Into Unknown Shadows

Game Master Mowque


151 to 200 of 3,431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina gives a low whistle in appreciation for scene before them. She makes sure that Tekk stays put. "There's no way that there aren't traps of some sort in this room. Let me map out a safe route."

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

From a safe place, Shalina studies the mosaics on the floor to see if they told a story of who was buried here.

knowledge,history: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

"We're fortunate that kobolds don't know the ancient tongue. Otherwise this would be all destroyed as well."

What kind of gold objects are in this room? Shalina will leave the sarcophagus until last to look at.


Shalina detects a number of traps, pressure plates built into he floor. The bard has no idea what they do, but they don't seem safe....

The story is a fairly common one, the highlight of the ruler's life appeared to be: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

A final scene shows the Pharaoh single-handlely fighting off a dragon.....

Tekk stays put but looks eager to explore.

The only other objects are three heavy chests, stone and built into the wall. You can't see details from across the room.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

After finding the pressure plates, Shalina decides to try to stabilize the floor so that Tekk is able to enter. She gets out her tools and looks to disable the pressure plates or at least jam them so that they couldn't be triggered.

Can she take 10 or 20 on this? Or would you like me to roll?

Once the floor was dealt with, Tekk is able to enter and Shalina cautiously moves towards the chests to see what is inside. Hopefully one of them contains the item she's looking for.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

So I'll just give you options. Her disable device will either be 25, 35, or what I roll...

disable device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33


Shalina manages to block the pressure plates and they step into the room. As soon as they do so, there is a rumbling shudder in the floor at the far end. Suddenly the floor mosaic bursts asunder, spraying loose rocks and gravel. It pings dangerously off the golden walls.

A large humanoid figure arises from the rubble. The hulking, roughly humanoid is faceless save for two glowing gemstone eyes. Shalina can instantly tell it is a earth elemental.

It growls and takes a step forward, ignoring the pressure plate, as well as the poison arrow that follows.

Tekk curses and says, "Do we stay or flee? It has been trapped for a very long...I doubt it is in a good mood."

I'll provide a map if you fight it.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina watches the arrow embed itself into the elemental. At least now I know what the pressure plates do.

"Maybe we can draw it out of the room. Then circle back around and close the door, keeping it on the other side. They're usually not that fast."

How much of the room is coated/made of gold?

knowledge,nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 For more info about earth elemental
knowledge,planes: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 Alternative roll since it is an outsider

The archaeologist knew they didn't have much time to formulate a plan but she had come much too far to be chased off by a pile of dirt.


Every surface but the floor is covered with a thin crystal layer over molten gold

Shalina recalls earth elementals are slow, not very bright creatures. Determined and patent they make good watchdogs but not very good fighters, often relying on brute force.

Tekk looks at her and adds, 'What if it can push through the door like it did the floor? Can't they 'swim't through rock?" But the Paladin seems ready to fight this thing.

Roll Initiative

Shalina does notice the elemental, a rocky humanoid with glowing jewel eyes also has a bracelet on one wrist that is glowing red hot.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

"It shouldn't be able to push through gold which is a metal but it probably could come through the floor again. Good point."

Knowing what she did about the thing told Shalina that she would have to keep moving and stay out of this thing's reach.

"It has a bracelet. The fact that it's glowing is disconcerting. Be careful."

Is there any roll she can make that would give her an idea of what the bracelet does?


You won the initative. Map is HERE. An arcana roll would tell you about the bracelet.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

knowledge,arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Shalina steps to the right out of Tekk's way (N5 assuming it's safe) while unslinging her crossbow and loading it.

With rapid reload, can she also fire this round? She'll also drop the rapier so that they still have light.


Shalina has never seen such a bracelet before but it reminds her of reading she did, of early pyramid construction. her uncle made her read many old books and many of the early pharaohs had enslaved elemental help build tombs and other massive structures.

I'll say you can shoot. Shalina needs all the help she can get!


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

+1crossbow, point blank shot: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 1 = 12
damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Can she do another knowledge arcana or spellcraft roll to determine if there's any way to remove the bracelet? Maybe if she removes the bracelet then they can be friends ;)

I don't know why I even try to attack anything. I should always just run away...


Bard's aren't built for fighting! It is my fault for giving you all this combat-y encounters. Either I need to change my approach or you need to change your build,lol. Assuming you want to keep Shalina, I will think on how to spice it up without just throwing more monsters in your way. Also, I added some pillars to the room to give us a little more dynamic feel.

Shalina's crossbow bolt goes wild, pinging off the gold wall. To her horror she sees it crack the crystal and a fine dribble of molten gold oozes out, hardening quickly and sealing the crack.

Tekk surges forward, shield held defensively. He keeps to one side, to allow Shalina free shots. His sword slashes out, and he manages to cut the elemental a little. There is no blood of course, but some gravel spills out onto the artistic floor.

Roaring the elemental pushes forward with two mighty arms and Tekk is thrown back against one of the pillars. He doesn't look hurt but the force of the push cracks the crystal and hot gold pours on him, making him curse in pain.

The gold idea was one I had for an old game and never had a chance to use. Good idea?

Some of it pools on the floor, but the cracks are small enough, for now, the cooled solid gold seals them.

Shalina can recall little of the bracelets used to control elemental. Breaking it would surely do the trick but is there a way to damage it without grappling with the strong elemental?

I have thought of a way or two...using your gear


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I like Shalina but I can rebuild her. Any suggestions? Multiclassing or changing completely?

I like the gold idea. It seems like gold is also a nemesis of mine. A previous GM turned one of my rogue's hand/forearm gold as a curse. I had to play a lot of that game one handed until she could get the curse lifted.

The liquid gold behind easily broken crystal was fascinating for the archaeologist. She wondered how easy it would be for her and Tekk to push the elemental into one of the walls and have it coated with molten gold but decided against that for now. Instead Shalina focused on trying to remove the bracelet and hopefully freeing the elemental. If she could grapple the creature's arm long enough for Tekk to smash the bracelet, that might work.

There's either the grappling hook and rope or else there is her mw whip in conjunction with her animate rope spell. Either way she'll need to make a ranged attack. Which is stronger, mw whip or silk rope?


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I couldn't find any weaknesses for an elemental (assuming one of my knowledge rolls gives me the info). Are earth elementals vulnerable to water?


For classes, I feel it is mean for the GM to try and tell a player to change. It is my job, not yours.

Hmm, I think the silk rope is stronger, for what you need

Rule wise, they aren't. Earth is supposed to be weakened by wind (by lifting them off the ground and such) but I don't see a way for to do that, myself.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Don't get me wrong. I'm ok with Shalina being ineffective in combat but I also don't want Tekk to resent having to rescue her all the time :)

Shalina pulls out her grappling hook and rope and begins to swing it to build up momentum. She lets it fly at the earth elemental in an attempt to entangle its arm.

ranged: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

I don't think that hit, surprise surprise, but I'll leave that to you :)


A few upcoming wrinkles will be non combat based, I promise. That said, having a tougher class might help in a solo game. What about a gestalt? Or something like that?

The hook misses, clattering on the stones.

Tekk shouts, and renews his attack, which hurts the elemental some, but ti replies the same way, pushing him against the gold, causing more to burst from the ruptures. This time, it continues to pour, hot and thick, from t he walls. It pools around Tekk's feet.

"Get it right this time! The paladin shouts, burns all over his neck and shoulders, not to mention bruises from where the mummy and now this elemental punished him.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I didn't know that gestalt characters were possible. That's definitely something I'd be into. Maybe Tekk will give her some fighting lessons when this is over :)

Shalina retrieves the grappling hook and takes a deep breath before swinging it once again. "Don't let that harden around your feet!" she yells back. Recognizing the trouble they'll be in if Tekk is unable to move she wills luck to be on her side as the projectile soars towards the elemental.

ranged,archaeologist's luck: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 2 = 16

Do you by chance use Action Points? she asks for no reason at all. And if so, I'd very much like to use one if this is going to miss :)


The cord tumbles through the air. It looks as if it'll fall short but then a breath of air, random perhaps or the laugh of a distant god nudges it and it catches on the arm of the creature. It roars in confusion and tugs on the rope, hard.

Shalina Str checl: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Tekk uses the chance to move away from the flowing, hot gold and circle the creature.

I should roll for you more often. Ok, you lassoed the beast, now what?


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I guess it's official. The dice roller doesn't hate Shalina, it hates me :)

Shalina clings to the rope and tries to dig her feet in to further anchor herself. She's still surprised that she was able to hold the elemental. Once grappled, Shalina yells, "I don't think I can hold it much longer. Can you break the bracelet it's wearing? It should free it from servitude. Hopefully it'll be grateful and quit trying to kill us."

I don't think she can grapple it and break the bracelet herself so hopefully Tekk can do it.


In case you were curious, I was thinking using a acid flask to damage the bracelet

Tekk nods, mutters a prayer, and leaps into the fray. The blade sings sweetly, a sound not heard in this tomb for millennia. The swing is graceful, almost lazy in it's smooth grace.

The tip just hits the bracelet. it shatters instantly, the fragments steaming like hot coals as they scatter. Tekk wheels and tries to avoid retaliation.

The elemental stiffens though, as if turned to unliving stone. A long moment passes then it bellows in some unknown tongue, sprints for the exit and then vanishes into the stone floor outside the room of gold.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina doesn't have any acid...only alchemist's fire and I didn't think that was a good choice in close quarters.

Shalina breathes a sigh of relief before rushing over to Tekk. She covers some of the burns with her hand and begins humming a song to activate her magic. Healing energy flows into Tekk which eases some of his hurts. "Thanks for the assist. I couldn't have done it on my own." She gives him a weak smile. "Good thing I was right about the bracelet. At least it's finally free."

Casting CMW on Tekk

Shalina looks around the carnage that had ensued from the short combat in the small room. "This encased liquid gold is truly fascinating. I wonder how it's accomplished." She had decided to leave the sarcophagus until last. So she carefully moves towards the chests, making sure that there weren't any more pressure plates in the floor to deal with.

Again the archaeologist expected traps to be present on each of the chests and so she begins to study them carefully.

I don't think she can take 20 on this, can she take 10? Also, do you want me to roll for each chest?


Since you can take your time to a degree, I'll say you can take ten, if you are just looking. What skills, Perception? That is a 19...

Tekk mutters his thanks and rubs his formely burned shoulders, and eyes the still bubbling gold pooling. "I never thought I would ever have to worry about gold burning me. I wonder if it is real or just magical.." Then he turns to Shalina, "Good thinking with the bracelet. How did you know that?"

Shalina stares at the three chests. Each is solid stone, built into the wall and floor. Each is inlaid with a different color gem, purple, green and red. The lids are thick with no easy to access cracks or handles. Each has a thick, overbuilt lock on the face. Shalina detects no obvious visable traps, but they are built into the wall and may hide many mechanisms.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina smiles at his question. "Lots and lots of reading. Before leaving, my uncle made me read everything he could find about pyramid construction. I read something in passing about the pharaohs enslaving elementals with magic to ensure their help. I hoped that it was the reason it was attacking and that breaking it would free it to go back home. Like you said, it must have been here for awhile and probably wasn't happy to be here."

I thought you needed to use perception to look for traps. Can you use the disable device skill to look for traps?

It was obvious to the archaeologist that these chests were never meant to be carried off by anyone. The only way to see what was inside would be to figure out how to open them. The different colored gems piques her interest and she immediately wonders if there was some sort of pattern involved that she'd have to match. The next thing that catches her eye is the huge locks.

Are the locks just key locks? Can Shalina use her appraise skill to determine what type of gems they are?


Mostly me thinking outloud. Perception is best, yes.I suppose one could stretch and argue Knowledge Engineering?

The locks are big, heavy and metal. They appear to just be normal average locks though, just big strong ones.

Feel free to use Appraise. No harm in roll and asking after!


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

What other items are in this room other than the sarcophagus? You said it was sparse but I thought there were some gold items mentioned.


Just the sarcophagus, the chests and a few statues, which are covered with the gold filled Crystal. The old Osrion gods of Toth, Ra and Anubis. Each as a set of jeweled eyes. Toth green, Ra red and Anubis purple.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

knowledge,religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
knowledge,history: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

As she looks around, Shalina spots the statues and asks Tekk about them. "What can you tell me about Toth, Ra, and Anubis? Do the color of their eyes have any significance?

Where are the statues in relation to the chests?


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Sorry for all the questions...do the locks actually look like they're locking the chests or are they just decorative?


No harm. The chest locks look very real and very effective

Shalina can tell the inlaid gems match those in the statues. Purple is amethyst, red is ruby and green is jade. All very valuable, doubly so in ancient times.

Tekk says, peering up at the gold-covered statues, "I don't recall any links to gems or colors. Toth is my own god, wisdom and intellect. Ra that of the sun and glory and Anubis that of the afterlife. I am sorry."

Shalina can think of nothing that links the color with the gods. The statues are on the far side of the room, but in the same color pattern as the chests.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Before Shalina takes a crack at the locks, she goes over and studies the statues a little more. She looks for any differences between the statues as well as the similarities. She hoped that something would point to how to unlock the chests.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

She also begins to hum the tune that she learned to reveal magical auras.

Will cast detect magic while studying the statues and then will keep it activated to look at the chests.

Are the statues directly across from the chests? Toth across from the chest with the green gem, Ra across from the red gem, etc?


The statues are finely made, although the details are hard to make out under the layer of shifting, flowing gold. They are large, about half again to human scale, set on solid stone pedestals. She detects no magical auras, or any magic.

She does detect magic, illusion, on the chests. All three of them in equal measure.

Yes, they are straight across


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

disbelieve/will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Upon detecting magic on the chests, Shalina first tries to see through the magic by telling herself it wasn't real. When that didn't work, she tries to determine what spell may be in place on the chests.


Shalina can tell the magic is some version of Mirror Image, making duplicate versions of something. The bard makes no progress in seeing past whatever illusion, if any,s he can see right now.

Tekk squats down besides her. "traps?" he asks, [b]"In the stories, a giant rock or something always falls on the people like us.[b]


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina nods. "Most certainly traps and I'm doing my best to make sure a giant rock doesn't fall on us. It seems like there is some sort of illusion on the chests. I was hoping that I could figure out whether the color of the stones on the chests meant anything but I'm currently drawing a blank. I may just have to try picking the lock and see what happens." She smiled at Tekk, "You may want to wait in the next room. That way the giant rock will only fall on me."

I'm thinking that only one chest is real and if I try picking the wrong lock then the illusion triggers the trap but I can't think of a way to figure out which one is real.

Shalina gets out her tools. "I'm thinking I'll start with the chest corresponding to Ra. Pharaohs often believed themselves to be Ra incarnate, didn't they?" Looking back at the statues to confirm the color she says, "That means the chest with the red gem."

Does it help her at all to roll perception for traps again before starting? If so, she will. If it won't tell her anything new then she won't

disable device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25


Tekk nods, "Ra is most associated with the throne, in old days. As for leaving..." he grins and holds up h is shield above Shalina's head. "If I leave, who'll hold up the ceiling?"

Shalina fiddles with the lock. She hears a muted and distorted click, of opening mechanisms but when she tries the lid, it doesn't budge at all. After a minute of so, another muted click. Then silence.

"No rocks." Tekk adds helpfully.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Did she try all the lids when she heard the click or just the lid of the red-gem chest?

Shalina didn't voice what she was thinking out loud which was Silence is the calm before the storm. "No rocks is encouraging but the fact that the lid isn't budging is not. The click I heard sounded distorted which makes me think that maybe I tried the wrong one. Let's try your god next and leave Anubis for last."

[ooc]She'll move to the green chest after looking around the room to make sure nothing has changed with her failed picking attempt.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 For observing room
disable device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28 Green chest


The clicks were after the first lid

The room appears the same and Tekk agrees. The gold flows on, sparkling under Shalina's light.

The lock is easier to pick this time and she hears the same distored click but no movement on the lid. After a minute another click, then silence.

Tekk is exploring the room, examining the statues. "It sounds like you are making progress." when he hears the clicks but then sees her frustration. "No good.'


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Trying to stay focused on the task at hand, Shalina says, "I guess there's just the purple chest left. If nothing opens after this then I'm missing something. Most likely the order in which the locks need to be picked."

disable device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32 purple chest


Want a hint?

The same thing happens again. The lock is picked, but the lid doesn't open. After a bit another click.

The silence of the tomb is deafening.

If you like, assume you can open the locks at will. You've got them down now.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I would love a hint. Is the silence getting more pronounced?

...or was that my hint?


You are unlocking the chests with your Disable Device...is your hint. Also, there are two solutions although the other way would be tricky and involve getting covered in molten gold...


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Can Shalina tell if the chests are even capable of opening? Also, do the gemstones move at all (like buttons)?

Now that Shalina had the hang of unlocking the chests, she tried different combinations of the order in which she unlocked them.

What kind of time lapse is there between the clicks? Can she roll perception to see if she can tell where the clicks are happening? Further inside the chest? From a different chest?


The time lapse is about a minute or so. That last idea has definite possibilities...Want to try it?

Shalina fiddles with the chest for awhile, and despite the weird muted quality (and the shifting sounds of the tomb), the clicks are not coming from the lock she is working on.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Yes, yes I would like to try that

Shalina called Tekk over. "I need another pair of ears. Whenever I pick a lock, it sounds like the click is coming from elsewhere. Maybe if we can figure out where the click is happening, it'll help determine how to open them.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


ugh,a te a post

With Tekk's help the pair soon deduce that when Shalina picks a lock, it is unlatching another chest. Working together, they soon figure out the pattern.

Green lock=Red Chest
Red lock= Purple Chest
Purple Lock= Green Chest.

During one of the tires, Tekk pries open the lid slightly and holds it. "It works! The chest is open...should I open it all the way?" he asks, nervously.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina was instantly by his side. "If you can hold it then I'll take a look for traps before you open it all the way."

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


Tekk, trembling, slowly eases the heavy stone lid open. Only a small grating sound is heard, stone on stone. Grunting a bit with the effort, he finally opens it, propping the lid against the stone wall. The inside glows with a green light, matching the outside chasing. Inside....

the stone chest is empty. Totally and utterly empty of even dust.

Tekk growls in disgust and makes to slam the lid.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina stops Tekk before he slams down the lid. "Let's wait until they're all open before we start closing things again. Maybe they all need to be opened first." Shalina moves on to the next lock and waits for Tekk to get into position to open the corresponding chest.

So I'm assuming no traps with her perception roll? Also, it was the green chest that was opened so Shalina had unlocked the purple lock?

151 to 200 of 3,431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the Shadows- Solo Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.