Ruins of Empire

Game Master EltonJ

Game of Thrones via Pathfinder. This is a birthright campaign using the 1st edition Pathfinder ruleset.
map of Anuire
Player's Domain Tracking Map


51 to 100 of 1,077 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"If you don't wish to marry that one, I am in need of a new handmaiden and might see fit to offer her the position." The Lady sighs at her entertainment being cut short. "I would not be surprised, I am currently having a similar issue when it comes to our neighbor to the north. What do you propose? We do not have an army large enough to assault the Spider where it lives, and I do not know of any scions strong enough to strike it in its lair."


Strange. When I submitted my last post, Lady Barad's post had not yet appeared. And yet, it was published before mine. Perhaps she submitted her post while I was writing mine... Long story short, apologies for not taking it into account!

"I may take you up on the offer," Aglondier chuckles, alluding to the big-boned girl's potential as a handmaiden. "And perhaps her mother could be of service to you as well?"

”Now, concerning the matter at hand,” he continues without waiting for an answer, ”I am not proposing to assault the Spider where it lives – not yet. But the giant spiders that are amassing in the Erebannien must be dealt with, and some tasks cannot be accomplished by armies. Soldiers trudging through the Erebannien could do more harm than good."

"I want you both to accompany me into the Erebannien," Aglondier states bluntly.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"I do hope you mean to bring at least a contingent of guards if we are not bringing armies to bare upon the issue. I for one am no soldier and am not accustomed to traipsing through wooded lands on foot."


"I myself would not dare travel without an escort," Aglondier reassures his guests.

"As for the matter of your northern neighbour, I may have a way to assist you," he continues, his ensuing silence suggesting that such aid would need come at a cost.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Lady Adriana gives the mage lord an off look for but a moment. "Hmm, a gentleman protector offering aid to a poor damsel in distress. Sounds like the starting of a court's tale. What aid do you offer good sir?"


"It would take me some time and substantial means, but I believe that I could draw Ghoere's attention away from Roesone," Aglondier proposes cryptically. "There is great power in the Storm Valley of Rhumannen, which could be used to our advantage."

"However, before I could consider such an involving venture, I would need to get my own affairs in order and I believe that, to this end, you could help me more than I could help myself. To begin with, I am certain that you could broker a lasting peace and agreement between myself and the High Mage Aelies...?"


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"You want me to stick my nose into the affairs of Mages,and you promise to unleash some kind of distracting devastation upon The land of Ghoere. I think I could see my way to helping you, what is it that seems to be the main contention between the two of you fine wizards?"


"My predecessor and the High Mage had long been at odds," the count explains. "But I have heard rumours that the High Mage tires of the contest and myself, I have no desire to pursue the conflict. In fact, I believe that the High Mage and I should be allies and likely, there is much that I could learn from one so wise and knowledgeable."

"To be clear, I have an ulterior motive: the opposition of the High Mage is the reason why Aerenwe has not signed the Pact of Ilien. Were you to assuage the High Mage, I would then ask you to convince Aerenwe to sign the Pact, and thus ensure peace in the region, once and for all."

"And of course, there is the substantial cost of casting such powerful spells, which I cannot afford," Aglondier admits, albeit reluctantly.

For the record: in addition to requiring three Domain Actions, creating the Holding, creating the Ley Line, and casting the spell would cost at least 6 GB and a fair amount of Regency.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"So, you wish three favors then. The Mage, the Queen, and the Coin. For this I gain the boon of a distracted enemy, an enemy who would gobble you up in an instant if I were not standing in his way. But, the first two are only time, and the last only money. Know that I would desire a little more, my coin may purchase your magic, but my service would require some of your own. That homely viper that interrupted us should see fit to join our house for a time, and your firstborn shall school under my tutelage once he or she reaches their thirteenth year." The Lady extends her hand to Rogr."Bargain fairly struck my good Count?"


"It seems only fair that if I ask you to cover the costs of my services, I should cover the cost of yours," Aglondier agrees, smiling. "But then, your coin could not be construed as a favour, could it?"

"Keep in mind that, while this agreement could, by your actions, grant me peace with the High Mage and improved relations with Aerenwe, I risk the wrath of both the Swordmage and Baron Gavin Tael. Some might say tit for tat – at best. It seems to me that in this particular venture, I risk much and you risk very little if anything at all."

He pauses, considering.

"Notwithstanding, the tradition of fosterage is a sure means to ensure lasting peace between nations and so, if you agree to send your own firstborn to Ilien to be tutored under my care, I will send my second child to be schooled under your tutelage – my firstborn is a grown woman, after all!"

"In any case, there is no pressing need to sign an agreement here and now. Perhaps we should enjoy the ball and later tend to the immediate danger of the infestation of spiders along the Spider river, which flows between our lands? I have found that facing darkness often brings us nearer the light, and that shared trials are the best way to forge alliances!"

"As for the homely viper, you are welcome to invite her into your home. Undoubtedly, you would teach her to know her place," he chuckles.

Finally, the count turns to Lord Talbehr. "My apologies. Surely, these discussions were of little interest to you!"


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Missed that. Oh well, even the good lady can misspeak. Hoping Kurt shows back up, but if not we should continue along it seems.


Missed what?


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Your heir.


"Shall we?" the count invites his guests to make their way to the ballroom. "Unless you wish to further discuss our potential arrangement?"


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"Lead on dear sir."


Agondier leads Lord Tahlber and Lady Barad into the main hall where all his guests are awaiting their arrival. They are announced and the spring ball begins! The event is a lavish affair and the courtesans have donned their best attire to impress the new count.

In due time, Agondier finds young Lady Prinpress and makes a point of speaking with her without her mother nearby.

Knowledge, nobility: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 The objective is simply to find an occasion to speak to her without drawing undue attention, which would only give the young lady's mother greater leverage.

"Your mother wants to marry you off, to be rid of you as mothers do," he begins empathically. "But I want to know what it is that you want. If you are to make your way in our society, you will need to make your own decisions and find your own place. After all, your mother is the past and you are the future. Lady Barad, who was impressed by your character, is in need of a new handmaiden. It would be a unique opportunity for you to discover the world. Assuredly, your mother would not approve, but... I am rambling. Tell me about yourself."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Aglondier wants to create a rift between mother and daughter and to convince the young lady that leaving Ilien is the only way for her to both be free and get ahead.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

"I'm just a country noble from Ilien that is looking forward for something good in her life," the young lady answers. "I have to put up with my mother's intrigues to get me married above her station. I'd be happy with a knight bachelor, rather than you, sire."

Diplomacy attempt was barely a success.


"You will have no trouble finding a good and kind gentleman," he assures the young woman, "so long as you speak with your heart as you did just now. And you will always find in me a friend if you remain honest and true."

"Surely, there are many here this evening who would court you if you allowed it," the count continues. "You must choose your own path, as I did. You must make your own choices. And you mustn't let your mother stand in your way."

”Now go! Enjoy yourself! Dance!”

Having urged her to enjoy the ball, Aglondier finds Chamberlain Ja'teem and bids him introduce the young woman to fine, young men – proper knights with little means who would do well to marry such a noblewoman – while, in the meantime, keeping her mother busy.

For his part, the count returns his attention to Lord Tahlber and Lady Barad, and to the other dignitaries of note.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

She goes and dances. She isn't a bad dancer, like at first sight.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Lady Adriana does not join the dance. It would be unbecoming over her to join in such joyful proceedings in her state of mourning. Rather, she watches the goings on of the court in case there is something she might use as leverage.


Can we consider the Prinpress affair resolved, at least for now? Move on to remaining character/domain/court actions? Travel to the forest to fight some giant spiders?!

Unless Lady Barad wants to continue discussing a potential arrangement?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:

Can we consider the Prinpress affair resolved, at least for now? Move on to remaining character/domain/court actions? Travel to the forest to fight some giant spiders?!

Unless Lady Barad wants to continue discussing a potential arrangement?

I think it's resolved for now. No problem. Traveling to the forest to fight giant spiders is an option.


Lady Barad? Does that suit you? Duo + personal guards = fun adventure?


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Sounds doable.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Alright then, lets do it. although I'd feel better if you had a fighter go along with you.


Perhaps we can each have an elite guard of sorts? A fighter-type to accompany us on adventures?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:
Perhaps we can each have an elite guard of sorts? A fighter-type to accompany us on adventures?

Bards and wizards gain 2d6+5 guards if they rule a province.


That should do, shouldn't it?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:
That should do, shouldn't it?

Yeah, they are your personal bodyguards. level 1 warriors instead of fighters, but that should do.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Seems good then.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Alright, shall we get started?


Absolutely! I have my Golden Plumes ready to go! Stat blocs in character profile...


I would do something like 5 spearmen, 5 shieldmen, 1 healer (adept) and 1 guide (expert). Would that work?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:
I would do something like 5 spearmen, 5 shieldmen, 1 healer (adept) and 1 guide (expert). Would that work?

I think so.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

I must just be bad at finding these things. I have been looking page to page trying to find where the different bodyguard units and stats are.


Here are the classes.

And here are some pre-build options!


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Yep the links work, does that work for you Lady Adriana Barad?


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Oh, duh. I was looking all over birthright, didn't even think of pathfinder. I'll pull out the npc codex and get a force together, but we should proceed.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Okay . . .

The Eribannen juts in the tiny city state of Ilien. The control of the forest is supposedly under High Mage Alies, but a small part of it is under Aglondier's control.

It's a green forest, like any other, and El-Hadid's guilds slowly cut trees from the forest. Lately, giant spiders from the Spider River had been found in the forest, frightening foresters. This seems like something for a noble to check out and so the both of you enter the forest in search of these giant spiders.

I'll have you two do perception checks before continuing on.


Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 That won't do!

Golden Plumes, if applicable:

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7 Shieldman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14 Shieldman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11 Shieldman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1 Shieldman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11 Shieldman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 Spearman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19 Spearman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12 Spearman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6 Spearman
Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 Spearman
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 Adept Healer
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 Expert Guide


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:

[dice=Perception]1d20+2 That won't do!

** spoiler omitted **

Only two of your golden plumes managed to spot the web. One of your spearmen and your guide.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

I'll get soldiers up as soon as possible.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Have units in profile.
12d20 ⇒ (15, 20, 6, 17, 11, 19, 1, 6, 11, 6, 18, 15) = 145
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Meanwhile, in the forest, the group spots webs. Spun by giant spiders, the golden plume guide says that you are on the right trail. It seems that the spiders have been making their home here and have been harvesting the local wildlife to live. As there are foxes, birds, and rats all spun up in the webs.


Without needing to be told, the expert Golden Plume guide searches for tracks, which could indicate the path to the heart of the spiders' lair...
Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

In the meantime, Aglondier shares what he knows about these vermin, warning his companions about their poison and webs.
Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Before they continue on their way – moving in wide formation if possible – Aglondier pulls out a scroll and incants a spell. Cast Heightened Awareness


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:

Without needing to be told, the expert Golden Plume guide searches for tracks, which could indicate the path to the heart of the spiders' lair...

[dice=Survival]1d20+8

In the meantime, Aglondier shares what he knows about these vermin, warning his companions about their poison and webs.
[dice=Nature]1d20+9

Before they continue on their way – moving in wide formation if possible – Aglondier pulls out a scroll and incants a spell. Cast Heightened Awareness

Both checks are successfully made. The guide knows where the spiders are hiding by following their tracks. He leads you down the paths where one spider is waiting. But it's surprised to see you there.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Lady Adriana stares at the large beast while her men loose a rain of steel upon the creature.

operation pincushion:
12d20 ⇒ (3, 5, 6, 8, 1, 2, 6, 2, 19, 11, 7, 8) = 78 Well... they are bad at this. Whoever got that 19 is probably going to be the one that gets a promotion.
Confirm crit: 1d20 ⇒ 13 14 to confirm
2d10 ⇒ (10, 3) = 1310 dmg, 13 if the 14 to hit confirms

guard dogs:
bite on the charge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
bite on the charge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

roll initiative for you and your guards:
Spider -- 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


The Golden Plume Shieldmen keep their shields high and ready their swords while the spearmen and the guide fire their bows from behind cover...

longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 ⇒ 71d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 101d8 ⇒ 7
longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 ⇒ 121d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 191d8 ⇒ 7
longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 ⇒ 171d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 81d8 ⇒ 3
longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 ⇒ 81d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 181d8 ⇒ 6
longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 ⇒ 101d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 51d8 ⇒ 1
longbow initiative;attack;damage: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 171d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 71d8 ⇒ 5

For his part, Aglondier keeps an eye out for other spiders...

perception: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 2 = 18

The shieldman have readied their attacks and will strike if an opponent comes into range.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Oh, thought that was a surprise round. Oops.

Adriana: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

soldiers add +1: 12d20 ⇒ (2, 8, 5, 14, 15, 6, 13, 10, 12, 3, 5, 15) = 108
adepts add +1: 2d20 ⇒ (11, 19) = 30

The soldier that got a crit goes on 13.

51 to 100 of 1,077 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ruins of Empire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.