GM Arrannai - Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Arrannai

Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings
Part 4: Thistletop

Loot | Maps

Starting Day: Toilday, 23rd of Rova, 4707
Current Day: Fireday, 28th Rova 4707


1,951 to 2,000 of 2,239 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>

Experience 6,600/10,000 | Level 4 | #001: Burnt Offerings | Part 4: Thistletop | Day 7 (Fireday, 28 Rova 4707)

The cat sits next to Lyrie and begins to groom itself, seemingly unbothered by the events happening around it. Without some sort of magical healing, it will take quite some time for Tsuto to regain consciousness in his current state. Lyrie can be awakened at any time with a good amount of shaking, or she will likely awaken on her own in the next few minutes.

Perception DC 18:

Due to recent heavy foot traffic, a secret door in the room is fairly easy to find in the southwest corner of the room.


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Draxtherian Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Hollie turns to start looking around the rest of the complex when Draxtherian calls out ”Hollie. Over here.”

He was sniffing around a portion of the floor and wall before tearing up and pushing a section away, revealing a stairwell down!


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias yelps in concern when Tsuto is stabbed and nods hesitantly when he is healed. But when Hollie and Drax reveal a stairway down, he shakes his head. "Hollie, that's a bad idea. We said we'd do a little more, then come back. Not keep going forever. We have to prisoners now. If we don't take them back, they could escape at any moment and attack us in the back while we help. Plus, I cannot help with a single thing if we go down there."

I think Bereket's bull's strength will increase the escape DC by 2 since it's still active. But we've had a prodigious number of encounters already. This adventuring day started at the bridge, right? We've fought goblins, and dogs, and goblins and dogs again, and two fights against semi-boss named npcs. I think we have to rest.


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

”I’m not planning on sprinting down there with these two just laying here. But we should secure this level before we try to pick a spot to fortify for the night,” Hollie clarifies.


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Jess crinkles her nose as both her friends had good points then finally adds "So... here is what I think... we bar this door so no one can come up. We know it is clear above, so why don't we just rest here? Orik said there were some demon dogs, but unless they can open doors we should be fine. The only question will be the best way for us to secure our prisoners. Maybe we go lock the cat in the room where we killed the bugbear just so it is separate from its master? Once we strip them of any gear they have, with them already being tied up, we should be able to stick them in a opposite corners of the room and then get some rest, just make sure we keep a two person watch so each person can watch one of the captures to make sure they don't try and get free."

Jess looks to the others after the long winded explanation for thoughts.


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

”Exactly. But I do think we need to clear out the rest of this level first to make sure this is the only way up and down.”


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias nods wearily. "Ok we can check every thing. But we're not looking for more fights and will avoid starting one if we can at all, right?"


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie nods in affirmation. Once the prisoners and the feline are secure, she leads the way searching out the rest of this level for threats or stairs.


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Suppose we should maybe just always take a 'go one direction' path as we explore. My vote would be right, so first stop would be back down the hall and to the double doors to the west?


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Sure. If we ever finish off all threats maybe we can fast forward through empty rooms?


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

After a bit of internal debate, Shaedeen opts to be Queen of the Bow for the exploration of the rest of the level. To Hollie she says, "If we run into your sister, I'll shoot her once in the leg for all the trouble she's caused and then try to knock some sense into her with my sap."

Seeing that her words seem to have bothered Hollie, Shae quickly adds, "That's only if she doesn't surrender first, of course."


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie turns and glares at Shae. ”No harm is to come to her unless there is truly no other option!”


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

Shaedeen rolls her eyes and then snorts, "Fine!"


Experience 6,600/10,000 | Level 4 | #001: Burnt Offerings | Part 4: Thistletop | Day 7 (Fireday, 28 Rova 4707)

GM Rolls:

stealth: 1d20 + 9 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 5 = 24

perception (Bereket): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
perception (Drax): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
perception (Hollie): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
perception (Jess): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
perception (Matt): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
perception (Shae): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

The group makes their way about the floor cautiously, investigating what they feel they can without instigating conflict. It does not take long to find a group of prison cells to put the captives in. A key ring is found in a torture room adjacent to the prison that you can use for the cells. Binding Lyrie further from there to prevent her from casting spells is something that Matt can help instruct.

Two avenues appear to have enemies that could be encountered, one to the east and one to the west. The western one has the giant stone doors, and Matt is fairly certain he hears light movement behind them. There are multiple entrance points into that room, one from the giant doors and two from the prison. The eastern one sounds like a creature loudly eating down a tunnel.

To the south are a collection of bedrooms, seemingly one for each of Nualia's captains and one for the leader herself. Additionally, you are able to take what you like from Tsuto, Lyrie, and Orik:

Tsuto: potion of bear’s endurance, potion of cure light wounds (2), potion of cure moderate wounds, composite shortbow with 20 arrows, ring of protection +1, masterwork thieves’ tools, masterwork flute, silver earrings (25 gp for the pair), 6 pouches of gold dust worth 50 gp each, 8 pouches of silver dust worth 5 gp each, 20 pp

Lyrie: potion of cure light wounds, scroll of comprehend languages, scroll of minor image, scroll of see invisibility, scroll of sleep, scroll of whispering wind, wand of magic missile (38 charges), wand of scorching ray (7 charges), dagger, cloak of resistance +1, silver comb (25 gp), fine silk gown (60 gp) (she is wearing this), everburning torch, small pouch of artifacts (hair, fingernail clipping, used handkerchiefs, and a pearl earring worth 50 gp) stolen from Tsuto, 8 pp, 3 gp

Orik: potion of cure moderate wounds, masterwork full plate, masterwork heavy steel shield, composite longbow with 20 arrows, masterwork bastard sword, everburning torch, 1 pp, 5 gp


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie sighs and says ”Let us check this room near the prison first. Just in case whatever is behind there is able to go break them out...”

She then takes a position at the door, brandishing Orik’s shield. Once everyone is ready, she opens it...


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

Shaedeen peruses the treasure pile with interest. "Hmm...Ooh! Oh--I can use that, too!"

The young rogue quickly claims the masterwork thieves' tool but seems particularly enamored by the everburning torch. "I was planning on buying one of these and affixing it to the front of my darkwood shield...er, once I bought such a shield, that is."

With the magic torch in her buckler hand and her rapier in her right, Shae's ready to attack at Hollie's command.


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Jess hands the scrolls and wands over to Matthias "Oh! Bet you can use these!" She also passes out the potions between the group members for emergency use.


CMW - Hollie
CMW - Bereket
CLW - Shae
CLW - Matthias
CLW - Jess

Checking out the items they find that are magical she notes "Hollie, Shae or Bereket, one of you should use this cloak and this ring. Most everything else we can probably sell off later. Oh! That reminds me, once we are finished here we need to gather up all the gear from the various goblins, since we can probably sell that all off too."

Updated loot sheet.

When they go to the door Jess nods "I still have a few bombs left and now Matty has some wands, AND we have some extra potions. Might as well make sure this level is safe. Don't want any surprises while we get some rest. OH! We have to also remember to get the other horses, or at least check on them before we rest... we left them tied up outside the thistles."


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias' eyes are nearly drooping as his brain is completely exhausted but he snaps up. "What what? Ah... oh yes... I suppose I can use these to help a little more..." He keeps the wand of missiles in hand.

Scroll of comprehend, minor image, see invis, sleep, whispering wind, wand of magic missile, and wand of scorching ray? A nice little hall for my utility.


Experience 6,600/10,000 | Level 4 | #001: Burnt Offerings | Part 4: Thistletop | Day 7 (Fireday, 28 Rova 4707)

Thanks to Matthias's foreknowledge of creatures behind the massive stone doors, the party is not surprised when two creatures behind the doors immediately act hostile. Two strange, hairless dogs levitate in the room and snap to attention as the doors are opened.

Initiative:

Bereket: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Hollie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Jess: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Matt: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Shae: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Enemy1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Stone fonts containing frothy dark water sit to the north and south of the eastern entrance to the room, and twin banks of stone pillars run the length of the long chamber. At the western end, shallow stairs rise to a platform about two feet off the ground. The walls surrounding this platform are lit by hanging braziers that emit glowing red smoke, giving the place an unnerving crimson lighting that throws the bas-relief carvings of countless monsters feasting on fleeing humans into lurid display. A black marble altar stone, its surface heaped with ashes and bone fragments, squats before a ten-foot-tall statue. The sculpture depicts a very pregnant but otherwise shapely naked woman who wields a kukri in each taloned hand and has a long reptilian tail, birdlike taloned feet, and the snarling head of a three-eyed jackal with a forked tongue. The left kukri flickers with fiery orange light while the right one glows with a cold blue radiance.

GM Rolls:

Bereket will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Hollie will: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Drax will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Jess will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Matt will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Shae will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Bereket will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Hollie will: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Drax will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Jess will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Matt will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Shae will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Bereket Panic: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5
Jess Panic: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4
Shae Panic: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

The hounds fly to the shrine and turn to the group, howling in unison. Due in large part to Hollie's aura of courage, no one is frightened by the howls and the party stands their ground.

Chapel to Lamashtu—Round One

Initiative Order
Doggos
→Jess
→Matt
→Hollie
→Shae
→Bereket

Everyone is up!


hp 25/25 | Init +2, Per +6 (Darkvision 60’, Scent) | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1 (+4 vs Poison and Petrification, electricity resist 5) | Bite +5 (1d6+2]

Draxtherian rushes up and, once in range of his long neck and jaws, snaps at the first hound he can!

Draxtherian Charge Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 = 10


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie does the same, rushing you and thrusting her slender blade at the same one Drax snapped at.

Hollie Charge: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

The unnatural howling of the so-called devil dogs threatens to send Shaedeen shrieking from the chamber, but at the last second something steels her resolve: She can't abandon her friends, especially not Hollie. With a growl, the young rogue moves forward, stabbing at one of the monsters.

Shaedeen rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 for piercing damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 (18-20)


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias looks at the hounds, trying to identify them. Something this unholy and magical may well be immune to many of his spells.

Hoping to ID them. Especially interested in knowing if they are immune to mind-affecting and/or have spell resistance. Other nasty abilities would be nice to know too.

K arc?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
K dun?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
K nat?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
K pla?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
K rel?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Haha. Apparently Matthias is feeling extremely knowledgeable right now. Hopefully one of those is applicable.


Male Human (Varisian) Warpriest 4 | hp 39/39 | AC 23, t 12, ff 22 | Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +7 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | scimitar +8 (1d6+3 slashing/18-20) | Blessings 5/5 | Fervor 5/5

Bereket moves a ways into the room after the others. Then he points behind the two dogs, and there is a flash of brilliant light that envelops the statue, the altar, and the dogs.

Caster level check to beat spell resistance, if required: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Duration: 1d4 ⇒ 1
If the dogs fail the DC 15 Reflex save they are blinded for 1 round. If they pass they are dazzled for 1 round.
Damage: 4d4 ⇒ (3, 1, 1, 4) = 9
If they are evil creatures, they take that damage whether they saved or not. Non-evil creatures take no damage.

Scimitar is still sheathed at this point.


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Jess moves in with the others, but still staying closer to the back. She pulls out one of her few remaining bombs, twists the top and shakes it up before tossing at the one beast that the others are focusing on, being careful to throw it at an angle where it explodes away from the group.

RT, PBS: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 1 = 28
Splash DC16: 7 = 7
Damage, PBS: 3d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1, 4, 3) + 4 + 1 = 13
Misdirection: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Status:

HP: 24/27
AC: 16
Bombs: [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Extracts 1st: CLW (1d8+4) [X] [X] [X], Heightened Awareness [X]
Extracts 2nd: CMW (2d8+4) [X] [X]


Experience 6,600/10,000 | Level 4 | #001: Burnt Offerings | Part 4: Thistletop | Day 7 (Fireday, 28 Rova 4707)

GM Rolls:

Hound reflex v. blinded: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Hound reflex v. blinded: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Hound reflex v. bomb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Hollie, Drax and Shae all charge in to attack the hounds. The only successful one is Hollie, who lands a grazing blow on one of the hounds. Bereket's spell blinds the one who was not struck and damages both with holy light. Jess's bomb explodes on the hound that Hollie struck, putting it into a rather critical state and harming the other hound with the splash.

Matthias is rather certain that these creatures are yeth hounds—evil outsiders that thrive on spreading fear in their victims before devouring them. Their howl can only effect a target once before being ineffective, so repeated attempts from the beasts are not to be worried about. Good creatures who are bitten by them are fear-stricken.

Matt is up!


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias shouts a warning "Be careful not to panic if they bite you" for all the good that will do. He moves into the room but stays well away from the dogs and fires a missile at the most wounded one.

Magic missile force dam: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Oddly, the map is 100% black for me. Please move me appropriately. I'm assuming the magic missile wand we just found is CL 1?


CotCT | HR | MM | RoA | RotRL1 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Matthais's missle slam into the already severly injured hound. It appears it is on its last legs but doesn't try to run. Instead both dogs attack the enemies in front of them, one on Hollie and the other on Shae.

Attacks:
Attack-Hollie: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 1) + 4 = 9
Attack-Shae: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5) + 4 = 11

Shae-Will: 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 4 = 14

Trip-Hollie: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Trip-Shae: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Both dogs bite into their targets, though Shae takes the worst of it. She also feels some unnatural fear start to grip her when she is bitten but she shakes off the feeling with Hollie their bolstering her will.

Round 2
Enemy, > Jess/Matt/Hollie/Shae/Bereket


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie thrusts her rapier at the hound before using it to cover her step back...clearing a path for Draxtherian.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

Shaedeen yelps in pain and is about to run from the room when the sight of Hollie bravely standing her ground calms her panicked mind. Feeling a bit ashamed, the teen grits her teeth and stabs at her foe's heart before stepping aside to give Bereket or one of her other friends access to the beast.

Shaedeen rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 for piercing damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 (18-20)


hp 25/25 | Init +2, Per +6 (Darkvision 60’, Scent) | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1 (+4 vs Poison and Petrification, electricity resist 5) | Bite +5 (1d6+2]

Drax takes advantage of the opening and lunges forward, snapping and clawing at the fiendish dog.

Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Claw: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Claw: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Human (Varisian) Warpriest 4 | hp 39/39 | AC 23, t 12, ff 22 | Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +7 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | scimitar +8 (1d6+3 slashing/18-20) | Blessings 5/5 | Fervor 5/5

10 feet is enough for a charge! =)

Shae steps back, and then Bereket comes careening into the space she had occupied, his scimitar chopping down hard at the hound.
Going for the one directly in front of me, although if that one happens to be killed already then I can also reach the other.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 = 27 I don't still have buffs going on me from anyone, do I? It's been a while, OOC!
Slashing Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Spending my swift action on Improved Weapon of the Chosen so that damage counts as magic and good.
Confirm?: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19
Additional Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

My AC is down to 14 for the round due to the penalty from charging.


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Sorry Dak. I'm sure this is inconvenient. But can you confirm if the wand of magic missile is CL 1?

Matthias stays in the back keeping an eye out for new trouble and sends another zap of force at the dogs.

Dam: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Move action perception to look out for an ambush behind just bc I have nothing else to do with my move: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Yup CL1 wand, but save that charge

Shae and Hollie both miss but move out of the way for others to step in and attack. Drask finishes off the one hand and then lands a solid blow into the other. Bereket rushes forward and cuts down the other beast before Jess or Matthias have an opportunity to act.

The creepy temple goes silent once again as the fight ends.

Out of combat


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie relaxes a moment before looking over the gross looking surroundings that look to be a foul temple of some sort. ”Lets...lets go check on the other creature, see if it is a threat. Then rest and go...arrest my sister.”

She pops the cork from the top of the vial of the potion they had found, and kneels down to Drax and says ”Here ya go...drink this...”

At first he begins to protest, but seeing the insistence in Hollie’s eyes he sighs and gulps it down.

CMW: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 1) + 3 = 12

Hollie then readies her crossbow and turns to the others to check if they are ready to follow.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

I did a quick (read: "half-arsed & lazy") check upthread and don't know what "other creature" Hollie's talking about...but Shae will follow anyhow.

@Bereket: Jessa suggested that we take the ring of protection +1 and cloak of resistance +1 from the treasure pile. Since Shae's already nabbed a couple lesser treasures (mwk thieves' tools, one of the everburning torches), I'll give you first choice of the ring or cloak.

Shaedeen seems to gather her courage again, now that the frightful hounds have been put down. After giving nods of admiration to Bereket and Drax for laying low the yeth hounds, Shae softly asks Hollie, "We're not going to let Matty and Jes rest up a bit before we go after Nualia? Remember: We might also have to deal with a 'goblin god' or whatever, if your sister's managed to free it from whatever prison held it."


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Orik told the group about some creature in the natural cave part to the east. Didn't really get any more details though before he got killed.


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias looks around nervously. "Ok. If we need to deal with anything else on this level, let's do it. But we have to rest before we go down there."


CotCT | HR | MM | RoA | RotRL1 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The group heads off toward the east where Orik noted there was one more threat on this level. The floor of this cavern seems strangely polished and smooth. To the east, a thick curtain of vines and nettles hangs down over a wide opening overlooking the Varisian Gulf.

GM:

Bereket: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Drask: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Hollie: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Near the front, as they are open to go in the room, Drask, Hollie and Bereket notice something clinging to the ceiling near the vines and nettles. This dark blue creature has a conical body covered in angry red eyes and numerous tentacles, two of which are longer than the rest.

Know. Dungeon DC14:
You recognize this creature as a tentamort. It is great at grabbing onto things and strangling them while also using its stinger on one of the longer tentacles to poison their prey. You know they are ambush predators and don't often go on the hunt for prey.


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

K dung once I see it: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Once I see it, I'll share this information. I'm thinking perhaps only the listed folk see it so far.


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie raises a hand when she sees the thing and points it out to the others.

Assuming Matthias relays the above as he said...

”You guys think we should just leave it be for now? Sounds like so long as we leave it be and keep a careful watch, we should be okay. We could go ahead and camp near the stair and keep watch for both that thing and Nualia or anymore of her minions, and continue on further down in the morning?” she whispers as she squats down beside Bereket and Draxtherian.


Male Human (Varisian) Warpriest 4 | hp 39/39 | AC 23, t 12, ff 22 | Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +7 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | scimitar +8 (1d6+3 slashing/18-20) | Blessings 5/5 | Fervor 5/5

"It sounds like a dangerous creature, but it doesn't seem like a threat to anyone, being way out here in the goblin fort. Without some reason to enter this area, let's we avoid it if we can," Bereket whispers back.


CotCT | HR | MM | RoA | RotRL1 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With the group deciding the leave the creature be, Hollie closes the door and everyone back out down the hall. Heading into the large room just outside where the stairs lead down, the group cleans up the bodies and settles in to rest a bit.

GM:
1d100 ⇒ 55

The group sleeps straight through without any interruptions and wakes up refreshed after several hours.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Unchained Rogue (Burglar) 3/Fighter 1 | hp -15- 32/32 | AC 21, t 15, ff 16 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +5; evasion, +1 Ref vs. traps | Init +8 | Perc +8 (+9 to avoid being surprised, locate traps); trap spotter | rapier +7 (1d6+4 piercing/18-20)

Shaedeen performs some simple stretching exercises, nibbles some rations, and declares herself ready to bring Nualia to justice. After some internal self-discussion, the Queen of the Bow persona wins out, and the teen nocks an arrow in the string of her trusty ranged weapon.

"Just in case there are any surprises waiting for us down there," she assures Hollie. "I'll switch to my sap when it comes time to take your sister alive."


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Jess spends some time mixing up reagents for some new bombs in the morning and preparing a couple of her extracts. As she is mixing things she has an idea and turns to Matthias but then frowns remember she already asked him this as she sadly notes "Matty you need to learn how to make people look like other people. I can do it for myself, but it wouldn't really help in this situation. I was thinking we could try and use magic to make someone look like Tsuto to trick her but oh well..."

She returns to her work getting ready.


“Mithral Champion” Paladin 4 | hp 36/36| Init +3, Per +7 (Darkvision 60’) | AC 20, T 13, FF 17 | Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +9(acid/cold/electricity resist 5)| Rapier +7 (1d6/18-20)

Hollie is by far and above the first one awake, her foot and leg bouncing up and down as she sat waiting as patiently as she could for the others to awaken. As they finally did start waking up and getting prepared, she and Draxtherian were standing by the door to the stairs down.

Once everyone was ready, she said ”Okay, I’ll take the lead. Remember...we take Nualia alive. No violence if we can avoid it...let me try to talk to her! But...Bereket...just to be safe...you care to put our to prisoners back to sleep please? We don’t need to worry about them on our flank if they were to escape...” she asks, hoping the battle hardened priest is fine with knocking them out once again.

Finally, when the others are all prepared...she leads the way downstairs...

Last night healing before abilities/spells were reset...

Lay on Hands, Shaedeen: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6
Lay on Hands, Hollie: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 2) = 7


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Matthias nods thoughtfully at Jess' suggestion. "Good idea. I'll see what I can do." In the meantime, he scribbles a little then walks over to Bereket, Shae, and Drax. "Is it ok if I cast some spells on you? I think I'll make Shae small and very dodgy and Bereket large and very strong. I'll make Drax very strong too."

I'm proposing a reduce person on Shae and spending a point to make the dex bonus 2 more than normal. Then I'll cast cat's grace on Shae and make the dex bonus 2 more than normal by spending another point. So Shae has a reduced weapon damage die but +10 to dex, +1 size bonus to ac, and +1 size bonus to hit. 2 points spent.

Spend a point to swap cat's grace to bull's strength. Cast bull's strength on Bereket and spend a point to make it +6 str. Cast enlarge person on Bereket and spend a point to make it 2 more str than normal. So Bereket gets reach, increased damage die, +10 str, but -2 dex, -1 size penalty to ac, and -1 size penalty to hit. Sound good, Bereket?

Then I consume a first level slot to get one more point and use it to cast bull's strength on Drax for +6 to str for him. All 2nd level slots used, 3 1st level slots used, all 5 arcane reservoir points used.


Male Human (Varisian) Warpriest 4 | hp 39/39 | AC 23, t 12, ff 22 | Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +7 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | scimitar +8 (1d6+3 slashing/18-20) | Blessings 5/5 | Fervor 5/5

Bereket nods at Hollie's reminder about Lyrie and Tsuto. "Yes, I'll make sure they aren't going to cause any harm."

Can use my scimitar to deal nonlethal with no penalty to attack, so this should be hand-wavable.

One concern before we make Bereket large--when we did that against the druid, we had a problem with tight spaces and no room for us to maneuver when Bereket was large. Are we going to have that same problem here, or do we think we'll be in a big enough room? If it's questionable, I think just the boosted bull's strength is still strong, and you could have an extra 1st level spell slot for something else.


M Arcanist 4 | hp 30/30 | Init +9, Per +10 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5 | Daze: DC 15 will save or be dazed | Spells left: 1st 5/6 2nd 3/3 | Reservoir points left: 5/7

Yeah that's my main concern too. We know we're inside this time so it's even more likely to be tight than it was when we were outside.


Female Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier) 4 | HP 27/27 | Init +5, Perc +9 (Low-Light Vision) | AC 16 T 14 FF 13 | F +5 R +7 W +1 |

Are you casting before you go downstairs or waiting until you see signs of a potential fight?

1,951 to 2,000 of 2,239 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Goblin Mayhem's Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.