PbP Gameday VI: Pathfinder Module: Murder's Mark [Tier 1-2] (Inactive)

Game Master Uktar

Murder’s Mark is an adventure of mystery, illusion, and mob justice for 1st-level characters.

maps & images for Murder's Mark (PbP GDVI)


1 to 50 of 642 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

For dotting...and feel free to introduce your character if they are ready (don't fret. Plenty of time for this later, just setting it up.)

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

dotting....and just realized i didnt save my update for second lvl....groan...will do it tonight...

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

A trim young man with dark hair and dark eyes sits casually in the lodge while he waits for the other pathfinders to arrive. Seemingly in his early 20s, he is dressed in fine clothes and carries no visible weapons.

He taps the fingers of one hand upon a nearby table, curios as to who else will be joining him on this fine day today.

Scarab Sages

Male Wayang Aerokineticist 4 | 34/39 HP {8 NL}; AC 18(T:15/ F:15) F+8/R+7/W+1 ; Init +5; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft.) | 20% (or better) miss chance from physical ranged attacks

A small wayang enters the room. Clad in various shades of grey and off white, the man gives of the sense he is little more substantial than a puff of smoke. Seeing the young alchemist, the wayang approaches him, then looks around the room. With a raised finger, "Just a moment." the figure grabs a chair and struggles to drag it over toward the waiting human. "You would think ...with so many little races... that The Society would have... shorter...and lighter...chairs. No, don't get up or anything...I got this." After climbing into the chair next to Brinshandyr, the wayang plops down as he extends a hand and amiably introduces himself as he catches his breath."Hello there! M'names Wisp! Emberflake. Well that makes it sound like two separate things, which it kinda is. Anyway, I am Wisp Emberflake, but you can call me Wisp." The awkward handshake continues long after the scattered introduction as Wisp stares at Brinshandyr and waits for the young man to introduce himself.

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

The wait is short, as Brin smiles easily at the small pathfinder.

"Well met Mr. Emberflake, excuse me, Wisp, as you prefer." comes the gracious reply. "My name is Brinshandyr."

After a brief and awkward silence as the two men stare at each other, Brinshandyr continues, "So, I myself am a dabbler. I work in, oh let's say a variety of skills, with the most notable being work in the alchemical arts." Then after a brief pause, he continues, "If I may be so bold as to inquire, what manner of skill set would you be bringing to this endeavor kind sir?"

Scarab Sages

Male Wayang Aerokineticist 4 | 34/39 HP {8 NL}; AC 18(T:15/ F:15) F+8/R+7/W+1 ; Init +5; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft.) | 20% (or better) miss chance from physical ranged attacks

"Well, some have called me an 'air-bender', others still have called me a 'wind-witch', and one guy said I was full of 'hot air'. I personally don't know what any of those things are, or if they are related Mr. Shandyr. What I do know is that I know a little bit about the workings of the planes and I know how to give a good tattoo. Last mission I was on required both of those skills." Wisp sits back and knocks his feet together to pass the time. After a minute of two he asks,"Need a tattoo?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

"Not necessarily need but the idea is intriguing. I have been thinking on how I might work an extract or a potion into a tattoo that could more easily be concealed, but alas so far it is only theory for me. One day maybe I will attempt it, but that day is not today I am afraid."

Then, as an afterthought, he adds "And please, call me Brin."

Scarab Sages

Male Wayang Aerokineticist 4 | 34/39 HP {8 NL}; AC 18(T:15/ F:15) F+8/R+7/W+1 ; Init +5; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft.) | 20% (or better) miss chance from physical ranged attacks

Wisp nods to the alchemist, "Okay."

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

A tall man with broad shoulder and a somewhat dour demeanour enters the lodge. He carries a pack laden with supplies and a variety of wealons on his belt, the obvious favourite a glistening longsword of quality manufacture, likely dwarven, but it is a dark gleam, due to the fact us is made if cold iron and not steel. He drops the pack in a corner and lumbers to the table. Good day, I am Patros Randallos, reporting for duty. I see we have a variety of agents...this is good. Variety helps. I am highly trained in combat, but have skills that can be used off the battlefield as well. I assume there are more coming? I thought I was running late...had some business to attend to back home in Taldor...

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

"Patros, you said?" Leppin asks as he squeezes past the broad human, "I think you dropped this." The flame-haired gnome hands the man back his own coin purse. "You've really got to tie those knots better, otherwise, the next thing you know you're reaching to pay your bar tab and all your coins are sitting in the middle of the street. Or in some sharp-eyed fellow's dirty paws."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

A moderate sized man, with a shortbow slung over his shoulder, removes the hood of his cloak to reveal elvish features...

"Sorry I'm late to the party...just finished up a tower exploration and was told to immediately report here. Name's Mythryndyr...but you can call me Myth...

I'm assuming we've had no word as yet?"


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Role Call, everybody. We're starting on Friday, so please check in from your up-to-date character profile that you're playing in this module.
Even better, we're making it a ROLL CALL. Our table has won a Gift Certificate for the con, so please roll a d20. High roller receives the Certificate.

Gift Cert roll: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Ready to roll...

Gift Cert Roll: 1d20 ⇒ 1

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

Gift Cert Roll: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

loot: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

high roll!: 1d20 ⇒ 11

-Posted with Wayfinder

Scarab Sages

Male Wayang Aerokineticist 4 | 34/39 HP {8 NL}; AC 18(T:15/ F:15) F+8/R+7/W+1 ; Init +5; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft.) | 20% (or better) miss chance from physical ranged attacks

Highest ROLL: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Grand Lodge

"Jerb" male gnome mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11, tricks 8/8 | AC 16, T 13, FF 14 | F +2, R +4, W +0 (+2 vs. illusion) | CMB -2, CMD 11 | Spd 20' | Perc +4 | Init +4 | current trick: misdirection (Myth)

winner winner: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Boo! Heh.

A silly gnome cartwheels his way into the room. "Hello fellows! I am Jerbrick and I shall providing some much needed merriment on this venture." He looks around at the grim crowd and whistles. "MUCH needed."

Seeing Leppin, he lights up. "Ah, another gnome! Always a pleasure, friend."

Finally he approaches the archer, sizing him up. "You, sir, look like you could use my help. I'm quite skilled at distracting enemies."

For the record, Jerb specializes in his misdirection trick which he will be implanting on Myth whenever possible. When the trick is active, when Myth attacks, I can roll a bluff (feint) check at +12 to make Myth's target flat-footed. Works pretty nicely with sneak attackers.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth grins at the gnome. "You'll be useful to have around...and I'd be grateful for your help..."

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

Patros looks down at the bard. Remind be to keep you in front if me... he jests as he grabs the pouch out if the bard's hands. He grumbkes as he puts his money in a more secure spot. Well, it looks as though there is a good breadth of expertise in this group. Good. Leppin...you are capable of using wands, yes? I will trust you with this then...as I cannot use it. Use it as you see fit on anyone. he sayscas he pulls out a wand and hands it to the gnome. use freely...just keep track of charges

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

"Aye," Leppin's head bobs in the affirmative. "I know a fair smattering of magic. What's this one doe? Healing?"

He grins at Jebrick. "You too! I was afraid that I was going to get bored."

Scarab Sages

Male Wayang Aerokineticist 4 | 34/39 HP {8 NL}; AC 18(T:15/ F:15) F+8/R+7/W+1 ; Init +5; Perception +9 (darkvision 60 ft.) | 20% (or better) miss chance from physical ranged attacks

"Always nice to meet new people." The wayang works his way down the line, shaking hands in introduction. "I like your hat Mr. Gnome. I am Wisp. Mr. Mythryndyr...my, that is a wonderful moniker. I am Wisp. Mr. Gnome, you have very fast hands. I am Wisp. Mr. PatrosRandallos, you have a very long name. I am still Wisp."

He continues to shake Patros' hand as he looks at the others. "So, does anyone know when we leave?" The human slayer soon realizes that Wisp does not seem to be letting go anytime soon, almost as if he has forgotten he had hold of it.

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

"I am certain it will be soon my small friend." Brinshandyr says reassuringly.

In relation to the entirety of time, it is difficult to imagine that statement as false.

"As the ever so friendly Wisp has done, so shall I introduce my self. Well met to you all. Please, call me Brin." he says with a deep bow and arm flourish. "I dabble in many different fields of study, but my passion is in understanding the living mind and all the variations that presents. The Society employs me more for my skill in alchemy, mind you, but I endeavor to offer both skill sets on missions."

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

"You can call me Leppin," he replies to the wayang as he shakes his hand. "And I am sure that I have no idea what you mean!"

When Wisp is ready to move on to shake Patros' hand, he finds that he is letting go of a small apple rather than the fiery-haired gnome's hand.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Congratulations to our big winner, Wisp. Please PM me with the email address attached to your Paizo account so I can pass it along to the convention.
Also, timing is lousy; I've got a convention this weekend, including helping run Solstice Scar, so my posting will be spotty out the gate, when in fact I really prefer to run a fast moving game (and with this being a module, we need to keep up the pace).

That being said, please check out the googledoc landing page that is linked both at the top of this campaign and in my profile line. It will be the home for maps, images, etc. If you can't access it, please let me know.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

You have been summoned to the Grand Lodge by Sheila Heidmarch. You find yourself in a room with a number of other fresh faces, all of whom have relatively new gear and eager glints in their eyes.

Sheila Heidmarch enters the room with a flourish, then looks around at each of you, waiting for someone to speak up. Without waiting very long at all, she sighs and flounces into a chair before speaking.
“A rather interesting carnival, the Umbra Carnival, is making a stop in Ilsurian this upcoming month. It is a rather curious carnival. Most notably, it proclaims to have a baby dragon and a gynosphinx—-rather unusual creatures to serve humans in any capacity, much less as carnival attractions. I would like you to go to Ilsurian, make notes on your impressions of the town. I also want you to attend this carnival and find out what you can about both the dragon and the gynosphinx."

She starts to get up, then seems to add, almost as if in afterthought:
"Oh, and while you’re in town, please stop by the local pawn shop, the Locked Box. My second-best pearl tiara, a true family heirloom, somehow managed to end up in its shop window. Never mind how it got there. Believe me, the team responsible for that mishap is on a much less pleasant task than visiting a carnival and enjoying some fried dough.”

With that, Sheila Heidmarch hands you a pawn shop claim ticket, a set of tickets to the carnival and detailed travel arrangements, including passage with a local caravan heading through Ilsurian and rooms at a local inn. She dismisses any questions you might have with a wave of her hand. As she walks out of the room, she says, "This is a simple task. I'm sure you can manage it on your own. Ta-ta."

Purchases can be made in Absolom before you go. Fame restrictions, etc., apply of course.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Working with caravans is a common enough practice among pathfinders, and some of you may have even journeyed in such a fashion. Caravaners tend to be a diverse and tolerant lot so long as you can pull your weight. After a bit of curiosity about your group, they welcome having extra guards, scouts and magical assistance. You have good weather, and plenty of opportunity to talk with the merchants and guards along the road about both Ilsurian and the Carnival.

Knowledge Local or Diplomacy (gather intel): Ilsurian

DC 15:
Ilsurian is a trading town in central Varisia, situated on the bank of Lake Syrantula next to the mouth of Skull River.

DC 20 :
Ilsurian is a trading town in central Varisia, situated on the bank of Lake Syrantula next to the mouth of Skull River. Many of the inhabitants of the town descended from ethnic Chelaxians, and most of them have the strong features, pale skin, and dark hair of that group. Most also harbor prejudice against the native Varisians, and believe the stereotypes that Varisians are thieves and layabouts.

DC 25:
Ilsurian is a trading town in central Varisia, situated on the bank of Lake Syrantula next to the mouth of Skull River. Many of the inhabitants of the town descended from ethnic Chelaxians, and most of them have the strong features, pale skin, and dark hair of that group. Most also harbor prejudice against the native Varisians, and believe the stereotypes that Varisians are thieves and layabouts. The town was named for its founder Ilsur, a Knight of Aroden from the city of Korvosa. With the crumbling of the Chelish Empire, Ilsur wanted a militant-leaning meritocracy to replace noble rule in Korvosa, but had to eventually concede defeat roughly 80 years ago. He marched his troops to the west bank of the Skull River where it empties into Lake Syrantula, and awaited a chance to return and seize Korvosa by military force. He died waiting for the opportunity, and his army gradually transformed into a strong community of independent fishers and foresters.

Knowledge Local or Diplomacy (gather intel): The Umbra Carnival

DC 5:
“A traveling carnival? Beware my friend! These things are just a front for criminal activity. The games are rigged, the sideshows are farcical and the food is filthy. Sure the women are comely, but their welcome smiles and scant costumes are a distraction for the menfolk to cut your purse. My cousin got lured behind a wagon by a likely wench and got his head cracked open for his trouble. Blasted dancers! Now he’s dumb and broke. Trust me, keep your distance!”

DC 10:
“Traveling carnivals are wicked fun! Even if you don’t have much coin, there’s always something to see. Harrowers, savage beasts, all manner of freaks and the dancing ladies—oh my! The smell of perfume, roasting meat and pipeweed makes me delightfully dizzy. There’s usually a good fight to watch, too. My uncle told me about this time he won 10 gold Sails wrestling Khoshut the Backbreaker, an exiled Shoanti warchief. I only wish they came more often.”

DC 15:
The Umbra Carnival is one of the many traveling shows that circulate around Varisian towns and cities providing entertainment in exchange for a bit of coin. Some believe these troupes are a front for Sczarni crime families who fleece as many locals as they can before hitting the road ahead of an angry mob. They feature freakshows, games of skill and chance, a menagerie of exotic or dangerous creatures, acrobats, musicians and fortune-tellers. The workers are often all part of an extended family, but there are always a few collected castoffs of society.

DC 20:
The Umbra Carnival began over ten years ago. It grew gradually into the size of a small village, with a diverse array of attractions and amusements from all over Avistan. The sincere intent of the carnival is to provide much-needed entertainment at a price communities can afford. One of the center-stage attractions is Jherizhana, a sphinx captured in Thuvia and bought by the carnival.

DC 25:
The former adventurer Almara Delisen founded the Umbra Carnival over a decade ago. She uses her illusion magic as the centerpiece of a traveling show that passes through small towns starved for entertainment and a glimpse of life beyond their borders. With time, other performers, acts, and attractions joined her circus— lost souls and lonely hearts, eager to see the world or leave some part of it behind.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Diplomacy (Gather Intel): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Diplomacy (Gather Intel): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Myth talks freely with the merchants and guards...while not finding much out about Ilsurian, he finds out a good deal about the carnival there...

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

know local(gather intel)Ilsurian: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Brin, having a wide smattering of knowledge at his disposal, offers what he can about Ilsuian and the Carnival. He paces and gestures with his hands as we talks, often catching the eye of one pathfinder or another, just to make sure they are paying attention.

"I have heard quite a bit about Ilsurian. It's a trading town on the bank of Lake Syrantuala in central Varisia and it sits next to the mouth of Skull River.

Many Chelaxians traveled there in ages past and their legacies live on in the local inhabitants, including prejudices against the native Varisians.

Ilsur, a Knight of Aroden from the city of Korvosa founded the town because he wanted a militant-leaning meritocracy to replace noble rule in Korvosa. He marched his troops to the west bank of the Skull River where it empties into the lake, and awaited a chance to return and seize Korvosa by military force. He died waiting for the opportunity, and his army gradually transformed into a strong community of independent fishers and foresters. This was nearly 80 years ago."

know local(gather intel)The Umbra Carnival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

With a swift turn on one heel, he changes topics to the Umbra Carnival, "As for the Carnival, it's one of the many traveling shows that circulate around Varisia. They feature freakshows, games of skill and chance, a menagerie of exotic or dangerous creatures, acrobats, musicians and fortune-tellers. Some hold these sorts of ventures in contempt, thinking them nothing more than fronts for criminal ventures, but the Umbra Carnival is different. It began 10 years ago and grew over that time to be truly incredible, both in size and scope of attractions. They seem to have the sincere intent of providing much-needed entertainment at a price communities can afford. One of the center-stage attractions is Jherizhana, a sphinx captured in Thuvia and bought by the carnival."

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Leppin makes for chatty company. He entertains the caravan with amusing tales during meal times and with harmless pranks now and then for more personal entertainment.

"Who knows how much of it is illusion," Leppin interjects. "The founder, Almara, is quite the illusionist, I heard. I hope not much of it is illusion, though. I would love to meet a baby dragon and trade stores with a sphinx!"

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

"Quite right Leppin! It would be a fantastic opportunity, trading stories with a Sphinx and seeing a dragon without the need to run away..." Brin muses.

"So, what are we waiting for? Let's go!" he says enthusiasticly.

-Posted with Wayfinder

Grand Lodge

"Jerb" male gnome mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11, tricks 8/8 | AC 16, T 13, FF 14 | F +2, R +4, W +0 (+2 vs. illusion) | CMB -2, CMD 11 | Spd 20' | Perc +4 | Init +4 | current trick: misdirection (Myth)

Jerb listens to the others' reports. "This sounds like a larf!" he declares.

Ready to go.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

After a long and uneventful journey, the last leg of which is by boat as you cross the large Lake Syrantula, you arrive at the docks of Ilsurian late in the afternoon. The caravan master thanks you for your service and company. "Perhaps we'll see you at the carnival tomorrow. We'll be here for a day or two for business and re-supply. And a brief bit of respite before returning to the Open Road," he adds with a wink.

Town map added. Please ignore the numbers in general. Came from a different source. Merely there for flavor.
Where to? The three obvious choices: Crossroads Inn, Locked Box shop, or Carnival. You notice glimpses of the bigtop to the NE. The caravan master provides easy directions to the Inn (#10) and the Locked Box (#11), though he doesn't know anything useful about the proprietors.
You could also spend a few hours carousing the town (i.e. Diplo (gather intel)/Kn-Local.)
Or feel free to suprise me... :^)

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

"Oh! I really, really want to go to the carnival!" Lepping exclaims gleefully. "But I suppose we should arrange lodging and pick up the Venture-Captain's pearls."

The gregarious gnome chats with anyone in the inn, once they arrive.

Diplomacy (Gather Informatin): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth bows. "'Twas a pleasure traveling with you...thanks for the courtesy."

Myth nods to the gnome and follows him to the inn, trying to gather information along the way...

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

"If Venture Captain Heidmarch were in a great hurry for the return of her tiarra she would have sent for it sooner, and not merely as an afterthought to the main objective of our trip. Suffice to say, I think we can wait to retrieve it until after we visit the carnival, Master Leppin, if that truly be your wish." Brin says with a smile to the excited gnome. He then adds, "But I do agree we should secure lodgings before anything else."


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The entire town is abuzz with excitement because the Umbra Carnival is in town. You hear all sorts of outlandish stories, but the more level-headed citizens describe a motley parade of wagons and dray animals that pulled up on the outskirts of town early this morning. While there is obvious disdain amongst the numerous townies of Chellaxian descent (which is literally about 9 out of 10 locals) for the swarthy Varisians, there is some begrudging respect at the speed and professionalism with which they erected the Carnival, some of which was already open for business.

Indeed as you're chatting with one rather snobbish Chellaxian native, you notice you're strolling past the Locked Box, which was a sign in the door, that read:
CLOSED FOR THE CARNIVAL. PLEASE COME AGAIN.

Leppin learns that the proprietor of the Locked Box is Archivin Walder, a human male who's Ilsurian’s chief moneylender, and occasionally a reluctant pawnbroker. Archivin is known to be a hard bargainer, though fair in his business dealings. He's rigorous in trying to avoid dealing in stolen goods, and the pawnbroker side of the business is usually about trying to help honest citizens down on their luck. Myth hears he's married to Agnes Walder, and even when the shop is closed, usually at least 2 guards remain in the shop at all times. There are four guards that actually reside in the shop. Archivin and Agnes live in a separate home, though nobody seems too keen on revealing where that might be, mentioning that Archivin only discusses business in his shop, a stickler to keep his personal and professional life separate.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

When you reach the Crossroads Inn, the place appears completely devoid of any activity. When you enter, there's just an ample Ulfen woman working on some darning behind the bar. She smiles and introduces herself as Helga Jormungand, wife of the owner and proprietor of the Inn.

"Utva, that foolish husband of mine is at the carnival, wasting our hard-earned coin on those silly games. He can't help himself. Boys vill be boys, eh? But I haff more important things to attend to." She holds up her the large sock she's repairing. "You must be the Heidmarch party. Your rooms are ready. There's stew on the stove, but it'd be better to give a few more hours; I only just put in the potatoes a little while ago. You drop your bags off in your rooms then head off for the fun and games for a few hours, eh?" She hands over 6 keys with numbers on them, then mutters to herself "Boys vill be boys."
She waves in parting as she heads into the kitchen. "I go check on stew. Haff fun!"

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth smiles and bows at Helga. "Thank you, ma'am. We'll do as you say...

Well, guys...shall we head to the Carnival?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Alchemist/Inv 3 | HP: 21/21, AC 22(13T/19 FF),CMD:14, Fort:+4*, Ref:+8*, Will:1*, Init:+4|Percep+3(+5)|SM+3| Bombs(DC15)6/8 | Active effects: heightened awareness(20m), cognatogen(20m)

"Indeed we shall, Myth." Brin responds simply, and he turns to head back out the door.

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

Aye...let's see what this carnival is all about. Might be fun... Patros says skeptically.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

As you approach the northeast area of town, you hear the joyful shrieks of children cutting through the rising murmur of crowd noise and the mixture of hurdy-gurdies, bells, whistles and other instruments you don't recognize. The scent of deep-fried dough battles with that of savory roasting meat.

A path runs east here from the midway toward the traveling zoo. To the south are booths with pavilion tent tops that provide shade for the games of skill and chance played beneath. Behind them are circus wagons, some clearly only for transportation and equipment, while others are attractions and portable shops for merchants. To the north is a gigantic tent erected on tall poles with a stage curtain pulled shut across its front.
Before you lies...the Midway. Barkers seek to entice the throng of townies into trying their hand at games of luck & skill, promising much, though more often you hear the disappointed "Aww" from the onlookers as yet another contestant fails.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The closest booth is manned by a very large Ulfen man who's wearing a fur loincloth and a horned helm. He's reassuringly patting the shoulders of a small man dressed in local fashion. "Was a goot try. Perhaps put some ice on that shoulder for a while, eh? Then come back and try again later?"
Beside the strongman stands a 3-foot-wide and 12-foot-high wooden tower crowned with a stuffed lion’s head. At the base is a lever attached to a puck that slides up and down a pole running the length of the tower up to the lion’s head. A heavy, long-handled mallet leans against it.

He sees your group and smiles. "Ah, fellow travellers of the wide world! Welcome, welcome. Did you come far to see the wonders of the Umbra Carnival? Perhaps one of you wee folk would like to try and prove your power and passion by taming the savage beast on yon pole. There's nothing more stirring than proving longshanks aren't the only ones who know how to wield a mallet."
His eyes quickly slide past Patros and settle on Brin and Myth. "Or perhaps one of you two would like to try? Only one copper to prove you are worthy..."

Pretty obvious. You use the mallet to strike the lever as hard as possible to make the puck slide up the pole, hoping it'll reach the lion's head. Anyone who wants to try, it's a strength check. Only one check allowed per PC.

Grand Lodge

male human slayer 3, HP 33/33, AC 20, T 12, FF 18, F +5, R +5, W +3, Init. +4, Perc. +7

Patros shrugs. Why not...some harmless can't hurt.... he says as he fishes a copper out and hands it to the Ulfen and takes the mallet. He takes a deep breath and swings.

str: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The Ulfen man somewhat reluctantly takes Patros' copper, hands him the mallet then steps back.

Patros' blow hits the lever with a satisfying thunk and the puck quickly flies up the pole, slowing near the top, just reaching the lion's head, which emits a quiet roar that almost sounds like a lion. You do notice the pole actually continues up into the lion's head, beyond where the puck reached with Patros' blow.

A few onlookers clap politely as the Ulfen mans smiles broadly and slaps Patros on the back. "Well struck!
He reaches around behind the Lion Pole and grabs something small from a crate. He hands Patros a cheap copper ring--basically a copper piece with a hole in it large enough to wear on your finger. "Congratulations."

He turns to the rest of the party . "Now, perhaps one of the rest of you would like to show this big, strong man how it's really done!"

A small crowd has now gathered, drawn by the desultory lion roar. Mutterings from the crowd are urging you to try it. You overhear one enthusiastic youth tell his friend "I bet you the Chellaxian half-elf can do it!"

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth just politely shakes his head no. "My friend is much stronger than I...I'm sure I can do no better..."

Scarab Sages

NG Male Gnome Bard (Prankster) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 18 T 14 FF 15 | F +2 R +5 W +2 (+1 vs. language dependent/symbols) | CMB/D -2/11 | K (D) +3, K (all) +2 | Perc +7 SM +0 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft | Bardic Performance 2/7 | Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions:

Leppin grins the entire walk to the carnival, occasionally breaking into a skip.

"Oh. This will be fun," Leppin says as he hands over the copper to the buckster. He hops up to grab the hammer handle, kicking his legs to pull it over. He struggles to drag the hammer over to the level and then, with great effort, he swings the hammer and bounces into the air (possibly higher than the puck).

Strength: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Grand Lodge

"Jerb" male gnome mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11, tricks 8/8 | AC 16, T 13, FF 14 | F +2, R +4, W +0 (+2 vs. illusion) | CMB -2, CMD 11 | Spd 20' | Perc +4 | Init +4 | current trick: misdirection (Myth)

Jerb chortles at Leppin's tomfoolery. "Where are the contests designed for the small folk like us?" He skips along to the next booth.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The Ulfen man is very pleased with Leppin daring to give it a go. "A big heart beats within that little chest of yours. You may not have earned a lion's roar, but you have earned the respect of Narthi Vangkot," he says with a bow.

Brin, Wisp feel free to roll a strength check if you'd like. I'm moving to the next booth just to keep things moving with this introductory stuff. But we can easily retro your attempts at strength and bravado...


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

As you stroll along the midway, you come upon the next booth.
Three raised runways meet at a point like an arrow beneath a brightly colored pavilion tent. Where the runways meet sits a tall, rectangular box covered in mirrors. Off to one side is a raised speaker’s podium. Posters on makeshift signs depict an attractive woman in a provocative gown and silver mask, with the words THE LOVELY MADAME MASQUE in bold print. There are 4 men armed with saps, one by each runway, and one by the cabinet of mirrors.

A barker calls to the crowd, "This game is as simple as it gets. All it takes is a keen eye, a sharp mind...and 1 silver piece. Each player kicks a silver into the kitty, and the winner takes half the prize money, the rest of course, goes to the house for expenses." All 5 men take a bow at the word expenses, and many in the crowd chuckle, though some mutter about lazy Varisians expecting to get paid for just standing there.
1 man and 2 women step forward and offer up a silver piece to play.
"Come, come folks, that's hardly enough to entice Madame Masque to emerge. A chance to see such a beauty is worth 1 silver in itself, much less a chance to get paid for the privilege."
The barker spots your group lingering in the back. "You fellas look like you've seen a thing or two, know how things work. How about seeing which of you has sharpest eye and keenest wits. A chance to show up your mates and drink on their coin for the evening!"

1 to 50 of 642 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS PbP Gameday VI - Pathfinder Module: Murder's Mark Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.