Mothman's Jade Regent

Game Master Mothman

Jade Regent Adventure Path
Licktoad village map


51 to 100 of 994 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"Always, Mother, especially when there is such need," Haelynn says as she guides Tannithil back to his seat, and sits down beside him, "Come, my friend, rest and we shall watch over Ameiko together," she says gently.

I wonder what trouble stirred up the goblins this time?


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

Haelynn smiles initially as Yumi enters the chamber, and looks shocked as her sister dumps a pile of books into her lap. "Yumi!" she exclaims, and partially stands to hug her sister, holding a well-loved copy of Melodies of Inner Beauty in her hand. "You brought it! Thank y... Why do you smell like horse dung?"


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"Is that Ameiko?"

"Yes, it is," Haelynn says, looking at their wounded friend, "She is resting in the care of the gods now, may the Eternal Rose preserve her."

Oh, no...

Looking towards the door, Haelynn stiffens as a familiar figure walks into the room...


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"Greetings Tannithil, I am Marc."

The sound of books hitting the marble floor of the temple echoes though the quiet chamber. Haelynn looks self-conscious as she momentarily closes her eyes, having forgot the books she was half-nursing, half-hugging against her body as Marc d'Laurac strides in and towards Tannithil... and her! Absently, Haelynn touches her collar, her cheek, and a strand of dark hair, suddenly yearning for a mirror, comb and her red robes.

"I...I..." she stammers, takes a breath and smooths out her robes before continuing, "Ameiko and Tannithil were attacked by goblins, and were wounded in the melee. They were brought here to be tended by Mother Koya and Father Zantus."

I hope this does not agitate Tannithil, he needs to rest and renew his perspective of this situation. Fall seven times and stand up eight.

She looks at Tannithil, with concern. "I believe it was the goblins, I am not certain. If it was those creatures, I wonder what has stirred them up? We should be cautious before we commit ourselves to violence."


Female Tiefling (oni/tian-min) Wizard (spellslinger) 1 (HP 7/7 AC:15 T:13 F:12 Sves F:+1 R:+3 W:+2 CMB:-1 CMD:12 Init:+3 Perc: +5) ; Itchy (-2 Dex, -2 Cha)

Yumiko sees that everyone is flustered and worried but will be okay. "What's that thing tha keep saying Haelynn? 'Us get knocked down, but us get up again. Tha ain't never gonna keep us's down?'"

She frowns at the agitated Tannithil. "'Though, ofttimes 'tis bettersome to make the other whoreson do the fallin', just singularly and permanentlike."


"Where are my manners?" Marc looks remiss as Haelynn addresses him. He takes her hand and bows low over it. "I feel as I already know you and your sister through our mutual friendship with Koya, though we have never formerly met. I am Marc, and it is a pleasure to finally meet you, though I wish it were under other circumstances."

His eyes dart over to the injured Ameiko. "I agree that something must be stirring them up. And if they have managed to injure Ameiko, then the militia may be facing more than they can manage. Those I passed on the way over appeared neither overly eager nor particularly competent."


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"You mean, fall seven times and stand up eight?" Haelynn replies, glancing at Yumi... and suddenly feeling a wave of heat rise from her collar as the knight takes her hand and bows low over it. "Yes, well, we have also heard many tales about you as well, Sir..." What are you saying? "I mean, your reputation proceeds you, and yes... Mother Koya has spoken quite highly of you in the past... yes, the circumstances are not the best, though Ameiko and Tannithil are in good hands..." By the gods, what are you doing?


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

Looking back at Tannithil, she turns back to face Marc, "If something is stirring them up, the town may well be in danger. I am not too familiar with the strength of the militia, yet there are limits to Sheriff Hemlock's manpower and resources." She pauses, coming to some sort of decision, "It might be more effective for a smaller force to retrace their..." she nods towards Tannithil, "...steps and see what we might uncover? If there is something stirring up the goblins, it might be best to determine what it is first?"


Male Musetouched (Azata-blooded Aasimar) Bard 1

Xargin slows as he approaches the cathedral, allowing Beda to catch up as he strides through the entrance.

"Hurry now! Where is our sister?!" he demands as Beda takes the lead. While she leads him through the hall, he looks around.

This is the first time he's been here since he left town over a decade earlier. He's struck by the beauty of the building, but hurries on, too concerned for his sister's well-being to take the time to truly admire it. What he's really looking for is signs of unusual activity, anything that can give him a hint as to what's happened.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Assuming Beda leads Xargin directly to Ameiko: When he reaches Ameiko's side, Xargin removes his mask, kneels down next to the bed, takes her hand and starts to whisper quietly to himself.

Inside Xargin's head (feel free to read):
Is she dead? Dying? She looks like she could be...
She lives yet... Gods willing, she will for a long time to come. I cannot lose her...
You'll make us jealous, talking that way. You know that none love you as well as we do, and to hear you speak of someone other than us in such a manner is... upsetting.
It is different. You are with me always, no matter what. Though I may profess to wish otherwise at times, you will never be lost to me, and that is a comfort. Ameiko is my... our... sister. Flesh and blood, with all the fragility that entails. She can be taken away. She can leave, as I once did. If that were to happen, I think it would break me, more than I already am.
We... understand. We shall leave you be for now, but we are here if you need us, as always.
Thank you...

Anyone who notices Xargin walking in sees a slender, slightly taller than average man walk in, wearing a well-cut but simple entertainers outfit comprised of a high-collared tunic in a black and white harlequin pattern, plain black trousers, and soft leather gloves and boots. A black and white patchwork cloak is thrown over his shoulders. His face is currently covered with a black and white mask, with only his dark eyes visible through it. His shoulder length pure white hair is kept loose, but is tucked back between his ears, which are pointed, though not to the extent of an elven ears. The right ear is scarred, and looks to have been burnt. When he removes his mask, it becomes apparent that the right side of his face has been badly burnt in the past. Though the appearance is not truly grotesque, it's permanently scarred, and shows significantly less expression than the unmarred left side. His skin is pale, and almost seems to glow, though it's faint enough that it could just be a trick of the light. Between his build and the pointed ears, he could be mistaken for a half-elf, though something about his looks suggests there may be something else in his heritage. Though his face is normally lively, right now his expression is somber.

Not sure how good that description is, so here's the picture I have of him (ignore the ghosty things around him, that's from an earlier version of the character). Linky linky


Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1

Grendel slows his pace as he enters the cathedral, looking around appraisingly. His curiosity had drawn him here before, and wonders again how hard it would be to remove some of the smaller statues or gold work.

Where to sell them though? he wondered.

He follows a short way behind Xargin, but hangs back to study the assembled group as Xargin rushes to his sisters side.

He recognises all of the faces, knows some of them by reputation, though has only spent any real time with Koya. He circles around the group to the old woman, nodding in greeting. "How is she? Shalelu will want to know." He adds quickly, as if not wanting to suggest he has a personal interest in to the patients well being.

Those who look in Grendel's direction see the small, slender form of the halfling, who's wavy blonde hair falls to his shoulders. He is dressed simply in well worn and patched clothing, the hilt of a blade showing under his cloak. A faint smirk seems to be permanently fixed to the halflings face, though the viewer gets the feeling that the expression could turn quickly into a sneer.

Anyone who has spent a decent amount of time in Sandpoint would probably know of Grendel. Feel free to peruse the background:

background:

Grendel has been a visible fixture of Sandpoint for some years now. There is much mystery around his arrival in the small town, and his parentage. He simply turned up one day, a little thing, 6, 7, maybe 8 years old? He was seen wandering the streets, playing and playful, begging a scrap of food here, or making off with something more substantial there. Residents looked on with various levels of disapproval at the boy whose parents clearly had little regard for his safety or wellbeing while they visited Sandpoint. As time went on, and the boy became more ragged and wild (and more importantly, didn't leave), people began to wonder; who were the boy’s parents?
After some unfruitful discussions with the boy himself, followed by some greater investigation into the matter, it was decided that he didn’t have any, at least not in Sandpoint. Speculation ragged for a few weeks as to how the little Halfling boy had arrived. Some said his wild temperament and wandering hands had been too much for his parents to take and they had dumped him on the town. Others claimed that a Halfling merchant must be the parent, and that the child must have left the ship unannounced before they set sail. Maybe they thought he had gone overboard and drowned, and that is why they had not returned to claim him? Still more asserted that he was the sole survivor of a ship that had fallen victim to the fierce storms that wracked the coast around the time he showed up. A final theory was that the boy was the spawn of Norgorber himself. The supporters of this idea generally shouted it angrily at Grendel when they believed (usually correctly) that he had taken something of theirs.

Like the boys origin, it is not sure exactly how he came by the name Grendel. Clearly someone sick of the boy must have used the name initially, and it stuck. Varisian for ‘monster’ or ‘wicked spirit,’ the name seemed to sum up the Halfling well for many of the towns folk. Though a few of his supporters tried to dissuade him from doing so, Grendel began using the name himself from an early age, and has stuck with it ever since. He says he doesn’t remember his original name, if indeed he was ever named, and that this name has a ring of infamy to it, apparently a desirable trait.

Grendel has been a nuisance around Sandpoint since that time; the authorities and do-gooders of the town attempted to place him with adoptive parents several times over the early years, but after a week or 2, Grendel would be sleeping on the streets again, and using his wits and tricks to keep himself fed. These years were a struggle, and honed the boys guile and street smarts. Being smaller and weaker than almost everyone else, Grendel learned that you did whatever you needed to do to survive – fight dirty if you could win that way, run or hide if you couldn't. During this time he even stayed with Koya Mvashti, one of the few adults in the town who he respected enough to heed. He stayed with the old women for almost 6 months (a record!) but even she eventually lost his interest, and he was soon back to his old ways.

As he grew Grendel began to spend more time in the wilds surrounding Sandpoint, first as a hiding place when disgruntled townsfolk accused him of theft, but soon simply for the joy of it, or for an adventure. It was in this setting that he started to interact with Shalelu. Unlike other adults, even Koya, Shalelu didn’t seem to expect anything from Grendel. She offered to teach him things, without ‘strings attached’ as was his previous experiences. He took to her quickly, and she found him a capable student in many areas, such as sword play, hunting and survival. Their meetings were chance and intermittent to begin with, but soon he was seeking her out, and even travelling with her when she left the town. Ironically, in the wilderness he learned how to be a better citizen of the town. The skills he learned in survival kept him well fed, and even allowed him to earn some money, meaning he no longer relied on theft. While perhaps not a model citizen, his time with Shalelu levelled Grendel out, and gave him some guidelines in which to live his life. Indeed Sheriff Hemlock has been heard to remark on more than one occasion that Shalelu’s greatest boon to the town was ridding them of Grendel, rather than goblins as some claimed.

From this time, Grendel split his time between travel with Shalelu and life in town. He tried to settle into a more regular job, though stuck with few for long. He worked for Sandru’s caravan (work only offered on Koya’s instance, he was sure), tried his hand at performing tricks and acrobatics in some of the taverns, and worked for the towns lock smith (who coincidently lost a prized set of his tools a short time later) but sooner or later would simply not show up for work, and head out to the wild. Shalelu always accepted his unexpected company without question or criticism, and this cemented his loyalty to the ranger.


The acolyte Beda leads Xargin quickly through the western hall of the Cathedral. Despite the beauty of this hall, Xargin has little time to take things in as he hurries after Beda.

Beda leads Xargin into a hospice room in the smaller northern wing of the Cathedral. The room is surprisingly crowded, but he only really has eyes for his sister, and races to her side. As Xargin whispers, Ameiko stirs and groans slightly – whether due to Xargin’s whispering, or due to Father Zanthus working on her injured leg – but does not awaken.


Father Zanthus at last gives a somewhat satisfied sigh, straighten up, thanks the acolytes who were assisting him, and looks about. “Ah, you must be Ameiko’s brother,” he says, addressing Xargin. “Your sister should make a full recovery, if Desna smiles, but she is lucky to be alive. She was hovering near Pharasma’s door when she was brought to us – it is fortunate indeed that her bodyguard got her here when he did. Our healing magic was able to alleviate most of her wounds, however she had a very badly broken leg bone. Now, it takes quite powerful healing spells to completely mend a complex break; we have done as much as we can, but Ameiko will need to stay off the leg for at least a few days – and get some proper rest – if it is to heal properly and completely.”

Koya Mvashti walks forward and rests a hand briefly on Xargin’s shoulder. “We’ve given her a sleeping draught to help her rest – that is the best thing for her now,” the old woman says. She turns towards the others in the room, several of whom are talking amongst themselves. “Excessive noise may yet wake her though,” she adds. “Can I request that if plans are being made – and I certainly approve of any ideas to remove or limit the goblin threat – they be made elsewhere?”


Note: The information in my third post of the thread is fairly common knowledge around town (at least to anyone who has been in town for the past two weeks or so and has not been a total recluse).

Any character may make Knowledge Local, Nature or Geography checks to see what they know of Brinestump Marsh, or a separate Knowledge Local check to see what they know about the Licktoad goblins. These checks can be made untrained to reveal basic information. Making Diplomacy checks to gather information about these topics or general rumours from NPCs in town about such topics is also an option.


Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1

Local knowledge checks on the following

Brinestump Marsh: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Licktoad goblins: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


The entrance of Xargin and the completion of work by Father Zanthus causes Marc to pause in his conversation with Haelynn.

'Yes of course, Koya," he replies softly when the older woman suggests that they find an alternate setting. "Perhaps we should retire to the Rusty Dragon to discuss what can be done? Assuming it is still open, that is? The Dragon may present an opportunity to glean some more information about the golbin's activities?"

Untrained Knowledge checks:
Brinestone Marsh: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Licktoad goblins: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Diplomacy check if opportunity arises:
General Rumours: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Female Tiefling (oni/tian-min) Wizard (spellslinger) 1 (HP 7/7 AC:15 T:13 F:12 Sves F:+1 R:+3 W:+2 CMB:-1 CMD:12 Init:+3 Perc: +5) ; Itchy (-2 Dex, -2 Cha)

Brinestump Marsh:
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Licktoad Goblins:
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

The break in conversation allows Haelynn to take a step back and reassess the room. She looks down at Tannithil in concern, and listens as Marc suggests the Rusty Dragon as a more appropriate place to discuss the threats to Sandpoint. "Yes, the Dragon would be more appropriate, and some food might help some of us gain a better perspective on our future actions," she says, turning to Tannithil, "Wishing to eat the fugu, but wishing to live too."


Male Musetouched (Azata-blooded Aasimar) Bard 1

Xargin stops whispering, nodding in response to what Father Zanthus and Koya have to say. He places Ameiko's hand back by her side, stands and gives each of them a slight bow.

"Thank you both. We appreciate all you have done for our sister. We shall take our leave, and allow her to rest, but please, send for us if anything changes."

Assuming Xargin can hear Marc's comment about moving to the Rusty Dragon: Xargin gently runs his hand over Ameiko's forehead, then turns to the others, his expression cold. He approaches Marc and Haelyn, speaking softly but forcefully.

"Whatever you have planned, we are joining you. No one hurts our sister. We shall meet you at the Dragon."

As he finishes speaking, he replaces his mask and begins to leave.

If no one stops him:Xargin turns on his heel and walks away through the cathedral. He takes the shortest route back to the Dragon, grabs a lyre that Ameiko keeps behind the bar (Mothman, I'm making an assumption here that she does keep a variety of instruments around, given that she's a bard as well and Xargin is performing regularly to earn his keep), sits in a corner and, without bothering to remove his mask, begins to play a soft, gentle tune, quietly accompanied by a subdued song in Celestial.

Perform (Strings): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Perform (Sing): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

While he plays, Xargin is wracking his brain to see what knowledge he can dredge up about Brinestump Marsh and the Licktoad clan of goblins.

Brinestump Marsh:
Knowledge (Geography): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Licktoad goblins:
Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

Haelynn watches Xargin leave. Yet another victim of this violence. I hope they don't do anything rash.

"Well, I am heading to the Dragon," she announces, her voice betraying her concern, "Come Tannithil, let's nourish our bodies and our spirits. Yumi, are you coming?"

She looks at the Halfling and the knight, "If we are going to investigate the marsh and goblins, we could use gentlemen of your accomplishments. Will you join us?"


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

Untrained skill checks:
Knowledge (geography) Brinestump Marsh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Knowledge (local) Brinestump Marsh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Knowledge (nature) Brinestump Marsh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
Knowledge (local) Licktoad goblins: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

Haelynn is concerned for Tannithil and Xargin. She tries to hurry everyone along so she can find Ameiko's brother.


Female Tiefling (oni/tian-min) Wizard (spellslinger) 1 (HP 7/7 AC:15 T:13 F:12 Sves F:+1 R:+3 W:+2 CMB:-1 CMD:12 Init:+3 Perc: +5) ; Itchy (-2 Dex, -2 Cha)
Haelynn Kita wrote:
"Wishing to eat the fugu, but wishing to live too."

"What us's sister means is - 'She don't like that kind of behaviour. So, throw down your guns. Don't be so reckless'".

Yumiko surreptitiously retrieves her boot, and then trails along behind the group as they make their way to the tavern.


Seated on the wooden pew next to Haleyn, Tannithil fixes his gaze upon the exchange between the new arrivals. Once he nods his greeting to each, he closes his eyes, concentrating hard on his recollection of the events that saw he and Ameiko brought here.

Mothman - can I can recall any particular details about the attack?

Knowledge - (geography) Brinestump Marsh 1d20 + 2 => (13) + 2 = 15

In response to Haelynn's prompt and despite his discomfort in leaving Ameiko in the the company of others Tannithil stands, tying his long silver hair in a knot. Placing one hand on his koshirae (scabbard) the other over his chest, he bows in response to Haleyn's invitation before indicating her to lead on in the direction of the Rusty Dragon.


Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1
Haelynn Kita wrote:


She looks at the Halfling and the knight, "If we are going to investigate the marsh and goblins, we could use gentlemen of your accomplishments. Will you join us?"

Grendel nods, relieved at being included. There was some kind of bounty for goblins wasn't there? Instead of voicing that sentiment, he instead nods, and again invokes his mentors name, as if trying to justify his inclusion in the party. "I'm sure Shalelu would come herself if she were here, but I know the lands around here as well as she does"

bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

He trails Haelynn to the Dragon.


Haelynn Kita wrote:
She looks at the Halfling and the knight, "If we are going to investigate the marsh and goblins, we could use gentlemen of your accomplishments. Will you join us?"

"I will join you at the dragon"

Marc ushers Haelynn and all of the remaining group through the door, before nodding respectfully to Father Zanthus and Koya and departing the room himself.

He follows the others down to the Dragon, hearing Xargin's mournful ballad as they near the tavern. Hairs stand up on the back of his neck from the haunting beauty of the lute, and the concern evident in the bard's vocal only serves to enhance the performance in Marc's opinion.

assuming nothing prevents him Within the bar Marc looks for an empty table and gathers the additional chairs needed to seat the group. He ushers them to sit, then goes to the bar and quietly asks the barkeep to bring out breakfast for the table, handing over the required coins.


Xargin takes his leave of the others at the Cathedral and returns – quickly, via the back laneways – to Ameiko’s inn.

The Rusty Dragon is housed in a large, rambling wooden building on Market Street, close to the southern entrance to town, easily recognised thanks to the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building’s roof. Inside, the main common room is far from busy this morning, with only a few locals and visitors enjoying the breakfast of rolled omelettes, spiced steamed spinach, warm bread and small spiced lamb sausages. Several long tables in the middle of the room and some booth seating along one side remain unoccupied, as do the tall stools along a portion of the main bar where an elderly halfling serving maid keeps an eye on the room.

Xargin nods briefly to Bethana (the halfling woman), and retrieves one Ameiko’s old instruments from behind the bar. Ameiko herself favours their mother’s beautiful antique samisen, but there is an old battered lyre behind the bar – one of several instruments Ameiko keeps for playing more Avistani or in this case Casmaroni music. This one is on the verge of falling apart, and was severely out of tune before Xargin began using it over the past few weeks.

Despite the decrepit state of his instrument, Xargin is able to coax an absolutely beautiful, gentle melody from the lyre, and several of the inn’s morning patrons look up from their breakfast, mesmerised by the music. Unfortunately, in his agitated state Xargin’s voice does not match the beauty of the music as he has trouble properly enunciating the delicate and joyful Celestial lyrics due to the sadness in his voice.


Haelynn does her best to gather everyone else together and hurry them back to the Rusty Dragon, hoping to catch Xargin, but a group rarely moves as quickly as an individual, and it takes a few minutes for everyone to get back out of the Cathedral.

The group heads back down Festival Street towards Market Street and the inn. As they pass through the bustling farmer’s market, Marc pauses as he hears some locals gossiping about the recent goblin attacks. Seeing his interest, the pair are only too happy to give the young cavalier their opinions on the matter.

Marc:
“The Licktoad Goblins have never been much of a problem before, but now that they’ve found all those fireworks, they seem braver, that’s for sure. Some folks say that they’ve even learned how to make them, and that they’re getting ready set Sandpoint on fire!”


Grendel:
Brinestump Marsh is south of Sandpoint, near the Lost Coast Road. Brinestump Marsh may not be as large as the Mushfens farther to the south, but the swamp is dense and tangled. It’s easy to get lost in the place. No one’s made a really detailed map of Brinestump—there’s been no need, since there’s not much of value within. The Licktoad goblins lair somewhere within the marsh.

Several local fishermen swear by the fine fishing in the swamp, using a trail to access the marsh’s best fishing holes. But if anyone knows his way around in the marsh, it’d be that old eccentric halfling Walthus Proudstump, the self-appointed “warden” of the swamp. He comes into town to sell snake skins every couple of months, but it’s said he lives in a shack somewhere in the northern half of the marsh. The trail that the fishermen use also leads to Walthus Proudstump’s shack. The fishermen used to use another trail, but its use dropped off decades ago.

For the past 3 years, fishermen and farmers have told stories of a pale monster with legs that bend like a dog’s, that dresses in rags, and that hunts along the shores of the Soggy River. Sightings of the so-called “Soggy River Monster” are most common near Brinestump Marsh, causing most to believe the creature dwells somewhere in the swamp. The Soggy River Monster has been blamed for at least five disappearances over the past year, although Sandpoint’s militia suspects these disappearances are, in fact, simply bored sons and daughters running away from home to seek an exciting life in Magnimar.

Goblins have lived along the Lost Coast for as long as anyone can remember. They tend to be cruel but foolish, and are generally only considered dangerous in large numbers, or if united under a strong leader … or if backed into a corner. They are about the size of halflings, and typically have grey skin, proportionally large heads, and wide, flat faces. Goblins tend to be too lazy and stupid to make things for themselves from scratch, preferring to cobble together tools, clothing and even weapons from what they can scavenge or steal from others.

There are over a dozen goblin tribes living in the hinterlands around Sandpoint, but the various tribes rarely (if ever) work together.

The four largest goblin tribes in the vicinity of Sandpoint are the Birdcruncher, Licktoad, Mosswood, and Seven Tooth tribes (a fifth tribe, the Thistletops, were all but wiped out by a band of adventurers several years ago). Thought to be based somewhere in the Brinestump Marsh, the Licktoads lair quite close to Sandpoint, but until recently have not been considered a particular threat. The Licktoad goblins are known to be led by a particularly fat goblin warrior called Chief Rendwattle Gutwad. The Licktoads appear to have recently gotten their hands on a cache of fireworks, which has made them bold and dangerous.

Goblins seem to particularly hate (and fear) dogs and horses … and writing.

The Licktoads have recently been attacking travellers along the Lost Coast Road near Brinestump Marsh. It’s thought that part of the reason the Licktoads haven’t posed much of a threat to Sandpoint in the past is that there is a lot of infighting within the tribe. The Licktoads have stories of a local ‘bogeyman’ who also lives in the marsh – said to be a cannibal goblin who preys on small or weak members of the tribe. The goblins also frequently fall afoul of some of the more dangerous animals that inhabit the marsh, such as snakes and giant vermin.

The Licktoad’s lair is said to be a village of crude wooden huts set atop stilts above the water and mud, somewhere near the centre of the marsh.


Marc:
Brinestump Marsh lies a couple of miles south of town, just past Ashen Moor, between the Lost Coast Road and Sog’s Bay.

Goblins have lived along the Lost Coast for as long as anyone can remember. They tend to be cruel but foolish, and are generally only considered dangerous in large numbers, or if united under a strong leader … or if backed into a corner. They are about the size of halflings, and typically have grey skin, proportionally large heads, and wide, flat faces. Goblins tend to be too lazy and stupid to make things for themselves from scratch, preferring to cobble together tools, clothing and even weapons from what they can scavenge or steal from others.

There are over a dozen goblin tribes living in the hinterlands around Sandpoint, but the various tribes rarely (if ever) work together.


Yumiko:
Brinestump Marsh is south of Sandpoint, near the Lost Coast Road a couple of miles south of town, just past Ashen Moor, between the Lost Coast Road and Sog’s Bay. Brinestump Marsh may not be as large as the Mushfens farther to the south, but the swamp is dense and tangled. It’s easy to get lost in the place. No one’s made a really detailed map of Brinestump—there’s been no need, since there’s not much of value within. The marsh itself is bounded on its southern edge by a cliff that rises an average of 40 feet from the wetlands below to the moors above. The Soggy River runs into and through the marsh into Sog’s Bay. No one’s made a really detailed map of Brinestump—there’s been no need, since there’s not much of value within. The Licktoad goblins lair somewhere within the marsh.

Several local fishermen swear by the fine fishing in the swamp, using a trail to access the marsh’s best fishing holes One of these trails, known locally as the New Fish Trail, enters Brinestump Marsh from the Lost Coast Road near the northern tip of the marsh.
But if anyone knows his way around in the marsh, it’d be that old eccentric halfling Walthus Proudstump, the self-appointed “warden” of the swamp. He comes into town to sell snake skins every couple of months, but it’s said he lives in a shack somewhere in the northern half of the marsh. The trail that the fishermen use also leads to Walthus Proudstump’s shack. The fishermen used to use another trail, but its use dropped off decades ago. This older, mostly disused trail known as the Old Fish Trail, enters the marsh from the Lost Coast Road, about a quarter of a mile past the turn off to the Algoti farmstead.

For the past 3 years, fishermen and farmers have told stories of a pale monster with legs that bend like a dog’s, that dresses in rags, and that hunts along the shores of the Soggy River. Sightings of the so-called “Soggy River Monster” are most common near Brinestump Marsh, causing most to believe the creature dwells somewhere in the swamp. The Soggy River Monster has been blamed for at least five disappearances over the past year, although Sandpoint’s militia suspects these disappearances are, in fact, simply bored sons and daughters running away from home to seek an exciting life in Magnimar.

There’s said to be someone else that lives in the marsh other than Walthus; Old Megus the Swamp Witch. There’s said to be a trail from somewhere along the southern edge of the swamp that leads to her home. She used to come into town occasionally for supplies, but no one’s seen her in years. Something more dangerous than goblins and witches might lurk in the western part of the swamp – ever since Sandpoint’s founding, many of those who were brave enough to venture into the area either never came back, or came back … different somehow.

Goblins have lived along the Lost Coast for as long as anyone can remember. They tend to be cruel but foolish, and are generally only considered dangerous in large numbers, or if united under a strong leader … or if backed into a corner. They are about the size of halflings, and typically have grey skin, proportionally large heads, and wide, flat faces. Goblins tend to be too lazy and stupid to make things for themselves from scratch, preferring to cobble together tools, clothing and even weapons from what they can scavenge or steal from others.

There are over a dozen goblin tribes living in the hinterlands around Sandpoint, but the various tribes rarely (if ever) work together.

The four largest goblin tribes in the vicinity of Sandpoint are the Birdcruncher, Licktoad, Mosswood, and Seven Tooth tribes (a fifth tribe, the Thistletops, were all but wiped out by a band of adventurers several years ago). Thought to be based somewhere in the Brinestump Marsh, the Licktoads lair quite close to Sandpoint, but until recently have not been considered a particular threat. The Licktoad goblins are known to be led by a particularly fat goblin warrior called Chief Rendwattle Gutwad. The Licktoads appear to have recently gotten their hands on a cache of fireworks, which has made them bold and dangerous.

Goblins seem to particularly hate (and fear) dogs and horses … and writing.

The Licktoads have recently been attacking travellers along the Lost Coast Road near Brinestump Marsh. It’s thought that part of the reason the Licktoads haven’t posed much of a threat to Sandpoint in the past is that there is a lot of infighting within the tribe. The Licktoads have stories of a local ‘bogeyman’ who also lives in the marsh – said to be a cannibal goblin who preys on small or weak members of the tribe. The goblins also frequently fall afoul of some of the more dangerous animals that inhabit the marsh, such as snakes and giant vermin.

The Licktoad’s lair is said to be a village of crude wooden huts set atop stilts above the water and mud, somewhere near the centre of the marsh.


Xargin:
Brinestump Marsh lies a couple of miles south of town, just past Ashen Moor, between the Lost Coast Road and Sog’s Bay. It may not be as large as the Mushfens farther to the south, but the swamp is dense and tangled. It’s easy to get lost in the place. No one’s made a really detailed map of Brinestump—there’s been no need, since there’s not much of value within. The marsh itself is bounded on its southern edge by a cliff that rises an average of 40 feet from the wetlands below to the moors above. The Soggy River runs into and through the marsh into Sog’s Bay.

There are a few trails through the marsh, used by local fishermen. One of these, known locally as the New Fish Trail, enters Brinestump Marsh from the Lost Coast Road near the northern tip of the marsh.

An older, mostly disused trail known as the Old Fish Trail, enters the marsh from the Lost Coast Road, about a quarter of a mile past the turn off to the Algoti farmstead.

Goblins have lived along the Lost Coast for as long as anyone can remember. They tend to be cruel but foolish, and are generally only considered dangerous in large numbers, or if united under a strong leader … or if backed into a corner. They are about the size of halflings, and typically have grey skin, proportionally large heads, and wide, flat faces. Goblins tend to be too lazy and stupid to make things for themselves from scratch, preferring to cobble together tools, clothing and even weapons from what they can scavenge or steal from others.

There are over a dozen goblin tribes living in the hinterlands around Sandpoint, but the various tribes rarely (if ever) work together.
The four largest goblin tribes in the vicinity of Sandpoint are the Birdcruncher, Licktoad, Mosswood, and Seven Tooth tribes (a fifth tribe, the Thistletops, were all but wiped out by a band of adventurers several years ago). Thought to be based somewhere in the Brinestump Marsh, the Licktoads lair quite close to Sandpoint, but until recently have not been considered a particular threat. The Licktoad goblins are known to be led by a particularly fat goblin warrior called Chief Rendwattle Gutwad. The Licktoads appear to have recently gotten their hands on a cache of fireworks, which has made them bold and dangerous.

Goblins seem to particularly hate (and fear) dogs and horses … and writing.

The Licktoads have recently been attacking travellers along the Lost Coast Road near Brinestump Marsh,

It’s thought that part of the reason the Licktoads haven’t posed much of a threat to Sandpoint in the past is that there is a lot of infighting within the tribe. The Licktoads have stories of a local ‘bogeyman’ who also lives in the marsh – said to be a cannibal goblin who preys on small or weak members of the tribe. The goblins also frequently fall afoul of some of the more dangerous animals that inhabit the marsh, such as snakes and giant vermin.

The Licktoad’s lair is said to be a village of crude wooden huts set atop stilts above the water and mud, somewhere near the centre of the marsh.


Haelynn:
Brinestump Marsh is south of Sandpoint, near the Lost Coast Road. It’s said that a tribe of goblins lair somewhere within the marsh.


Tannithil:
Brinestump Marsh may not be as large as the Mushfens farther to the south, but the swamp is dense and tangled. It’s easy to get lost in the place. No one’s made a really detailed map of Brinestump—there’s been no need, since there’s not much of value within. The marsh itself is bounded on its southern edge by a cliff that rises an average of 40 feet from the wetlands below to the moors above. The Soggy River runs into and through the marsh into Sog’s Bay.


Male Musetouched (Azata-blooded Aasimar) Bard 1

Xargin lets the song trail off a short while after the others have entered the inn. He walks to the bar and pours a glass of wine for himself(if Bethena gives him any disapproving looks, he's ignoring them) and joins the group at their table.

Removing his mask and placing it on the table in front of him, he throws back a good portion of the wine in a single swallow, then resumes plucking softly at the lyre as he listens to the conversation taking place.

The look on his face is sad and distant, in contrast the the cold fury that filled his expression back at the cathedral.

Xargin will stay quiet for the first little bit of the planning, though if anyone has questions regarding the area or the Licktoads, he willingly shares his knowledge of them.


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

As the doors of the Rusty Dragon open, Haelynn is immediately swept away by the haunting beauty of Xargin's melody. She closes her eyes for a moment, focusing only on the music. Let flow in the water!

"Thank you, Sir Marc," she says, opening her eyes and smiling at the knight. She takes a seat next to Tannithil, and shares her smile with the troubled warrior. "Wake from death and return to life, my friend. Your mistress lives, your brave heart still beats, and you now have allies who will stand with you."

Turning to her sister, Haelynn crinkles her nose as the faint smell of manure lingers in the air. She smiles as she notices her sister has rediscovered her missing boot. We must not poke the bush for the sake of poking, or the snake will come out.


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"Your sister will make a full recovery, Xargin," Haelynn says, reaching across the table to place a hand on his, "Father Zanthus and Mother Koya are skilled healers, and have shared the blessings of the Mother Moon with Ameiko." She looks at her companions, seated around the table, "We must be restrained in our response to this violence, we do not know why the goblins attacked. If there is a cause beyond common banditry, or ferity, we should try to uncover it before bringing unnecessary conflict between Sandpoint and the Licktoad goblins."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


Tannithil Adachi wrote:


Mothman - can I can recall any particular details about the attack?

Knowledge - (geography) Brinestump Marsh 1d20 + 2 => (13) + 2 = 15

Tannithil:
The road was passing east of Brinestump Marsh when you were attacked; you were heading north towards Sandpoint, and had crossed the Foxglove River, and had not reached Soggy River.

You’re not too sure how many goblins attacked you, but you think it must have been about fifteen, if not more. At least one of them used some sort of magic or device that caused a colourful explosion (that burned Ameiko and frightened the horses), and several were armed with tube-like devices that shot sparks. Most of the rest were armed with small, crude swords.

There was something odd about how the fight ended; you had initially assumed that you standing back up and facing them beside Ameiko was enough to scare them off, but now, thinking back, you are not so sure. You think possibly some additional goblins arrived, possibly calling your attackers away for some reason – though you’re not certain if that even makes sense.

Later on, during the night, you saw and heard more explosions to the west of your position.


Male Musetouched (Azata-blooded Aasimar) Bard 1
Haelynn Kita wrote:

"Your sister will make a full recovery, Xargin," Haelynn says, reaching across the table to place a hand on his, "Father Zanthus and Mother Koya are skilled healers, and have shared the blessings of the Mother Moon with Ameiko." She looks at her companions, seated around the table, "We must be restrained in our response to this violence, we do not know why the goblins attacked. If there is a cause beyond common banditry, or ferity, we should try to uncover it before bringing unnecessary conflict between Sandpoint and the Licktoad goblins."

[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+4

Xargin pauses his playing briefly at the touch, then resumes when Haelynn's hand is withdrawn. As Haelynn finishes speaking, Xargin speaks up in a soft tone.

"We care not for why the goblins are attacking. They are vermin, it is in their nature. As it is in ours to protect our kith and kin. The sole remaining kin left to us has been harmed... as we could not protect her, it falls to us instead to exact a blood price. Still, though it shames us to admit it, we cannot do this on our own, and must therefore bow to the will of the group. Should you wish to investigate further before making a move, we will do what we can to assist. We will not take rash action, however much we chafe to rain fire and ruin upon the foul beasts."

Having said his piece, Xargin drains the rest of his wine and goes to refill his glass, though he pours a watered wine this time, before returning to the table.

Inside Xargin's Head (Come on in, just wipe your feet first...):
You cannot be serious? You mean to leave the insult unpaid?
I did not say that! All harm dealt to Ameiko will be repaid tenfold! Yet we cannot do this alone. We need them... and for now, that means we allow them the time they need to realise that the only thing goblins understand is blade and blood.
We see your point... but... your sister?
She will be fine. You heard the healer. We can afford the wait, though it pains me to delay. For now, we rest, and prepare.
As you wish, lord, though we counsel that you do not tarry too long. A debt unpaid is not easily forgotten, and we would hate to see this consume the peace you've found. You are fragile still...
Worry not, my mind will remain clear enough. The Maiden of Haze and Whimsy brought me back to myself, it will take more than this to steal my clarity. I appreciate your concern though. Thank you, all of you.


Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1
Haelynn Kita wrote:

"Your sister will make a full recovery, Xargin," Haelynn says, reaching across the table to place a hand on his, "Father Zanthus and Mother Koya are skilled healers, and have shared the blessings of the Mother Moon with Ameiko." She looks at her companions, seated around the table, "We must be restrained in our response to this violence, we do not know why the goblins attacked. If there is a cause beyond common banditry, or ferity, we should try to uncover it before bringing unnecessary conflict between Sandpoint and the Licktoad goblins."

[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+4

Grendel raises an eyebrow at Haelynns comments, and listens with interest to Xargins reply. Why does he keep saying we!? He wonders, peering around the table for a hidden companion of the strange man.

After Xargin has said his piece, Grendel pipes up. "I doubt you will find any reason for the attacks beyond the fact that the goblins feel they are strong enough to get away with them. The Licktoads have a new leader, a fat goblin warrior called Chief Rendwattle Gutwad. I hear he has stopped the infighting that kept their attention away from Sandpoint, and of course got their hands on these fireworks. Remember, this attack on Ameiko and her soldier boy was not an isolated incident, and will not be the last if nothing is done."


Female Tiefling (oni/tian-min) Wizard (spellslinger) 1 (HP 7/7 AC:15 T:13 F:12 Sves F:+1 R:+3 W:+2 CMB:-1 CMD:12 Init:+3 Perc: +5) ; Itchy (-2 Dex, -2 Cha)

Yumiko wanders around the table, unsure as to whether she's allowed to talk to anyone. She interjects hurriedly when the conversation slows.

"If tha want to be discovering what the Licktoads are up to, why don't tha ask Walthus? Old Proudstump lives in Brinestump along the old fisherfolks' trail. That is if the Soggy River Monster ain't being devouringly him first.

Maybe Old Megus knows something too, if she's still in that old shack on the southerlywise edge of the swamp? Us don't listenlike to the talk she a brephophagist."


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"I must admit Grendel that I am not as informed about matters of the militia or the dangers of Sandpoint as I should be," Haelynn says, admitting her lack of expertise in local lore and events, "I tend to focus on my obedience to the Eternal Rose, and assisting with the day-to-day affairs of the cathedral. I simply fear using violence without justification. I am not saying you are advocating such a course of action, I am know you and the others are more experienced when it comes to the goblins."


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

She eats babies?

"I believe my sister has a point, we could speak to the locals around the marsh to get a better idea of what is going on out there. I..." Haelynn glances at Tannithil and Xargin, "...believe letting our emotions get the better of us would put us at a disadvantage. I maybe wrong, yet even monkeys fall from trees."


"I am far from an expert on goblin-kin, but I know they fight their fiercest when led by a strong leader or backed into a corner. If they have a leader as the Halfling suggests, we need to be cautious about charging in and also backing them into a corner. They will have the advantage in the swamp, so I agree with Haelynn that we need to plan our approach.

"Having said that, I'm not sure we can afford to dally too long. Rumour in town is that the goblins know how to make their own fireworks and are planning an attack on Sandpoint. If this is in fact true, then we need to move before any others come to harm. Yumiko's suggestion on tapping into those who may have a little more accurate knowledge of the goblin's movements sounds like a logical step."

Moth, a sense motive for the rumours gleaned from the farmer's market; did they sound authoritative or the result of one-up-manship? Please share answer with group, as Marc would relay it.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Moth:
Let me know the cost over the bar for the breakfast order and I will strike it from Marc's tally.


Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"If there are no pressing matters for anyone, should we head out into the marsh today? We might be able to speak with the locals..." Haelynn looks at her sister, "...Walthus and Megus?"

"Do you know these individuals as well Grendel?"


Marc d'Laurac wrote:

"I am far from an expert on goblin-kin, but I know they fight their fiercest when led by a strong leader or backed into a corner. If they have a leader as the Halfling suggests, we need to be cautious about charging in and also backing them into a corner. They will have the advantage in the swamp, so I agree with Haelynn that we need to plan our approach.

"Having said that, I'm not sure we can afford to dally too long. Rumour in town is that the goblins know how to make their own fireworks and are planning an attack on Sandpoint. If this is in fact true, then we need to move before any others come to harm. Yumiko's suggestion on tapping into those who may have a little more accurate knowledge of the goblin's movements sounds like a logical step."

Moth, a sense motive for the rumours gleaned from the farmer's market; did they sound authoritative or the result of one-up-manship? Please share answer with group, as Marc would relay it.

[dice=Sense Motive]1d20 + 5

That the goblins have got their hands on fireworks and seem to have become emboldened as a result is common knowledge; thinking back, when the farmer suggested to you that the goblins are making their own fireworks and planning to attack the town, you realise it sounded more like wild speculation. Besides, whoever heard of a goblin actually making something (that worked properly)?


Marc d'Laurac wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Marc:
1sp per person.

Female Aasimar (musetouched/tian-min) Oracle (life) 1

"Thank you for breakfast, Sir Marc," Haelynn says, smiling.


Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1
Haelynn Kita wrote:


"Do you know these individuals as well Grendel?"

Grendel nods, glad to have an answer. "I know Walthus, and before you ask, no, his not kin of mine. He lives somewhere in the northern half of the swamp, but only comes into town every few months. There are fishermen from Sandpoint who use the swamp, they may be easier to find and question, though no doubt will have less knowledge that Walthus."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Rogue (Scout)/1
Haelynn Kita wrote:
"If there are no pressing matters for anyone, should we head out into the marsh today?

Grendel looks up slowly, speaking in a quiet but serious tone.

"One does not simply walk into the Brinestump Marsh. It's brown borders are guarded by more than just goblins. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Soggy River Monster is ever watchful. It is a stinking wasteland, riddled with dense tangles, snakes and giant vermin. The very air you breath is foul and thick with flies. Not with all the militia of Sandpoint could you do this. It is folly.

The halfling sits back in his chair having said his piece.

"Of course if you still decide to go, I will tag along. I actually hear the swamp can be quite nice this time of year." He says, a slight smile on his face.

51 to 100 of 994 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Jade Regent Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.