GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master Tarondor

Initiative Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Grimnir]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+2[/dice]

Perception Rolls:

[dice=Alister]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Aristu]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Grimnir]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Mikhail]1d20+12[/dice]
[dice=Piotr]1d20+10[/dice]

The Sword Marches Kingdom Spreadsheet, Turn 57
Maps of the Sword Marches
Guide to GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign
Kingmaker Loot!
Mikhail's 5-Year Plan

Maps for Realm of the Fellnight Queen


151 to 200 of 2,048 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

To aid the searching, Piotr intones the words for a cantrip that attunes his senses to magical emanations.

Cast Detect Magic


The upper reaches of this tower have completely collapsed, filling the interior with debris and rubble. The wreckage appears to be undisturbed for centuries, perhaps longer. No magic emanates from amidst the rubble.


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

Ahran pokes around in case there's anything which might have escaped a cursory look.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20 (additional +3 vs. traps, which he keeps an eye out for as well.)

Trying to see whether it really is undisturbed for centuries, or just looks that way.


It has indeed been undisturbed for centuries at least, quite probably a great many centuries. After half an hour of shifting rubble aside and looking through the wreckage of the ancient elven citadel, you discover a remarkably well-preserved mithral statuette of a beautiful elf woman wearing archaic robes, framed by an archway of mithral branches.

Knowledge (religion) DC 20:
This is a representation of Findeladlara, the elven goddess of art and architecture.


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

"This place is as deserted as it looks. But this is interesting, and must have meant something once. Come take a look."

Ahran shows the others the statuette, leaving it as he found it.

Ahran doesn't have the relevant Knowledge skill.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Alister takes the statuette and turns it over in his hands. "It's Findeladlara, the elven goddess of art and architecture. Hmm, I wonder who this would have belonged to. It is mithril...Perhaps we should keep it."


Yer gonna get us sued by the Tolkien foundation! It's "mithral", which is totally not related to "mithril".


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"It probably belonged to whoever built the place. It seems like the goddess an architect or great builder would have sought guidance from. And whoever it belonged to they have not been around in some time."


It is now the 24th of Neth. It has been nearly two months since you took a Ruling turn. If it is not begun within the next few days, the kingdom will go into anarchy. Technically, it should have started no later than the 21st, but if you hustle back to Stagfell now, I'll let that slide.

You can see the current status of the kingdom HERE. I've also posted it in the discussion forum HERE.

You can see maps of the Sword Marches, its two towns and a copy of the Kingdom control spreadsheet on the Campaign Info tab.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

"Well, with Daria gone, I doubt there's much else left here. Let's get back to Stagfell and regroup. This new bit of revelation might mean a change in strategy."

Sounds like no time to go exploring. Back to Stagfell!


27 NETH, 4711

It takes two and a half days to ride through the Narlmarches and back to Stagfell. There is no sign of either Kundal or Sir Perlivash along the way. The people of Stagfell are used to their leaders riding in and out at odd hours, and while they doff their caps or curtsy as you pass, they take little other notice.

Once in the Hart's Rest, Alister calls for a meeting of his counsel to discuss the matters of the tiny realm.

Take the Kingdom turn to the Discussion list, please! Let's make some plans!


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

Mikhail closets himself with Jhod for the time in the city and makes preparations for when Sir Alister is ready to take on the trolls.

Mikhail also asks around to see the cause of the nobles feud.

I want to earn Jhod's trust and find out what issues will effect the churches of the kingdom.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

I have a -1 penalty if I need to ask the local nobles to find out what is causing the strife.


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Piotr visits the sellers of magical and non-magical trinkets in Stagfell, looking for items that might be useful in their coming fight. Specifically, he is looking for potions and similar tinctures that might heal or protect himself and his companions.

Piotr is looking for Potions of Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Magic Weapon, Barkskin +2, Resist Fire (+10), Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace, Bear's Strength, Invisibility


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

Ahran will spend 160 gp of party loot to buy all 8 Alchemist's Fire available in the nation.

He will then ride to Restov to see how many acid flasks, or more Alchemist's Fire, he can come by.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Standing over a table in the Hart's Rest, Aristu drags his finger across the worn map. "All we know is that Hargulka is in the southern Narlmarches, so that's where we head. We should get Yorgi or one of the other barge captains to ferry us across the Tuskwater and Candlemere and drop us off near the Lizardfolk village. We can check in with Martok and see if he or any of his people have learned anything about the trolls that can help us. If not, we strike out to the south, then turn west and head into the heart of the forest and try and pick up troll sign that will lead us to Hargulka." He looks up at Alister, then at the rest of the Commissioners, to see their reaction.

SO, proposing a path starting at the Lizardfolk village, then along the path 1017-1117-1116-1115-1015-1016, until we find something to lead us to the trolls.


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"I have not yet gained the power to query the gods on my own, but if we could find one who can or perhaps a scroll of Divination we might be able to narrow our search considerably. Unless one of our arcanists might know a way to do something similar?"


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

Cancel Ahran's plan per timings discussion in the Gameplay thread.

"Perhaps we could stop by the Beldame on our way and ask her? She isn't too far, and may well know something we don't."


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Alister looks at the map for a long time before he speaks. "Aristu is right. It's time to end this. Our people are coming unglued with this threat of the trolls hanging over us like a headsman's blade. The people are afraid and their fear is leading us to turn on each other. It might actually be different if the trolls attacked and the people could see their enemy. But this waiting and tales of a growing threat is starting to unnerve them."

He points down at the map. "I think the general plan is sound. I suspect the trolls are hiding in the forest, rather than in the riverlands. We need to be able to find them, assess the location and make attack plans. If we just stumble on them, we're at a severe disadvantage."

Alister nods to Ahran. "I plan to sit with the Beldame tonight to ask her advice and see what she may know. I think we need to take more advantage of her sage advice, as prickly as it may be. Any of you are invited, of course. After consulting with her, I think tomorrow we need to call a war council."


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

"I'll join you. In the mean time, let's distribute these."

We have 8 Alchemist Fire. If Piotr can cast Acid Splash, then that's two flasks each for other members of the party, and we can all do something against them. If Piotr doesn't have easy access to acid/fire spells, that's less great. We should also get some torches we could light and use to burn them when they're down, but that's harder in the heat of battle.


So the plan is to spiral in clockwise from the Lizardfolk village. How are you proceeding? Are you exploring, which takes longer but has a higher chance of finding hidden things? Are you traveling, which is fast but doesn't see much beyond the route of march? Are you trying to be stealthy (probably without horses, then)?

What's the plan?


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

I think speed vs. thoroughness, etc will have to wait until we have consulted the Beldame and Lizardfolk to hear if they have any clues.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

I think we need to explore to ensure we find the trolls. We might find other things too, but some of them, we should be able to decide whether to engage or not. Stealth might be good, though the slower pace and the lack of stealth ability from some of us might be problematic.

GM, is the Beldame back in her hut? I forgot she didn't live in Stagfell. Alister might have to take a day to go visit her.


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu accepts the two flasks from Ahran. He considers the warrior for a moment, then turns to Alister, "Since our General is coming with us, we need to put someone in charge of the mercenaries that will be defending Stagfell in our absence - does Akiros make the most sense? Also, we should leave one of the magical signal towers with someone - Akiros again? or Derry? That way they can alert us if Stagfell comes under attack so that we can head back immediately."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

So, as a reminder (I went back to the rules on the Yuku page to check):
On foot (party speed 20'): 12 hours to cross a forest hex, 3 days to explore a forest hex.
On horse (party speed 50'): 5 hours to cross a forest hex, 1 day to explore a forest hex.


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"How much do you trust this Beldame? Should you travel to see her alone and what information could she give? Does she have access to divinations that might lead us to the right place or is she a broker of knowledge by talking to the others in the area?"


Are you going mounted or no?


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

I think we have to ride horses. At three days a hex, assuming we have to search each of the hexes that are clouded over we would either take well over a month even without running into all the other adventures that lie in the different hexes. If we get better info at the faster rate with horses we can back out and then come back with what stealth we can pull out later.


What did you do with the elven statuette you found at the Dancing Lady's fortress?


5 KUTHONA, 4711

The ground is hard-frozen as winter truly begins to grasp the Stolen Lands. Ice forms along the shores of the Shrike river and the Tuskwater. All the smaller ponds and lakes are frozen, and a light snow is beginning to fall. Bitter winds occasionally whip southeast from Brevoy, carrying the promise of a winter to remember.

The horses' breath steams and the Tuskwater turns a rosy gold in the early morning light.

"I don't recommend the barge today, sire," Yorgi tells Alister. "Those winds look unpredictable and the Candlemere neck will have ice in it, sure as I'm standing here. The good news is that the ground should be solid your whole way, if the snow stays away," he says, looking northwest doubtfully.

In the end, the companions don their heaviest furs and head out southwest around the Tuskwater. The trolls must come soon, or they will starve. Now that winter is here, only the Sword Marches has the food to sustain so many ravenous mouths. Pressing on through the morning, the team rode through gently falling snow towards the Narlmarches.

At Noon the sun stood no more than halfway up the southern sky and seemed to shed little warmth on Golarion. The treacherous mud flats around the Old Beldame's house were frozen solid, more slippery than sucking, and, picking their way with care, Alister and his court were soon gathered in the old woman's tiny hut, crammed in like nuts in a squirrel's nest.

"I don't have enough food for you, so don't ask," says the green-skinned old hag sourly. "There's tea, and that's all you'll get. Now. What do you want?"


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15
GM Tarondor wrote:
What did you do with the elven statuette you found at the Dancing Lady's fortress?

We would have taken it to Lily Teskerton, if there was time. If you wish us to RP it out, then it is stored in our lodgings / keep for the trolls to loot.


Yeah, I really think that's worth role playing. You may also want to consider who gives it to her.


The Golarion month of Kuthona is comparable to the Earth month of December. Stagfell is far north and near an enormous inland sea) (The Lake of Mists and Veils, north of Brevoy), so expect snow. I'm thinking that the weather is probably comparable to that of Fargo, North Dakota (or Calgary, Alberta). A more realistic economic model would only have you bringing in income for 7-8 months of the year.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

I'm happy to get a post up for Alister giving the statue to Lily (assuming, Aristu doesn't want to give it to her). We're headed back to Stagfell after the Beldame, right? I know it's back and forth, but I think we might need to sit down for a war council conversation after hearing what she says.


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

"Greetings, Beldame. Tea would be very nice." Alister sits on a stool he finds in the corner. He motions for the others to take a seat.

"Beldame, it's time for us to confront the trolls. Winter will make them more desperate, and the people of Stagfell are becoming unnerved at the continued threat. We've come to you to see what you may be able to tell us. I know at times you have visions or can seek the help of the gods. We value your counsel in this matter. Whatever you can tell us about the trolls or any disturbances in the southerns forests may help."

"We plan to march in force into the forests to drive them out. We have fire, but not much. We're hoping to find the trolls and take them by surprise."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu would encourage Alister to give the statuette to Lily when we have a chance.


The Old Beldame smacks her gums and brushes her lank hair from her face, sitting down on the only chair and pours herself some tea, pushing the pot and a few chipped cups your way afterwards.

"You have fought a troll, I believe, Alister Medvyed? Yes? Then you know that ten ordinary soldiers are no match for one troll. Hargulka has dozens of trolls. How many soldiers do you have? Not enough to overwhelm dozens of trolls, unless I very much miss my guess."

She pokes Alister's chest with a bony, clawed finger. "Which I do not. That is why you are here, yes?"

"If you march in force into the Narlmarches, your men and your kingdom will die. You may live, wandering the land, lamenting what might have been. In the first place, they are far mightier than you, and in the second, the stupidest troll is yet wise in woodcraft. You would not take them unaware in the woods and any archery you might bring to bear would be useless in the trackless forest."

She slurps her tea noisily. It is almost painful to watch for those raised amidst the social graces of the Brevoy nobility.

"Once, you might have wrought the trolls' destruction by force. Now you have few chances left of victory, for indeed I believe their lord can no longer hold them in check now that winter is upon them, nor would he wish to do so now that you have done all the labor of collecting the harvest and slaughtering the hogs. All their food gathered in one spot, so to speak."

"If you are to win, it must be by treachery and stealth. Honor and bright steel will gain you only the bottom of a troll's dinner sack."

"The greatest weakness of trolls is not fire or acid, but their own stupidity. They are strong as the hills and as dumb as rocks. Their wills are easily turned. Enchantments and illusions will serve you far better than spears and arrows."

"But it is not so of all trolls. Hargulka is no fool. Others around him are wiser than other trolls, too. And his herald is a dangerous warrior. Hargulka drives forward this army. Even if you somehow manage to defeat his army, he is a foe beyond any you have faced. Aroused, he is as fierce and cunning. You must kill him to have any hope of victory, and to defeat him, you must meet him when his army is away. Challenge him when they are present and the trolls in their berserk rage will simply tear you limb from limb."


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

Ahran nods. "Wise words; thank you. Do you have any indication of where Hargulka might make his lair?"


She regards Ahran, whom she has not met before with a long and assessing stare. It is not a comfortable time, for the old woman is literally green-skinned and hideously ugly.

At last she shakes her head. "It is said that he lairs within the Narlmarches, and this I believe, for his folk are not subtle enough to cross the Kamelands without being seen by trackers or hunters. And I doubt very much if he lairs within the eaves of the wood, for there he would have the same difficulty. No, Hargulka is deep within the Narlmarches, and far from any other power. You need not look for him near the fey mistresses of the wood."

"But beware, for other powers than Hargulka make the deep wood their home. The King of the Forest is there, too. An old and powerful drake is he."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu slowly lifts his tea cup for a sip of the pleasantly warm brew, then sets it down, being careful not to jostle the commissioners pressed in to either side of him. "I've heard about this drake, although I admit that I assumed it to be little more than a powerful beast. The way you speak of it makes it sound like something more...intelligent? canny? Might this King of the Forest resent Hargulka setting up another kingdom in his domain? Is he someone we could work with against the trolls? Or someone more likely to ally with the trolls?"


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Alister taps his fingers on his chin. "Enchantments and illusions. You're on to something there, Beldame... Trick the trolls either to doom or simply to buy enough time to confront Hargulka himself. The Herald is still a problem, but that would greatly help the odds."

"You know who is skilled in enchantments and illusions, besides my brother here? The fey. Beldame, if we can rally the fey, perhaps with Tiressa leading them, do you think they could ensnare and dupe the troll army long enough to let us confront Hargulka?"


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"The fey can be fickle and not necessarily prone to sticking their necks out for others. And I somehow doubt the drake will desire a chat with us if he finds us in the Narlmarches. Unless you could arrange a meeting on neutral ground? And from your previous statement that seems...unlikely." Mikhail nods briefly at Old Beldame before continuing.

"I think the focus should be on removing Hargulka before any of this can even be arranged. Trolls are dull and fearless. Even if Hargulka is wiser then average he will almost certainly still be foolhardy by any human standard and the guards he keeps will not share in his insight. If we can not use magic to find his home I think our focus should be on scouting the Narlmarshes quickly. The bonus to this is if we find some of the trolls out and about we can thin his numbers before any concentrated fighting. Currently, he and his forces have all of the advantages. They know where we are, they probably have a good idea of the strength of the forces in Stagfell, and their forces are pound for pound stronger then ours. Cutting off the head and dispersing them is the only true hope."

Mikhail shakes his head and looks around before finishing, "Time is not on our side. We could scout half the Narlmarsh or more by the time you arrange a meeting with several other factions or creatures who may or may not agree to help us and then they may always pull out if they decide sacrificing us to the trolls saves them. If we know more we can always back out and come up with a better plan that may entice more guaranteed assistance. But now we are basically asking them to go to war with the trolls while we thrash around in the dark."

I have no idea if the troll forces are assumed to always be X number in the attack or if there is a growth rate of Y per week until they hit critical mass, or something else entirely, but in character I am assuming their numbers are not actually infinite and if we can prune some away now it may make a defense of Stagfell possible even if we fail to get to the leader.


Mikhail Templeson wrote:
I have no idea if the troll forces are assumed to always be X number in the attack or if there is a growth rate of Y per week until they hit critical mass, or something else entirely, but in character I am assuming their numbers are not actually infinite and if we can prune some away now it may make a defense of Stagfell possible even if we fail to get to the leader.

Their numbers are finite. Things you do will definitely have an impact on the future.


Aristu Medvyed wrote:
Aristu slowly lifts his tea cup for a sip of the pleasantly warm brew, then sets it down, being careful not to jostle the commissioners pressed in to either side of him. "I've heard about this drake, although I admit that I assumed it to be little more than a powerful beast. The way you speak of it makes it sound like something more...intelligent? canny? Might this King of the Forest resent Hargulka setting up another kingdom in his domain? Is he someone we could work with against the trolls? Or someone more likely to ally with the trolls?"

The Old Beldame looks appraisingly at Aristu. "Perhaps. It is not impossible. I would not want to attempt it, for they are as foul-tempered and territorial as they are cunning. It could spell disaster before you can come to grips with Hargulka. But yes, a true drake on your side would be an immense asset."

Alister Medvyed wrote:

Alister taps his fingers on his chin. "Enchantments and illusions. You're on to something there, Beldame... Trick the trolls either to doom or simply to buy enough time to confront Hargulka himself. The Herald is still a problem, but that would greatly help the odds."

"You know who is skilled in enchantments and illusions, besides my brother here? The fey. Beldame, if we can rally the fey, perhaps with Tiressa leading them, do you think they could ensnare and dupe the troll army long enough to let us confront Hargulka?"

"The fey do not organize easily or quickly. And they have no reason, in their minds, to follow you. If the trolls march through their territory, the fey will harass them. I do not think you could ask for much more. Though I wonder if this Tiressia might know where Hargulka lairs. Dryads know much that happens in a forest."

Mikhail Templeson wrote:

"The fey can be fickle and not necessarily prone to sticking their necks out for others. And I somehow doubt the drake will desire a chat with us if he finds us in the Narlmarches. Unless you could arrange a meeting on neutral ground? And from your previous statement that seems...unlikely." Mikhail nods briefly at Old Beldame before continuing.

"I think the focus should be on removing Hargulka before any of this can even be arranged. Trolls are dull and fearless. Even if Hargulka is wiser then average he will almost certainly still be foolhardy by any human standard and the guards he keeps will not share in his insight. If we can not use magic to find his home I think our focus should be on scouting the Narlmarshes quickly. The bonus to this is if we find some of the trolls out and about we can thin his numbers before any concentrated fighting. Currently, he and his forces have all of the advantages. They know where we are, they probably have a good idea of the strength of the forces in Stagfell, and their forces are pound for pound stronger then ours. Cutting off the head and dispersing them is the only true hope."

Mikhail shakes his head and looks around before finishing, "Time is not on our side. We could scout half the Narlmarsh or more by the time you arrange a meeting with several other factions or creatures who may or may not agree to help us and then they may always pull out if they decide sacrificing us to the trolls saves them. If we know more we can always back out and come up with a better plan that may entice more guaranteed assistance. But now we are basically asking them to go to war with the trolls while we thrash around in the dark."

The Old Beldame nods approvingly. "So you see, I think this is your task, Alister. You and your men, here. Go and strike now, I say. Or you may yet return to smoking ruin."


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

"Yes, we should hunt Hargulka directly now. Time is not on our side. We may go to our deaths, but if we do not, we doom the people of Stagfell to theirs."


Human Bard 7 [hp 47/47; F+4, R+7, W+8 (+4 vs. language and sonic); AC 18/12/17; Init +1, Perception +10, Sense Motive +16]

Alister sighs. "Very well. My brother will have to serve as the fey-trickster." He smirks at Aristu. "So we go troll-hunting. We need to look for any signs of them. animal carcasses, tracks, whatever."


Male Human Sorcerer 7 (Fey) - HP 37/37 - AC: 13 / T: 12 / FF: 12 - F: +3 / R: +5/ W: +6 - CMB: +4 - CMD: 15, Speed: 30', Init. +1 - Perception +3

Aristu listens to Mikhail, and nods, "I completely agree with you about the urgency of the situation, Mikhail. And I am certainly not suggesting taking the time to set up a meeting with this drake. But it sounds like there's a reasonable chance we will run in to him while searching the forest for trolls. If we do, then what I am suggesting is the possibility of an opportunity. We don't have to be friends to have a common enemy. Even if King Drake isn't inclined to to fight the trolls with us, if we know where he lairs, then perhaps we can trick some trolls into trespassing or even attacking him."


Wizard 7 (Conjurer) - HP 40/40, AC 15 / T: 12 / FF: 13; Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7; CMB +2, CMD 14; Speed 30; Init +2; Perception +15

Misdirection and trickery, even spells of illusion, are not my strong suits," adds Piotr. "I will do what I can, though. Your thought of rousing the other threats in the forest against the trolls may work, in the short term. And the short term may be all that we have.

I wish that we knew more of those boggards who must come from the swamps west of the Narlmarches. Rousing them against Hargulka may blunt both threats. If trickery is our course, sending someone pretending to be Hargulka's herald to demand submission and tribute from the boggards might send them against the trolls."


Male Human Fighter [Buckler Duelist] 2 / Cleric 4/ Holy Vindicator 1 - HP 56/56 - AC 27/T: 12/FF: 25 - F: +10 R: +3 W: +9 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 22, Speed: 20, Init: +1 - Perception +15 ; Hero Points- 1; Channels /3

"Perhaps Sir Alister or your own diplomatic skills are capable of stopping a charging Drake, because I have little doubt if he sees us he will charge, but that is not something I am so skilled at. I of course will happily pray to Abadar that if we run into him you are successful. For now though we should plan on having to fight pretty much anything we run across and then hope for the best. The real question is where in the Narlmarsh shall we begin. I am betting that he is fairly far in. If he was too close to the explored regions we might hear about gatherings of trolls near. So I think we should cut through a distance and then begin our search."


So do we have a plan?


Male Human Slayer 6; - HP 46/46 ,- AC 17/T: 13/FF: 14 - F: +6 R: +7 W: +3 - CMB: +8 - CMD: 23, Speed: 30, Init. +4, - Perception +13

We had originally thought about spiralling out from the lizardfolk. Ahran thinks we should go toward the lizardfolk and ask them (or any people along the way) whether they have any troll sightings or rumours. Then depending on what we hear, we plan from there.

151 to 200 of 2,048 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tarondor's Kingmaker Campaign: Rivers Run Red All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.