GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


2,501 to 2,550 of 2,769 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

As Thod drinks his potion, Sevenspawn chips in to ready their warrior and produces the wand once more.

Wand of CSW: 3d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 6, 7) + 5 = 24

Seeing the last of the stalwart dwarf's ample health return, the priest slaps Thod on the shoulder in a "you're good to go" motion and readies his shield.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

If there's time, Sevenspawn with cast Bless on the party for a little pre-scuff buff.

**

Bless fills your allies with courage. Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Except Androids are immune. ;p But please, seriously, don't let that stop you.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Yeah, it's just a first-level spell. I imagine it would make SS wonder why she isn't affected, assuming he'd note that... probably good conversation between them for downtime. No point having interesting character stories if no one asks, amiright?


.

GM Rolls:

Will Saves: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 301d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Initiative:

BlackJack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Thod: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Sevenspawn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Donnell: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Ysania: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Pilts: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

More Rolls:

Confusion: 1d100 ⇒ 48
RandoRod: 1d100 ⇒ 39
REflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 151d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Damage: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 1, 1, 6, 2) = 16

The thug runs off cackling with his bag of money, muttering about how he can finally start that monkey farm in Mwangi.

You take a moment to bolster yourself, and kick the door open. Pilts seems to be prepared for you thought, and as the door flies open, he chants a spell! Strange sparkles start flying around you, which manage to bedazzle Donnell and Ysania! Ysania babbles weirdly to herself, having completely lost her wits. Pilts then follows up by blasting a lightning bold down the hallway! Blackjack evades the bolt while Thod gets away from the worst of it.

Round One:

Ysania
Pilts
---
Blackjack
Sevenspawn
Donnell
Thod

Donnell is confused! Thod takes 8 damage from the worst lightning bolt ever. EVERYONE IS UP

Note - order of actions was readied action and then Pilts won initiative which is why he acted twice.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"TIME FOR THE ENCORE!"

Thod rushes ahead, halberd at the ready.

Rushing ahead. I fully expect there's a trap in the way. If there is, note that Thod has Trap Sense, giving him +2 to AC and Reflex saves against traps. (AC will be 23 vs. trap. Reflex +5

If there is no trap, or if Thod is able to dodge/ignore it, he will attack Pilts. Notably, however, he'll take the -4 penalty to do Subdual damage.
Subdual Attack: 1d20 + 13 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 3 - 4 = 15 Subdual Damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Current effects:
Bless (+1 morale to hit)
Bull's Strength (+4 Strength, equating to +2 to hit and damage.)


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Seeing Donnell's condition Sevenspawn instantly shakes his head, speaking firmly to Pilts and activating one of Milani's gifts. He holds out standard aloft.

"No, little tyrant."

Freedom’s Call: At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot aura of freedom for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (8). Allies within this aura are not affected by the confused, grappled, frightened, panicked, paralyzed, pinned, or shaken conditions. This aura only suppresses these effects, and they return once a creature leaves the aura or when the aura ends, if applicable. These rounds do not need to be consecutive.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell’s eyes begin to glaze over and, as he jostles Ysania when dodging the lightning bolt, raises the butt of his crossbow to crack her skull. Behind him, Sevenspawn’s standard cracks and the scent of roses fills Donnell’s nose, clearing his mind. His fury at this jumped-up bandit is renewed, and he moves into the room, spraying Pilts with a quick-hardening goo.

Please move Donnell to the southeast corner of Pilts’s room.

Adhesive Spittle
An entangled creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make concentration check with a DC of 14 + the spell’s level or be unable to cast the spell.

DC 14 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon.

Duration: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4 rounds


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

I love having Evasion! ^_^

"No more, you tin-pot tyrant! No more!" 'Blackjack' shouts as the vigilante leaps into the room on Thod's heels.
Although she does let the Dwarf go first, just in case there are traps, she leaps to his side in attacking Pilts with her mithral rapier.

Mithral rapier 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 damage.

Status:
Bombs 6/8; 3d6+4
Mutagen +2 AC, +2 Str., -2 Int.
Ki 0/2; Kundalini 1/3
AC 18


.

Nice use of your ability!

GM Rolls:

Reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 131d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 211d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 121d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Concentration: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22

Sevenspawn sounds out a burst of freeing energy, and Ysania and Donnell quickly shake their heads, coming out of their stupors.

Pilts dodges the worst of the adhesive spittle and turns out to be a very able opponent as he bobs and weaves around Raven's and Thod's attacks. Ysania lets fly with a flurry of hand axes, but Pilts hits the ground and they all thunk into the wall behind him.

Pilts is clearly starting to panic, and he quickly chants a spell. Once done, his form blurs making him harder to hit.

Round Two:

(aura of freedom, 8)
Ysania
Pilts (adhesive spittle 4) (displacement)
---
Blackjack
Sevenspawn
Donnell
Thod

Everyone is up! Pilts has displacement which is a 50% miss chance for those of you in melee.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Miss chance 1d100 ⇒ 97

"Cute," Blackjack says as she stabs down at Pilts, "but I can see you just fine."

Stabbity 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9. If Pilts being prone means I get to pile on sneak attack damage, then please add another 1d6 ⇒ 2 damage.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell’s eyes narrow in annoyance, and he quaffs an extract from his bandolier.

True Strike

Movement: Ranged Study


.

He's not prone, just sticky.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Moved your token, Donnell... You asked in a previous post to move it, so I hope it hadn't been done yet.

"QUIT DRAGGING ON THE PERFORMANCE! THE AUDIENCE HAS ALREADY GONE HOME!"

Full attack action, re-entering my rage. Still attempting Subdual.
Attack 1: 1d20 + 18 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 18 - 4 = 33 Damage 1: 1d10 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19 Miss chance 1 (High good): 1d2 ⇒ 1
Attack 2: 1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 13 - 4 = 23 Damage 2: 1d10 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15 Miss chance 2 (High good): 1d2 ⇒ 2

Current effects:
Bless: +1 Morale to hit and fear saves.
Bull's Strength: +4 (Enhancement) Strength
Rage: +4 (Morale) Strength, +6 Constitutuion, +2 Will, -2 AC
AC: 18
Current attack: +8 Base, +4 Strength, +2 Rage Str., +2 Magic Str., +1 Halberd, +1 Bless = +18
Current Damage: +8 Strength, +4 2H, +1 Halberd = +13
Rage remaining: 17/21


.

I think Sevenspawn just went on a big vacation so I'm gonna GMPC.

GM Rolls:

Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
acrobatics: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33
Rod: 1d100 ⇒ 82

Realizing what kind of a mess the protective spells on Pilts are going to be, Sevenspawn quickly chants a spell.

And the displacement on Pilts fades away, making him an easier target! Ysania then runs in, skidding under Pilts' reach, coming up beside him. Pilts again points his rod at the group, swinging it wildly and hoping for a usable effect.

Thod suddenly feels himself swell in size under the effects of the rod's magic. With a mighty roar, he grows to a good eight feet tall, barely able to stand up in the room, but towering over Pilts!

Round Two:

(aura of freedom, 7)
Ysania
Pilts (adhesive spittle 3)
---
Blackjack
Sevenspawn
Donnell
Thod

Thod is enlarged with all the requisite changes (higher weapon damage die, +2 str, -2 Dex, -1 AC, and -1 attack).


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

'Blackjack' blinks once, then speaks with what is very much Raven Six's dessicated dry sarcasm as she stabs at Pilts: "You really are an utter idiot, aren't you?"

Flanking sneak attack: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 2 = 18 for 1d6 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + (2) = 6 damage.

Status: 
Bombs 6/8; 3d6+4 
Mutagen +2 AC, +2 Str., -2 Int. 
Ki 0/2; Kundalini 1/3 
AC 18


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Even as Thod’s sudden bulk squishes Donnell further into the corner, he grins: ”I love that wand - what do you call that? A wand of wonder?”

LXB1: 1d20 + 12 + 20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 20 + 4 = 44
concealment negated
Dam1: 1d6 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 4 = 8

LXB2: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 4 = 23
Dam2: 1d6 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 4 = 7

Blue Whinnis Poison on both bolts
Save: Fortitude DC 14
Frequency: 1/round for 2 rounds
Cure: 1 save
Initial Effect: 1 Con damage
Secondary Effect: Unconsciousness for 1d3 hours


.

GM Rolls:

Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 121d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

With the spell dispelled, Blackjack manages to trip up Pilts a little which exposes his back to Donnell. Two crossbow bolts fly home.

Pilts swipes out at Blackjack's face. "Bow befor--me..."

And he keels over and collapses face-first on the ground.

End of Combat


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

'Blackjack' looks down on the body and says one word: "Pass."

Then she stoops to briefly frisk the body, tossing Donnell the rod.

"We should nab another thug before they all scarper and have them guide us to the painter. Thod? Can you get out of this room or should we find you some butter?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

The rod quickly disappears into one of Donnell’s many pockets.

”Restrain him - he’ll be out for a while, but we don’t want him disappearing again. Ysania, would you mind poking your head outside to see if anyone is around?”

Quickly and quietly, while Ysania is out of the room: ”Pilts admitted to knowing that Vencarlo and Blackjack are one and the same, and that they are here somewhere. I doubt there are any of his men about - I think our best bet is to search this place ourselves and then to see about setting up a new power structure before we have to kill another despot. Sevenspawn - how are you feeling about Ysania and the Kings?”

Donnell, his mind always whirling, will inspect the room while they talk.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 13 + (1) = 27


.

You're level eight. I'm going to auto-ID common magic items now.

Ysania shakes her head as she looks over Pilts' pock-marked body. "Pitiful creature really. Voice like gold, face like a pig's arse." She heads out and you hear her shouting at a few people before she comes back in with the gnome's body. "That gnome was a terror if I e'er saw one. Glad e's dead. The one you paid off is being chased by the rest of Pilts' men. Didn't think to grab the swag offa this one."

And swag there is. As you go through the treasure, Thod returns to normal size.

On Pilts and the gnome you find the following:

- a potion of barkskin +2
- the golden scepter he was waving around that was casting random spells
- a glamered chain shirt +1 (this will change its appearance to be whatever clothes you want)
- a cloak of resistance +2
- a headband of alluring charisma +2
- 291 gp
- +1 leather armor (small)
- +1 greataxe (regular size)
- amulet of natural armor +1
- belt of giant strength +2

Furthemore, being in Pilts' bedroom you find more loot:

- Three original Salvator Screams.

Paintings:

The first depicts a full portrait of a thin humanoid wearing shadows as he stands framed by a dolmen of great size. The figure’s brilliant blue eyes are the only true points of color in the piece, and they seem to
almost glow with anger.

The second picture depicts a rugged mountain range above a desert under a harsh blue sky. In the foreground, a quartet of Vudrani tusked camels ridden by N’darr tribes people race across dunes that, upon closer examination, consist of tiny skulls.

The final portrait is the most disturbing, for it depicts a handsome man in the process of peeling away the flesh of his arms as if he were taking off a pair of gloves. Underneath, his arms are muscular and covered with glittering blue scales. The man’s expression is one of delight, yet his eyes are empty pits of blackness. Half seen in the shadows beyond him are thousands of humans impaled on towering wooden poles erected in the shadow of an indistinct shape looming on the horizon—perhaps a castle, maybe a mountain, but likely something more.

Donnell looks over the paintings and notices something interesting about the second work, an obscure fact pinging in his mind. The second picture appears to be a minor, but haunting scene from Umbral Leaves, the unholy text of Zon-Kuthon.

Sevenspawn Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 201d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Donnell Knowledge REligion: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 7 + (2) = 111d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 7 + (4) = 181d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 7 + (5) = 31
Donnell Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (14) + 7 + (3) = 24

Appraise DC 20:

The first portrait is worth around 450 gp. The second would sell for around 1,100 gp. The third is worth a staggering 2,000 gp.

As you go over everything, you hear a voice call out from the west, faintly.

"H-hello? HELLO?! Uh.. ahem. Lord Emperor Pilts the magnificent are uh... you still there?"


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Oof. Crowded in here. Uhh... Why did he cast a spell to make me bigger? Is this some sort of tactical thing, that he hoped it'd make me slower and easier to move around?"

Donnell wrote:
"Pilts admitted to knowing that Vencarlo and Blackjack are one and the same, and that they are here somewhere. I doubt there are any of his men about."

"He did? When?"

Seriously, did he? I don't remember. I looked back, and didn't see anything that looked like it.
"Sure seem to be in a habit of removing self-appointed kings. Spider king. Sewer king. Now Emperor Pilts. Workin' our way up."

"This growth won't last long, will it?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"You'll be fine," 'Blackjack' says to Thod. "It's just an Enlarge person-spell."

The vigilante actually growls with displeasure at the paintings, her nascent aesthetics offended by the sight. She turns towards the strange voice and draws her sword.

"He is not," she replies. "We are here now. Who is speaking?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

lost my goddmned post - typing on this touch screen takes forever! I’ll try this again...

Grinning at the enlarged dwarf: ”Back when we were outside, before he ran off. As for deposing political leaders,” he glances sidelong at Sevenspawn, ”blame the cleric.” And, continuing in a mutter under his breath, ”And I don’t think we’ve yet seen the end of it.”

@Thod: D asked where Vencarlo was and Pilts replied:

GM SpiderBeard wrote:
"Of course Blackjack is here

. Though possibly I’ve misinterpreted that response.

Appraise: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

”Looks like these paintings will fetch us a pretty penny, if we can find a buyer - I know I wouldn’t want one of Scream’s paintings hanging where I could see it (as much as it does match the current decor in the Warrens...). This one, particularly - it looks like something out of a Zon-Kuthon text. Huh... I wonder if there’s a connection with that underground temple below the hospital - I wonder if this is further evidence of a link between what has happened on the island with the Queen’s machinations...”

Leaving one part of his brain to mull that over, Donnell turns the sceptre over in his palm: ”I don’t think Pilts meant to make you larger, Thod. I’ll ask Zellara about this later, but I suspect it works randomly.”

Slipping the sceptre through a belt loop, Donnell straightens: ”Well, let's take a look through the rest of this building - hopefully, we get lucky and we find Vencarlo, or at least clues as to his whereabouts. I say we start there,” as he points to the western door, before moving over to examine it more closely.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 13 + (6) = 26
with an extra +4 for traps


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Ugh. If Salvator is still alive, I say he can have his pictures back. I sure as hell don't want them hanging up in the hideout. Trying to make it look more Dwarven and less... Dead."

Thod calls out to the west. "Salvator? Is that you?"


.

You missed that response. He said that when Raven Six as Blackjack showed up.

"Yes? OH GODS YES! PLEASE LET ME OUT! IS HE GONE? IS HE DEAD?! LET ME OUUUUT!"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

No worries, I see how I misread that now.

In case it wasn’t clear, Donnell will open the door to the west if untrapped.

Note that Pilts is unconscious from poison for 1d3 ⇒ 1 hours, which should give us enough time to search the building and then question him if we don’t find what we are looking for. I suggest having Ysania guard him in the mean time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

The priest returns Donnell’s glance, offering a silent shrug as if to suggest his comment may be a fair cop. Spending a moment to give his standard inspection of everyone’s wellbeing, he stops in front of Raven Six.

”You make an excellent Blackjack,” he offers. ”The pageantry was impressive. I wonder if you might channel it again in support of the Dead Kings? Our numbers are low, and there are many about this bunch here in Old Korvosa that might be swayed to join the cause against tyrannies such as this one. Ysania, my brothers and my sisters are good allies to us, and we may yet need to call upon them again.”


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

The vigilante turns to look Sevenspawn in the eye, her blue eyes staring out from behind the mask. The pupil widens … contracts … widens … contracts. When she speaks, her voice is somehow subtly different. It is not the normal Raven Six's monotone, not the gleeful savagery of Raven Six-a, but something in-between. Passion tempered by reason, reason brought alive by passion, perhaps?

"... Yes. Yes, this would be a good thing to do under the circumstances. But Blackjack will not be a kingmaker; I will not grant the Dead Kings an army to set themselves up as the new rulers of the city. If Blackjack calls for the people to support the Dead Kings, then this time the Dead Kings must be committed to supporting them. Old Korvosa must be a bulwark against the evils plaguing this city, not a point from which attacks sally forth and call down the Grey Maidens' wrath on untrained commoners. Do you agree?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

”Well, ‘kingmaking’ is pretty much what this will be, if not in the officially royal sense. What’s needed are honourable thieves to run things on Old Korvosa - not shiver-pushers and tyrants. I trust the ‘Kings because I trust Phaedran, but he’s right: they don’t have the numbers. Mass recruitment, unfortunately, risks turning the Dead Kings into just another corrupt gang of thugs. Regardless, this is a conversation for later; and one that, hopefully, Vencarlo can help us with.”


.

I knew i missed a game yesterday. Sorry kids!

"Y'd best actually understand what the Kings are for, Blackjack. We'na raising an army, we keep peace - take care of community. But we'll talk."

There's a lot more banging on the door. "LET ME OUUUUUTTT!!"


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Oh, calm down! We're coming, sheesh!"

"Wanna speed it up a bit, Donnell? Seems his accommodations were less than pleasant."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"Walking through the door blindly is a different way of searching for traps - go right on in, if you like."


.

To make a long story short - the door is not trapped and just barred. You lift the bar, and out stumbles one Salvator Scream.

He looks around wildly and sees Pilts' corpse on the ground. With a cry of glee the painter runs over to kick him as hard as he can - however he only manages to yelp and collapse as he legs collapse out from under him. In the room behind him the reek of paint and body odour wafts out towards you. You see a massive easel upon which is a mostly completed painting of fiends attacking a village.

"oh gods" moans Scream before he pushes himself into a sitting position. "Who are you? I suppose it doesn't matter... can I go home? Is this misery all over? This is not the life I planned on living - I suppose the one I had planned for involved a lot more flayleaf and many fewer deranged gangsters in bad crowns yelling at me to paint faster."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |
Raven Six wrote:
"... Yes. Yes, this would be a good thing to do under the circumstances. But Blackjack will not be a kingmaker; I will not grant the Dead Kings an army to set themselves up as the new rulers of the city. If Blackjack calls for the people to support the Dead Kings, then this time the Dead Kings must be committed to supporting them. Old Korvosa must be a bulwark against the evils plaguing this city, not a point from which attacks sally forth and call down the Grey Maidens' wrath on untrained commoners. Do you agree?"

Sevenspawn's brows furrow slightly at the start of this statement, and furrow completely by the end of it. Donnell replies before he can, however, the priest still on his back foot at her words.

Donnell wrote:
”Well, ‘kingmaking’ is pretty much what this will be, if not in the officially royal sense. What’s needed are honourable thieves to run things on Old Korvosa - not shiver-pushers and tyrants. I trust the ‘Kings because I trust Phaedran, but he’s right: they don’t have the numbers. Mass recruitment, unfortunately, risks turning the Dead Kings into just another corrupt gang of thugs. Regardless, this is a conversation for later; and one that, hopefully, Vencarlo can help us with.”

The priest sets his jaw hard at this, further troubled now by Donnell's thoughts on the matter. It is not hard to see that he has found both statements concerning, but he looks to Ysania, who speaks as Broken Crown.

Ysania wrote:
"Y'd best actually understand what the Kings are for, Blackjack. We'na raising an army, we keep peace - take care of community. But we'll talk."

He nods once to his leader and masters his patience to speak at a later time. For now, he checks on the condition of Salvator Scream silently.

Heal: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


.

Ysania exchanges a significant look with Sevenspawn but otherwise keeps it quiet, knowing full well this can be discussed later. It's clear she's unhappy.

Scream manages to get himself to the table in the south room and he slumps down, moaning. "My head feels like there's a halfling living in it." Spotting a decanter of wine, he pours a good amount into a glass before draining it. "Right... right. Who are you lot?"

To Sevenspawn he looks malnourished and he probably has rickets. However some sunlight and food will set him right. It's also very obvious he's addicted to... well, probably everything.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Poking his head into the room Scream just vacated,

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 13 + (4) = 23

Donnell speaks absentmindedly to the painter over a shoulder: "We're looking for Vencarlo - he's missing, and a witness said you had dealings with him recently. Dealings that occasionally became arguments?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Blackjack moves forward slightly at the group are and ... just crosses her arms.


.

Donnell checks the room Scream was in. There doesn't seem to have been much here beyond Scream and a lot of paint.

The air in this room is an unpleasant mix of body odor and paint. A lumpy straw mattress lies on the floor in one corner of the room, partially covered by a few blankets, while in the other stands a large easel on which rests a nearly completed painting of immense fiends attacking a village.

Scream stares at Blackjack. "Vencarlo is missing?! Oh Gods, you gotta find the man. This is not good, not good at all. Wait, is that Blackjack? Uh, hello. Damnable fever dream may as well go on." He refills his wine glass, downing it quickly again. "Ahh... Vencarlo, yes. You're friends of him, I'll talk and be honest. Whatever you want provided I get an escort out of here but ... can you close the door? Privacy, yes."

Ysania stalks over to the door, kicking it closed. "Reach yer point, Scream."

He looks around conspiratorially and then starts speaking. "I've spoken with Vencarlo a lot, y'know? He was asking me about..." He drops his voice. "Neolandus Kalepopolis."

He lets the name of the missing castle seneschal hang in the room. "Ahhh got yer attention then, yes?" He guzzles more wine. "Bloke showed up at my place after the King died, desperate, blood-soaked, and poisoned. Needed a place to hide so I helped him out. He told me that - listening? Queen Ileosa had her husband murdered, and was in an alliance with the Red Mantis assassins. They were the ones who tried to assassinate Neolandus, bastard survived only on luck."

He waggles the goblet at the lot of you as you listen. "More yet... something changed about her. She'd grown ah 'worse' was the word. Neolandus wouldnt' tell me more - said that the more I knew, the safer he'd be. And with that, he realized he needed a real hideout. So he went to the safest place on Old Korvosa..."

Salvator walks over to a window, and points out of it to the black palace atop Garrison hill. "The Arkonas. Neolandus was convinced they opposed the queen and would help him out, so he went there. But Vencarlo didn't think the same. Started saying they didn't have Neolandus' best interests in mind. Nobody had heard from Neolandus... and now Vencarlo is missing? Whatever's going on can't be good!"

Turning hysterical he grabs Sevenspawn's cloak collar, wild-eyed. "Korvosa's not a safe place for either of them! They need to escape the city!" He looks around. "And me! You as well!"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell's nose wrinkles at the sight (and smell) of Scream's room/cell. Turning back, Donnell scrutinizes the painter - the man is saying all the right words, but Donnell is still suspicious:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 7 + (6) = 26

"So - Kalelopolis has taken refuge with the Arkonas? If that's true, he will be much easier to find. Perhaps Vencarlo pursued him? It seems unlikely the Queen has him... " Realizing his thoughts are coming out of his mouth, Donnell switches to hand gestures "Red Mantis still looking for Vencarlo - probably means Queen hasn't caught him. Vencarlo may be with Arkonas?"

Without missing a beat, the halfling continues on aloud to Scream: "We can't get you out of the city at the moment, but we might be able to hide you somewhere. Alternatively... What do you know of the cult of Zon-Kuthon? One of their clerics is wandering the island, looking for you - sounds like they'd like to talk to you about your muse."

And, again, silently: "Let's finish checking compound to make sure Vencarlo isn't here somewhere. Then off to Arkona's - want to find Vencarlo, but also need Kalelopolis for Field Marshall."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn tolerates Scream's grabbing of his cloak for a moment before grasping the man's wrists and ripping them away. He points a finger at the man, hard, but hesitates before speaking. His head is still swimming from the accusations made by the fellow.

"If what you say is true," he says at last, "then it is with the Dead Kings that you will be safest - at least for now." He nods to Ysania for her agreement, and snatches the wine away from the man to ensure he consumes no more.


.

Donnell is pretty damn sure that Scream is spilling his heart out right now. Although the man seems desperate if not insane, it's pretty clear that he's not lying.

Ysania smirks. "That is if pipsqueak here don' expect us to take over t'island and install a reign of terror lastin' a thousand years. Sure, we can take him."

Scream lets out a sigh of relief and lets go of Sevenspawn as he hears he'll have a safe house. "I know the reputation of the Dead Kings as well as anyone, good enough for me. And Zon... who? No clue what you're talking about. I don't deal with religious stuff, I just paint what my muse tells me to. Last series of paintings came from some intense dreams - good flayleaf helped with them."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Spiderbeard, reminder that we intentionally tried to take Pilts alive. I was striking with subdual damage, and he got knocked out with poison, so he should be alive, though tied up.

Thod gives an odd grunt of disagreement as Sevenspawn yanks Scream's drink away from him, followed by pulling out one of his own flasks and hands it to Scream. Of course, Thod's usual drinks are not nearly as smooth as wine tends to be.

"Some weird woman who apparently follows a dark god think you've been touched by her master or something like that. Wants to find you. By the way, you want your pictures here back?"

"Anyways, so now we gotta get an audience with that family. What should we do with the wannabe king here?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Frowning slightly at the looks passing between Sevenspawn and Ysania, Donnell turns to them and, as an aside: "I know that running the island isn't what the Dead Kings want, all I meant was that we should be wary of leaving a power-vacuum. The last time we did that, we got this rotten mackerel running things. We have better things to do than take out a new group of thugs every two weeks. Maybe the Kings can join with Vencarlo or the Arkonas (assuming we can find either)?"

Looking over at Thod's comment: "Pilts will be out for at least an hour - I suggest we take that time to search the rest of his 'palace' and then question him when he comes to."

If there's no objection, Donnell will lead them to the doorway to the south, check it for traps, then ask Thod to open it.

Perception: 1d20 + 17 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 17 + (3) = 31


.

@Thod thanks for the reminder!

You leave Pilts tied up and possibly with some broken ribs after the kicking Scream gave him while Scream greedily drinks some more of Thod's booze. Although he's clearly a little drunk, despite however long of malnutrition he can hold his booze. He looks at you. "The paintings? Bah, yours! I'm sure they'll make you plenty. I can make more... consider it a gift of thanks."

You head back to the door to the south that lead into a hallway, and swing it open. Standing there is the priestess of Zon-Kuthon, Laori. "Hi guys! I couldn't help but eavesdrop and sounds like you found Scream. HI SCREAM! Don't worry I'm a friend. Boy what a coincidence. Mind if I talk with him a little? you guys can uh, keep searching. Promise I won't hurt him, just need to ask a few questions in the service of my dark lord, you know how it is."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

'Blackjack' uncrosses her arms in a not too subtle manner.

"You claimed useful knowledge which you wished to trade for a chance to secure the painter. We already know about Neolandus, and your knowledge is therefore outdated. And Scream already has asylum. Why should we now allow you to access him? What do you have to offer?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn's face goes grim at the site of the priestess. He stands behind Raven Six, a little off her left shoulder, as he does when he is backing up Donnell.

There is nothing to be said. His position when dealing with this person remains unmoved.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Oh, who cares? Screamie's an adult, and crazy skull-humper's also an adult... I think, can never tell with elves... Point is, we aren't Salvator's parents. If he wants to talk to her, he's allowed to. I don't even like him, and we got the info we need out of him. As long as she doesn't rip his skin off and dance in his guts, I don't care... You don't intend to do that, right?"

"Blackjack, shouldn't you be dramatically whipping your cape and leaping out of here with a witty phrase or something? Doesn't seem like you to hang around after the big performance." *Wink, wink, knowing nod.*


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell rolls his eyes and pushes past the cleric into the room beyond, speaking backwards to the group behind him:

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 13 + (6) = 26

"Ask Ysania if she'll keep watch over the conversation, assuming you don't want to. The more important question, Laori, is how did you come to be here? Until a few minutes ago, this place was crawling with Pilts's thugs."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 7 + (4) = 18


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"We're just moving into the second act, lad," Blackjack tells Thod. "Not the time to bow out just yet..."

2,501 to 2,550 of 2,769 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.