DM Carbide's Rise of the Runelords

Game Master John Woodford

COMBAT MAP

SANDPOINT MAP

SANDPOINT AND ENVIRONS


701 to 750 of 796 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC 15:
The stonework here appears to be at least several centuries old, and the way you accessed the underground complex suggests that unless there are other access routes it had been sealed off until recently.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Don't look at me. I'm feytouched. None of that dwarven stone affinity here.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Kn:History: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 8 + (2) = 30 Oh, yeah? Where are those when I actually need them?
Kn:Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 8 + (6) = 34 Now I know the dicebot is messing with me.

Nia nods. "These things are very old. Old fashioned, too. Sandpoint as a Magnimaran town is only about 40 years old, and there were Varisians here already. There's a good chance nobody who lives here now knows about this place."

She takes a closer look at the stone around the doorways, tracing her fingers over the old stone at the joints and rubbing her fingers together under her nose to smell the dust. "The stonework here appears to be at least several centuries old, and the we came in from the beach suggests that unless there are other access routes this place has been sealed off until recently."

The young investigator moves to each door and listens closely for noise on the other side.

Perception east door: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Perception south door: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 ...that's more like it.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick nods, "So these tunnels might be ancient like the lighthouse, then? Makes me feel a bit better. Only a bit, mind."


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia nods. "That sounds right. The lighthouse and these tunnels could have been built around the same time. I've heard creepy stories about the lighthouse. Maybe these monsters are haunting it, too."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Search now, speculate later."
While gruff, Vidar's tone lacks any real bite, something that he himself would find surprising if he stopped to think about it.


Ilryan North | Male CG Human Oracle 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 13| F +2 R +2 W +3; | Init +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20ft | Healer’s Way 5/5; Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active Conditions: none.

"Whatever its origin, its certainly a danger to the town, now that it's been unsealed."


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

I mean... Nia's the only one making Perception checks here. :P

Nia nods at Ilryan. "If any of these monsters wandered out of here and into town, it would hurt some people before someone was able to take it down."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Yes, and guided by a malevolent hand, one that may well be watching us already.
Magic is impressive after all..."


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia hears nothing at either door.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Hearing nothing at either door, Nia points to the door she was next to- the southern one, examines the door for traps, then tries to quietly open it.

Perception, check for traps: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Stealth, trying to open the door quietly: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

The door does not appear to be trapped. However, the hinges do not seem to have been oiled in some time...at least, that's what you conclude from the shriek of metal on metal as the door opens.

Nothing moves inside the revealed chamber. The crumbling remains of several chairs and a long table clutter the floor. On the south wall are three stone doors, each bearing a seven-pointed star symbol. All of you recognize the symbol as the same one that decorated the book held by the statue near the entrance.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Where to?


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Hmmmph, that symbol does appear to be of some significance.
Do we examine these doors, or continue on through the one we did not open before?"


Ilryan North | Male CG Human Oracle 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 13| F +2 R +2 W +3; | Init +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20ft | Healer’s Way 5/5; Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active Conditions: none.

"Let us examine these."

Ilryan waits for the doors to be checked for traps, but suggests opening the left-most door first.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia finds nothing suspicious on the doors. They open to reveal a set of three identical small cells, each containing a single skeleton. Disturbingly, each one shows some sort of shocking deformity: one has three arms with too-slender bones, another has an enormous misshapen skull, and the third has a rib cage that extends below its pelvis--a pelvis with stunted leg bones strewn below its strangely flat girth.

The detritus in the larger room, now that you're walking around in it, includes fragments of ancient parchment and books.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick sighs, "Looks like the useful stuff's either been destroyed deliberately or fallen apart. Guess we move on."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Take note of this, the creature that we fought was fairly twisted as well...
This is meaningful, although I am not yet sure in what way."


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

By detritus, do you mean that none of the fragments are readable? I'll roll to investigate, just in case.

Perception to investigate the fragments of books and parchments: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Nia nods at Garrick as she kneels and tries to read some of the writing. "Between this, the statue, and the state of the bodies it's clear this place has been here for a long, long time. No one in town can have built this place. Found it, maybe, but not built it."


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick nods, "I want to be happy about that, but part of me can't shake the idea that means this might be an Ancient Evil."


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia nods. "It definitely looks that way."


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia can tell that the writing is in the Thassilonian language, but the damage makes it impossible to resolve any details of the subject matter.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick grumbles, "If this all turns out to be a bunch of local kids messing with Powers-Beyond-Their-Ken, I'm going to slap their parents."

He then shrugs, "I guess we press on and see what else we can learn?"


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

*DM looks at ceiling, whistles innocently*


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Hmmph, sooner or later, the public WILL want access to this place. We had better make sure it is safe before that, else some children are sure to find their way down here.
NEVER underestimate a child's ability to get to places where they are not meant to go."


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia laughs and shakes her head. "Well, they're not getting in those cells. It'll give the kids something to dare each other to do, trying to reach in there and touch the three-armed skeleton." She nods at Garrick. "I don't see anything useful here. Let me check the door."

She'll check the door for traps then open it.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Which door?


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

I thought we already checked the cells, so it would be the one to th east.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

I also thought there was only the one door we hadn't already checked. The door leading east, if there is more than one.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia hears nothing at the door, and does not find any traps. Opening the door reveals a flight of stairs going down.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia gestures down the stairs, points to herself and puts a finger to her lips, then tries to sneak down to scout out whatever might be down there.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 +2 in the dark
Perception check while scouting: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 +2 in the dark


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia steps silently down the stairs, into the darkness.

Nia:
The temperature drops noticeably as you near the bottom of the stairs. The room has a vaulted ceiling a full twenty feet high. The floor contains eleven wooden grids positioned in an array. A strange creature stalks around the grids, not stepping on any of them. It looks vaguely goblinoid, but it is the size of a full-grown human and has three arms. It does not seem to have noticed you yet.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia freezes, taking in the scene and wracking her brain to come up with any helpful information.

Spoiler:

Kn:Local to recognize the goblinoid?: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (12) + 9 + (3) = 24
Kn check to ID the grids, not sure what that would be: 1d20 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + (4) = 9 Arcana/Dungeoneering are both +8, if they apply?

She then slips back up the stairs.

Stealth to retreat, probably next round if we're in rounds: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 +2 in the dark


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Nia:
The grids look like they're actually lids on pits in the floor. The creature looks like some unknown force mutated a goblin, the same way that the skeletons you saw earlier were transformed.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

OK, thanks DM.

Nia slips back up the stairs to report. "There's a mutant goblin down there, ugly thing that looks like it could be related to those skeletons in the cells back there. It's walking around these pits on the floor- there are grates over the pits but it's making sure not to walk on the grates." She nods at the stairs. "We can probably take it pretty quickly, just be careful on that floor."


Ilryan North | Male CG Human Oracle 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 13| F +2 R +2 W +3; | Init +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20ft | Healer’s Way 5/5; Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active Conditions: none.

"Right, let's roll."


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Any spellcasting or other preparation you want to do before you attack?


Ilryan North | Male CG Human Oracle 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 13| F +2 R +2 W +3; | Init +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20ft | Healer’s Way 5/5; Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active Conditions: none.

Ilryan will cast bless


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

"Hmmph, if we have the chance to prepare, why not use it indeed?"

Muttering a few arcane phrases, Vidar touches Garric's weapon and make it shine with a dull blue glow.

Magic weapon


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia smiles at Vidar. "I'm more of an improviser, myself."

She doesn't really have anything to prep but she's happy to wait.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick smiles, "Can't say I mind the help."

He then takes a moment and feels the power of the stone and listens to its whispers, repeating them softly the way that his... special friends... taught him when he was a boy...

Guidance, SLA on himself.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

The party heads down the stairs, ready to deal with the strange and deformed goblin. Because some of you need light, you don't think you'll be able to take the creature unawares.

Round 1:

Vidar
Garrick
Ilryan
Apollonia
Goblin

Party up!

Dice rolls:
Apollonia Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Garrick Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Ilryan Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Vidar Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Goblin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Goblinoid: AC ? T ? FF ? HP: -0


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Dice rolls:
1d8 + 1d5 ⇒ (5) + (4) = 9

Map is updated.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick heads down the stairs, repeating the sounds that he hears whispered in the stone, feeling and channeling its power until his hand bursts into flame. As he reaches the bottom of the stairs, he closes his hand, squeezing it into a burning ember that he hurls at the goblin.

SLA: Produce Flame, throwing it.

Produce Flame (v touch AC): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Round 1 (ongoing):

Vidar
Garrick-acted
Ilryan
Apollonia
Goblin

Garrick's flame strikes the goblin, sizzling into its flesh.

Goblinoid: AC ? T 12 FF ? HP: -6


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Vidar stays back, so far things had been going well, and he wanted to marshal his remaining magic a while longer.
holding


Ilryan North | Male CG Human Oracle 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 17, T 11, FF 16 | CMD 13| F +2 R +2 W +3; | Init +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20ft | Healer’s Way 5/5; Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active Conditions: none.

Ilryan moves in behind Garrick, positioned to attack the creature or heal his companions.

Double move.


Female Human Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1/Investigator (Empiricist) 1 [HP: 15/18 | AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB:+1 | CMD:13 | Fort:+2 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+5/+7 in the dark (Darkvision)| Spd 30]

Nia draws her rapier, waiting to pounce on the goblin when it went for her new companions.

Holding until after the goblin moves. Plan is to run down the stairs when it engages Garrick.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

The goblin moves closer to the center of the room. It looks like it's working its jaws as if to spit, and then it does--it disgorges a stream of foul-smelling liquid that drenches the dwarf. Take 5 HP acid damage, Garrick. with a DC 13 Reflex save for half damage. If you take any damage, also make a DC 13 Fort save to avoid being nauseated for the next round.

Garrick & Ilryan Perception DC 16:
The burn damage seems to be fading.

Round 2:

Vidar
Garrick
Ilryan
Apollonia
Goblin

Everyone can act!

Dice rolls:
Acid damage: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 1) = 5
Recharge: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Goblinoid: AC ? T 12 FF ? HP: -5


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Spitting acid? That's not nice!

701 to 750 of 796 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Georgette's RotR Game All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.