GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master Tarondor

Initiative Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Grimnir]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+2[/dice]

Perception Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Grimnir]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+12[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+10[/dice]

The Sword Marches Kingdom Spreadsheet, Turn 57
Maps of the Sword Marches
Guide to GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign
Kingmaker Loot!
Mikhail's 5-Year Plan

Maps for Realm of the Fellnight Queen


2,201 to 2,250 of 2,265 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

I presume that Piotr can memorize spells. If not, please let me know.


Mikhail Templeson wrote:
If morning never comes can I pray for spells?

Sure. :-)

Piotr Denisov wrote:
I presume that Piotr can memorize spells. If not, please let me know.

Go for it.


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Mikhail prays when he feels that it is morning and then prepares to head back to the keep.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Alister yawns as the others rise. He steps away from the camp slightly and begins to recites his vocal exercises. It was a simple exercise and one he learned from the Judge to help when he had to do a whole day of speaking. It helped to clear his mind.

Returning, he looks at the others. "Let's hope our little rest didn't cost us lives. But we still need to find a way in."


So what's your plan?


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

"I have memorized a Levitate spell," says Piotr. "I can carry a rope up to one of those upper windows or opening, secure it and then you can climb up."


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"Or you can cast that on Grimnir or myself, and we can just carry people up to the window. That would save someone being pricked by whatever thorns and poison the defenses might have." Mikhail suggests.

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

Grimnir shifts from one foot to the other as the discussion turns to levitating up into the castle.

"Can a dwarf nae stay on solid ground?" he complains.

I'm good for whatever plan gets us up.


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr casts the Levitate spell on Mikhail, thinking that the human would be less bothered by floating unsupported in air.

"I could possibly support all of us, in fact," says Piotr. "But here you go, Mikhail. I can lift you up quite a ways."

Levitate - 700 lb maximum, 7 minute duration


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Am I picturing the scene correctly that the castle is in the forest, and that giant trees the height of mountains overhang the castle?


Yup. Castle made from a giant thistle. Trees tall as mountains.


Okay, so Mikhail is being levitated. Are you aiming him towards the rooftop or one of the balconies?


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

"Hold still, Mikhail," says Piotr as he begins to levitate his companion. "I will lift you to the nearest balcony."


Great. Mikhail, please give me a Stealth or Survival check.


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Mikhail floats slowly upwards.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Alister watches Mikhail slowly float up. He casts a spell on himself, using the power of his metamagic rod. "Mikhail, scout up the tower, then if everything looks ok, return back and we'll begin bringing everyone up."

Piotr, can you cast Levitate on Grimnir too?


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

"Yes, here you go," replies the wizard before casting the spell to allow Grimnir to ascned to the balcony.

Cast Levitate


Everyone on the up elevator, give me a Stealth or Survival check!

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

Grimnir does not look happy about leaving solid ground, but nevertheless concedes it is the best plan.

He looks incredibly uncomfortable as he begins to float.

survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


As you ascend you are spotted by some guardians of the castle. Four pieces of topiary from the garden below stretch out their leafy wings and take to the air!

This combat is theater of the mind! The opponents are four topiary plants shaped like winged goblins. They're about to attack you! What do you do?


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Mikhail calls upon Abadar and his skin grows dense and rough.

I will cast my Barkskin as they approach.


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr continues focusing on his Levitate spells until Grimnir and MIkhail are on solid footings.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

"Incoming!!!" Alister points and shouts at the flying creatures.

Inspire Courage

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

Grimnir spits and prepares to attack the first creature that gets near. 10' reach

+1 Dorn Dergar (power attack): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 221d10 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

Also, not sure if there was room to have my elemental fly. If not, I'm hoping it could be inside the wall moving up with us, but let me know.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Altitude of the combatants?


Your team is sixty feet off the ground. The topiary gargoyles are about to engage you at high speed (they can make it 60 in a single move).


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu watches the gargoyles rise over the wall. As they close on Mikhail and Grimnir he begins casting a spell. A moment before they converge a cloud of sparkling green and gold pops into the air around them, covering them in the glittering sparkle.

Cast Glitterdust to catch all 4 gargoyles just before they reach melee range. It's a Will save (DC 16) to avoid being blinded. Targets get to re-save at the end of every round until they end the effect. And -40 to Sneak, for what it's worth.


PW, isn't your elemental an earth elemental? How's he going to fly?

Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Grimnir's target: 1d4 ⇒ 2

As the deadly plant-men fly in, a burst of fairy dust dazzles their eyes. Meanwhile, Grimnir's deadly dorn-derger lashes out, catching one on the leafy jaw and smashing several branches.

The two blinded leaf-men veer off, bouncing into the castle's thorny walls. The two others focus on Grimnir, seeming to ignore all others! Once puts a long scratch on Grimnir's cheek.

Claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 251d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 191d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

STATUS
Alister
Aristu
Grimnir (66/74 hp)
Mikhail
Piotr
Topiary Gargoyle #1
Topiary Gargoyle #2 - 21 damage
Topiary Gargoyle #3 - BLINDED
Topiary Gargoyle #4 - BLINDED

Everyone, go!

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

It is an earth elemental. That's why I was asking in my last post if, by chance, the building was stone and it could be inside the walls climbing up where we're flying. OR, if there was an additional levitate spell for it.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

"Pick off the blinded ones while we can!" Alister yells to the others on the ground. He grabs his bow and surges with arcane energy as he fires at the blinded creatures.

Swift Action: Arcane Strike; Free action: Continue Inspire Courage (+2/+2)
Attack (IC): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 2 = 22
Damage (IC, AS): 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9


The castle is made of living plant material.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu continues to weave spells, this time launching 3 green bolts of arcane force at the wounded gargoyle.

Cast Magic Missile at the gargoyle already wounded by Grimnir.

Force damage: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 1, 4) + 3 = 11


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Can I reach them? If not I drift down towards them.

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10
GM Tarondor wrote:
The castle is made of living plant material.

Okay--it works like a paladin mount. I can call it once we are inside.


The brothers Medvyed use bow and spell to attack the gargoyles with great accuracy.

STATUS
Alister
Aristu
Grimnir (66/74 hp)
Mikhail
Piotr
Topiary Gargoyle #1
Topiary Gargoyle #2 - 32 damage
Topiary Gargoyle #3 - 9 damage - BLINDED
Topiary Gargoyle #4 - BLINDED

Mikhail, levitation doesn't permit you to move laterally unless you haul yourself across a surface hand over hand. The gargoyles are smart enough to avoid this, using their hit-and-run tactics. You could attack them with a ranged attack, or wait for them to close on you again or you could continue up to a balcony.

Mikhail, Grimnir, Piotr, go!

The Exchange

Dwarf Paladin 7 | HP 74/74 | AC 25; Tch 12; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W +7 | CMB+10; CMD 21 | Speed 20 ft | Init +1 | +1 Dorn Dergar: +11 (1d10+5) | Perc +10

Grimnir tries not to look as uncomfortable as he feels. He prepares to attack the first creature to get near them as they continue their ascent.

+1 Dorn Dergar (power attack): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 241d10 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

I did not realize they kept flying.

Mikhail drifts upwards towards a ledge and readies his blade if the creatures come to close.

Readied Attack with Civility with PA and IC: 1d20 + 10 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 - 2 = 25
Damage with Civility with PA and IC: 2d6 + 7 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 7 + 6 + 2 = 18


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr continues to concentrate on his Levitate spells until his companions are on a balcony.


Two of the gargoyles, blinded by Aristu's spell, flap off aimlessly. The other two, enraged, bear down on you with evil intent, claws bared. But at the last second, Mikhail and Grimnir lash out, slashing and smashing at their leafy assailants, killing one and wounding the other.

One gargoyle makes a raking attack on Aristu that cuts the sorcerer along the arm, then veers away to stay beyond your reach.

Gargoyle claw: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 141d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

At last you rise to the level of a balcony. The gargoyles seem to have had enough. One is flying away whereas the two blinded gargoyles can no longer be seen.

COMBAT OVER

The smells of fresh-tilled earth and in-season fruit fill this balcony orchard. A footpath leads among a half-dozen slender trees bearing pale, luminous apples. Small shrubs and other leafy plants occupy the spaces between. Doors lead into the castle proper.

Map later.

STATUS
Alister
Aristu (30/37 hp)
Grimnir (66/74 hp)
Mikhail
Piotr


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Mikhail will call upon Abadar for his healing powers.

Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 2) = 12


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr looks about as he waits for Corb to join them. Once his familiar has landed, Piotr casts a cantrip and scans the area.

Cast Detect Magic


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Can we assume that Grimnir and Mikhail ferried the rest of us up to the balcony?


Everyone gets up to the balcony and takes stock. There are a few doors leading from this rooftop garden. But one of the plants seems to be objecting to your presence. A rather immense mat of vegetation, all hard vines and dense greenery, growls at you from a few feet away. Whaddya do?

STATUS
Alister
Aristu
Grimnir
Mikhail
Piotr


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Knowledge, Nature (Loremaster): 10 + 10 = 20

Alister spots the mat of vegetation and summons arcane power. Duplicate Alisters swirl around him. "Watch out! There's a moving plant there!"

Cast Mirror Image (1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 images). Begin Inspire Courage (+2/+2 to hit/damage)


Alister's Knowledge (Nature):
This is a Shambling Mound, a dimly intelligent plant creature. Exposing it to electricity is a bad idea. Other than that, it tends to thrash foes with its branches and grapple them with vines.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

"Wait, that's a Shambling Mound. I've never seen one before, but I hear that electricity does things to it that we won't like. Maybe fire? It will try to grab us with it's vines and batter us with the branches."


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"It didn't immediately attack. Maybe we should just go around it or at least try to." Mikhail says, "It might think that we belong here since we are upstairs."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu prepares to put his brother's fire theory to the test, but then pauses at Mikhail's words. He waits to see how the plant creature reacts.

Ready action to cast Scorching Ray at the shambling mound if it makes an aggressive move.

Readied attack:

Ranged touch attack + Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 2 = 24
Fire damage: 4d8 + 2 ⇒ (6, 6, 4, 8) + 2 = 26
Ranged touch attack + Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 2 = 22
Fire damage: 4d8 + 2 ⇒ (7, 7, 4, 8) + 2 = 28


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

I am back from a week of the Hell that is updating to Windows 10.

Piotr directly addresses the shambling mound, speaking first in Common but switching to Sylvan if the mound doesn't respond.

"Welcome. We would prefer to pass by without conflict. Is that possible? Or are you bound by the Queen to defend her castle?"


Is anyone going to take an action?

2,201 to 2,250 of 2,265 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign: Rivers Run Red All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.