GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


2,401 to 2,450 of 2,774 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"You really want to wear that mask and cape, don't you? You sure keep looking for any excuse to play dress-up. Never figured you for the overly dramatic deceptive type."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I shall consume my mutagen," Raven Six says, shrugging. "That way, most resemblance to my usual self will be absent. Also, Self-a does possess traits resembling what you just described, 'cute' (lol) Dwarf Thod."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)
Raven Six wrote:
"What if Blackjack were to request the audience?"

"What did you have in mind?"


.

Still here but do your thing. And you need a detect magic spell and spellcraft on the same person to do it. However you can cast identify with the harrow deck 3x a day if you so wish. The DC on this bad boy is 30.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Blackjack is well-respected among the populace, and feared by some. If Blackjack appears, Pilts may be more … amenable to granting us access to Salvator Scream, who may also be more willing to speak. We can hopefully practice deceit, availing ourselves of the scum's fear, rather than being obligated to resort to force right off the bat."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Oh right - I keep forgetting about Zellara! If everyone's ok with it, I say we identify the pigments using the Harrow deck.

Looking doubtful: "Well... if between extracts and mutagens you can successfully disguise yourself as Blackjack, I can't see any harm in it. But, from everything we've heard of Pilts, I suspect we are going to be fighting in the arena before we can have a face-to-face - possibly even against Vencarlo, who is likely their current champion."


.

Feel free to roll with the identify spell. It's 3x a day so it's a renewable resource so I'd recommend just using it. On my end I'm waiting for the group to come to consensus on the plan. Right now I have Raven-as-blackjack doing... what and are you with her?


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Cute Lull? Huh? Raven's spewing weird words again."

"And, uh, doesn't Blackjack usually just kind of pop in, make a big show, and then run out? Not sure that fits well with all this talking and possibly extended battles. I don't think it's a good idea, myself. But, uh, I ain't smart or anything, so if you think it's a good idea..."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I am willing to go with group consensus," Raven Six says, placidly. "But I did feel I should make the offer. As you yourselves have said, Blackjack is legendary, and we did agree he needs to be seen separate from Vencarlo Orsini."


.

I'd push but I don't know what the plan is. Donnell? Sevenspawn? Yo uguys there?


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"I think it's a fair idea," Sevenspawn intones, "For the reasons Raven Six expresses." He looks to Donnell.

"Make the call, Fox. We will follow."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Sorry, I've been busy, but I was also waiting to hear from Sevenspawn. Also ... um... I don't want Donnell to keep bullying people around, but I'm really not sure I understand Raven's plan.

Donnell proposed four ideas, and suggested the first as his preferred. Raven suggested some variant of the fourth, but I'm not sure what the others would like to do. Anyway, under the circumstances, and in order to push forward, I think Donnell would say something like this:

Looking down at his extended fingers, then back up to Raven Six, Donnell cocks an eyebrow before replying: "Riiight. Well, I agree it might be a good idea to separate the idea of Blackjack from Vencarlo, but I agree with Thod that we shouldn't try to do that in front of Pilts."

Lowering his arm to his side: "Hmmm... I think the best way to accomplish your goal, Raven, might involve a bit more risk on your part, and will mean temporarily dividing the group. Disguise yourself as Blackjack, and have those four toughs at the intersection we passed see you, recognize you, possibly even chase you - you might even say something like 'Tell Pilts, I'm coming for him.' The trick, however, will be that you have to get away without killing them so that they can spread word of Blackjack while we regroup back at Eel's End. I'm not wild about you doing this on your own, but I could mix up an extract of Expeditious Retreat and/or Invisibility for you, and maybe some smoke pellets."

Raven, let me know if that's what you'd like to do and, if so, how best Donnell can equip you (take a look at his character sheet - there are several alchemical goodies that might be useful) - alternatively, Donnell can stay with you to provide backup support, but I think you stand a better chance of getting away alone with Expeditious Retreat. We can meet up with you here at Scream's house, or back at Eel's End. Spiderbeard, if you decide to push us straight through to Eel's End, then Donnell will take up a scouting position, as usual.

Oh!

With a mischievous glint in his eye, Donnell looks at the others: "Now, before we go, does anyone else want to poke around in the sinkhole and see what comes out?!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six blinks at Donnell's suggestion. Then she pulls a black flask from her belt, salutes the rest of the group, and tips it back in one gulp.

Before your eyes, the Alchemist transforms -- or rather, mutates. Her body's outline grows taller, stronger. Her hair turns bright red and curly. Her dark eyes blaze bright blue. And then she grins, even as she sheds an outer layer of clothing, revealing Blackjack's dark attire, and slips on the mask that comes with it.

"Sounds like a hoot and a half," 'Blackjack' says. "But who's to say I'll be the one runnin', eh? See you at Eel's End, lads. It's showtime!"

An extract of Expeditious retreat and one of Invisibility would be grand. Ready!


.

Waiting for Raven Six to confirm since she's central to this plan and we'll push.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell hands over the extracts and two smoke bombs (just in case): "Be safe out there!"


.

Whoops, ninja'd. Okay let's do it! SPLITTING THE PARTY

======================
Raven Six
======================

Eagerly, you get down to the basics, and then finally slip on the mask. You find and look at yourself in the mirror. Although the tattoos give your identity away a bit, nothing that a quick mutagen can't fix. And besides, you look quite the dashing hero.

As you bid your companions farewell, you slink into the alleys to locate Pilts' toughs. You're up against the docks right now but swooping through the shadows you head into the alleys to locate the toughs you saw earlier. It's not difficult - they remain staked out at the same street corner. With you knowing where they are well in advance, you can get an eye on them without having to put yourself at risk of being spotted - yet.

==============
Thod, Donnell, and Sevenspawn
==============

Once Raven Six has run off to become the dashing vigilante nobody quite expected her to be, you make your way towards Eel's End. It is only a short distance from here - a ten minute walk from most. Unfortunately the docks are a very exposed area. After five minutes of trying to keep a low profile, you spot a similar group of three of Pilts' toughs walking directly towards you and shouting at one another. It's pretty clear you're going to run into each other.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Safe? Me?" 'Blackjack' repeats.

Then she leaps for the doorway, casts a coy glance over her shoulder and just laughs as she dashes out into the night.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

With the power of Blackjack's gloves bolstering her, Raven Six-a clambers up the side of a building. Ghosting across the roof, she draws her (well, Blackjack's) mithral blade, strikes a decidedly theatric figure against the backdrop of the night sky, and addresses Pilts' toughs thusly, voice pitched low to resemble the famous vigilante's:

"Well, well, well. Who do we have here? Nice night to be out and about in Old Korvosa, isn't it, lads? Giving your weapons an airing, I see. Hard at work helping to keep the neighbourhood safe, now we've had a breakdown of civil authority, are we?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod rolls his eyes as Raven/Blackjack dashes away with a laugh.

"Get used to her being weird in one way, and she finds a new way to be weird..."

=====

Thod takes the lead, standing in front as the toughs approaches. He holds his halberd at the ready, and gives a good old fashioned dwarven stare.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

This fails completely when he trips and stumbles forward, fumbling his halberd and nearly losing his grip on it. A comical routine proceeds as Thod fights to keep his footing and his hands on his weapon, causing the javelins in his back holster to slip out and roll away, forcing Thod to chase after those as well.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

As Thod stumbles, Donnell steps smoothly in front of him, and raises a hand to the approaching group: "What are you folks doing down at this end of the docks? This is our area - y'all should be further east!"

Donnell tries to act like he belongs there...
Bluff: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 8 + (2) = 29


.

===============
Raven Six
===============

Blackjack's sudden appearance has the desired effect as the thugs all panick and start muttering to each other. They raise their weapons - albeit a little shakily. "B... whuh? Nobody's seen Blackjack since t'execution. We.. we's got orders! You gotta see the Emperor! Any newcomers in town gotta see him."

Another calls out as Blackjack's cape whips majestically in the wind. "We don' know nothing 'bout no civil authority. We're just keepin' t'Emperor's order!"

===================
The Rest of the Gang
===================

The thugs start to burst out laughing as Thod drops his weapons, but nonetheless it's clear someone VERY heavily armed is on the streets. They stop as Donnell shouts out that their patrol is in the wrong area.

"Wa.. whuh..." they turn and start talking to each other. "This here's our area! We're just coming on duty! Clear off!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"That's right. Nobody sees Blackjack -- until Blackjack wishes to be seen," Raven Six says.

A moment of silence falls like a knife.

"I am the conscience of Korvosa. I am its justice, sprung forth from the shadows. Who knows what wickedness lurks in the dark? Blackjack does. Who wields the scalpel that cuts out the city's disease?"

The vigilante's rapier points at the three thugs.

"Blackjack does. Ask yourselves whether you are still part of the city, or part of its sickness and leave this place. As for Pilts, I shall be granting him an audience very soon. He should leave a candle on."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell turns and gives Sevenspawn a shove (and a wink): "Numbskull! I told you our shift was over. C'mon, let's go get a drink."

Grabbing Thod by the belt, Donnell will lead the (presumably bewildered) dwarf past the patrol and on to Eel's End.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod finishes gathering his weapons, and while not instantly able to catch Donnell's deception, he trusts his comrade enough to play along. Or is just confused enough to follow through with a single 'um.' Which probably fits, anyways.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn blinks a second before shrugging, putting his holy symbol away before the man get too close.

"'Ow's I s'posed to tell? E'erything's black-black, no sun t' light the time."

Glowering at the men like he hates his job, he trudges after the other two.


.

===========
Blackjack!
===========

The thugs look at each other, too stunned and confused to really know how to respond to you. Finally one just decides to start hollering. "BACKUP! WE NEED BACKUP! IT'S BLACKJACK!"

=============
The Rest of Y'all
=============

The ruse works and you manage to get past the thugs and continue down the dock towards Eel's End. The pier is in a quite different state. What was once a business hub of sin with several vessels moored at the dock is now abandoned save for one ship - Eel's End itself. Sevenspawn spies two familiar people standing guard on the outside and the pier itself shows bloodstains and other signs of violence. But it appears the Dead Kings are still in one piece.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Aye," Blackjack says as she casually tosses a bomb into the thugs' midst. "Now you've made this choice, you're going to need all the help you can get."

Ranged touch 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 for 3d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 2, 2) + 4 = 14 fire, splash 7.

As the blast goes off, Blackjack uses the moment of confusion (hopefully) to disappear into the night.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn takes the lead position now, making hand signals to the pair guarding the entrance. As his hands work, he speaks easily in the clipped tongue of Thieves' Cant.

"Well-met. I seek the Broken Crown or Right Hand; another of our company will join us here shortly. May we board?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

As they approach the ship, Donnell keeps an eye out for potential dangers, or evidence that Eel's End is under surveillance:

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 13 + (1) = 24


.

============
Blackjack!
============

It works a treat as you lob your bomb into the middle of the goons who scream as it goes off, badly injuring them all. With a flash of your cape, you use the distraction to run off. Which is good because you can hear shouts of other patrols rushing towards your last location.

===========
The Dead Kings
===========

Donnell watches out and immediately sees a couple of figures on the opposite side of the street watching the pier. You are very clearly being watched.

"'Course you can," one of them says, moving forward to clasp hands. "Dark times these, those feckin' hoodlums have us up against a wall here - they could wipe us out but don't want to lose the men. We'll call it a ceasefire."

---

You're welcomed into the boat you liberated from its insane proprietor and receive a grim welcoming. Although the Dead Kings have never been a large gang, there are a few faces missing and it's clear times have been hard. The old throne Devargo had set up is now gone, replaced by a simple table. Ysania looks at you all wryly.

"N'here I thought we were f~%$ed. Welcome home Sevenspawn."

You settle in to start talking. The plague followed by the quarantine put Old Korvosa into a state of sheer panic where the Dead Kings tried to keep some semblance of order. Pilts' gang had been open rivals in competition with the same territory. Unfortunately with a new leader and reduced members, the Dead Kings were just completely overwhelmed by Pilts' mob. Only eleven Dead Kings remain, and right now the goal is survival while they figure out a way to take down Pilts before their supplies run out.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell immediately begin pacing in front of Ysania's table, his twitching hands kept busy as he cleans, fills, and lights a pipe: "We are sorry for your loss - sorry we couldn't be here to help."

As Donnell's blend of scavenged tobacco fills the room with a foul smoke, he begins blurting out questions as the occur to him: "Pilts, then, keeps watch? ... the two thugs across the street - watching for weakness? Have you heard word of Vencarlo? His academy is empty and in ruins - what of the swordmaster and his students? Gone to the games, or perhaps executed? We'd heard he had an argument with that artist, Salavator Scream, but he's also missing - any word? And where is Blackjack? Why are the 'Kings alone in their fight for the downtrodden - where are our supporters? Where are the Arkonas? Is everyone in hiding, or have they gone to Pilts?"

Stopping cold: "Damn! You won't have heard..." Donnell relates the tale of the attack on the Queen, and the revelation that she is more, and worse, than she seems.

Tapping his pipe on the table, Donnell laments: "This problem of gangs in Old K is like fighting a hydra - more problems appear whenever we squelch one, and it's slowing us down. We need to end this and have people running the island who aren't going to make life miserable for everybody."

Finally sitting, dejectedly: "Bah - I'm getting ahead of myself again. Do you have any information about Pilts's palace? How do we get in, where are the prisoners, who are the prisoners?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

'Blackjack' makes her way towards the agreed-upon rendez-vous by means of alleys and rooftops. As she approaches the place, she takes a moment to hide what might be called the defining traits of Blackjack and becomes, simply, a red-haired, blue-eyed woman in dark clothing.
Whistling a jaunty tune, she advances...


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn scratches his head as Donnell asks what seems like a dozen questions at once, but he doesn't interrupt. Instead, he fishes out a handful of coins from his few thousand gold pieces, pockets them and pushes the bag across the table to Ysania during this time. His hand makes a simple symbol in their secret language as he waits for her to answer Fox: TRIBUTE.

Gold removed from my sheet.


.

Ysania settles in to a table with all of you. A gin bottle is put out and she pours a tall glass. As Sevenspawn passes the significant amount of money over her eyes go wide but she accepts it anyways, signing back -LOYALTY- which is typically used in thieves' cant to signify respect, camaraderie, and maybe "I owe you one".

While doing so she listens to Donnell's tale, letting out a long low whistle. "Queen's gotta go then. Only way to it. Gotta deal with our immediate problems first I figure. We aren't best for information right now considering we've been trapped in here for over a week. Old Town crawls with his subjects all within a shout of each other. Most of them were empties or pinchers afore coming on and they're all living the good life now. The ones watching us are just lookouts in case we try and escape so theys can round up t'others and overwhelm us."

She takes a long swig of gin before continuing. "Arkonas f~@&ed us. Locked themselves up and abandoned Old Korvosa - bet they have supplies for the whole damn island. Ain't heard naught of Orisini, shame about his academy though. Always showed us respect and knew what we was about. Blackjack ain't been seen since Sabor got rescued, thank God he was there to fix that pig's ear."

She spits to the side, likely in tribute to the passing of the last Broken Crown.

"As for Scream and Pilts... well now. Pilts ran a theatre with some awful shows before, appealing to folks' base instincts. Scream's art is a little better than that, grotesque in a smart way I s'pose. If you're asking about both, it'd make sense Scream is with Pilts. Maybe making art at knifepoint. As for getting in with Pilts..."

She shrugs. "Simplest way is to just walk up to the place. Any newcomers are taken right to him. Easiest way to talk to him. Problem is he's a madman with a guillotine. I heard tell of something called blood pig but can't get details about what that's about. As for prisoners - he don't keep prisoners, he keeps that tall knife. If you want to break in, his palace is a bunch of converted tenements hanging over a big flat roof he uses as a stage. Nearby rooftops for seating. He's got men there but... maybe not too many? We've considered an assault but we're watched too closely to get out of Eel's End without half of the Old Town coming down on us."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Have I arrived yet?


.

Annnnd now.

============
Raven Six
============

As you make your way through the alleys you see folks racing towards the last scene of Blackjack. This allows you to waltz up to the front of Eel's End. The guards already know you and let you in - you arrive just at the tail end of Ysania's speech where you're welcomed to the table.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Got a feeling he'll be a bit on edge," Raven Six-a says as she sits at the table. "Hey, Ysania. How's the fancy hat? Anyhoo, one'a Pilts' patrols got hit by Blackjack! Heard on the way in that he said he'll be givin' the emperor "an audience" soon, and he should leave a light on. What a character, huh? Made me laugh... Any chance of some grub and ale? I had ta run from patrols, I'm hungry."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn watches Raven-Six, and rather than shake his head for what seems like the hundreth time, he speaks to her.

"Never un'nerstand 'ow to take you, like," he says in an easy tone, no challenge in his voice. "Seems a mug's game, that. I'll jes' be 'appy I'm not the only street-jack with two voices t' speak in."

Holding his smile slightly, he looks to the rest. "Broken Crown says front door. I'm f'r that. Sneak-about is fine, mebbe f'r one of us at most, but I'm in chain an' shield, an' 'Clanks' 'ere - " - he motions to Thod - " - well, 'e's build for door-kickin', e'en if 'e could sneak-about."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell shrugs: "Sure - why the hell not? Sounds like a visit to the Arkonas' wouldn't be amiss either. What do you say, Thod? Vil du drepe en annen forbrytelse herre?"

Dwarven:
Want to go kill another crime lord?

Returning his focus to the Crown: "When you say 'not too many men' - do you mean 5-10, or 20-30? And, especially if it's the latter, do you have five or so folks who might want to accompany us?"

btw, Raven, did you use either of those extracts?


.

Ysania turns and looks at Raven Six. "We've got around a dozen me--- What? What of Blackjack?" Glancing back over to Donnell she continues. "I can loan some people but recognize that we leave this ship, we've got a small army coming down on us. Need a way off and the more people you take, harder it is to get out of here without being seen."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Donnell: Nope, so you can have them both back. ^_^

Raven Six-a winks at Sevenspawn. "Better life through alchemy, me ole cully. It makes life so interestin'!"

"Darndest thing!" she says when Ysania asks about Blackjack. "Way I heard it, the fella just talked to a bunch of Pilts' thugs, tells 'em ta consider whether they're part o' the city or part o' the disease. They start hollerin' fer more thugs and - FLASH! BANG! - there's a bunch'a injured thugs, but where is Blackjack? Now tha's what I call showmanship. Ain't lost his touch, that one. Were I Pilts, I'd be sweatin' when the news comes ta 'im."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Raven Six wrote:
"... One'a Pilts' patrols got hit by Blackjack! Heard on the way in that he said he'll be givin' the emperor "an audience" soon, and he should leave a light on. What a character, huh?"
Sevenspawn wrote:
"Never un'nerstand 'ow to take you, like. Seems a mug's game, that. I'll jes' be 'appy I'm not the only street-jack with two voices t' speak in."

Thod cocks his eyebrow at the dialect being used by both, though mostly at Raven Six, before rubbing his temples and shaking his head.

Donnell wrote:
"What do you say, Thod? Vil du drepe en annen forbrytelse herre?"

"Må du spørre?"

Dwarven:
"You have to ask?"

"Wow, that sounds like a bit of a pickle. Not sure we should be taking anybody, Donnell, the group has a hard enough time as is. Let's clean up the city our way. As for stealth, well, we certainly can't all go, but being able to survey is still a good idea. Still, seems like every road is leading to this Pilts jackass. I'm also really curious about this blood pig test thing. And ready to bust some heads. So far I've seen nothing but street toughs. And even if he's got some other help, unless we're meeting in a castle dungeon, how's he gonna keep us from running if we decide to?"


.

Ysania stares at Raven Six for a momenet before jerking a thumb over to the woman. "She a'ight? If Blackjack is hoarrwin' t'bastards it's as good a time as any fer strike. So yer thinking we just kick down the door and rain hell on 'em or go fer audience?"

Short version. Do you want to just kick in the door and take them out, or do you want to get an audience with Pilts? If you want to do the former, you'll need a way out of Eel's End without bringing a mob down on you.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

My vote is to meet him up front, see what his deal is. To be fancy, what I'd like to have is somebody disguised as Raven travel with us, while Raven hides as Blackjack if we need a distraction. But not sure how to discuss this openly without revealing Raven's cover, unless we want the Dead Kings in on the secret.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"No - I don't like the idea of leaving Eel's End undefended. Ysania, are you able to hold out here (assuming they don't try to torch the place)? I was just thinking it might be nice to have some backup if Pilts has, for example, 50 thugs at his stronghold..."

"Let's head over to those lads watching Eel's End and have them take us to Pilts for an interview. If we can bring all (both) of them with us, that might give Ysania a chance to get a few people out, if need be. I can follow along stealthily, but I'd prefer not to split us up just now and Invisibility only lasts eight minutes."

"So... um, I guess I'm saying we let them take us inside and then we make a mess from there? This sounds like a terrible idea..."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Ah - Thod's post got in there first. Ok, Thod could propose that in Dwarven to Donnell (I doubt any of the others speak it). Donnell will add that to his plan of someone following the group by stealth, but that someone will be Raven instead of him.

Raven can hang onto the Invisibility and Expeditious Retreat extracts for now, as they might be useful to catch up to the rest of us.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

The reason I want a Raven body double is that while we're not famous, we do have some notoriety. Raven is a known part of our group. Want to make sure her absence isn't acknowledged. Not necessarily linking her to Blackjack, but certainly making more cautious members of Pilt's gang suspect something. And thus letting an emergence by Blackjack really throw them off if we need to make a quick escape.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

I speak Dwarven, so that could work out nicely. ^_^ And I'm game!


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

@Thod: oh yeah, that's what I figured. And the spies outside would have noticed four new people entering Eel's End, so it makes sense we show them four people leaving. I had originally suggested Donnell follow with Stealth simply because he's good at it :)


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

One reason I mention this in ooc is that I'd like to mention it, but Thod isn't the sort to consider such things, both due to intelligence and a lack of subterfuge. So consider it something that Donnel probably suggested, or built upon because of something Thod said.

The group talks quietly in a huddle in Dwarven. (Apologies if this leaves you out, Sevenspawn.) Thod looks up to Ysania.

"Say... We may need to borrow one of the gang. Got somebody who could pass for Raven, there? Slender, delicate features? Can talk with that sort of dull arrogance of a scholar and use a lot of big words? Donnel and Raven are good at disguise, so we can cover the finer points. Just need a body double, here."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn catches up quickly enough, coming to what they have gotten at.

"Ah-ya." He nods to Ysania. "It's good, like. Wha' 'bout..." He looks about the room, disappointed that Irfrusk is not about, and what that likely means.

"Y'found a Right Hand yet?" He points to her. "'Cause you might do, boss."

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,774 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.