[PBP GameDay V] GM Tarondor's PFS Scenario 7-11: Ancient's Anguish [Tier 7-8] (Inactive)

Game Master Tarondor

Ancient's Anguish Map

Ancient's Anguish - Library Research Reference


1 to 50 of 482 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Hey folks! Let's all introduce ourselves in-character before the game starts!

The Exchange

Male Tengu Rogue5/Shadowdancer3

Guten Taug!
How is everyone doing this fine day?

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

The grand lodge clerk who often led you to the room for mission briefings sits down this time.

The blue and green robes and the silver leaf with a drop of water mark the human as a cleric of Gozreh. "May the winds bring you good tidings today as well," the clerk responds to the tengu.

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

A stocky dwarf in a long overcoat walks in, his head hidden by a wide brimmed hat, his hands in fine gloves. A thin wisp of smoke rises under the hat, indicating his fondness of cigars. Lifting his head to show razorsharp teeth, the envy of every respectable shark, the black skin and the burning red eyes of a tiefling he chuckles and introduces himself. "Hello, guten Tag, bonjour, Slanche and Ni Hao."

Liberty's Edge

Female Gnome Alchemist 8 HP 15/59; AC 23; TCH 16; FF 19; F +9; R +11; W +6; CMB+6; CMD 21; Speed 15FT; Init +2; Bombs 13/13; Alch. F. 10/10; Perception +12

A gnome joins the party. Her hair is greenish and she has scars on her hands and in her face. "Hey, folks. Name's Lymwin."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

A short Andoran man walks into the room. He has a relaxed manner, but an efficiency to his movements. While his hair has grown out a bit, it's clear that he was in the military at some point. He has a quiver on his hip, but no bow in sight.

He stops and looks at the tiefling, eyeing him for several seconds. The man seems to be judging Tytus. Eventually, he simply gives a small nod and a small smile. "I'm Kargen Hapspring, Hunter of Erastil."

He bows his head to Tytus in apology. "Forgive the stare. I saw battle at the Worldwound, and...you don't easily forget what you saw there."

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Taking a deep puff of his cigar the tiefling chuckles. Not a pleasant sound, but with genuine warmth."Been there, can´t blame you, lad. Can´t blame you. Trust me, I have seen wee hate in the eyes of my kin, just because me mother was tricked by some foul sorcerer. That´s why I am in the society. But my faith in Torag is strong!
If you check he is lawful good.

The Exchange

Male Tengu Rogue5/Shadowdancer3

"Shadow not evil either, shadow name is Bob, he is freind!
The Tengu looks and laughs as a shadow of a dragon comes off the floor and seems to roar and rear up on two legs. The entire beast was still only the size of a Young Adult medium but it is no less terrifing.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Kargen chuckles and nods. Well, this was that they trained you for. Hunters track their prey using all manner of subterfuge and allies.

"Duly noted. I'll resist the urge to skewer Bob." He looks around at the others with a smirk. "Anybody else got surprisingly not-evil friends?"

The Exchange

Male Tengu Rogue5/Shadowdancer3

The tengu hops about in the shadows thinking, "Drendle Drang is suprisingly not-evil? Does he count?
The blades of his Kukuri momentarily gleam in the light, and the light seems to dim around him as if he is uncomfortable in the bright light.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Kargen barks out of a laugh. "Yes, Drang would count. Sheila Heidmarch too." he smiles.

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

"No. Not evil, but that shouldn't be a surprise either," the cleric emphasizes with a wave of the holy symbol of the nature god.


Hey! I like Sheila Heidmarch.


Each of you received a letter from Venture-Captain Roderus of Katapesh, asking you to meet with Tahonikepsu the Diamond Sage at the Winding
Road Lodge just outside Katapesh. Ships from all over the Inner Sea help you assemble in the city of Absalom. From there, Venture-Captain Roderus has secured passage for you on a ship to Katapesh.

A teenaged errand runner waits for you on the docks and guides to to the combination inn and chapterhouse on the city’s outskirts. There, the aging Venture-Captain Roderus welcomes you and secures you a footbath and meal of lamb and honeyed bread before escorting you to the lodge’s secret basement.

There, TAHONIKEPSU awaits. She bids you welcome, greeting you by name if she met you previously.

“Pathfinders," she begins. "You have my thanks for agreeing to aid us. I am Tahonikepsu, the bearer of the diamond sage jewel. I am also the leader of the Jeweled Sages, an ancient order of scholars. Together with my colleague Amenopheus, I strive to restore lost secrets of the past for the benefit of the present."

“To this end, I seek the missing sage jewels, each of which contains the memories of the sages who bore that gem before and the lost lore of the ancients. Last year—thanks to the efforts of brave Pathfinder Society agents—we secured a way to track these jewels, and I have since used that beacon to find the missing amethyst sage jewel. The gem lies in Nex’s northern desert, where magical interference has obstructed my attempts to divine the sage jewel's location more accurately. Remote divination can do no more, and the Pathfinder Society has offered its assistance."

“While I can point you in the right direction, you must find the exact location of the gem yourself. To aid you in this task, I will give you a magical crystal that is infused with the beacon’s power. I ask that you explore the area and, most importantly, retrieve the gem. Anything you can learn of what befell Amethyst Sage would also assist my order. Take care while searching the desert, though; while using the beacon, I could feel a strange resonance, as if something was not right with the sage jewel.”

Tahonikepsu looks toward the ceiling as if watching something beyond. [b]“This coincides with the appearance of a strange visitor in our skies, and I must attend to it and confirm its intentions. I wish you fortune in your travels and offer my thanks for your contributions.”

"I've asked someone to come answer your questions who knew The Amethyst Sage personally. Please meet Badru Ibidau, an ally of the Jewelled Sages."

BADRU is a construct with an amethyst soul focus embedded in his chest and a funerary mask for a face. This strange creatures enters the basement and greets you with a low and formal bow. "“I, Badru Ibidau, am a loyal servant of the great Jeweled Sages, and I served the Amethyst Sage as Master of the Archives. I am pleased to answer your questions about my master."

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Looking at the construct Tytus speaks up while preparing to take notes.
"Please tell me about the amethyst sage. About his character. What was his scholaric speciality. Did he have any pet projects. Did he specialise in magic and if yes in wich form. would you have a connection to the amethyst soul gem. What kind of protection was he travelling with. How many years ago exactly did he vanish. Any special occurences during that time?"

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

Seaweed begins to form questions only to realize Tytus has already asked them. "When did you last see the Amaethyst Sage? How have you occupied your time since then?" Hopefully, the Pathfinder clerk can keep from gawking at a constructed archivist in sheer fascination.

Any knowledge checks that will be relevant?

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Kargen considers the lost jewel for a moment. "What powers or secrets does the jewel hold? If someone got their hands on it, what might they do? If someone has found the gem already, then perhaps we'll be able to follow their trail."

Liberty's Edge

Female Gnome Alchemist 8 HP 15/59; AC 23; TCH 16; FF 19; F +9; R +11; W +6; CMB+6; CMD 21; Speed 15FT; Init +2; Bombs 13/13; Alch. F. 10/10; Perception +12

"That all sounds very interesting." Lymwin says and waits for the questions to be answered before asking more questions.


“The Amethyst Sage— his name was Sinuhotep—was a most noble soul and peerless scholar! His quest was one for the greater good—to preserve the secrets of the old. He granted me the honor to become something greater. I dearly hope he has survived to this day.”

“My master studied the acts and accomplishments of the Osirian pharaohs. After the Keleshites invaded Osirion, he focused his research on the immortality rites once used by those great pharaohs. During the years I served him, he made great progress. As you can see, he made me immortal. But his great work was not finished—the ritual still needed more research to be perfect.”

“My master fled three thousand years ago when servants of the Padishah invaded the Sanctum. Logic dictates that he went looking for the missing piece in his puzzle of immortality.”

More than this, Badru cannot tell you.

----------------------------------------
KATAPESH'S SOUTHERN DESERTS
Diplomacy (gather information) or Knowledge (geography or nature)

15+:
Common desert dangers include gnoll raiders, basilisks, jackals, jackalweres, sand eels, and scorpions of all sizes. Because the climate is arid and sand is much more prevalent than dirt or rock, sandstorms are common in the region.

25+:
Travelers also fear creatures commonly known as the scorpionfolk. Half human, half scorpion, they are peerless trackers and hunters, capable of killing caravan guards and porters in the night without anyone noticing until the morning.

30+:
Less well known is that the scorpionfolk—also known as girtablilus—are noble guardians of ancient secrets. They take their role very seriously, and despite their violent reputation, they rarely strike out of malice.

35+:
Some sandstorms occurring in the region are not quite natural. According to legend, these sandstorms are far fiercer than any mundane storm and carry the taint of some evil curse.

------------------------------------------------
Because the destination is unfamiliar to you and the area is strong in magical energy, using teleport to reach the location would be dangerous. Instead, Roderus provides you with everything you need to travel through the desert. If you don't have mounts of your own, you can borrow camels and riding horses from the Winding Road Lodge. You also receive two mules loaded with tents, maps, food, water, dried dung for making fires, and other supplies. Finally, Tahonikepsu gives you a seeker stone—a crystal imbued with the power of the Crystal Beacon beneath the Sanctum of the Sages.

Let me know when you're ready to set off across the desert.

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Gi: 1d20 + 1d6 + 17 ⇒ (18) + (2) + 17 = 37
Doing what he can do best, Tytus gathers informations about the area they are about investigate. After finding his answers he shares his gathered data with his comrades.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Kargen leads one of the mules to where the others are gathered. He wears desert garb like many of the locals. The Hunter peers out at the desert. This was a new place for him. But a Hunter needed to be ready to track in any environment.

The archer nods to the others. "Everyone ready? I doubt this little trek will be easy."

Kargen buys a Hot Weather Outfit.

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

Diplomancy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
I don't already, I'll get a hot weather gear

"I am as ready as can be."


You set off across the desert, following for more than a week the route marked on the maps, crossing the Elemion River and continuing to the southwest for another day. As Tahonikepsu predicted, the seeker stone picks up a signal, softly glowing.

By later that day, however, the wind begins to pick up, sending dust flying in the air, and oppressive clouds gather in the sky. The sun darkens as if a heavy veil had been pulled in front of it; only a gleaming crescent remains visible. The wind grows into a howling gale, and soon after, a massive wall of sand starts rising in the distance and approaching at a high speed!

DC 15 Heal, Knowledge (nature), or Survival check:
Staying out in the open during a sandstorm as fierce as this one is dangerous; wind-propelled sand can cause painful injuries, suffocation, and blindness, and the high winds can also fling heavier objects. The best course of action is to run to higher ground, find shelter, and wait out the storm. Luckily, there are hills nearby that should provide sufficient protection against the storm.

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

Survival: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28
"By the Winds! We are going to have to get to higher ground. That sandstorm is going to be deadly. We need to find shelter before these winds start throwing the biggest objects."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Kargen pulls the scarf from his desert clothing over his nose and mouth. "She's right. Let's head for those hills to seek shelter!" He points to the nearby terrain.


Okay, here's where it gets interesting. We're going to do a chase scene. Only you're not chasing someone. You're being chased... by a weird, unnatural storm. Furthermore, you're going to have to work as a team to overcome each obstacle rather than addressing each hurdle as individuals. After all, leaving one’s comrades, mounts, or supplies behind would jeopardize the mission.

For every obstacle, each PC can attempt a check or use an ability (such as casting a spell). At the end of the turn, we will use the highest check result, and treat any other checks with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action to assist that roll. If a PC uses a spell or ability that seems especially appropriate to the situation, I will grant a bonus to the overall roll.

If you fail to overcome a particular obstacle, you still proceed to the next one, but failures mean the sandstorm is gaining on you.

You cannot Take 10 or Take 20 on these checks.
________________________________________________________________________
THE RISING STORM

A whistling wind and darkening sky herald the arrival of the storm, but do our Heroes notice it before it’s too late?

Predict the Storm: Survival DC 31

or

See it Coming: Perception DC 32

________________________________________________________________________

THE STORM chase scene

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Perc: 1d20 + 1d6 + 22 ⇒ (20) + (4) + 22 = 46 Tytus can see the storm comming! he will also try to drink an heroism extract.

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

"Gozrah's winds are dangerous, but they can also protect us!"

survival: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24


Excellent! One success, No failures so far.

As you begin to struggle towards the safety of the hills, your animals become difficult to handle.

_______________________________________________________________________
MOVE IT!

Startled by the eclipsed sun and rising winds, the PCs' mounts start acting up and attempt to throw off their riders.

Run Like Hell: Intimidate DC 33

or

Keep Calm: Handle Animal DC 26


Tytus: For the purpose of tracking spell (and potion) durations! Each part of the "chase scene" will take approximately 10-20 minutes.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Kargen yells at the mount and whips another on the backside with his bowstave.

At least that's an aid

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

Seaweed lashes at the sand with a blast of wind and creates a (hopefully frightening) dust devil behind the animals.
aid intimidate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12 (wind blast 7/8 remaining)

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Heroism is 80 minutes so .. excellent.
After drinking Tytus is a bit at a loss.
aid int: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Bloodbeak or Lymwin? I'll give you a few more hours.

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

I wonder if I could have calmed the winds in front of us to whip up those behind us.


I've sent PM's to Bloodbeak and Lymwin's players. We'll move on tomorrow, computer willing.

Liberty's Edge

Female Gnome Alchemist 8 HP 15/59; AC 23; TCH 16; FF 19; F +9; R +11; W +6; CMB+6; CMD 21; Speed 15FT; Init +2; Bombs 13/13; Alch. F. 10/10; Perception +12

Lymwin pokes her mount with the tip of a crossbow bolt. "Run, beast!" the small gnome shouts.
Int. aid: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17


That's a 20 plus 3 assists plus 2 for Seaweed's spell, but a 28 does not do it. The storm is gaining on you! That's ONE success and ONE failure!

____________________________________________________________
LOCUSTS

A huge swarm of locusts flees from the approaching storm, massing in front of the PCs and madly attacking anything that crosses their path.

Barge Through: Bull rush CMD 30

or

Kill Them With Fire: Melee attack AC 31

Spells and abilities are also possible.

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Taking a quick action to study his opponent Tytus attacks them with his weapon. Attack+inspo: 1d20 + 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 10 ⇒ (9) + (2) + 4 + 2 + 10 = 27

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

"Blessed winds, help us on our way"

wind blast: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17
counts as bull rush to all in 20 line. ETV on affecting tiny/fine critters :)

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Kargen draws his sickle and tries to carve up the swarm of locusts.

Melee Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

"Your blades might hurt one locust, but we are facing a whole swarm of the little beasts," the cleric cautions.

Even if it were one of the two options, 7th level pathfinders should know better than to attack swarms with weapons. ;)

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Can we aid another

Grand Lodge

Mostly Male! Ini +0 PERC: +9 LN Human Cleric 7: AC: 22 t10 CMD: 14 F: 6, R: 4, W: 12 HP 59

Yes :)

GM Tarondor wrote:

Okay, here's where it gets interesting. We're going to do a chase scene. Only you're not chasing someone. You're being chased... by a weird, unnatural storm. Furthermore, you're going to have to work as a team to overcome each obstacle rather than addressing each hurdle as individuals. After all, leaving one’s comrades, mounts, or supplies behind would jeopardize the mission.

For every obstacle, each PC can attempt a check or use an ability (such as casting a spell). At the end of the turn, we will use the highest check result, and treat any other checks with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action to assist that roll. If a PC uses a spell or ability that seems especially appropriate to the situation, I will grant a bonus to the overall roll.

If you fail to overcome a particular obstacle, you still proceed to the next one, but failures mean the sandstorm is gaining on you.

You cannot Take 10 or Take 20 on these checks.

Liberty's Edge

Female Gnome Alchemist 8 HP 15/59; AC 23; TCH 16; FF 19; F +9; R +11; W +6; CMB+6; CMD 21; Speed 15FT; Init +2; Bombs 13/13; Alch. F. 10/10; Perception +12

Lymwin definitely wants to burn them away :D

When she's surrounded by the swarm of locusts Lymwin takes a bomb and tries to get rid of the bugs around her. I know that bombs are ranged weapons, but hitting a swarm with a weapon sounds odd. I'll roll with the melee modifier.
Melee: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 5/Evangelist 3 | HP 51/51 | AC:21 / T:11 / FF:20 / F: +6 / R: +3 / W: +10 | CMB +7 | CMD 17 | Speed 30 | Init: +0 | Perc: +18 |

.


Area effects are definitely effective. Between the bomb, the wind and the melee attacks, you win through the locusts. That's TWO successes and ONE failure.

_____________________________________________

Higher Ground

A precarious path up a hillside offers a chance to duck out of the sandstorm's way.

Faster. Faster!: Ride DC 31

or

This Way: Knowledge (geography) DC 26

Silver Crusade

male Tiefling (Daemon Spawn)
Stats:
hp 75/75 AC 22|T 13 |FF 20, F +8|R +11 W +8, Init +2, Per +22+1d6 (+4Traps)
Investigator (Empyrist) 10

Tytus looks around and points east.Knowgeo: 1d20 + 1d6 + 14 ⇒ (20) + (4) + 14 = 38

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Inquisitor of Erastil 8 [hp 54/54; F+8, R+8, W+9 (+2 vs. charms); AC 22/15/17; Init +7, Perception +13, Sense Motive +15]

Badass Tytus leading the way on skill checks

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 5/Evangelist 3 | HP 51/51 | AC:21 / T:11 / FF:20 / F: +6 / R: +3 / W: +10 | CMB +7 | CMD 17 | Speed 30 | Init: +0 | Perc: +18 |

thats good though. If we ace everything and there are no healing required from me in anyway i wont be complaining at all

his high skill check was also very good because i do not have knowledge Geography at all

1 to 50 of 482 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PBP GameDay V] GM Tarondor's PFS Scenario 7-11: Ancient's Anguish [Tier 7-8] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.