Mummy's Mask

Game Master Samy

GM Samy's Mummy's Mask Campaign --- Day 26 --- Google Drive Folder --- Experience --- Treasure --- Relationships --- Maps (Empty Graves)
Panic Level: 13

Party Inits:
[dice=Initiative Aleris]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Deseri]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Harmose]1d20+11[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Kito]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Polux]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Qari]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Ra-Khefer]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Turel]1d20+2[/dice]

[dice=Perception Aleris]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Perception Deseri]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Perception Harmose]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Perception Kito]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Perception Polux]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Perception Qari]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Perception Ra-Khefer]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Perception Turel]1d20+9[/dice]


901 to 950 of 5,004 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

Inactive

"I'm not sure what you feed these bugs here in Osirion, but the ones back home never got that big," Aleris shudders after Qari's icy blast freezes the remaining beetle. "I hope that's the last of them."

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Oh, and it occurs to me that Deseri also knows that these are a stronger variant of the fire beetle, called mining beetle (colloquially, it is obviously not their scientific name).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

"Well done indeed, I must say" - Polux nods in appreciation of his companions laying waste on the beetles, then turning to look at the creatures with some added attention - "They don't seem to possess any particular uncanny ability, apart from their size of course" - and seems to be pondering if any part would be worth retrieving.

He is shook away from the notion by Harmose's words - "It will be my pleasure" - and heads to the next door over, stopping just short of it.

As Kito casts and stands there just next to him, he looks at her with curiosity - "Thank you for the spell - I am sure it will be of help. Are you interested in such matters as... Hmm... Breaking and entering" - he questions in good mood, going to work on the door slowly and methodically, taking his time not only for their own safety, but also to allow Kito full view of his actions.

Perception take 20: 20 + 5 = 25
DD if needed, again taking 20 if possible: 20 + 8 = 28

I promise the 'Take 20' will go away once I hit level 2 :P


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

The desert is a harsh and dangerous place where only the strong survive. Fire Beetles get big because they are strong, though that one was a bit studier than others that I have seen. Tombs and caves tend to attract settlers and they are not always humanoid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor
Polux wrote:
As Kito casts and stands there just next to him, he looks at her with curiosity - "Thank you for the spell - I am sure it will be of help. Are you interested in such matters as... Hmm... Breaking and entering" - he questions in good mood, going to work on the door slowly and methodically, taking his time not only for their own safety, but also to allow Kito full view of his actions.

Blushing slightly, Kito quietly replies "It is a puzzle, how to work around a lock or circumvent a trap -- especially a magical one -- is quite a challenge. The theory fascinates me." Her words are hesitant, but her eyes are focused on what you do.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Nothing wrong with Take 20, it exists for a reason for non-combat actions that can be repeated over and over again until success.

Take 20 Perception takes a minute, Take 20 Disable Device takes two minutes, so after a total of three minutes fiddling with the door from A12 to A15, Polux clicks the lock and the door is now openable whenever you choose to.

Beyond the double doors, there's a set of stairs 10' wide going down, ending in another set of double doors that are trivial to open. Beyond those double doors, there's more stairs down, and yet another (third) set of double doors. Those, also, are trivial to open. Only the first double doors were locked. Upon opening the third and final double doors, you see a large chamber:

---A15---
The center of this large octagonal room is a raised square platform a few inches above the floor, with a stone pillar at each corner. A gold-trimmed sarcophagus sits in the center of the platform, flanked by two statues of humanoid beings with canine heads, each of which holds an ankh in one of its crossed arms. Stone double doors exit the room to the north and south.
---A15---

Please describe your actions and positioning with exceptional clarity and precision this time (preferably down to the exact squares you start from, pass through and end up in). Certain things depend on them. ;)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

Slowly, reluctantly, Ra stepped forward down the stairs through the sets of doors and into the chamber. The left hand squares.
He will walk forward (until right about the 'A'), then sink to his knees in reverence.
"I pray to thee, please forgive this dishonor my lord. We are present on the orders of pharaoh." He prayed aloud.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Just to be sure I'm clear, "right about" means that you enter the square with the 'A'? Or you stop short of it, on the square before it (on the stairs)?


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

While Polux is fiddling with the door Deseri is poking the figments floating around her. Assuming we can see into the room, if we cannot ignore the next part

Without entering and planning to stay in the back Deseri mumbles, This seems like it will end badly. We are leaving the sarcophagus alone, right? So in the stairwell after the others have entered


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

Polux slowly wades in, taking in the area around them.

Will step across the double doors (the right one), and stop in the first square immediately after.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Deseri wrote:
This seems like it will end badly. We are leaving the sarcophagus alone, right? So in the stairwell after the others have entered

"Come on Deseri, we just can't" - Polux looks over his shoulder with a wink at his companion.


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Having some map issues, so I'll say I followed the oread's steps. I'll stop 5' behind whichever square he finally stops in.

The tiefling's tail twitched as she watched the oread prostrate himself yet again. Its going to take a long time to get through this place if he does that every time, she thinks with a smirk. "But, the most interesting items might be in the sarcophagus, you know. I think we need to catalogue and investigate everything."

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Okay, I'm going to make a judgment call here and say that Ra-Khefer does the kneeling on the raised area at the top of the stairs, because kneeling is a little difficult on stairs. If this was a misinterpretation of what Ra-Khefer meant, my apologies, but we'll run with it regardless.

I'm rushing this a little bit instead of waiting for everyone to get a pose in, because what happens is meant to come off as sudden as soon as someone steps on the pedestal and...you guessed it --

CLICK

And hell breaks loose.

Since both Polux and Qari (who are behind Turel in marching order) have already posed entering the room, I think it is reasonable to judge that Turel has entered the room as well. So the four of them are solidly inside. The next up, I judge that in the squares immediately outside the room, the first squares of the hallway, as per marching order, are Harmose and Kito, and Deseri and Aleris in the second squares of the hallway. (I have updated the map with what I judge is everyone's likely position, except Turel is a little unclear, and he may specify more precisely where inside the room he is.)

This is all relevant because the double doors closest to the large chamber (the northernmost double doors) slam closed suddenly and violently, and those who are in the four squares adjacent to the double doors have an opportunity to jump to either side. This means the following opportunities:

Harmose, Kito: you may choose to try to jump from the hallway into the chamber as the doors are closing.

Polux (and maybe Turel): you may choose to jump from the chamber back into the hallway as the doors are closing.

Successfully jumping either way requires a Reflex DC 15. Failure means staying in your original square and falling prone.

Deseri and Aleris have no chance to move from the hallway to the chamber, and Ra-Khefer and Qari have no chance to move from the chamber back to the hallway.

***

At the same time as the double doors slam closed, bolts of electricity start arcing between the four pillars at the corners of the pedestal (the four dark round things on the map), striking anyone standing on the platform (meaning just Ra-Khefer, unless Turel has gone up as well).

Those on the platform (Ra-Khefer plus possibly Turel) take 2d6 electricity damage, Reflex DC 15 for half damage.

Electricity Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2 Oh, lucky bastards!

Everyone should also roll initiative.

Initiative for Seekrit Enemy Thingee: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12

Those who beat that initiative may take one action before THE SARCOPHAGUS MOVES! Yes, it shudders a few times, then levitates into a standing upright position. Its lid begins to snap open and shut, like a snapping maw, and it makes a bite attack against Ra-Khefer.

Sarcophagus Bite vs Ra-Khefer: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Which I believe is a miss, regardless of whether Ra-Khefer is flatfooted or not

If Ra-Khefer's initiative was higher than the sarcophagus' (and thus he is not flatfooted during the sarcophagus' turn), he may also make an attack of opportunity as the sarcophagus 'stands up'.

Trained Knowledge (arcana) may give information as to the sarcophagus' strengths and/or weaknesses.

Finally, Polux:
Polux rolled an amazing Perception, and he gets something for it. Now, I'm not sure if this is working as intended, but Perception rules state that DC goes up by +1 per 10 feet, and since the secret doors with DC 20 are about 20-30 feet from Polux, that means their DC should be 22-23, and thus Polux's 25 should spot them if I'm doing this right. Polux spots one secret door in the middle of the eastern wall, and another secret door in the middle of the western wall.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Seeing the doors closing with friends inside, Kito immediately attempts to jump in. Perhaps if there were time to think about it, she would have chosen differently but with no time to do anything but react she impulsively jumps towards danger.

Reflex: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Oops, didn't read well enough initially. Save is the same though so I just changed the label.

Unfortunately, the doors are quicker than her. She collides with them and falls with a dull thud!

"Ouch!"


Female Thrush

Thera gives a surprised "Churrr!" and tightens her grip as her mistresses suddenly leaps.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Harmose knows that it would be smarter to stay on the safe side of the doors, with Deseri and Kito and Aleris. He's no good in melee, no good with skill checks, no good with anything except a little magical expertise and a lot of charm.

If only he could bluff the door, he'd be all set. Door, don't you think it's time to open yourself to new experiences?

He really should stay back. What good will he do? But these are his people, and hell if he's going to let Turel, Polux, Qari and Ra-Khefer face whatever it is alone.

Reflex DC15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

He leaps through the closing doors, barely clearing them as they close.

Initiative: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
I beat the 'seekrit enemie thingie'. Barely.

Did you say 'levitate?" As in "off the ground?" Because if it simply stood up, I'm going to grease the hell out of it. If it's flying, I have no idea what I'll do.


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

Yes, I stopped on the square with the 'A'.

Ra is startled by the SLAM of the doors and was caught by the electrical arcs as he stood again.
Ref save DC15: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7 Fail. He is lightly zapped.

Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

When the Sarcophagus elevated and snapped at Ra, even flatfooted, the teeth scrape along his armor without penetrating.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1
Harmose Al-Nefer wrote:
Did you say 'levitate?" As in "off the ground?" Because if it simply stood up, I'm going to grease the hell out of it. If it's flying, I have no idea what I'll do.

It was just descriptive fluff (because it doesn't have moving limbs or anything that it visibly uses to push itself up). Mechanically, it has a ground speed, not a fly speed, and thus it should be contacting the ground and thus, hopefully, susceptible to Grease.

Those who beat the sarcophagus' initiative may make one action before they are aware of it moving. You may not take advantage of knowing the sarcophagus moves before it actually takes its initiative.

Additionally, everyone may now post actions between the sarcophagus' first action and its next turn. For those who beat the sarcophagus' initiative, that means you can post two actions, one before you know it will move, and a second after it moves.

I sound unclear even to myself. Everyone may post one action after the sarcophagus moves. Additionally, those who beat its initiative may post an action *before* they are aware of it, for a total of two.

And by an action I meant a full round.


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

Polux notices the closing doors, but his decision is made in a split second, and he definitely will not leave Ra-Khefer and Qari inside alone.

If anything, he takes a step forward and to the right, staying on higher ground.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13<- Bad monster initiative beat :D

With swift movements, he downs a potion from his bandoleer - almost immediately a glimmering force shield coalesces in front of him, offering him added protection - "Step back Master Khefer, there may be additional lightning!"

Shield extract consumed - that should be ok with the doors slamming shut all around us, even if the sarcophagus is not animated?

After imbibing the protective concoction, the aasimar simply discards the flask, re-gripping his longspear with both hands, and thrusts forward at the monstrous sarcophagus, as his eyes open wide in disbelief.

From my position I should be able to attack it? Are my actions correct?


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

I know I'm asking a dumb question, but where is the map link located? I can't find it.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

The center pedestal where the sarcophagus is, is higher ground than the surrounding ground (sorry for not having stated that), so I think it will take an extra square of distance to attack the sarcophagus from a different altitude. I think Polux's best bet at getting to attack the sarcophagus is circling the pedestal around the right, to get to the square to the right of the sarcophagus (which is temporarily represented by a beetle token until I find a good sarcophagus image). I think you should still be able to move and attack in your second round just the same. And the first round action to consume the extract is certainly justified.

Not a dumb question at all, Qari. map link


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

It's not until the doors slam that Harmose lands in the room, and gets a good look at the rising sarcophagus. Fortunately, he's an Osirian noble. Generations of his forebears have built nasty constructs just like this.

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

He greases the center of the room containing the monstrous sarcophagus, hoping to cause it to fall.

Grease, DC 16

__________________________
For my next action I will a) share what I learn and b) hit it with an acid splash, should I learn that acid splash will be effective. If it has hardness, I'll have to think of something else.

If I think acid splash will work:

Acid Splash: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 13 In case there is something I can do while trapped in the hall.

Kito quickly gets back on her feet and looks around. "Anyone see a way to reopen these doors?"

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 1 Yup, she really did need to ask...

Move action to stand, move action for perception

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Harmose beats the DC to identify the opponent by 10, giving him a total of three bits of useful information (1 base + 1 per each 5 over DC).

Harmose identifies the opponent as an Animated Object, an mundane object animated through magical means.

1) It has hardness 5 (subtracts 5 from all incoming damage, both physical and energy, bypassed by adamantine weapons)
2) It is vulnerable to cold
3) It has a grab special attack

Sarcophagus Reflex vs Grease: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The sarcophagus FALLS DOWN! It makes a big CLANGGG, as you might expect from a huge chunk of metal big enough to contain a person.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Harmose bravely cowers behind the pilllar. "My paranoid ancestors built constructs like these. They're hard, so you need to hit as hard as you guys can. I can't do anything to it. Qari, if you can get past the hardness, it's vulnerable to COLD. Guys, watch out! It grabs people. Maybe it'll even try to stuff you inside!"


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

"If I can hit it, then those gods might just be looking out for us after all!". Qari moves five foot closer so hat she can get a better shot off at the strange construct.

RTA within 30' 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 1 - 4 = 17

Damage with PBS 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 = 8

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

The interaction of vulnerability and hardness has never been properly clarified in RAW. My choice is that vulnerability ignores hardness, so that the thing actually has no hardness versus cold.

Qari takes a five foot step closer to the sarcophagus, which puts her up on the pedestal beside Ra-Khefer.

Qari's cold blast hits and gives out solid wintry crackles and the creaking of thick metal as it deforms from the sudden temperature transitions.

Sarcophagus (12 dmg, prone)

Outside, in the hallway, Kito sees no way to open the double doors...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Inactive

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Aleris yells with surprise and then horror as the doors to the chamber ahead suddenly slam shut, trapping the majority of her companions inside. From the other side of the doors she can hear a variety of sounds; battle cries, the crack of electricity and an ungodly CLANGGG that sounds like metal striking stone.

"NO! Harmose! Turel!" she cries as she instinctively grabs at the doors, trying to pry them back open.

Str: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 Okay, whether that has any effect or not, that's still awesome. Aleris just hulked out!

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Sadly, the doors are far too heavy for even that to budge them. It would have been a cool moment. ;)


Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Wow, lotsa action here! Turel would have entered the room and moved off to the side of the room. I have updated his position on the map.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 Heh...Tied.

As Turel hears the doors slam behind him and the electrical arcs flying through the stone tomb, he prepares for the worst though he does spare time to remark laconically, "Perhaps the Pharaoh is offended by your posture?"

Once the Sarcophagus has animated and moved to attack, he is relieved to see while Harmose is trapped in here, both Aleris and Deseri were not. He nods silently to Harmose's words and realizes Qari is the only one who can hurt the sarcophagus...

and she was FAR too close...

"Qari! Get BACK! I shall keep it from reaching you!"

Gripping his spear tightly he moves around Polux and off to the side of Qari and tries to stab at the construct, more to distract it than to hurt it.

Move: Move onto stairway. Map position updated.
Attack: Aid Another, Qari AC: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 success. If he cannot reach the sarcophagus then he will ready the action instead.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

I'm going to say that Turel can reach the sarcophagus from his current position on the stairs. The stairs are kind of half and half whether they're on the higher pedestal level (not requiring an extra square of each) or on the lower floor level (requiring an extra square of reach). I'm feeling generous so I'll let it be the more favorable one to the PCs, thus Turel grants Qari +2 AC.

Ra-Khefer, Deseri and Polux still have a turn before the sarcophagus' next turn.


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6
Samy wrote:
The center pedestal where the sarcophagus is, is higher ground than the surrounding ground (sorry for not having stated that), so I think it will take an extra square of distance to attack the sarcophagus from a different altitude. I think Polux's best bet at getting to attack the sarcophagus is circling the pedestal around the right, to get to the square to the right of the sarcophagus (which is temporarily represented by a beetle token until I find a good sarcophagus image). I think you should still be able to move and attack in your second round just the same. And the first round action to consume the extract is certainly justified.

In that case, Polux does go around the right side.

With a swift movement, Polux circles around the right side to get a stab in at the creature - "Cold..." - he ponders, his mind racing at the available options, and finding none but thrusting with his weapon.

Longspear: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage if it hits: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Geeeez, whenever I roll, it's been saaaaad...

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Alas, even with -4 AC for being prone, Polux's attack does not manage to damage the thick metal sarcophagus.

I will move on to the next round. Deseri and Ra-Khefer may retroactively include their actions at the same time as their next round actions.

ROUND 1 SUMMARY

Sarcophagus attacks Ra-Khefer and misses.
Harmose Greases sarcophagus which falls prone.
Qari does 12 dmg to sarcophagus.
Turel provides Qari +2 AC.
Polux attacks sarcophagus but misses.
Ra-Khefer ?
Kito, Aleris and Deseri are trapped in the hallway.

ROUND 2

Well, you know, it's not enough that your party is split, you get zapped by an electricity trap, and you have to fight an enemy with hardness. You thought that was all Jim Groves was going to throw at you? No, there's more. When you look at the map, you see that on the northern wall, opposite to where you entered the big chamber? There's a pair of double doors. They open, and KOOSH, water starts flooding in at a rapid pace. Just so this isn't too easy.

This round, the water is six inches deep at the floor level. However, it is still shallow enough that it does not have any game mechanical effects yet.

The electrical arcs zap again, once more hitting everyone on top of the pedestal, which this round means Ra-Khefer, Qari and the sarcophagus.

Electric Arc Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4 Reflex DC 15 half

Sarcophagus Reflex: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 Hardness negates dmg

The sarcophagus stands up, provoking attacks of opportunity from Turel, Polux and Ra-Khefer. You may include your AoOs together with your normal actions.

The sarcophagus then takes a five foot step in the only direction that is not blocked by either PCs or Grease, moving a square northeast, which causes it to drop down from the pedestal, crashing down to floor level with a loud THOOM, and a spray of water coating Polux. It then tries to bite the only PC in range, Polux.

Sarcophagus Bite vs Polux: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 Unless I'm mistaken, this misses because of Shield, thus providing instant payoff for the choice to cast it.

Everyone's turn.


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Reflex 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Qari blasts away yet again, taking advantage of her higher ground to do so. Assuming I'm on higher ground, I think I get a +1 to attack. If I am wrong, please take one away from my roll.

RTA with PBS, higher ground 1d20 - 4 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (12) - 4 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 12

Damage 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 = 8

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

Round 1 (retro)_____
Realizing the threat, Ra lashed out at the sarcophagus.
greathammer attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 for a possible 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 crushing damage.
Then to get out of the elecrical attacks, move SouthEast 5' down the stairs, then East 5', then East 5', then North 5'.

Round 2_____
Ra moved up to the sarcophagus and attacked.
greathammer attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 for a possible 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 crushing damage.
...Crit confirm?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 nope.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Spear AoO: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17; damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Turel thrusts hard at the sarcophagus as it drops away from him. While he feels the solid contact, the off balance nature of his blow prevents him from putting the full force behind his blow.

As he notices the water start to fill the chamber, he grimaces. "This will soon be a problem, unless we can grow gills in the next few moments." Still, he did know while the sarcophagus remained active, the chances of finding the means to disarm the trap were slim at best.

Hustling around the pedestal he glides through the puddles of water forming on the floor and strikes again at the sarcophagus. Unfortunately, he slips on a slippery portion of the stone floor causing his blow to go clanging uselessly against the metal lid of the sarcophagus.

Move: Move to spot indicated on the map.
Attack: MW Spear: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6; damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

"I am sure you know of a way to escape this trap, Polux." He remarks wryly.

Should we survive this, I will certainly be grading them on how they respond here.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Ra-Khefer's round 1 attack misses. His round 2 attack hits, but fails to get through the sarcophagus' hardness. Turel suffers from similar straits in reverse order; his AoO hits but doesn't get through hardness and his main attack misses.

While the meleers are having some trouble, however, Qari continues her very effective cryonic bombardment from high ground, getting in a second perfect hit for the full 8 points of damage, adjusted by vulnerability to 12, and then hardnessed down to 7 damage. Qari has now in her two first attacks dealt 2*7=14 damage to the sarcophagus.

I retroactively changed my earlier decision about hardness being negated. If you're going to bust my butt for being spineless, do it in the discussion thread. ;)


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

Entirely up to your discursion but at Poluxs statement Deseri would have rushed after him but for continuity Deseri could still be trapped with Aleris. Work was long and my phone sucks.

At Polux's comment Deseri goes still and her eyes widen with fear. Then Qari agrees with Polux. Her voice is much louder than it has been since entering the tomb, almost shrill with fear, The dead do not like to be disturbed!

Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17Fear shall motive! Sadly work slowed me down. Oh well.

The door slam shut and Deseri stares at Aleris's panicked attack on the door with wide fearful eyes. תנו לי לראות את חייהם!
[spoiler=Celestial]Let me see their lives![/b]

Spell Deathwatch So the spell says on creatures already perceived so I am hoping since I saw the room and I know who is in there maybe this will count.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Did the Sarcophagus make its acrobatics DC 10 with half move to cross the grease spell?

Harmose peers unhappily at the water coming in through the double doors. "Alas, brother, gill-growing is not one of the magics in my repertoire. Destroy the construct if you can, and then we can worry about this little flood."

"Smash it, Qari! You're doing magnificently!"

Is this where I tell them I cannot swim? No, they have enough to worry about.

Unable to melee, Harmose looks at where the water is flooding in.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Is there anything I can knock over to block the flooding?


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Kito has disable device skill. What do I need to do in order to use it to open the door? Is it as simple as unlocking the door? Do I need to find a trap mechanism and then disable it? It isn't clear to me what the situation is on our side of the door.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

"Turel, Ra-Khefer, Polux... If you can't get through that hard shell, try tripping it! We've seen it fall once. Let's keep it occupied until Qari can finish it off."


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

As the water begins pouring in, Polux's mind immediately begins analyzing the combat scene - "Deadly mix water and electrical energies" - he warns the others - "Try to stay dry!" - and attempts to hop over to an higher and drier position.

If there is one in attack range :P

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

From the advantageous position, and heeding Harmose's words, he takes advantage of the reach from his weapon to try and trip the animated sarcophagus.

Longspear Trip CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Qari again tries to blast the construct. "It's easier to hit if I can get a clear shot on it!"

Ranged touch attack 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 1 - 4 = 6

Damage 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Getting the door open from the other side is all but impossible. It does not have a mechanism to disable, it has hardness 8 and a break DC of 30. Odds are that those stuck on the other side will have to wait things out, unless you come up with something I haven't foreseen. Deathwatch, as far as I can tell, doesn't say anything about whether it's blocked by the doors, so for dramatic purposes I will certainly allow it to function. Deseri can keep track of the hit point condition of the party members in the room, and she can also tell that there is something there with them 'neither living nor dead', but she can't tell the thing's nature more specifically than that.

There is no convenient location on higher ground for Polux, so I moved him a square southeast instead, to put him 10' from the sarcophagus. He succeeds at tripping the sarcophagus. As far as I can tell, normally a combat maneuver provokes an attack of opportunity, but because Polux is at 10' reach, beyond the sarcophagus' threaten area, that does not occur. The trip has both pros and cons: since it needs to get up, it won't be able to get off a full attack, but on the other hand, a prone creature gets +4 AC against ranged attacks, which fortunately isn't an issue this time because Qari would have missed anyway.

Harmose Al-Nefer wrote:
Did the Sarcophagus make its acrobatics DC 10 with half move to cross the grease spell?

I made a judgment call that since it was only a five foot step, and one that exited the area rather than moving within it, it did not need to make the check. I stand by that decision mostly because it's better for you that I do -- it's prone now anyway thanks to Polux, but if I have it falling down in the grease, it remains adjacent to Qari, and you guys don't want that. ;)

Harmose Al-Nefer wrote:
Is there anything I can knock over to block the flooding?

You do not see anything easily knock-overable in the room, most pillars and statues seem very solid. The only possibility that occurs to you is that maybe the northern doors could be pushed closed, but there's a lot of water coming through so it might be very difficult.

Unless the people trapped in the hallway come up with something good, I'm not going to wait for them in the initiative cycle. You guys may post freeform over there until the doors open.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

ROUND 2 SUMMARY

Sarcophagus misses Polux.
Qari is damaged by electrical discharges on pedestal.
Qari damages sarcophagus.
Ra-Khefer hits but doesn't damage sarcophagus.
Turel misses sarcophagus.
Harmose looks for clues.
Polux trips sarcophagus.

ROUND 3
Water rises.
Qari is damaged by electrical discharges on pedestal.
Qari misses sarcophagus.

On the third round, the electrical discharges on top of the pedestal still continue, only affecting Qari who's the only one still up there.

Electricity Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5 Reflex DC 15 for half

The water continues to rise as more floods in through the northern doors. The water is now twelve inches deep, and movement on lower ground costs double. Does that make five foot steps impossible? Not sure on that.

The sarcophagus gets up, provoking AoOs from Ra-Khefer, Turel and Polux. It starts south, menacingly towards Qari, but not being able to reach her yet, it instead makes a snap of its lid at Turel.

Sarcophagus Bite vs Turel: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 That's a miss by one, right?

Harmose, Ra-Khefer, Polux and Turel may act. Qari already posted a round 3 action earlier. Kito, Aleris and Deseri may post freeform until the doors open.

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

AoO attack vs sarcophagus: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 for a possible 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 crushing damage.

Round 3_____

Ra waded up to the sarcophagus and swung for the fences!
greathammer attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 for a possible 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 crushing damage.


Inactive

My kingdom for a Stoneshape ;_;

Despite a rather amazing burst of strength, one that a part of her realizes she'll likely pay for later, the door separating her, Deseri, and Kito from the others remains firmly in place. "Nonononono," she mutters, frantically looking about for some other means of opening the door or disabling it.

Upon realizing that there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of opening the door from their side, she looks at Deseri and Kito, attempting to fight the panic rising inside her. "What do we do? None of my powers are meant for breaking through stone!"


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Reflex save round 3 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Getting shocked enough so that it affected her aim, Qari had to get off that blasted pedestal quickly. She moved to the ground, trying to keep distance between her and the sarcophagus.

Moving down for my move action in round 3 m

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Smart move. ;)

I decided to move you three squares east. You are now off the pedestal, in the water, with Turel, Polux and Ra-Khefer between you and the sarcophagus, but you still have a line of fire. I made a guess that that would be a decent spot for you. If you wish to move somewhere else instead, just let me know.

901 to 950 of 5,004 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Samy's Mummy's Mask Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.