GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master Tarondor

Initiative Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+2[/dice]

Perception Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+12[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+10[/dice]

The Sword Marches Kingdom Spreadsheet, Turn 57
Maps of the Sword Marches
Guide to GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign
Kingmaker Loot!
Mikhail's 5-Year Plan


2,501 to 2,550 of 2,586 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr grips the staff as the group moves towards the roof.


I'll assume everyone follows...

You arrive not at the roof, but in another room higher in the main tower.

Tree-sized columns support this open chamber with translucent draperies hung between them, stirred by a soft breeze from narrow windows in the tower’s outer walls. The center of the room lies two feet below the outer walkway and contains a pile of sleeping cushions, cages filled with songbirds, several large vases of flowers, a table set with four bottles of wine, and a small jewelry box. Overhead, a ceiling of rose-colored crystal mirrors the recessed floor, allowing starlight to filter through.


PING!


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr quickly casts a cantrip to scan the room for active magic and magic items.

"Let us see what magic has been left here," says the wizard. "And, does anyone see a way to get to the roof?"

Cast Detect Magic


While many of the objects in this room look to be fabulously expensive, only one is magical. The center of that rose-colored crystal ceiling is magical.

Piotr Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18 Wow. Okay, new roll.
Aristu Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18 Wow. Okay, new roll.
Alister Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21 That did it.

To move us along...

Alister casts detect magic and realizes that...

Alister:
the crystal ceiling is a form of floating disc that provides access to the rooftop when commanded to descend.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

"Hey, I think that's a floating disc..." He squints at the ceiling. Then he addresses it. "Down!"


The central portion of the rose-colored crystal ceiling descends to about a foot above the floor, the many-faceted crystals casting rainbows of light about the bedchamber.


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Can we all fit on it at once?


Yes, you can.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister climbs on the disk. "Come on. We need to close that portal!"


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail moves onto the disk with the bird cages.

How many birds are there?


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

PIotr follows his companions onto the disk.


Mikhail Templeson wrote:

Mikhail moves onto the disk with the bird cages.

How many birds are there?

To be clear, the birdcages are in the sunken part of the room. The disk lowers to a foot or so above them. You can step up onto it, but the bird cages are underneath. There are a dozen birds or so, all loudly screeching and tweeting.

Everyone steps onto the stained-glass disc and Alister urges it up. The disc ascends to the roof. Permanently bound to the rest of the crystal capping the spire, the piece also forms a magic circle containing a six-pointed fairy star when it reaches its highest point.

<GM checks...yes, you replaced the wardstones...>

DC 25 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (planes), or Spellcraft check:
You can intuit the ritual necessary to re-establish the faengard. It will require 10 minutes to perform the actual ritual.


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

How big are these birdcages? I thought I could carry one or more of them with me. If not I will be pulling out my backpack and putting birds into it.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister will use his Loremaster ability to take 20 on the Knowledge (Planes) check for a 30.

Alister's eyes go out of focus for a moment as he studies the six-pointed star. Suddenly he says, "I know what to do. Give me the staff." Taking the Queen's staff, he begins a ritual within the star to close the portal to the mortal world.


Mikhail Templeson wrote:
How big are these birdcages? I thought I could carry one or more of them with me. If not I will be pulling out my backpack and putting birds into it.

Birds do love being stuffed into backpacks! The cages are various sizes. Some are as tall as a man, though the ones on the floor are generally of a size you could carry. Two feet wide and two-and-a-half feet wide.


Alister begins the ritual, chanting and walking the fairy star while holding the Crook of Cildhureen, mist begins to pour from the staff in prodigious amounts. It flows over the parapets and down the castle walls, then out away towards the distant faengard. The heavy fog begins to blanket the land until only the thistle castle and the immense trees are visible in a sea of white.

At last the ritual ends, leaving only the castle's roof above the fog. There is a sound of thunder that rolls all around you and an electricity in the air as if in a great storm. Then all is quiet.

Alister:
The faengard is reset. You know, without knowing how you know, that the Fellnight armies have been drawn back to the Fellnight Realm. You also know that you and your companions are not trapped within the faengard, but that every moment you spend here will lead you closer to the point where you cannot leave - you will have become one with the Fellnight Realm. Moreover, tens of thousands of spriggans will soon be coming to look for their queen...


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

I will put them all into the same birdcage and carry one.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister looks back to Aristu. "Damn, I was hoping it would reverse her spell. We need to get out of here. Bring as many birds as you can, but we can't be slowed down. Her armies have returned and will probably figure out what's happened soon."


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail calls upon Abadar to speed his way and then motions for people to climb on.

I cast Longstrider so I am faster and then I cast Fly to take everyone down without going through the keep.


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr grips the bars of the bird cage and holds tight, not liking having no control of the coming flight.


As proof that I am a benevolent GM, I remind you of the opulence of the items in Rhoswen's bechamber, just sitting there...


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

I missed that. Thanks for the heads up. I will cast Longstrider, but hold off on fly.

Mikhail moves quickly back to the lift to take them down to Rhoswen's bedchamber.


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr accompanies Mikhail, invoking a cantrip as he does in order to quickly identify magical items.

Cast Detect Magic


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister follows Mikhail, assuming that he knows a way down the tower.


Standing in Rhoswen's bedchamber, you learn that the only magical object is the stained-glass lift to the ceiling. The place is fool of expensive loot, however. And of course, there is a staircase down and a door leading out, as well as the lift back to the rooftop.


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail begins gathering items that look valuable.

I will start at any desk or dressers.


You seize the four bottles of wine, each an exquisite fey vintage of the Fellnight Realm. In addition, the jewelry box contains necklaces of fabulous beauty set with stones you can't even identify. A set of matching rings made of gold, and two materials you can't name all promise to be very expensive. An armoire is full of beautiful dresses and a side table holds fragrances that no mortal woman has ever smelled.

NOW we can go! :-)


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail leads the way back to the roof, casts fly and will take people down one at a time to avoid having to face what may still be in the keep.


As you make your way through the mists, you can hear groups of soldiers calling to one another and cursing their luck with hideous oaths.

Somebody give me Survival check to make your way in this fog.


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Mikhail guides you through the fog, dodging patrols of angry soldiers. You almost bump into the faengard. It appears as nothing more than a low stone wall until you get quite close. Then you can see the shimmering bubble that marks the boundaries of the Realm of the Fellnight Queen. One more step and you will be forever shut out and they forever shut in...


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail motions the others through and watches for dangers from the mist.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr looks back at the Fellnight Realm as Corb settles to his shoulder. After a final look, he crosses through the bubble.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister takes a single deep breath and then hurries back to the home he has pledged to defend.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu-bird lands on his brother's shoulder and sings.


The team steps beyond the faengard and find themselves in the Narlmarches, but it is a strange place. Unusual plants bloom around you and roses blossom in profusion. The trees seem somehow older and wilder and the birdsong more abundant, as well as other, stranger sounds. The air is redolent with a perfume of exotic flowers.

Devarre's cottage is gone, vanished as though it never were, but the three runestones sit on their hillside in the dappled sunlight.

It is Falchos the satyr who finds you first. His arm is in a sling and he bears a fresh scar across his face. Somehow, it makes him even more roguishly handsome than before.

"Thought so," he says, calling down to you from the rocky slopes of the hill. "When that mist drew them away, I calculated that it must be you. Is it over?"


Male Human Fighter [Cleric Devotion]- HP 112/112 - AC 28 - F: +15 R: +16 W: +15 - Speed: 30, Init: +5 - Perception +18

Mikhail looks at the birds in the cage he is holding and says, "We have stopped the incursion for now, but there is much that will still need to be done."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu-bird spirals around the satyr and voices an inquisitive chirp.


Falchos glances at Aristu, but then looks back at Alister. "Their armies were large. They killed many of our folk and I have heard they killed many of yours. Could you not have returned sooner?"


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister has tears in his eyes as he answers. "I wish we could have. But it took everything we had to subdue the queen and break her spell." He holds a hand out to Arisu's bird form. "Even then, it cost us dearly."

"Are the fey still gathered? Can you take us? I would see them and pay my respects. I hesitate to ask, but who have we lost?"


"Many are scattered. Some are at Tiressia's Grove." Falchos leans against a tree. "She lives, despite their best efforts."

"The druid, Devarre, was killed. So too the treant Vinroot. We have not heard from the fey of the northern woods and I suppose that could be good or bad."

"Your city will have got some of it," he says. "But we haven't any scouts to spare in that direction. I think Tatzlford had the worst of it. The Queen's troops killed many there. Also at the Lizard-folk village of Haashask. I have heard that they reached as far east as the mountains and as far west as Lake Hooktongue."

"Come. I will lead you to Tiressia. If we leave now we can arrive before sunset. I think the woods will be safe for a time. All that was dangerous is either dead or in hiding."


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr slowly takes in Falchos' words, learning of the devastation wrought by Rhoswen's forces. It is little consolation that it could have been worse. He steadies himself for meeting with Tiressia before they leave.


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister sighs with each name of the dead. "Come on, let's go see Tiressia. But then I have to go see what's left of Tatzlford."


The team hikes through a Narlmarches much changed. The wood is somehow more primeval, more fey. At the same time, it is much trampled, with everywhere signs of many booted feet and much hacking and burning. Here and there lie the butchered carcass of a deer or the broken bodies of small fey.

By dusk you come to Tiressia's grove and it is surprisingly almost unguarded. The dryad herself, beautiful as ever, looks sad and grim. "The Nomen centaurs have left. They say the war is over and they wish to see whether their homes were damaged. Please say it is over, Sir Alister."

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 39/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

Grimnir looks at Alister. "Ah'd like tae think it's over, too. But tell 'er what we found."


GM plays air drums, looks around expectantly...


Human Bard 8 [hp 96/96 | F+13, R+17, W+14 | AC 26 | Perception +12 | Focus Points: 3/3]

Alister runs his hand through his hair. "I think so. We found Queen Rhoswen in her own realm and infiltrated her castle." He pauses. "We cut her down. Then we reestablished the barrier between her realm and our world. Her forces were recalled her realm and effectively trapped there."

He looks at the dryad again. "I would be more definitive, but magic from the First World is...unpredictable. If we did the magic ritual right, though, that's the last we'll see of her and her army. It's over."


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr hangs back, aghast at the destruction wrought by the war.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu lands on a low branch of Tiressia's tree and sings a mournful song.

2,501 to 2,550 of 2,586 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign: Rivers Run Red All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.