Motteditor's Skull and Shackles PBP (Inactive)

Game Master motteditor

Combat map / Dungeon map / Island map / Open ocean map
Murderin' Murder upper decks /Murderin' Murder lower decks
GM's crew list / Crew icons


351 to 400 of 1,545 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Round 1:

Gezza: 19
Budos: 18
Cargas: 14
Sicarius: 14
Nimrod: 7
Antagonist: 24

The spray of colors seems to catch one of the reefclaws, but the other -- more focused on Budos -- doesn't even seem to notice it.

The two thrash in the surf as Cargas closes in on the aberrant crustacean fighting the half-orc, who's quickly surrounded by his new companions.

Sicarius takes aim at the unoccupied reefclaw, acid hissing off it as it sits motionless in the water. The other tries to crush Budos, but the half-orc manages to slither free.

Mechanics:

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Claw: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

R1: 3
R2: 12


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Round 2

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Swim

Cargas maintains his spot by treading water. He punches the badfish in the back of the neck fin.

Brass attack:
1d20 + 4 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 4 - 2 + 2 = 19 to hit; (-waterpenalty,+flank)
1d3 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 damage./2= 2 damage.(1/2 for bludgeon underwater)

AC 12; HP 14/14


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza snarls as only one of them succumbs. He focuses on the one still fighting and launches a ray of frost at it! Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 2 - 4 = 0 for 1d3 ⇒ 1 cold damage!


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Posting the underwater (link) combat. Edited my post for 1/2 damage. Ranged attacks take penalties, let alone spellcasting.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Thanks, Cargas. I'll add that to the campaign info thread at some point, as I suspect it'll be fairly important over the course of the AP.

Cargas' punch shatters the shell of the reefclaw fighting Budos, reaching into the soft flesh beneath, and it stops moving. It's dead, Jim.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

"Kill the other one before it wakes up. My colors won't keep it docile forever." Gezza calls out over the waves.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

With the final reefclaw stunned, you're able to finish it off with ease and finish filling the crab pots.

No reason to play out the rest of this fight, I don't think.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza swims over to the dead lobsters. Knowledge Nature: Can you eat these things?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


retired

Brood shakes his head at the reefclaws, his grumpy scowl fixed plainly to his face, before grunting and returning to work filling his pot with crabs. On the way back to the boat, he offers to Cargas, "Hey, Offal. Try to do better with these than with that pork from the other night. Hot crab water doesn't strike me as a meal Plugg'll take kindly toward."


Half Orc Treasure Hunter 4 | init +5, per +6 | AC 17/14/13 | HP 27 | Fort +1, Reflex +7, Will +1 | CMB +7, CMD 21

As his wounds knit Budos swims out of the cloud of blood and pats Nim on the shoulder. "Thanks, friend, another claw and I was done for!"

Bud helps fill the crab pots to the brims with the sweet lobstrosity. "These things are tasty, even you can't wreck these in the cooking pot, dwarf." Bud starts paddling back to the ship with crab pots in tow, his muscles and wounds still paining him slightly

HP: 6/9, -1 Strength


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Cargas returns Sicarius' disgusted look.

"I ain't wanna be cooking. I'm much better at either end of the process...either catching or eating. The middle section aint my strong area. I done did try my best, however...ain't my fault that there isn't no thing as curing meat with ground sawdust. Why was there wood in the kitchen if not for cooking?"

Cargas hopes he won't be cooking tonight.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

"Don't let them get you down, Offal. We just need to teach you the joy of spices. They can make anything edible!" Gezza peels his shirt back to peer at the claw wound. "Stupid lobsters. I do hope we eat them tonight; serves them right to turn the table."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Yes, they are edible.


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision

Nim lugs the crab pot, his muscles growing tired at the constant exercise. He grins at Budos. "Yeah, that looked painful. Can't have a pot and a mate to drag back, can we?" The halfer-orc looks over the half-orc's still open wounds. "At least they're not pumping blood into the waters still. Don't need anything tracking us back."

Nim swims up on Gezza, hoping to get a look at the man's injuries. "You good? Nifty trick, that color of yours."


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza grins. "Non-lethal crowd control tactics, my professors used to call it. I call it pretty lights that make you a bit loopy for a while; either way, it works! I think those lobsters CAN be eaten. I say we haul them along and give 'em to Plugg for dinner. With any luck they're reanimate and pinch his bloody nose off."


retired

"Hmpf. I hope they don't settle just for his nose."


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision

Nim flicks a hand in Budos's direction. "I think Bud already loaded up on the lobster meats, by the looks of his pots."

By the time they get back to the ship, Nim takes a long look over the ship's exterior. Could I ever recognize this ship at a distance? I get thrown overboard... I jump overboard... not sure I'd end up swimming towards a ship I was trying to swim away from...

He sends the pots up first, then runs himself up the rope when he can grab them. Dripping on the deck, he stays close to the railing, helping up any of the others if they followed behind him.


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Cargas helps row back, taking an oar (or both, if allowed) getting the pots back so hopefully someone can cook them.

"Not bad work for a day. I could get used to this," Cargas muses openly.


Half Orc Treasure Hunter 4 | init +5, per +6 | AC 17/14/13 | HP 27 | Fort +1, Reflex +7, Will +1 | CMB +7, CMD 21
Nim wrote:
"I think Bud already loaded up on the lobster meats, by the looks of his pots."

"By the tides I did, and I loaded the rest of yer pots as well, those things are delicious! That one chomp was a better meal than the pork water from last night. Don't take offense, Cargas, the way I see it these are proper food because they don't hardly need cooking and that's better than something that takes time to cook."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What are you rowing, Cargas? :p

You make your return to the Wormwood, pots full of craps and reefclaw carcasses. Fishguts' eyes light up when he sees the latter, and he rubs his hands together, giving a gap-toothed grin as he plans to cook.

"Out of the kitchen, boy," he snaps good-humoredly to Cargas. "I won't have you messing this up, like you did dinner last night."

The crew is in high spirits at the end of the night as they feast on the seafood, with Capt. Harrigan emerging from his own chambers and proclaiming his satisfaction.

"No Bloody Hour tonight," he growls. "You've done well today."

He also talks briefly to Grok, who nods at his words before he returns to his own quarters. Later that evening, the half-orc approaches Gezza, her arms full of equipment that he immediately realizes looks familiar.

"Captain Harrigan said you were to be rewarded for the 'claws, and that I should return your gear. You can keep whatever you're not using in one of the empty lockers in the lower hold," she says, handing over a small brass key. You now have all your starting gear, Gezza.

After dinner, the pirates again gather for entertainment, all seeming in fine spirits. The ones you've established better relationships with -- Sandara, Tilly, Rosie, Ratline, Shivikah, Conchobhar and Badger -- cluster around you, all smiles and laughs as they swap stories and sing along to Rosie's fiddle.

On the far side of the deck, though, Plugg and Scourge's cronies remain group, often looking back in your direction with glares and scowls. A few other pirates -- Barefoot Samms Toppin, Giffer Tibbs, Jack Scrimshaw and Crimson Cogward -- seem to sense the tension between the two groups and make themselves scarce.

Nighttime actions; if you want to set up any games of chance, you certainly can.

1d5 ⇒ 3
1d5 ⇒ 2


Half Orc Treasure Hunter 4 | init +5, per +6 | AC 17/14/13 | HP 27 | Fort +1, Reflex +7, Will +1 | CMB +7, CMD 21

Budos makes a mental list of the four pirates that avoid Plugg's gang and finds time to approach Jack Scrimshaw that evening. "Oye, lad, you should join us for the music in the evening, does a person good to relax now and then."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

That evening Bud pulls the new companions together and voices his rising concern. "Looks like our bunch is getting popular on this tub and that's sure to create some friction. We's best stay alert and watch each other's backs, Plugg's cronies might waylay us again and next time they could bring weapons." That evening the partial orc takes the middle watch from his hammock, fearful that the pleasant evening was just the calm before the storm.


retired

Seeing Bud return from chatting with Jack, Brood quietly adds. "I heard the kid's good with carvings but only has crap for tools." The elf glances down to the cutlass hanging comfortably from his hip once more and his frown deepens slightly. "We all know how that is, don't we?" He turns to Nim and Cargas then, "Grok seems to have taken well to the pair of you. Think she might have something in stock that'd suit him?"

As the evening draws on, Sicarius sees Crimson Cog leaning against the rail up on the forecastle, staring off into the distance. Turning to the group as one of Rosie's songs comes to an end, the elf nods toward Cog and asks, "Any of you know his story?"

Gather Info (Crimson Cog): 1d20 ⇒ 11


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision

Nim sees Budos talking up Jack, then hears Brood mention a way in with the boy. "She took a lot of gold off Budos for a fiddle. Can't imagine what she'd command for a set of tools for Jack. Guess it can't hurt to ask." The halfer-orc nods at Brood, and tries to talk up Grok, wherever she may be at the moment.

"Hey, Grok, I'm thinking of taking up carving to pass the slow nights. You got anything that would serve that purpose?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Oh, I thought we had a little dinghy. Dude, tough to lug pots while swimming.

Cargas enjoys that he avoids the day's whipping, a practice that he has yet to understand. He ain't done nothing wrong but boil when he should have brined, and brined what he should have seared...but he's eating well today and will take what comes tomorrow.

Cargas wants to gamble or fight, but has no money still. Nor any possessions with which to gamble/barter. So he watches. He watches the gambling and huzzahs and tries to enjoy himself.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

That's why you learn the sidestroke. :)

As long as the water's calm, I didn't think it was worth quibbling about it. We've got enough skill checks going on.


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

"...and I said, the side-stroke is the motion I use with the Calistrians so they don't get pregnant!! HAWHAW!!" Cargas says, roaring with laughter at his own joke. He looks up, enjoying the night's festivities.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza takes his things and stows them carefully in the locker provided, still shocked to have them back. He sees them as relics, almost as a link to his past, a past that seems very very far away now.

When he gets back belowdecks he simply hangs out, listening to the jokes and japes and trying to blend in, to feel like he belongs.


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Cargas looks around, wondering where the good talkin' party he was just at went to. He had thought that his sidestroke joke was a killer one, but not a party killer.

He debates going to bed or finding another activity.


retired

Brood offers Cargas a flat, stoic frown in response to his joke. With a shake of his head and a shrug of his shoulders he adds, "Your hot ham water was better than that."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Jack nods and flashes a grin toward Budos as the half-orc invites him to join them, seeming happy enough to join in the festivities. The evening passes happily, stories of tales and bad jokes from Cargas -- unfortunately, not everyone else is quite as humorless, though, and Sicarius' question about Cog appears to be lost amid a surge of laughter, the conversation never returning to the topic i.e. that check didn't pass muster.

Grok nods to Nim.

"Sure, I've got something. Store's closed now, but ... what the hells. For you, I could open it up. 'Course, that don't mean it won't cost you."
We can play that out at the same time as we move ahead...

---

Eventually you all head to bed, your sleep happily uninterrupted until morning, when you're summoned as usual to the deck and given the day's chores by Scourge.

Budos, you're on rigging repair: DC 10 Climb checks to reach the rigging 30 feet up, followed by a DC 10 Profession (sailor) or Dexterity check.

Cargas, Fishguts points you toward some harpoons, treble hooks, and nets in the galley before nodding back out of the cramped quarters. "See if you can't catch some turtles. Gotta hankering for some more shellfish after yesterday's meal." DC 10 Profession (fisherman) or Survival check.

The rest of you are swabbing the decks. DC 10 Strength or Constitution check. Failing either check results in being fatigued at the end of the shift.

Mechanics:

Budos: Rigger: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Gezza: Swab: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Nimrod: Swab: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Sicarius: Swab: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Cargas: Cook's mate: 1d6 ⇒ 4
1d2 ⇒ 1

And daytime actions, as always.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Swabbin': 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 Gezza swabs and, feeling bolstered by his lack of whipping last night, will sneak around the ship and see if he can find any places not yet explored by his fellows.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21


Half Orc Treasure Hunter 4 | init +5, per +6 | AC 17/14/13 | HP 27 | Fort +1, Reflex +7, Will +1 | CMB +7, CMD 21

Budos climbs easily through the rigging... climb +10

Profession, Sailor: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

...and completes the repairs with skill. Still, the half orc focuses on chatting with those few pirates that aren't in Plugg's entourage.

day action: influence - still have Barefoot Samms Toppin, Giffer Tibbs, and Crimson Cogward to influence

"Ho there, Samms, if any of those other pirates be giving you a hard time just let me know." Bud clacks his giant teeth. "They'll learn soon enough that messing with you will bite them back."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Gezza, there are several locations that aren't explored, all of which are off limits (though you can sneak in and make a single Perception check without being caught as your action, assuming the door's not locked of the one you pick): Officers’ Quarters, Armory, Peppery Longfarthing’s Laboratory (she's the ship’s sailing master and resident sorcerer), Captain’s Cabin, Cabin Girl’s Quarters, Captain’s Storage, the Quartermaster and Cook’s Cabin. Technically, no one's explored the Galley or Quartermaster’s Store either.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Hmmm...doesn't Cargas work in the Galley? But I guess I need a separate check to search? Woulda thought I had turned the place upside down looking for Old Spice for flavoring the pig. Can do!

Cargas spends a bit of time before and after his hunting to look for goodies about the galley that might help him fish for turtles better.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Perception - Galley
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 Survival - Turtling (+2 more if hunting human-turtle hybrids, ninja or otherwise.)

"Do we have any turtle crackers?"


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza will check out Longfarthing's lab if he can.


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision
Grok wrote:
"Sure, I've got something. Store's closed now, but ... what the hells. For you, I could open it up. 'Course, that don't mean it won't cost you."

Nim's face scrunches up a little. "Yeah, about that... I don't have any..." The halfer-orc pauses for a moment. "Would you take a mace on trade? I think I can get you a mace, if you're amenable to that kind of currency."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

If he has the time, he'll return to the bilges, and retrieve one of the maces lying about amongst the crates, and return to Grok, hoping to finalize a trade.

...

Nim figures the work should be easy enough to get done, and out of the way, so he might keep working on swaying the undecideds to their side, instead of Plugg's.

Constitution Check v DC 10: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Holding his own, health-wise, Nim observes Budos talking up Samms, so he takes to Giffer, to see if he can sway the man to stay friendly.

"Pleased to meet you, Giffer. Sorry, it's been a hell of a trip, trying to settle into things. How's the sailor's life treating you?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


retired

Swabbie check (DC 10): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Brood handles his given task well in the morning and tries to learn more of Crimson Cog from those near by.
"What's that Crimson Cog's story? Any idea how he lost that ear?"
Gather Info: 1d20 ⇒ 15

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Previous night
Grok hesitates.

"I suppose a mace could be a good down payment, but the tool's worth more'n that. Still, I suppose I could loan you the gold. Still be about 50 pieces you'd owe me, but if yer amenable, that's the best I can do for you."

Day 12
Budos' genial nature continue to shine through and he quickly has Samms smiling and chatting, the woman apparently pleased to have "someone on this crate who's interested in more'n just ruttin'."

Nim has less luck, though, as Giffer seems less interested.

"Look, not for nothing and nothing against you, but I ain't interested," he says. "I don't want no trouble with you lot or with Scourge and Plugg, so just let me outta whatever you're doing, OK?"

Brood, meanwhile, finally gets the lowdown on Crimson Cogward, whose name apparently comes because his neck turns that color when he's angry ... which isn't uncommon. Unlike most of the crew, Cogward actually volunteered to serve on the Wormwood, though that's possible because he was eager to leave town quickly after coming out a little too well from one of his not-uncommon fistfights (he didn't mean for the other man to hit his head on the table and die, he claims).

He's a devout follower of Pharasma and prays regularly. Loves dark tales, too.

Mechanics:
If you make at least a DC 10 Perform (oratory) check while focusing on dark tales, you'll gain a +2 bonus on checks to influence Cog for the next 24 hours. Similarly, more warrior-like folks who intersperse their talk with grisly details of fights can gain a +2 bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks with him. However, a failed check is likely to elicit a violent response from the angry sailor.

Elsewhere, Gezza goes to try to slip into the laboratory, only to find the door locked.

Cargas, though, who looks around as he returns his gear after a successful day hunting, realizes the gallery is practically a treasure trove of possibly useful items. I'm re-including the description of the room, as it's been a while and you could potentially try to find use for something that's not "treasure"...

The cramped and chaotic kitchen holds two wooden worktables, several wooden cupboards, and two small stoves against the port wall, as well as virtually every cooking utensil imaginable and a frightening array of meat cleavers. A score of chickens and three goats wander freely throughout the chamber; the goats are meant to be caged, Cargas has learned, but have a distressing tendency to escape their bonds.

The stoves are perpetually lit, and large cauldrons bubble away atop them all times. A huge array of spices mingle with barrels of rainwater, two tuns of rum, cupboards full of ship’s biscuit and salted beef, barrels of sauerkraut, and a small supply of fresh vegetables picked up in Port Peril. Despite the chaos, the entire galley functions as a set of masterwork tools for Profession (cook) checks.[ooc] He's also become familiar from his hunting assignments that there are a trio of harpoons, a spear, and a well-made iron grappling hook attached to a 50-foot length of silk rope.

Lost amid the mess, he also discovers a masterwork dagger being used as a butcher’s knife, a pair of handaxes used as meat cleavers, 11 knives, a short sword, a vial of holy water, a good lock hanging unused off a pantry cupboard, 2 pounds of soap, four waterskins, a barrel of poor wine, six bottles of good Chelish brandy, three bottles of magnificent rum, a large cookbook, a prosthetic leg made of wood and edged with a silver band, and 12 sp fallen behind a cupboard.

Unfortunately, the rest of the night is not as good as Scourge delivers the remaining lashes he's owed, and he's again rendered unconscious by the pain. [ooc]10 hp total Gezza joins him on the whipping post; he's only due one last lash, but Scourge makes the best of it, opening up a bloody welt across the entirety of his back 5 hp nonlethal

After the bloody hour, the pirates once again gather for the usual evening's entertainment of stories and songs, Rosie playing her fiddle with abandon.

Mechanics:

Cargas: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Cargas: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Cargas: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Gezza: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

1d5 ⇒ 2

Nighttime action(s), if any.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza helps the unfortunate Cargas back to his bunk somewhat painfully himself. Once there he elects to sleep and avoid the trivialities of the ship.


retired

Brood, more comfortable now that his possessions have been returned to him, lingers on the deck as Rosie works her fiddle. After a few songs, he excuses himself and, after wandering for a bit, finds himself alone on the foredeck. Taking advantage of the cool breeze, clear sky, and Rosie's fiddle in the background, the rugged elf draws his cutlass and begins a number of stretches. After a minute, his stretches then flow into a linked series of exercises comprised of various cuts, strokes, spins, and steady footwork: his own take on the bodily rituals he'd learned at the feet of the Irorans so many years ago.

The exercise continues for quite some time and Sicarius falls into a steady rhythm, unaware that his movements are drawing attention from the deck behind him as both his blade and body cut graceful arcs through the evening air.

Entertainment (acrobatics?): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Not sure if that'll do as an entertainment check or not, but here's hoping! =)

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Only Gezza got his gear back, Brood.


Half Orc Treasure Hunter 4 | init +5, per +6 | AC 17/14/13 | HP 27 | Fort +1, Reflex +7, Will +1 | CMB +7, CMD 21

Budos continues the ritual of hauling the Cargas carcass downstairs after his whipping. "Geez, you would think he got a break after two good dinners in a row."

night action: influence

That evening Budos attempt to sway Crimson Cogward toward the group's favor. "Oye, Crimson, tell us a ghost story, something about undead pirates and cursed gold and spectral ships with black sails and a compass that appears broken but is really a magical artifact." If Crimson is partial to telling Pharasmic tales then Budos quiets the crowd and creates the setting for him.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


retired

What?! That's bullcrap! Gezza wasn't the only one who wrangled those flippin' reefclawlobstermonsters! Gah! I hate these pirates!

Brood shakes his head, banishing his thoughts and imaginings of what he'd have done if his gear had been returned like Gezza's. Frustrated at his lot, he removes himself from the group and, with his perpetual scowl, returns to his cot to brood and grump.


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Cargas rummages through the gallery with gusto, pocketing the 12 sp. The short sword, the only weapon of interest, he slides into his belt. With the coin, he seems happy that he might have enough to do some gambling tonight...until he is reminded that he still has punishment on the books.

Groaning and resisting like a 6 year old resisting a spanking, Cargas howls and screams about his lashes. He is pretty tired of the lashings and lets Scourge know about it.

His one saving pride is that he walks away from the lashes under his own power. (HP 3/13)

His nighttime activity is crying in his bunk and trying to avoid moving lest it cause more pain in his back.


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision
Grok wrote:
"I suppose a mace could be a good down payment, but the tool's worth more'n that. Still, I suppose I could loan you the gold. Still be about 50 pieces you'd owe me, but if yer amenable, that's the best I can do for you.

Nim grimaces as he hears the deal. He brightens when his fellow half-orc offers to set up a tab for his dealings. "That sounds very reasonable, I gotta admit. Thanks for helping. Don't want you risking anything for nothing, so put me down for that fifty. I'm good for it. I think it's going to a worthy cause."

Securing the mace, returning it to Grok, and obtaining the tool for scrimshaw, Nim brings the tool to Brood. "Alright. I'm in the hole for this swapping, so let's hope you can win the boy over with this."

Brood has the tool for Jack Scrimshaw, Nim owes 50gp. If it's possible to clean out all Bilge items discretely, Nim will do so, to avoid returning to collect items at a later time.

...

That evening, Nim reconsiders Giffer's words. Last guy to throw the halfer-orc the cold shoulder ended up keelhauled the next day, so something superstitious rolls over Nim, so he decides instead to investigate the cargo hold more thoroughly. At the same time, he visits with his ape.

Nighttime action- Sneak, Take 20, 27 Perception of the Cargo Hold

He wanders the cargo hold, but keeps a line-of-sight on the ape, so he can keep up his side of the conversation. He rubs his belly, points a finger at his mouth, and shrugs his shoulders.

Slaphands:

Hungry Feed Don't Know

The big ape slowly shifts his positioning in the cage, as the halfer-orc circles while looking through the contents of the Cargo Hold. He grunts, then waves his hands, then pats his large legs.

Slaphands:

Hey No Hungry Tired

Nim nods, then mimes a hard day's work on deck, then points at the ape, and quickly signs a couple of words.

Slaphands:

You Lucky No Hard Work You Me Switch Places

The ape seems to find something funny in this, and it huffs several times, while clapping strong hands together.

The conversation seems to satisfy the bored apes, caged or un-.


M Dwarf - Porter 2/Cook 2
Stats:
HP: AC 14;F7/R6/W4;Climb9;Perc9;Prof(cook/porter)7;Sailor10;Sleight10;Survival9,St ealth9;Swim7

Cargas lets loose with a nice fart when he gets back to his cot. Ain't no help for it, his pain is everyone's pain. And life was life.

Back hurts.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Oy, go stuff yourself," Cog responds. "I'm not your puppet to dance at your say-so. You want a story, go talk to Ratline. He'll tell you all about his dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Nim finds nothing new in an intensive search of the ship’s main cargo hold, as Owlbear keeps a close eye, preventing him from going up the stairs that lead to the officers' quarters and eventually the main deck.

The hold is mostly empty, save for the remaining dozen pigs and caged gorilla. Stored near the mainmast are two light ballistas, a disassembled light catapult, and 12 barrels containing 20 gallons of oil each.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Oh, hey, it'd be nice if I remembered I need to advance the game with the start to the next day, huh?

The next day, you find yourselves excused from your regular work, as Scourge sourly announces you're to be trained in boarding.

"Hopefully you can stay awake for it," he snarls with evident malice in his voice.

You're presented to Riaris Krine, the Wormwood’s master gunner. You've seen her before but she's made no effort to interact with you or any of the rest of the crew, spending her time with the other officers.

Despite missing one of her legs beneath the knee, she moves with ease around the ship, leading you to the jolly boat as the sun crests the horizon.

"Well, you f+$&ers, what the g$!-d%@n f@** are you f@!+ing waiting for?" she screams. "Get the f#$&ing boat in the water, you c$@+%%+~@~s! You two -- greenskin and longears, get in. No, bring the grapples with you, a@*~@!~s."

She stops her yelling for a moment as you work, talking to Badger Medlar and Fipps Chumley, who stop their work. By the time you've lowered the boat, they return, laden with buckets full of some foul refuse. A quick glance reveals a variety of rotting food, garbage, empty
bottles, and buckets of what you'd guess is bilgewater.

"You two d~~&***s are going to row out 40 feet," she tells Nimrod and Brood. "See if you can't hit the Wormwood with your grapples. Then tie the f!@$ers off, and climb over here."

"Chumley and you three a#%&!@#s," she says, pointing to Cargas, Gezza and Budos. "Let them know what the f&#* boarding a ship is really f%**ing like. There's your ammunition, make sure you hit. Anyone who doesn't will find himself on the whipping post tonight."

Fipps grins as he realizes he can take out his frustration on your with impunity, hefting a barrel of bilgewater.

Mechanics:

1d5 ⇒ 5
1d5 ⇒ 4
1d17 ⇒ 9

OK, so Nim and Brood are going out first. Throwing a grappling hook requires a ranged attack roll, treating the hook as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. The Wormwood’s rail is AC 5 but you'll have a –6 on your attack rolls due to range. If you hit, you must tie off the rope as a move action, then shimmy along the rope, requiring DC 15 Climb checks.

While you're doing that, the rest of you "get" to throw trash (which counts as an improvised weapon) at them. You can try to miss, but need a Bluff check to make it convincing. Let me know who you're throwing at. Any character struck must make a DC 10 Reflex save or lose his grip and fall into the water.


Male Human Carpentry Enthusiast 5 - HP 27/27; AC 12, T 12, FF 10, CMB +4, CMD 16; F+1, R+3, W+5; Perc +1, Init +2;
Spells:
0-know direction, stabilize, ray of frost, read magic; 1-mage armor, color spray x2,hydraulic push*, alter winds; 2-levitate, scor ray, gust of wind, prot from arrows*; 3-fireball x2, wind wall*

Gezza smiles politely at the foul-mouthed woman. "Ah, such sweet sounds. If I had a mother, I'm sure she would sound just like you, Master Gunner." He hefts the bucket and sighs deeply. He'll reel back and toss it at Nim first!

Messy bucket of chum!: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 2 - 4 = 10


Half-Orc AWOL Circus Performer 3
Stat Bar:
HP: 25, AC: 17(t 13, f14), F 3, R 6, W 4, Init +3, Perception 9, Darkvision

Round 1, Hook the Rope

Status:

AC = 13
HP = 9/9
Weapon Equipped = Grappling Hook
Condition(s) = Animal Focus, Monkey (+4 to Climb)

The halfer-orc does his share of the rowing, getting set up at the suitable distance.

Nim looks at Brood, and smiles toothily. "Glad you're not throwing at me, is all I've got to say." He points at Gezza, as the skinny man tosses wide, and chuckles. He yells up at the tossers.

"Nothing personal, right? We'll be in opposite shoes in just a bit, so let us have it!!"

Ranged Grapple Hook Toss v AC 5: 1d20 + 3 - 6 ⇒ (16) + 3 - 6 = 13 Standard Action

Securing his grapple Move Action, he grunts with satisfaction, and nods to Brood to get going. Two targets are always better than one...

Climb Check: 1d20 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 4 = 27 Lemme know if more than one is needed... please, don't let more than one be needed...

351 to 400 of 1,545 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's Skull and Shackles PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.