Iobaria: The Fallen Empire

Game Master Corerue

A group of Mercenaries set off with their Mercenary company into the dark lands known as Iobaria. Braving the fallen realm and what dark history lies therein to make their mark, make some gold and perhaps become heroes...

Ambushing the Raiders!


1,151 to 1,200 of 1,330 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

She bows at Aradacemorn's statement. "By my honor, you smelled me out." She arcs her lone eyebrow as he looks into the storm. "An excuse? How noble." Her sarcasm was blunt and stabbing. "So now you leave us and go to wallow in your drafty stone fort with your invisible friends. Real big plan there." She grunts before moving to look him dead in the eye.

"Maybe after ya done laying in ya tears, you come and find us In Orlov." She smiles at him, broadly. "Gorum tells us, 'A blade left to rust, ill kept and forgotten, grows weaker. But a blade sharpened and tempered well by the forge, grows stronger. Ya want revenge, ya got to earn it through blood, sweat and tears. Until ya move past your weakness, ya will never beat that which ya hate." She thumps her chest then. "Ya can hate me if that gives you the will to trudge forward. Or are ya just a winged lizard?"


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Rhavenna's eyes widen in surprise before narrowing at the memory."That explains it."

She looks at the.......shapeshifter, the fact that a human woman could loo her in the eye making much more sense now. "And we're supposed to trust you with just that as an explanation?"


"No, No I don't." Aslan wouldn't hesitate to answer truthfully. "But hiding it dishonors me and my ancestors, it would be like you hiding your lower half. The Lord of Iron looks past me for being so weak until now." She points at Rhavenna. "So if we are to go into battle, and somewhat soon, then there needs be no secrets between us. Nor grudges."

She paces her words, speaking truthfully. "Since my defeat... I am unable to change. Stuck in this split form." She forms a fist, her large hand causing her armor to creak.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"So neither full bear of regular human woman, but...something in between? A blend of your features..... I could understand how not being able to fully be yourself would be....frustrating." the ranger says thoughtfully.


Aradacemorn merely narrowed his eyes at Aslan, shrugging off her taunting as he listened to her story and stared into the roaring winds around the Maw. "Perhaps. Perhaps Not." Light flashes from his forehead, a single scale glows brightly before he reaches up and pried it off. Gently handing it to Rhavenna. "If you need me, hold this scale and say 'Delectare Veni'. Place it in your mind and don't forget."

With that he stands and begins to move off back the way you all came. "Until we meet again. May your journey and days ahead be safe."


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"May you be safe as well, Aradacemorn. Thank you for everything." she says taking the scale and stowing it s she memorizes the words.


Aslan is still dealing with Hospital stuff so pressing on.

Aradacemorn nods to Rhavenna respectfully and not even slightly to Aslan as he wings off back towards the dwarven redoubt which he had laid claim.

Shortly after he had left the Elder and the rest started piling the dead in one of the side caves. Where the elder pulled out a foul smelling liquid and shattered the vial across the pile of the dead. "An item I bought in Numeria, it rather useless but in instances like this it is potent." The pungent odor hung in the air and he lit a torch and tossed it onto the pile. With a great and startling *Whomp~Whoosh!* the mound of corpse burst into flame before the torch had even landed surprisingly.

The Elder didn't even break stride as he turned from the burning mound. "The mountain creatures have a potent sense of smell. Best we leave and quickly while their still too wary to reclaim the Maw." Tersi rubbed his beard fiercely at this statement before suddenly tapping Aeria on the shoulder. "Best we be returning as well. Your sisters are in need of strong hands if they are too survive."

He gives an apologetic look to the group but seems rather determined to return to the harpy cave. "Since the trouble of the Maw is clear we are no longer needed, knowing that Aradacemorn is nearby gives me hope these young ones will survive and inevitably change for the better. In a decades time you may find a friendly band of harpies guarding these mountains. Only if we ensure their survival and good teaching." He bows then. "Good luck to you and yours, as Aradacemorn has already shared. If you need us then send word through him and we will come post haste."


The Eldergrimaced at the loss of more companions, thus reducing their numbers to four. Rhavenna, Tidus, Aslan and himself. "We were lucky to have you this far, ya old bastard." He grips forearms with Tresi and gives Aeria a wink, much to her discomfort. "It'd be nice if every mons... creature wasn't out to kill us around here. So good luck in your endeavors."

Tresi returned the arm shake before withdrawing his hand and nodding. "With teaching and the growth of intelligence we can curb such predatory instincts. Be safe in Ioberia, though with Rhavenna's fine flanks I am sure it won't be an issue." He adds this part jokingly as he strokes his beard. Tyg comes trotting up then and Tresi smiles as he points to Rhavenna. "That one is yours by the way. He is eager to serve you." Tyg clopped his hoof into the snow, dragging it and making a small rut ashe bobbed his horned head as if in agreement with Tresi.

With that said he turned away then and gave one last wave goodbye before he and Aeria started to move off, Tresi still talkiing low as the moved from sight. "The last Dvezda. An interesting idea for a story."

As soon as they were lost to sight. Aeria could be seen taking flight alongside some sort of massive blur of whirling snow.


Faldirk watched as the strange pair took off, smiling as Aeria gave one final wing wave to Rhavenna in goodbye. Thought he Harpies gaze on Tidus lingered for far too long. He didn't hide the disappointment at losing three allies in but a few moments, especially the lose of Aradacemorn hit him the hardest as the silver was gone before he emerged again. Looking to his younger companions he nodded. "We're traveling through the Maw and making for a Priory that is several miles past to the north east. If we are lucky we will reach it by midnight. The mountains and hills past here are rife with Worg's and gob's. So best to be behind high walls with strong bows or be prepared to be hunted and run to ground... Questions? None? Good. Lets get this s$@& over with." His pep talk over he hikes his bag up a little higher on his shoulders and starts the group heading north by northeast.

E????? & W?????:

1d100 ⇒ 391d100 ⇒ 31
1d100 ⇒ 751d100 ⇒ 30
1d100 ⇒ 911d100 ⇒ 57

Rhavenna notices the Elder's hesitation before he stepped past the massive cave entrance at the back of the Maw. Like stepping out of the throat of a great beast and into a land still raw and untouched by the ravages of society. On the back of the Maw lay what remained of the monster encampment, more bodies, stench that lingered even in this cold land and more horrific sights to behold.

The Elder though took a long moment, like he was surveying the aly of the land before stepping out past the throat's exit. As he stepped on the soiled snow he gave a great sigh. "I never thought I'd return. Follow me and don't lag behind. I know of some paths to get us off these mountains and to the Priory." He passed the bodies, some of which were apparent victims of the monster army without batting an eye. "Don't lag behind, had we known we'd have burned them too. But they'll distract the Worg's and other carrion feeders on this mountain." Tyg gave a mighty flaring of his nose at the sight but continued to follow behind Rhavenna steadily. Tidus moved with his helmet closed and kept pace with the Elder though saying very little.

About twelve hours into the march and everything seemed to be going smoothly as the Elder guided the group at a steady but brisk pace. He took winding paths down the cliff face. The weather seemed to grow more calm the further away from the Maw everyone got. It wasn't until thirteen hours in when the group ran into its first obstacle, the mountainside sloped sharply away. Appearing to be far more treacherous then it had been until now and even the Elder grimaced in annoyance. Looking all the world like he hadn't expected this.

A lone howl from behind the group, sounding very distant but sharp in comparison to the relative calm and quiet everyone had been enjoying, brought the situation more to a head. Unless they braved the slope, they were stuck with their backs to a cliff and possible wolves or whatever else hunting nearby. The Elder growled roughly before descending down the treacherous slope. "Let's go. Priory is waiting." Tyg however was watching behind the group, his horns sweeping back and forth as he searched for the source of the howl. As the Elder descended Tyg looked to Rhavenna and seemed to be waiting for her.

Tidus paused and looked back to Rhavenna as well before making a rather awkward comment. "See you at the bottom." With that he turned and hopped down after the Elder, his boots crunching in the snow loudly with his impact below.

Rhavenna three acrobatics checks, DC 10 Failure requires a Reflex save.

If Acrobatics is failed consult the tale within after making Reflex Save (No set DC details inside spoiler).:

20 or higher

The character catches himself before he slides too far and takes no damage.

15–19

The character slides down a short hill before slamming into a tree. The character takes 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.

10–14

The character slides far down the hill, reducing the number of checks that need to be made by one. Unfortunately, the character also slides through a pair of thickets and lands hard on some rocks, taking 1d6 points of damage.

5–9

The character slides down a muddy hill and then falls down a 20-foot cliff, taking 2d6 points of damage. This reduces the number of checks that need to be made by one.

4 or less

The character slides all the way to the bottom of the ravine, taking 2d6 points of damage and 1d4 points of Dexterity damage from a horribly sprained ankle.

???? Acrobatics Rolls:

Faldirk

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24

Tidus

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

Tyg

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (10) + 18 = 28

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20

Tidus Reflex + extra Acrobatics

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Aslan

1d20 ⇒ 15

1d20 ⇒ 10

1d20 ⇒ 20

On the way down no one, but Tidus, falls. Luckily he was quick enough to catch himself before he fell to far. As the group made its way down the treacherous nature of the slope revealed itself more and more in the way of actually shear cliff faces. Loose footing and trees akimbo to batter yourself on if you were to tumble.

If nothing awkward happens to Rhavenna:

Having made there way down the group continued to press on, though now the country was more rugged hillsides and less cliffs and deadfalls...

After some sixteen hours of travel, fatigue was truly setting in and the Elder continued to urge everyone to press on. Especially as a couple more howls echoed from behind the group. Though they seemed distant they sounded just as close as the last time the howl was heard and there were more of them. Much to the discomfort of the group and open irritation of Tyg, who was now breathing more quickly as it appeared he was preparing for a fight.

"Move those feet, wiggle your fingers and toes and lets go. Let the bastards test the slope we did."

The trees on this hillside though grew far more thick and the canopy was rather tight as well. Wit the setting of the sun and the coming dark the group would have been forced to light torches, were Tidus not willing to make due without it. Everyone but him being non-human had more advantages in darkness.

Tidus looked to Rhavenna then, asking politely. "Do you mind if I grab hold of your barding?"

At Tids's bravery the Elder nodded and whispered, somewhat loudly. "Good on ya lad, light in this place is a sure sign of meals ready to eat to the monsters that may den here. We run quiet and move with as little noise as we can muster..." After that the Elder took his own advice and the group traveled with only the sound of their gear and the echoes of creaking trees and the occasional WHOOMPh! of falling snow to keep them alert.

Tyg however appeared to be even more alert and downright nervous while confined inside the tight forest. Literally jumping at shadows and staying so close to Rhavenna that at times his body was rubbing against her side and legs.

Survival rolls please

Spoiler:

DC 25 +: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10
1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (3) + 20 = 23

The fatigue was excruciating now, the cold was in every muscle and it was easy to stumble at times. The Elder looked more irritated by the minute as he growled quietly in displeasure. It wasn't until an hour later and the sounds of howls echoing somewhere behind and now even to the side of the group that he stopped the group and hunched in close. "I don't recognize these trails, or this damned forest. something is just wrong."

Despite the Elders irritation the break was greatly needed as even Tyg, for how alert he had been. Was kneeling down in exhaustion. Though the wolf howls brought him back to a standing position, albeit a very wobbly standing...


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Acrobatic: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Acrobatic: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Acrobatic: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Taking a deep breath, Rhavenna gestures to Tyg, indicating that they might as well get moving, it wasn't going to get any safer. The heightened danger making her more alert, the last Dvezda called upon all of her natural agility to make her way nimbly down the deadly slopes, avoiding the hazards posed by both terrain and weather.

"Of course," Rhavenna replied, glad to provide any support Tidus needed, and understanding the limits of his vision. Feeling Tyg's nervousness and the readiness to fight anything that might threaten them, she occasionally rests a hand against a shoulder or his muscular neck, providing a bit of comfort and reassurance to the mighty stag.

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

"We're not going to be able to keep this up for much longer, they're just going to keep on coming until they run us into the ground." Rhavenna says looking specifically at the states of both Tyg and Tidus.


DM Corerue wrote:


Livain

It was easy to tell it was pondering the meaning behind some of Livain's words. Digesting them slowly before it spoke. "He-ro... don't know this word... But... It sounds nice and..." It paused, gathering its thoughts as it spoke again. "though this one has no name. I was glad to help you." With its wings still clasped in front of it, it scuttled on its haunches towards Livain, looking somewhat excited as it did so. "Shall we find others? Help them to?"

"Help the others? Do you know what happened to our allies?" Maiathreen asks Chimera, still wary of its seeming insanity. He places his arms around Livain.


The scaled head turned to regard Maithreen curiously, seeming to digest his words. "Al-lies? Oh the ones on the floor with you? Well... The man died, sword in chest. The bird wasn't moving, face kicked with heavy boot and the half-beast wasn't either. Similar to bird's injuries." She tapped the glowing weapon with her long tail. "Made great distraction. Killed Masters servant with ease. Slow masters plan and saved my kind." It nodded then, seemingly pleased with the outcome. Though it's face turned to a snarl. "Man deserved it, own my kind. Needed to die."


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Survival tell me anything?


The hazard was immensely difficult to beat, but your survival roll helped. ;)

To Rhavenna the ground felt strange, unnaturally so, like the roots moved away from her hooves and the trees shuddered at her touch. Something was wrong with these woods, deeply wrong. However Rhavenna was unable to get her bearings, though she wasable to provide insight to the struggle Elder.

Frustrated by the wolf howls Aslan, who was struggling to keep her legs underneath her turned in anger. "Yapping mutts!" She threw her head back then and roared like a beast, an echoing guttural bear cry that silenced the howls that were a distance behind you all.

With Rhavenna's help the Elder was able to detect a way through the woods and shockingly it takes only a hundred paces to reach the edge.

"Damned blight!" The Elder looks almost enraged as he mumbles. "It's reached this far, so soon..." He shakes his head and squints into the darkness with his one good eye.

Spoiler:

1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 20 + 2 = 40
20 + 2d6 ⇒ 20 + (6, 1) = 27

Now on the outside of the strange forest on the mountain edge, the Elder leads you all for another hour before coming to what looked like another fortress. It loomed in the distance with its alabaster walls seeming to shine in the darkness, the great symbol of the inheritor emblazoned above its small gatehouse doors. Which appeared firmly shut for the night.

Just as the priory was before you, the wolf howls came again. This time they were shockingly closer. "Behind us!" Tidus's swords rang as loud as his tired voice as he turned to point at a dozen shadows looming behind you all.

About one hundred and twenty feet behind the group loomed multiple dark shapes, one though stodd head and shoulders above the rest. The size of Rhavenna and no less menacing as its eyes glowed in the darkness. The smaller wolves began to spread out, fanning out to flank and encircle the party. "Can we make it to the Priory?" Tidus's voice was tired but his swords clanged as he slammed them together in preparation for the fight and to get feeling back into his limbs.

The priory lay some three hundred feet away now, though at the wolf howls several lights had appeared in the high windows above the Gatehouse.

Aslan gave a growl and drew her greatblade, which was a massive runic sword, and the runes started to glow. "I'm tired of running. I say we bloody these mutts."

The Elder seemed less convinced as he glared at the larger then normal wolf. "Where there is one worg... There is possibly more. Fighting Retreat, make our way to the Priory and don't separate!"

Party is up
Larger then normal Wolf, 120ft away
two visible wolves by larger wolf. 120 ft away
ten other wolves, spread out, using undergrowth, bushes and trees as cover. 60-100ft away respectively.

Priory 300ft away


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

I'm the fastest, I'll be the last to fall back!" Rhavenna says tensely drawing her bow. Keeping to the idea of a fighting retreat, she moves in the direction of the Priory, while firing at the largest of the wolves.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
1 pt cold


DM Corerue wrote:
The scaled head turned to regard Maithreen curiously, seeming to digest his words. "Al-lies? Oh the ones on the floor with you? Well... The man died, sword in chest. The bird wasn't moving, face kicked with heavy boot and the half-beast wasn't either. Similar to bird's injuries." She tapped the glowing weapon with her long tail. "Made great distraction. Killed Masters servant with ease. Slow masters plan and saved my kind." It nodded then, seemingly pleased with the outcome. Though it's face turned to a snarl. "Man deserved it, own my kind. Needed to die."

Maiathreen was swimming with emotions and become lost in a wave of words he could choose to say but decided to silence the sea inside by not speaking. He hung his head for a moment and thought of his fallen allies. Was there anything they could have done? He could feel the sea begin to rage inside once more. Wave after wave of emotion crashing against the shore.


Mai and Livain

She tipped her head to one side, seemingly confused at Mai's silence and lowered head. "Are you... not pleased?" It's wings fluttered slightly and it started to shift from side to side in what could only be interpreted as nervousness.


Rhavenna's run to the Priory

Tidus becomes a blur of motion, following Rhavenna. His blades and his hands moving rapidly. His twin swords slammed into their sheathes before he took a few steps and drew his bow. He drew back on the blackened bows string and releases a black, inky like arrow sped off towards one of the closer wolves.

Move 5ft closer to Priory
Tidus Ranged shot: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 2 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 5 + (4) = 15

The arrow slams mid body and the wolf crumples into the snow, rolling head over rear before coming to rest in a pile of snow, blood and fur. Tidus stringed up another arrow then.

The Elder reached into his pouch at his side and produced a handful of stones. He had them in the palm of his hand, ready to throw them at whatever came within range.

Aslan gave a growl and moved up alongside Rhavenna, her increased size had the benefit of increased movement as well.

Tidus was the only one left somewhat in the open and at the rear, though with his custom armor and weapons he was suited for fitting creatures as well.

Move 30ft closer to Priory
Priory 260ft away from Rhavenna

Locations Distance from Priory
Tidus 295 ft
Elder 270 ft
Aslan and Rhavenna

Wolf Corrections 220ft not 120ft
Larger Wolf Location 60ft closer, coming towards the rear of the party.

Wolves defeated 1/???

Large Wolf Distance from group
165 ft from Tidus
190 ft from Elder
170 ft from Aslan
170 ft from Rhavenna

Rhavenna is up!


Pleased? The human's name was Wallace he had never owned another sentient creature, the centaur was Rhavenna. If your saying the creatures were minions of some master then we have work to do killing them then don't we?" Maiathreen growls and a crystalline kukri appears in his clinched fist only to waver and mold over his hands forming wicked claws.


Mai and Livain

The creature was more confused then before, the weapons forming from Mai though made it step back. "Wallace, not slave taker? Rawvenna not broken horse? Strange. But no names were spoke, only a clash with masters Skin Stealer. Chance to rescue my kind."

It seemed to be thinking hard, though its eyes flicked back and forth between Maiathreen and Livian. "Attacking the Master minion's... This I have done. But no end... Many, like the clouds in the sky. Some, hard to see. Not just rotting ones serve the Master. Some dwell above, others below."

She looks to the glowing weapon, picking it up slowly as she caressed the finely crafted rifle stock. "So, chose to seek our kind instead. After killing Master's Skin Stealer. Then go to city of steam. Save our kind."


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Trying to focus on where she was running while twisting around and firing at the oncoming wolves wasn't easy, but she continued, sending another arrow streaking behind them.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Rhavenna

Missed your first shot whoopsie.

Rhavenna's first arrow struck the larger wolf in the shoulder, causing it to howl in pain before it started moving towards the group.

The second arrow went wide as the larger wolf ducked to the side of it, snapping its jaws as it did so.

Round 2, rest of party

The Elder continues moving, gripping the stones he had pulled out as he readied to throw them when the enemy drew too close.

Tidus double his pace and caught up with the Elder, his blackened bow at the ready and his comically oversized helm slammed shut for protection.

Aslan continues to keep pace with Rhavenna, her massive blade at the ready to hack apart any wolves that drew too close.

Round 2 of wolves

Despite being targeted the Larger wolf reoubles its efforts and seems to glide across the snowy planes and closes the distance immensely between it, Tidus and the Elder. The wolf was running so hard lighter snow was kicking up in its wake...

It spoke in a rough and menacing sylan tongue, that only Rhavenna understood clearly. "Kill the men! Leave the skin walker and horse meat to me!" To everyone else it gave off a series of short yips and howls to which the other wolves responded quickly too its cry.

At its call the smaller wolves that had flanked out to the sides start to swarm in like locusts, seeming uncaring if they were targeted by the groups bows or not.

Locations Distance from Priory
Tidus 235 ft
Elder 240 ft
Aslan and Rhavenna 220

Wolves defeated 1/???

Large Wolf Distance from group
65 ft from Tidus
60 ft from Elder
80 ft from Aslan
80 ft from Rhavenna

Other wolves distance
varies between 60-80ft from all party members

Priory actions

The sounds of the wolves and the movement beyond its gates has summoned up defenders of unknown sort. Covered in thick cloaks, these unknown races move to defend the parapets of the Priory. Several lights can be noted as spreading across the well now, some were the size of lantern wick and others the size of torches.

Though the lights and activity increased on the parapet, the gates of the Priory appeared to be firmly kept shut still...

Rhavenna YOU ARE UP!


DM Corerue wrote:

Mai and Livain

The creature was more confused then before, the weapons forming from Mai though made it step back. "Wallace, not slave taker? Rawvenna not broken horse? Strange. But no names were spoke, only a clash with masters Skin Stealer. Chance to rescue my kind."

It seemed to be thinking hard, though its eyes flicked back and forth between Maiathreen and Livian. "Attacking the Master minion's... This I have done. But no end... Many, like the clouds in the sky. Some, hard to see. Not just rotting ones serve the Master. Some dwell above, others below."

She looks to the glowing weapon, picking it up slowly as she caressed the finely crafted rifle stock. "So, chose to seek our kind instead. After killing Master's Skin Stealer. Then go to city of steam. Save our kind."

Maiathreen sighs as he focuses on the weapon he formed along his hand causing it to shimmer out of excistence. "They were fr...allies of ours. Anyway where is this City of steam?" Even after their deaths Maiathreen will couldn't say that they were friends with any of the Blades, one doesn't lose sleep over the lose of business associates.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Trying to focus on both their escape and shooting at their pursuers, Rhavenna's next shot is no better than her first, sailing far wide of her target.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Mai and Livain

At Mai's question she nods and brings a claw out to draw a rough map, indicating roughly where you were and the direction you'd have to go in order to get to the City of Steam. "We would follow the sun where it rises, taking a few days and heading near the frozen steppes at the upper part of the deadlands. The place of steam is backed by a great lake and it is there are kind is kept. Many toil beneath the earth, others are but playthings for the rulers of that city."

She draws what could only be a wall, fortifications and other indicators that the city itself was densely defended. "The city of steam produces weapons, weapons it uses against other cities. They are cruel, often breaking their own kind and destroying that which others create. They are warlike, can only be..." Her teeth were showing as she looked down at her crude map before crushing it under her fist. "... Crushed. It is all they know. Break them, free our people, destroy those who try to stop us."


Rhavenna

Your arrow goes wide much to the loud amusement of the larger wolf whose glare was bone chilling to meet.

Tidue & The Elder Move faster in an attempt to catch up, moving past Rhavenna just before she loosed her arrow and moving past Aslan as they tried to maintain distance from the charging wolf pack.

The wolves were closing in from both sides and the rear, flanking and trying to surround the group. But the parties constant movement left them unable to completely engulf the party. Thy number nearly three dozen wolves led by a the injured larger wolf.

A shout from the Priory was followed by the toll of bells. The sound rang out and the wolves slowed their attack. Their momentary pause was interrupted by a swift volley of arrows from those on the parapet of the priory.

Spoiler:

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 1 = 5

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 5 - 1 = 15

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 1 = 6

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 - 1 = 13

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 - 1 = 8

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 5 - 1 = 13

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 - 1 = 7

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 1 = 21

1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 9 - 1 = 9

2d8 + 2 ⇒ (2, 5) + 2 = 9

of the ten arrows fired only two found their marks, one lands dangerously close to Rhavenna's hooves. The arrow having gone very wide due to the distance and the winds, that was the hope at least...

The elder barked. "We need to start running or they will drag us down." Saying that he turns, despite all of his movement previously and tosses one of the stones he was carrying at the leader of the wolves before it could fully close in on Rhavenna, its current and closest target.

Elder's Throw: 1d20 + 15 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 15 - 4 = 22
Wolf Fort: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

The larger wolf's howl sounds distorted by the exploding stones thunderous din. The blast caught Rhavenna and Aslan as well in it, leaving their ears ringing...

Fort Save Aslan and Rhavenna please. DC 15

_____________________________________________________________________

Locations Distance from Priory
Tidus 160 ft
Elder 160 ft
Rhavenna 170 ft
Aslan 170 ft

Wolves defeated 1/???

Large Wolf Distance from group
20 ft from Tidus
20 ft from Elder
10 ft from Aslan
10 ft from Rhavenna

Other wolves distance
varies between 10-30ft from all party members

________________________________________________________________________

The wolves appear to disorientated by the sounds and their leaders suddenlack of moment and are regrouping...


Actions from aslan needed

After that it will be the parties turn again as the wolves regroup.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Fort: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


She had moved but only to raise her sword in preparation. She spoke in a guttural language, growling angrily as she faced the oncoming larger wolf in her Mountain armor. Aslan hated running, especially from creatures she hated more. Sylan but spoken with a dark and cruel way "Come and taste my steel Fallen! Let me cast your blackness into eternal darkness!"

MA: Move 40 ft
SA: Readied action to strike any wolf that gets near.
1d20 ⇒ 2

Her blade shined with an almost murderous glow, the runes glowing red with the light of a torch as Aslan's eyes clouded over in utter rage.

0/d use Rage on self.


The larger wolf appears annoyed by the stone but its nostrils flare at Aslan's challenge. It snarls and appears to be ready to lunge when it glances skyward. Its guttural language was more like a grow through its clenched teeth. "You dare mock us?! Former Mountain Lord!" It stands to its full height as arrows from the Priory rain down, injuring some more of its followers and one glancing off its shoulder. "Your territories are ours! If you wish them back. Face us, alone! If you are afraid then be silent! Or will you run, again?" It turns to its injured pack and gives a few short barks, which sends the lesser wolves running back for cover as it starts to back off.

It turns back, heading for cover as it breaks off the attack along with its large pack of wolves. The Elder sighs in relief but watches warily alongside Tidus whose twin blades were out instead of his blackened bow. Apparently he had prepared for the inevitable clash ahead of time.

At the edge of the forest the larger wolf howls out at Aslan once more. "Remember! Our challenge stands!" With that still echoing in the air it disappears back into the winding forest you all had so recently escaped. Leaving the group exhausted, shaken and ready to sleep for a fortnight.

The Priory gates remained closed however, though the lights now adorning the parapet and cessation of the volleys of arrows was a relief.

Combat over


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Sylvan:"To face them all on your own would be absolute foolishness. Your pride isn't worth your life." Rhavenna says in Sylvan to Aslan as the wolves back off.

"So anyone have any idea what we need to say to get them to open the gates?"


The Elder looked at Aslan and Rhavenna as they conversed in Sylvan, though he didn't say anything until Rhavenna asked him about the Priory. He looked back at the now fully manned and defended parapets and sighed, more out of fatigue then frustration now. "I knew the Abbotess, we were... Close once." He puts away his stones and sheathes his weapon, waving for Tidus to do the same. Which Tidus complies now that the danger is passed.

As Tidus sidles up alongside Rhavenna once more the Elder adds. "But that was years ago, most likely she has retired or passed." He moves towards the Priory, waving for everyone to stay behind him. "If things get ugly, run and find shelter. I will cover your retreat. But that's if."

You all approach the Priory and when within about thirty paces of it a sharp shout pointedly halts you all. "Not a step further!" The sound of drawn bowstrings makes your breath catch. "State ya business or sod off!"

The Elder, arms spread to show he wasn't armed responds far, far more kindly than the way you all were received. "Who leads this Pri-?" He is cut off when an arrow strikes the ground, inches from his feet. The archer nocks another arrow expertly and levels the bow higher this time. No warning shots apparently the next time. Sensing this the Elder spoke as requested. "... I seek audience with Abbotess Kia and safe haven for my companions and I."

This time he isn't interrupted by bow shot and in fact the entire parapet seems abuzz by his odd request, the loud mouth from before though drowns any derision in the ranks. "Safe Haven? You bring Worgs and worse to our doors and you expect u-!"

The man pauses, mid speech as a frail hand takes hold of his armored shoulder. He stands back, silent as a gravestone, as a dark skinned woman takes his place. She looks towards the elder, her short silver hair wavering in the cool wind, she was like a shadow but her cool blue eyes felt like they pierced your very soul as they passed over you. She turned and waved her hand in a sign of command. The soldiers lowered their bows, half of them spread out to perform rounds, while the other half descended into the Priory. She then waved her hand in a sort of come hither way towards the rest of you before the woman followed the soldiers into the priory, leaving the loud mouth behind on the parapet.

It's the work of several minutes, but the gates finally opened and she was standing in the opening. Fully clad in armor, appearing to be in her sixties and her helm hanging from her belt at her side. She approached the Elder, who was quite taller than her. Standing only at a modest five foot and three inches tall herself. "Hello Ki..." She cupped his old face as he spoke and pulled him down to her level, she inspected his wrinkled face before taking her hands away and slapping across the cheek. Hard. Leaving him with a shocked expression.

With a voice like a gentle whisper she scolded him. "Don't get fresh with me Flatdirk. You leave ages ago and return at your leisure to cat call me in the middle of the night? You deserve far worse for making me worry for ages and..." She grabs his armored collar and pulls him in roughly for a long kiss. Finally she pushes him away again. "... that is for finally asking for my aid. Now come inside before you freeze. That wolf won't bother you here." She heads inside, beckoning for the rest of you to follow.

As the Elder dumbly enters a droopy smile on his face the woman looks back at the motley crew following him in. She waits until each of you are inside before shutting the doors behind you. Abbotess Kia's men then sealed the door with a heavy timber and three seperate bolts that were locked in place with separate keys.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Inside the Priory

A wave of fatigue hits the entire group, your legs become shaky as the heat and the sense of safety saps the last of your strength. The womns urgent words brings you back into focus, your vision had started to double as your eyes must have been crossing from exhaustion. "Easy now, don't collapse on us or else we will have trouble moving some of you."

She leads everyone to what appear to be a pair of unused guest rooms, save for Rhavenna as the rooms were not meant for Centaur's. The woman was about to say something when Tidus starts to shift around the furniture to make more room. Much to the terrible glare of the woman's dour attendant. "There. Now you can fit in here Rhavenna." The woman, with a bemused expression on her face comment lightly after Tidus's remark. "Far better than what I was going to be forced to suggest. Though There are only these two rooms." She points to the Elder. "We have much to talk about, your usual place is prepared." She nods to her attendant who whisks the Elder away almost forcibly as she turns to the rest of you. "I will have the cook bring warm soup and plenty of broth, we will get additional blankets for the larger of your companions as our home tends to get a bit drafty. Tonight I suggest you eat hearty and get plenty of rest. Introductions can wait until the morning. Enjoy~"


Later in the Priory

True to her word, warmed up blankets were delivered to both rooms. Soon after you had settled in a light knock came upon each of your doors before whoever it was made their entrance. An Elven woman peeked in checking to see if you were all awake before coming in with a large tray, four bowls of soup and aromatic vegetable broth. Two large steins held something that smelled luxuriously like spiced fruit. "Abbotess told me to bring these round, if you need more ask when I come to take your dishes. Marilynn, pleasure to meet you travelers." She points to each dish in turn. "We have a carrot, onion, leek with parsnips in thick broth." Pointing to the steins she remraked casually. "October ale with a good dousing of honey, don't slug it down or you won't be able to stand. Keeps the chill off and warms you up."

She looked Rhavenna up and down before adding politely. "Apologies, I wasn't informed I had a centaur as a guest,I will bring you more helpings post-haste."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aslan stood at the broad doors, exhausted and raging with anger, the haughty paladins and their beloved keep made her sick. She knew of this Priory, now that she was standing before it, she had passed it many times in her travels. This had once been part of her domain, until she went mad and the Fallen snatched it up from under her. It was a reminder of what it was like to hole up and hide, instead of facing the infestation like she had for so many dark nights and lonely vigils.

The pack leaders challenge made her guts twist, she wanted to tear that Worg's head off and shove it up its hind quarters for good measure. Rhavenna's cautionary word of advice made her smirk. Of course they didn't understand, they weren't from Ioberia, they were from the soft western lands of milk and honey. Aslan couldn't help but be like the mountain's she once ruled, hard and cold as she spoke. "I cannot ignore the challenge, for to ignore it means death either way. In the eyes of my celestial lord I cannot let this pass."

She looks to the Elderly paladin then. "Will you allow me in if I return later this night? I can pay in furs or gold if you require compensation." She towered over this paladin and begging like this made her want to hit something.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

YAY! But not yay!

A little earlier

She looks at Aslan, the woman's face an unreadable mask as she looked the larger woman straight in the eye. Several long moments passed before she answered in her same quiet whisper. "Of course, our doors are open to all. I will pass word to the guardsmen to be ready to expect you." She looked to the two who had helped open the doors. "You will remain here and open these doors when she returns. Be fully armed and ready of course."

She looks back to Aslan then. "If you haven't returned by first light then don't expect us to go looking for you. Outside these walls and beyond our sight you are on your own." This was a plain statement and pointed as she turned on her heal and went inside. "Good Luck to you."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Fair enough, didn't expect... it." She bit back her tongue, knowing full well that provoking these goodie goodies would result in the doors being locked when she returned.

She looks to Tidus then, slugging him hard in the shoulder. "Don't be rough on Rhavenna while I am away."

She doesn't even pause as she smirks and looks at Rhavenna once more. "Don't try and stop me, don't offer to go with me. Sometimes you must walk alone, its our way, the Ioberian way."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Earlier

Tidus face was unreadable as his mouth literally gaped at Aslan's comment momentarily before he closed it and grunted in response. Seeming at a lose of words in the face of this barbaric woman.

Later In the rooms of the Priory

Tidus makes himself useful by getting the blankets arranged in what could be assumed as Aslan's room and helping set things up in the other room. He looks at the bed, which was set on the floor already, before nodding to Rhavenna. "Much better than a stable, which I bet was what she was going to suggest."

Tyg Who i momentarily forgot about wasn't so lucky, though to the Priories inhabitants surprise the Stag willingly went to the stables. Either too tired to fight or seeming to know that Rhavenna was safe, though he had looked back at her as he was led away by the wary guardsmen.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Earlier

Rhavenna looks at Aslan incredulously as the woman boldly announces her intention to face the wolves alone. Her shock is even greater as her words become reality.

At her comment to Tidus, Rhavenna almost chokes, blushing furiously, while giving the gladiator a sidelong glance, a tiny smile manifesting at his own reaction.

"I understand....I still think you're insane, but this is obviously something you need to do. Try not to get yourself killed." she says genuinely.

Later In the rooms of the Priory
As Tidus begins rearranging the room, Rhavenna smiles, realizing he was doing so for her benefit, the glare of the attendant making her have to stifle a chuckle. When the food arrives she nods graciously, thanking the Elven woman for her attention and the understanding that she needed to consume more than her companions.

"You're right I'm sure. Thank you Tidus, for everything." the centaur ranger says with a warm smile. As she notices Tyg looking back as he was led to the stables she gives the mighty stag a nod and a small smile as well. "I'll be fine."

Heh, between Tidus and Tyg, Rhavenna's starting to feel like a princess.


"I'm not done with you two yet." She turns as she speaks, moving into the darkness, waving as she moved to follow the wolves.

Bluff Check: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Perception DC 8:

She wastrying to hide a smirk as she walked away, but the darkness failed to hid it from Rhavenna at least....

Tidus though, that was another story.

"Besides I won't be the one dying tonight..." With that she gives a final way and a soft light bursts from her hand.

Cast lesser restoration x2

She felt the exhaustion wash away and gave a guttural grunt before moving into a sprint. Her killing intent could melt snow, she was beyond angry and now that she was challenged she wasn't about to let any of them escape.

Julian and I roleplayed this at the table, it was good to roll some real dice again

Later
Surrounded and completely outnumbered. Aslan stared down the pair of mated Worgs she faced. "Come at me cowards. Or are you afraid?" She laughed as she mocked them openly. Pack or no pack she planned to butcher them all...


Aslan

Her mockery wasn't taken well, the mated pair gave sharp barks and the pack descended on the lone Aslan. Though her reach was much more brutal then theres...

The wolves tore at her flesh and lunged to latch on and drag her down despite the heavy losses she inflicted on them. The mated pair joined in the carnage and savagely threw themselves at Aslan. Intent in her utter destruction and maintaining their strangle hold on the reaches.

A vast pool of blood stained the snow for yards in every direction by the time it was all over...


A few hours before morning Aslan returned to the Priory, though she dragged a great many corpses behind her and two large ones on her shoulders. She was covered in the blood of her enemies, she'd have left bloody print in her wake if not for the smear of blood from the two dozen wolves she had bundled together and was dragging behind her.

When she reached the gates she looked up at the guardsmen, unamused and exhausted once more. Some of her hair had been torn out in the fight and her clothing was absolutely horrid now. Had she not been wearing armor she'd more then likely froze her breasts off as her shirt now constitute a mere flap across her chest. "Let me in." She emphasized her demand by lifting the two dozen wolves with one hand wrapped around the rope and dropping them unceremoniously before the gate, while still shouldering the now departed alpha and beta Worgs that had led the pack.

As she stood there her cheek finally healed up, painfully cinching itself shut as she grinded her teeth in pain. The Worgs had harmed her far more then their underlings, but she was happy with the result.


Later with Aslan

The guards gave a disgusted look and at her asking they shook their collective heads in denial. "Your not coming in like that." The soldiers chuckled until her withering gaze made them step back. "Jus- Just be patient. We need to take you somewhere you can be cleaned but those animals stay there. We'll get them."

A few minutes later the gates opened and out came an Elven woman in light armor and carrying a skinning knife. She gave a slow whistle at Aslan's handy work. "Finally. Fresh meat. Looks like the soups gonna be a bit thicker for the next month boys." Some of the guards looked heartened by her statement and that's when Aslan noticed a different person in the mix. One wearing light robes and looking all the world as serene as moonlight.

This person waved their hand, intoning a spell that summoned up a great disk, to which they beckoned for Aslan to get on. "I am here to take you to the bath, though you will not drag blood through the Priory please."

The soldiers moved to untie the ropes around the former wolf pack and grimaced at the hewn corpses. The elven woman shrugged, nonplussed by the hack job on all the wolf fur. "Salvageable. Though these big ones look much more intact..." She noticed one was missing its head, the larger of the two. She didn't give voice to it before motioning a pair of soldiers over to relieve Aslan of her burdens.

Rhavenna

Tidus runs a hand through his sweat covered hair before nodding, looking directly at Rhavenna. "After guiding me for hours, its the last I could do. I know that couldn't have been easy on you either after that death march... And I'm sure we could both sleep for a week after that nonsense." He says with a lighthearted chuckle, before taking a spoonful of the soup that the Elf had brought you both. "Ooooh. Now this... This is divine." After speaking so reverently about his soup his eyes lit up and it was obvious he was remembering something. He takes another spoonful, swallowing it roughly down one before reaching for a wrapped and tall object. He turned and presented it to Rhavenna and coughed slightly, choking a bit in his haste to devour his soup.

"I've also been meaning to give something back to you. Though its a bit late now." He unwraps a long wooden object that had been nestled up to his bow. It was the staff of life from before. The one that Wallace had handed him before. "If you don't have the room to carry it then I can keep it on me for now. But thought I'd let you know I hadn't lost it." He chuckles at the last bit, like it was some admission.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM Corerue wrote:

Mai and Livain

At Mai's question she nods and brings a claw out to draw a rough map, indicating roughly where you were and the direction you'd have to go in order to get to the City of Steam. "We would follow the sun where it rises, taking a few days and heading near the frozen steppes at the upper part of the deadlands. The place of steam is backed by a great lake and it is there are kind is kept. Many toil beneath the earth, others are but playthings for the rulers of that city."

She draws what could only be a wall, fortifications and other indicators that the city itself was densely defended. "The city of steam produces weapons, weapons it uses against other cities. They are cruel, often breaking their own kind and destroying that which others create. They are warlike, can only be..." Her teeth were showing as she looked down at her crude map before crushing it under her fist. "... Crushed. It is all they know. Break them, free our people, destroy those who try to stop us."

"When do we head out?"


Mai and Livain

She looks between you both, noting your injuries as she spoke. "When storm passes, we will fly. I can carry those not able to." She pats the cave floor then. "If there is a place you want to go then we go there first. Then city of steam. But rest is needed and the storm will take time. These mountains are fierce."


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Rhavenna smiles as Tidus brings up guiding him through the darkness. "I'd happily do it again....well not happilly go through all that but be your eyes anytime you needed it..uhm..you know what I mean." she finishes, blushing slightly. As he delves into the soup, raving about it, she laughs tasting it as well. "Damn, this IS good! Glad she's bringing more."

When he unrolls the Staff of Life, she looks at it with a sigh, taking a moment to remember Wallace. The man had been irritating, a little scary and crazy as hell, but he'd been one of them, and she'd remember him along with the other fallen comrades that had been lost to battle. "Thank you Tidus....heh I find myself saying that a lot don't I?" she says with a wink. "I'm glad in all the chaos you were able to keep a hold of it. I should be able to carry it alongside my lance. By the way, that bow of yours is pretty impressive." she says as they continue eating.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aslan bites back a snappy remark about not bloodying up the Priory. She responds coldly, though plays it off as being tired which she partially was. It wasn't easy killing wolves, fun but tiring."That's fine, my feet hurt anyway." She moves over to the disk and tests it first, making sure it wasn't going to spill her to the ground when she attempted to sit on it. Seeing it was solid she does as asked and lays down, a welcome relief to a long and seemingly endless night. "Where to driver?" She quipped at the robed woman, hoping to maybe ruffle her well pruned 'feathers'.


Rhavenna

Tidus smiles warmly as Rhavenna blushes, at the mention of his bow he looks over at it. "It is... it was something I thought I'd lost during my time as a Gladiator." Setting down his, now empty, bowl. He picks it up and looks at it for a long moment before offering it to Rhavenna. "Test the string if you wish."

A knocking on the door heralds the Elven Cook returns, a small cart sits outside the room as she glides in like she were walking on air. Her eyes drifted over each of you and she arced an eyebrow momentarily at the strange bow before picking up your empty dishes. She returned to her cart, the light clacking of her kitchen tools could be heard.

She entered again and set the refilled dishes back where they had been before, she went to her cart a second time and returned with a small cauldron that smelled of the stew. Setting down a large stone with its center hollowed out and filled with a burning liquid, which emitted a soft light close to that of a torch, as it burned a very pleasant scent could be smelled. Though this fragrance was hard to identify, seeming to be made up of hundreds of fragrance but not overwhelming, instead it was calming. It was over this low fire that she set the cauldron, keeping its contents warm as she slipped a small ladle into it. She refills each tankard with fresh drink and steps back, waiting to see if anything else was needed before nodding politely before leaving. She slowly closed the door before mentioning quietly. "The baths are in the lower level, less drafty down there. Whenever you are ready Sammy will guide you down there. Enjoy~" With that said she closed the door gently with a soft clacking as the door jam slide back in place.

Tidus, still holding the ashen colored longbow, which appeared to be made of a single piece of petrified wood that appears to have been burnt black. "Their overly hospitable nature unnerves me." He chuckles good naturedly.


Ascendent Rowan HP: 135/144 | AC: 25 T: 14 FF: 22 | F: +14 R: +13 W: +15 | Init: +2 Per: +7 | Smite: 1/1 LoH 7/9 | CMB +9 CMD 23| Effects: Resist Acid 5 Cold 5 Elec 5 AoC 10ft |Senses: Darkvision Perception +11 Aura courage (10 ft.), resolve (10 ft.) Speed 60

Herpa Derp, Sorry there was in a posting frenzy and miss clicked. >:(


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"It is a bit odd, though given what we've had to deal with lately I wouldn't jinx it." Rhavenna responds, laughing. Taking the bow in hera hands, clearly showing the weapon respect, she tries the string.

1,151 to 1,200 of 1,330 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Iobaria: The Fallen Empire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.