The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


5,251 to 5,300 of 10,419 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>

Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin moves towards the storage room, shifting his torso uncomfortably in the new chainmail. His speed in chain seems no different than the full plate, but he won't be himself until he's turtled up in his family armor.

Warhammer at his side, he allows his dwarven vision to slip beyond the limits of the light sources, hoping to get the jump on those trying to get the jump on them. Moved up on map, tentatively

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim smiles back at the eccentric gnome as he arms himself with a warhammer.

"What about your own gear Ol' Timer? Them Grey Faces steal any black-powder weapons from you?"

At Juraan's question regarding black-powder being used to blow the lock, the gun-mage shrugs quizzically, afore looking to his short mentor;

"Ain't rightly sure Professor. Could work... I only use the black-powder for my hand-gunne... Never used it in any other capacity... Hackbus you got any thoughts on such a plan?"

When JJ mentions how beat up they are, he nods eying one of the Curative Potions;

"Some o' us could do with supping one o' them potions... Whose most in need?"

As a reminder :)

Hackbus: 19 damage
Maxim: HP 15/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp
Marigold: 61/63 hp... Wait Lil Miss is almost a tough as Iron Beard Rouradont!? Well I'll be... Ain't never sure!
Ryan: 32/47 hp
JJ: 26/44 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Oh heck, they destroyed most of my draftings. But I do still have some left at my place" answers Hackbus while he points south through the corridor "There, they save the powder there"

Kikinnin advances through the cavern confident on his night vision.

17 OPERATIONS DECK
A large platform centers the attention of this place. Over it the daily work in the mines is organized. On top of it, powder is stored inside special barrels. Some statues at the corners of the room show duergars on hard forging work.

Perception:

Kikinnin (+2 stones): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Duergar stealth: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (11) - 3 = 8
Kikinnin stealth: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (15) - 6 = 9
Duergar perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Everyone notices each other, so no surprise round

Initiative:

JJ: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Marigold: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Maxim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Juraan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Duergars: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Kikinnin moves to the edge of the next room entrance. He easily sees an armored duergar mounted on a large beetle protecting the other side of the room. He also spots four duergars hiding behind the statues in the corner. The duergars notice the noise of the dwarven full plate rubbing the walls and roar with a battle cry!

K. dungeoning or K. nature DC 13:

These is a Dark Beetle Spitter, a vermin duergars usually grow to serve as a mount for their hunters and soldiers. They have an acid breath, to which they are immune, and can trample creatures. As a vermin, they are immune to mind-affecting effects.

The duergars at the rear of the room are armed with light crossbows, while the closer ones are armed with shield and hammer.

Ryan:

You sense your holy symbol close to the south of this room.

Party effects: fatigued, 20% miss chance on dim light (orange circle)
Maxim: HP 15/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp
Marigold: 61/63 hp
Ryan: 32/47 hp
JJ: 26/44 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp
Round 1: Kikinnin, Maxim, Juraan, Ryan, Marigold, JJ, Duergars

Terrain rules:
Charging over the slope at the room entrance or the chamber platform requires an Acrobatics (balance) DC 10 check. Two checks if charging over both.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ moves into the middle of the lower area, where he stands near the wall, hoping to be at least partially protected by the walls.

dungeoneering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

"Watch out for the beetle, it's like a warhorse... that can breathe out acid."

JJs max hp are actually 59 these days, so I think the hp status may need to be updated.

Celestial light continues to spill from his wounds.

LoH: 3d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 5) = 13

I think that takes him up to just five hp down


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 1

Status:

AC = 16
HP = 64/64
Weapon Equipped = Warhammer
Condition(s) = Fatigued

Knowledge(Dungeoneering) v DC 13: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Kikinnin looks across the room, majorly miffed to see the beetle-rider, as well as the beetle. "Dark beetle spitter. Got ourselves some crossbowsmen as well. Careful, JJ."

The black-beard stays where he is, and readies a swing on the first duergar who tries to advance on them.

Warhammer: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 damage


3 people marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Earlier
Rubbing his sore shoulder and wincing as he tries to work the kinks out of it "I could use one of those, but Maxim you're looking a little more singed than I am."

Afterwards with armor available Ryan helps himself to some. A little short in length, luckily the duergar were easily as wide as he is. Strapping the warhammer to his back is ready for his spell. AC 16

Hopefully GM that retcon was OK

Current

Seeing Kikinnin come to a stop, Ryan looks ahead at the darkness and down at the dowsing rod, moving up behind Kikinnin, Ryan draws the hammer from his back. "Our gear is still ahead, appears we have trouble to deal with first, stand tall son of Malachite, guide us to victory." Laying his hand on Kikinnin's shoulder Inspiring Word 1/7 used, +2 morale bonus 3rds

Inspiring Word:

As a standard action, you can speak an inspiring word to a creature within 30 feet. That creature receives a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum 1). You can use this power a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Ryan ends NW of Kikinnin


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 1

From back near the back of the group, Marigold resigns herself to yet another battle and hustles forward in order to close some of the distance between herself and the others. She still grips her shovel, having opted to keep it as it felt marginally more comfortable in her hands than one of the slavers' warhammers did.
______

Marigold double-moves to her current position.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Round 1
"At least we've got a better chance with those damned manacles off!"

Juraan moves up and casts a spell:
« זויער קויל » . . "flaming sphere (acid)", in terran
… and moves it to attack one of the duergar guards (green)
flaming sphere (acid): 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 2, 2) + 3 = 12 (dc 16, reflex negates)
Round 1 of 6

@ GM Rusteg: I put a translucent purple icon for the acid flaming sphere on top of Green's icon
How many spell slots should I have? Should I be at full or at the same as just after the Purple Worm fight?


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin and JJ carefully advance while most of the young man's wounds heal under a soft celestial glow.

Ryan follows the front-liners while whispering some words that effectively enlightens Kikinnins heart.

Marigold moves the faster she can until reaching the dwarf's back.

Juraan advances, bringing more light to the group, and makes some casting, an acid sphere appearing over the first duergar he can barely spot.
Ref DC 16: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
The duergar starts to yell in true pain when his skin tears down under the effect of the acid. The slaver falls to the ground under the collapse of his system.

Juraan:

Yes, you have not effectively rested 8 hours yet, thus your magic left should be sparse by now

The figure over the beetle in the end of the room commands "Horgar holder linjen! Murghol og Ulara bolte nu! Opdater!"

Dwarven:
"Horgar hold the line! Murghol and Ulara bolts now! Reload!"

Light crossbow vs Kikinnin (cover): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Light crossbow vs JJ (cover, flatfooted because can't see enemy): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

Light crossbow vs Kikinnin (cover): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
The knight shots a crossbow himself. But the duergars tremble on seeing the revolt coming over them and all of the bolts land on the walls.

"Forband det! For alle patriarkerne. Weltha, løb, lad Brilmara vide!" shouts the duergar to none in particular.

Dwarven:

"Curse it! For all the Patriarcs. Weltha, run, let Brilmara know!"

Horgar starts growing in size.

Party effects: fatigued, 20% miss chance on dim light (orange circle)
Maxim: HP 15/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp, +2 r4
Marigold: 61/63 hp
Ryan: 39/54 hp
JJ: 54/59 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp
Round 2: Kikinnin, Maxim (x2), Juraan, Ryan, Marigold, JJ, Duergars


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Round 2

Juraan stays where he is and concentrates on moving the acid flaming sphere straight ahead, hoping to hit another of the duergar guards (orange)
miss (?) 20%: 1d100 ⇒ 92
flaming sphere (acid): 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 6, 6) + 3 = 21 (dc 16, reflex negates)
Round 2 of 6

… and then throws the rock he's holding with the Light cantrip on it into the chamber the duergar guards are in, to light the chamber up for for his friends to see by
aiming for the spot where I put the little sunburst symbol

miss 20%: 1d100 ⇒ 57
ranged touch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

GM Rusteg:
Got it re the spell slots, thanks for that.

I didn't know if the miss chance was needed for the flaming sphere or not, by the way.

I grouped the light circles from Juraan's light cantrip to the sun icon I used.
That's where I'd like it to land, with any luck.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Retconned downing of CLW Potion: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Round 1 Conditions: Fatigued (-2 STR & DEX, Cannot Charge or Run)

Feeling a little less battered Maxim pauses knowing he'll need more than a duergar hammer to wield in the coming battles.

The gun-mage racks his mind for recently learned words of arcane power...

Burn Hero Point to recall Lightning Bolt

... then nods slowly as he feels them once again in his consciousness.

Grim faced the dwur moves forward with his companions, pausing to hunker down by a rocky outcrop. (20ft Move)

"Spitter Beetle an' a Grey Face eh? Just what we need!"

Round 2 Conditions: Fatigued (-2 STR & DEX, Cannot Charge or Run)

As the duergar marshall their forces, Maxim moves closer to support JJ (20ft Move)

He calls upon the words of power as he continues to keep low (Casting Defensively DC21: 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 3 = 23 - Lighting Bolt - Standard Action) and raises his hand in the fashion of a pistol;

"Bliksem!" (Gnome: Lighting Bolt)

As he speaks a powerful stroke of electrical energy flies from his finger tip streaking across the chamber toward the Duergar Knight and his mount:

Lighting Bolt (5d6 Damage on each creature in its line - DC16 Reflex Save for 1/2): 5d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 2, 5, 1) = 15


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

With the scene illuminated, JJ dashes ahead to the closest of the dwarves, swinging his pick in a mighty arc as he does so...

attack,fatigue: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 11 - 2 = 29
confirm,fatigue: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 2 = 27
Picks do x4 on a crit...heheh
damage: 4d6 + 24 ⇒ (4, 3, 1, 4) + 24 = 36

He admires his handiwork for a moment as the dwarf is temporarily pinned to the wall by the pick.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Throw stone-fatigued-distance DC 5: 1d20 + 6 - 1 - 8 ⇒ (11) + 6 - 1 - 8 = 8
In a canny movement Juraan brings light to the darkness with a good thrown that ends just in the central platform of the room. You all can see the angry pale faces of the dwarves.

Ref DC 16: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Then, Juraan makes then his sphere to roll over one of the crossbow duergars. The slaver tries to save his life but the sphere finds him, the acid outright consuming his body in seconds and among terrible cries of pain.

Sergeant Ref 16: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Beetle Ref 16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Maxim suddenly appears at the Operations deck entrance. From the top of one of his fingers a lighting bolt is born. It crosses the room with a sudden light and maintains its sparkle while frying the beetle and its mount. The ray continues on impacting over the door behind that ends up breaking under the might power of the bolt with a terrible noise!

JJ swift movement over the operations room ends with a mortal arc of the pick that crushes the duergar skull pinning it to the wall. Horgar still spasms as its body fights between enlarging and staying on size. The sudden death comes without suffering.

Sergeant: 15 damage, mounting with difficulty
Beetle: 7 damage
Party effects: fatigued, 20% miss chance on dim light (orange circle)
Maxim: HP 23/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp, +2 r4
Marigold: 61/63 hp
Ryan: 39/54 hp
JJ: 54/59 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp
Round 2: Kikinnin, Maxim, Juraan, Ryan, Marigold, JJ, Duergars


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 2

Status:

AC = 16 (Chainmail)
HP = 64/64
Weapon Equipped = Warhammer
Condition(s) = Fatigued

Kikinnin angles into the room, taking care to remain on his feet as he descends the slope, and circling the central platform. He keeps his eyes on the beetle-rider, expecting to engage it shortly. Double move


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Earlier

Ryan takes the proffered potion downing it CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3hp feeling the magic course through his injured shoulder allowing him to move it a bit better.

Current

Moving into the room, Ryan heads towards the remaining crossbowman. Double move full 60'


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

After both Kikinnin and Ryan move closer into the fray, the duergars attempt to equal the odds.

The mounted duergar let's his crossbow fall and presses the beetle that moves all over Kikinnin, then keeps going until it reaches Maxim, trampling both of them all the way.
Trample damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Trample: Kikinnin and Maxim can chose to attempt an AoO at -4, or Ref 16 for half damage

The duergar draws a fine duergar waraxe while the beast moves and completes the trample attempting to cut Maxim's head with his blade.
mwk dwarven waraxe+mounted: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 1 = 14
S damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
The twisted version of a dwarven waraxe opens a long gash on Maxim's head. " Du vil snart blive swarmed af duergarer. Kør mens du kan overflade beboere! "

Dwarven:

"You will soon be swarmed by duergars. Run while you can surface dwellers!"

The cornered dwarf, scared attempts to desperately fight Ryan by throwing his crossbow and drawing a hammer.
warhammer: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
B damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Sergeant: 15 damage, mounting with difficulty
Beetle: 7 damage
Party effects: fatigued, 20% miss chance on dim light (orange circle)
Maxim: HP 17/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp, +2 r4
Marigold: 61/63 hp
Ryan: 39/54 hp
JJ: 54/59 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp
Round 3: Kikinnin, Maxim, Juraan, Ryan, Marigold (x2), JJ, Duergars


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Ducking the hastily drawn warhammer and thrown crossbow, Ryan returns the favor with a swing of his own warhammer.

Warhammer(2H): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Round 3

Addressing the mounted duergar, Juraan says
« Men vi bliver bedre bekendt! »

Dwarven:
"But we're getting better acquainted!"

And then moves back 5 feet and casts another spell…
« მჟავე ხელები » . . "burning hands (acid)", in draconic
… angling it to hit the duergar and his beetle mount, but avoid Marigold and Maxim:
(purple triangle on the map)

burning hands, acid damage: 5d4 + 5 ⇒ (4, 1, 4, 1, 4) + 5 = 19
(dc 15, reflex halves)

And then concentrates to bring his acidic flaming sphere closer to the giant beetle
(Moved the purple icon 30 feet toward the beetle)


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Seeing Ryan dash past him, JJ pulls the pick free with a wicked wrench and then charges forward into the fray!

attack,fatigued: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 11 - 2 = 19
damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

"You know, Kikinnin, these dwarven weapons are starting to grow on me."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 2

Having paused for a moment, Marigold reaches out and just manages to brush her fingers against Maxim's back before he moves forward and fills the air with the smell of ozone and burnt flesh.

Marigold casts Guidance on Maxim!
______

Marigold's Round 3

With a shriek of surprise the halfling cringes away as beetle and rider charge forward, barreling over Maxim and Kikinnin and coming to a stop next to her. For lack of a better option she swings her shovel at the great beetle, hoping to put a few cracks in its carapace!

Attack vs. Beetle (Shovel; Flanking, Improvised Weapon): 1d20 + 5 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 2 + 2 = 24
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 3 Conditions: Fatigued (-2 STR & DEX, Cannot Charge or Run) Guidance (+1 on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check)

DC16 Reflex Save: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 - 1 = 21 Evasion Rogue ability means no damage on successful Ref save

As the beetle bears down on Maxim and his bror, the gun-mage expertly rolls out of its way despite his weary bones.

However when he rises the duergar's axe opens a gash upon his skull.

Blinking in pain the wizard charges his own weapon with a essence of his arcane power (Arcane Strike - Swift Action) and swings wildly at the duergar knight;

Melee (Flanking): Warhammer: 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 12
Damage: Warhammer (+Arcane Strike): 1d8 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 - 1 = 5
Sneak Attack: 1d6 ⇒ 6


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Maxim cunningly avoids the trampling beetle as it tries to overrun him. He does not have the same luck when trying to crash his hammer at it.

JJ and Ryan bring down the duergar inside the room with help of the slaver own weapons.

Sergeant+hardy Ref DC 16: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 0 + 2 = 19
Juraan's acid shower seems too much for the knight and falls from the beetle unconscious to the ground of the cavern. The beetle though seems to easily ignore the acid, its shell immune to the acid effects.

What the beetle is not ready for is Marigold's shovel, that causes a small opening in the shell.

Without knight to command it, the beetle tries to fly away charging over Marigold and Juraan and disappearing in the darkness of the caverns.
Trample damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Trample: Marigold and Juraan can chose to attempt an AoO at -4, or Ref 16 for half damage

Sergeant: 24 damage, unconscious, dying
Beetle: 8 damage
Party effects: fatigued, 20% miss chance on dim light (orange circle)
Maxim: HP 17/39
Kikinnin: 64/64 hp, +2 r4
Marigold: 61/63 hp
Ryan: 39/54 hp
JJ: 54/59 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp
Round 4: Kikinnin (x2), Maxim, Juraan, Ryan, Marigold, JJ, Duergars


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 4

Reflex (DC 16): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Not expecting the beetle to lose its rider so quickly, Marigold is just barely able to dodge the worst of the beetle's tramping legs as it suddenly scuttles off down the tunnel. Having absolutely no desire to chase after it, she scrambles to her feet and hurries forward, climbing up onto the platform with the others.
______

Marigold double-moves to her current position!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Ryan knowing his spell is winding down looks at the others,

"We need to continue, the beetle will find his own way, and if we should meet it again with our gear we would be better prepared."

Reaching down he collects a discarded crossbow and bolts from the duergar as well as the dowsing rod he had been using.

"The pull is coming from that way" he says pointing south.

Ryan is out of healing right now and wouldn't even consider using one of the CLW's on the fallen knight, so he's not wasting time to stabilize him either.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Somewhat in disregard for his own health, he takes a swipe at the beetle, in reflex for getting mowed over.

AoO: 1d20 + 10 - 4 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 10 - 4 - 1 + 2 = 24 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 damage

With the others taking their work to the Grey-Faces, Kikinnin seeks to bring down the beetle, in hopes of minimizing its bull-like damage.

Warhammer: 1d20 + 10 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 10 - 1 + 2 = 24 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 damage
Warhammer: 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 1 + 2 = 16 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 damage

If he is still in range for another set of attacks before the creature flies away, he doesn't hesitate.

Warhammer: 1d20 + 10 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 - 1 + 2 = 30 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 damage
Warhammer: 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 - 1 + 2 = 14 for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 damage

Kikinnin turns to the others to check on their current state of health. "Picks have a purpose, much like the rest of the tools for mining the rock, JJ, but it's good to get a feel for them, especially when they're all you've got."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 4 Conditions: Fatigued (-2 STR & DEX, Cannot Charge or Run) Guidance (+1 on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check)

Maxim too moves to secure a crossbow and ammo (Double Move if necessary to nearest crossbow and bolts

"Aint my pistol, but it'll do for the comin' reckonin'..."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin crushes the beetle with the hammer when it overrun's him. Then the paladin pursuits the beast to crush once more the hammer. When the creature is going over Marigold and trying to escape, the dwarf crushes the hammer one more and definitive time. With its shell destroyed the beetle falls to the ground. Green blood all over.

Marigold just make it enough to save most of the trample and Juraan looks relieved the defeated beetle one it was almost at the point to reach him.

Combat is over!

Loot:

5x potions of CLW
4x warhammers
3x light crossbows with 10 bolts each
1x banded mail
1x mwk dwarven waraxe
3x chainmails
34 gp

16. STOREROOM
Stairs are born in this intersection. The ones to the West are blocked by a collapse, while the ones to the East have their corridors covered with carvings depicting duergar on hard duty. To the South a large storeroom with huge columns is full of all kind of junk.

Among the junk you quickly identify some of your inventory. There are some things missing though.

Ryan notices his twig still points something at the southern wall. Checking a loosen tile, he does found his symbol among most of the missing inventory.

There are some remarkable missing pieces: Ryan’s headband of inspired wisdom +2, JJ’s cloak of arachnida, Maxim’s ring of protection +1, Juraan’s amulet of natural armour +1, Kikinnin’s cloak of Resistance +1 and Marigold’s mwk breastplate.

Maxim: HP 17/39
Kikinnin: 52/64 hp
Marigold: 57/63 hp
Ryan: 39/54 hp
JJ: 54/59 hp
Juraan: 21/39 hp


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks over the beetle shell with a bit of nostalgia, adjusting the chainmail uncomfortably as he remembers his own shell sitting somewhere in the dark. He only hopes for their sake someone isn't already wearing it. He removes the chainmail, and starts donning the banded mail instead, preferring the snugger fit.

The black-beard finds a place in his belt for the warhammer, choosing to wield the dwarven waraxe instead. A proper dwarven weapon.

"Alright, hold on a second. Ok. I think I've got it secure." He adjusts uncomfortably in the banded mail, motivated to move on, so he can reclaim what's rightly theirs.

"Lead on, Ryan."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

GM-R: Are the items listed those still missing (and we have everything else) or just what we've recovered from our missing gear? Apologies am probably over thinking the text lol


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Well needed clarification: The duergars left all your inventory here but for the stated items above which for some reason are not found in the storeroom ;)


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Cool. Bror you might want to swap out all the Grey Face steel you're packing :)


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin snorts with satisfaction as he finds exactly what he's looking for. He continues to snort through the donning, wordlessly approaching Maxim, and welcoming the assistance in securing the distal straps. He manages to restrain himself in his anxiety to pick up his Axe, waiting until bror gives the word that he's fully suited up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

End of combat:

Juraan breaths a sigh of relief when the giant beetle collapses dead before it can trample the fatigued sorcerer.

He dismisses his Flaming Sphere spell when he's sure the duergar squad are all dead.

"I'm sure one of these guards must have the keys we need to get our new friends out of the nick."
He then searches the dead duergar for the keys he was after.
perception, searching duergar stiffs: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

--------------------

In the store room:

"Damned nuisance these duergar pinching some of our gear."
"On the other hand, we have most of our gear back."
"As well as some of their own gear."
"I'm thankful too that they overlooked the brooch Shensen gave me."

Once he has his Ioun stone back so he can see better, he dismisses his light spell that more than served it's purpose.

He also uses his wand of Cure Light Wounds to patch himself up a bit:

Wand of CLW patching-upping:

use magic device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
cure light wounds (wand): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
use magic device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
use magic device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
cure light wounds (wand): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

"Much better! I'll have to get myself another of those wands soon, though."

Once he has the rest of his gear back in place, he addresses the others:
"We'd best release our friends out of their cell."
"And arm them as best we can with this duergar gear."
"Safety in numbers. That will bring us to an even dozen between us, Hackbus, and the others."
"And some of them might even surprise us with talents of their own."
"Then we can recover the faeries we're looking for and be on our merry way to find Zenith."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Juraan looks around for some keys but he finds none. Incidentally, he appreciates none of the laying bodies is the jailer duergar.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Maxim should have his lock-picking tools back, though. That will help, I'm sure.
I assumed the Flaming Sphere made those killed by it hard to identify with all that acidic burning. ;)


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Damned spider cloak has been taken. " sighs JJ.

He spends a few minutes strapping himself into his armor and putting on weapons.

"This feels much safer." he finally announces.

He gives the pick a sorry look before putting it down.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Finding his gear, Ryan joins the other in donning his normal weapons and armor, helping the others to fasten/cinch straps as needed.

"My headband is missing as well, at least we are better prepared to search for it now."

Finished he walks to the nearest stairwell leading deeper into the unexplored, for their part, parts of the cavern. Unsure if the magic of the spell he was using would still respond, he focused on the headband he was missing.....


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

It takes the party some minutes to gear up. When Ryan thinks on the headband once belonged to Sarcem Delasharn, the twig suddenly changes towards the East, following the corridor.

Shortly after, the spell ends and the twig lays immobile on Ryan's hands.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"[b]Let us go realease the others. I think with my tools in hand, I'd have a reasonable shot at it.[]/b]'

Happy to spend a couple of minutes taking twenty for a total of 30


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"L-looks like s-someone took a f-fancy to my armor," Marigold sighs as she takes inventory of her gear and dons everything that had been recovered. "B-but not m-my headband at least. G-guess the duergar don't p-put much importance on the art of w-winning friends and influencing p-people."

Once her gear is situated, she nods at Ryan and JJ. "Okay, l-let's keep m-moving."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"I'll help JJ get the others out of their cell, while the rest of you get kitted back up."
"The sooner we get ourselves ready in numbers, the better."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Back at the jail, the group is received with expectation "You found the keys?"

"Is it all done?" everybody seems to want to talk at the same time.

"We thought we will never see you again" forming a cacophony.

Within less than a minute, JJ's recovered tools help him force the jail's lock. Five minutes later and the prisoners are released from their shackles.

"Oh mother, are we going to do it out?" asks Rikaldo.

"How are we going to find the way out of the Darklands?" adds the gnome female.

"Quick! Through the southern stairs before more duergar arrive!" points out Hackbus.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Remember gang Maxim has +15 Disable Device (just for future ref) ;)

Maxim assists his bror to armour up, then equips himself before slapping Kikinnnin on the shoulder with a hard smile;

"Grey-Faces will find us a different prospect now bror..."

When the others notice items missing, the dwur affirms that his Ring of Protection is also gone.

The group then head back to where the prisoners are held and the gun-mage assists JJ in jimmying the lock.

As they are released he eyes the group curiously;

"Hold yer britches Hack... Need to ask these folks a question... Any o' you folks seen a female gnomiz? She was the wife o' Keygen Ghelve..."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Eh!" the gnome female actually reacts to Maxim words "I am Majet Ghelve!"

"Don't tell me that lazy ass sent you to find me here?" the gnome seems angry at the idea for some reason "He let those skulks break into our house and then he sends some adventurers to take me?"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim chuckles to himself, then strokes his beard with a wry smile;

"Nay lass. Your husband has been a good friend an' ally to our company. I promised him I'd search for you, or leastways, news o' your whereabouts in the Dark whilst on our quest..."

The dwur gives a sigh of relief;

"First Hackbus an' now your good self... Mistress Ghelve despite the trials faced, an' with due respect we ain't out of the furnace yet... Today's been a good day all-told."


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

making the assumption Juraan has told us the jailer was not amongst the fallen

Area 15
Ryan follows the steps downward feeling a pull towards the east, when the spells duration elapses. The twig falls lifeless in his hand, "Hmm guess we'll need to do this the old fashioned way now" he says to anyone close by.

Following the others back to the cells, Ryan tends to the minor scrapes as best he can without magic.

heal: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23 "There that will have to do until I've had time to rest and restore my magic"

When the others are ready to move on.

"We have at least 4 more deurgar to deal with, Juraan's missing jailer, someone or someones strong enough to appropriate our gear, and their guards, I figure at least 2 if not more. The magic of my locator spell is finished but it indicated my headband was to the east through the tunnels."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Juraan addresses the freed captives:
"Okay, we're not in the clear yet, but this is a good start."
"Now, we'll have a better chance if we're all armed."
"We have some crossbows, war-hammers, picks, shovels, and bone clubs."
"Arm yourselves with what you can so we have a better chance of all getting out of here alive."

Then, as an afterthought:
"What skills and talents do you lot have?"
"We only have ourselves to rely on for now."
"Best to know what we all can and can't do."
"I, Juraan, am not as handy with weapons as Kikinnin and JJ here."
"But I do know how to use a bow and a few damaging spells."
"Maxim is more versatile with spells than I."
"Ryan and Marigold here are no slouches and good at healing."

After any explanations have come there way, Juraan will address the last prisoner (the halfling?):
"I apologize. In all the confusion I forgot to ask your name."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Majet Ghelve sighs "Ah well... have to see that. Anyway it's surely a large improvement over current situation"

The prisoners look at the weapons then at Juraan "You do not want us to fight, do you?"

"I am a Skinner" says Rikaldo.

"My name is Callum Synnyrush Sir" addresses the halfling to Juraan "I used to groom horses and ponies for the Lathenmire noble family back in Cauldron. I mean... before this"

Shellen and Azmi smile at Juraan "Well... what kind of skills do you mean? We are kind of good at distracting people... well, at least back at Cauldron" Shellen winks an eye to the Professor.

As for Majet, the gnome takes a pick from Juraan's hands "I have no plan of falling to duergar hands again. If you are stupid enough to test your luck a second time... well... Gorum protects you on this fight... What is for me I am leaving this ill cavern with or without your help" she pads the pick with difficulty "It is clear my sweet husband needs a hand to protect his business"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Ms Majet..." starts JJ.

"We will be testing our luck. I think you would be safer to stick with us for a bit. We won't make any of you do so... but staying together can't be more dangerous than getting lost forever down here by yourself. How will you even see?"

He offers a grin to Shellen and Azmi but says nothing to the two girls.

I'd never hear the end of it from the dwarves or Marigold. Which only leaves me Juran - who'd likely end up making it into a practical joke and Ryan who would just silently disapprove.

With a sad sigh and a wistful smile he takes a spot near Kikinnin at the front.

"Even more folk to protect now. Without us I can't help thinking Cauldron's population would be halved by now."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

When the others ask Juraan if they're expected to fight:
"These dark lands are not at all safe!"
"So be as ready, and as able, as you can to defend yourselves."
"Just looking tough down here can make all the difference."

"Rikaldo, a skinner, eh? Could be handy."
"It is necessary to carve up things down here for food."

"Callum, pleased to meet you. How are you at calming animals down?"
"There are more temperamental animals than I'd like down here."

"Shellen and Azmi. *ahem* Well, yes. I see."
Juraan groans inwardly: "JJ does. Ever the skirt magnet, him!"
"We might not need a lot those sorts of distractions down here."
"How are you with slights of hand? Ore maybe pilfering things or bypassing annoying locks?"

"I certainly can't question your spirit, Majet! Very good indeed."
"You wouldn't have any sort of magical talents as well, would you?"
"And we'd be delighted to return you to your beloved with all speed!"

"JJ is right, though. Our best chance of getting back to Cauldron is to stay together."
"Down here, to be alone is to die alone."

GM Rusteg:

Juraan will also concentrate on sending another telepathic message to Meerthan:
"Juraan here. With some good news this time."

"One of the other duergar prisoners down here is a gnome named Hackbus. Maxim's old mentor."
"Hackbus and Maxim created an explosive distraction that allowed us to overpower our guards."

"We also managed to overpower a few duergar reinforcements soon after that."
"And we've been reunited with most of our belongings."
"Including the Desna brooch Shensen gave me."

"We also managed to free the other captives down here."
"We're now twelve in number."
"There's Me, Maxim, Kikinnin, JJ, Ryan and Marigold. As well as Hackbus."
"Add to that: Rikaldo the skinner. Azmi and Shellen from the Slippery Eel. Majet Ghelve, wife of Keygen Ghelve. Last, but not least, Callum Sunnyrush the Lathenmire family stable-hand."

"All we need to do is rescue some captured faeries, have a proper kip, and we'll be straight as rain!"

"These duergar are able to enlarge themselves to the size of ogres. Most annoying, that!"
"Do you know of any other duergar tricks?"

"Tell Shensen she'll be able to teach me how do dance again before she knows it!"

5,251 to 5,300 of 10,419 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.