Motteditor's Strange Aeons PBP

Game Master motteditor

Combat map / Overall map / Treasure tracker / Thrown splash weapon rules


4,001 to 4,050 of 4,161 << first < prev | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Ah, yes, the Yellow King, indeed. I am of Lowls, but am not Lowls, much as you are human but just a piece of humanity. Not you, of course," he adds, nodding as he makes the last comment to Tenebrynn and Kyffin.

"As for why you are here, I should wonder the same thing, and would be quite pleased if you would elucidate. I think I recognize most of you..."


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

"Who do you think we are, exactly?" Heinrich asks, keeping his hand on his bomb-making flask.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

”Lowls!” Kyffin spits disrespectfully, ”Ironically the old me would cut you down where you stand, without a thought for what you did to us. I will listen to what you have to say first. Why did you do what you did? Was it just plain greed?”

Kyffin moves to put himself between the party and this man, scimitar brandished.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

”Wait. ‘Of Lowls but not Lowls?’ What does that even mean?”

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"I'm unsure," he says hesitantly, in response to Heinrich. "I feel I know you, but I can't remember details. You know how it is, you spend all your time thinking of one thing, and then you can't bring your mind around to concenter on another when you wish to."

He steps back as Kyffin moves forward.

"No, I am afraid not. As I am sure I mentioned just a few moments ago, I am the Yellow King. Perhaps I was once a part of Lowls, but no longer. We have dichotomized ourselves, you might say, much as an acorn falls from a tree and grows into a tree of its own.

"I am sorry to hear that something was done to you, but I'm sure I have had no part in it. Perhaps I can render assistance, though, if you elucidate me on what has transpired."


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

”You’re an acorn?” Tenebrynn’s tone is incredulous, but it quickly shifts to one of worry when she looks to her friends, ”Could..... we be acorns too?”


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

”Uh, we don’t really remember what happened. I sort of think Lowls sold or traded our memories to something to get something about something,” Tristain tries to explain. ”From the notes I read, and it’s pretty jumbled, that we...we...lost our memories someplace and somehow is tied to this dream realm.”

Tristain doesn’t know how else to explain.

”But if you know anything about that, that would be keen.”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Kyffin isn't sure if he trusts this man, but he'll not run him through for the moment. Learn what he knows. He thinks slowly.

Kyffin will state, "After stealing our memories, he had us locked up in an asylum to be used as test subjects for god only knows what. We fought our way free of that insanity and have been hunting Lowls more or less ever since."

"And here you are... or a clone of yourself anyway. Probably just as corrupt."

"So, why are you here? What exactly are you doing in this realm? Everyone we've met so far has been extremely hostile."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

Albert listens to the talk of acorns and lost dreams, but his focus remains on the yellow king the entire time.

detect evil for the full 3 rounds, assuming Al isn't stunned after the second round. Creatures with actively evil intents count as evil creatures for the purpose of this spell.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn taps Albert on the shin with a gentle kick, "You're doing that thing with your eyebrows again!"

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"I was deconstructed from a greater whole, but that process can be reversed with you. You’re already deconstructed, I posit, and seek to be reconstructed in the inverse of my experience," the King replies as Al starts studying him, finding no hint of evil. "In short, you can retrace Lowls’s steps to regain your memories and your whole selves. I can’t recall all of those steps -- that was 'after my time,' so to speak, but I know the outcome: Lowls spoke with an ominous yet perspicacious prophet called the Mad Poet. This Mad Poet -- an apt appellation, I assure you -- has unimaginable power here in the Dreamlands, but he is fickle. Approaching the Mad Poet without the proper collection of gifts provokes his ire; worse, he might have nothing to do with you. Lowls learned some great truths from the Mad Poet; some truths so mind-shattering that I came into being as a result. I deem it serendipitous that I do not know what these truths are."

He looks over the landscape paintings in the office briefly and then turns his attention back to you.

“Good gifts for the Mad Poet are scattered throughout the Dreamlands. They are rare, esoteric, and never easily gained. Lowls identified six or seven of these gifts. I recall writing them down on the flyleaf of Dichotomous Translations of Aklo Syntax, but I can’t recall what they were. Lowls painstakingly scoured his tomes to research each gift, learning where to find it in the Dreamlands and then dreaming of that location. I recommend you do likewise. Some of the gifts required trickery or guile to obtain; others, delicate negotiation or brute force. I don’t know the minimum number of gifts the Mad Poet will accept, but Lowls acquired all the gifts on his list. If you want to make do with fewer gifts, or if you have some problem acquiring them all, the Mad Poet might condescend to converse with you anyway. That’s up to you.

"Once you acquire sufficient gifts, return here. I’ll escort you to the Mad Poet’s oasis, and you can petition him for the answers you seek.”


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain listens, but is not sure he hears.

”We should do what to get what back?” Tristain repeats, quite certain he didn’t want to hear what he heard. ”Why would we want our memories back? Isn’t that not what we want? Or do we? I mean, I’m sure I wasn’t an a@&@*%!, but the rest of you might have been pretty tight with ol’ real Lowls.”

Tristain moves to the wall to bonk things through as he thinks.

*bonk*
*bonk*
*bonk*


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

"I do not care about my memories, but I do care about stopping Lowls. This path seems a foolish waste of our time, and overly dangerous for the gains. After all, nothing we find here seems to pass back to the 'real' world. I don't see how following in his evil footsteps gets us closer to destroying the man, but I could be wrong."

"What a mess."

Kyffin is, as he has been, disgruntled. He waits to hear what the others may have to say.


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

Heinrich taps his index finger against his chin. "Do not be so quick to ignore a gift when it's laid in front of you, Kyffin. If we knew what Lowls knows, we would have a much better chance of finding him and perhaps catching up with him. As it is, we know nothing. We are chasing leads and will ever be following the foul man. With this knowledge we could get in front of him, if we knew what he seeks."


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0
Tenny wrote:
"You're doing that thing with your eyebrows again!"

"That's right, the ol' stink eye sees right through them. He seems fine though." Al stops giving yellow Lowl's the stink eye.

When the party shies away from reclaiming their memories, Albert offers a different perspective."If Lowls was deconstructed like you all were and this figment isn't evil, then maybe your lost selves ain't evil neither. And even if you done some bad things, don't mean you can't atone for them. Heck, there was always some folks at the church atoning for something. Our best chance to know what's going on with Lowls is those memories, maybe he took them to hide that stuff from you."

Al turns back to yellow Lowls. "Look, we don't need no mad poetry, or even sane poetry, not that any one is better than the other, what we need to find are these folks memories and get them back in their heads. Can this Mad Poet do that?"

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Yes, I suspect he certainly has such capacity, if he can be given interest in equal measure..."


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn nods, following along to a degree at least. She shakes her head at Al's suggestion though and pipes up, "That's what I'm saying! What if we're the figments? I hope we're not, but how can we even know one way or the other? And what if the other part of me you want to rejoin me with is made up of all the bad parts?"

She sighs in deep disappointment then, her shoulders drooping, as she turns back to the Yellow King. In a small voice, she asks, "Do you think the Mad Poet could instead save me from bleaching if I found him all those gifts?"


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain stops bonking as thoughts come to him.

”What items did he need? What items do *we* need to do this? What kinds of gifts?” Tristain echoes Tenebrynn in a way. ”And how do we find them within the Dreamlands? How do we learn more about this place?”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

"I dunno Heinrich. Seems like if all we do is follow his meanderings, we'll always be following and never catch up. But fine, we can go on this wild goose hunt while we're here. Nothing to do on the boat anyway." He glances at Tenebrynn.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"As I thought I had made abundantly, transparently clear, Lowls painstakingly scoured his tomes to research each gift, learning where to find it in the Dreamlands and then dreaming of that location. I recommend you do likewise. Lowls' gifts were -- again, as I am sure I mentioned, unless my own memory is becoming ephemeral -- written down on the flyleaf of Dichotomous Translations of Aklo Syntax. I can envision no reason those gifts shouldn't be sufficient to give you some further idea as what you could proffer."


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn frowns and her face turns downcast as her question is ignored. ”Oh. Ok then.” Shoulders slumped, she looks up at the others. ”I guess we have to go back to the boat again and read some more. Oh boy.” Her tone is flat and listless and it almost seems as if she were on the verge of tears.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry, Tenebrynn.

"The Mad Poet has great power (and with it, great responsibility). I feel with a great deal of assurance that he could safeguard you from the bleaching."


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

"Oh right, right, right," Tristain goes back to bonking and thinking. He doesn't like any of this and it will take some time to process all that he's learned here. "I guess...I guess...maybe there are clues in the notes he left us, maybe. I suppose, I'll have to look you see?"

*bonk!*
*bonk!*
*bonk!*

*bonk!*
*bonk!*
*bonk!*

Eventually, he stops bonking, thinking more.

"Do you anything about this place? I mean, downstairs or around here? That big blog thing? Or anything else? The ghostly mean shopkeeper?" Tristain asks Faux Lowls.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin waits to hear what else the man has to say before suggesting, "Well if we need to study the tomes, so be it, but that's back in the real world. So we might as well head back and get to it."

He's ready to leave, after their guide finishes his stories.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Shopkeeper?" the Yellow King repeats. "I'm afraid you must be misinformed. There has been no shopkeeper at the caravanserai for quite some time. I'm not at all certain what 'big blob thing' you're referring to."

When you explain further, he looks perturbed.

"This is why one shouldn't bathe in common quarters. You're quite likely to catch some infection, which sounds to me like what you've described. I find privacy" -- he pronounces it priv-a-see, of course -- "to certainly be the more more gentile option. In truth, I have quite a lot I am doing here, and choose not to mingle with any rabble that might be below."

If you want to leave (though there are a few other unexplored locations), you can. I'll assume at some point at least one of you makes the roll to wake up, in which case you can wake the rest. You'll have time to heal in the real world, so that's not a concern.


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"We should look around a bit more before we leave, it will do Tenny good as well." Al prepares to go through the door in yellow Lowl's office.

I vote for exploring the upstairs before we leave


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain nods, willing to explore more.

"I'm just not sure what else might be around here, but also, let's not forget that things we acquire here will be with us for all our dreams, I think," Tristain says but not with any real certainty. "Might be good to test that by finding something worth keeping. Might be Al finds something."

Tristain will follow Al as he leads on.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

"Fine." he says, though it seems like days since he said he was ready to leave.

He follows Al through the door, blade at the ready.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

The door from the Yellow King's office leads out on to the roof of the caravanserai, but there seems to be little of interest there as the sun beats down on you.

Moving back down, you explore everything except where that horrid creature was, though you still stay out of the dining area as well. Mostly you find nothing but dust and emptiness, but leaning up against the wall of the cell in the first room you entered is a scimitar in a disintegrating leather sheath. Stamped on the blade is the angelic ankh that Sarenrae uses as her symbol. Tristain's typical checks show it's powerfully magic. +1 vorpal scimitar

Day 25
Healed after your injuries getting in and out of the Dreamlands, you return to your ship existence, which for Tristain means going through the books. Turning to the "Dichotomous Translations of Aklo Syntax" -- among the books he brought from Lowls' estate -- he finds a list written in the margins:
* Viscount’s signet ring
* Feline tail (blue and purple mottled fur)
* Skull of ghoul royalty
* Green stone idol of a water lizard
* Night hag ambassador’s heartstone
* Captain’s tricorne
* Red webbed foot

Pick if there's one you want to go through and then you can give me a research check.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin scowls as he looks upon the blade. He wants to be angry about this place, but what a find!

He looks to the others, eager with excitement "May I?" he asks before grabbing the powerfully sharp weapon.

He's sorely disappointed when they return, and the blade does not return with them. But he's hopeful it will return to him when he again goes to the dreamland realm.

In the 'real' world, he wonders, "Should we each pick something different and study it, or should we help each other track down one thing at a time? Tristain, what's the best way forward? You've been reading these books, what do you think we should do?"

If picking individually, he'll go for the skull of ghoul royalty.
Research check: 1d20 ⇒ 17 (not sure what to add here)


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

"A f+%$ing vorpal blade?" Tristain's outburst is more than a bit unexpected when he finally unlocks the power of the weapon, even in the Dreamlands. He's shocked, but maybe he shouldn't be as these are our dreams."[/b] Tris smiles and looks at the party. "Now, which of you dreamt this up? Might have come in handy versus that blob, but now we have it for the next time." He smiles, understanding this realm less yet more at the same time.

"Maybe in this dreamland, I can be strong. Kyffin can be beautiful and Al, Al can not be old and weird. And Tenebrynn can *not* be a gnome and, well, Heinrich, maybe you'll become your true self rather than hiding behind the mask," Tristain beams with possibility and hope.

"Maybe we can be what we are not *here* in the Dreamlands. Maybe...maybe I can be strong. Do you think?" Tristain seems hopeful and hands the blade to Kyffin.

* * *

Tristain, back in the real world, begins to pour over the notes, trying to find the breadcrumbs that might lead him to the objects that Lowls was seeking.

He researches then researches more. He is not anxious to recover his memories, but to find what he might *not* be in the dreamlands. He dreams of what might make him whole and complete.

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27 Know (arcana)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Knowledge points (per the 5 and 5 rule)

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19 Know (arcana)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 Knowledge points (per the 5 and 5 rule)

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29 Know (arcana)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Knowledge points (per the 5 and 5 rule)

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25 Know (arcana)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Knowledge points (per the 5 and 5 rule)


AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

"Maybe that tricorn will distract folks from the stink eye." Albert researches the tricorn the best he can in his limited capacity.

Research: 1d20 ⇒ 5

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Kyffin begins making his way through the books, looking for clues to the skull of ghoul royalty, which he finds in The Codex of Three Prescriptions, Manual of Silence, and The Unified Manual of Understanding. A Know (religion) check works here, so you get a 21, and it offers a bonus of +2 for 23 total. You reduce the kp by 1d4 ⇒ 3. Unfortunately, while you've found some clues, you're going to need to spend more time with the books, or get some help, something more than Al. This simply isn't your forte, like it is Tristain's and to a lesser degree Heinrich's.

Heinrich: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Heinrich: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 1 = 13
Heinrich: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 2 = 25 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9
Heinrich: 1d20 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 3 = 25 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 1 = 10

End of Day 29
Not surprisingly, Tristain seems to be the most skilled at this, and over the course of the next four days he's able to use his knowledge of the planes to go through Elements through the Spirals of Time, Spiders of Sin and Sky, and Theological Agreements of the Kingdom to learn about the signet ring. He discovers: Lowls learned that the viscount referenced is Viscount Pietro Brellin, a mysterious but popular noble in the Dreamlands city of Celephais. According to one of Lowls’s travelogues, Celephais is an opulent and populous city. Although visitors and natives alike experience the passage of time normally in Celephais, the city appears frozen in time. Lowls visited at noon, and the sun remained at its zenith even though he spent hours negotiating with the viscount for his ring. Viscount Brellin is known for hosting courtly and lavish events. Fearing to lose the viscount’s favor, attendees ignore any unusual happenings at these events. Finally, he learns the proper phrase that allows them to use the Dreamlands excursion occult ritual to reach the Viscount’s Gala.

He's also able to help Kyffin a little it took three checks to fully discover the above information so I applied the last one to this, and together they learn that according to a folio regarding extraplanar undead, the ghouls of the Dreamlands are far more social—though no less wicked—than their bestial kin in the waking world. They have rich histories and large communities led by royalty.

Heinrich applies himself to searching for information about the feline tail, reading through Monuments of the Forest, Tigers and Flies, and The Wise Harmony. He learns that according to a naturalist’s papers, felines with blue and purple tails are called pards, and they can be found in the Dreamlands’ Enchanted Wood. In addition, one of Lowls’s diaries indicates his intent to seek the advice of zoogs, a race of intelligent rodent-like creatures native to the Enchanted Wood. Zoogs are carnivores and particularly enjoy feline flesh; Lowls assumed the zoogs would know where to find pards.

Research options:

These are the following "libraries" you can work on, and the skills required. Each has a Complexity (DC) of 20, with 25 kp. Also, remember each 8-hour period of research grants a cumulative +1 bonus on Research checks, and for every 5 by which a Research check exceeds the library’s Complexity rating, the library’s knowledge points are reduced by 1 additional point. Rolling a natural 20 on a Research check acts like a critical threat.

Feline Tail (19 points drained): To research the feline tail, the PCs must read through the following titles: Monuments of the Forest, Tigers and Flies, and The Wise Harmony. Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (planes); Knowledge Bonus +2

Skull of Ghoul Royalty (11 points drained): To research the skulls of ghoul royalty, the PCs must read through the following titles: The Codex of Three Prescriptions, Manual of Silence, and The Unified Manual of Understanding. Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (planes), Knowledge (religion); Knowledge Bonus +2

Green Stone Idol: To research the green stone idol of a water lizard, the PCs must read through the following titles: Festival of the Snake, The Forgotten Servants, and The Illusion of the Weeping Ones. Knowledge (history), Knowledge (planes), Knowledge (religion); Knowledge Bonus +2

Ambassador’s Heartstone: To research the ambassador’s heartstone, the PCs must read through the following titles: Atop the Valley’s Soul, The Falling Silk, and In Admiration of Keeping Pacts. Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nobility), Knowledge (planes); Knowledge Bonus +2

Captain’s Tricorne: To research the captain’s tricorne, the PCs must read through the following titles: Emotions of the Past, The Shadow’s Ship, and Voyage of the Rainbow Servant. Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (planes); Knowledge Bonus +0

Webbed Red Foot: To research the webbed red foot, the PCs must read through the following titles: Curses of the Black Lake, Men and Vultures: Denizens of the Darkened Depths and Dead Skies, and Shards of Sight. Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (planes); Knowledge Bonus +2


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Though he’s not good at it, it is in fact what he’s best at, so Kyffin continues to research the Skull of Ghoul Royalty, trying to stay out of everyone else’s way.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12 Research: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 23 Research: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19 Research: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13 Research: 1d4 ⇒ 4

As with almost all things dreamland (he had to admit, even to himself, that scimitar was very cool), he’s frustrated. But he continues to work at it. (How many checks do you want us to do at once?)

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Each check is basically a day. I wasn't sure if you'd want to try to do all the research right away or break it up with trips into the Dreamlands. Up to you.


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain, after unlocking the ring, takes a dive into finishing up the Feline Tail and then the Green Stone Idol.

1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 14 + 2 = 20 Know (Nature)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 KPs

1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 14 + 2 = 36 Know (Nature)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 KPs

1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 14 + 2 = 31 Know (Nature)
1d12 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 KPs

"Hey, I'm tired of books," Tristain says after the third day of consecutive research. "Maybe we should see if this stuff actually works and is true. The ring seems like a completely and totally safe place to go. We should see if this research will be helpful. Might be worthless and only one way to find out."


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

(Ahh, got it, thanks.)

"Let's study the text for a few more days, four days total, and head back in to see what we can find with the leads we have then. Shall we?" he suggests, finding little himself in that time.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn nods at Tristain’s suggestion, ”I don’t know how you didn’t get tired of books sooner! But yes, let’s see if we got anything of worth from all that reading!” The little gnome seems ready to head back to the Dreamlands.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Tris, hold on to those last three rolls and remind me. I think I'm going to go with just the first four days you posted and move you on to the first dream quest.

That said, where is everyone? Al? Heinrich? I think we all know the deal, which is I'd like everyone to be posting.

Evening of Day 29
Tristain again leads you through the ritual, and again you feel a little pain as you descend the stairs 6 hp in the real world.

A moment later, you find yourselves in a crowded ballroom of cavernous proportions. The west walls of the crowded ballroom have low, narrow windows that let in the reddish light of sunset. Through these windows, you can see an enormous city of marble buildings and high columns. Beyond the city stands a snow-capped mountain.

In front of each of the windows is a quartet of musicians. Their elegant music fills the ballroom, where thousands of attendees in courtly dress throng the area. Many are dancing, but a few converse in small groups or enjoy hors d’oeuvres presented by liveried servants. Here and there, a slim, gray cat winds its way through the dancing partygoers. Although most of the partygoers are dressed in fine clothes, other attendees wear clothes that are threadbare or several decades out of fashion.

Elsewhere in the room, a high platform bearing a throne with a commanding view of the festivities rises at the southern end of the ballroom. A handsome man with high cheekbones and blond hair in extremely lavish clothes sits there, attended by several people nearby.

More ominously, thick webbing and areas of darkness obscure the ballroom’s ceiling, 60 feet above the lacquered floor. Sounds of scuttling and clicking echo from this web-shrouded darkness.

Mechanics:

Tris ritual: 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 3 = 30
Tris ritual: 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 14 + 3 = 18
Tris ritual: 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 3 = 30
Tris ritual: 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 14 + 3 = 34
Tris ritual: 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 14 + 3 = 33
2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin, as usual, descends the stairs with his scimitar out. When he reaches the dreamworld, he sheaths it as he surveys the party goers. However, he considers drawing it again when he sees the webbing. "That's unnatural."

He turns to Tristain, "So, er, what is this then? Looks like some sort of king over there. I'd talk to him, but I don't even know what to ask."

He looks around helplessly unsure what to do.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 19, hp 46, Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +8; +2 vs. enchantments, CMD 23, Perception +0

Albert does nothing for the research, though he does find Tristain's stash of nudie drawings, which may be why he did nothing for the research.

Albert dons his noble's outfit and jewelry for the trip to the count's court. When they arrive he does his best to hide the stinkeye routine behind the party, but he still scans the gathering for evil. After Tenny pokes him and complains a few times he stops the eyebrow wiggling and proceeds in the social manner of a kind old man as he approaches a nearby guest.

"Well met, I'm new to these gatherings, any advice for an old codger like myself?" The old man's friendly smile sends wrinkles across his face and doesn't look creepy at all.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

As the party starts the ritual, Tristain prepares himself for more horrors, more deserts, more unkillable squishy death blobs. When he gets there, he finds himself someplace completely worse: a formal dance.

His head spins from side to side, looking with horror upon the people, their costumes, and the easy social activities in which they engage.

”Oh no! What is this horror!” Tristain says, unable to want to continue.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22 Concentration to wake up vs. DC25

As this is a full round action, we’ll see if anyone stops him from trying again.


HP 32/32; AC 16, T 13, T 14; F+4, R+6, W+3; CMD 17; Init +2, Perc+9

"This is... not what I expected." Heinrich murmurs, his eyes firmly planted on the webs above.


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin slaps Tristain in the face, "There. There's a pillar. Go bonk against it a while, you'll feel better."

He waits to see what Albert wisely learns, but he stays close to Tristain, lest he lay about himself with spell and spear in his horror.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Tristain's effort to wake up meets with failure and a harsh retort from Kyffin.

Al's query is returned with a polite smile from an attractive young woman wearing a dress with a plunging neckline.

"Advice? Enjoy yourself. Everyone in Celephais hoped for an invitation to Viscount Pietro Brellin's gala," she says, gesturing to the man on the throne, "so what else would you do?"

Sorry for the delays, all. I'm geting into a design deadline, so been a bit crunched time-wise.


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Slapped unsilly, Tristain takes his stinging cheek to go bonk against the wall until he is able to cope with the dancing and merriment. He bonks forehead first this time so he can take his time to get acclimated to the social horrors around him.

*bonk*!
*bonk*!
*bonk*!

*bonk*!
*bonk*!
*bonk*!

He's in no rush to face the horrors, taking his time to build his strength. When he's ready he will navigate the social situation to catch up with the party.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 69 | AC 16 (14 T / 13 FF) | CMD 15 | Initiative +3 | Fort +10 / Ref +8 / Will +3 | Stealth +21 |Disable Device +16 | Acrobatics +11 | Perception +10 | Fly +9

Tenebrynn looks around, utterly enchanted and bewildered at the same time. She tugs idly on Kyffin's pant leg as Al cracks a smile and starts chatting up one of the seeming nobles. "Uhhhh, Kyffin? What, ahhh, what do we do? Is this a ball?" She looks at Tristain, bonking away, and asks him, "Hey, Tristain, did you books say anything about balls? Or maybe what to do at them?" She then glances upwards, forgotten habits leading her to look for second story windows, but she jolts and shrinks back when she sees vague shapes scuttling about on silken strands overhead. "Gah! That's certainly not normal! I've never been to a ball before, but I'm sure they don't have that!"


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin watches Tristain come to grips with the reality before them, "Good man, you've got this."

He turns to Tenebrynn and shrugs, "I'm not really sure what this is or why we're here. I don't like those webs either... we'll just have to keep our heads down and wait for Tristain to come around. It may be he knows from his research why we're here."

"If not, I say we look for the exit. Not leave necessarily, but I don't like not knowing the way out of a place. It's like the hospital... trapped."


M Human - Loon 6 AC: 12 (10 FF) CMD (13/11) CMB +1 Fort +5; Ref +7; Will +9

Tristain comes around slowly and eventually even lifts his eyes enough to look at Kyffin. He looks around the dancing and happy people with horror in his eyes. This is not the place for him, he knows nothing of social niceties nor dancing. He will be laughed at, almost assuredly.

”We need a ring. We need one of the Vizcount’s rings. One of you should go get it. I can wait here...” Tristain seems worried about moving from this spot as if some maiden might come upon him to dance at any moment. He wouldn’t know what to do. ”Lowls got one of his rings. We should get one too. Then...then we can flee this place.”


AC: 21 (f18/t12); CMD: 19; F: +10, R: +6, W: +10

Kyffin looks incredulously at Tristain, "Now how the hell are we supposed to do that?"

He chuckles, "Any of you any good with talking to royalty without pissing them off? I have a knack for the latter I'm afraid, and am more likely to get us in a fight than receive a gift from the Viscount."

He looks to the others for help as he begins slowly to head in the man's direction, dancing between the dancers.

4,001 to 4,050 of 4,161 << first < prev | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's Strange Aeons PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.