The Metro - Down And Out At The Gates Of Heaven

Game Master jemstone

Drawn together by a series of grisly crimes, a small band of truth-seekers find themselves facing the rise of a new, murderous subculture within their high-rise metropolitan home. Can they stop the burgeoning "Spill Killer" before it's too late?


51 to 100 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Without your own roll of vacuum tape, you can't re-seal the tote, but you can close it back up, nice and tight, and return it to its shelf.

If the other PC's are good with whatever cross-talk they want to have in character, I'll hustle things up in the next day or two.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily is going to take a few minutes to check on her feeds and making sure she still has content rolling. She's also doing a very cursory sweep for comments and mentions and the like.


Emily Theora Carter wrote:
Emily is going to take a few minutes to check on her feeds and making sure she still has content rolling. She's also doing a very cursory sweep for comments and mentions and the like.

That's a very good question - have you been streaming all of your day while you've been looking in to this? If you are, you're going to need to make sure that BART, Avryl, and Zerin have accepted your Sharing and Streaming agreements. It means that you get to put their likenesses and voices on your streams, and gives them a cut of your ad revenue.

If they don't agree, your feed will scramble their faces and voices automatically.

On the other hand, you could just keep your drones pointed at yourself throughout all of this, but you'd still need an incidental agreement from them since you've been spending so much time around them, and they no longer count as bystanders.

Your decision will impact what's been going on in your streams.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

I think she would have set this to scramble these three people automatically all the time. They've made it clear they aren't interested in screen time so I wouldn't want to push my luck. Avryl and Emily probably have a standing agreement for stories she helps with.

I also would have left Zerin's staff and the Avryl's new boyfriend scrambled for speed.


Your feed has been moving along, uninterrupted, since you went live this morning. A number of people in the Warehouse District were pleased to see you coming down to their area, and more than a few have asked you to come by and do pieces on their businesses and what it means to work Dockside now that more and more commercial traffic is coming in from the Angel Island transfer station. A few nasty comments filter in here and there about how people like you and the others in your group are only interested in places like the Recycle Yards when there's something in it for you, but by and large most of the feedback is positive, or at least neutral. A good number of comments have been posted - and answered by a FAQBot - regarding whether or not someone can pay to have the censor filters lifted so that they can get a good look at Avryl's face to confirm whether or not she is, as Jagger indicated, "hot."

FAQBot has directed them to your standard TOS and muted them, in that order.

The usual number of lurkers abound, logging on to your feed and then doing and saying nothing, as they are wont to do.

Perception Check, 2d6+11: 2d6 + 11 ⇒ (1, 6) + 11 = 18

You do notice a small section of commentary regarding a question surrounding what a Micro SD card is, and what it was used for.

Someone in the comments replied to that question by linking to a Public Interest story from a few days ago, about the death of one of your fellow Socials, "Carrie On," that poor girl who fell and broke her neck. Apparently, she had an Old Era bodycam as part of her rig, which used Micro SD cards. Many of her followers have been trying to locate similar models, as a way of honoring her memory.

Beyond that, you see nothing out of the ordinary.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily grabs the group of dockside businesses and saves the data in a "story ideas" file.

Then I'll see if any of the more technical socials have something I can share about SD cards.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Avryl half seriously glares at Zerin. "Surprises…that's exactly what I'm more than a little worried about—the stuff no one can predict."


Rouser Flashback
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 8 | SPD (Run) 80 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 35 | Willpower 15 | Perception 17
Avryl Grimaldi wrote:

Avryl half seriously glares at Zerin. "Surprises…that's exactly what I'm more than a little worried about—the stuff no one can predict."

Zerin laughs, "What, like technology that even us recalcitrant throwbacks don't use anymore?" Her amusement carries through to her self deprecation. "I don't know, get bored, try to hack him. Be a good study of the classics. He might take that as flirting, but I don't know if he runs as rough in his private life as his public... nor do I want to know."


Emily Theora Carter wrote:
Then I'll see if any of the more technical socials have something I can share about SD cards.

Reputation Check, 2d6 + 3 (Socials): 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 5) + 3 = 9

Reputation As Resources:

Quote:

As discussed earlier, one of the cool things that Reputations enable characters to do is access a number of "Soft Benefits," such as the ability to know someone - or know someone who knows someone - that might be useful in a situation like this one: Emily is looking for a contact or a resource within her Culture that might have some information or data she can use to help her in the current situation. Unfortunately, with a 9 on her roll, she doesn't have any readily accessible friends (or their friends) that she thinks can help her.

Zerin used this to better effect earlier, when determining that Jagger would be a good person to talk to about finding a card reader. BART also used it when using his experience with gangs and general street knowledge to figure out what was going on with all the gang signs in the storage facility.

When checking to see if Reputation-based resources are useful in any given situation, all of the appropriate Reputation groups are used. In this case, Emily uses her Socials rep, and nothing else, because she's specifically scouring her brain for contacts in her own Culture. She might have had a better result if she'd also thought to check against her Eggheads Reputation, but as that's only a +1, that's not very likely.

Other than the crosslink already in the comment thread, you don't really have much you can get on that topic right now. All you've really got is the knowledge that there's a run on antique shops for Old-Era bodycams.

It's at this time that BART manages to come back in to Zerin's shop, with the card reader. Zerin is able to set it up with an antique desktop rig in the back of the shop. It takes a few minutes, figuring out what side of this supposedly "Universal" cable goes up, among other things. The computer boots up relatively quickly though it's still glacially slow in Avryl's book, and after a tiny bit of driver updating to use the card reader, everything is set.

On the card is a single video file, that takes up approximately half the card.

The file begins autoplaying as soon as the card is examined...

The scene is the cramped, closet-sized bathroom area of a small, one-person Studio Cube. "Carrie On" stands in front of the camera in her underwear, her bobbed blonde hair held out of her face in a pair of pigtails. Her KeiKei Style AR buds flicker pink and green, lit up with internal 'LightWave' technology. She taps the camera three times, and the image comes in to focus.

"One, two, test test," she says, glancing off to something on her right. She manipulates whatever it is, just out of view of the wide-angle camera, and taps the bodycam frame again. "One, two, test...? YES. Got it."

The image fades to black, and is replaced by another, with a timestamp of approximately one hour later. The camera - thankfully motion-correcting, so the image is nice and smooth and without the 'body-shake' associated with a lot of crappy Old-Era cameras - is recording Carrie On talking to her partner, Cassidy, over a breakfast of Krill-On-The Go. They're sharing a 6x6, tearing off bits of the edible snack box to dip in to the remaining Szechuan sauce, having already finished the krill as well as the potato-starch wedges.

"Camera's on," Cassidy says, pointing her finger at Carrie's chest.

"Oh, must have bumped it," Carrie replies. "So what I'm saying is, I think we'll find a lot of good..."

The camera turns off, and the image again returns with a slightly later time stamp.

Carrie is descending a ladder, and pauses as she nears the bottom rungs.

"Oh, gah, this place is gross," she mutters. "Think of the ratings, Mendez, think of the ratings."

Carrie reaches the bottom of the ladder, and turns to look out at the expanse of the Sub Ways she's digging around in today. The camera pans first to the left, then to the right.

"What the fu..." she whispers. "Hey, 1A, turn your camera back on."

There are a series of beeps from a drone that's been circling her - a Gabby Gabby Livestream Drone, by the look of it - and its camera light blinks a rapid, three-flicker red.

"Okay, c'mere, lemme check your antenna."

The drone flits in, close, then pauses, turning back out to face the darkness around her. A blue light turns on, and the drone begins shining a wide white light across the dark expanse around Carrie.

"You got something on motion sense?" she asks. The drone beeps once, an affirmative.

"Someone out there?" Carrie calls. "I'm not looking to scratch up or anything. I'm here to bust open some lockers. I'll split the finds, if you want. I've got food, too!"

The drone beeps twice, turning off the light, then turns back to Carrie. It flies to her hands.

"False alarm, huh? Let me check your antenna."

Carrie mutters to herself for a few moments, the drone just out of sight of the bodycam. The drone suddenly comes to life, flitting up out of her hands, its blue light flashing rapidly.

It shines the motion sensor light directly behind her.

She begins to turn around, and stops, her breathing short, and shallow.

She almost manages to say the word "help" before there is a sharp, sickening crack.

The camera tracks Carrie's fall to the ground, and rests there, peering out into the darkness. A moment later, the Gabby Gabby drone follows suit, as with her death, the broadcast signal from her AR Buds has also gone quiet. With nothing to do, the drone simply sinks slowly to the gravely earth that cradles Carrie's body in cold silence.

A shuffling noise approaches the bodycam, and the camera shakes roughly as it's pulled off of her body. Turned around by an unseen hand, the camera pans across her crumpled form, and a deep, raspy voice shushes the viewer.

"Ssshhhhhhhh," it says. "Quiet, now."

The camera goes black.

The image returns, with a timestamp marking it one day later. It's a still image, showing the door to a Studio cube. The name on the door is "Cassidy Lane."

The image then cycles through two more images, both the doors to other studios.

One of them is Emily's. The other is BART's.

The final image on the file is a simple set of words.

"And baby makes five."

*****

Your turn, kids.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily will post some old replay footage, maybe a montage from the day before, while they're watching the footage.

Right before the video started Emily would have recorded herself looking into one of her cameras to say, "OK, this fiasco seems to have reached its finale! Let's take a look at what this wild goose chase has brought us."

Emily makes a face when she realizes this is Carrie On's footage. She thinks to herself "Ugh, gotta reach out to her people to let them know I had no idea. Go on the record about it not being cool to air someone else's footage yada yada"

After that final image appears on the screen, Emily looks around wide eyed at everyone in the room for a few seconds.

I am sure Emily recognizes her door but is it labeled somehow? Will her follower's know that's her door? And / or is BART's labeled? What she does next depends on the answer.


All residence and business doors are required to have Occupant Labels - even if that label is "Rapid Delivery" or whatever business is run out of the apartment - for legal and accountability purposes. So, yes, there would be a label on each door that could be easily identified.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily starts to collect her thoughts and says That was my door. That was BART's door... a murderer paid BART to bring me footage of a crime and then what.. THREATENS US? And why you BART? That was your door right?"

Emily starts pacing...

Oh Avryl, I'm gonna need to know everything you can tell me about that file. And I need to talk to Cassidy. And oh boy, we have to bring this to the authorities. Right?


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Avryl sits there, staring at the end, wondering what "And baby makes five" means, and being more than a little scared. "Um…right…I can do that…I think. The system's a little more antiquated than I'm used to but someone got that data on that chip in the first place so it should be elementary to reverse the process to more modern media and I'm babbling again, aren't I?"


Male Puppeteer (Podbaby) Post-Human
Attributes:
INIT 5 | SPD (Base) 8/12 | SPD (Run) 80/120 | TGH/RES 5/2 | Bruises NA | Willpower 18 | Perception 14

When BART gets to Emily's apartment with the reader

"Okay, here's your antique. Let's see if it can read that thing so I can get paid and get gone."

As the video plays out, BART starts pacing, at first impatiently but as it continues, more out of anxiety.

"What the f&@*? What the F@@$?! What have you psycho attention whores roped me into! You wanted to see what happens when the whole world is watching? Now you know. Congrats, you're about to tragically dead and famous.

He turns to face Emily. "Double my rate, Ms. Carter. Now. I need to get out of town, like, yesterday. You need to get that chip and reader to the police, like, YESTERDAY. And before you ask, no, I am not touching that thing again. That thing is apocalyptically bad news."

Throwing a glance over his shoulder "Avy, I'm your friend and I'm telling you, get out of town. Go back Upstairs and stay away from Ms. Face-Time here or you might be next."

He goes back to pacing a hole in Emily's floor. "S@%&. S%@!. I can't even go back to my apartment. No, you know what? F#!~ it. Mike TV over there" points at the screen "can HAVE my knock-around body. I'm got my professional suit on. I can FIND work anywhere that isn't in a hundred mile radius of THAT a$#%#$* or any camera hound looking to get the next Inhuman Interest story on Pinocchio, the Delivery Bot."


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily just glares at BART for a second and then starts working on his payment.

How much do I actually owe him?


Emily Theora Carter wrote:


How much do I actually owe him?

I'm glad you asked that question, Emily. Because, you see, it works like this:

1: Someone - possibly the killer! - drops the parcel off at the Met-EX Parcel Pylon, putting it into a secure locker and choosing their delivery method and paying the total, pre-calculated charge.
2: In this case, their delivery method was "Personal Courier," and they chose from the courier list, one BART, who was then alerted that a parcel was here, in that selfsame locker. They also chose "Verify Contents," indicating that the parcel must be examined and validated before you, the addressee, could mark the delivery competed, thus giving BART his pay.
3: BART came and got the parcel, saw that it was to be delivered to you, sighed, and did the delivery anyway.
4: Once you mark the delivery complete and verified, the Met-EX system will pay BART. He gets 80% of the delivery fee, which was paid for by someone - possibly the killer! - when they put the parcel in to the pylon.
5: Anything you're paying him in terms of his fee is out of your own pocket, and based on what he's been saying in terms of his "fee," you're looking at multiples of whatever someone - possibly the killer! - put into the Parcel Pylon when they pre-paid for the Personal Courier delivery. If you ask him, he's in for a reasonable 100cr fee for the supposedly simple delivery, which means you're looking at something in the 500cr range so far.

At this point, I need Avryl, BART, and Zerin to make Perception checks, which will be 2d6 + Perception (as all of your bonuses will already be tallied in to them on your character sheets).


Male Puppeteer (Podbaby) Post-Human
Attributes:
INIT 5 | SPD (Base) 8/12 | SPD (Run) 80/120 | TGH/RES 5/2 | Bruises NA | Willpower 18 | Perception 14

Perception Check, 2d6+14: 2d6 + 14 ⇒ (2, 4) + 14 = 20


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Perception Check, 2d6+15: 2d6 + 15 ⇒ (5, 1) + 15 = 21


Rouser Flashback
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 8 | SPD (Run) 80 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 35 | Willpower 15 | Perception 17

Perception Check, 2d6+17: 2d6 + 17 ⇒ (4, 3) + 17 = 24

"I'm too old for this s#!*" Zerin mutters after the clip ends.


The three of you notice, very handily, although with BART's current emotional state, he almost didn't that the timestamp on the image of Emily's door is almost exactly thirty-five minutes before the time-stamp on the image of BART's door, which is itself about ten minutes before the time that the pick-up notification came from the Met-EX pylon, indicating that BART had a courier job.

Avryl and Zerin, as well, realize that until Emily marks this package verified, the payment won't go through. Depending on how the sender paid, there might still be information in the system about the payment. It's probably heavily encrypted, but you never know.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Avryl's eyes go wide in surprise as she realizes their opportunity. "Whoever's doing this just might've left us a clue to their identity, though I confess that finding out about it might be close to impossible in this situation…

"What the hell? 'Close to impossible' isn't the same as 'impossible'."

She looks to Zerin. "Mind if I do a little creative hacking while I'm here?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily looks up from her budget app and says "Avryl, should I wait? What do you need from me? I want to get as much data as I can before we turn this over to the cops."

I have a crowd reputation of 1 with The Law. Will a Useful Action help me figure out who to contact that won't keep me in the dark?

"I need to broadcast something soon but I need a good cover story. I am not putting what we just saw out there. No effin way."

"Zerin is it ok if we hang out here a bit more since going back to my place is ill-advised? If you want us out of here just let me know, I'll put some feelers out. I'm sorry to have dragged you into this."

Also anyone who knows Emily even the slightest can see that she has fully shifted into investigation mode. Fear has definitely been replaced by curiosity.


Emily Theora Carter wrote:


I have a crowd reputation of 1 with The Law. Will a Useful Action help me figure out who to contact that won't keep me in the dark?

A Useful Action means that you actively engage in manipulating a contact in a Crowd or Culture to do something that will help you. These actions range from "Negligible" to "Extreme," depending on what you're asking them for. The larger the action you ask someone to undertake, the more your current Reputation with that group is impacted. It's only a temporary impact, but enough of them piled up can reduce your Reputation completely for quite some time while you build it back up.

So, really, the question you should be asking here, is, "Who can I lean on, or what can I give them, to get what I want in this situation?"


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Ahem, do I have a Law contact that I trust to give me an exclusive if I bring this to them?


Emily Theora Carter wrote:
Ahem, do I have a Law contact that I trust to give me an exclusive if I bring this to them?

With a Rep of 1, that's not very likely. You might be able to find someone you've worked with who would be able to get you a copy of the results, if they come up with anything, before it's released to the public, but that's about it.

Go ahead and make a Reputation check for The Law, 2d6+1. You can use Action Points on this to add another 1d6 to your roll, if you want. Remember that if you get 2 6's, you get a Critical Success, and may add another 2d6 to the roll.

If you're rolling a standard check (no Action Points), and you get 2 1's, you've Critically Failed, and must roll an additional 2d6 and subtract. If you add an Action Point to roll 3d6, you only Critically Fail if all three come up as 1's.


Male Puppeteer (Podbaby) Post-Human
Attributes:
INIT 5 | SPD (Base) 8/12 | SPD (Run) 80/120 | TGH/RES 5/2 | Bruises NA | Willpower 18 | Perception 14
Emily Theora Carter wrote:
"I need to broadcast something soon but I need a good cover story. I am not putting what we just saw out there. No effin way."

BART stops pacing to turn to Emily. "Wait... why not? Why wouldn't you just post a report of that clip to the entire web-wired public? Out this monster to the world and get your rabid little Etceter-ites to dig up the dirt on our mystery man. The more people who know about this, the safer we are, right? Have Avy get whatever data she can off the clip and turn the entire mess over to the cops. They can put us in protective custody or something, can't they?"


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

"Well, ONE something tells me that's what this mofo wants me to do. So no. He doesn't get that. TWO if he's planning to do something to either of us, I bet he's waiting until after we see the clip. So I'm not letting them know we've seen it."

"And lastly, what we just watched? That's snuff. I don't deal in that crud. Yeah, I want ratings, and I want this story, but not like that. We're going to do a little investigating, then we're handing this over to the cops and we'll get our protective custody. "


Still need that Rep Roll from Emily.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

oops

Reputation: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 1) + 1 = 6


Emily isn't certain she could manage to get anyone she knows in Metro Sec to give her what she needs at this time. It would require calling in a lot of favors, and she just doesn't have those right now.


Female, Social, (Spiller) Human
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 2/2 | Bruises 25 | Willpower 18 | Perception 11

Emily is going to wait to see what Avryl can find before doing anything else.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

"What I need from you is not to verify delivery of package," she requested. "At least not yet. We have one chance to do this right, and it hangs on the fact that the data is still somewhere in between. Even so, this is going to be difficult at best."

She started taking activating all the goodies that turned her AR gear into a hacking suite. It wasn't her desktop rig, but it was what she had going for her right now.


Okay, so, I need you to tell me, OOC, what you want to do at this point, and how you plan on going about it.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

What I'd like to do is break into the payment system to see if I could get any information on who might've hired BART for the courier job. Avryl has both keyboard and processor add-ons for her AR gear, as well as a hacking suite. Can she do this from where she's at, or is it location specific?


You can attempt to hack the Met-Ex system from here, but having physical access to the Pylon where the package was deposited would make it easier. And would also get you noticed by a whole lot of security cameras, and probably Metro Sec. Your attempt to hack it would almost certainly be detected. You are free to try that, but you do have other options available to you, if all you want to know is who paid what, and when.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

The who what and when is what I think we're interested in, but the only alternative I can think of is if there's a public surveillance system I could get access to. If we could get an image, Emily could do something with that.


Avryl Grimaldi wrote:
The who what and when is what I think we're interested in, but the only alternative I can think of is if there's a public surveillance system I could get access to. If we could get an image, Emily could do something with that.

You have the highest relevant reputations available to you in the entirety of the PC roster. Just going to put that out there.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Oh…well, I suppose I could mind meld with the Hacker collective to see what can be done to find this info. Maybe bring fellow Eggheads into the mix if we need to invent something off the cuff. Was that the idea?


I can't tell you what to do with your numbers, only that if you're worried about being caught hacking a major public service's payment system, you might want to ensure that you have some kind of tool that will help that not happen. Since you don't currently have anything like that in your repertoire...


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Well, there is the fact that I'm surrounded by a bunch of odds and ends. I could put together a small device that gets attached to the pylon that allows me to hack remotely, maybe even create multiple ones that misdirect attempts to backtrack me.


So do you want to try and build something that requires you to have physical access to the Postal Pylon, or do you want to check among your contacts to see if there's a less "immediately arrested" option?


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Let's try the former. Maybe Wally?


Do your thing.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Okay, I'll use my Freelancer's Network to find someone in my hacker's group (?) to see if there's someone who can help me get the info without getting arrested. My rep with the Hackers is 3, and with the Eggheads, it's 2. I'll also burn 2 action points to better my chances of making a success.

networking 4d6+5: 4d6 + 5 ⇒ (2, 1, 1, 1) + 5 = 10

I think I blow'd it.


You can only ever get one additional d6 on your roll from the use of an action point, as detailed in the rules.

The Rules wrote:
Any one check may only have an additional 1d6 added to it, regardless of how many AP are spent, or when.

Please remember to ask the GM or refer to the rules if you aren't sure about the mechanic.

Please also reroll your reputation check, as I did in This Post.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

Sorry 'bout that. This has clearly not been my week.

networking check, 2d6+2 (Eggheads)+3 (Hackers)+1d6 (1 action point): 3d6 + 5 ⇒ (3, 4, 3) + 5 = 15


I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend, we will be picking back up shortly.


Unfortunately, despite Avryl's best efforts to come up with someone in her network of fellow tech-weenies and digital cowboys that has an in with the postal service, she's unable to find even a single name. No one can help her on the basis of her good name and their position alone.

However, if Avryl wants to call in a couple of markers, she could engage in a Useful Action against her Eggheads Reputation, which will tally up a bit of a reduction against her Reputation for a while, until she earns enough social credit with her Culture to make up for it.

Getting data out of a postal pylon without breaking security (it's definitely breaking the law, though) will be a Major Useful Action, and puts Avryl in danger of ending up on the outs with her Culture for a while. Basically, if she asks for anything again any time soon, she will have to keep her head down, as her fellow Eggheads will have gotten the word that she asks for things she can't frequently pay back.

So, she'd like to do this, she can, and it will get her a guaranteed positive result.


Female Egghead (Freelancer)
Attributes:
INIT 6 | SPD (Base) 5 | SPD (Run) 50 | TGH/RES 1/2 | Bruises 20 | Willpower 21 | Perception 15

I'm going for it. I'm engaging the Major Useful Action vs. my Eggheads rep.

"Bugger all! Not one damn hit…"

She's more than a little frustrated that she can't get what she needs, hems and haws a little, but finally comes to a decision…

"I'm about to put myself on the outs with some people I hold in high regard," she says. "Considering however that, if I don't, the future survival of two people I give a damn about goes down quite a bit, I'll hope that you appreciate what I'm about to do."

And with that, she makes a call to ask a really BIG favor.


The call takes about ten minutes, with one person passing you to another, passing you to another.

Eventually, you get told to wait for a call that will be coming to you, which happens almost immediately after you end the call with a middle-aged man who specializes in Puppet repairs, who everyone calls Mech-Miser.

The secure alert flashes on your AR view, telling you the call is coming in encrypted. The person on the other end is obscured, with a digitally distorted voice that you can tell is probably female.

"I'm understanding, yes, you need some information off of a postal pylon, no? You are having the desire to snoop, spy, infiltrate, and obtain encrypted data. You speak a lot, but convey little when you do. I listen to your calls. Oh, you speak. So much! But you say little. You use many words for making small statements."

The person on the other end of the line pauses to chuckle.

"I should not linger on your speech, no, mine is also strange to many. You give me the transaction number you wish decrypted and provided to you, now, yes. Then the logs I will scrape, and the evidence I will erase. And then many favors, yes, someone - many someone's! - will come to you for. This is how it is done. Understand? Now, give me the number. Only the number. Do not ask questions, do not converse. The number and only that, or this call is ended."

Assuming you give them the number and nothing else, here, as Avryl's wordy, but not stupid.

"Oh ho ho. This information is interesting, yes? I will give you a name, and an account number, and you will want to read obituaries. And do not worry about your courier, poor courier, being paid. The transaction would not have gone through, no no no. You will see why. Enjoy your mystery. I want no more of it. Do not ask again."

With that, your AR rig registers an incoming data packet.

The name associated with the account is Dwight Kaplan, a name you don't recognize.

Anyone with the Socials Culture Rep of 4 or higher may try to make a Reputation roll to recognize this name. Otherwise, it's time to search the Obits.

51 to 100 of 230 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Down And Out At The Gates Of Heaven All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.