Strike the Earth: Histories of Greed and Determination

Game Master djdust

A Dwarf Fortress Inspired Kingdom Building Campaign

Campaign Reference
Campaign Map
Battle Maps
Party Inventory


1,251 to 1,300 of 1,491 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>

Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

Goggeck ponders what ritualistic purpose this bizarre arrangement could portend.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Info | Battle Maps

Goggeck doesn't recognize the beetle as any religious iconography.

Reading the site, Brunhild is able to tell that the carving is a focal point for a spell already cast long ago, waiting for specific environmental conditions to be met before triggering.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

Unable to tell the exact conditions that would trigger the spell to go off, Brunhild informed the group...and carefully made her way past it. The area was well and truly looted, which was good and proper. Now it was time to press forward.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

Adu peeks around the corner. "Can we get to the sarcophagus from the other side, or is there another magical carving blocking the path? If we can get there I say we open it. Make sure there's not another undead something just waiting to break free."


Info | Battle Maps

The rest of the room is clear, and the sarcophagus is approachable from all sides of the dais.


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

"Aye. Not one unliving shall be left unchallenged in this place."


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

Never sure if a knowledge roll can be assisted. Did we get the Arcana check?

Glor considers the beetle carving. Bein a tomb and all and with that carving I gotta go with a scarab beetle swarm. That would be bad, but worse if we were not prepared for somethin like it. And the silver and cold iron weapons suggest somethin that might resist more mundane materials...


Info | Battle Maps

The rules on Aid Another don’t specifically rule out any Skills. Aid another on Kn. Checks makes sense to me in non-combat situations. PC1 has most of it figured out, then comes along PC2 with the final piece of the puzzle. Although, since Speaking is a free action, maybe that can apply in combat as well.

So, Yes, you know about the conjuration spell. And unless someone specifically says otherwise, I always assume PCs share what they know with the party.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

”It’s a risk to open it up. I’d bet a copper that doing so would summon a swarm. Now, disabling traps like this is something I know that I need to work on. I’m better an using magic devices than disabling them. A big difference. But there’s nothing I can do about it now. What we could do is be prepared to run the second the spell goes off. Such magic is rarely indefinite. So all we’d need to do is edit the room and wait for them to vanish.”


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

Me blasts 'll work jus fine against swarms. I say we just open the box and be ready ta fight. Ifin a swarm shows up it'll be me focus.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

Brunhild nodded. ”Good to know. Well then, let’s do it.”


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

"Fall back to your safe distance first.", Goggeck intones.


Info | Battle Maps

Place yourself on the map as you wish!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

Adu's 'safe distance' is as far away as possible. Specifically, she makes sure she's on the other side of the door. "Um, you guys have this, right? I'll even pray to Torag for you!"

Torag, let's see, you like...metal? And these dwarves are carrying metal weapons! So you want them to win, right? Not the creepy undead who use claws and bones and stuff.

Recasting bless, since I'm sure the first one has worn off by now.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

At a good spot, ready to go. Casting Shield before we start. If anyone else wants it, just say so and I’ll mark off a spell slot


Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

"Seems awfully ornate for Droskarites. Must be someone really bloody important." Hezekh says, backing away and loading his crossbow.


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8
Brunhild Liefdottir wrote:
At a good spot, ready to go. Casting Shield before we start. If anyone else wants it, just say so and I’ll mark off a spell slot

Shield is personal. Also, if I understand the room right you have no line of sight to the "box. Glor is up at the doorway. Was not sure if that was intentional.


Info | Battle Maps

Right about Shield. The doors to the room are opened, so Brunhild has line of sight on the sarcophagus. However, no one is at the sarcophagus, who's going to open this thing?

I'll highlight the sarcophagus on the map in red, and the location of the carving in green.


Info | Battle Maps

I'll admit, the beetle swarm is a cool idea, but not the one I had when writing the adventure!

The Commander nudges Urist forward. The seasoned soldier gruffly obliges, and as he ascends the steps of the dais, begins relating a story.

"This reminds me of that one time in the old fort. Deep in the mines, past three layers of the Underdark, we came across a strange temple, built of solid rock which was frigid to the touch and could not be heated, and was impenetrable even to our adamantine picks. In the middle of this temple was a wonderfully beautiful longsword stuck into this rock. None of our mightiest warriors could free it from the rock, but when it came my turn to try, it slipped out with the greatest of ease. But, pulling that sword was my greatest mistake, lads, for it opened a portal to the depths of the Abyss, and an entire army of demons rent forth and annihilated us all..."

Urist trails off, unsure of his own telling of the story, until Helga points out, "That's not your story, Urist. It's mine."

The two fearless leaders reach the marble sarcophagus, and with a nod, lift off the heavy lid. Peering inside, they look awfully confused. But, no time for ponderings, as soon as they lift the lid, a rumbling sound begins to echo from the chamber.

Just then, the spell cast on the floor carving triggers with a flash of light. The etching of the beetle begins to take solid form, climbing out of the very stone. Green gemstone eyes burn fiercely as a large scarab beetle, formed out of solid earth, threatens the tomb invaders!

DC 15 Kn. Planes:
The creature before you is an Earth Elemental Beetle! Beware its poisonous bite!

Initiatives:

Adu: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Brunhild: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Glor: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Goggeck: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Hezekh: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Toulbe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Urist: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Helga: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Stone Beetle: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Round 1: Bold May Act!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 1dmg)
Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 1dmg)
Glor (Bless, 1dmg)

Stone Beetle
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)

I forgot to upload the image of this guy to my google drive. Will have to add it to the map once I get home. Until then, it is located at the large green circle at the entrance to the tomb chamber, near Glor and Hezekh.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

K. Planes: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Adu has no idea what the hell that creature is, other than ugly, terrifying, and presumably not undead. Which meant...

She draws herself up to her full height, a manic grin on her face. "Hey ugly! RUN AWAY!"

Casting Command. Will DC16 to negate. (DC17 if the suggestion results in a peaceful act, but I don't think fleeing would count.) On a failure, the beetle must use it's entire next turn to move away from Adu as quickly as possible, provoking AOOs as it goes.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

Having no idea what it was, Brunhild didn’t feel comfortable trying to figure out how to arrange her runes to make her attacks baneful. So instead she spoke a word of power to enchant her arrows and fired.

Swift action arcane for +1 enchantment bonus, and attack with point blank shot

Hit: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 5) + 4 = 14


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

When Goggeck sees the bizarre creature, he does not hesitate. He yells as he charges!

With Dwarf Inquisitor alternative class bonus, Goggeck counts as level 4.5 for Judgements, so he has a second one to use today.

Smiting: This judgment bathes the inquisitor’s weapons in a divine light. The inquisitor’s weapons count as magic for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction. At 6th level, the inquisitor’s weapons also count as one alignment type (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful) for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction. The type selected must match one of the inquisitor’s alignments. If the inquisitor is neutral, she does not receive this bonus. At 10th level, the inquisitor’s weapons also count as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction (but not for reducing hardness).

Mwk Longhammer, charge, power attack: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (6, 4) + 9 = 19

AOO:

Mwk Longhammer, power attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 4) + 9 = 18


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

Hezekh fires his bolt.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

...then swears in fluent Terran as the bolt misses completely.


Info | Battle Maps

Goggeck closes in and brings the hammer down! He breaks off a sizeable chunk of rock matter, but the stone beetle still seems to resist even his magic hammer.

Hezekh continues to struggle with this confounded contraption they call a crossbow. The beetle seems to understand Hezekh's string of curses and laughs along with him.

Brunhild fares better with her hornbow, but her arrow bounces off the beetle's stone carapace.

Beetle Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Adu commands the beetle to flee. It seems unphased.

Round 1: Bold May Act!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 1dmg)
Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 1dmg)
Glor (Bless, 1dmg)

Stone Beetle (14dmg)
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

Hit: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Blunt Silver Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 1) + 4 = 10

Brunhild frowned as she fired another arrow. She wished that she knew what it was. Then she could ensure that her arrows hit with full force. As it was, she just went for a blunt arrow. Perhaps that would crack the shell? It was worth a shot.


Info | Battle Maps

That'll be your Round 2 turn, Brunhild. Still waiting on Toulbe and Glor to post.


Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

"That thing is laughing at me! It's like it speaks Terran!" Hezekh says, throwing down his crossbow.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

”It can understand ye?! Bloody hell, what is it?”


Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

"Most things that speak Terran are o' the ground, creatures o' stone an' dirt an' the very earth itself."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

Mildly frustrated by the way the beetle had ignored her command, Adu latches onto this possibility. "Maybe it only speaks Terran. I'll have to try yelling at it in that language instead."


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

Its earth against earth, it is. Glor states as he gathers earth him and fires a blast of the material at the summoned creature.

Earth Blast: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 182d6 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1, 2) + 9 + 1 = 13


Info | Battle Maps

Toulbe Delays!

Glor fires an earthen bullet against the beetle, blasting away more rock from the summoned creature. The broken off bits of stone from the beetle begin to conglomerate on the ground. They merge and form into a small earthen creature next to the beetle.
init: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

The large stone beetle turns its crushing mandibles on Glor!
Bite: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
dmg: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Glor Fort: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Grab: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27
The pincers grab Glor and give him a good squeeze. A burning slime coat the mandibles, but Glor resists its petrifying effect. Most be his own earthen affinity. The mandibles hold him tight, no matter how hard Glor struggles. Glor is grappled! But so is the beetle.

Urist and Helga look up from the sarcophagus to see the mayhem erupt. The look to each other and nod in determination. Urist fires his crossbow as Helga charges down the dais steps.
Crossbow+Bless: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 3 + 1 = 13
PA Slam+Charge+Bless: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 20
PA dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Round 1: Bold May Act!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 1dmg)

Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)
Small Earth Creature
Glor (Bless, 13dmg, grappled)
Stone Beetle (28dmg, grappled)
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 1dmg)

That’s you Toulbe! Goggeck, Hezekh, and Adu can act in Round 2.


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

Goggeck does his best to baet said earth into powder.

Mwk Longhammer, power attack, bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 6 + 1 = 23

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 6) + 9 = 18

AOO:

Mwk Longhammer, power attack, bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 1 = 14

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 6) + 9 = 20


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

Adu decides to test out her new theory by yelling at the beetle in Terran.

"Няхай ідзе! Цяпер!"

Terran:
"Let him go! Now!"

I really hope I'm not just wasting my spells...

Once again casting Command. Will DC17 to negate, since I'd say this does qualify as a peaceful act. On a failure, the beetle has to drop whatever it's holding, which in this case is Glor.


Male Gnome Bard 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF15 | Hit Points 24/24 | Saves: F +3, R +5, W +4, +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +8

Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Toulbe looked alarmed as things started going sideways once again into combat. He tilted his head and scratched it as he tried to think. "You know, this is getting out of hand. Now the floor is attacking us!" he said before running up and attempting to crack the rock with his frying pan.

Attack!!!: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 1 = 11

He joins the front line in an attempt to confuse the beetle like thing.


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

While you have Glor’s total damage correct I wanted to note that the beetle did 12 points to Glor as he as Flesh of Stone for 1 DR. But he also accepted a point of burn earlier. So he is down 13 but one point is non-lethal.


Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

Leaving his nigh-useless crossbow, Hezekh strikes out with his steel fist.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Due to Pummeling Strike, if those both hit, count them as a single hit of 18 damage before applying DR.


Info | Battle Maps

Thanks Glor, I thought you had DR of some sort, but I couldn't find it on your character sheet. Noted in the initiative list.

Toulbe rushes into the fray and gives the stone beetle a good whack. Dink! goes his frying pan against the rock carapace.

Goggeck smashes down with his longhammer, knocking off further chunks of rock from the beetle form. Hezekh follows with his formula one-two punch, steel fist adding to the damage. Again, the accumulated rubble conglomerates and forms into another small earthen creature.

Brunhild chips off more rock with an arrow from afar, while Adu tries to compel the beetle to drop Glor from its maw.
Beetle Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
The jaws hold tight!

The smaller earthen things join the assault.
Red Slam vs Toulbe: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Blue Slam vs Hezekh: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Both miss their respective targets.

Round 2: Bold May Act!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 1dmg)
Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)
Small Earth Creature (Red, Blue)
Glor (Bless, DR1/-, 12dmg, 1pt Burn, grappled)
Stone Beetle (59dmg, grappled)
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 1dmg)


Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

Not trying to break out of the grapple, Glor manifests a Kinetic Blade from his open hand and attacks the beetle with it. Release me by The power o’ earth! he shouts as he swings.

Kinetic Blace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 232d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 1) + 9 = 13


Info | Battle Maps

Glor forms an obsidian blade from his bare hand and thrusts it into the beetle currently holding him in its mandibles, bringing it one step closer to defeat. All in all, the earthen insect looks to be crumbling. It still poses a threat though.

With a +20 total CMB it auto-succeeds at maintaining the grapple.
While the stone beetle keeps Glor in its pincers, it sways a bit, uneven in its broken form, and then slams its entire tonnage against Hezekh.
Slam!: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
dmg: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (6, 6) + 5 = 17
Hezekh finds himself momentarily crushed and pinned against the wall and a moving mass of earth. Muscles rip, bones snap, but Hezekh lands on his feet, still in the fight.

Urist comes to Toulbe’s rescue, dropping his crossbow in favor of a small blade.
Kukri+Bless: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 1 = 11
He misses the small earthen creature, swinging over its head.

Helga takes her axes to the one endangering Hezekh.
PA Slam+Bless: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 1 = 22
PA dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
PA Slam+Bless: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 1 = 24
PA dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Her ghostly blades chop through the creature, rendering it back into dust.

Round 3: Bold May Act!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 18dmg)
Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)

Small Earth Creature (Red)
Glor (Bless, DR1/-, 12dmg, 2pt Burn, grappled)
Stone Beetle (67dmg, grappled)
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 1dmg)

Toulbe acts in Round 2. Goggeck, Hezekh, Brunhild, and Adu Act in Round 3.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

Hit stone beetle: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (5, 5) + 2 = 12

Brunhild moved forward to get a clear shot. Part of her wanted to try coaxing the right enchantments out of her bow, but she didn’t know how much longer Glor could last. So she drew another blunt arrow and sent it flying into the creature. She prayed that it would at least do something.


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

Seeing Glor still in danger, Goggeck continues his asssult against the stone beast!

Mwk Longhammer, power attack, bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 1 = 10

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 5) + 9 = 17

AOO:

Mwk Longhammer, power attack, bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 = 13

Currently magical Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 3) + 9 = 17


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 19 (T: 13, can't be FF)| Saves (+2 vs illusions): F:+4, R:+4, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +0, CMD: +12, | Init: +6 | Perc. +6, SM +8 | Spells: (1st) 3/6

Adu resists the urge to bang her head against the nearest wall. Either this is the most stubborn beetle known to man, or it doesn't speak either of those languages. And either way I've wasted two spells and accomplished nothing. Oh well, back to the same old same old.

She doesn't like doing the same thing over and over. But when fighting, she supposes one has to make the occasional sacrifice. So with a heavy sigh she loads her crossbow with another blunt bolt and fires it at the creature.

Light Crossbow, Bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 = 12
B. Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Said bolt promptly pings off the nearby wall. Now she also has to resist the urge to just throw the damn thing in frustration. She mutters under her breath, "'Just use a crossbow,' they said; 'It's not that hard,' they said." It's unclear who 'they' refers to, but whoever it is clearly has made it onto Adu's s$!! list.


Male Dwarf Brawler (constructed pugilist, steel-breaker, winding path renegade) 3

"Urk!" Hezekh cries, in shock and pan as he is suddenly slammed into the wall by the beetle. Then he retaliates.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Gnome Bard 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF15 | Hit Points 24/24 | Saves: F +3, R +5, W +4, +2 vs illusions | Init +2 | Perc +8

Toulbe does his best to inspire the others. While not really a recipe about eating rocks, he starts rattling off about how to cook using hot rocks in a stew.


Info | Battle Maps

Toulbe inspires everyone to finish the job quickly. There's supper to be had.

Goggeck swings again, but this time his hammer bounces off the cracked rock carapace.

Brunhild fires again, her arrow lodges into a crack in the beetle and dislodges another chunk of rock. By now, the thing looks less like a beetle and more like a mound of rubble on six legs, with Glor in its pincers.

Adu tries to match Brunhild's archery skills, but her crossbow bolt ricochets off the summoned guardian.

Hezekh, too, tries to finally fell the beetle, but his steel fist lacks the inertia to carry through.

The pressure is on! It's pretty clear to everyone that one more well placed strike could bring the beast crumbling down.

But first, it's little offshoot continues to attack Toulbe!
Slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
dmg: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
The small rock creature slams its weight into Toulbe. It probably does not enjoy being included in his dinner plans.

Round 3: Bold May Act! Everyone is Inspired!
Goggeck (Bless, 1dmg)
Hezekh (Bless, 18dmg)
Brunhild (Bless, Shield, 1dmg)
Adu (Bless, 1dmg)
Small Earth Creature (Red)
Glor (Bless, DR1/-, 12dmg, 2pt Burn, grappled)
Stone Beetle (74dmg, grappled)
Urist (Bless, 1dmg)
Helga (Bless, 6dmg)
Toulbe (Bless, 7dmg)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf GeoKineticist 3 Armor Class 17, T 13, FF14 | Hit Points 28/32 | Saves: F +8, R +7, W +5, +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +3 | Perc +9/+11 stonework, Sense Motive +8

You’ve not got me ya big block of stone. I’ve got you! Glor bellows as he stabs at the stone holding him.

Kinetic Blade: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 2 = 282d6 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (4, 1) + 9 + 1 = 15

Confirm?: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 212d6 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 9 + 1 = 14


Info | Battle Maps

Glor drives his obsidian blade into the beetles gemstone eyes and the earthen insectoid groans and shudders and finally crumbles into dust and rubble. Toulbe will be glad to note that the smaller earthen creature also crumbles into dust once its progenitor falls.

Combat Over!

Once the dust settles, amid the rubble is a rough light-brown gemstone, about the size of a clenched fist. It detects as magical.

DC 26 Spellcraft:
This is an Earth Elemental Gem. If the gem is crushed, smashed, or broken (a standard action) a Large Earth Elemental appears as if summoned by a Summon Nature's Ally Spell. The elemental is under control of the creature that broke the gem.


Occultist VMC Magus (3) Wounds (5) HP (27) Saves (6/5/6, +2 Hardy) AC23 (20/13/17) CMD (18) Lvl 1 (4/4) Transmutation (4/4) Abjuration (4/4) Arcane Pool (3/4)

I believe that I Auto-Identify. But if not...

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

With the threat ended, Brunhild walked over. ”That was something to behold! Looks like there’s more power in you than I first thought.” She said to Glor, before kneeling to examine the body. Before he could respond she said ”Will’ya look at that? This is an Earth Elemental Gem.” She looked around, as if expecting everyone to be in awe. ”It’s quite useful. If the gem is crushed, smashed, or broken in some similar fashion, a Large Earth Elemental will appear for a time. The elemental will be under control of the creature that breaks the gem. This was a tough tunnel to dig, but we found a rich vein.”


Male LG Dwarf Inquisitor of Trudd (Exarch, Preacher) 3 | HP: 28/30 Non-lethal: 0 | AC: 16 (10 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 14 | F: +8, R: +1, W: +8 | Init: +5 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 | Speed 20ft | Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4| Determination: 1/2 per Day |Active conditions:

Goggeck heads over to Glor to aid his companion to his feet.

"Aye, Brunhild. As tough as elementals are, we are the Children of Moradin!"

1,251 to 1,300 of 1,491 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strike the Earth: Histories of Greed and Determination All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.