GM Tarondor's Path of Tears Campaign - Traveller: The New Era

Game Master Tarondor

The Area of Operations

OPLAN Open Hand


901 to 950 of 1,033 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Mascot sees the alarm on Spider's face as the noise erupts from outside. Reflexively, he tries his comm, but only gets the same static. "Doc, get yourself and Shrier out of here. You got a vehicle or anything? We gotta move."

"Spider, we gotta be seen if we're going to lead them away. They see us, they can shoot us." He tries to move to a window to see anything outside and determine how many might be coming as well as any potential ambush points.

Military Tactics, Int: 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 + 1 = 5


Pirates of Drinax Links

That roll's too low to get you anything useful, Mascot.

Mascot sees the previously milling crowd running for cover. He can hear the sound he knows well, a gauss rifle firing. He guesses its eighty or ninety meters away. He can hear other small-arms fire, mostly lasers. The people are screaming and making a lot of noise as well.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Spider nods. "Point taken, Mascot. But we still need to get out of here. We'll try and get to the ship unseen, so we can get what we need to defend ourselves and others."

Spider considers the layout of the town, and considers what path - headed away away from gunfire - gives them the best cover while taking them to the ship.

Tactics(Military) + INT: 2d6 + 3 + 0 ⇒ (1, 4) + 3 + 0 = 8


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider thinks there's an alley he can use to his team's benefit.

Are you leaving Shrier and the doctor?

"Don't worry about me," says Ada Harrington. "They're not going to shoot the only doctor on the planet, so far as they know."


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

"I hope you're right, doc. We'll be back as soon as we can."

"C'mon," Spider says to the others, "Follow me. Stay low and quiet until we've gotten some distance between us and the hostiles." He leads them out the back along what he hopes is the best path.


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

"I think your being a bit too optimistic Doc. If this place has a basement, you should head down there, and lock the door." Drifter then follows Spider out into the alley.


Pirates of Drinax Links

As Spider, Mascot and Drifter run out the back with the badly wounded Shrier between them and the young man with the handlebar mustache trailing behind, they can hear the panicked sounds of the Berensi population running for cover as Arturo Novohig launches his takeover.

Drifter, most of these buildings are made either of tin or of some local variant of wood. But you spot one made of industrial concrete - probably a local warehouse by the look of it. The walls would make a better defensive position than anything you've seen elsewhere in town, but could also become a trap if you're surrounded.

_________________________________________________

Flatfoot, you're in combat armor. Your enhanced audio easily picks up the sounds of gunfire even over the shrill whine of the air/raft's antigrav engine. No building in Berensburg is taller than two stories, making it difficult to approach with stealth. If you want to try it, you'll need to make a Drive+Dex roll of 7+. Otherwise you can easily set your vehicle down wherever you want, but you have no idea exactly where MS-7 went.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Spider leads them to the far side of the warehouse. "We need a way to get a signal to Resolution."

I don't suppose standard RCS gear includes any type of emergency flare?


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot tries his comm, calling to his companions.

"Flatfoot to Team. Stat and location report. Repeat - stat and location report."

Risking taking some ground fire, Flatfoot stays up high slightly above the buildings. He flies towards where the fight had been, wanting to start from the last known spot of his companions.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Yes, flares are in your standard battle gear. But you're in civilian clothes, right?

The ground team can hear Flatfoot communicating -something-, but it's too staticky to be sure what he's saying.

___________________________________________________

The air/raft's comms remain full of static. Maybe they hear you, Flatfoot, because your gear is more powerful, but you can't hear them.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot continues on, figuring that these yokels will reveal their position by firing on the air/raft.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Suddenly, the air is filled with zipping sounds and the air/raft is struck by small arms fire. It lurches to the left.

Flatfoot! Make me a Drive+Dex test and tell me whether you're trying to land, conduct aerial maneuvers or something else?

Spider, Drifter and Mascot, give me a Recon+Int test and tell me whether you're heading for the warehouse I described or somewhere else.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot wrestles with the controls of the air/raft. He tries to set the craft down where he can have some cover in order to return fire.

Dex(+0)+Drive(0): 2d6 + 0 + 0 ⇒ (4, 3) + 0 + 0 = 7


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Unless one of the others suggests something else, Spider leadsthe group to the warehouse and around to the backside of it so that it is between them and the gunfire.

Recon+INT: 2d6 - 3 + 0 ⇒ (6, 5) - 3 + 0 = 8


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

Drifter follows along besides Spider as he moves to put a building between the men coming and the group.

Recon +INT: 2d6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (3, 5) + 1 - 1 = 8


Pirates of Drinax Links

Drifter and Spider spot the air/raft, trailing smoke and moving fast, coming in towards a field outside of town about four blocks away.


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Recon, Int: 2d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1, 6) + 1 + 1 = 9

Mascot spots the air raft. "Incoming! Looks like we got ourselves a ride! Maybe we can put this attack down after all." He looks closer. "S##&. He's taken fire! Look alive!"

Mascot prepares to leap onto the raft as it nears.


Pirates of Drinax Links

You also spot a second air/raft park about half a klick outside of town.

The nearby air/raft augers into the pastureland, skipping across the alfalfa fields in a several lurching beats. That air/raft ain't going anywhere fast. Note also that I said it was four blocks away.

For the moment, Mascot, Drifter and Spider can't see the craft, but know where it is.

Flatfoot, your armor protects you from the worst of the crash landing. Your bells are rung for a few moments, but you manage to begin pulling armor and weapons out of the mostly intact vehicle. You realize that if Novohig's gang gets here before your team, the bad guys are going to have a whole new cache of high-tech weapons.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot keeps watch on the town as he moves gear from the crashed air/raft. If he spots Novohig or any of cronies, Flatfoot will fire a warnign shot from one of the rifles.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

"Let's go!" Spider moves quickly, leading the team towards the downed air/raft.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider, give me a Leadership+INT or SOC check. Roll well!
Then give me a Tactics (Military)+INT check.

Drifter, you don't have Tactics (Military), but you do have Jack-of-All-Trades 1. You can therefore make your own Tactics (Military) check with a -2 penalty.

All four of you, give me Stealth+DEX and Recon+INT checks.


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

Drifter gets ready to head out.

Tactics (Military)+Int: 2d6 - 2 - 1 ⇒ (5, 4) - 2 - 1 = 6

Stealth + Dex: 2d6 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (6, 5) + 0 + 1 = 12

Recon+Int: 2d6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (6, 6) + 1 - 1 = 12

I am the shadow flitting through the trees. Unseen. Unheard, but seeing all. If only I remembered what to do with that knowledge. :P


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Leadership + INT: 2d6 + 1 + 0 ⇒ (6, 5) + 1 + 0 = 12

Tactics(Military)+ INT: 2d6 + 3 + 0 ⇒ (2, 6) + 3 + 0 = 11

Stealth + DEX: 2d6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (2, 2) + 1 - 1 = 4

Recon + INT: 2d6 - 3 + 0 ⇒ (4, 2) - 3 + 0 = 3


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Stealth, Dex: 2d6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (4, 1) + 1 - 1 = 5

Recon, Int: 2d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2, 1) + 1 + 1 = 5

Mascot races towards the air raft, seemingly deciding to trade stealth for speed.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Stealth+Dex: 2d6 - 2 + 0 ⇒ (4, 1) - 2 + 0 = 3
Recon+Int: 2d6 - 2 + 0 ⇒ (1, 1) - 2 + 0 = 0

Flatfoot is far too focused on quickly moving equipment from the smoking air/raft to take care or to notice anything.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider, your Leadership will grant you five Boons in the upcoming scenes. That means that five times you or a companion you designate can roll 3d6 and keep the best two. Your choice of when, but you have to state you're using it before the roll. You must be able to communicate with the other character to grant him a Boon.

Also, you must role-play the bit of leadership that grants that boon.

Also, your Tactics roll means you have the Initiative in the upcoming fight. I'll get back to that.

_____________________________________________________

The team hustles along towards the crashed air/raft, prizing speed over stealth. Drifter and Mascot have the injured Shrier between them. You break into the open in a field behind the town and see the smoking air/raft. It's not a terrible wreck, but it's not going anywhere right now. Behind it, someone dressed in Coalition Combat Armor - it has to be Flatfoot - dragging your gear away from the crash.

You can hear that Novohig and his thugs are not far away.

Everyone, tell me your plan.

You have initiative. You're going to get to choose what to do and where to do it. Will you take the time to get out of your Protec and into your Combat Armor? Will you just grab your weapons and take up a position? What happens to Shrier?


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Scanned the Core Rulebook and couldn't find an answer - how long does it take to get into Combat Armor?


Pirates of Drinax Links

I've been doing the same thing! I think that either it takes a long time or very little time. It seems like any elite fighting force with sufficient technology would put a premium on being able to quickly get into armor. I'm going to rule that TL 10 armor takes some time to get into. You need to be bolted into it. But TL 12 armor is much smoother. If it is keyed to your biometrics, you can power it up in about five seconds. From there, it simply opens up and you step in. It then seals around you like Iron Man's armor. If it's not your armor, this process takes longer. So you can get into your own armor in under thirty seconds under the right conditions.

Protec is nearly as light as casual clothing, but it still has to come off before you can get into the Combat Armor. How fast can you do that? Pretty fast, I'll bet. So let's say a minute for the whole thing. But do you have a minute?


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

Drifter puts Shrier down behind what cover he can find and moves a bit away before deciding to risk it and starts stripping off his protec to step into the better armor.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Spider looks around the clearing for tactical points with cover, and then back towards the town, trying to figure out where the enemy will emerge into the clearing.

He calls out, "Flatfoot, Mascot, grab weapons and take position there and there." He directs Flatfoot to a covered point near the direct line between Drifter and the enemy, and places Mascot and himself in cover on opposite sides of Flatfoot. "The three of us will try and pin them down as they emerge into the clearing with our fire, and give Drifter time to finish suiting up. They've got armor, too, so if you have something armor piercing, have it ready."

Spider takes his laser pistol and puts the holster on his belt. He grabs his ACR, snaps the auxiliary grenade launcher onto it, and scoops up a mix of aerosol and tranq gas grenades. He moves to his position, drops the grenades at his feet, and loads a tranq grenade into the launcher.

What range are we looking at from our positions to the edge of the clearing where Novohig & friends should emerge?


Pirates of Drinax Links

Assuming that you're taking up positions near the air/raft, you're 120 meters from the nearest large building. There are a few smaller sheds and rocks that dot the prairie at thirty meters to the right and seventy meters to the left. One of the buildings is two stories, and the rest are a single story. Behind you is ten kilometers of more or less flat land.


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Mascot powers up his combat armor and then strips down from his protec armor. The marine checks his gauss rifle and loads it before stepping into his combat armor.

His head swivels to where Spider is directing him. "Got it." He begins heading in that direction.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot finishes donning the armor, grinning as his companions reach the raft. He follows Spider's direction, grabbing a rifle and moving the position. Once there, he raises the rifle and scans the village edge through its optics, looking for the attackers.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider and Mascot suit up while Drifter gets Shrier behind cover. Meanwhile, Flatfoot takes up a defensive position behind a low boulder on the right flank. It's high enough that he is mostly covered when kneeling, but would reach to his thighs when standing.

With Shrier laying behind cover, Drifter kneels behind the air/raft and starts to shed his Protec Suit. Mascot and Spider crouch-run towards the wooden shed on the left flank. It has a low stone foundation which can give them plenty of cover so long as they remain prone, as well as concealment behind the shed itself. However, they haven't yet reached it when the shooting begins.

So we've got Spider and Mascot in the open, but close to shelter on the left, Flatfoot behind good cover on the right and Drifter behind cover but out of his armor right up the middle.

Okay, so before we begin, let's me ask this: is everyone good with Theater of the Mind? Or are you more comfortable with a map? I've always considered Traveller to be a more fluid game where ranges were approximate and combat was fast and loose.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Theater of the Mind is fine with me.


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

I am good either way.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Theatre of the Mind is good for me, too.


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Theatre of the mind!


Pirates of Drinax Links

Then let's begin. SPIDER, don't forget that you have five boons to hand out because you're a kick-ass leader.

Drifter is the first to spot the enemy. Figures in heavy armor taking up position in an alleyway mostly sheltered from view. Nobody else sees anything, but Drifter (just now donning his armor) hunkers down behind the broken air/raft and calls it in.

Spider, if you were Novohig you'd put a sniper on the second story of that two-story building, but you don't know if Novohig has any military or tactical experience. You don't have time to think about that, however, because you're still running for cover when the first bullets fly.

It occurs to Spider that he might have brought some sensor drones from Aubaine.

Mascot or Spider?: 1d2 ⇒ 2

Guild Crewman Gauss Rifle v. Spider: 2d6 + 1 + 0 ⇒ (2, 1) + 1 + 0 = 44d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 1, 6) = 14

Bullets splatter the ground right behind Spider. He knows without having to think about it that the shooter is an amateur that failed to lead the runner. But a damned well-armed amateur.

Mascot and Spider make it to the shelter of the shed.

Flatfoot Recon+INT: 2d6 - 3 + 0 ⇒ (6, 3) - 3 + 0 = 6
Drifter Recon+INT: 2d6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (3, 1) + 1 - 1 = 4

Everyone, go! Drifter, if you want to don your Combat Armor it will take you 5 full turns to finish.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

From his covered position, Flatfoot aims at one of the armored figures.

Minor Action to Aim

Gun Combat(0) + Dex(0) + Aim(+1): 2d6 + 0 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (2, 1) + 0 + 0 + 1 = 4


UPP: 7B64C6; Armor 1: Injury 0

Drifter did not enjoy getting shot recently and focuses on his armor.

Turn 1 of 5.


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Spider loads a tranq grenade into the auxiliary grenade launcher and looks for targets.

Assuming that just because Drifter told us he sees them, does't mean we see them yet


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Mascot takes aim at the man shooting at Spider. He squeezes the trigger and deadly flechettes fly toward him.

Minor action to Aim

Gun Combat, Dex (aim): 2d6 + 2 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 - 1 + 1 = 7
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 2, 2) = 10


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider's right. Only Drifter had eyes on the enemy. Now no one does. They're close, but under cover. Flatfoot and Mascot, give me new orders.


Male UPP: 969866; Armor: 1; Wounds: 0

Flatfoot scans the buildings, looking for the shooter who fired at Spider.

Int(+1)-2(no Recon skill): 2d6 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (1, 5) + 1 - 2 = 5


UPP: A47A38; Armor 1

Mascot peers out from behind the shed to take stock of their positioning and the enemy formation.

Military tactics, Int: 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4, 4) + 2 + 1 = 11


Pirates of Drinax Links

Mascot, the situation is fairly direct. The buildings are in a rough line stretching right and left. The enemy can't flank you without leaving the cover of the buildings and you can't outflank them for the same reason. They have an advantage in that they can move from cover to cover without being easily seen whereas your cover is more spread out. They also have more men and so may in fact try to outflank you.Perhaps their biggest advantage is the second story of the one building directly in front of you. From there they could negate some of your cover.

To your advantage is that they seem to be well-armed and well-armored amateurs, trained in neither shooting nor ground tactics. Such forces have a tendency to remain static and bunch up together. They also have a tendency to break and run when they start to lose.

Two other advantages you have: Doctor Su is waiting in an air/raft at some distance in case he is needed. Second, Sandman is powering up Resolution. The ship's anti-personnel laser could be a decisive weapon if called in, though it could also be devastating to Berensburg.


Pirates of Drinax Links

Spider, based on Drifter's sighting, you have a good idea where at least some of the enemy is. They're hiding in an alley between two buildings. You can see the first three meters or so of the alley, but the angle hides the rest.

Your tranq grenade is unlikely to affect men in combat armor, but they are amateurs. Anyone with their helmet off will be affected. Moreover, your informant told you that Siscoe Nickrent was with Novohig and he wasn't in armor.


Pirates of Drinax Links

So I need a better picture of what you're doing before I go. As I understand it, Flatfoot, Mascot and Spider are all under cover but looking out occasionally. No one is prone. Meanwhile, Drifter is behind the wrecked air/raft, completely under cover. Yes?


UPP: 73A797; Armor 4/17; Injury:

Sounds right to me.

901 to 950 of 1,033 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tarondor's Path of Tears Campaign - Traveller: The New Era All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.