RelicBlackOUTs Old School Modules

Game Master RelicBlackOUT

Modules:
Scourge of the Howling Horde
Barrow of the Forgotten King
The Sinister Spire
XP: 7,991/10,000

Loot

Marching Order:
Single file:
1-Del
2-Dalron (unless he's scouting ahead, of course)
3-Scarlet (unless he's scouting ahead, of course)
4-Bozvrig
5-Truffels
6-Barnabus
7-Lanliss

Double file:
1/2
3/5
4/6
7

Maps:
Scourge of the Howling Horde:
Mine Map

Barrow of the Forgotten King
Barrow of the Forgotten King Map

The Sinister Spire


2,051 to 2,100 of 3,470 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>

Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Lanliss follows Brunner's lead and takes his own armor off.

"Well, even if we don't explore all of this complex, I'm glad that the necromancer is gone."


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

"Not so funny if we hit a large melons princess that needs rescuing." he smiles at his own joke.


Is that what you really want to do?

Barnabus cast light on one of Dalron’s arrows who then fires it down below. The arrow soars down below lighting up the landing 50 feet below. It reveals an oval landing aroughly fifteen ft wide by twenty ft long. You see another piton with rope attached to it on the far edge leading down. Just as quickly as it was all lit up, the light goes out with a flash as the arrow hits the landing and breaks into shards canceling the spell.

You hear the sound of what could only be describe as a slimy tissue slithering and squirming coming from the east of the platform. This would be to the right of where the arrow was shot

Perception DC 22:
Just before the arrow breaks, off to the east you see a horrific scene as you see two floating eyeballs hovering in the air connected by a several foot strand of muscle. The eyes drifting and intertwining causing the sound. Its one eye locks on a member of the party drifts sideways and almost blinks, but it has no eyelid. The arrow snaps, darkness. You can no longer see this creature.

The creature

@Brunner I need a will save please.

DMs eyes only:

S: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
1 Barnabus, 2 Brunner, 3 Dalron, 4 Lanliss, 5 Scarlet
Random: 1d5 ⇒ 2


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Lanliss gasps as the arrow breaks.

"Did you see that? There was some sort of eyeball monstrosity down there! Two giant eyes connected by... guts. I know that it saw us!"

Lanliss nocks his own arrow and backs up.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Barbarian / 1HP 14 /14 Temp HP 2 / 2 AC 18 ( Touch 12 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +2 / CMB +4 | CMD 16 / Init +2/ Perception +5| Rage Rounds 12 / 12

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"I saw it too and that was no princess. Barnabus light me up again and lets see if I can get closer."

Once the light spell is cast, Dalron fires another arrow about where he saw the creature.
Arrow attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
If it hits damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Arrow Attack crit conf.: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Hopefully the arrow stays lit.

"I think that is close enough."


Is that what you really want to do?

Effectively we are going to be going into a surprise round after everyone rolls a perception check and @Brunner makes a will save. @Dalron keep your attack roll going into combat.

Those who saw the creature by making the perception check will act in the surprise round


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"What was that? I thought I almost saw something...."


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

Perception DC22: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

"I thought I saw something too."

So close for both Barbabus and me.


perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
how far did Brunner did in taking off his armor?


Is that what you really want to do?

In the midst of the confusion Dalron and Lanliss spot this weird looking creature before the light vanishes once again. Lanliss and Brunner were mid-stride of taking off their armor for the climb ahead when Brunner all of a sudden begins to feel sleepy. Almost coming to he gives himself a shake and firms his footing before possibly sliding off of the edge of the platform.

One thing I would like to know who is in the middle of this 3x3 platform moving forward.

Because all of this was happening at the same time when Brunner and Lanliss were taking off their armor lets say that they had only gotten it half off. So you have only half the AC bonus from your armors. -4 AC to Brunner -2 AC to Lanliss

DM stuff:

Barnabus: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Brunner: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Dalron: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Lanliss: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Scarlet: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
X: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Initiative
Surprise
X
Dalron
Lanliss

Round 1
X
Dalron
Barnabus
Lanliss
Scarlet
Brunner

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Barbarian / 1HP 14 /14 Temp HP 2 / 2 AC 18 ( Touch 12 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +2 / CMB +4 | CMD 16 / Init +2/ Perception +5| Rage Rounds 12 / 12

Does my attack go off now?


Is that what you really want to do?

It can, but it is dark and you can no longer see it. There would be a % chance it misses.


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

Delay until I can cast a light spell on someone's arrow or something someone can throw.


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

"Maybe toss a stone down there with the light spell on. It might be able to last longer for us to shoot whatever is down there."

Carefully goes and picks up some of the debris of the platform and comes back to hand part of the floor to whoever cast the light spell.


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Lanliss casts protection from evil on Brunner to hopefully compensate for his reduced armor.

Brunner gains gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against attacks from evil creatures. He is immune to any attempts to possess or exercise mental control (including enchantment [charm] effects and enchantment [compulsion] effects).


Is that what you really want to do?

Lanliss walks up and slaps Brunner with a spell, though not as fully protected as he is with his full armor on, he is feeling well defended.

@Dalron you’re up! You can hold your attack until you can see the creature, keeping the same roll, or you can fire it off in the direction you saw it. If you do the second give me a d100 roll.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Barbarian / 1HP 14 /14 Temp HP 2 / 2 AC 18 ( Touch 12 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +2 / CMB +4 | CMD 16 / Init +2/ Perception +5| Rage Rounds 12 / 12

I will hold until I see it


Is that what you really want to do?

The party is in a standstill as they await the creature to come into view.

Brunner & Barnabus:
You two do not see anything within your 50 ft of darkvision

DM Stuff:

LS Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Initiative
Round 1
X
Dalron
Barnabus
Lanliss
Scarlet
Brunner

Everyone is good to go


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

If nothing is happening and they can't hear anything coming at them, Lanliss asks Barnabus to cast another light spell on his arrow. Lanliss will fire the arrow where he last saw the abomination.

I'm assuming that this thing has total concealment?

1 = miss; 2 = on target: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

*shakes head at this campaign's attack rolls*


Nodding thankfully to Lanliss, Brunner arms his shield as he nudges the armor away from the edge. "Whaur is th' blasted hin'? Ah will try an' see if it's evil."

move action arming shield. readied action? detect evil when he sees the thing?


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

Barnabus casts light on a small stone and then tosses it towards the far platform.

thrown rock: 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 1 - 4 = 13 (2 20' range increments)


Is that what you really want to do?

Barnabus tosses the Light rock in the direction of the platform as it is falling the light passes by where the creature is. Dalron’s shot goes off and strikes the creature. Brunner detects evil and the creature is indeed evil.

@Scarlet you’re up!


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

Scarlet will move up to the edge to look down at the creature since a light source is available now and ready his short bow.


Is that what you really want to do?

The creature comes forward into view of he light and all are able to see the floating eyes approaching. It isn’t within melee range.

Both of its eyes focus in on two of the people who threatened it. Both eyes focus in on their targets and they seem to blink with lidless eyes and an energy moves from them and hit Barnabus and Dalron. Barnabus seances a wave of fear beginning to rise up within him as the creature appears but is able to shake it off.

Dalron on the other hand is taken by the energy and falls asleep. His body slumps down onto the ground, but with the unstable edge begins to take a fall off of the pillar and into the abyss below.

The party quickly moves into action to try and catch Dalron before he would meet his untimely demise.

I need a reflex save and a CMB check from one person, and I will allow 2 more that are around him to aid in those checks. First one to post will be the primary.

DM Stuff:

Ray v Barnabus: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Ray v Dalron: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Barnabus WIll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Dalron Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

1-3 fall off ledge 4-10 fall on ground
random fall: 1d10 ⇒ 3


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Is this our actions for the round? Or the CMB at least? Because if so, I'd much rather grant someone a hit from Bit of Luck, since that applies to all d20s for one round.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Barbarian / 1HP 14 /14 Temp HP 2 / 2 AC 18 ( Touch 12 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +2 / CMB +4 | CMD 16 / Init +2/ Perception +5| Rage Rounds 12 / 12

What an ugly looking spud, I feel sleepyyyyy zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....


Seeing his Friend begin to fall, Brunner drops his hammer and tries to catch him. "Th' evil beest pit heem tae sleep."

cmb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Is that what you really want to do?

Sorry I’m on my phone but these I am giving as free action reactions. Bruner give me a reflex save. You are the primary.


reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

Scarlet tries to aid Brunner in saving Dalron but is unable to grab on to him.

CMB (Aid Other): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Is that what you really want to do?

Sorry I was out and checked in on things and it is hard to do all the coding stuff on the phone.

@Scarlet is our first aid. Please give me a reflex also with this.

@Lanliss if you would like to be the second aid I will allow you to to use two of your Bit of Luck abilities since I am having everyone do two different checks.

This would leave @Barnabus being the furthest away from all of this and not able to reach Dalron.


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
CMB: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

Reflex: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Ouch


Is that what you really want to do?

Brunner springs into action after seeing Dalron fall to his knees and begin to slip off the edge of the landing into the darkness of the abyss below. He springs forward to try and grab him by the back of his armor but just misses, he does however manage to catch him by his britches.

Body hanging over the edge as dead weight, his quiver spills over the edge and he also drops his bow. Brunner with the aid of Lanliss and Scarlet are able to drag him ontop of the platform.

The party is able to see the creature floating roughly 30 feet away

Initiative
Round 2
X
Dalron asleep
Barnabus
Lanliss
Scarlet
Brunner

You’re all up.


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

Lanliss casts true strike on himself and steps forward a few feet from the edge of the platform.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Barbarian / 1HP 14 /14 Temp HP 2 / 2 AC 18 ( Touch 12 Flat 16) / Fort +4 | Ref +2 | Will +2 / CMB +4 | CMD 16 / Init +2/ Perception +5| Rage Rounds 12 / 12

"ZZZZZzzzzzzzz"


Male CG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 25/26 | AC: 17 (13T, 14F) *+1 vs Traps | CMB +5 CMD 18/15F | Fort +2 Ref +7* Will +3 (Evasion, +1 vs Traps)| Initiative: +2 | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30' | Disrupt Undead 3/3 | Shield (2/2) | Active Conditions: -1 Wis

Looking down at the sleeping Darlon, he mutters, "That was too close." He moves to the edge of the platform and aims at the floating thing and lets loose an arrow at it.

Short Bow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Scowling, Brunner picks up his hammer and shakes it at the creature. "'main 'en ower hear an' lit me introduce ye tae mah hammer."

move action, pick up hammer, readied attack: if the thing comes near, he will cast smite evil and swing at it.
attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 1 = 25 for damage: 1d10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 2 = 7


Is that what you really want to do?

@Brunner I wish you would have thrown that hammer ;-)

@Barnabus you’re up!


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

Barnabus points his index finger at the floaty thing, pronounces an arcane word that sounds like "Coolio", and invokes a Ray of Frost that streaks past the creature.

Ray of Frost: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 (Touch)

damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Is that what you really want to do?

Each of the eyes focus in on its two new targets, those who have threatened it. This time Barnabus begins to feel sleepy but shakes it off, Scarlet acts as if nothing happens.

DM Stuff:

LS v Barnabus: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
LS v Scarlet: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Barnabus Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Scarlet Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Initiative
Round 3
X
Dalron asleep
Barnabus
Lanliss
Scarlet
Brunner

You are all up


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

"Barnabus, please wake up Dalron!" Lanliss says as he lets loose his divinely-guided arrow.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 20 = 33
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

"If this... 'thing' puts us all to sleep, we're done for. We need to keep each other awake!"


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

Barnabus squints and refocuses his magic into a tight beam of cold into the center of the left-most eye.

"Coolio!" he exclaims.

ray of frost: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 (touch)

confirm of frost: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 (touch)

damage: 2d3 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7

"Brunner .... poke Dalron with that hammer of yours to get him awake."


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

A whisky drinking dwarf walking around saying "Coolio!" while doing the finger guns at people is an image that's going to stick around for a while.


Is that what you really want to do?

Lanliss’s arrow flies and strikes true, but it stays afloat. Barnabus, with the exclamation; “Coolie!” shoots a Ray of Frost that hits the floating eyes and causes them to freeze over. They fall from the air with a splash below.

Dalron wakes up after a few moments if no one else wakes him. Feeling a little groggy, but quickly gets back to normal. Looking around, Dalron does not see his bow, and come to think of it his quiver feels significantly lighter.

We are out of combat. And from now on for some reason Barnabus has an ancient Dwarven tune of “Dwarven Paradice” stuck in his head. Not knowing people age I hope this doesn’t fall flat.. lol


Elf Cleric of Desna 4 ~ AC 19 (t 13, ff 16) | F +3, R +4, W +6 (+2 vs. enchants) | Init +3 | Percep: 7 |BoL: 3/5 | channel: 1/4 | HP: 24/24

If that's a "Gangsta's Paradise" reference than I heartily approve. Otherwise I don't get the reference, probably because I'm too young. Yeah, that's it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Is that what you really want to do?
Lanliss Endarro wrote:
If that's a "Gangsta's Paradise" reference than I heartily approve. Otherwise I don't get the reference, probably because I'm too young. Yeah, that's it.

+1 to Lanliss’s next roll. You are correct.


well, a liitle after my time, googled it, at least I remember 'dangerous minds.' And the only way your getting Brunner to throw the hammer is if you promise it's coming back to his hand...

Seeing the evil creature drop, Brunner nods his head in approval. Continuing to remove his armor he gestures down the rope. "Main an aw gie doon thes wall, nae daein' onie guid standin' haur."


Dwarf Evoker 4 | HP:35/35 | AC:16 FF:14 T:12 (mage armor) | CMD:14 (+4 trip/rush) | +3 +5 +5 (+dwarf)| Init:+2 Per:+7 | Force Missile 4/6

"Anybody got any idea what that eyeball thing was?"


Is that what you really want to do?

K-Dungeoneering DC 12:

The creature is called a Lurking Strangler. It is an aberration creature type. They are in the same family as Beholder creatures. Each eye does ray attack, much like a Beholder. This one did Cause Fear and Sleep as a Supernatural Ability. They have no real strengths or weaknesses.

One of its favorite things to do is cause its victims to Sleep then use its ability to Suffocate him. It is good that it was not able to make its way to Dalron because even while its Suffocating it can still use both eye rays.

2,051 to 2,100 of 3,470 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM RelicBlackOUT Old School Modules All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.