Into Unknown Shadows

Game Master Mowque


101 to 150 of 3,430 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Shalina, fooled by the rippling sand, misses entirely, her blade sinking into the soft sand, throwing the cavern into darkness. In that moment of blackness the creature strikes.

No AoO by you...the thing has the feats

It rears up, silent as death, tentacles reaching out to grapple Shalina.

Grapple: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Shalina is grappled by the beast, strong tentacles gripping her, drawing her toward the toothy maw.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

A string of unladylike expletives emit from Shalina which are quickly muffled by the creature's body as it drags her towards it. Twisting her body to the point of almost dislocating her shoulder, she attempts to wriggle out of its grasp.

escape artist: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 and fails

Sadly there are too many limbs and as soon as she frees herself from one, another quickly takes its place and regains its hold on the archaeologist.


The beast clings to her tightly, thick jointed limbs clutching her. It's skin is hard and scaly, rough on her, slicing through her clothes.

The teeth at the center of the horrible mass gleam with slime.

Bite: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Still, Shalina manages to narrowly avoid the grasping maw. As she does so she sees Tekk suddenly arise behind the creature, like a spirit out of old stories. His face is set and grim, sword held high over his head.

It flashes like lightning bolt as he brings it down directly on the center of the creature. The blade nearly cleaves it in two and green blood splashes Shalina. For the first time it hisses in pain and vanishes into the floor, only leaving a green stain on the sand.

Tekk kneels next to her, sword forgotten in the sand. "Are you alright?"


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina gives him a weak smile, "Good to see you out of the sand." She quickly checks herself for signs of fresh wounds and finds none. It seems like her clothing took the brunt of any damage. "I think I'm ok. Ugh, this blood is disgusting," she says as she wipes some of the green muck off her cheek. Then she sits a little straighter, "Is Hijen ok? Did I at least keep him from getting hurt?" Seeing that the camel was scared but unhurt, she slowly gets to her feet having been unceremonious dumped on her rear when the creature vanished. "Thank you for saving me. I'm not really used to playing the damsel in distress but I'd hate to think what would have happened if you hadn't been here. It just had too many limbs."

She retrieves her rapier from the sand and moves to reassure Hijen to calm the camel further. "Shall we continue before something else finds us?

I don't think that Shalina took any actual damage during this encounter but that reminded me that she technically had about 10hp of damage from before although she would have healed herself up by now since she was at the oasis overnight.


Back in action!

Together again, with Tekk now in front, the trio move into the caverns. As they make progress Shalina notes the cave becomes wider and squarer, and signs of worked stone and designed angles become evident. There is not hint of habitation but something of intelligence once labored here. Tekk shrugs, saying he has n ever come this far before.

Suddenly, coming around a bend, Shalina finds herself outside, the cool desert air feeling keen and sharp after the long time inside. A pale rising sun reveals a vast panorama around her.

The cave has emptied them half way up a great bowl of quarried stone. Vast tiers, dozen of feet high, ring around them, heading up and down. Vast blocks, some fresh edged, others barely started, fill the space, left as they lay. The space is vast, empty and more then slightly spooky.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Glad to have you back :) Happy late-Independence Day

Shalina was grateful for the fresh air but was increasingly unnerved by her surroundings. Who built these structures? How long have they been here? The questions kept flooding her mind and she tried to find anything distinctive that may give her a clue as to what she was seeing.

Not sure what kind of knowledge roll she'd need...history? engineering? other? I'm assuming that these structures are separate from that of the pyramid we're going to which raises her following questions.

"Tekk, how close are we to the pyramid? Do these structures resemble the pyramid in any way? I wonder who built them and more importantly, are they still around?"


Tekk shrugs and squints, "Close. Very close." He points a finger to a ridge just past the edge of the massive quarry. "Just over that line." He looks around, "This must be where they quarried the stone for the pyramid, if I had my guess."

Shalina Know. Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Shalina can see the quarry is old, very old. Sand, wind and even rain has washed many of the edges clean and all the old tools are long gone. She sees no sign of kobolds though, not even at the base of the pit, hundreds of feet below.

Tekk leans against a wall. 'Sun is coming up. Shall we rest then venture on at dusk or what?"


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina nodded, "Rest would be most welcomed. I see no signs of kobolds or anything else here so it would be a good place to camp. Should be somewhat defensible as well...provided nothing comes out of the caves."


Shalina and Tekk, followed by Hijen find shelter besides one of the half-finished stones, still fused to the rock wall of the quarry. It stands, looming over them, a relic of a dead age. The shade is deep and cool however, and high above Shalina can spot distant eagles circling.

Tekk falls asleep quickly, and Hijen seems to enjoy the shade and rest. Desert lizard race past, chasing invisible prey.

Plans?


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

With Tekk asleep, Shalina stays awake to keep watch in case the kobolds found them or some other creature. She rests in the shade until Tekk wakes up. Once he's awake, she curls up and dozes off to make sure she's rested to explore the pyramid.

If she can explore a little while keeping to the shade then she will but she doesn't want to be directly in the heat so if there isn't any shade, she'll stay put.


Shalina glides between the deep shadows with practiced ease. She sees little living apart from tiny lizards and a few small scorpions. Behind one stone though she sees a full wall, taller then her, inscribed in hieroglyphics. They are weathered and faded, scribed in a old Osriani dialect.

Shalina Linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

It seems to be talking about the pyramid though, about how the old king drove off a dragon before building it here, and how the scaly creature promised revenge.

The king, apparently a nasty bit of work, sealed his tomb with the undead bodies of his political rivals. Not only was it a statement of his power, but also a guard for future tomb robbers.

Shalina finishes reading just as the sun starts to set, cooling the desert almost instantly.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

If I misunderstood about the undead thing then I can amend my post, just let me know.

A kaleidoscope of butterflies takes flight inside Shalina's stomach as she reads about the king sealing his tomb with the undead. Memories flash through the archaeologist's mind of her time spent in the necropolis back home. She knows she isn't very adapt at dealing with them. The chance of there being undead and not just regular traps in the pyramid gives Shalina pause. That and the possibility of a dragon's revenge. Neither situation should be trifled with.

She makes her way back to where Tekk and Hijen are resting and she flops down beside Tekk with a loud sigh. "I found some hieroglyphics about the pyramid. There's a chance that we may encounter undead. Hopefully they're not ghouls...I hate ghouls." Shalina continues as if she'd forgotten something. "Oh, and the king who built the pyramid pissed off a dragon who then promised revenge. It seems like we have fun times ahead."


Tekk smiles a bit, 'You had to find old writings about the tomb? You do know that means we are going to find an undead dragon or something." he sighs and stands up, looking toward the setting sun.

'Let's go." Carefully, they leave the massive quarry and are back into the sand dunes.

Shalina Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Shalina can pick out the ancient road the stones must have been carried on, centuries or millennia, before. It has long been covered with shifting sand, but she can sees traces of it on old rocks.

Soon they round a dune and Shalina can see the pyramid. Well, most of it. Only the top half sticks out of the deep sand, pitted and brunt with ages of sun and sand. The side facing away seems to lead to rocky areas, so that was probably the main entrance. There does seem to be a door or window facing them though, a dark hole in the side of the massive tomb. The sun fully sets behind them, throwing everything into darkness.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina channels her magic into a tune that she hums to once again cause her rapier to glow with light to chase away the darkness.

She looks around for a safe place to leave Hijen since she doesn't really think he'd be able to enter the pyramid with them.

Once Hijen was settled, she gathers her gear and turns to Tekk, "Shall we?" Shalina cautiously approaches the opening in the side of the tomb and looks for any traps or obvious threats.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

She uses her lit weapon to take a look inside the opening in order to best determine how to proceed.


They leave Hijen in the lee of a large dune, close to some tiny scrubgrass. Tekk nod and adds the kobolds would never catch him in the open desert and he;d find his way back to the oasis with no trouble.

Together the pair approach the dark hole in the pyramid. The rock of the monument is pitted with age and abuse, nearly crumbling under Shalina's fingers. A number of stones have fallen out, leaving a rough passageway inside, at least part way. It is narrow and would require being bent double. Squeezed, rule wise.

The interior is inky blackness with no hint of air.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina strokes Hijen's nose and tells him that they'll be back soon - or so she hopes.

She looks at the narrow passageway with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. "Let's hope my uncle's source of information was a reliable one. I'll go first to make sure the space doesn't get too small for you and also to look for traps. I'm interested to see whether the sphinx or the hieroglyphics or both were right about what lies within."

Is the passageway horizontal or sloped downwards or drops downwards? Is walking going to cut it or do we need a rope to descend?


You can crawl/squeeze in. It is just a rough passage

Shalina leads the way, her lit blade providing just enough light to scramble down the rough tunnel. Obviously not built, but created by the passage of time, it is rough and jumbled stone. Some of it feels worrying loose, as if it could collapse at any time. The stone is rough and hard under Shalaina's hands and knees.

Two points non lethal damage

Finally it connects with a real passage, and Shalina is able to stand, Tekk crawling after her. Holding the sword up, she can see she is in a 10 foot wide corridor, with a high ceiling she can't touch, even with the outstretched sword. The air is hot and close, dry as dust.

As she gets her bearings, she hears footsteps.

"Who dares violate the tomb?" The voice is hoarse and deep, echoing through the walls. A human figure, wrapped in traditional mummy garments rounds the corner, the steps slow and measured. "Begone, foul thieves." From behind, Shalina thinks she hears...rustling, from some type of animal.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

That didn't take long for someone to find us. Although I guess you would guard all potential entrances.

Shalina watches the figure warily as it approaches. As she prepares to defend herself against the incoming threat she says, "Not violating, but rather exploring. There are wondrous stories about the king who had this pyramid built and we came to learn more about him. We are not thieves."

bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


"Wondrous king? Pharaoh Imtep killed my family, stole my lands and locked me in here. Your studies will be cut short."

He lurches forward, the steps not clumsy but slow. Tekk murmurs behind Shalina, "I don't think talking is going to work."

The mummy walks right at the archaeologist, hands outstretched. The rustling noise from around the corner grows louder.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

"I think you're right, Tekk. But you never know unless you try and now we know more about Imtep. You hear that rustling approaching, right?"

To the advancing mummy she says, "If you hate Imtep so much, why guard his tomb?"

How big is this hallway again? If I were to toss alchemist's fire, is there enough room to not hurt us? Does she need to make a knowledge roll to determine weaknesses/abilities or are we assuming she knows?


"It is not my will, but that of my servitude. It is now part of me, my curse to defend the one that I hated."

The mummy's blank face twists and turns in agony. The hands clench and unclench in rage and anger.

He is probably too close if you stand still but there is room for you and Tekk to back up. I'd say Shalina knows a fair bit about mummies in general. A roll can't hurt though.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Not sure what knowledge roll - I'm guessing either nature or religion (since it's undead). It seems more intelligent than I would expect a normal mummy to be or maybe that's just my movie prejudice :)

knowledge,nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
knowledge,religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Shalina backs up and motions for Tekk to do the same. She pulls a flask from her bag as she continues her conversation. "Is there a way to break your curse so that you'd be free?"


Shalina knows mummies are often vulnerable to fire. A chatting mummy such as this is not uncommon, although he does not have the right accent for an ancient entombed lord. Did he have contact with the outside world?

The creature roars in a tired rage. "Who am I to know? I was no wizard or magician. All I know is Imtep locked me, and a hundred others, in this tomb, bound with foul magics. Less of us now, that the lower levels have been taken.." the voice is slow and rambling.

The mummy's pace quickens, nearly breaking into a trot.

One more round until he attacks


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina continues to back away as the mummy's pace quickens. She realizes that she's running out of time and space but feels the need to ask another question or two. "Lower levels taken by who? Plus you don't seem to have been one of Imtep's slaves, were you?"

With the mummy's intent very clear, all Shalina says is, "I am sorry." With that she lobs the flask of alchemist's fire at the mummy.

Will try to get a little more info but totally understandable if there's no time.


"A Slave!" the voice booms. "I, Ruler of the Eastern Waste, holder of the Jade Specter, master of a thousand farms. A Slave!" Rage feels every movement and it starts to charge.

Ranged Touch Attack: 3 + 3 + 1d20 ⇒ 3 + 3 + (15) = 21

The alchemist fire hits it directly in the chest. The glassd breraks, throwing a wreath of bright green flames across the chest.

Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

The mummy howls in pain as the flames lick and shrivel the outer layers of clothes and wrappings. Instead of trying to put it out, it instead lumbers forward. Without a pause, Tekk throws himself in front of Shalina with a shout.

The mummy attempts to slam the paladin against the stone walls.

Slam: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Tekk lets out a loud shout as the blow knocks the wind out of him. He curses and gets back to his feet, sword held out defensively.

From behind the mummy two small shapes enter. They are quick, skittering creatures. Two mummified...lizards? Long tongue hang from dry, dust filled mouths.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

"Ok, ok, not a slave," Shalina mutters. She reaches for another flask of alchemist's fire and throws it behind the mummy in an attempt to catch the lizards along with the ruler of the eastern waste. The time for talk and niceties were over. As it was she feared she may have let it go on too long and Tekk had suffered for it.

Will the mummy continue to burn this round?

I assume that if Tekk is on the verge of collapsing that you'll let me know? She would heal him if he's in dire straits.


he is firmly alight. Tekk is a bit rattled but he is fine. I will give you warning. He is a paladin. he can take a few punches but this mummy does pack a wallop! I am sorry it went to combat despite talking, I promise that not all encounters are 'railed'. I would note that your diplomacy has impacted both this fight and the one with the kobolds!

Shalaina heaves the alchemist fire. It misses slightly, not catching the burning mummy. It lands between the lizards and the undead, creating a temporary barrier of flames.

Tekk, muttering a prayer to Toth, swings his sword in a overhead arc at the burning mummy. Shalina sees a gleam of light along the blade as he does so, flashing in the dark tunnel.

Sword: 1d20 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 3 = 20

The blow catches the mummy at the shoulder.

Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 5 = 9

It doesn't do much damage though, just slicing the wrappings at the shoulder, the rough bandages parting.

Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

The burning fire seems to do more damage, coursing over the mummy.

Fully aflame, it attempts to push through Tekk to get to Shalina.

Bull Rush: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

With a rush the Paladin is thrown aside like a ragdoll, slamming into a rough wall, and the mummy runs toward Shalina, groaning in anicenet pain.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7
GM wrote:
I would note that your diplomacy has impacted both this fight and the one with the kobolds!

You mean for the worse?

Shalina is quite certain that this mummy was not going to be satisfied until he pummeled her into the ground. She knew there was no way she'd be able to get far enough away from him to use her crossbow so she'd have to keep moving and hope that the fire would eventually do him in.

Seeing him push passed Tekk, Shalina goes on the defensive in order to keep away from the angry mummy. She moves further away from him drawing his attention in the hopes that maybe Tekk will be able to attack its vulnerable back.

She'll use her acrobatics to evade the mummy and go all out defensive since he's running at her.


Feel free to roll Acrobatics in the future

Shalina falls back, giving ground before the burning mummy. While it is strong and angry, the mummy is not very quick. Shalina easily outpaces it, moving back elegantly.

Behind her though, she feels some changes in the floor. Instead of rough stone for the floor, it becomes wide flagstones, well-laid and carved. Shalina senses they are trapped.

The mummy continues to burn, but maybe not quite as brightly.

Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Tekk, gathering himself chases after the mummy. He is swift, despite the blow and slam. His sword, still slightly shining.

Sword Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 3 = 19

Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 5 = 9

Bad luck on damage rolls!

Again the sword does little damage, despite making good contact.

"Shalina, watch out. Keep running, I can take him!'


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina felt the floor change and immediately was filled with a sense of danger. When Tekk yelled at her to keep running which suggested he was going to continue as well, she knew it would be too dangerous until she could take a closer look. "No, stop! Don't come any closer." The intensity in the archaeologist's voice gave the paladin pause.

Changing directions almost instantaneously, Shalina pauses slightly to allow her pursuer to get a little closer - hopefully making it too close for the mummy to avoid the trapped floor. After all, she knew it was difficult to quickly change direction when momentum was pushing you forward and you were somewhat slow. Shalina then begins running towards the smoldering mummy. She is able to squeeze past the mummy in a series of quick movements. She dodges a grabbing fist and weaves past one of its legs before she takes off towards Tekk, grabbing his arm to pull him with her. "I'm pretty sure the floor is trapped in that direction. It's not safe."

acrobatics: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

Shalina slows and watches to see about the mummy's fate. Hopefully it was too slow to change direction in time and would become a victim of the suspected trap.

Not forgetting about the mummified lizards, Shalina stays alert.

I'm assuming that the acrobatics roll allows her to get past the mummy but let me know if I'm wrong :)


Nice roll

Tekk nods, "Common in these old tombs." He grins a bit, teeth glittering in the dark. "Also, nice dodging."

Even as he says so the mummy steps on an flagstone. The stone creaks, sinks and a dozen crossbow bolts fly out, striking the burning creature. It roars in frustration, more then in pain.

As it does so Tekk runs up, sword swinging. But before she can see anything happen, she hears sounds behind her.

The flames died down and the two dust bound lizards leap forward, snapping at Shalina, nothing between her and the foul creatures.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina matches Tekk's grin. "Thanks!"

As Tekk moves one direction, the bard turns the other way to meet the lizard threat. Shalina gets her weapon in between herself and the desiccated reptiles. Lunging forward, she tries to skewer one.

rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Her previous adrenaline surge to avoid the trapped floor, or maybe over-confidence, causes her to over-correct her attack and she ends up stabbing between the lizards rather than hitting one of them.

She always gets awesome rolls for movement but then never hits anything...


Shalina misses the lizards, which hiss and dance back. Behind her Tekk and the mummy battle, Tekk getting more hits then he gives. The undead growls in rage so loud dust floats down from the ceiling.

One of the lizards spits dust and attacks.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Missing the other one darts in as well.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina does her best to shut out the battle noises going on behind her and focuses on the two lizards before her. Did that lizard just spit dust? She watches with a mixture of fascination and revulsion. There really are a myriad of creatures out here that I have never encountered.

Making sure to keep moving so that they are both in front of her at all times, Shalina lunges at one with her rapier.

rapier: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

As she moves, she also tries to kick dust at the other lizard. Not being adept at using dirty tricks while attacking, her intended attack never landed.

Again with the miss with her attack. Apparently this dice roller wants Shalina to be a messenger of peace.


Apparently

The lizards dance at the edge of her range, skittering in and out. behind her, she can hear the mummy and Tekk battling. At one moment she sees the undead bodily heave the paladin against the wall.

As it happens, a huge stone shifts. The sound of grating rock fills the chamber, and a small passageway opens besides Shalina. The floor is smooth and clean, and a waft of very dry but very stale air comes out.

Tekk circles the mummy again, putting his back to Shalina.

'Shall we?" he asks, nodding to the tunnel.

Shalina notes some magical runes on the entrance and the lizard's don't seem to be getting too close.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

"That was fortuitous." She looks at the undead surrounding them and starts towards the tunnel. "Looks like the better option."

Would it be knowledge arcana to determine what the runes say or cast read magic?

Don't think there's time to look for traps so we'll just go with it :)

Once they were in the tunnel Shalina says, "Sorry you had to get body slammed in order to find this tunnel. If you're hurt, I can help. One of the lizard's bit me but I think it's just a flesh wound."


Both always helps.

Tekk shakes his head. "Later." and follows her into the tunnel. the lizards hang back, claws needle sharp on the dusty stone.

The mummy comes to the entryway of the tunnel and raises his arms ominously. "And so you are sealed, as are we." With one mighty slam he hits a small panel and the massive stone slides down, sealing off the doorway. Shalina and Tekk are trapped in the pitch-black tunnel.

The tunnel is well-kept, perfectly smooth with no art or design on any of the walls. There is no dust or decay here. It as if it was carved yesterday.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

I don't think there'd be time to cast read magic so I'll go with knowledge,arcana

knowledge,arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Shalina makes light bloom in the dark once again. "He's a jovial fellow. He must be invited to all the undead parties."

She takes a look at where the opening was a second ago to see if there was a switch on their side.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Peering into the darkness at the edge of her light she says, "I guess we go that way. The lack of dust in here is fascinating. I can't wait to see what mysteries this pyramid has to reveal." With that she cautiously moves forward, leading the way and relying on her instincts to keep them safe from danger.


The writing on the door is simple and workmanlike. It is simply a set of spells to turn undead. It looks very strong. Some other writing, seems to indicate that this tunnel leads to lower levels. Judging from the little writing, it is a service tunnel built for the workers to move around.

There is a switch, a simple obvious lever. No decoration or hidden passages here.

"This part must have stayed sealed, all these years..." he says, admiringly.

Tekk follows Shalina, and she catches him observing her, making sure she is ok and unharmed. For his part, he seems to have a few scratches and lumps. A nasty bruises is forming on half his face.

After a bit they come to a cross-roads. Left, right and straight-ahead stretch ahead. Tekk shrugs, "Which way?" The left goes up, right goes down and ahead is level and flat.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Shalina agreed with Tekk, "This tunnel was definitely well-made."

When she catches him observing her she looks a little sheepish before she says, "I'm really better at defending myself than what you've seen."

At the intersection, Shalina pulls out a piece of chalk from her bag. She marks the hallway that they are about to exit near the ceiling so that it isn't obvious to passing eyes and then considers Tekk's question. "If I designed a tomb I would put the burial chamber in the middle, surrounded by challenges. I'm probably wrong but I think we should continue to go straight."

I always pick the longest line at the grocery store too so I seriously think I'm picking wrong but we'll go with that :)


Clever

Tekk nods, "It makes sense. The chamber would be in a place of honor, yes. That would fit the old ways." He runs a hand along the smooth, sure stone, a bit wistfully.

The way straight ends very soon in an abrupt wall. All it has is a lever, much like the one that would have opened the door they came through. It is very simple and workmanlike, no ornamentation or cryptic passages.

The perks of the utility entrance!


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Thanks. It happens sometimes :)

Upon seeing the other lever, Shalina quickly checks for traps of any sort. Not that she expected any but it was better to be safe than sorry.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Assuming she finds nothing alarming to keep her from opening the door.

Finding nothing alarming, the bard turns to Tekk. "Shall we see what's behind door number two?" With that she pulls the lever to open the door and peeks out the opening to see what she could see.

Assuming nothing attacks them outright, Shalina will take the time to mark this door as well near the ceiling. She'll continue doing this to hopefully keep them from getting lost inside the pyramid.


The door grinds open, gears crushing centuries of sand. It is slow and ponderous. The way before is pitch black, until Shalina waves her blade.

It is soon revealed to be a massive chamber, arched ceilings dozens of feet above their heads. Massive niches hold statues looming above them, painted in bright colors. The floor is a mosaic of the ancient Osrioin myths and legends. Shalina note Tekk seems riveted by them.

After this awe-inspiring moment, Shalina sees the damage though. Chests and casks have been smashed everywhere, piles of wood left scattered. The statues have been mutilated with graffiti and any jewels long ago pried away. Even the coffins are turned over and despoiled, with no respect. Even common thieves would not be this terrible...would they?

A number of doors lead off, most leading down.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

knowledge,history: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
knowledge,religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Shalina was visibly angered at the wanton destruction of something that had been so beautiful. Her fist clenched and unclenched as the extent of the damage was revealed by her light. "How could anyone do such a thing? If I ever caught someone doing something so disrespectful, I would see them severely punished. This is no way to honor the history of those who have gone before us."

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Can Shalina tell who may have destroyed the items in this room or how long ago it happened? What about the graffiti - words, drawings?

Seeing the initial look of reverence on Tekk's face as he surveyed the room, she asks, "Is any of this familiar to you? Not the destruction but rather how it was intended to look.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Anything specifically of interest in this room? If not, she'll pick a door.

linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 If needed for graffiti


Shalina can tell this is a burial chamber, but not where the king was. This was 'merely' an outer chamber full of his grave goods, destined for his afterlife. It would have been filled with gold, jewels and other items, not to mention the mummies of servants and slaves. All of that is despoiled now.

Tekk walks among the ruined and broken items, obviously as upset as Shalina.

The damage is layered. Much of it, the actual theft is very old, centuries judging by the dust. But there are signs of newer destruction and despoilment. Generations of vandals have come here, some not long ago.

Eyeing the graffiti, Shalina discovers it is Draconic, of a dialect most associated with kobolds.

Tekk shakes his head, "Not really. Obviously it should be a place of respect, and patience, waiting for their lord to arise. There should be a entry into the main tomb from here."

Together then find a disguised door, built into a massive arch of the wall.

It has no handle just a hole and words written above. Both Tekk and Shalina can read the ancient, long disused characters.

It cannot be seen, it weighs nothing, but when put into a barrel, it makes it lighter. What is it?


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

What, no 'speak friend and enter'?

Shalina reads the riddle and begins to translate for Tekk but he waves her off saying that he can read it as well. "That's impressive. Not many people can read such ancient language." Then she switches to the riddle. "My first instinct is that the answer is 'air' but I could be wrong." She continues to muse, "Even if that is the answer, what do we do with it? Do I blow into the hole? But then that becomes wind which is different than air." As she talks to herself, more so than Tekk, she studies the door more closely and tries to determine if there are any surprises for wrong answers to the riddle.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Turning to Tekk she asks, "Any additional thoughts? If we choose a wrong answer there will probably be consequences."

Would Shalina get an intelligence roll to see how correct her answer may be? If not, I'm ok with just winging it and seeing what happens.


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

"Or maybe I'm just overthinking things," Shalina says as she speaks the word 'hole'. "Maybe the riddle just refers to the hole since a hole in a barrel would make it lighter if the barrel was filled with liquid."


Tekk shrugs, "I learned it in the course of studying for my faith. One cannot worship the old gods unless you speak the old tongue. In my opinion anyway."

The paladin crouches down beside the hole and peer sin, beckoning Shalina to shine the light. "It looks like there is a handle inside. Maybe we have to answer the riddle and pull the handle?"

He looks up, "Do you have a formal answer?"


Female Human Archaeologist/10; Elemental Kin/10 | 61/95 HP, 0/20 temp HPs; Active Conditions: Raging | Rage = 18/23rounds; Archaeologist Luck = 3/6; Spells Left: 1st-4/6, 2nd-4/5, 3rd-2/3, 4th-1/1 | Mythic Power 4/7

Both answers seemed valid to Shalina depending on the starting circumstances of the barrel but she didn't have the luxury of asking for more information. Sighing she says, "Let's go with hole."

She wants to close her eyes as she pulls the handle but chooses to keep them open to better react to any possible pitfalls. "Better step back in case I'm wrong, Tekk."

She reads the riddle out loud and says, "The answer is hole." She then reaches into the hole and pulls the handle.

I'm assuming there was nothing to find trap-wise or else she didn't roll high enough perception?


No traps but Tekk interrupts

As Shalina reaches forward, he grabs her wrist. 'I won't allow you to risk yourself." he is quite insistent and rolling up a sleeve, plunges his hand into the hole.

He speaks the word and nothing happens. Silent stone.

'Maybe the old tongue?" he ask then tries again, in halting ancient Osrion. His accent is abominable, but the latch clicks and the stone wall slowly recedes into the floor, smooth as oil on glass.

It reveals a small chamber, dark and cramped. When Shalina lifts her light though, it reflects back in bright yellow light. The chamber is coated in solid gold!

The room has a low, arched ceiling, and is rather bare. In the center lies a huge, gold covered sarcophagus. The floor is a complicated mosaic of battle and hunting scenes.

All the gold objects strangely pulse and flash, as if the gold was liquid and still flowing, under a sheet of crystal.

101 to 150 of 3,430 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the Shadows- Solo Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.