Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread

Game Master nightflier

Set in the grim world of Aryth, Nightflier's Midnight is a game that speaks of almost futile hope that shines against the darkness.


5,651 to 5,700 of 6,403 << first < prev | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | next > last >>

Nightflier, what can Duncan see, how many children are there, and is the party completely surrounded? What do the children look like, and can it be determined what race did they once belong to? Were they elves, human or something else. And what can Ducan conclude about their nature? If he can't determine anything he will ask Solvistania
"Lady Solvistania, is there something we should know before we start killing this damned children? What are they? Fell? Spirits? Both?"


Solvistania nods silently at Duncan, knowing the best weapon to use here was knowledge. She turns her gaze at the spirits and consults her memory of such creatures.

Knowledge (Spirits) 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27


Male Dorn Barbarian/Lv1, Wildlander/Lv1, Fighter/Lv3

Shaking himself free of the despairing thoughts, Darren turned his attention to the figures surrounding the group. Readying himself to spring at the first one to move into the ring of light.

Darren will hold his action to charge the first one he notices entering the circle. Unless told to do otherwise.

Dark Archive

Duncan Bloodforged wrote:

Nightflier, what can Duncan see, how many children are there, and is the party completely surrounded? What do the children look like, and can it be determined what race did they once belong to? Were they elves, human or something else. And what can Ducan conclude about their nature? If he can't determine anything he will ask Solvistania

"Lady Solvistania, is there something we should know before we start killing this damned children? What are they? Fell? Spirits? Both?"

You can't see how many of them are there. You can't even see them clearly. They seem cloaked in twisting shadows that constantly change their shape.

Dark Archive

Solvistania Elghreah wrote:

Solvistania nods silently at Duncan, knowing the best weapon to use here was knowledge. She turns her gaze at the spirits and consults her memory of such creatures.

Knowledge (Spirits) 1d20+13

Solvistania:
Those creatures are somewhere between undead and fay. They are spirits of babies and unborn children who died from plagues or various other diseases. Their shapes tend to change and combine animal traits, such as wings, with basic human form. They are always made of human children, but they sometimes serve as thrals to witches and hags. Beyond that, you know very little of them. They are rare in elven lands.

Solvistania glances at Duncan, an uncertian look in her eyes, "I know little of these spirits. The conditions leading to their creation are rare in Erethor. Ward yourself from their touch as best you can!"


Raven Spiritual Channeler 5

"How 'bout we just kill 'em enough to make 'em stay that way this time?"


Nodding, Duncan decides this children are abominations of what a child should be, and thinking of their son he assumes his fighting stance for stronger blows, and strikes at the nearest three children.
Duncan assumes giant's stance and using whirlwind strike attacks three of the children if they are sufficiently close to each other. If not, he holds of his attack until they are.

Whirlwind Strike Power Attack1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33

Crit confirmation1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Critical 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Power Attack1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

Power Attack1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20


Solvistania stares at the fey spirits, and briefly wonders whether these spirits were being directed by another entity. No matter, she slips into a defensive stance and calls forth a protective spell, useful against incorporeal spirits.

Cast Shield on herself, +4 shield bonus to AC, total is 20.
Duration 5 minutes.
Spell points 25/27.


Raven Spiritual Channeler 5

"Hey kids, knock it off wouldja?"

Halt Undead DC 24 will save (no save if they're mindless), 3 targets, the ones farthest back from the melee folks.

11/14 SP


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Positioning herself in reach of every one, in case someone is injured, Gilian casts mage armor on herself

Dark Archive

Ilona's next...


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona holds her sword ready, waiting to see the effects of the attacks on the darkness or face any encroachment.

Readied action to attack if any of the shadow creatures advance or attack the party.

Dark Archive

Suddenly, almost as one, shadowy child-like figures swarm you. It seems like there are dozens of them. As soon as they enter the circle of light, they become almost insubstantial. Most of them look like starved five-year old children, but with mangy dog-like heads and tattered wings. Flying at you, they are stretching their hands, almost as if they are cold and they seek your warmth.

Duncan steps up to meet them and his sword passes through their immaterial bodies, leaving wisps of shadow-staff trailing behind the blade. The first spirit shudders as almost all of the shadowy stuff that makes his body leaves his frame. It becomes almost insubstantial and only his outstretched hand remains tangible.

The second and third drekavac show the injuries as well, but all three regain some of their body integrity as tiny shadow motes flit into them from the surrounding forest.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d6 ⇒ 6

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d6 ⇒ 4

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d6 ⇒ 1

More of them fly from outside the light and hurl themselves at the living. Three of them seem to stop in mid-flight...

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

...but two continue to attack Sky...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 191d6 ⇒ 3

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d6 ⇒ 3

...while one halts like a fly trapped in amber.

At the same time, six more fly out of the murk and attack Darren...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d6 ⇒ 3

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d6 ⇒ 2

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 101d6 ⇒ 3

...and Solvistania...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d6 ⇒ 4

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d6 ⇒ 1

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d6 ⇒ 2

Dark Archive

Your turn.


Male Dorn Barbarian/Lv1, Wildlander/Lv1, Fighter/Lv3

Before he could even take a step the ghostly figures of children had surged forward to crowd around Darren assaulting him with their warmth leeching grasp. With powerful movement the Dorn swung his blade in a circle hoping to catch them all.

Cleaving, power attack1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Damage2d8 + 14 ⇒ (3, 3) + 14 = 20

Cleaving, power attack1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Damage2d8 + 14 ⇒ (3, 3) + 14 = 20

Cleaving, power attack1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Damage2d8 + 14 ⇒ (8, 5) + 14 = 27


Solvistania gasps in pain as one of the spirits was able to penetrate her arcane defenses. Fortunately it was only a glancing blow. Her eyes glow an eerie shade of red, as she summons her warmagic and lets fly her magic at the spirits assailing her!

AC 20; Current HP 29/30; SP: 24/27
Cast Magic Missile targeting each spirit assailing her.
Missile #1 damage 1d4 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 5 = 9 warmage
Missile #2 damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Missile #3 damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Concentration DC 16 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


Raven Spiritual Channeler 5

Flapping into the air to get clear of the mess, Muni squawked in alarm.

"Hey! What part of knock it off don't you understand. You! Make them stop attacking us!"

Command Undead, DC 23 if they have minds. (no save if mindless)

SP 9/14

Dark Archive

Muni, Keeper of Memories wrote:

Flapping into the air to get clear of the mess, Muni squawked in alarm.

"Hey! What part of knock it off don't you understand. You! Make them stop attacking us!"

Command Undead, DC 23 if they have minds. (no save if mindless)

SP 9/14

That would be your action for the next round. We are waiting on Ilona.

Dark Archive

Darren of House Redgard wrote:

Before he could even take a step the ghostly figures of children had surged forward to crowd around Darren assaulting him with their warmth leeching grasp. With powerful movement the Dorn swung his blade in a circle hoping to catch them all.

Cleaving, power attack1d20+10
Damage2d8+14

Cleaving, power attack1d20+10
Damage2d8+14

Cleaving, power attack1d20+10
Damage2d8+14

Darren, you are using the wrong Cleave. You haven't updated your character to new rules.


Since I'm the first one in initiative, here are the second round attacks from me

Feeling the cold touch of the spirit-children on his armor, Duncan doesn't stop, he continues his swing, turning on his heel to strike the same children again.

Whirlwind power attack 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

Whirlwind power attack 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

Whirlwind power attack 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Damage 1d10 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona slashes one of the creatures attacking Solvistania, a wave of euphoria emanating from Requiem at the thrill of battle.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
1d12 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Dark Archive

Next round.

Dark Archive

Muni, Keeper of Memories wrote:

Flapping into the air to get clear of the mess, Muni squawked in alarm.

"Hey! What part of knock it off don't you understand. You! Make them stop attacking us!"

Command Undead, DC 23 if they have minds. (no save if mindless)

SP 9/14

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Your spell flows over the drekavac, subduing him to your will...

Dark Archive

Duncan Bloodforged wrote:

Since I'm the first one in initiative, here are the second round attacks from me

Feeling the cold touch of the spirit-children on his armor, Duncan doesn't stop, he continues his swing, turning on his heel to strike the same children again.

Whirlwind power attack 1d20+13
Damage 1d10+12

Whirlwind power attack 1d20+13
Damage 1d10+12

Whirlwind power attack 1d20+13
Damage 1d10+12

Duncan's whirling strikes disperse the drekavci attacking him, making them disappear in the small clouds of shadow-wisps.

Dark Archive

Solvistania Elghreah wrote:

Solvistania gasps in pain as one of the spirits was able to penetrate her arcane defenses. Fortunately it was only a glancing blow. Her eyes glow an eerie shade of red, as she summons her warmagic and lets fly her magic at the spirits assailing her!

AC 20; Current HP 29/30; SP: 24/27
Cast Magic Missile targeting each spirit assailing her.
Missile #1 damage 1d4+1+5 warmage
Missile #2 damage 1d4+1
Missile #3 damage 1d4+1
Concentration DC 16 1d20+10

Solvi's magic seems not to hurt undead that much. Only the first one seems to be affected much.

Dark Archive

Sky, you may act this round. We are waiting on Gilian right now.


Here's a proxy for Gilian. Did anybody else save Solvi take any damage? I see that she took only one point of damage, so if there is nobody else I'm guessing Gilian would have a readied action to heal anybody who gets more hurt in the following round, or if nobody gets hurt heal one point of damage from Solvie


Male Erunsil (Snow Elf) Fighter 5

If Sky was able to defend normally the two attacks missed. If considered Flat footed both hit.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 Will Save (+2 if vs. Fear).

Dark Archive

Sky'tor Tu'kaleth wrote:

If Sky was able to defend normally the two attacks missed. If considered Flat footed both hit.

1d20+3 Will Save (+2 if vs. Fear).

No need for new save.

Dark Archive

Darren's first strike misses, but the other two hit. The undead dog-headed children yelp, but still reach out to him, drawn by his warmth.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d6 ⇒ 5

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d6 ⇒ 4

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 121d6 ⇒ 2

One drekavac continues to attack Sky, who seems to be aware now what is happening...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 121d6 ⇒ 2

...and those who were attacking Solvi are now drawn to Ilona's warmth...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d6 ⇒ 3

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 81d6 ⇒ 6

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d6 ⇒ 1

Dark Archive

Sky, it's your turn.


Male Erunsil (Snow Elf) Fighter 5
nightflier wrote:
Sky, it's your turn.

Your post near the top of the page stated that I had no actions on round 1 and had to make a save then next round again, which I considered my action for this round.

Dark Archive

Sky'tor Tu'kaleth wrote:
nightflier wrote:
Sky, it's your turn.
Your post near the top of the page stated that I had no actions on round 1 and had to make a save then next round again, which I considered my action for this round.

Sorry, my fever is making me forget things.

Dark Archive

I'm calling the next round. Take your actions, guys.


This is for the previous round

Seeing Ilona getting hurt by two of the drekavci, Gilian presses her against Ilona's back and closes her wounds.

Heal from the bones 4hp

Dark Archive

Duncan, your turn.


Watching his attackers disperse in wisps of mist behind his blade, Duncan turns his attention towards Ilona, and taking a few steps towards her, he swings his blade at the one she already slashed with Requiem.

Duncan moves towards Ilona, I think it is more than 5 feet away, but not more than 10ft, assumes Giant's stance as a swift actin and power attack the already hurt drekavac, cleaving if he kills it.

Power attack1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
Damage 1d12 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Cleave

Power attack1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28
Damage 1d12 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16


Raven Spiritual Channeler 5

"You, help him! Make 'em stop already!"

second verse same as the first. Control Undead on a second target.


Solvistania's eyes flash crimson as she calls on her war magic to target another of the drekavaks assaulting Ilona.

AC 20; Current HP 29/30; SP 23/27
Cast Magic Missile at the spirit, preferably an unwounded one.
Damage 3d4 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (2, 4, 3) + 3 + 5 = 17


Felina crouches next to her mistress, ready to intercept any of the drekavaks moving towards her.

Ready action to strike a spirit that moves to attack Solvistania.
Attack Claw 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage 1d2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

As her companions rush to her aid Ilona can feel the healing of Gillian spreading through her body and the thrill of battle embraces her, unexpected laughter rising in her throut, accompanied in her head by a booming chuckle.

She swings striking the creature Duncan almost decimated.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
1d12 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Dark Archive

Duncan Bloodforged wrote:

Watching his attackers disperse in wisps of mist behind his blade, Duncan turns his attention towards Ilona, and taking a few steps towards her, he swings his blade at the one she already slashed with Requiem.

Duncan moves towards Ilona, I think it is more than 5 feet away, but not more than 10ft, assumes Giant's stance as a swift actin and power attack the already hurt drekavac, cleaving if he kills it.

Power attack1d20+13
Damage 1d12+12

Cleave

Power attack1d20+13
Damage 1d12+12

Duncan's blade almost cleaves the thing in half, but the undead spirit manages to cling to his unlife.

Dark Archive

Muni, Keeper of Memories wrote:

"You, help him! Make 'em stop already!"

second verse same as the first. Control Undead on a second target.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Muni's spell washes over the drekavac, but the creatures just shivers and continues to fly around Ilona.

Dark Archive

Solvistania Elghreah wrote:

Solvistania's eyes flash crimson as she calls on her war magic to target another of the drekavaks assaulting Ilona.

AC 20; Current HP 29/30; SP 23/27
Cast Magic Missile at the spirit, preferably an unwounded one.
Damage 3d4+3+5

Solvi's missile slams into drekavac, making it hiss in pain.

Dark Archive

Ilona Ebonblade wrote:

As her companions rush to her aid Ilona can feel the healing of Gillian spreading through her body and the thrill of battle embraces her, unexpected laughter rising in her throut, accompanied in her head by a booming chuckle.

She swings striking the creature Duncan almost decimated.

1d20+12
1d12+7

Ilona's blade passes through the already wounded drekavac, but his injuries are so grave that her blade passes through empty space, where the shadows have left his body.

Dark Archive

Remaining drekavci suddenly stop and wail as in terrible pain. In an instant, they disappear in the puffs of shadowy smoke, including those trapped by Muni's spells.

Perception DC 10:
A mad cackle sounds in the shadows beyond the circle of light.


Solvistania hears the mad cackle and seeing the remaining drekavci flee, guesses they are working under the instructions of another.

"Ware more attacks my brethren, the spirits are controlled by another!"


Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Duncan just nods. "There has to be a more powerful spirit or something like it here that had them as it's slaves. Maybe that old women the scarecrow warned us against. Anyway, everybody stay close, I don't think that scouting in this strange realm would help us much, for I daresay it would only make the scout an easy target."


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Gilian looks round, wary of more spirits coming back, before turning to assess the damage they did to her companions.

"Ok, tell me who's injured, so that I can heal you. Then let's regroup and move forwards before another attack occurs."

5,651 to 5,700 of 6,403 << first < prev | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.