiple broken bones.

It would take less than an hour to cut enough material for a buckler provided proper tools and knowledge (Profession skinner).
For cutting the whole skin of a dragon that size will a full work day to a professional.
Juraan has no idea if the material can be spoiled by when the group returns, as he has no idea when that will occur, but most probably a couple of days won't hurt. Indefenetly if under a gentle repose spell.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Edit: backing up, re Juraan's inspection of Gotrod's body

" … Gotrod was evidently in quite the battle before we killed him."
"A great many slashes, acid burns, and broken bones."
"Whatever Godtrod fought was, or is, formidable."
"We should be wary. In case whatever Gotrod fought is still alive."

--------------------

Returning to the present …

"Ryan! Can you cast one of those repose spells I heard of?"
"To keep Gotrod's remains from going off?"
"So we can harvest scales and hide later."
"Trying to do that now would take even more time away from our quest to find Zenith."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

"Hmph? what ... oh yeah. Sorry, I was distracted I do have one prepared and strangely enough I don't think I'm going to have to use it on JJ, at least not today." Ryan answers, smiling towards the end at the good-natured barb sent JJ's way. "It should hold it a week or so."

Ryan will follow Juraan back to the crash site and perform the spell.

Sorry been pre-occupied this weekend with preperations


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 5/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 3/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"Um...w-well, you s-said Z-Zenith went to the w-west, right? Wh-What m-might he have encountered f-first?" Marigold asks.

"He's r-really a few b-bricks shy of a load," Marigold whispers to the others. "B-But it's n-not malicious...he r-really thinks he's the k-king of these l-lands..." she explains, shaking her head. "How s-sad..."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Jared thinks for a long long while "Well, there is the Ocean of Artlis, but if he went a bit to that other west, there is the Org-Klathan, the large chasm, and if he went a bit more on that direction it is Ken Othak, but if going first through there is Prinktonklan, and well there it is said to be Loron Kralk" the man looks confused "How did you know Zenith came this way? Can you not do just the same to know where he is? Although I fear the demon-queen probably killed him already. He seemed the kind able to die before letting himself fall prisoner"

"What place exactly are you looking for? I know my realm thoroughly, I might be of help"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

"His father gave us a map, Crazy... uh, Your Majesty... um... King Jared... ... the fourth. His father was very determined for us to find him, and spent coin to bring strong magics to locate his boy, and all we have is a measly map to point us in the general direction. Uh, Your Majesty."

Kikinnin produces the Map, and gives it to Crazy Majesty Jared King.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Juraan starts taking down notes about Jared's geography lesson, and whispers to Marigold:
"Hopefully, his landmarks will correspond with what's on our map."
"At least he knows something about Zenith, which is a start."

GM Rusteg:
While taking notes, Juraan will send another quick mental note to Meerthan.
Using colour to distinguish it from normal conversation or thinking formats:
[color=magenta]We are well and mostly back on track to finding Zenith.
We found Crazy Jared; he has gone rather strange living down here all alone.
He was also being threatened by Gotrod, a red dragon, when we got here.
Desna was kind to us. Gotrod was already badly injured and we prevailed.
Although it was a very near thing for JJ.
It's a mystery to us how Gotrod got here and who or what could have injured him first.
Likely an acid breathing dragon, near as I can tell.
Gotrod wanted Jared to tell him where Dhorlot's lair was when we got here.
But neither Jared nor us know anything about a 'Dhorlot'.
We're currently trying to make sense of Jarend's interesting notions of geography.
[/color]

5,501 to 5,550 of 10,433 << first < prev | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.