GMTheBobJones #6–19: Test of Tar Kuata (Inactive)

Game Master TheBobJones

Where on Golarion | Tatical | CLW


51 to 100 of 402 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Cyrus looks up, now distracted by the prospect of a contest.

"Pardon me..." he trails off as he jogs over to the steps.

"Maybe if you were a bit lighter on your feet Lort, you wouldn't need such heavy armor, and wouldn't have to take it off for a simple race..." he says with a grin.

"On your mark..." he crouches down, ready to spring forward.

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

The Asmodean Inquisitor give the Kelishite a stern look, for his mocking of heavy armor. His black enameled full plate has, more than once, protected his body from aggressors. The red runic highlights are still in perfect condition... as they always are... it would not do to be seen in less than perfect order.

"Government," states Faustus to the dwarf, "is what makes civilization work. I am always interested in local governments... it would not do to break any of the local laws, ordinances, or even social taboos. We must always abide by the local laws, else we would be nothing more than thugs or Aspis Consortium agents. I am particularly interested in those laws and traditions that govern commerce and taxation, being an accomplished Auditor as well as Inquisitor. It is my sworn duty to rout out corruption, be it in the souls... or books... of those that would bring down civilization."


Dice Rolls | Tactical

"Lort, if there was a attack, and you needed to save some villagers far away, would you take off your armor? I think not. If you would challenge me to a foot race, that would be wonderful."

Head to the discussion for a quick guide

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"That would depend upon how far away they were," says Lort honestly, "I do not fear to face my enemies bare chested - even if I cannot mystically avoid attacks like some." He winks as he shuffles out of his clunky armor and puts it in his backpack. Everyone is grateful for Lort's undergarments. If his chatter on the ship was to be believed, the half-orc generally preferred to go without.

Clearly delighted that the monk has accepted his offer, Lort grins broadly at the starting line. Win or lose, the thrill of competition is what he lives for.

".... get set.... GO!" he finishes what Cyrus started, green muscles pumping as he puts his all into the race.

Round 1

Lort acrobatics #1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Lort fort save #1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Round 2

Lort acrobatics #2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Lort fort save #2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Round 3

Lort acrobatics #3: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Lort fort save #3: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Ok I don't have Inner Sea Combat so I am unsure of the Ouat monks archetype, so I have to use Sarjan Level 7.

Base Speed 40

Round 1
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Round 2
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Round 3
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Feel free to post rolls for the challenge, I will weave them in during lunch

The monk and Pathfinders weave through the crowd, and then sprint up the winding staircases in a mad dash, only to arrive at the Pahmet Heights. A semi-circular outcropping that jets over the valley below offers all a wonderful view of the Barrier Wall Mountains. Benches and long tables litter the dining area. Most seats are filled by the small, hairless dwarves, but a few Garundi monks and villagers can be seen also.

On a long table in the middle of the room rests numerous empty bowls and pair of wooden sticks, followed by serving bowls filled with food. The Pathfinders follow Menkha's lead and grab an empty bowl and the wooden sticks. They move to either side of the table and view the food before them.

In a large bowl rests steaming, white rice with a green herb mixed in. The dwarven monks before them fill their bowls almost to the top with the sticky, white grain. After that, on oval patters, are grilled vegetables, ever so slightly charred, topped with a sticky black sauce. They can see seeds littered through out. Menkha turns, "Pepper sauce is quite spicy for those unaccustomed to it. If it is too hot for you, do not drink water, rather eat a mouthful of rice and wait as long as you can before swallowing. At least that is what we tell the children." You cannot tell if she is mocking you or aiding you.

Next small disks of bread are piled a hand high. Where the flat bread has bubbled they can see the outer circular rim blackened as if the bread was cooked quickly over very high heat. Next to the platter are numerous shallow bowls filled with varying liquids. They see Menkha rip a small hunk of bread off, dip it into one of the sauces, before taking a bite and heading to an open seat in one of the numerous benches.

Along the outer wall are pewter pitchers filled with a cold-liquid as the pitchers are streaming with condensation. Empty mugs encircle the pitcher. Another large pot is also on the table, this one must be hot as vapor is issuing forth from the spout. Smaller, clay cups surround this pot.

All in all it is an adequate offering for these austere monks. While the portions are smaller than the Pathfinders are used to, the food is hearty and tasty.

The Pathfinders find there is some room at the same table, but it will be unlikely for them to all sit together.

Anyone using chopsticks needs to make a Dexterity Check, DC 11 - mainly so you can't take 10. Also anyone who tries the peppered vegetables must make a Fortitude save, DC 10, or loose the sensation to taste the meal. Bon appetit!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Lort takes the bowl that he is given. Having already been cautioned to be respectful and to mind his manners, he offers no complaint as to the portion size, nor does he pull his usual trick of 'also picking up a serving for my friend'. He looks at the monks, young and old enjoying the spices. His northern palate is much more used to the plainer things in life, but his orcish taste buds allowed him to survive on Absalom's streets eating little better than refuse. How bad can it be?

Lort seats himself beside a monk who is using relatively generous portions of the pepper sauce on his rice and grain mix. Not wanting to be outdone, Lort opts to pour even more on his own. Of course, more comes out of the bottle than he expected and his food ends up smothered in pepper sauce. Cursing silently under his breath, Lort picks up the two wooden sticks and looks doubtfully across the table at the monk who is looking concernedly back at Lort's swimming grains.

"I'll be fine," Lort assures his eating companion with a confidence that only ignorance can provide. He fiddles with the sticks and nearly snaps them in two before he figures out the half-tweezer half-scissor motion he is supposed to use. The first morsel falls back in the bowl - five times. Lort tries some rice instead. He scraps a lone, pepper-soaked grain along half the length of one stick with the other. Eventually, the fulcrum point shifts and Lort suddenly flicks the grain onto his cheek. The half-orc remains blissfully unaware of how lucky he was that it missed his eye.

Several tense minutes pass. The horrified monk can only look on as more than half of Lort's meal ends up on the table or down his front. Pepper sauce and rice coat the battlefield of Lort's lunch like spicy blood. The only place food hasn't ventured, it seems, is the half-orc's mouth.

"Argh!" Lort cries in frustration. He drops the sticks to the table and scrapes what remains of his food back into the bowl with his hands. He then grasps the rice with his finger tips and moves the food, in an ape-like scooping motion, directly into his mouth. A burning sensation gradually begins to creep into Lort's senses. He scoops another handful of sopping rice into his maw and the sensation abates. Then it returns, more suddenly than before. Eat the rice and keep it in your mouth, it's what the children do. That's what she said, right? What do the children do if they covered their rice in the black pepper sauce? Pausing too long in his thoughts, Lort's mouth feels as though lava were poured into it. His face turns a deep shade of green and he panics. Since it brings temporary relief, he scoffs down the last of his pepper-saturated rice. For a second, he is fine.

Then he sneezes. There is no delay this time. The cruel particles of chillied rice scrape against the thin membranes covering the inside of his nostrils on their way out to the table. The burn is ten times worse there than in his mouth. Then he sneezes again. Agony!

Amazingly, Lort keeps from screaming the lunch room down. Tears stream down his face as he searches for a way to end the pain. He wants nothing more than to grab armfuls of fresh rice from the serving pots and shove the grains in his mouth and up his nose, but he cannot risk the repercussions such rudeness might have on their mission. Instead, he excuses himself with a nod to the disgusted and deeply concerned monk and strides rapidly out of the hall.

Lort retrieves the cask of ale from his backpack and drains half of it in seconds. Relief. He tilts his head back and pours it down his inverted nostrils. More relief. In less than a minute, Lort finishes his entire supply of booze.

Not so long afterwards...

The slightly inebriated half-orc chose his spot well. No prying eyes, and plenty of greenery in need of a good watering. It's amazing how quickly that ale went through him with the pepper sauce in his system. He reaches down and draws his manhood from his breeches.

"Yeaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!"

And thus it came to pass that Lort learned to wash his hands after eating.

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Miro waves to his comrades and goes and mingles with the locals. "Oh really? I happened to be on the Glass River once, back a few months ago. Some crazy s$++ happened, if you don't mind my language. All in all it worked out, but those crazies of the Living God need to take a chill pill, I'm thinking."

The Halfling fumbles clumsily with the chopsticks, supplementing with his fingers after a few minutes of ineptitude. He grins at the heat, but all in all is able to handle it quite well, the meal being extremely tasty.

Dex Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Miro et al - Amauhak from Glass River Rescue is a Pahmet dwarf, the one with the yellow scarf. The Pahmet dwarves are the local dwarf population and from them come most of the Ouat monks.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Back at the stairs...

Cyrus grins, and the sounds of the surroundings fade away. He focuses on his path, picking out where he is going to go, what he will grab, how he will launch himself forward.

No one will beat him today.

Base speed: 30ft

Round 1
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Fortitude: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Round 2
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29
Fortitude: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Round 3
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Fortitude: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

During Lunch

Cyrus regards the chopsticks with a keen interest. It was not part of his culture to eat like this, however, spicy food was not something that bothered him in the least. Grabbing the chopsticks with his nimble fingers, he heaps a mouthful in, savoring the heat and taste.

Dexterity, Chopsticks: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Fortitude: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Turning to a nearby monk, he says, "This dish is fantastic. I've not had it before. Is this a secret you would be willing to part with? I know a feline back home who likes it spicey, and I think it is my turn to cook dinner." Cyrus says, doing his best to maintain proper politeness.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly
Lort wrote:

"Yeaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!"

And thus it came to pass that Lort learned to wash his hands after eating.

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The set up was just as good as the punch line! Ha! I love this group.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi), Summoner 10, HP: 93/93 | AC: 19[21] FF: 17[19] Touch: 13 | Saves: Fort: +11[+13] Ref: +9[+11] Will: +11[+13] | Perception: +2 SM +0| Init: +2 | CMB: +16 | CMD: 27 | Speed: 30 | Spells 1st: 6/6 2nd: 4/5 3rd: 2/4 4th: 1/1| Wand of MA 39/50(1) | Wand of IH 38 / 50 | Active conditions: heroism 200 min, greater invisibility 10 rounds
Lort wrote:
And thus it came to pass that Lort learned to wash his hands after eating.

I kinda saw this coming, and was smiling all the way through. Awesome post, Damien!

Amaranti is no stranger to spiced food, and he approaches the table with good appetite. Big frame requires large amounts of nourishment to function, after all. and so the Garundi fills his bowl with the white grain and pours the vegetable sauce on top. He is slightly disappointed with the absence of meat, but the monks have their ways, and he will respect them.

When it time so actually eat the food, Amaranti looks around for a spoon, but soon learns the pair sticks is the utensil to be used. Patiently he waits for the monks to start, and tries to mimic their use of the chopsticks. However, the Garundi's shovel-sized hands are not really compatible with the slender sticks. After a few trials and lot of food ending up on the table, he gives up and starts to scoop the food with his hands. The result is not pretty, nor elegant, but nourishing for Amaranti. A nice, slender burn on his mouth, he rubs his full belly and compliments the hosts for the meal.
Dex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Glad you were amused by the post, boys. I actually passed both rolls, but success would have been boring, so I got rid of them.

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

dexterity: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 Wow... only way he could fail!

Faustus quietly accepts his meal, and gives his thanks, both to the monks, and to the Dark Prince. He eyes the sticks that the monks are using for their meal, and quickly masters them. However, he is surprised by the potency of the peppers, and is quickly sweating.

Quietly, to himself, he mutters, "This sauce must come from The First's own kitchen!" He tries to hide the fact that his mouth is on fire, and forces himself to continue eating. He keeps an even pace with the chopsticks, with barely a wavering in his hand as he forces down the viciously spicy food. He notices the monks cleaning their bowls with their bread, and does the same... eating no more, but no less, than any of the monks.

will save to continue: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
bluff: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21 (Can't really wear the mask while eating)

Faustus is too far gone in his internal struggle to appear unbroken by the pain of the sauce that he doesn't notice Lort's struggles. As he finally finishes the last of the excruciating meal, he returns his bowl and sticks to the appointed place, and looks at the liquids offered. "Great is Asmodeus" he says, almost absentmindedly, as he decides which liquids to drink. In a show of utter disregard for his own person, he chooses to wash his meal down with the steaming hot tea, oblivious to the effects that this may cause him.

He funnels his pain internally, as he dreams up new methods of interrogation, and wonders if he should get the recipe for the sauce to use for just that purpose.


Dice Rolls | Tactical

I am glad that you had fun with lunch, I hoped you would make the most of it

Earlier
Cyrus, Lort and Menkha stand at the ready. At the signal they fly off the starting line. With the handful of villagers milling about the going is much smoother than they would anticipate. Lort quickly realizes that he is outmatched by the smaller human and dwarf. To compensate he lowers his head, bellows "MOVE. OUT OF THE WAY." as he plows for the stairs. His commanding voice is not enough to make up the ground he needs.

Cyrus and Menkha are head-to-head as they reach the winding stairs. Even in her shortened state, Menkha is able to bound two steps at a time. Cyrus redoubles his effort, but finishes just after.

Menkha turns to Cyrus, "That was well run. Should we have run a longer distance, I fear that you might have overtaken me. And Lort, well played. You gave that challenge your all. Consider me impressed."

Present
As lunch nears its end, and Menkha observes the trials the Pathfinders had using the foreign implements, and digesting the exotic fare, she rises and invites the Pathfinders for one last stroll.

"Pathfinder, I hope you enjoyed our meager fare. If you would follow me, I believe it is time for you to return to Tar Kuata and meet Itephta." the head of the Tar Kuata monks

If you spoke with Menkha, please make either a Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (nobility), or Knowledge (religion) check. If you did not speak with her, please make a Knowledge (nobility), or Knowledge (religion) check.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Back after the race...

"Ha! Well done you two!" Lort claps both on the back, "Kurgess may have been quite the fancy runner, but I guess I am better suited to feats of strength and endurance. Given a long enough distance, perhaps I would beat you both." Lort climbs back into his armor. (FYI, I forgot to mention explicitly, but without armor, Lort has a speed of 40ft due to his travel domain, which is why he's got 30ft with full plate - totally doesn't matter if you didn't include it)

After lunch...

"I wouldn't call it meager," says Lort, "The meal resembles your people in many ways: small but potent. Ha! I fear I was unequal to the challenge of the pepper sauce. Please do apologize to my dining companion if you see him again. I tried to do so, but he had taken off for some reason. I hope it wasn't to clean his robes..." More than one grain of rice coated with now-dried pepper sauce drop from Lort's beard as he speaks.

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

"My goodness, Cyrus, Menkha. I feared you two meant to start flapping your wings and take off, you flew so fast! And Lort, I doubt even a wall would have stood in your way, good sir." He gives the dwarven woman a deep bow. "Lunch was most excellent, ma'am. If a bit messy due to my clumsy fingers. I look forward to meeting Itephta."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

Grand Lodge

Male NG Human Investigator 3/Ranger (guide) 2/Fighter (archer) 2 - PFS# 141231-2 | HP: 30/55 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 26 | F: +7 [+9 for hot/cold conditions], R: +12, W: +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9 [+10 find traps], SM: -1 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, Ranger’s Focus: 1/1, Inspired: 1/1, Boots of Speed: 10/10, Folio Re-roll: 1/1 | Spells: endure elements, shield | Active conditions:

"Indeed, lunch was spectacular," Ibid says, agreeing with the others. "The spice was a challenge for sure... I must say, I'm not exactly used to that amount of heat. Although, I did read once..." Thinking for a moment, the old man adds, "... there are certain tribes within the wilds of Garund that have mastered the art of using peppers are weapons. Apparently, before battle, when they are upwind of an opposing army, they burn peppers so that the smoke is carried downwind and acts a blinding agent against their foes. Then the attack is launched while their enemies cannot see."

"You're dishes are spicy enough, I would feel bad for any party which might try to lay siege to your home, if you used that tactic against them."

"Of course," the old man adds with a laugh. "You could just as easily be civil and treat them to lunch, and have the spices incapacitate your enemies, as well."

kowledge(nobility): 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 11 + (4) = 31

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

I was getting worried there - especially when Miro of all people only got a 14 on diplomacy! Ibidopedia comes through to save the day. Phew.

Lort nods along with Ibid's assessment of the hot sauce. Not something that needs any adjustment to be able to weaponize it.

"I can't wait to meet Itephta," says Lort, "The zeal and tenacity with which you conduct yourselves is most impressive. It will be great to congratulate the one who leads you all on a job well done. Perhaps when I am done adventuring, I will return here, fail the trials, hang out with the villagers and try to conquer that pepper sauce."

Lort smiles wistfully before shaking his head. "No, I cannot imagine retiring anywhere other than the Land of the Linnorm Kings. Chasing down mammoths with the Rednar tribe, maybe even take the test of leadership and slay an ice linnorm, start my own tribe - or take over the Rednars."

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

"Lunch was... interesting, Menkha. It was greatly appreciated. I am sure such fare would be well received in Egorian.
" So, onward. We would be honored to meet with Itephta"

bluff (mask back on): 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (5) + 23 = 28 (+13 if this isn't to lie - which, of course, his statement above was!)


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Ok Amaranti is out of town but it doesn't matter because you want and got a 50% success rate - Lort got a RP bonus. Cryus, feel free to roll if you want to. And Faustus +23 WOW! Just WOW!

Menkha leads the Pathfinders to another terrace. A young looking Garundi turns around and moves forward. "Greetings Pathfinders." he begins in a warm manner. "I am Itephta, head of Tar Kuata. I apologize for your delay in meeting me, I was unavailable this morning. I trust you have had a pleasurable afternoon, and that Mekha has taken good care of you. So, what brings you to our humble monastery?"

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Back at the race...

Cyrus grits his teeth, bummed he couldn't quite catch the speedy monk. "A race well run. Perhaps I will catch you next time." he says with a polite smile.

after lunch...

will this be the one that Ameneouphus wants me to judge? Oh I hope I am up to the task...

Cyrus follows along in silence, not wanting to embarrass himself, or his faction leader by proxy. His dad used to always tell him, better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt...

Cyrus was quite confident his pops wasnt calling him an idiot. Mostly confident anyways.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

-Posted with Wayfinder

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,
GM_TheBobJones wrote:
And Faustus +23 WOW! Just WOW!

That's why people say the Mask of Stony Demeanor is broken.

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

"Greetings, Itephta. Before we get down to our purpose here, I would like to offer you a gift from the Pathfinder Society, free of any sense of obligation you might otherwise feel." He indicates to whoever has the magic bag of grain to bring it forward, then smiles at the Garundi. "Perhaps not as exciting as a bag full of gold, but keeping one's people well-fed is the true key to a happy realm, I have been told."

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

"Master Itephta, it is good to meet you as well.

"Our mission here is two fold. I could lie to you, and say that we were here only to help, as we have learned that your harvests have been rather poor. However, to be brutally honest, our true goal here is to recover a piece of an ancient curiousity known as the 'Sky Key', that the descendants of the dwarves of Jormordun are likely to have carried here. We would like to enter into negotiations for that item.

"As a sign of good faith, I can tell you that we have brought with us a store of grain that I am sure would help your people survive this lean time. That is part of what we offer.

"Unlike many of our competitors, we are honest seekers of knowledge, and would prefer to make friends. What is it that you would need from the Pathfinder Society in return for this item?"

In judging the response, Faustus will be taking 10 on his Sense Motive (for a 26), and will use as many rounds of discern lies as needed -- activating is an immediate action -- it should be a DC18 will save (as it is the equivelent to a 4th level inquisitor spell), and he'll know if they save. It is a divination effect, so they shouldn't know that he's actually doing anything (also spell-like, so no VSM components)


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Faustus - for 500 I would agree on that. As for your ability to detect lies, thank you for the info, very helpful!

Bowing, Itephta accepts the gift of grain. "You have my utmost appreciation for this most generous and needed gift. It is true that our harvest was poor to say the least, but there are other troubles plaguing Tar Kuata. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to discuss this with you at another time."

Turning to Faustus, "Both direct and well spoken. I know not of this 'Sky Key'." He turns to Menkha. "Do you know of this curiosity that they speak of, of this remnant of the dwarves of Jormordun?"

Menkha replies, "I believe that I am familiar with this relic. The Ouat monks are willing to part with it. It is one more burden anchoring us to the dwarven heritage we have eschewed. We would, though, willingly bestow it upon one that is worthy to carry it away. That is, if Itephta so decides." She bows her head slightly to Itephta.

Itephta nods and considers his words carefully. "And these Pathfinders. Are they worthy? You have spent the morning with them. What is your initial impression?"

Menkha looks at the Pathfinders right in the eyes, as if trying to pull their inner thoughts to the surface.

"Well, Lort wears his heart on his sleeve. He seems to genuinely care about others, particularly those downtrodden. He did not shy away from physical challenges, even though outmatched. Cyrus also rose to the challenge, and might have overtaken me had he run a further distance. Miro seems an affable fellow, though I feel I know him not. Aramanti and Faustus both seemed over interested in local governance, and Ibid has kept mostly to himself, but has observed all the local customs and traditions acceptably. I think they might have what it takes."

Itephta weighs her feedback and then addresses the Pathfinders.
“You seek something we would give freely, but the relic is one heavy with the weight of history. Just as I would not ask a neophyte to lift a boulder before he can lift a stone, I cannot in good conscience burden you with this bauble without knowing your capabilities.
“When our students request greater responsibilities or greater challenges, we first ensure that they have mastered what they have learned before. I propose you experience the same courtesy I would extend to a student by undergoing a small portion of our training. It shall strengthen your body for the return journey and prepare your mind to weather your future trials.”

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"Outstanding! Itephta, you are a dwa... a monk after my own heart," Lort smiles broadly at the prospect of further challenges and chances to prove himself worthy, "I will happily participate in any trials you have in mind. In fact, I was curious about them long before you offered. I could not, before now, see a way to participate without insulting you, our gracious hosts, by wanting to do so without wanting to join the order. I cannot promise to pass the tests, but I do promise I will do my utmost to make my god, Kurgess, proud."

Lort looks down at the plates covering his body, "It won't involve swimming, will it?"

Grand Lodge

Male NG Human Investigator 3/Ranger (guide) 2/Fighter (archer) 2 - PFS# 141231-2 | HP: 30/55 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 26 | F: +7 [+9 for hot/cold conditions], R: +12, W: +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9 [+10 find traps], SM: -1 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, Ranger’s Focus: 1/1, Inspired: 1/1, Boots of Speed: 10/10, Folio Re-roll: 1/1 | Spells: endure elements, shield | Active conditions:

The old man looks to his half-orc friend, and laughs. "I, too, would be honored to have the opportunity to undergoes whatever trials you may lay before us." Ibid's face is smiling and there is fire alight behind his eyes.

"It is true, we seek the relic known as the Sky Key," the old man begins. "However, I would love to also learn what I can from your culture and ways of living. Any training you could impart upon us would be greatly appreciated."

"Though if these are solely physical tasks, I fear my companions may be better suited for these types of undertakings..." he looks around at his gathered friends.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

"Just be careful you don't pop that hip back out of socket," Cyrus jests at the old man. He leans in to the monks, whispering, "Don't judge a book by its cover, he does more than read in the library all day..."

Cyrus pauses for a moment, then realizes the irony of his statement.

...judge a book... judge an ibidopedia? heh

"Ahem. Sorry. I am honored to accept your trials. Ever since we arrived I have been anxious to discover what you mean when you say the villagers have judged themselves. It is a question every man must ask of himself at some point. Am I worthy of this mantle of manhood? of the responsibility that has been laid on my shoulders? Not everyone has the courage to face the answer to that question. I am more than ready." Cyrus bows politely, proud of his uncharacteristic wisdom.

...

"Ahem. Um. Women too. They of course, must ask... ahhh.. All people must at some point... I meant no disrespect. I'll shut up."

Way to go. Dolt. You just alienated half the people you came to impress.

Embarrassed yet again, Cyrus mulls over the words of the sapphire sage in his mind, a futile effort to reduce the crimson red that flushes his cheeks.

This leader, on the surface appears as though he could be wise enough to wear the mantle of a sage. Don't judge a book...

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

Although it is improbably that Faustus could be standing any straighter than he usually does, he appears to try as he answers in a complete deadpan. "Master Itephta, life is but a series of trials, and those that follow the Prince of Contracts know this perhaps more than any others. I accept your trials, though I expect them to be found... wanting... in comparison to the trials the Dark Prince puts us through. Please, lead on."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"Faustus, my friend," Lort puts a hand on the hellknight's shoulder, "Now who is not respecting people properly? 'I expect them to be found... wanting'? I may not be the best diplomat in the group, but even I could see that saying such a thing is quite rude. These are the trials by which they indoctrinate themselves into this life that they have chosen. If you need to relate it to your superiors and the chain of command: you have been ordered to play nice and make friends."

Lort furrows his brow for a moment, realizing that Faustus probably has a very different outlook on life, "Or is such talk not considered impolite where you are from?"


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Itephta gins. "I knew that you would accept the challenge. Unfortunately, Menkha and I have other pressing matters to attend so we cannot preside over your trails. Instead, Aeotsep, the monk who oversaw my trails, will oversee your progress. I wish you all the best of luck."

With that the monk and dwarf depart and in walks a Garundi man whose sun-weathered features and kind face are raced with a network of wrinkles.

Portrait updated on Campaign Tab

"Well well well, wooh wooh, this is going to be fun, fun I tell you. Never tested Pathfinders before. Going to find out what you all are made of right quick. Think you'll pass? Think you have what it takes? Think you are strong, unstoppable? We'll see, yes we'll see. Come, come, come."

The aged monk moves off,the Pathfinders follow.

They enter into one of the study rooms, which contains several bookshelves, a small table, and a lectern on which there is an open copy of a book.

”Pathfinders, please wait here while I prepares the trials. Fun fun fun I tell you, wooo.” With that he exits the room leaving the Pathfinders alone.

The Patifinders begin a waiting game, one they feel is overly long. In fact

Faustus:
There is more to this delay than Aeotsep claims.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"When will these trials start? I am ready, I tell you!" says Lort, growing a little agitated at the long wait. Then he remembers the monk that didn't make a single move the entire time Lort was spraying him with rice and pepper sauce, "Hmmm, perhaps I should be more patient."

Lort sits down, but cannot stop fidgeting. Even though his blade stays forever magically sharp, Lort begins honing it to keep his mind occupied. The rhythmic scraping somehow calms him.

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

Faustus looks to Lort, putting his finger in front of his mouth in a "shushing" motion. He takes off his mask, and gives a meaningful look.
bluff to send message, take 10: 10 + 13 = 23
'Lort, you fool, this is a test. Be quiet, and meditate'

With that he puts his mask back on, and then studies his pentagram.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Lort gets the message, loud and clear - so to speak. He continues to meditate.

*scrape*

Lort breaks the silence as he runs the whetstone against his blade once more.

...

*scrape*

The half-orc looks up at Faustus, grinning broadly.

...

*scrape*

Lort runs a thumb diagonally cross-wise against the blade edge to test its sharpness.

...

Beautifully sharp, as always... better hone it some more.

*scrape*

...

*scrape*

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

The Halfling, in an excitable mood, paces back and forth around the area as the minutes drag on. "Do you get the feeling they're making it really tough? Or could it be that the trial is how long we will wait until we decide to start asking what's going on? Do you think it's better to wait a long time, or not?"

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

Faustus glares at the excitable halfling. His left hand itches to mark the bard with his patron's sign, but he chooses to wait. 'Never waiver in your devotion. Never show fear. Never show weakness.'

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"I think our friend Faustus over there is cautioning patience," Lort looks slyly over to the hellknight, then winks at Miro, "And also silence."

*scrape*

...

*scrape*

...

*scrape*


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Not a big fan of this part, so I am prepared to give you a hint since 50% of you weighed in and are on the wrong track. If you still get it wrong, I am just going to tell you what to do.

**HINT 1** Reread the room description.

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

In his wanderings, Miro looks again at the book in the room, and decides to go check it out, since he apparently had quite a bit of time on his hands.


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Miro looks at the cover of the book, Unbinding the Fetters.

Seemingly opened to a random page, Miro begins to read.

'At the beginning of the beginning was Nun born. Nun was an ocean, new, vast and unfilled. This ocean stretched out into the darkness forever, but it was nowhere, because all places were the same.

And then a voice was heard. “It is I, come for you.”

The newcomer sent out shining rays from his eye that cut through the darkness light a sharp sword, and make the wide waters glitter.

The newcomer flew over Nun, looking for a place to be. Finding none, he muttered to himself, “There must be somewhere. There must be somewhere everywhere.”

At the sound of the voice, a hill rose out of the water, determined, perfect, and strong. The newcomer rested on the hill.

From the hill, the newcomer exhaled sharply, and churned up the waters. The waters parted and a new hill was formed.

As he leapt from one hill to the next, eye shilling brightly, new life would spring from whence he leapt.

As these events repeated, the newcomer looked around and observed all that had changed. There was land, where there was no land before. There were plants, where no flora grew before. There was light, where there was only darkness before.

The newcomer smiled, and said to Nun, “Once you were still, and quite. Now you are transformed, and strong. Use my gifts wisely.” And with that he left Nun to his own devices.'

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Dang! I read this one on my way into a meeting, i was hoping I could be the first to post... Oh well :)

Edit: Aaaaaaand Cyrus'd. :)

Cyrus nods with a polite smile as the monk leaves the room, promising to return.

Maybe this is an opportunity to see some of their writings. The sapphire sage will want to know everything I can report...

Cyrus waits for a few moments, chuckling at the bristling between Lort and Faustus. The scrape of the sharpening of his blade is rhythmic and soothing.

Once he has determined that now is as good a time as any, Cyrus approaches the open book in the room. He does a quick scan to see what it is, then begins to diligently read the writings, committing as much to memory as he can in a few minutes. He dutifully deflects the hard stare he feels from Faustus, determined to gather whatever wisdom and information he can.

If no one comes in within a few minutes...

Ibid's influence seems to be paying off as Cyrus eventually pulls out his notebook, making notes and jots as he reads, to make sure he doesn't leave out any details in his report to his faction leader.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

After Miro has finished reading the text, Lort stands. Thankful for clues as to what they need to do, vague though they may be, he has a scan around the room, especially the floor, for any paintings or patterns resembling hills. If he finds none, he looks for pictures that could be Nun.

Lort perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

"There's got to be some clues around here leading to a way out of this room," Lort scans around, looking at the door the monk left by, "Other than that one, of course!"

Essentially, he's looking for signs leading to some kind of secret passage, if one exists. If no secret door, perhaps some lights. If no more lights can be found other than the ones that are here, he'll try making it dark.


Dice Rolls | Tactical

Lort sees nothing but what was described before.

Sorry Cyrus, I was overeager. My bad. This trial was overly vague for my taste.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

No worries! Please don't slow down because I couldn't post right away. I am usually the one pushing the envelope... Soon there will be an equilibrium found with this new job. and a lot more posting from my phone, which isn't always the most convenient thing.

Edit:Just had a flash of an idea - perhaps an epiphany, perhaps just a random thought that doesn't mean anything...

Muttering to himself in a half curious way as he reads the words Miro is reading aloud, "Of course, if we are going on a monk's journey to enlightenment and awareness, why shouldn't we begin to answer the question, 'what is the meaning of life?' without at least beginning with a version of creation..."

End Edit

Cyrus takes his notes from this book, and possibly slightly oblivious to the fact that this is, indeed, likely part of the test, he moves to the bookshelf.

What texts do you read and study?

"Hey Ibid, does any of this look familiar?"

Cyrus peruses the bookshelf, pointing out oddities that Ibid or Miro might be able to identify, all the while making notes for his captain.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Lort is not one for riddles, but has a go anyway, "Is it something to do with nothingness being the same as everythingness? Or appreciating what we have? Oh, I think we all start from nothing. That fits with the monks' philosophy. We all begin as nothing and are only what we make of ourselves. We are our own voices in the darkness - that is who we are. We make ourselves full, we make ourselves strong."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

Oh, and if that isn't right, I (the player) just give up: Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

The Halfling reads over the verse multiple times, puzzling through it. He listens to his counterparts, nodding at particular suggestions. "It certainly sounds like the story of the creation of the world, but as Lort suggests, it is more. We all start as nothing in our mother's wombs, steadily growing, being born. We take in our surroundings, which shape us to who we become. We choose to shape what is around else as we are shaping ourselves, becoming strong in the process. Thus we leave our legacy around us, even after we depart."

Kn History: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Rolling knowledge, as well, in case that is complete b%*$@@#$. :p

Silver Crusade

Male LN Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor (Asmodeus) 9 | HP: 72/72 | AC: 26 (15 tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +13, CMD: 25 | F: +11, R: +8, W: +14 (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting from demons) | Init: +6 | Perc: +24, SM: +26 | Speed 20ft | Judgements: 2/3, Greater Bane: 13/14; Discern Lies 9/9, Shirt Reroll 1/1, Coin 1/1 | Spells: 1st 6/7, 2nd 4/5, 3rd 3/4 | Lesser Extend: 3/6 Active conditions: Hight. Aware., Perveive Cues, Heroism, haste, sof,

kn: Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Faustus takes a look at the passage. He puzzles with it, thinking that Lort may not be completely wrong, but concerned that he was not completely right. "We start unfilled. That is interesting. Then the newcomer comes, and fills Nun with land. Hmm...

"Seems to me that this might be contrary to the teachings. It seems to me that rather than perfect order... where there is only darkness, and the sea that is Nun, it is through diversity that we grow.

"Light versus darkness. Land versus sea. Life versus barrenness.

"We are strong because we are different. The gifts are light, land, and flora. But no fauna. Hmm...

"Interesting that both Nun and the newcomer are referred to as 'he'. Were Nun a 'she', I would say that the newcomer was spreading his seed into Nun, creating life."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Level 9, #-2

"Perhaps Nun was into other men..."

51 to 100 of 402 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GMTheBobJones #6–19: Test of Tar Kuata All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.