Stones of the Ancients

Game Master Seamus Greenbottle


101 to 150 of 175 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around and reading! I won't close recruitment until early next week probably, so anyone who would like to still apply is more than welcome!


Jia is melee as well.


Daren Varkon wrote:
Daren is a switch. The idea is that he uses a bow while he closes and then drops it to draw his blade to cut down enemies. All his feats will be melee, while his ranger path is archer.

I have a switch-hitting ranger in PFS. They're pretty fun! Sometimes the lack of precise shot can be a pain, but that's what the sword's for right?


Hailina is a charmer sorceress.


I have Lukas at least roughly envisioned as a frontline support character, so I'd be up front with the likes of Noro and Jia, if not hitting as hard! If need be, I could focus him more towards healing, but his mystery isn't particularly well suited towards it.


They're certainly no replacement, but summoned creatures can assist with the front line.


drat another barbarian....

looks like I might have competition after all...

just a note Noro is most liekly barbarian the whole way if any multi class does come up then it would be fighter...


Because (I guess) I'm a bit obsessive about lists here is the submissions so far by class. Please ring in if I missed you, it was an oversight only and not intended as a slight.

Barbarian
Hack Corchran
Noro Kas

Bard
Joshua Dawnblossom - human dervish

Cleric
Venator Legatti - Desna?
Orren Idleveil - Nethys

Inquisitor
Magnauk - half-orc Erastil

Magus
Hamish - tiefling

Monk
Jia Li - tien monk of many styles

Oracle
Lukas Halvson - half-elf

Ranger
Daron Vankon - half-elf

Rogue
Navarro Nedraid - swashbuckler
Nahal Sakashi - Tien
Fingers Mitchell - cutpurse/burglar

Sorceror
Hailina - tiefling
Jarryn Silvertongue - human

Witch
Megekki - human scarred witch
Osei Akroku - Mwangian

Wizard
Terwin Thandergist


Yes I worship Desna, and thanks for organizing it. Perhaps you should divide it between roles, since me and Orren are going for the Mysthic Theurge path. Thus we won't be extraordinary good at a Cleric/Healing role, and the party may lack a better healer. Just an idea ^_^

I'm starting to think it would be pretty interesting to have 2 MTs at the party.


"Fingers" Mitchell wrote:
Because (I guess) I'm a bit obsessive about lists here is the submissions so far by class.

You might want to review the GM's list of accepted submissions on the Campaign Info tab.

As an example, he has 16 characters listed compared to your 18, one of whom is a witch, but is neither of the two witches you have listed and is not on your list at all. Now, several people may be ready for him to add them to his list, but he said that until you have made his list, you should be checking with him to see what you need to do to complete your application.


hustonj wrote:
"Fingers" Mitchell wrote:
Because (I guess) I'm a bit obsessive about lists here is the submissions so far by class.

You might want to review the GM's list of accepted submissions on the Campaign Info tab.

As an example, he has 16 characters listed compared to your 18, one of whom is a witch, but is neither of the two witches you have listed and is not on your list at all. Now, several people may be ready for him to add them to his list, but he said that until you have made his list, you should be checking with him to see what you need to do to complete your application.

Well now, don't i feel like a bit of ninny. I didn't look in that tab at all, and just duplicated the work, and not any better. Perhaps I should;ve made a Perception roll (or at least an INT one...) Oh well, maybe i can earn a D- for effort...

My OCD thanks you for pointing out a much better (and complete) list.


Yes, the plan is to head for MT here. However, I plan to focus more on the cleric side (relatively speaking), and perhaps work something out with the DM to keep my channels progressing. If I'm lucky enough to be taken.

@Venator:
Perhaps... an all Mystic theurge party?!?! Oh the spells that would be cast.


@Orren: Ha, that would be weird. But two might work nice, as long as one is focusing on the divine and the other at arcane. We've got each others backup and the party has two focused casters, arcane and divine.


Thought I'd give a status update. I am almost done with the background and should make a post with the character before recruitment ends...I hope.


bi0philia here with the barebones of my submission

A Tetori Monk of mixed Varisian/Ulfen ancestry.....I think he'll be fun, Certainly an up-close and personal type, looking to grapple his foes into submission whenever possible

Details to come over the next few days hopefully.


Well, I'm not done reworking the story, or potentially the description, but I've finally got the character to the point that I think he's ready for consideration.

He is currently trained as a pure support character, offering healing and buffing both, along with a little de-buffing for the opposition. Given the nature of the Witch class, a few selection alterations and he can be a more aggressive de-buffer or even gain some actual offensive spell ability. Those sort of build tweaks shouldn't hurt the connection to the story, much (the worst being taking more offensive spells). Swapping the Healing Hex for Evil Eye changes the character's focus for the party, but probably BETTER matches the story (I defaulted to trying to be more useful).


I reworked the list under "Campaign Info" so that it's now listed by class.

Just an FYI, there are still some submissions that need to be reworded (wrong level, no backstory, etc.). I'll definitely give enough notice when I'm going to end recruitment, though, so just make sure you get those changes made!

Loving the submissions so far!


I was looking through the first page and noticed there wasn't mention of starting gold for equipment. Or am I just that blind?


Orren Idleveil wrote:
I was looking through the first page and noticed there wasn't mention of starting gold for equipment. Or am I just that blind?

We'll do 150gp to start across the board, like in PFS.


Greetings. Here's my character, a CE antipaladin. Let's have fun! Have not statted or put equipment yet, but will do so. He's suited for social situations, tanking, and dealing the hurt in close-combat.

Cyrus Melevin
CE Human Antipaladin

A classically handsome man with a soft smile and a philosophical mind. He seems well-versed in the arts of combat and subterfuge and can often be heard preaching freedom—though perhaps at a cost few are willing to pay.

Appearance:
A classically handsome man with a soft smile. He has a lithe frame, muscular and graceful in its movements. His straight black hair is long enough to shade his eyes which seem to have a sly indecipherable intent for whatever they happen to rest on.

Personality:
An enigmatic figure, he believes that one's own self is the best guide and that is enough license to behave how he wants. He speaks eloquently and is often more willing to battle with words than with swords and has a slight inclination for theatrics.

The main thing that keeps him as an antipaladin is his code of conduct rather than allegiance to evil gods. He values the ability to commit acts of evil over actually committing them.

And though others might try to rationalize his atrocities, the mere fact that he wants to commit them is reason enough for him.


Backstory:
Born to a small yet politically powerful sect of followers of the ]Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth in Andoran, Cyrus was raised in the lavish estates of Melevin. He was tutored in Baphomet's teachings and the more unethical arts at a young age by his family and then enrolled in some of the most prestigious institutions Andoran had to offer.

However, Cyrus was intelligent enough to recognize that his entire existence was to be a tool for the Templars and he bided his time, content to learn what he could before seeking the freedom that all espoused in Andoran.

While at university, he fell in with a small group of radicals where his skills found use. He stayed with them for a time, discussing freedom and helping them pursue it—but found that they were too limited in their ideas and were often unwilling to do what was needed.

Eventually, Cyrus became infamous as an anarchist and extremist. House Melevin, worried that he would expose them, planned to send him to allies in Cheliax where he would be disciplined and kept under close watch.

Sensing his chance, Cyrus plotted and poisoned his entourage in the middle of their journey. He then slaughtered his guard and made it look like the work of opportunistic bandits, ensuring what remained of the corpses were unidentifiable to avoid any pursuers.

Finally taking the freedom he had philosophized, he set out to taste what it had to offer.


Reason for being in Sandpoint:
A few months into his escape, he has heard stories about Nybor and Wolf's Ear. While travelling there, rumors of the festival at Sandpoint reached his ears and he changed direction.

A good festival was always appreciated, and if there happened to be ears at the gathering that would hear his words, so much the better.


Why choose an antipaladin?:
I'm not out to cause a group trouble. Read the spiel about dream characters on the board and this character is my roleplay analogue to a dream character. The challenge of roleplaying him appeals to me and I rather would like to do so with a good group. The good there is in both senses of the word. ;)

Can an antipaladin actually work well with a group?:
The short version is it perfectly makes sense for my character to work with a group. In his backstory, he's already shown he'd be more than willing to work with equals. The only reason he betrayed the Templars is because they meant to use him as nothing more than a tool. If treated as an equal, he'd be cooperative.

Forging a relationship with another character would certainly help group cohesion (even if it is about him 'being kept in check'--though he would protest to that, he would make a joke out of it) and if some in the group were interested in his philosophy or in debating it with him--well, that would be enough to hang around.

tl;dr version:

Long version is I don't want people to focus on the EVIL aspect of Cyrus. The CHAOTIC would be far more appropriate. Morality as a whole is a hindrance to him. What matters if a thing be good or evil as long as it is what he wants?

It doesn't mean he'll just kill a shopkeeper because he wants that cloak, or he'll backstab a teammate because he offended him. He can recognize the consequences of his actions just fine, thank you, and quite often doing those things will get him in far more trouble than they're worth. And if someone's offended him, he's far more likely to ignore them rather than kill them. This really just means that when doing evil is the most reasonable course of action, then he will do so without hesitation. He does not choose evil BECAUSE it is evil, but because it leads him to the happiness he seeks.

If an evil being or god approached him to team up only because they were both 'evil' or something, he'd be more likely to tell them to stuff it. Offers of helping him gain power and whatnot would also be ineffective since he's quite content with what he has and he believes if he wants something, he should overcome and earn it for himself. Even if Baphomet himself ordered him to do such and such, it would have to be something that agrees with Cyrus. Very self-motivated chap.

On another angle, let us consider that Cyrus is much of a philosophical bent. Cyrus doubts the existence of Good and Evil. In the world of Golarion, you know that they're quite concrete but he personally believes that he is beyond such constructs as Good and Evil and Law and Disorder. He can Detect Good and whatnot of course, but he doubts the validity of such things. In the Pathfinder alignment system he is Chaotic Evil, but in terms of roleplaying it's more ambiguous. I would prefer letting people make up their own decisions about him, which is what he would prefer--even when a Detect Evil or Detect Chaos spell shows him quite concretely in the system as what he is. And what he'd like for people to question is how valid is it? What makes Evil or Chaos detectable, and what would deem one so? Is it enough for a man to be convicted and sent to prison simply because he came up as 'Evil' when a detect spell was cast upon him? (I imagine this would be a great story or plot hook, but I digress.)

Cyrus does not persuade people to his opinion--instead, he encourages them to develop the power to form their own. He does not know if he has the truth; he only has questions.

If it helps you imagine what the character would be like, his manner is alike V from V for Vendetta and his philosophy has heavy anarchist and Nietzchean influences.


Have to admit an antipaladin of Calistria played as a vigilante has always been a fancy of mine. I rather like this take on it, Cyrus. Best of luck!


Ha! Hailina will have fun with that anti-paladin. She will do her goddess' work, and try to with him. She likes to flirt with danger. Hehe.


Very interesting character! If for no other reason, I like seeing something beyond the CE = slobbering maniac stereotype. Orren would probably consider him rather extreme, but pleasantly debatable I think.


This is Wolfgang Rolf's character.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Seeing as now there are 4 rogues in the game and no pure Fighters, I will consider removing Fingers from consideration and submit instead Zarkic the half-orc fighter. Formerly hired muscle and a body guard in Riddleport, he is in Sandpoint until the heat dies down up north, working on Gorvi's janitor crew.

I will get him all aliased up, if selected for the game.

Crunch:

Zarkic
Male Half-Orc Fighter 1
N Medium Humanoid (human, orc)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception -1
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +2 Dex)
hp 12 (1d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will -1
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
Melee Bite (Toothy) +0 (1d4+2/x2) and
Gauntlet (from Armor) +5 (1d3+4/x2) and
Javelin +1 (1d6+4/x2) and
Orc double axe +2 (1d8+4/1d8+2/x3) and
Unarmed strike +5 (1d3+4/x2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 10
Base Atk +1; CMB +5; CMD 17
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (Orc double axe)
Traits Armor Expert, Brute (APG)
Skills Acrobatics -1 (-5 jump), Climb +5, Craft (painting) +4, Escape Artist -1, Fly -1, Intimidate +7, Ride -1, Stealth -1, Swim +1; Racial Modifiers +2 Intimidate
Languages Common, Orc
Other Gear Scale mail, Javelin (2), Orc double axe, Artisan's tools (Craft [painting]), Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Belt pouch (empty), Flint and steel, Mess kit, Pot, Rope, Soap, Torch (10), Trail rations (5), Waterskin, 24 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Armor Expert -1 Armor check penalty.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.

Background and Personality and Reason for being in Sandpoint:

Raised in the rough and tumble streets of Riddleport and brought up in Boss Croat's half-orc gang, Zarkic remembers little of any family life. The gang has been is family for as long as he can remember, and he fits in well among it's mostly half-orc members. The Boss bought him the orc weapon and armor and often uses him as a bodyguard due to his size and fierce outlook.

Huge in size, strong in arm, and raised to be hired muscle, Zarkic excels at intimidation and muscle work. He has made a little extra money in bare-knuckles street fights sometimes ending up with a mouthful of his opponent if the rage takes over.

His only real skill is his power and ferocity. Both of which he has in abundance. He is not smart or clever, and has an under-developed sense of right and wrong, those concepts have never really bothered him. He looks out for number one first as best he can, and the rest be damned. Paradoxically, he has a talent and love of painting, often scenes of pathos he sees in his life in the dark streets of Riddleport.

Zarkic secretly longs for a life away from the blood and violence where he can paint in a serene and peaceful place. He has a very idealized knowledge of the outside world and until now, has never left Riddleport.

Of late, he's had to flee Riddleport as the Gendarmes are cracking down on his ring. He temporarily moved to Sandpoint and went to work with a cousin for Gorvi, the Sandpoint trash service. He pushes his cart, a little embarrassed by the low state, but always looking for a good opportunity where his muscle and questionable ethics can be of use. He also has taken to painting the sunsets in the western sky over the Gulf of Varisia, including the Old Light in many sketches.

Appearance:
Huge of size and muscle bound, he is tall even for half-orcs at 6'8. His tusky teeth are overgrown and protrude making his smile even more intimidating. His hair and eyes are dark, and his voice deep and rough. All in all, a very intimidating persona.


Ahhh... Zarkic. I see an interesting relationship....


posting slowed up some I see.


I do believe the deadline was supposed to be tomorrow or something like that, wasn't it?

Is it set Seamus?


On 23 October, he said "probably" early this week.

On 25 October, he said:

Seamus Greenbottle wrote:
I'll definitely give enough notice when I'm going to end recruitment, though, so just make sure you get those changes made!

He hasn't said anything else on the subject, since, so I'm guessing the second comment will trump the first one for now.


Hi Seamus, I think I'm going to have to withdraw from this game. I've been applying to many, and now I think I have reached my limit. Best of luck to you and the adventurers!


Hey all, just wanted to give a quick update—

I'm going to end recruiting tomorrow night at 12:00am Thursday, October 31. If there's anyone out there who has been thinking of submitting, or if your character hasn't been finalized yet, make sure you get it done by tomorrow night!

Obviously feel free to ask any questions that you have about your submissions.


Remember, if you don't see your name on the list in the Campaign Info tab, there's something yet to be done!


Updated the character sheet with what is left of the gold spent on gear. Took into account that we only get 150 gp, as you have mentioned above Seamus.

Good luck everyone.


All done statting up! You can see everything on my profile or on the sheet on Mythweavers (though I update my profile here and tend to forget about the character sheet).


*background drums*


Not really happy with my background write-up, but watching the end of the World Series and wishing I was in bed already . . .. Guess if it ain't good enough, it an't.


Just checking in to say I'm still about and eager, good luck all!


Oh! It's closing earlier than I thought. Crossing my fingers for my first pbp selection!

Good luck, all.

edit for clarity/full disclosure: I'm in one other pbp on here, but it's more of an experimental 'jump in and play' with multiple GMs kinda-thing. Haven't ever made it through this more-traditional selection process though.

Sorry for any confusion :P


as much as I would like to play this game, I also hope to see first time PbP players get a shot as well.

so good luck all then.


Good luck everyone! I really hope I get in. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Zarkic the half-orc bodyguard WILL have something to say about it if he doesn't get in. It won't be pretty....


Best of luck to everybody, and remember, if you're gonna be going after gobs, swing by Savah's Armory for the best gear in town!


Did some editing to the personality and gear description sections, mostly small stuff that doesn't change the content, just a touch up to make the reading a lot smoother.

Is it too late to say I am a very sensitive person who will cry profusely if not picked? ; p


Wolfgang Rolf wrote:
Is it too late to say I am a very sensitive person who will cry profusely if not picked? ; p

Is it too late to say I am a very mean person who will laugh at seeing that?

^_^


Walter das Sombras wrote:
Wolfgang Rolf wrote:
Is it too late to say I am a very sensitive person who will cry profusely if not picked? ; p

Is it too late to say I am a very mean person who will laugh at seeing that?

^_^

LOL.

No it is not, but your character is chaotic good wouldn't laughing at someone who's crying go against alignment? : p


Oh you're talking about the character? Sorry then...

Venator touches your shoulder in a comforting way, granting you a Bit of Luck on you next Will save to avoid crying profusely (Next round you may roll a d20 twice and use the better result on your action).


Walter das Sombras wrote:

Oh you're talking about the character? Sorry then...

Venator touches your shoulder in a comforting way, granting you a Bit of Luck on you next Will save to avoid crying profusely (Next round you may roll a d20 twice and use the better result on your action).

Hah! Maybe you should have went with a neutral evil character.

On a more serious note, I am glad that we have a variety of character alignments here, even chaotic evil! Which if you ask me is a welcome change to the strict non-evil character rules I've witnessed in some threads. I understand that its near impossible to work with a character who's just out to be evil for evils sake, or evil with utter disregard to the consequences, even if they could bring about his/her own death(I'd like to call these type of characters stupid evil instead of chaotic)...I usually find these types of characters very boring, but an evil character truly played as an individual with lax morals and intelligence or at least common sense, can be very refreshing, especially in a group with varied alignments; an evil character thrown in a group filled with nothing but good characters rarely works, and its the same the other way around.


Hi all—I've begun to go through the submissions, but it will likely be a few days until I'm ready to announce my final decisions. Stay posted to your DMs, though, because I'll likely pick a preliminary group quickly, and then add to it.

Thanks!


Stay posted to our DMs, hunh? <eg>

And I've been trying to ignore the conversation about character alignments and play. I can't let this one comment go, though.

Within the rules system, Evil characters do not have "lax morals." They are as dedicated to doing harm to others for personal gain and entertainment as Good characters are to accepting risks for the benefit of others without reward.

Somebody who qualifies as Evil makes the choice to do Evil things more than they make the choice to walk away. Otherwise they would be Neutral.

BTW, I REALLY dislike the alignment system. I prefer game engines that don't use anything like it.


hustonj wrote:

Stay posted to our DMs, hunh? <eg>

Within the rules system, Evil characters do not have "lax morals." They are as dedicated to doing harm to others for personal gain and entertainment as Good characters are to accepting risks for the benefit of others without reward.

Somebody who qualifies as Evil makes the choice to do Evil things more than they make the choice to walk away. Otherwise they would be Neutral.

BTW, I REALLY dislike the alignment system. I prefer game engines that don't use anything like it.

When you say dedicated it really feels that someone has to be a 100% good or a 100% evil to qualify for either alignment, and honestly seeing these type of characters all the time can get boring...to me at least. I just think that good characters become more interesting when they have lets say some "negative qualities" and villains become more intriguing with they have some "redeeming qualities".

Lets take an example, lets say we have a character who's an assassin, now a 100% of the time assassins are going to be considered evil; they get paid to take lives and are fine with that, but lets say he has a redeeming quality like he's a good father to his son, who has no idea what his father does for a living. Does that make him less evil? No, does it make him more interesting? I'd say so, and even then if we don't give him that redeeming quality, lets say he considers himself a professional and wouldn't kill someone unless he's paid to do so, or it would serve his needs somehow, he's still no less evil, and in both examples both are committing evil for their own personal gain, but are more interesting because the first is more lets say human character and the other is more attractive to a reader because of his professional attitude.

What I am trying to say is, just because a character is evil doesn't mean it can't have any redeeming or interesting qualities, not every evil character has to be a sadist who wants to see civilizations topple and people die just to get his kicks, also I should mention that I share your hate for the alignment system myself.

101 to 150 of 175 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / The Stones of the Ancients (Module / AP combo) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.