Rd Sun's Reign of Winter

Game Master JankInTheTank

Reign of Winter AP, starting at level 1
Loot Sheet

Maps and Info


851 to 900 of 1,504 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Stepping through the portal and experiencing the change from the blustery artificial blizzard to the crisp northern cold was rapturous. Letitia spreads her arms out and spins in the frigid air, feeling the hard, crystalline ground crunch underneath.

"Home..." she says, savoring the chill.

As a measure of precaution, though, Letitia stows her old ice-blue cloak that readily announced her membership among the Jadwiga and opted for some drab and heavier clothes that made her appear much more like a peasant. Letitia had often been counseled that she should travel among the common folk only in strength, because there were those rebels that would strike out at a lone winter witch.

And considering that her current status as an exile still under orders to be executed by Queen Elvanna meant that the ruling Jadwiga would not offer her much help, either.

In short, she best needed to remain inconspicuous.

============

When they encounter the band of people fighting the large mantis, Letitia eyes the natives at Samuel's behest.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

"I've no clue. If we defend them, they might be inclined to share their allegiances. Then we'll know."


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

We Save them of of course. They might be able to help with your shelter problem She rushes over to help


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

K. local (identify if the humans might be allies): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Samuel nods acknowledging both Letitia and Ashling "Then let's hurry up before they are slaughtered!"

The High Sentinel starts moving through the snow while trying to look for a good spot to shot from a relative safe distance.


RoW Maps

Initiative:

Initiative Callix: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Initiative Aisling: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Initiative Letitia: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Initiative Alec: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Initiative Samuel: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Initiative rangers: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Initiative mantis: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Samuel moves up (go ahead and move yourself where you want to be on the map, assume all squares are difficult terrain from the snow. )
Looking at the people, Samuel can determine they are all human, and look Ulfen. there are 2 men and a woman None of them are wearing anything resembling a uniform, and the woman does not look like a witch (at least not a Jadwiga like Letitia), and is carrying two hand axes. there is no way to know from this distance who they might be aligned with, but none are using magic and you don't spot any fey creatures involved int he scuffle

the mantis moves towards and attacks one of the humans around it
claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

the man is injured and lets out a cry, but keeps his feet.

The party may act


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Samuel advances near the northern trees by when the mantis slashes on the warrior "They are Ulfen warriors!"

The High Sentinel moves as far as he can, stepping on the snow with his snowshoes while he tries to attract the attention of the mantis "Hey you overgrown attempt of a shrub! We are here! Come and see us!"
Bluff (provoke): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Double move to get into touch and point blank distance


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

Ashling full on charges toward the mantis with her blade drawn, If you're injured, back away and take to ranged. I will handle the martial combat.

Charge Action

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

At Samuel's pronouncement, Letitia looks to the owl on her shoulder. "Best you stay out of sight. But stay close." Lazlo hoots once and flies into the frozen branches nearby.

Deciding not to tempt fortune by revealing any of her witch's powers, she trains her crossbow at the monster and lets a bolt fly.

Ranged: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1
Confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5


HP 30/30 AC 19, Touch 12, Flatfooted 17, CMD 21, Saves F +7, R +7, W +4 (+2 vs. divination; +8 vs. nonlethal from cold); Perception +8, Sense Motive +1; Init +2 | Status: Normal

Fool girl! Alec cursed to himself. He immediately gave chase after Ashling, dashing through the snow as easy as running down a street. He would not let her face such a foe alone.

Double Move


RoW Maps

Without needing much discussion, the party decides to come to the rescue of the group of humans.

Letitia shows once again that her skills are broader than just casting spells, scoring a critical hit on the mantis doing decent damage.

Ashling charges in, slashing at the creature and drawing its attention away from the humans around it.
As she moves in, the Mantis slashes at her with a claw, but she is too quick
AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Callix uses her last blessing of the day, getting a boost of speed and moving through the snow similarly to Alec and Ashling. she moves up quickly but is not close enough to attack yet.

The mantis turns its attention to the new threat, attacking Ashling
claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
it then grabs at her
grab: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
it brings her close, biting her with its mandibles
mandible: 1d20 ⇒ 18
damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Total of 22 damage and grappled

while the bug is distracted the humans around it pelt it with arrows
male 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
the second male makes a full withdraw to get away from the mantis as he was heavily injured last round
female: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 2 = 20
damage: 1d8 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 2 = 10

The woman seems to be much more experience than the men, and scores a hit

The party may act

Reminder to go into the maps/info page and update your saves, perception, HP and AC if any of those changed during level-up. I updated Ashlings HP total because she just got hit hard, but I haven't adjusted anyone else

GM Red Sun wrote:


Stat Tracker
Global Condition: blizzard |

Global Condition:
Callix HP: 14/17 - AC: 17/13/14 Status:
Letitia: HP: 13/14 - AC: 12/12/10 Status:
Alec HP: 18/18 - AC: 17/12/15 Status:
Samuel HP: 20/20 - AC: 18/15/13 Status:
Ashling HP: 2/24 - AC: 18/14/14 Status:

NPCs:
Mantis: HP -23 | AC: 18


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Samuel clenches his teeth as the mantis tears through Ashling's body with ease "What kind of beast is that?!"

Despite being utterly fatigued, the High Sentinel attempts to profit the inferior mobility of the mantis while it grapples Ashling, and attempts to discharge his musket from touch distance!
Musket+PB-fatigued (grappled, touch and precise shot): 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 10
Piercing/Bludgeoning damage+PB: 1d12 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Immediately thereafter Samuel reloads his musket with powder and a new bullet, the high presure of the last days clearly have forced him used to shot at a higher demand.

Bullets: 39


HP 30/30 AC 19, Touch 12, Flatfooted 17, CMD 21, Saves F +7, R +7, W +4 (+2 vs. divination; +8 vs. nonlethal from cold); Perception +8, Sense Motive +1; Init +2 | Status: Normal

Alec slipped behind Ashling, using her for cover as he moved into position to stab at the giant mantis.

Shortspear: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Piercing damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
"I'm not entirely sure, Samuel," Letitia says to the gunman's question, "but I would suggest killing it first and investigating it later."

Concerned about Ashling, but unable to do much except shoot it, Letitia reloads her crossbow and sends another arrow at the creature.

Ranged: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

swift action, Cold Aura: 1d6 ⇒ 6
escape artist to escape Grapple: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Acrobatics to move through enemy threaten squares with no AOO.: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Ashling activates the cold aura of the new mantle she acquired and then attempts to escape the grapple , provided she does she maneuvers around Alec an out of it's range


RoW Maps

Ashling realizes the danger she is in and gets out of the way, slipping fromt he mantis' claws and moving away.

Samuel takes a shot, hitting the mantis with a bullet
I think I'm missing something in your actions there. even with your rapid relaod it should be a standard action to reload right? if you're using paper cartridges it would be a move action, but then the shot you took may have been a misfire?

Alec and Letitia are unable to penetrate the hard shell of the creature. Letitia is not able to determine anything useful about the Mantis, other than it seems a bit tougher than normal.

Callix moves forward, slipping under the beast's reach while it is distracted by gripping Ashling, then slashes at it with her axe
throwing axe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

the Ulfen humans continue to pelt the thing with arrows
male 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
male 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3
female : 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14

the mantis takes another wound but keeps fighting, surrounded and angry.
it slashes at Alec and Callix with its claws
attack Alec: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
grab: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15
attack Callix: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

GM Red Sun wrote:


Stat Tracker
Global Condition: blizzard |

Global Condition:
Callix HP: 14/17 - AC: 17/13/14 Status:
Letitia: HP: 13/14 - AC: 12/12/10 Status:
Alec HP: 17/26 - AC: 18/12/16 Status:
Samuel HP: 20/20 - AC: 18/15/13 Status:
Ashling HP: 2/24 - AC: 18/14/14 Status:

NPCs:
Mantis: HP -36 | AC: 18


Skills:
(Acro +11; Climb +5; Diplo: +1; Heal: +7; Know(Religion) +4; Sense Motive: +2; Spellcraft +6; Survival: +6)
Female Human (Ulfen) Warpriest 4
Vitals:
(HP: 31/31 AC: 18/13/15; Percep: +6; Init: +3; Fort +7, Ref: +4, Will: +6; CMD: 17; CMB +4; Speed: 30;Resist Cold: 2)

Earlier..

Callix says, "They're Ulfen in Irrisen. They need our help... even if they're thralls... actually, especially then."


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Letitia moves forward and into the range of her potent hexes. She doesn't want to do anything too obvious lest the Ulfen become suspicious of her abilities. So she targets the monster with her Misfortune hex that Lazlo had showed her the night before.

Misfortune, Will DC 15, or roll twice and take the lowest on all d20 rolls for the next round.


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Sorry GM, I have almost completed Samuel leveling up (pending skills and feat only), I have not posted yet, but I already took into consideration he gets this level fast musket which allows him to treat muskets as one-handed firearms for reloading. That+Rapid reload is the source of the move action reload. I am sorry if that was confusing, I will try to complete his level up today so all the details are clear :/

Samuel is surprised his badly aimed bullet hit the dangerous creature and to find his musket already loaded so fast. Emboldened he tries to ignore his fatigue, takes aim and shots another bullet!
Musket+PB-fatigued (touch and precise shot): 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 20
Piercing/Bludgeoning damage+PB: 1d12 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Again, the Sentinel shows an improved skill to reload his musket before the mantis can continue tearing down his companions.

AC 17 TAC 14
Bullets: 38


1 person marked this as a favorite.
RoW Maps

OK, gotcha. no worries, I'm just not super familiar with gunslingers. I had one in my RL RoW, but he was extremely new to the game in general. pretty sure we did some things wrong.

Samuel's shot once again strikes true, killing the beast.

End of combat

The humans approach warily, still holding their weapons, though the one who was injured sits down on the ground and starts bandaging his side.

The woman seems to be in charge and she approaches and addresses you in accented common:
"Hello strangers! Thank you for the assistance, I believe you saved Garthur's life! But if I might ask, who are you and how did you get all the way out here dressed like that?! You'll never survive the night in the snow with that outlander clothing.

My name is Nadya, I'm a trader out of the town of Waldsby. We're heading back there now. I would be happy to bring you to town and help get you some proper equipment, but I have an injured man and a storm is coming. we are going to need to camp here. Please join us, we have spare tents in case of emergency. I'll get a fire started.

The woman seems much less worried about inviting strangers to join her, though her two male companions keep a close eye on you.


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Samuel listens carefully to the woman and then turns to look at his companions. Understanding they are now in hostile territory and these people might be loyal to Elvanna, the Taldan tries to gain time to think a ruse to cover their identity and uncover these people loyalties "Aye it seems the beast choked with its Garthur's meal" while offering a wide smile.

"My name is Samuel. Nice to meet you Nadya" Samuel looks carefully at the woman "We are wanderers who got lost. We spotted that tall ice tower to the West and decided to look for some protection there, maybe trade up some stuff if lucky"
Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

The man attempts to gauge his listeners and their reactions to the ruse and the Pale Tower mentioning "We are lucky to found you instead of the storm it seems"
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Is there any image available for these NPCs?


Skills:
(Acro +11; Climb +5; Diplo: +1; Heal: +7; Know(Religion) +4; Sense Motive: +2; Spellcraft +6; Survival: +6)
Female Human (Ulfen) Warpriest 4
Vitals:
(HP: 31/31 AC: 18/13/15; Percep: +6; Init: +3; Fort +7, Ref: +4, Will: +6; CMD: 17; CMB +4; Speed: 30;Resist Cold: 2)

Callix smiles at Samuel's open, As tempting as it is to assume I've found 'my people', and just trust them, he's got the right of it -- we're in a strange land in the middle of something that none of us fully understand -- even Letitia, which is why she's so scared.... And, spoiled wine, it's cold -- and I'm never cold.

Callix chatters her teeth and nods, "I am Callix Ingritdottir, and I very much appreciate your hospitality, the ability to trade to get appropriate gear, and right at this moment, especially, the fire... "


RoW Maps

Nadya's eyes narrow at mention of the Pale Tower. She keeps her pleasant demeanor and smile but Samuel can tell mention of the tower got her guard up and she is now studying you a good deal closer.

By the looks of your dress, you have been wandering for a very long distance! Though we have seen a number of things out of place like this green mantis here. were you transported here somehow, or have you somehow managed to survive in this cold for weeks to wander to this place?

I am having trouble placing you. this woman Callix looks like she could be an ulfen, but the men who accompany you are clearly foreigners. the quiet woman I can't quite place, but she doesn't look as uncomfortable here as some of you. and the young girl doesn't look to be related to any of you if I had to guess.

If you truly are foreigners I will give you this word of warning. this is the land of the witches. they rule this place absolutely and have eyes everywhere. if you are not working with them, I would suggest you stay away from entanglements with them. and that includes going to their Pale Tower.

Sense Motive 15:

You get the sense that she has strong opinions about witches one way or another, but is unwilling to say more until she has decided which side you're on, and is skirting around the issue


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

sense motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

i am Ashling frostwing, a devotee of Ashava. I am foreign though my parents are from here. Perhaps you can help us get out of the approaching storm. We did save you from the mtis after all


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Letitia continues to remain silent, though it still hasn't enabled her to gain a read on the woman speaking. When she talks about the witches ruling this place, her mouth twitches despite herself.

She yearns to ask questions, but feels that anything she says could cast further suspicion on her. So she gathers her borrowed southern cloak around her closer, hoping to remain anonymous.


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Perceiving Nadya's sensibility about the witches Samuel and hoping the others are on line with his decision he reveals a bit more about the party origin "We were going through the Border Woods at Taldor when we were surprised by a blizzard. Shortly thereafter we found ourselves in these strange lands. I guess the mantis came exactly from the same place as us."
Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

"But let's don't be oversuspicious, we fought together against the mantis, we are somehow brothers of battle. I would be glad to accept your fire and refugee and I hope my friends here would do as well" Samuel will gladly help Nadya and the others find shelter and set the camp to pass the storm.
Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Assuming they are settled around a fire the High Sentinel resumes the conversation while evaluating Nadya and her companions "So you say the witches are dangerous and we better do not approach to the Pale Tower? Who lives in there?"
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


HP 30/30 AC 19, Touch 12, Flatfooted 17, CMD 21, Saves F +7, R +7, W +4 (+2 vs. divination; +8 vs. nonlethal from cold); Perception +8, Sense Motive +1; Init +2 | Status: Normal

Alec had to turn around to hide his eyes as the conversation started. He didn't want his ignorance and surprise to ruin things for everyone so he stood silent, his eyes scanning the perimeter for signs of movement.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

He couldn't help but risk a glance back towards Ashling. Near as he could tell, that giant bug thing was almost the end of her. He had suffered a pretty nasty slice to his shoulder from one of it's claws, but it seemed pale in comparison to the damage she had sustained.


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

Ashling lets a couple deep breathes in and out, she places a hand over her chest and casts cure light wounds twice.

clw: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (4, 5) + 2 = 11

Some cuts heal, but it's easy to see she's a novice healer I really need to get better at that


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Seeing Ashling still carries the remains of the savaging that the monstrous insect had dealt her, she steps closer to her and applies some healing of her own.

Cure Light: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

"How's that?" she asks.


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

thank you, much better... i am still learning The art. She looks a bit awkward i tend to lose myself in the midst of combat...


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Letitia arches an eyebrow at Ashling. "Be careful that you don't lose your life as well."


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

not before i avenge my family, after that I could care less if i love or die She plays with her scarf, she takes a distant tone, eyes drifting toward the sky as if sinking into a memory


1 person marked this as a favorite.
RoW Maps

Nadya accepts Samuel's help in setting up a camp. they find a good spot protected from the oncoming storm slightly by a natural hill and set up a fire and some simple tents. Nadya and her companions move with quick practiced motions, clearly having camped out in the wilds on a regular basis.

She looks thoughtful at Samuel's words. All the way from Taldor? so then the rumors of Irrisen expanding their borders are true... I never imagined they would try to reach so far as Taldor.

Over the campfire Nadya talks a little more openly, having decided that you are a group of foreigners that probably don't know much about what is going on here.

I can see from your healing abilities you are not completely unprepared, but I should warn you about what you're getting yourselves into. this land is ruled by the Winter Witches. they are a powerful family that supposedly can all trace their roots back to Baba Yaga. in their eyes you're either one of them, a Jadwiga they call themselves, or you're not. anyone without that blood is seen as a servant or a plaything.

Be careful asking too many questions about the Pale Tower. People that pry into the affairs of witches tend to have trouble heaped upon them. Her eyes turn angry, and Samuel notices she is trying to hold back tears. Even an innocent slight by a child can be quickly and harshly punished by a witch with no recourse.

I am as familiar as anyone around here with the Pale Tower, as I bring regular shipments of good from my town of Waldsby to the tower, in payment of a debt to the mistress of the tower a powerful witch named Nazhena. I have never seen inside of the tower, however. it is a fortress made of ice, and would be very hard to get into uninvited.

Nadya stops talking suddenly at a signal from one of her men. Someone is coming she tells the group.

coming towards the camp you see a blue-skinned female humanoid dressed in fine blue and sivler clothing and carrying a small harp-like instrument. She has a human-like upper body with a horned head and hairless goat's legs.

She is making no effort to not be seen, and when she sees that she has been spotted raises a hand in greeting

Hello! I was traveling through but seem to be in danger of getting stuck out in a storm! can I join your fire this evening? I can provide song and entertainment in payment for some warmth and shelter

how do you respond?


Skills:
(Acro +11; Climb +5; Diplo: +1; Heal: +7; Know(Religion) +4; Sense Motive: +2; Spellcraft +6; Survival: +6)
Female Human (Ulfen) Warpriest 4
Vitals:
(HP: 31/31 AC: 18/13/15; Percep: +6; Init: +3; Fort +7, Ref: +4, Will: +6; CMD: 17; CMB +4; Speed: 30;Resist Cold: 2)

Callix nods, "I am, indeed, Ulfen... while the group is from Taldor, my Clan and people are from the Lands of the Linnorm Kings..." She pauses, considering adding more, ...let's not out myself as the daughter of a Blackraven just yet..., then continues, "And so these Winter Witches, and the tales of the Irrisen expansion have been the tales of my nightmares since I was a child... though even in those stories, we never dreamed of them reaching so far south."

Callix watches the newcomer approach, "Anyone have an idea what that is?", she asks in a whisper as it raises its hand. "I'd prefer not to make any new enemies, and to offer what hospitality we can, but this isn't our fire, and I'd hate to invite something evil into the circle."

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

As Nadya talks and opens herself the Taldan starts to give her more and more credit "I see... so the witches are also extorting you. Has always been like that here or only recently? I wonder if this Nazhena has been the one opening the portal to my hometown in Taldor..." the Sentinel takes a mental note that the woman often brings shipments to the tower.

As the stranger approaches Samuel eyes him, trying to measure his intents and values.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
K. local (it does not seem humanoid but...): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

"My name is Samuel. What is yours?" he turns to Nadya at that point "It is not our decision to let you in into our fire but hers. This is her campsite..."


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Do I recognize the name Nazhena?

Letitia stays quiet, though her mind whirls as Nadya talks about her family. Her stomach twists as she stares at the fire.

When the camp newcomer arrives, she considers what being it might be.
Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


RoW Maps

Nadya looks like she is about to tell Samuel more about why she is being extorted by the witch, but is interrupted by the arrival of the new person.

Letitia does recognize the name. Nazhena Vasilliovna is a witch of middling power who controls a region in the southeast of Irrisen. she is known to be ambitious and always looking for a way to advance herself, but she is not nearly as powerful as her mother was. Her family is known to be very close to Elvanna's.

_________

When the stranger approaches, she answers Samuel My name is Mierul, I am a traveling performer. She looks back and forth between Nadya and your group

Seems like an odd mix of people already, surely you wouldn't mind one more?

Nadya seems nervous about letting this person in, but greets her with a smile anyways.

Yes, please join us, we have room. Wouldn't want you getting stuck out in that storm! my name is Nadya, from the town of Waldsby. these are my visiting relatives from a bit further south. My cousin Callix, her daughter, her brother and his wife(pointing to samuel and letitia)And a guide that they hired for the journey(pointing to Alec).

The new woman eyes you all with an appraising look, likely trying to guage how likely Nadya's story is.
if you want to play along with Nadya's story you can use diplomacy to aid her and try to make her story sound more believable. or you can tell her the truth. or just sit back and see how it plays out.

Letitia is the only one who recognizes the creature. She is a Forlarren, the product of a union between a fiend and a nymph.


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Nadya's pointing gives Samuel chills all through his spine, but he attempts to maintain poker face. The man casually embraces Letitia through the shoulders "My honey wanted to meet my family for a while now. Hell's Teeth! How wary can a woman be? Could she not believe she is my first and only one?" the Sentinel laughs and offers a wide smile.
Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 If possible I would try to help with Bluff instead

Trying to move away the focus of the conversation from themselves Samuel asks the new comer "So you are a performer you say? What kind of show do you perform? Would you please to deal some performance to enjoy our time while we wait for the storm to pass?"


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Either one's the same
Bluff/Diplomacy (assist): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Letitia leans against Samuel and smiles in a way that she hopes a wife would smile if she was finally getting her way. "You are older than me, Husband," she offers, trying to defend herself in the fiction Samuel just created.

Identifying the fey/fiend hybrid, Letitia tenses slightly under Samuel's arm, and hopes that he senses her action being about the fey and not simply being close to him.


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

Ashling rolls her eyes and keeps quiet, wrapping herself in the cloak. She watches the creature that just appeared carefully


HP 30/30 AC 19, Touch 12, Flatfooted 17, CMD 21, Saves F +7, R +7, W +4 (+2 vs. divination; +8 vs. nonlethal from cold); Perception +8, Sense Motive +1; Init +2 | Status: Normal

Alec simply nodded in greeting. In his case, it wasn't exactly a lie. He had received a split of the loot as payment, and he was in fact a guide. An experienced outdoorsman, capable of leading excursions through many terrains. Still, he was hoping that the fey didn't notice he wasn't truly dressed for such an environment. Hopefully the shear number of bodies was enough to distract it. Again he nodded before heading over to his bedroll, his falcata still on his hip.

Diplomacy, aid another: 1d20 ⇒ 14


Skills:
(Acro +11; Climb +5; Diplo: +1; Heal: +7; Know(Religion) +4; Sense Motive: +2; Spellcraft +6; Survival: +6)
Female Human (Ulfen) Warpriest 4
Vitals:
(HP: 31/31 AC: 18/13/15; Percep: +6; Init: +3; Fort +7, Ref: +4, Will: +6; CMD: 17; CMB +4; Speed: 30;Resist Cold: 2)

Callix nods, "To be honest, it was trip that was long overdue.. though we were rather pushed into making it by a certain someone..." She lets her voice trail off for a moment, making it clear that she's referring to the insecure girl, "...she was most insistent we come as quickly as possible."

Bluff (Aid): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12 Whole lot of half-truths..


RoW Maps

GM rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 15

Mierul smiles at the group as introductions are made. You have a lovely family, Nadya. I have been to Waldsby a time or two, it really is a charming little town. I'm sure you will all enjoy your stay.

I would urge caution, however. you have picked a slightly unfortunate time to visit the north. There is a dangerous fugitive that has been seen in this area, messages have been going around warning people about him. some black-armored mounted knight is apparently terrorizing the countryside and has so far evaded capture. the witches here are very serious about finding him. If you happen to run into him keep your heads down and let the witches know. they will surely pay well for any information.

Mierul seems to accept your story and doesn't ask any more questions about your backgrounds. she pulls out her harp and sings a few popular songs. she offers to sing stories about the history of the region for you new visitors if there is anything about this country or its history that you are curious about.


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

"Got it" Samuel laughs at Letitia's pun and wonders what the meaning of the woman's tension is "I guess the cold winds do not do well to the masculine face frame"

Samuel recognized the veiled mention to the Black Rider "Terrifying indeed. There are so many in Irrisen these days that refuse to follow the ancient traditions of the land..." the Sentinel stares at the strange creature "What has he done exactly? Any place we should avoid in particular?"
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

The Taldan takes the offer of songs and stories by heart "My mother used to sing a song about the Dancing Hut. Do you have any of that Mierul?"

As long as Mierul or the other Ulfen do not perform suspicious acts, Samuel goes on with the ruse and let's the night pass. He does though insist to take watch and ensure there is always one of the party members performing watch with whomever else want to stay awake.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
RoW Maps

GM roll:

1d20 ⇒ 13

Oh, I'm just a passing entertainer, I don't know the details of what happened. I don't want to get involved with this knight if I can avoid it. I know he did something to displease the queen and that he has been labeled as extremely dangerous.

Samuel:

You feel like she is telling the truth and that she doesn't have much more ifnormation about what is happening. she was just passing on a warning to you as newcomers in the area.

Sense Motive DC 26:

There is more to the story here. Mierul is closely watching your faces as she describes the rider, trying to determine if you have had contact with the rider. She is clearly mor einterested in him than she is letting on. perhaps she is after the reward for turning him over to the witches, or perhaps she is one of those who was hunting him on this side of the portal

Mierul pulls out her harp. Yes, the great witch and her magical hut are quite a theme in stories here in the north.

She plays a soft melody on her harp and tells the story of the origin of the dancing hut:

Long ago, Baba Yaga wanted to travel to different world and the spaces between.

When she stepped out from her hut in the woods she saw chickens scratching for grain in the yard and she had an idea

With ancient rituals and powerful magic, her abode awoke!

This terrible hut that stands on chicken legs - always dancing, hopping, twirling and prancing - is how she travels between worlds.

When it rests, which it seldom does, a fence with a glowing skull atop each post springs up and the forest closes around it to shield from prying eyes.

If you wish to enter the hut it will dance and hop and turn its back to you to refuse your entry through its tiny door.

you must stand before it and loudly proclaim

Hut, O Hut, Turn your back to the woods and your face to me

There are a ton of really neat and creepy poems out there about baba yaga, but not a whole lot about the hut specifically, unfortunately... I found what i could


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Samuel nods convinced by Mierul and frankly interested in the poem now that the group has made an oath to find it "You are quite a good singer Mierul. This has been the most joyful evening in many days now..."

As the music springs on during the evening Samuel offers his hand to Letitia "Wife, a dance. Do you still remember how we were doing it when we recently met?"

If Letitia accepts:

Perform (dance): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16

As the hours pass Samuel produces a pot with cinamon cookies and eats one, offering the others to pick their own, starting by Nadya "They are home made"

"Do you think the storm will last for long? I think we shall take watches despite the blizzard. I can take the first watch" the Taldan offers to Nadya in particular, sensing she is somehow the authority of the camp.

At some point before the strange fey moves away Samuel asks him "So where are you heading after the storm leaves us Mierul?"


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Letitia pauses a moment and studies Samuel's face as he asks her to dance. It was part of the fiction thrust upon them by their new hosts, but she had always been aware that part of her duties as a Jadwiga was to procreate. Her "husband's" dark hair was uncommon in the frigid north of Irrisen, but not completely unseen. She decided that it would be acceptable to have children with him at some point, if she ever secured her place amongst the Jadwiga again.

With that decision made, a slight smile touches her porcelain face and she takes his hand. Rising, she says, "of course, Husband. If I recall, it's what drew your eye to me in the first place."

Perform: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Whoa, check it out. The witch has moves.

Letitia lets the music take hold and she dances with Samuel to the songs of the North.


Female Human Oracle 2 / Lore warden Fighter 2 | HP 29/29 | AC:18 / T: 14 / FF: 14 /Resist: 2 Cold| Fort: +5, Ref: +4(+6 if winter), Will: +2 | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Init: +4 (+6 if winter), Perception: +1 (Snow Sight)

Ashling watches the dancing with a smile, for once. i will take a later watch, i enjoy the night time Her white hair falling around her as she lays back in the snow, content with everything at the moment


HP 27/34 | AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13 | CMD 19 | F +7 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs divinations; reroll vs charm/compulsion) Resist cold 2 | Grit: 1/3 Bravado: 1/1 Oath: 1/1 Bullets: 34 Cartridge: 10 Flare: 10 | Ini +7 | Senses +9
Skills:
Acrobatics+9,Bluff+6,Climb+2,Diplom-1,HandleAnimal+3,Heal+8,Intimidate-1,K. eng+6,K.Local+6,Ling+3,S.Motives+9,SoH+8,Stealth+2,Survival+9,Swim+2
Male Human Gunslinger (Musket Master) 4 | -

Samuel takes Letitia's hand and starts to dance a northern traditional dance with her, one he sought his mother to dance multiple times when he was a child. As they do, things turn out to be easier than he expected. His usually clumsy feet seem perfectly and beautifully synchronized. As their bodies close up, the Taldan finds out the witch is softer than he thought; in an aspect. While Mierul's songs play out Samuel loses the flow of time, feeling strange about what is going on he whispers to Letitia's ear "Is this part of your charm magic?" The Sentinel enjoys the rest of the night.

"Aye Ashling, don't lose sight of our new friends too... I am not yet fully convinced about them" with that, Samuel looks for a nice spot to watch the camp during the firs watch.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


HP: 26/26, AC 13 t:12 ff:11, f+2 r+3 w+4 Perc +10, init +2

Letitia's eyes dance as much as the rest of her body when Samuel asks if this is part of her magic. "Why, husband, isn't everything I do magic?"

When the evening reaches a close, she accepts whatever watch is assigned her. Lazlo joins her on the watch, staying close and helping her stay aware during her time on watch.


RoW Maps

The group enjoys the evening, each playing their roles well in front of the forlarren bard. After the events of the last few days it is easy to fall asleep even in an unknown area, and a little bit of relaxation with music and growing friendships makes for a very pleasant evening.

The party is careful to still keep watch and to make sure that one of their number is always on each watch.

the storm lets up half way through the night, and things remain still around the campsite. shortly before dawn, Mierul quietly gathers her things and walks away from the camp, heading in the direction opposite Waldsby. she gives a flourished bow to whoever is on last watch.

In the morning, Nadya doesn't say much about the guest from the night before or why she made up stories about your identities. she and her crew pack up quickly and prepare head towards the village.

You are welcome to journey with us back to our home of Waldsby. we have plenty of room on our sleds if any of you are not able to move well in the snow. there you could purchase more suitable equipment for the North. if you wish to part ways here I wish you luck. If you do attempt to break into the Pale Tower and are captured byt he witch there please do not mention my name in connection with your time here...

851 to 900 of 1,504 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Red Sun's Reign of Winter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.