Motteditor's Strange Aeons PBP

Game Master motteditor

Combat map / Overall map / Treasure tracker / Thrown splash weapon rules


4,051 to 4,100 of 4,156 << first < prev | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

As you try to decide what to do, you suddenly see a thick rope of webbing drops down from the darkness and snare a partygoer not too far from where you're now standing. A moment later, it hauls the man into the darkness above!

Everyone nearby seems to look away, but otherwise don't react, continuing on with their dance.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn freezes in place, her face slowly turning upward to regard the expanse above with wide eyes. ”This is the worst kind of ball.” When another ropey coil doesn’t come down immediately, she turns to Kyffin and shrugs. ”If he keeps his rings in a locked jewelry box, then I could be some help. Pinching them off his fingers though? That’s a tall order.”


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

"I do NOT like this party." Heinrich mutters and presses closer to his comrades, his hand on his dagger's hilt.


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9
motteditor wrote:
As you try to decide what to do, you suddenly see a thick rope of webbing drops down from the darkness and snare a partygoer not too far from where you're now standing. A moment later, it hauls the man into the darkness above!

WTF? This is a horrible party.

Tristain’s eyes go wide and he tries to flee a second time. He shuts his eyes and begins to beg for morning’s light.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18 Concentration to wake up

He opens them and is profoundly disappointed to still be at the party. He goes to bonk again, this time with the back of his head so he can watch the ceiling for more webbing.

*bonk*!
*bonk*!
*bonk*!

*bonk*!
*bonk*!
*bonk*!

After another few minutes, Tristain gathers his few remaining wits and begins to look around for the Vizcount.

”Does anyone see the Vizcount? We need to go get a ring. How? I dunno? Let’s start my asking nicely. Maybe he offers them freely, I have no idea. I just want to get out of here.”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin shrugs and says, "Let's be quick then." and pushes more forcefully through the dancers than he'd planned.

When he reaches the man, he says, "My lord, lovely party. Uh, those are some handsome rings, are there any stories behind them?" as he tries lamely to start up a conversation.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

You approach the viscount, but as you get close, you realize that although he looks healthy, he's punctuating his conversations with occasional bouts of coughing, hacking up tar-like phlegm that stains his chin and the front of his fine clothing with a crusty smear. The coughing doesn't seem to bother him, however.

"Ah, Newcomers," he says (coughing a little). "At least I assume so, as I don't recognize you."

Kyffin also realizes -- just in time to stop himself from blurting something out -- that the man isn't wearing any rings. Let's scratch that last sentence that Kyffin spoke.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin smiles without missing a beat, "Greetings, yes, I'm Kyffin, and these are my friends."

He pointedly glances at the mans hands, "Say, I had heard you had some truly lovely rings, but I see none on your hands now. Did you take them off for the party?"

He reaches, hoping to start the conversation in that direction.

(Anyone else want to play? Kyffin really isn't a face guy, at all.)


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

Heinrich nods to the Viscount and smiles briefly, but he's far too worried about the webs above and watches like a hawk.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"That sounds like a cough that could turn into trouble if left untreated", Albert keeps his eyes from drifting to the hideous stains. "Is anyone treating that for you?"

Heal check to recognize the affliction: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Is there a check that Tristain can make (not heal obv) that will help identify the black phlegm?

Tristain warily the group to the hacking Vizcount. He will let others speak, as social situations like this tend to lock his tongue. He hopes more eloquence follows from Tenebrynn for they seem lacking so far.


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

Heal, to check if Heinrich recognizes the affliction: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Tris, you could try a Know (planes) check.

"My rings? Yes, I'm afraid I'm not wearing them now. I could ask a valet to fetch them, however, if you would perform a very small favor for me," he replies.


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30 Know (Planes)

"You'd do that? Yeah, we could probably do a favor for you, uhm...sir?" Tristain babbles just a bit trying to speak formally to the Vizcount.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

"Exactly. What do you need? What is this small favor?" Kyffin wonders.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

He coughs again into his cloth and then beckons you to lean in closely.

"I'm afraid I've made a bit of a faux pas," he whispers. "I've committed to performing the Sunset Waltz with several people, but I've just learned that my beloved will be arriving at the ball just in time for the dance. If you would be so kind to -- discreetly and diplomatically! -- break off my engagements, I would be ever so grateful. Get a polite acknowledgement from each, and I will give you any ring of mine that you want."

If you agree, he names the guests as the elegant Lady Urdrenda Splinterbone, an influential trader named Ardvin Telgriette, and a beautiful but common woman simply named Maudette. He isn’t sure where in the party to find them, but encourages you to ask around.

Tristain:

You know there's a black slime that is connected to beings from beyond the edges of the known universe, though you don't know how that might have ended up being in the viscount's lungs.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin nods, showing he understands. "You were quite ambitious my lord. We will see what we can do."

He glances upward and wonders if maybe some of his guests might already be missing. He sort of bow a little, and back away from the Viscount.

Huddling up with the party he suggests, "We should stick together in case any of those, ah, spiders or whatever they are, descend from the rafters. Let's get this guy off the hook and get the ring quickly!"


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn casts a nervous glance upwards once more before nodding, "Yeah. Stick together. Ok."

As the group begins to mill about the partygoers, the little gnome flits from person to person asking of each, "Hi. Hello. We're looking for Maudette. Have you seen her?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

”Talk to people? You...want...us...to...talk...to...the...fancy...women?” Tristain utters with a bit of trepidation. ”Yeah, ok...fine...sure.” Tristain goes to find a wall to bonk against while he musters then courage to try to find any of the ladies.

Eventually, he’ll muster enough courage to ask one of the staff about the three ladies.

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3 Diplomacy

And again (after more bonking)
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1 Diplomacy
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6 Diplomacy
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3 Diplomacy

Tristain goes to the bar, pulls up a barstool and begins to bonk his head into the bar top.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

Albert seems undaunted by the task. "Well, sure, we can do that."

As Tristain stammers his way through questioning the staff, Al interjects with his harmless old man demeanor. "Say, can you point us towards these party guests?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

Diplomacy Aid: 1d20 ⇒ 16 Heinrich accompanies Al and tries to smile in a slightly charming way.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Tristain seems to get nothing but stares, and Tenebrynn little more as they ask after the guests. Al has more luck, however.

The first person he asks is more than happy to point out Lady Splinterbone, a stunningly beautiful woman with dark hair, red lips, and an elegant, clinging black dress who is in the midst of a dance with a gaunt, pallid man.

"But," the man whispers, "you might want to be careful. After all, everyone in Celephais knows she's a vampire..."

Another points Al toward the merchant Ardvin Telgriette. Al's also able to find out that Ardvin is wealthy and well respected, but he does not spend much time in Celephais. Ardvin is a thin, dark-skinned man with short dark hair and a neatly trimmed goatee amid a knot of other well-dressed men and woman. As Al approaches, he hears several others whispering and watching the group of people, and is able to realize that those around Ardvin are business rivals who probably do not have Ardvin’s best interests in mind.

The search for Maudette seems to be going more poorly, as the group ascertains she isn’t currently on the ballroom floor. Far worse, though, is appears she was standing near one of the ballroom’s walls when a loop of webbing snatched her up and pulled her to the ceiling.

Perception DC 20:

A narrow ladder, partially concealed behind a plush tapestry, affixed to the wall stands near the site of Maudette’s abduction.


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

”*THAT’S MISS MAUDETTE!?” Tristain seems much more worried than Heinrich about the fact that one of the Vizcount’s dancers are being dragged by webbing into the ceiling. Is that all the reaction? C’mon. He grabs Kyffin and moves towards where Maudette is. No one else at the party is reacting or caring about this, right?

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 Perception

”We need to find a way up there!”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 vs DC 20

Kyffin is dragged to the corner, and glances upward. "You want to start up there?! Well s+$&. First of all, calm down. None of these people are real. This is all a dream, so relax a bit. Second, how are we going to get up there? I can't fly, and Tenebrynn shouldn't go alone into that mess."

He shakes his head, "She may be unattainable, but look on the bright side... she won't show for the dance either. Her dance card may already be booked. I say we start with Ardvin, but keep our eyes open for when the vampire takes a break from the dancing."

"Let's go."

Pending further review by the other party members, Kyffin will approach Ardvin's party and stand at the fringe listening for a break in the conversation.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Correct, Tristain. The other folks in the party seem to merely step aside and literally dance around it, based on what you saw earlier.

Kyffin, remember the viscount told you to get a polite acknowledgement from each, and he would give you any ring.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Tenebrynn shakes her head and shrugs, ”We’re real. How do we know none of these people aren’t just like us?” She turns her large eyes toward the loop of web and then cranes her gaze upward. ”It’s ok if you all can’t follow me. I’ll go get Maudette.” The little gnome then readies herself to bound up into the rafters.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"Ardvin, my friend, this is no time to talk business, it's a party!" Albert interjects himself into the circle. "If I may borrow you for a moment, I have tiding from the Vizcount to discuss, it'll just take a moment of your time." Al tries to lead the man away from his rivals before talking further about the dance.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin, for now, stands by his statement, though doubts begin to creep into his thick noggin. As he waits for Ardvin, he's surprised at Albert's forwardness. I'd have done that badly, and pissed everyone off. Time to let the old man shine!

He keeps quiet for now and tries not to look menacing.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

OK, I'm guessing you're in different spots? Al and Kyffin with Ardvin, and Tenebrynn ready to leap into the rafters as Tris and Heinrich watch.

Ardvin looks around as Al interrupts him, a slight sneer crossing his face.

"Do excuse me, please," he says to the others he's with, "you'll understand if I must take word from the viscount."

He steps away, toward Al and Kyffin.

--

Near the windows, Tenebrynn leaps up, but even with her winds helping her, can't quite reach the webs 60 feet above. Still, the winds push aside the curtains, revealing a ladder that does in fact lead up through the webs.

1d20 + 11 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 11 + 6 = 27


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Wow! This is a very tall room!

Tenebrynn lands, frowning at the deceptive height of the rafters, but then notices the ladder and gestures to it, "Oh! A ladder! If this is a dreamscape, did one of you dream that up? Because I'm certain it wasn't there a minute ago." Shrugging, she heads over to the ladder and starts climbing upward.


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Seeing that Tenebrynn can’t quite make it up quickly, Tristain spins and tries to urge Al on so that they can climb the ladder together. He worries for the woman, but isn’t sure what to do about it.

”Al, can you fix this?”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin stands straight and tries not to loom over the lord. He waits for Al to say something, while he stands nervously aside. He doesn't notice the others, or the ladder, as yet. He's too focused. on their current issue.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"Thank you, good sir, for interrupting your discussions. The count has found himself in a faux pas, as his beloved is arriving at the time of the sunset waltz. He humbly requests that he may reschedule his arrangements with you so that he can be attentive to his lady. Your graciousness in this matter will be noted." Albert exudes a calm demeanor as he unveils the disappointing news...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

...then he looks to Kyffin for support as his words tumble out poorly.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

"Uh, yeah, so like, er, your graciousness will be not only noted, but likely rewarded. It's always good to be remembered by the lord is it not? And remembered in a favorable light too, to boot. That's not bad at all huh?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8 vs DC 10 to aid.

Realizing that the carrot wasn't going to work, he also provides a stick. Probably a bad idea, but its the only idea he has, and the way his mind runs...

"And besides, doing what the count wants keeps you on my best side. You wouldn't want me to be angry with you would you?" he threatens, taking his scimitar part way out of the sheath to show it's well used.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

(Sigh...)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

”Yeah,” Tristain says seriously, trying to back up Al.

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16 Aid to Diplomacy vs. DC10

”Yeah,” Tristain says goonishly, trying to back up Kyffin.

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13 Aid to Intimidate vs. DC10

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"What? That's unacceptable!" Ardvin replies peevishly. "I insist you go back to the viscount and let him know that he should adhere to his word. I was looking forward to that dance!"

As Al tries to calm him -- people are starting to look, after all -- several of the people he was talking to approach Tristain, who seems to be trying to help.

"It's not just the dance," one whispers to the scholar. "He needs the prestige. Or rather he wants it, as he believes that will help him make more financial conversations. Perhaps if you offered some other source of wealth... Even if it's not real, he doesn't need to know that, now does he?"

--

Meanwhile, Tenebrynn begins climbing. Heinrich, looking concerned, starts following her.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin understands a shakedown when he sees one. Wordlessly he takes out one of the giant emeralds the party found.

"Will this take care of your troubles?" he asks innocently.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Good thinking Kyffin!

”Yeah,” Tristain yesmans effectively, trying to back up Kyffin.

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10 Aid to Bribe Diplomacy


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"Sir, I am available to stand in the count's place and perform this dance, in fact it will place more emphasis on your well know name without being shadowed by the count, there's is great value in this chance for you to shine."

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Troubles? I hardly have any troubles!" Ardvin protests more loudly than you want. "I was hoping for a dance with the Viscount, not just some stranger, or a bauble."

Still his eyes linger for a few moments on the bright green gem.

Sense Motive DC 15:
You think the gem is simply not enough of a "gift."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9
motteditor wrote:
Ardvin protests more loudly than you want. "I was hoping for a dance with the Viscount, not just some stranger, or a bauble."

”I suggest you take it,” Tristain replies, trying to be reasonable. He uses his mind to gently force the issue. ”I suggest you take it and thank us for the generous offer. And then you should go home, after having a delightful evening where it was okay that you didn’t get the dance you wished.”

Suggestion, DC 18 Will.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Kyffin is about to dig for another gem, maybe the sapphire, when Tristain steps in forcefully. He smiles at the help, and waits.

If, however, Ardvin persists in resisting, he'll try another emerald to match the first.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"It is a beautiful gem, and the count will remember how you provided a polite acknowledgement. This a chance for you to expand your wealth and have the count in your debt, for just the price of a polite acknowledgement that he double booked himself for the evening." Al considers emphasizing the word 'polite' a third time, but decides against it.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

The man shakes his head, unsure why he suddenly thinks it's an offer good enough to take, much less thank the half-orc for. He frowns as Kyffin digs another emerald out, looking like he still has no interest in the offer.

You think if you offer all five, he might accept.

--

Tenebrynn and Heinrich meanwhile, reach the top of the ladder, passing through a thick sheet of webbing. Unfortunately, it's dark as night above.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn glances over her shoulder as she nears the top of the ladder and sees the bulk of her friends clustered around another one of the guests. She sighs, contentedly, and looks down at Heinrich. "I'm feeling much better about this already, Heinrich. That guy looks about as boring as a stack of books. Giant spiders up in the ceiling, though? At least our job is interesting!"

She then turns to look upward once more and begins ascending the ladder more confidently.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

"Interesting? Your view of interesting is detrimental to a long lifespan, Tenebrynn.." Heinrich murmurs. He keeps a weather eye out for danger with more legs than is sensible. Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain slumps in failure, as the man easily foils his attempt. He looks for a wall to bonk his head into.

He worries about Tenebrynn’s assent and that everything in this hell is a hell.

Tristain is frozen by social panic and split needs, unable to decide what to do.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin watches Tristain slump, and though he tries to put a brave face on it, he slumps too. Unsure what any of these gemstones are worth, he shrugs, mumbling to himself, "They are but dream-stuff anyway."

"You drive a hard bargain sir, but we shall oblige you as you have us rather over the rain barrel and I don't want to get wet." he grins meanly as he hands over the five emeralds. "I hope that will allay your fears and make you comfortable sir."

He hopes the man will take them and be satisfied.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn snaps her fingers and sets four dancing globes to bobbing in the air around her.
dancing lights


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

Albert also awaits the man's polite acceptance of the 5 gems. Once received, he'll enjoy some juice and a cookie from the refreshments, while grumbling about the formality of diplomacy. "All that polite speech is danged foolish behavior if you ask me, was the reason I left the church property. A person should say what they mean, and mean what they say, remember that boy." Al points at Tristain while also making sure that he and Kyffin are having a cookie and drinking some juice. "Ain't no nuance and posturing that ever mattered to the actual message." His rant completed and cookie consumed, Al makes his way to the vampire lady. "Right, this should only take a few pints if we approach it right, let's hope all them vampire folks ain't hungry."

4,051 to 4,100 of 4,156 << first < prev | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's Strange Aeons PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.