Galahad's Carrion Crown AP (Team Brawn) (Inactive)

Game Master Galahad0430

Carrion Crown AP (Team Brawn)


201 to 250 of 721 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Nope. He was speaking common. He knows nothing of your situation. But...

As the only response he gets is a look of confusion, Morbury can only assume she doesn't understand him for some reason. Before she turns to leave, he places a hand on her shoulder to stop her once again, and repeats what he said in the Celestial language he was taught as a young man. As she explains herself, Morbury respects her final decision as she leaves and troubles her no more.

"Very well...Hasmir." He says with a bit of difficulty, as if not use to calling others by just a name. "And I completely agree. The sooner we can get to the bottom of this, the better. That necromancy is involved is quite disturbing, I will admit. We probably should investigate Harrowstone as soon as possible. But until the others have returned, I would suggest we find out what we can around here before we do so. We have no idea what Harrowstone might entail." He stops to ponder his last question. "As much as I dislike it, the night favors me. What is it you have in mind? You weren't thinking of Harrowstone, were you? Taking on such a task would be better suited for the daytime, I feel."


male Half-elf Bard 2

Hasmir nodded. "I wanted to have a look at the place the Professor died during the day, yes. To be quite honest, I'd rather we knew more about this before we braved the ruin itself. Tonight, I think some of us can also keep watch at the memorial, maybe we will see just what is going on."

I meant that it is possible that some of us have heard celestial before - clerics and wizards, in particular, but as a bard I would expect Hasmir to at least have heard of it.


Hasmir Talari wrote:
Hasmir nodded. "I wanted to have a look at the place the Professor died during the day, yes. To be quite honest, I'd rather we knew more about this before we braved the ruin itself. Tonight, I think some of us can also keep watch at the memorial, maybe we will see just what is going on."

"Agreed. Until then, what can I do to assist in finding more information on Harrowstone? I would guess there to be a courthouse that would have such information?"

Hey Hasmir, I'm guessing you're asking the DM in your OOC, right? When I read it, it appears as if I was answering your first OOC question. I was actually responding to Kaylea's OOC about if I was speaking in Celestial. I should've been more clear on that, sorry.


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

Reaching into his belt pouch, the Varisian lovingly and carefully pulls out his Harrow deck. He shuffles the deck then draws a card Drawing a card to use my Harrowed feat. 1d6 ⇒ 5 Wisdom.
"The cards say I should accompany those going to the memorial. Meanwhile, Kendra, might I browse your father's library to see if I can anything that might be helpful?"

Sovereign Court

If you make a simple DC10 Linguistics check, you can tell she is speaking Celestial, otherwise it is some strange sounding language.


male Half-elf Bard 2

Linguistics: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 Linguistics Check

"Well kicking around the old boneyard at night might be exciting". "Anything is better than sitting around here with these musty old books". "When do we go"?

Then looking at Morbury "You seem familiar to me for some reason". "Have we met"? "Perhaps in another dimension, with voyeuristic intention? She then covers her mouth with a girlish giggle.

Sorry. Just had a flash that we seemed like the cast from Rocky Horror for a moment there :-)


Morbury goes an unseen deep red. "Um...no, I uh, do not believe so." He says as he stops a moment with a look of thought upon his face as if he could be wrong. Then realizing he would've remembered such a situation, clears his throat, "No, Miss Darcy, I am absolutely sure we have never met." He pulls his cloak back over his head and moves away a bit, feeling extremely awkward.

LOL! That's good stuff! Back and better than ever, hey Darcy? :)


Male Aasimar (Musetouchef) Bloodrager (Urban) 1/Paladin (Virtuoso Bravo) 10 [Champion: 4]

Arigoder nods at Darcy's suggestion, "Indeed. I am far more a man of action than one of quiet contemplation, and I must confess that the need to do something has been plaguing me."

Sovereign Court

Good holiday everyone?

Dryden arrives back from his research at the Temple and has this news on the Whispering Way:

4) Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.

Kendra, obviously, extends the same courtesy of staying here to the new arrivals as well.

We will start fresh with Day 3 in town. Let mw know what you wish to do. There is still stuff to find out about the prison or you could go there. You have yet to check out the Unfurled Scroll also.If you do research, there is no problem splitting everyone up to check at different places. Remember, I do a cooperative roll for knowledge checks during research. Everyone rolls, the people who do not have the appropriate skill only get to assist (as the DC is just 10), and I take the highest roll from the people with the appropriate skill and consider the rest assisting. Plans for Day 3?


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

Can I take 20 on my Knowledge(Arcana) check? If anybody else is going to do research with me, I'll assist them as well

Also, I thought some of us were going to the prison on the night of us new arrivals showing up?


male Half-elf Bard 2

Hasmir would like to check out the site of the death during the day, but won't explore the ruins yet. After that, he may help the researchers - as a bard he can make untrained knowledge checks and gets +1 from BK, so he can at least aid someone else.


Female Human (Shoanti) Dual-Cursed Oracle (Battle) 2
Akydidyka Serrin de Aptal wrote:
Can I take 20 on my Knowledge(Arcana) check? If anybody else is going to do research with me, I'll assist them as well

On a general knowledge check? Standard rules throw that out due to general knowledge checks being unable to be retried after rolled. Taking a 10 on general knowledge is allowed by RAW, but unclear debated by some. For research? It would multiply the time by 20 you probably can't get away with it without at least 3 to 4 days researching continuously and sleeping; 20 days if you're limiting research on any specific subject once per day.

It's the DM's show however, but I wouldn't bank on it. You can however bank on me giving you a reroll on a check if you want it and Kayela is 30ft from you. Though burning it up for the day is only wise if you don't expect to need it for the rest of the day.

Galahad0430 wrote:
Dryden arrives back from his research at the Temple

Dryden.....and Kayela? Is it safe to assume she's back with everyone? and would it be simple to skip the introductions between her and Dryden and assume they met while researching together?

Galahad0430 wrote:
We will start fresh with Day 3 in town. Let mw know what you wish to do.

I'm fine doing the time warp dance and saying it's now morning of day 3, but there were still a few things Kayela had planned for the afternoon/night of day 2. It would also seem the rest of the party lost a full day in the process.

If we're doing time warp dance; is it afternoon/night of day two? or is it morning of day 3? Do the rest of the party members do anything while me and dydren where being studious or did Kendra make an excellent turkey brunch and everyone got to know each other better before promptly falling asleep due to the intoxicating nature of the turkey and it's now morning of day 3?

I'm just confused as to what day/time it is and if anybody else did anything while Kayela and Dryden where away. Once I figure that out I'll post.

On a side note besides research locations what areas of town are interesting? I made a gather information check so I'm assuming she might have got a simple idea of shops/locations in town along the way, even if the gather information turned up nothing important.

Sovereign Court

The new people arrived about noon of Day 2. Dryden (and I guess Kayela, I missed the part where you said she heads to the Temple) get back late afternoon of Day 2. If everyone else wants to go see where the Prof. died on afternoon of Day 2 thats fine, then everyone arrives back at Kendra's place by late afternoon/ early evening.

Sovereign Court

The trail to Harrowstone is easy to follow. Harrowstone is located on a barren hill south of the city of Ravengro, the stark, sagging roof of its central structure visible through a large gap in the surrounding wall. A partially overgrown track leads from the southern edge of town, winding around the base of the hill and then back up along its southern slope to the prison itself. It is easy to find the spot on the wall where the professor died. The gargoyle statue lies broken and there are still blood stains on it.


male Half-elf Bard 2

When they arrive, Hasmir takes some time to "take in" the ambience of the ruined dungeon. He is aware of Harrowstone's reputation, and was curious how much it corresponds to its current state. "So that's the most infamous jail in the entire region," he says, as much to himself as to his companions.

After his reverie fades, he investigates the area, with a particular eye on just how likely it is that the gargoyle statue could have just slipped and fallen on top of someone's head.

Would investigating the scene be a perception check?

Perception:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14, will take 20 if time and circumstances allow.


Female Human (Shoanti) Dual-Cursed Oracle (Battle) 2

I'd make the roll anyways, worst case scenario GM says no.

Alternatively I'm pretty sure you can take a 20 on perception checks. Knowledge Engineering might also applicable though, so tossing in a Knowledge Engineering check might be a good idea. Bardic Knowledge is sweet. Either you'll get pertinent info or you'll be extremely aware of the shape of the gargoyle statue and how it was made. It's not like you can lose anything unless for some reason the statue is covered in symbols of pain or something absurdly kooky. :p


Darcy begins to poke around the area looking for anything interesting. She pauses for a moment at the blood stains...It's hard to believe he's really gone. He seemed invincible...

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Perception

Sovereign Court

All people examining can make either perception or knowledge:engineering checks. Obviously, you can substitute Bardic Knowledge for the engineering.

Sovereign Court

Harrowstone

The professor was climbing the west wall near the northern tower. Why he didn't go through the gates or the detroyed section of wall is unknown.


Male Aasimar (Musetouchef) Bloodrager (Urban) 1/Paladin (Virtuoso Bravo) 10 [Champion: 4]

Arigoder looks over the area carefully, checking for signs of foul play..

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 and Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

Drawing upon the mystickal power of his Harrow deck, Akydi enchances his senses. Using my bonus from the Harrowed feat to gain a +2 to Perception. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 Perception.

My skills are off. I don't think I saved them from when I redid them for the new game, but Perception should be +6(1 rnk+3 cls+2 wis). Then an additional +2 from Harrowed


Morbury takes his turn examining the site of the Professor's death himself.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Sovereign Court

It is conceivable that it was an accident, but there are suspicious marks at the base of where the statue sat on the wall on the inside side of the wall.


male Half-elf Bard 2

Suspicious how? If we have time, Hasmir would take 20 on a perception check (+7 bonus) once someone points it out to him.

Sovereign Court

The marks could be from something prying over the statue. They are on the inside away from where the professor would have been climbing.


male Half-elf Bard 2

"Well, that's interesting," Hasmir says, his eyes narrowing as he studies the marks on the rear of the statue. "It looks like the professor's bad luck was truly extraordinary. And just as he was busy scaling a wall when there was a serviceable gate."

He looked up, just to check if there seemed to be anything interesting about the tower.


"I think we should find out whatever we can about Harrowstone before we investigate. It feels as if we are going at this blindly. Maybe we should try the town hall and see if they have information on this prison. Or possibly the Unfurling Scroll. I would be more than willing to assist, as I must confess, knowledge of such is not a strength of mine."

Quick question; What is it, exactly, are we trying to find out here?


Female Human (Shoanti) Dual-Cursed Oracle (Battle) 2

Not entirely sure; I think you're investigating the professors possible murderer.

One thing that was mentioned in the diary was the strange symbols (runes?) etched along the foundation (not sure which foundation). Those might be worth trying to find/investigate. Copying them down for later study could also prove useful if you can't figure them out.

Otherwise you either make the decision to go inside/explore the prison some, or you head off to do something else. I don't see much else to do here unless your particularly interested in staring at gargoyles.


male Half-elf Bard 2

Yes, we were checking the scene of the death - to see if there are any indications it was a murder, and to find those runes that were mentioned. After that, we can go back, see what the knowledge guys found out, then possibly get a night shift at the memorial and go for some prison exploration tomorrow.


Male Aasimar (Musetouchef) Bloodrager (Urban) 1/Paladin (Virtuoso Bravo) 10 [Champion: 4]

Arigoder will carefully study the marks, missing Hasmir's tone, before nodding, "I hate to say it, but these marks are exactly the sort of thing I expected to see.... and it makes me wonder how... deliberate... others were in not seeing them."

He then nods again at Morbury's statement, "I am torn -- we are here, and I would say the best way to gain knowledge is to do so first hand.. At the same time, I do not want to walk into my own doom, so your point is well taken..." He pauses with a pensive look before offering, "It might be worth pointing out those marks to the Sheriff and trying to determine what the others have learned... and then come back more prepared -- I don't really believe that a few hours of time is an issue at this point"


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

"Wasn't there a mention in the diary of some strange symbols or runes along a foundation?? We should find them" With that, the Varisian starts to check along the base of the prison, attuning his sight to magickal energies Casting Detect Magic

Sovereign Court

A sagging wood and metal gate set between a pair of stone guard towers once barred entrance into Harrowstone, but the gates now hang negligently open, creaking softly in what wind touches the ruined bars.

Inside the walls you see a small brick manor house is overgrown with thick sheets of gray-green ivy. The roof sags ominously, and the front door hangs askew.

The Prison Grounds: Harrowstone’s grounds are contained within a crumbling stone wall, the eastern portion of which has fallen away into a huge sinkhole that formed when the extensive eastern wing of the prison dungeon collapsed after the dreadful fire of 4661—this collapse took with it the prison graveyard, which now lies in ruins at the bottom of the murky pond that filled the sinkhole.

A two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels. Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the building’s facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over the building’s wooden front doors, both of which hang askew and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.

Since you are specifically looking for them.... The ivy and grass have been cleared along the edge where the foundation meets the ground, and along this edge a series of sinuous runes has been etched and then smeared with blood. The runes go around the entire building’s foundation save for the northeast corner, where part of the building has flooded and the foundation has crumbled away. The runes themselves are written in Varisian, and among numerous magical incantations, repeat the name Lyvar Hawkran dozens of times. They do not radiate any magic.

Everyone can make a Knowledge religion or arcana check.


Female Human (Shoanti) Dual-Cursed Oracle (Battle) 2

Protip: Might be worth it to scribe the runes down on a spare sheet of paper or two for later study/evidence even if you're unable to discern their nature. We can always find an NPC at a later date that might have a high enough Knowledge check to tell us exactly what they are.


Arigoder Senari wrote:
"It might be worth pointing out those marks to the Sheriff and trying to determine what the others have learned... and then come back more prepared -- I don't really believe that a few hours of time is an issue at this point"

"Agreed." Morbury nods.

Know: Religion 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


male Half-elf Bard 2

"Yes, yes, does someone have some parchment?" Hasmir nods absent-mindedly, as he studies the runes, muttering a sing-song incantation quietly. "Lyvar Hawkran... Lyvar Hawkran..."

Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


"Lyvar Hawkran? Have any of you come across information regarding who this person might be?"


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

Akydi examines the runes closely, trying to determine their exact nature. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Knowledge(Arcana)

Sovereign Court

Akydidyka is able to determine that they seem to have been part of a larger ritual that involved both abjuration and necromantic magic. There is more to them than that, but the exact ritual eludes you for the moment. However, you might be able to get help from the Temple of Pharasma.


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

The young man takes out a few sheets of parchment and a writing implement and copies down the runes as best he can, as well the oft repeated name. "I think I'll take this over to the Temple of Pharasma, and see if they can help me figure out what these were used for. There was definitely some sort of ritual that took place, but for the life of me, I can't put my finger on exactly what was done"

any chance I can make a Spellcraft check to gain better understanding?

Sovereign Court

Even with a bonus from spellcraft, you would need more help.


male Half-elf Bard 2

"Checking with the Pharasmin temple is a good idea," says Hasmir, stroking his chin. "Perhaps they have more information that could be relevant to this, especially as it involves the ruin. There were supposedly some ghost stories or the like about it, they are bound to keep an eye on such things. Oh, and I heard the Unfurled Scroll - the local magic shop - has quite a collection, perhaps the owner may know something too. I say let's check how this pans out, and if something interesting pops up we can come here again."


"I shall assist you Akydi. Plus, if Hasmir is correct, what information the temple may have on Harrowstone could prove invaluable. Are the rest of you coming as well, or will you attempt to ascertain what information the Unfurling Scroll holds?"


male Half-elf Bard 2

"Both may turn out to be good," Hasmir shrugs. "I prefer to check with the priests, just in case the Scroll's owner turns out to be some snob who really can't discuss such things to simpletons who don't care about the theory of magic, thaumaturgical transgeometry and so on - I slept through those lessons. Still, if no one else volunteers for the task, I guess I will have to make this sacrifice," he sighs. If it weren't for a small smile, his sadness would look quite genuine.


"No need in going alone, Hasmir. Sir Arigoder can assist you. If not him, perhaps..." he pauses briefly, still a bit uncomfortable with the earlier conversation, "Miss Darcy. Or we can all go together. Our odds of finding out the information we need are greater if we work together. So maybe we should all travel to the temple first, and then pay a visit to the Unfurling Scroll? What say you all?"


Male Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer(Arcane) 6/Oracle 6(Lore)

"I'd like to go to both places. The Temple might be able to help us, but I would also like to check out the magic type shop just because."


male Half-elf Bard 2

Hasmir looks upward, trying to judge the time from the sky. He gives up on getting anything more than "it's afternoon", and nods at Morbury. "I don't know the Scroll's working hours, but we should have time. Alright, it might be better if we go together. You never know when someone will notice something curious. It happens all the time in stories, after all, and they can't be all false, can they? he says with a light grin.

Sovereign Court

Everyone meets back at Kendra's house in the evening. Dryden and Kayela relate their discovery about the Whispering Way, while the others tell of what they found outside the prison. You make plans for the next day.

Let me know who is going to the Unfurled Scroll and who is going to the Temple.


Male Aasimar (Musetouchef) Bloodrager (Urban) 1/Paladin (Virtuoso Bravo) 10 [Champion: 4]

Arigoder holds up a hand, "I am no knight, there is no need for such an honorific. However, yes, I can certainly go and pinch the bard each time he starts to nod off..." ...and make sure nothing untoward happens...


"Group tours are always more fun". "I say we all go together to each in turn".

"Really! We're going to be this early"? "Nobody wants to go out and sample the town's nightlife"?

"Oh well". "Maybe tomorrow"?

201 to 250 of 721 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Galahad's Carrion Crown (Team Brawn) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.