Mantisbane Pact with GM Zek

Game Master Zektolna

Maps

Info

Loot

Talia's Journal


3,951 to 4,000 of 4,081 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>

Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

“Information?” Betty says, growing more interested. “I can provide information, for the right price.

“A Regenerate spell is hard to come by, particularly on an island that’s fairly isolated from most of the Inner Sea region. What are you offering in trade for the information?”

At Talia’s second inquiry, Betty offers her a weak smile and says, “I’ll give you a bit of information for free. You won’t find that book without some involvement from the Red Mantis. Even if they aren’t in possession of every copy, they are no doubt watching the locations of those not in their care.

“As for the third item on your list, I could provide you with a contact. What information are you offering for this?”

Betty seems pleasantly surprised by the time Talivar finishes talking. Her eyes light up as he mentions Makkatat.

She says, “That old kobold is still alive? When you see him again, tell him he still owes me a visit. I haven’t forgotten about our agreement.”

Betty disappears into the back half of her shack for a moment before returning with a cushioned chair. She sits down and glances at the pair of cushioned benches on the opposite side of the room. Then she interlocks her fingers, resting them on her stomach as she waits for your reply.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Talia gives the courtesan a calculated look. "I'll need you to name a price for this information. No doubt you personally know the value of your own information, and therefore what an adequate price would be"

The shaman considers things for a moment before continuing. "Something for you to think about. I can view the Akashic Record - and I can show you what I have seen. Perhaps there is something specific you always wanted to know that I could show you...or perhaps you might want a more mundane sort of payment. Like I said, its difficult to know what to trade without knowing what you would consider a fair trade in the first place."


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar nodded at what Talia said but he added, "As a starting point I know in a big city on the mainland you could hire a priest to cast regenerate for perhaps seven or eight hundred gold and a scroll would be the best part of two and half thousand. Here I'd imagine things would be pricier assuming that gold was even useful in the exchange."


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

“I am aware of the Akashic Record,” Betty says. “It is unreliable at best, especially from so far away. I require more certainty and more immediate testimony to a fact’s veracity for it to be useful to me. In any case, I don’t think you’ll be able to offer information of sufficient value to compensate for the scroll, so instead I’ll ask that you retrieve something for me at the same time you retrieve your scroll.

“Lucky for you, my item and your scroll are in the same place. You won’t like where they’re located, of course, so I’ll give you the same offer I give to all my clients: you can walk away now and we can both forget this conversation happened. No harm done.

“As for a contact into the cult, you’ll need to retrieve a different item to get access to them… but I assure you that it’s of a very different nature than the first item I seek.

“So, will you walk away now, or would you like more information? Please note that if you agree to learn more, I give no guarantee that this conversation will be kept quiet. Information is my main livelihood, despite whatever you might have heard.”


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Talia gives Betty a calculating look. "That is a potential problem then. The location of the item could be unrealistic place for us to safely retrieve, which would be useless to us but still leaves you able to trade on information learned during our conversation. That would be...irritating."

Talia muses before taking her Calistrian holy symbol out of her pocket that she had purchased weeks ago, idly spinning it as she thinks before putting it away again. "I have an adjustment to your proposal. If the item and scroll are reasonably accessible and retrievable in the limited time we have available, I am happy to meet your price. We would both walk away having mutually benefited. Should however, the item and scroll be unreasonably difficult to retrieve in a limited time-frame, or my friends and I remain concerned that the supplied information is insufficient to act upon, I would encourage you to keep our conversation to yourself. I would hate to be...disadvantaged after our discussion. I would also ask, that if we succeeded in retrieving the item and scroll, and met your price, that you still keep our conversation quiet. Are these terms fair?"

The irritating thing is that even disguised, I'm convinced she probably knows who we are anyway. The four of us running around as a group, and the Mantis hunting a group of four is probably a big enough hint since she probably would know who is local and who isn't. Just trying to rig things so she's less likely to give us an unrealistic location (ie Citadel) and then sell this conversation to someone else since its guaranteed she has some contact (maybe occasionally) with the Red Mantis - I doubt they would tolerate her existence otherwise if she wasn't useful to them sometimes.


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Kilarra continues to keep her mouth shut, knowing she's prone to messing up negotiations.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

We're certainly taking a risk by coming here. Bit late for cold feet thought!
Talivar sighed, "Might I ask what you mean by we won't like where it's located? How do you know we won't like it or are you just assuming? We might be completely mad and unfazed by things that would upset regular folk..."


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Betty nods at Talia’s concerns and says, “I could see how that would be irritating, but I wouldn’t propose a location that I thought you were incapable of going. Difficult to go, perhaps, but not impossible.

“My original offer remains the same. The information I would provide is sufficient to act upon, unless I am greatly mistaken about your identities - which I never am. Keeping the conversation quiet, should I provide you the information, isn’t an option. As I said, information is my primary trade.”

To Talivar’s questions, Betty says, “Oh, I know. How I know or why I know are different matters, but you’ll have to agree to my terms to find out more.”

Betty, still sitting in her cushioned chair with her fingers interlocked and resting on her stomach, concludes, “So you have a decision to make.”


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Talia makes an ambivalent gesture. "I gave you some friendly advice, whether you choose to listen to it is up to you. I won't take it personally if you don't keep our conversation quiet - but don't expect me to overlook it either if you don't. Just as long as we are clear"

Talia waits until she is sure that Betty understands where both she and her are coming from, before nodding. "I'm happy to learn more."

I swear to god if this b@##@ rats us out to the Red Mantis I will hunt her down and shove a fireball down her throat. I WILL be periodically checking via Akashic Communion to make double sure.


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Of course she will, she deals in information and we're valuable. Just hope she doesn't tell them until after we're done.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

TBH I won't take it personally when she does sell information about us. Let's just hope it's after we've left town though. Anyway I guess we say yes to her terms?


Elf Bloodrager 10| HP 108/108 | AC27 T15 FF24 | DR 2/- | CMD 29 | F+11 R+7 W+5* | Init +3 | Perc +15 | Spell slots 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2 3rd: 2/2 Active buffs: THP: 0; keen edge, shield
Rage:
24/24 rounds | HP 128/128 | AC 25 T13 FF22 | CMD 29 | F+13 R+7 W+7* | Init +3 | Perc +15

Uruelleth's frown is etched into his face as he listens to the conversation. Finally, he speaks up. "If I understand, if someone asks, and someone pays, you'll tell them that we were here and bought info for a regenerate spell. Got it. But can you say that you're not going to immediately turn around and sell to interested parties where we're going? Because if you're going to do that, that will upset us."


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Betty shakes her head at Uruelleth’s question. “It doesn’t make sense for me to tell others of our conversation as soon as you leave. It’s in my interest to wait till you’ve retrieved the item I want. You seem like decently intelligent people, so you should be able to tell if I’m lying about that.”

I hate to stop short here, but I want to make sure we have a consensus on Betty giving you more information. Is everyone in favor of her disclosing more (with the risks/rewards that go along with that)?


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

I think we are all in favor, and yes, I think she will eventually sell us out regardless. I'm just informally stating on the record that if she does sell us out to the Red Mantis, I'm hunting her down and killing her. Lets not forget that Betty is getting something out of this already (ie the item she wants). If she wants to 'double dip' and sell us out afterwards then that's her decision, but Talia isn't going to give her a 'free pass' as it were. Its not like Betty is getting a raw deal here.


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Yes, I'm down for getting information from Betty, and no, I'm not down for potentially murdering her later.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Ditto.

Talivar shrugs, "All right spit it out Betty, where is this item near the scroll you whish us to retrieve?" He half expected her to say it was in the citadel in which case he planned on laughing in her face.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27
Kilarra Calvennis wrote:
Yes, I'm down for getting information from Betty, and no, I'm not down for potentially murdering her later.

If its going to be an issue, Talia can simply wait until the end of the campaign (ie mission successful) to retaliate against Betty (if she sells us out) all by herself without involving anyone who is against it. We killed the spies on our boat who were passing information onto the Red Mantis at the start of the campaign and Talia's stance hasn't really softened since then - she doesn't really have much tolerance for those who [u]choose[/u] to aid the Red Mantis. If shes selling us out to save her skin, I'm fine with that. If shes selling us out to make a profit, then Talia's not sympathetic.

Talivar Tamexo wrote:

Ditto.

Talivar shrugs, "All right spit it out Betty, where is this item near the scroll you whish us to retrieve?" He half expected her to say it was in the citadel in which case he planned on laughing in her face.

My prediction is it being part of that treasure horde guarded by the banshee.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

I suppose a banshee is plausible now we're level 10 but that would be like playing russian roulette very easy to end in a TPK.


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

As you agree to hear the information, Betty sits up a bit, but still keeps her fingers interlocked across her chest as she says, “The items can be found inside the Pagoda of the Mantis. Now before you complain, they aren’t located in the main complex, or rather, through the main entrance. There’s an old storage room to one side that you can access with a back door. I’m sure it will be guarded, but not like the front entrance’s ‘here’s an unbeliever, kill them immediately’ shtick. Assuming you don’t create too much noise, you should only have to deal with the room’s guardians and any guards posted outside.

“You’ll find your scroll of regenerate inside, along with my item. I’m looking for a certain book, not as interesting as The Red Chronicles, but still fascinating reading. It’s called Toys, Tables, and Timber. That’s just Mantis code for Toxins, Traps, and Tricks. You’ll find the title on the first page, so it may take a bit of searching to find it - another reason to avoid making too much noise. Bring me the book and I’ll consider our exchange satisfactory.

“As for your cult contact, there’s arguably a bit more grisly requirement. You’ll need to obtain the head of a member of the Blood Watch. Doesn’t matter which one, but you’ll probably end up with two, since the Watch always patrol in pairs. Bring the head or heads back here and I’ll let you know where to meet the cult.”


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Did not expect that. I thought tackling the Pagoda would be a good 5-6 levels away.

"Isn't that a little convenient? The Red Mantis have a highly defended front door but there's a slightly less guarded back door that bypasses a significant part of their security? This is their sacred temple and that security seems a little...lax." Talia frowns in confusion.

Also nvm, I'm not really going to retaliate against Betty even if she later sells us out (assuming this isn't a trap). Giving up a secret entrance to the Temple is a pretty serious secret and is a big risk - I doubt the Mantis would be too pleased.

How do people feel about killing the Watch Captain? Its undoubtedly a bigger risk and a more threatening combat encounter (I have no idea how strong he is) but I imagine it wins favor with the Besmara worshipers in this city - It was Klorn that killed the last Besmara Head Priest and the one currently hunting down the Cult. What do people think?


Elf Bloodrager 10| HP 108/108 | AC27 T15 FF24 | DR 2/- | CMD 29 | F+11 R+7 W+5* | Init +3 | Perc +15 | Spell slots 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2 3rd: 2/2 Active buffs: THP: 0; keen edge, shield
Rage:
24/24 rounds | HP 128/128 | AC 25 T13 FF22 | CMD 29 | F+13 R+7 W+7* | Init +3 | Perc +15

Uruelleth's mood immediately improves, when it's revealed that both jobs involve the killing of Mantises.

I'm up for it, Talia!


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar beams at Betty, "You're right I don't like it, I love it! Anything that involves squishing bugs sounds good to me, especially if it's not necessarily a one way trip."

He then asks with a poker face, "Still I can't help but wonder, isn't this all a bit risky for you? What if we get captured and they find out about this conversation?"


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Kilarra smirks. "Perfect."

Yup, I'm up for both.


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Betty shrugs at Talia’s concerns. “I didn’t say lax, just different. It is well defended, just compared to the rest of the temple, it’s more accessible. This won’t later give you access to the whole temple, to be clear, unless you decide to tear a hole in a wall. It’s leftover from when the temple was much smaller. It was never connected to the rest of the place when the building was expanded.”

Betty shrugs again at Talivar’s query. “I don’t think you’ll be captured. I would be very disappointed if you are. But I also don’t think you would tell them about me. Even if you did or were magically compelled to do so, I still have other information I can trade with them. To be frank, I’m far too valuable for them to kill just because I gave you a bit of damaging information about them.

“Anyway,” Betty finishes, “that’s all I have for now, unless you have other questions. You know where to find me once you’ve accomplished one or both of the tasks.”

Keep in mind you’ve got about a day and a half at this point before Makkatat starts being at risk of dying at any moment. Assuming the kobolds are moving towards Ganda-Uj, along with Talia’s plants, you probably don’t want to wait much beyond that anyway.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Umm are the kobolds are moving towards Ganda-Uj now?

Quote:
Makkatat winces as Talia speaks of arriving at the city. He says, “I’m already hurting just from talking. I don’t think I’ll be able to head towards the city unless a cure is found, or you’re carrying me in a coffin.”

I got the impression Makkatat isn't healthy enough to travel so the tribe is waiting for a cure before they move.

Also I have nothing further to ask of Betty, we can start planning our attack on the Temple / Klorn if we want?


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

That’s fine then, Talia. I guess I figured y’all wanted to be ready to attack as soon as possible, but hanging back is fine, too.

Yes, you can start planning. I think there also still needs to be a consensus on whether you’re going to try for Klorn or just regular Blood Watch members. Presumably you also need to decide if you’re even going to attempt the Blood Watch operation before the Battle of Ganda-Uj.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Nah we want at least a couple of days before Battle of Ganda-Uj. I still don't know how its possible for us to do everything the koblds want us to do and still be in good shape to take on Driara and Firesinger.

GM, what would be required to learn a little more about Klorn's current schedule? Would it be a skill roll, or involving asking someone, or a little bit of intrigue?


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

It would take more than a skill roll. You’d either need to do a stakeout to determine his movements, or you would need an informant of some kind (intrigue).


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

"Let's go," Kilarra says, taking a step toward the exit.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar nodded, "Yeah we have stuff to do." as he fell in behind Kilarra.

Once they were outside, Talivar casually glanced around checking for watchers and danger.
Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 24

Assuming he doesn't see anything concerning.
Talivar casually suggested, "Perhaps we should go shopping? It would give me an excuse to fish for information about Klorn."

If folks agree.
As they talk to various street vendors and market stall holders about produce the weather, Talivar casually slips in a few questions... "Hey my aunt wanted me to deliver a letter to Captain Klorn, any idea where I should drop it off? I assume he's too busy to receive visitors right? Oh it's not official business, I uh think she's a secret admirer..."

Diplomacy: Gather Information: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Most of the people Talivar speaks to immediately turn away as soon as you mention Klorn’s name. They either seem frightened, angry, or both, but none seem the slightest bit interested in discussing the man, even if they hear all of Talivar’s pitch. However, Talivar’s persistence pays off and he finally talks to one street vendor who’s a bit more open to speaking about the Blood Watch commander.

“Your aunt secretly admires Klorn? You should definitely disown her. Though she might have a death wish… in which case, you should get her help as soon as possible. As for Klorn, he’s never too busy for visitors, ones who promptly find themselves at the end of a rope, anyway. If he has any unofficial business, I’ve never heard of it. He stays inside Sawtooth Keep most of the time. Doesn’t come out often or regularly, but when he does, he usually has a slew of guards with him. Say what you will about the man, but he at least knows he isn’t liked, so he’s at least somewhat self-aware.”

The vendor glances around nervously and adds, “Now run along. Unless you want to buy something? I’m always happy to get new customers!”


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Later Talivar gave Talia a brittle smile, "Seems it's going to be a challenge. What do we know of Sawtooth Keep? I'm not even sure how big it is..."

Maybe we should take a look?


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Knowing she's horrible at making friends, Kilarra doesn't ask around for information on the watch schedules, instead leaving it to the others.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar blinks at Talia when she doesn't respond immediately. Glancing at Uruelleth and Kilarra he tells them, "I'm going to take a look see at the pagoda, might be best if you came with..."

I'm intending to head towards it and try and get a look around the back of it, ideally from afar. Specifically looking for buildings behind the pagoda, ones we might be able to enter or climb on top of. The goal is to plan our entry into the pagoda.

As he started walking, Talivar keep alert for anything and everything...
Perception if applicable: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (17) + 21 = 38


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Kilarra shrugs and follows Talivar, keeping an eye open for anything interesting.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

You head for the Pagoda to scout out the location. You can see the top of of it long before you arrive near it. As you arrive, you can see it is nothing like the temple to Besmara. The Pagoda is an architectural feat and is designed to stand out from the mundane buildings around it.

The upward-curving roof is tiled in red, rising at least one hundred feet into the air. There must be at least three stories to the building, though the higher ones would need to be progressively smaller. The entire structure is surrounded by a smaller wall on all sides. Two gates give access to the Pagoda, one for the main entrance, and one on the other side for what appears to be a service entrance.

Talivar and Kilarra can both see that the front gate and front entrance to the Pagoda are heavily guarded. The Mantis undoubtedly take pride in the temple, which is likely second only to the Citadel in its profane significance to their religion. At least a dozen Mantis stand guard at the front gate and at the front entrance.

The rear entrance only has a half dozen guards at the gate and none at the entrance, but it also backs up near one of the walls of the city and several Mantis patrol the wall above near the Pagoda.

From a safe distance, you think you can spot the entrance Betty spoke of. It's not the main service entrance, but rather a small, almost unnoticeable door to one side. No guards stand near the door and it's far enough away from both gates that you could likely enter unseen if you can get past the guards at the rear gate.

The area surrounding the Pagoda is empty in each direction. The Mantis seem to have specifically cleared - or perhaps forbade the construction of in the first place - all buildings. While you notice a few suitable buildings that could serve as lookout locations, none are close enough to help you get over the wall via mundane means.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

From their vantage point Talivar remarked softly, "Well its there... How do we want to do this, wait for nightfall?"


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

"I would prefer tomorrow night, if possible. We can kill the guards no problem, but I'd prefer to get past them in some way that doesn't alert the guards at the front gate, front entrance, or the walls where the Mantis patrol nearby. So I'd like to spend tonight observing, noting watch times to see if there is an hour window or something where we could kill the guards and not be spotted or have the alarm raised soon after. Don't forget, the room also has guardians as well that will waste time."

I'm confident, but not confident enough that we could handle eighteen Mantis guards (plus or minus the wall guards) if we are spotted killing the guards at the rear entrance (or leaving corpses). Need either a diversion, a way to hide our presence, or to do it so the Mantis on the wall don't see any corpses (or the absence of any guards). My 2 cents. Give it the full 24 hours, learn everything we can, and then hit them hard.

GM can the Mantis on the wall spot the guards / patrol near the guards on the rear entrance. Do they have line of sight?


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

The guards on the wall do have line of sight if they're patrolling near the Pagoda and on the half of the wall closer to the city. I would also go ahead and note that at least two guards in every group have on Masks of the Mantis at all times.


Female Human Slayer 10 | HP: 74/74 | AC 24 (T 16, FF 19) (+2 vs. traps) | CMB: +13 CMD: 27 | F:+11* R:+14* W:+8* (+2 vs. divine, +2 vs. traps, +5 vs. continuing FX) | Init +4 | Perc +15*, SM +12, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +1, Intimidate +5 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions: None

Can anyone enter the grounds to pray if they worship Achaekek? Or only mantis? Or do we see any civilians entering for any reason? Food deliveries or something?


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Yes, any devout worshiper of Achaekek could theoretically enter without fear of reprisal. However, since the Pagoda is run by the Mantis, it would look very strange for someone who wasn't a member to try entering the temple. The Mantis would consider such a person a heretic, even if Achaekek himself wouldn't consider them as such.

You see food deliveries, but they stop at the walls and the food is brought the rest of the way by the guards.


Elf Bloodrager 10| HP 108/108 | AC27 T15 FF24 | DR 2/- | CMD 29 | F+11 R+7 W+5* | Init +3 | Perc +15 | Spell slots 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2 3rd: 2/2 Active buffs: THP: 0; keen edge, shield
Rage:
24/24 rounds | HP 128/128 | AC 25 T13 FF22 | CMD 29 | F+13 R+7 W+7* | Init +3 | Perc +15

"I know it didn't work all that well with the goblins, but maybe a couple of us could put on some Mantis gear? It'd get us closer than looking like, well, us."


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar nodded, "Perhaps we could concoct some story about making a delivery. Won't stand up to scrutiny but if delivered with enough conviction it might get us inside."


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Talia frowned "I'd rather just kill them. We have never been successful with disguises. Considering our disguises couldn't even make it past the Blood Watch just now, I doubt we will have better luck against actual Red Mantis agents. Deliveries of food are left by the gate anyway"

"I'd prefer we make a distraction or diversion for either the guards at the gate, and/or guards on the Wall, pull resources away and then you kill the remainder."

Disguise is ineffective in this game when all four of us need to have high rolls and still win an opposed check against each guard in order to succeed. I can do it alone (Assume Appearance gets me through), but it doesn't help anyone else and thats been the issue previously. TBH, I'd rather not waste spells on something that is statistically unlikely to work - I'd rather have combat spells instead for the inevitable combat encounter.


Human Sorcerer 10 | HP 29 / 52 AC 19 (Mage Armor) T14 FF16 | CMB + 4 CMD 18 | F +7 R +9 W +12 | init +7 | Resource Tracker
Skills:
Appraise +12 Bluff +18 Diplomacy +15 Kn:Arcarna +15 Kn:Geography +15 Kn:Planes +15 Perception +21 Spellcraft +16 Stealth +7 Prof:Sailor +8 Prof:Soilder +7

Talivar considered for a moment before replying, "A distraction seems like a good idea... Out of curiousity what's the biggest dumbest thing you can summon? I might be able to stack some illusions on top. As for disguises I know what you mean but it depends who you're trying to fool, a low level pleb is one thing a senior member is quite another."

The thing about illusions and bluffs is they have to be believable.
I think we had penalties on our last disguise due to circumstance. Mantiss here are common place so a good disguise will likely fool commoners, The Mantis themselves possibly not, but there's a big difference between a lowly bloodvessel and a Vernai and I think we're far more likely to meet the former to begin with. Anyway I won't spend any more resources than taking ten and using disguise kits.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

Talia rubs her temples slightly in a circular motion "A summon won't work as a distraction - at best it lasts about ten seconds and that won't be enough. As for disguises I agree with you - which is my point. Our last two attempts were against a low level goblin guard, and a Blood Watch guard. Both failed. I think a Red Mantis guarding their sacred temple will be more perceptive."

"At any rate, we are going about this the wrong way. At its simplest form, we need to achieve two things.

1. We need is a way to kill the guards at the gate without alerting the guards at the other gate who would otherwise come and assist.

2. After killing the guards we need a way to ensure the wall patrols don't raise the alarm if they see a whole lot of dead guards outside the entrance.

"A diversion hopefully pulls away either the guards at the rear gate or the guards at the front gate. We could set a fire for instance to draw attention. If we want subtle, I can cast Scripted Hallucination for the guards to see something that draws interest. Heck, it could be a hallucination of us, undisguised, roaming the city. Its an illusion spell, but at least it pulls them away. Or alternatively, I can cast Persistent Image after we have killed the guards so that subsequent wall patrols do not see an absence of guards."

"Why don't we try this. We can kill a Blood Watch member tonight in a public part of town. We make contact with the Cult. A killing, at night, in a public place will doubtless affect the location of patrols the following night. They may put a priority on a location we plan to be nowhere near. They may reduce the frequency of patrols on the wall. Its a good starting point if we want something to do tonight."

Actually if memory serves one or two of us just rolled low each time (which statistically is likely to happen) on the disguise check which aroused suspicion. I agree that there is a difference between a Blood Vessel and a Vernai, but I view a Red Mantis (guarding their temple) as a step up from a Blood Watch - which we still couldn't even get past via disguises. I'm not worried about my disguise - its everyone else succeeding on their checks that makes it hard (because then I'm guilty by association).

What frequency do the wall guards patrol GM? Is it 2 per hour or 10 minutes or so on. We could try and break in while they are on rotation.


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Talia, there are always two in each patrol on the wall. They pass by the temple about every 15 minutes. That said, keep in mind that one or two of the city's gates aren't too far away, so if you make much noise, you could cause them to come investigate sooner.


Elf Bloodrager 10| HP 108/108 | AC27 T15 FF24 | DR 2/- | CMD 29 | F+11 R+7 W+5* | Init +3 | Perc +15 | Spell slots 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2 3rd: 2/2 Active buffs: THP: 0; keen edge, shield
Rage:
24/24 rounds | HP 128/128 | AC 25 T13 FF22 | CMD 29 | F+13 R+7 W+7* | Init +3 | Perc +15

Maybe we can look into some oils of silence or something to keep the alarm from being raised.


Female Aasimar Shaman 10 | HP 80/80| AC15 T11 FF14 | CMD 16 | F+7 R+6 W+14 | Init +5 | Perc +22 | Sense Motive +27

GM does this have to be a combat encounter? Like, could I just use Stone Shape to get through the wall (making our own entrance) and then cast Stone Shape again to get into the building, while covering our entry points with illusions?


Maps | Info | Loot | Talia's Journal

Getting into the room doesn’t have to be a combat encounter, assuming whatever you try works. There likely will be some type of encounter inside, though, based on what Betty said.

3,951 to 4,000 of 4,081 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mantisbane Pact with GM Zek All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.