Gravel to Granite (Inactive)

Game Master Lareg

Started. Recruiting open. Apprentice-level game (Super Genius Games rule pre lvl 1. Pathfinder @ lvl 1 & beyond). Characters begin pre level 1, gain levels, and classes. Game run on the boards. Characters currently at lvl 2.


1,151 to 1,200 of 2,663 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

filler of waterskins

Shayne laughs at the creature He kicks at it, but gently. Then he tosses his backpack to the ground beside it.

He speaks to it again in Undercommon, but his use of the language is shockingly different. Before his words were obviously full of vulgarities and his tone was an unending argument. Now he speaks calmly and unemotionally, although his face remains cold as stone. "We have defeated you. You are now my slave. Enough talk. Speak only when spoken to. It is not for slaves to determine who is a master! I name you Daggerless. Carry my backpack, slave. And walk carefully: I do not like to see my property damaged. Stay towards the back of the group, in front of the healer."

Shayne extends his hand to help the creature to its feet, but does yet not step forward to make this offer of help genuine. The gnome stares at the backpack, not Daggerless.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Just Silx left for round five actions.

Round five: Rema (action complete), Aak (action complete), Caylen (move taken), Silx (now acting), and Shayne (action complete).


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

I think the party is somewhere between fighting and talking, so right now Silx is just watching and waiting. Until otherwise holding my action


Female Samsaran Monk

Silx has a held action from round five.

Rena looks at Shayne. "A ruse?" (readied action)

Round five: Rema (readied action), Aak (now acting), Caylen, Silx, and Shayne.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Ready action to whoop butt if threatening action taken


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The creature, no longer stunned, reaches for it's dagger.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

ok, NOW ill act haha

As the creature reaches for its weapon, Silx quickly closes in behind it and puts his own knife up to its throat "That's far enough, let's not make this bloody"


Female Samsaran Monk

The creature keeps reaching until Silx draws blood (1d4 ⇒ 3). Once the creature feels the dagger cut into its throat it stops reaching. It babbles a few words.

Rema speaks, "I am no slave. I serve only the masters."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Combat is over. We are no longer in initiative.

The creature says nothing more, remaining still and silent while Silx holds the dagger to its throat.


filler of waterskins

Shayne shrugs and picks up his backpack. In common he mutters, to himself but so Rema can here, "Oh well. The only other claim I could think of was claiming to be a Druid and he was my new animal companion."

To Silx, "I'm done. You question him. How can we avoid his people as we go through these tunnels, so we do not have to kill any others?"


Female Samsaran Monk

"Is there no way to trick him into believing one of you is a master?" Rema looks at Shayne and then Silx.


filler of waterskins

Shayne answers Rema. "I offered to help it think through its crisis. I offered to take it out of its bad situation. It refused both offers. Perhaps we should have just knocked it unconscious and kept going. As the Varisians say, 'Unasked for help isn't'"

To Silx: "Perhaps a Drow can be a master?"


Female Samsaran Monk

"If only we understood what it means by master. It doesn't seem to consider itself a slave. Pausing to think for a moment; I don't think it speaks very much Undercommon. Maybe it doesn't understand your words?


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Caylen furrows her brows, shifts her weight from one foot to another, and then looks to Shayne with a worried expression. Slipping around Shayne and Aak, Caylen approaches Silx and the strange creature. She says nothing, but on her approach Caylen's form begins to emit a shuddering wave of rippling heat and distortion like a mirage. A moment later, as her hair wafts upwards on an unfelt thermal wind, her body erupts into an explosive pillar of white-hot flame and light.

Without a moment's hesitation, she walks through the creature and Silx, th white flames washing over their bodies like warm hands brushing gently over exposed skin. "இல்லை அச்சம்," is whispered inside of the flame before she emerges on the other side of the creature. Caylen solidifies and the flames and light subside, but the creature feels not only filled by an internal warmth, but also its injuries somewhat healed.

Watching the creature with brows pinched together, Caylen asks, "Let us pass."
____________________
Healing Body: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Female Samsaran Monk

The creature frantically shields its eyes until the darkness seems to grow around it. It mumbles frantically while pointing down the tunnel.

Rema listens with concern at the panicked words and then turns to Caylen. "It is repeating, Light-bringer. I show way."


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Grimacing slightly, Caylen curls her shoulders forward and tucks her hands within her sleeves. Offering a sheepish look to Shayne and Silx, the young oracle offers a lopsided smile.

"I'm-- really glad that worked," she says in a whispered breath.


filler of waterskins

Yay! Well done, Caylen!


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Totally expected to get mauled by a dark creeper, there.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Nearly dropping his dagger, Silx uses all his focus not to move as Caylen unleashes her mysterious power. She has done nothing but good so far, so Silx gives her the benefit of the doubt and doesn't move.

Afterwards "That was bea...amazing. Well done"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak's jaw goes slack. He will never fully get used to Caylen and the mysterious abilities that surround her. He is just thankful she is on their side and not going against her.


Female Samsaran Monk

Encounter after encounter you guys totally go in a crazy awesome direction. I totally wanted to find a way forward while staying within the poor little dark creeper's world view. "..more and more [they relied] on the power of magic to help in their survival, particularly the magic found in the borders between light and darkness" (Dark folk). Needless to say I've tweaked PF cannon, but that little gem was to good to pass up.

With the creature's shift in attitude, even the darkness that surrounds it seems less oppressive. It looks toward Caylen while gesturing forward. It speaks now, slower but still excited.

Rema smiles as she translates, "We go ahead. I guide. You protect me."

The creature looks toward Caylen for approval.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

With a nod from Caylen the creature heads forward, slowly at first. Looking back periodically the creature picks up its pace, headind down a narrow tunnel. No more than ten feet wide, you must walk single file at times. After some time the creature slows, coming to a complete stop as an opening up in the tunnel becomes visible ahead.

Perception rolls for all.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


filler of waterskins

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception >6:
The tunnel opens ahead. Dim light from torches flickers ahead as the creature sits crouched at least fifteen feet from the opening. There is a well visible.

Opening


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Perc1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception roll for Caylen: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Caylen:
The creature is whispering to itself. Rema hasn't seemed to notice.


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Anxiously following along, Caylen watches the creature leading them with some concern. When the group comes to a stop, Caylen squints against the dim torchlight and the silhouette of the well beyond. Brows furrowed, she first looks to Rema.

"I-- I thought these caves were supposed to lead out somewhere? This-- this looks like a dead end." But even as she says those words, Caylen notices their reluctant guide whispering to itself. Blinking once, Caylen glances back at Shayne, then looks back to Rema.

"W-- what's it saying?"


Female Samsaran Monk

Hearing Caylen's question, Rema moves forward to listen. She turns after listening for a moment.

"It seems concerned about the path ahead. It is mumbling about how, 'only masters can pass.' And asking if 'the light-bringer can calm the water.' I may understand the words for now, but I'm afraid their meaning is not clear."


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema looks toward the group members, "What do you think we should do? The creature doesn't seem to want to continue forward."


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Looking bewildered by the creature's words, Caylen squints uncertainly and looks back to the others, shaking her head and seeming somewhat helpless. "I-- I'm not sure what it means." Looking back to Rema, there's that same expression of helplessness on Caylen's face before she turns to Silx, hoping that perhaps this means something to someone who comes from a subterranean culture.


Female Samsaran Monk

Seeing Caylen's expression, Rema looks toward the torches (Perception:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23) - thinking for a moment.

"The wall the torches are secured to is curved. Perhaps we can't see the way forward from here?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Perception to notice anything out of the ordinary down the curved passageway

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Listening to Rema, Caylen considers the samsaran's words before she creeps into the room. Looking at the well nervously, Caylen looks back to Rema and the creature that had been accompanying them. "Ah, can-- you ask it why it won't go any further? I mean..." she turns, looking over her shoulder towards the well.

"What's so scary about a well?"


Female Samsaran Monk

Going to assume here that Silx or Shayne steps in to speak to the creature in Undercommon on behalf of Caylen.

Aak:
The creature is about 15 feet away from where the passage widens to the circular opening where the well is, about 30 feet feet from the well. Do you pass the creature?

After hearing the Caylen's question in Undercommon, the creature turns and speaks slowly. It looks toward Rema after it speaks.

Rema translates the creature's words, "Water guards way. Only masters calm water. Can light-bringer calm?"

Once Rema finishes speaking the creature looks toward Caylen.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Current Map

The creature is crouched near M24.

Hidden rolls:
SWEP:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19, SWES:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak will move up unti he is 10' from the well and toss a pebble into the well to see if anything happens


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception roll for Aak.

Approaching closer to the well Aak is able to get a better sense of the area surrounding the well.

Well map

It is clear that the most accessible tunnel is to the right (S22). There may be other openings, but it is difficult to tell without inspecting the rock wall up close.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak looks back at the group as he steps through his comrades edging closer to the well of water. With weapon and shield in hand Aak remembers what the creature said about the "well guarding the way". Thinking about those words, Aak tosses a pebble into the water to see if anything happens.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Perception

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Aak:
As the pebble ripples in the water you're fairly sure you see a face in the water. The face is human like, but not quite right. Just past the tunnel opening to the right you notice a wet robe, there seem to be bones beneath it.


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Nervously watching Aak interact with the well, Caylen creeps a little closer to the half-orc. "What does it mean calm the water? I-- I'm not sure..." Looking to the torches, then over to Rema, the young oracle seems at a loss. In desperation, she turns her attention to Shayne with a hopeful expression that perhaps there's an old story that covers this.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak will turn to Caylen and motion for her to step back with the group, and quietly. He then motion to the group he sees a face in the well.


filler of waterskins

"A face?"

I cannot tell from the drawing of the well whether its outside edge is decorated with runes or merely artistic scroll work. The circle around the well does look suspiciously like the circles used in magical rituals. Is there anything that Shayne can deduce with a Knowledge or Spellcraft roll?

Knowledge (Arcana, Local, Nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Knowledge (all others) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Spellcraft 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

"Hm. How to calm already calm waters? We certainly should before we proceed. Perhaps I should levitate a torch or something else weighing one pound or less, and drop that into the well?"

"Perhaps Caylen can ask our guide more about what makes a Master a Master? If we knew those qualities--whether they are spellcasting, healing, being a Drow, or whatever--that might show us a clue about what the well desires."

Shayne also sings softly to himself, casting Detect Magic.


filler of waterskins

Earlier, during the walk to the well, Shayne did answer Rema's question. "Not a ruse. I know little about slavery, and do not wish to learn more. But I know much about master and apprentice and would name that relationship as slavery if such were the only words our new guide understood. Had it accepted my offer I would indeed have taught it and protected it to the best of my ability. Yet I am grateful it refused, for I remain undivided in my ability to travel with and care for my friends."


Female Samsaran Monk

Shayne:
Between the knowledge checks, spellcraft, and detect magic you're fairly sure that the mostly obscured carvings around the well signify some type of summoning. Aak's description could fit that of a water elemental. The size of the well would only be able to accommodate a small elemental if that is the case.

A cold wind whistles through the tunnel. The creature chatters a bit. Rema turns toward the group.

It says, "A storm is coming. Must stay in tunnels."


filler of waterskins

"Silx, please stand on the opposite side of the well from Aak. I think something we do will cause a Small Water Elemental to rise from the well. You might as well be already flanking."

"Now, if only we knew whether the creature's orders are to fight intruders or interrogate them. It might be more Sphinx than Minotaur...Hm. That might be you again, Silx. We overheard about 'other Drow' earlier."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

After hearing Shayne's take on it being a water elemental and wondering if it is hostile or friendly, Aak readies his armaments in case if is the former.

Silx, move to the spot right next to the well S-27. Be prepared just in case the creature is more interested in killing us then talking.

Move action: wait for Silx to get into position then move to flank with him. Then move to S-24.

When in positions, Aak will "talk" to the well.

[b]Who or whatever is in the well, you will not get the drop on me. I know you are there, and I wish to talk with you peacefully. Please come out to talk.

Aak will keep his shield up, in case the elemental is hostile, but his weapon will be in hand at his side to not be threatening


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

After examining the room, Silx nods and takes up the position "If we can speak aquan they can normally be reasoned with"


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Silx hugs the wall until he reaches R28. When he moves to S27 the water rises into a column. An angry human like face glares from within the water.

Water Elemental

At the mouth of the tunnel (S22) a pile of bones suddenly stirs, rising up to take on a human shape. The long, bony fingers of its free hand reaches out to claw at the living. It holds a cracked stave in the other. It is covered with a shredded robe, that drips with water. Though its skeletal mouth does not move, a voice is heard. "Release me."

Initiative rolls:

  • Aak:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
  • Caylen:1d20 ⇒ 10
  • Rema:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
  • Shayne:1d20 ⇒ 2
  • Silx:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Combat begins with Silx at S24 and Aak at S24.

Round one: Silx (now acting), Rema, Caylen, Aak, & Shayne.

1,151 to 1,200 of 2,663 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A sparce tavern, a dusty inn, and the looming mountains All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.