GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,814 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Giving the man a half-smile, Donnell agrees: "Ah, good plan, Amin. You just make sure you stay well-hidden if anyone (other than Vencarlo and ourselves) shows up. And... try to air the place out a bit, yeah? The fumes might make you light-headed - and they might be a bit, er, flammable."

Turning to the others: "Right, well, I suppose we'd best stick to Garrison Hill as much as possible - unless you think the Kings still hold some sway in Bridgefront, Phaedran? Either way, I suggest we head more-or-less straight to Salvator's. Let's try to avoid any groups but, um... looking doubtfully at Thod and Sevenspawn "I'm not sure we can manage to move stealthily the whole way..."

If we go with this or a similar plan, Donnell will scout ahead of the main party to make sure we avoid gangs or other groups:
Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Sounds good to me. Yeah, I don't see myself being sneaky. Better to just keep 'em away from us in the first place."

Thod holds his halberd one handed, soldier style, and starts marching towards their destination, keeping a hard glare on his face.

Specifically, aiming to do a sort of general Intimidate check while we walk to ward off trouble. Bonus is +11, as I don't want to roll if it doesn't come into play.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I do not expect the thugs capitalizing on the breakdown of civil authority to be better than vermin. Vermin scatters at loud noises and flashes of light. Especially if those are accompanied by the rending of their flesh," Raven Six says, bouncing a bomb on the palm of her hand.


.

GM Rolls:

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

You strike out into the Old Dock, making your way through roads you know very well towards Salvator's Studio. You hear the distant cries of people and what weirdly sounds like the distant squealing of a pig. weirdly, despite the cramped quarantined island, it's extremely quiet here. People seem to be either all gathering together, or locked up in their homes.

Donnell keeps a good distance ahead of the party, and this proves a useful strategy. At a major intersection up ahead are four toughs with large axes, wearing filthy red tabards with yellow-painted crowns on them. They are clearly keeping a lookout.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Does Donnell recognize the 'uniform' as belonging to the descriptions he's heard of 'Emperor' Pilts or some other gang?
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 10 + (1) = 30

Donnell will report back to the group: "It shouldn't be too difficult to find a way around them by cutting through a couple of alleys. We could, of course, confront them..."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Why not start here? This riffraff will need clearing up eventually. The people of Old Korvosa are relying on us," Raven Six growls, a rare glow of anger in her eyes.


.

Yeah it's pretty clearly Pilts' gang.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Ehhh, much as I'd like to clear the streets of trash, probably best we keep a low profile for now until we make our move. Like my grandmother said: 'Thjodrorir, stop putting rocks in your sister's food!' Oh, wait, wrong thing. I mean, she did say that, and it was about avoiding fights, but, I mean...."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn glances at Raven Six.

"Perhaps Blackjack could make an appearance." He gives her a wry smile and turns it on the others for them to see. "The people need the hope he offers, and it could turn any suspicion away from..." He lets his words trail, not saying Vencarlo's name. "If Raven Six were to cause a distraction, the rest of us could find another way."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell raises a finger and inhales to speak after Raven Six's statement, but splutters to a halt when Thod chimes in: "Wha - what?! *huhaha* Y - you were told to avoid fights? *hihihi* You?!"
Stuffing a tiny fist in his mouth, Donnell leans against a wall and wheezes with silent laughter.

With tears in his eyes, Donnell, recovering: "Oh, saints preserve us. I think we can easily slip around them without the need for a distraction - they're just at the main intersection. Let's just take some side-streets and alleys."

Rolling a Knowledge Local to see if Donnell can think of a slightly more circuitous route:

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 10 + (5) = 20

If he can't think of a better way past, then a distraction might be the better way to go


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Donnell "The Fox" wrote:

Donnell raises a finger and inhales to speak after Raven Six's statement, but splutters to a halt when Thod chimes in: "Wha - what?! *huhaha* Y - you were told to avoid fights? *hihihi* You?!"

Stuffing a tiny fist in his mouth, Donnell leans against a wall and wheezes with silent laughter.

Thod raises an eyebrow in confusion.

"Uhh, yeah? I was told to avoid fights all the time. Stop fighting with my sisters, stop fighting with the foreman... It's why I was sent out here, I'd run off and fight instead of holding the line when I was a guardsman."

Thod continues to look at Donnell, uncomprehending why that was funny.

"Either way, I'm with Donnell, let's just go around 'em and not put rocks in their food."


.

Wth how did I not post yesterday.

Donnell knows this part of the city like the back of his hand, and thanks to his scouting ahead, the group manages to avoid the group of Pilts' thugs. Sticking to alleyways, you make your way to Salvator's Studio. As you move, you see more and more roving gangs of Pilts' men and you get a distinct sense of a district under its own weird form of police lockdown.

Salvator’s home is a leaning, decrepit building located along the Narrows, not far from one of the many now-ruined bridges that once connected Old Korvosa to the mainland. The house is up against a dilapidated dock with a boardwalk surrounding the house.

Map is updated.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Is this a typical domicile for artists? I have no experience of the profession."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Grimacing: "I think you'll find there's nothing 'typical' about Salvator Scream..."

Checking the tension on his crossbow, Donnell mutters: "Right, I'll just look in through a window, shall I?"

Donnell will carefully walk to the north side of the house and peer in through a window. If he can't really see anything, he'll continue along to the east side of the house, checking windows, and then the dock to the south.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 13 + (2) = 34


.

Donnell peeks into the windows around the north end of the house. One looks into a front room which is covered in muddy footprints. The second is a bedroom, which is also full of muddy footprints and shows signs of a struggle.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell will return to the corner of the house and use gestures and sign-language to communicate that the two north rooms are empty, and he intends to continue his search to the south-east corner of the house.

Is this boardwalk raised? Could someone/something to hide underneath? If not, then Donnell will suggest the group give him a 2-minute head-start, and then they should enter the house.

Donnell will look in through the south-east window, then move to the south of the house to inspect the boardwalk and dock. Can Donnell climb onto it from the south, or will he have to walk back around to the other side?


.

The boardwalk is raised and someone could hide under it. However notably, it looks like the house to the west has collapsed into a sinkhole, taking the boardwalk with it. Water from the Narrows fills the hole, creating a muddy pit strewn with timber and flotsam.

Donnell successfully circles Salvator's house, peering in the remaining windows. One window is completely overgrown with what looks like brightly-coloured fungus.

The other window is tightly shuttered.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Clambering up onto the dock, Donnell will move to the corner of the building and quietly signal to the others (with a wave, light finger-snapping, low whistle?). He will indicate to the others that he was unable to see into the rest of the house, and that they should come with him to the south door.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Raven Six wrote:
"Is this a typical domicile for artists? I have no experience of the profession."

"Well, you're weird enough to get away with pretending to be one."

Thod holds tight and waits for Donnell's reconnaissance. He listens intently, though, ready to charge into action at the slightest sound of trouble.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"If you say so. But I have never tried my hand at art. Perhaps it is an avenue I should consider sometime."


.

Sevenspawn hasn't been able to get a post in so he'll have a lot of reading to do but I'm happy to just keep pushing for now.

You all make your way to the south door, giving the west sinkhole a wide berth. Trying the knob, the door appears to be unlocked.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Catching Raven Six's eye and nodding toward the sinkhole with a grin: "Might be another otyugh in there, if we're lucky."

Donnell will inspect the door for traps: Perception: 1d20 + 17 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 17 + (2) = 35

"Thod, can you open the door for us?"

Donnell will take a step behind Thod and aim his crossbow through the door.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

I'm here! Merely being quiet.

Sevenspawn remains at the ready, watching their backs from the rear.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


.

With the door open, Thod counts to three, flings the door open, and the group charge in, ready for a fight. The interior is a little surprising.

Both of this room’s windows are tightly shuttered, yet the air inside seems strangely fresh and scented, no doubt because of the six large candles that burn within. Each candle has been affixed by a glob of melted wax to the crown of a gleaming, polished skull, and each of these impromptu and grisly candleholders has been placed atop an otherwise clear desk to the west, arrayed in a gentle arc. A chair sits before the desk, and a careful stack of papers and scrolls sits inside the arc of skulls. To the south stands a nearly empty cabinet, its shelves barren save for a few paintbrushes and a cracked pottery urn.

The desk chair has been pulled into the centre of the room, and an elven woman sits on it, facing the door. She is clad in black-spiked chain mail and bears a wicked-looking long spiked chain.

"So, heroes. It has come to this," she says ominously. There's a moment of silence before she bursts into laughter and springs to her feet.

"I'm kidding, oh Gods you should have seen your faces! Hi, hi - I'm Laori Vaus! Are you guys looking for Salvator too?! I could reaaallly use a little bit of help on this one. Things got complicated on this island real fast. But where are my manners - hi I'm La.. wait I said that." She extends a hand and looks at in in some confusion. "Right, introductions. And you are?"

Knowledge Religion DC 20:

Her choice of weapon and armour likely mark her as a follower of Zon-Kuthon. Zon-Kuthon is the Prince of Pain, the God of pain and envy. His worship is largely concentrated in the shadowy country of Nidal to the south.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod simply stares, rather dumbstruck. He leans back a bit, unsure what to make of this very... interesting woman.

"Uhh... Hi. I'm, uh... Thod?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Having nearly shot the woman, Donnell's eyes narrow in suspicion: "Fox. What is your business with Salvator? And... um..." lowering his crossbow somewhat as he looks around the room "Did you do this, or is this some art project??"

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 7 + (6) = 21

Returning his attention to the elf: "What does the Prince of Pain want with the artist?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (15) + 7 + (5) = 27


.

She squeals in delight as you mention her God. "Oh good you know of the Midnight Lord. Now I get that you may be all..." she gestures vaguely at Sevenspawn's holy symbol. "Goodly and all that buuuut don't worry. I'm here on a fact-finding mission, no sadism involved except the recreational sort. I'm looking for Salvator because his art seems to have... divine influence. There's themes from Zon-Kuthon within his artwork despite the fact he doesn't share or seem to care much about the fate himself - fascinating, right??"

She waves her hand around the skulls and candles. "I was just hanging out with my dark lord and trying to figure out what to do next - and here you are! So how about you tell me what -you- want with Salvator, and provided you're not here to kill him for a debt or something, maybe we can team up and find the rascly fella. Pretty sure I know where he is and who took him."

From what Donnell can suss, everything she's saying seems to be true and importantly, she doesn't seem to bear the party ill-will and is happy to chat peacefully.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Still looking dubious, Donnell finally lowers his weapon: "We're actually looking for someone else, but Scream was the last person to see him, so we came to ask some questions."

Frowning and pointing to the northeast room: "Looked to me like a struggle - perhaps Pilts's men have him? I'm not sure how we'll locate him, if that's the case - does your dark lord grant you the ability to scry?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Query," Raven Six says, her hand still firmly on the hilt of Blackjack's mithral rapier and her eyes staring unblinkingly at the Kuthite Elf. "Wherefrom come these skulls?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn listens.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Raven Six wrote:
"Query," Raven Six says, her hand still firmly on the hilt of Blackjack's mithral rapier and her eyes staring unblinkingly at the Kuthite Elf. "Wherefrom come these skulls?"

"Oh, almost certainly from willing participants," Sevenspawn answers dryly, standing beside her and staring down at the elf. He seems like he might speak sarcastically further, but shakes his head slightly a moment "Your deity is in conflict of values with mine, if only because mine has them and yours does not. I've no interest in any alliance here."

The priest spits on the floor and looks to Fox.


.

Laori sighs dramatically. "I don't know they're just skulls. They come with the territory. I see a skull, I grab it, and then I have it for later. I mean sure I've piled up a few bodies in my time but who among us - WHO AMONG US... well just look at this cutie Thod here. He's a walking arsenal! Who ants to compare body counts? Bet it'll be close. Anyways, converting a body into a spooky skull is a more work than its worth."

She then points at Sevenspawn. "You are JUST like the Kuthite clergy I work with - well I mean entirely different - but you're so stubborn. I don't see why we can't just compromise and team up. Promise I won't kill any babies. Find Scream, we both get what we need from him - all I want to do is chat with him about his inspirations, and we go our merry ways. You can go on an defeat some tyrants and I can continue my research and everyone is happy." She claps her hands.

"NOW. I have something youuu may want, because I doubt you care about his art, so what would you want to talk with this artist about? I think... I think you're looking for some politician and your lead is Salvatore. Why do I know that? I found something, and I bet you want it. Help a girl out, and I'll share."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Query: what is the nature of the aid you are requesting and the quote unquote research you are conducting?" Raven Six asks.


Female Homunculus Init +2; darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +3; AC 14 (touch 14, flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 size)); hp 11; Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1

"And did you know your ears are all weird and pointy?" the homunculus asks from her perch - on top of Thod's helmet.

"Well, they are," she says, defensively, if anyone gives her any odd looks. "I can see them, see?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn remains silent, eyes on the elf. He has said what he needs to say and waits to see how this now develops.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Quote:
"...well just look at this cutie Thod here"

Thod's face twists in odd directions at the compliment. Not wholly offended (Just partially), and also confused and thrown off. He even touches his own face, confused at how anybody would call a dwarf 'cute.'

Quote:
"And did you know your ears are all weird and pointy?" the homunculus asks from her perch - on top of Thod's helmet.

"HEY! You're one to talk, you little naked creep! I'm not your damn pony, either! Put some clothes on if you're going to be too lazy to move on your own power!"

Thod, with annoyance, pushes/brushes off R6-a (Or Raven Jr. as he calls her if he needs to be more formal than "little nude weirdo.")

Turning back to the group. "Well, I don't know what this Midnight Lord stuff is, but I see you're no fan of him, Sevenspawn. Still, we need information, and we could use all the help we can get. And if she tries anything funny, she'll get a halberd blade through that smilin' face of hers faster than she could get out an evil laugh."


.

She lets out a squee of delight as she spies the homunculus but calms herself down.

"Alright so here's the deal. You're right that some folks have been here - boots everywhere, Salvatore missing - it's a real mess. Doesn't take much to conclude he's been kidnapped by Pilts who is the only game in town at this point. That weirdo with the guillotine and the pig. I want to get an audience with Salvator buuuut I don't really trust the braying mob lead by the lunatic. If I've got some friends, we team up and Pilts takes us seriously - or if they all attack us we've got a better chance of surviving."

She raises a finger. "And frankly, keep in mind I'm not in a position to trust you lot either. I don't even know you! But I see a Milani symbol and so I'm sure that you're going to overthrow the Queen or whatever. Not my problem. Anyways, we get an audience with Salvator and my work is done. If you need to bust him out I'll even help with that or whatever."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell frowns (he frowns a lot): "Apologies, Sevenspawn, but we need information, and I don't think we can be too picky about where we get it - there's too much at stake. Keep your eyes on her: oi prodosíes den tha lifthoún evgeniká."

Elven:
betrayals will not be kindly received

Whether or not the others agree to exchange information with Laori, Donnell will want to search the house for clues - particularly the room where there were signs of a struggle:

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (15) + 13 + (2) = 30


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Ah - looks like Spiderbeard and I posted at the same time.
I'll add this, in that case:

"What was it that you found? And how do you anticipate approaching Pilts?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

The priest remains silent as Thod and Donnell offer their apologies, his body language stiff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six briefly puts her hand on Sevenspawn's shoulder and gives it a comforting squeeze.

"What is our next move?" is all she says out loud.


.

She spreads her hands to you. "I'm waiting on agreement. If you agree to work with me for this one -little- thing, I'll show you what I have and we can head over to Pilts'. Then I mean - I don't know your specialty. Walk in the front door and demand an audience, break in over the cover of night, call down a man-eating plague fog to murder them all... I'm all ears!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Without even turning to look at him, Donnell can feel the weight of Sevenspawn's glare as keenly as if his friend were standing on his chest. A low growl rises in the back of Donnell's throat and he raises a hand to his exasperated brow, quietly muttering: "Godsdammit. Godsdammed priests and their godsdammed bickering deities. We're only trying to save the whole godsforgotten city..."

Sighing deeply: "It sounds an awful lot like you need us more than we need you, so if he" jerking a thumb over his shoulder at Sevenspawn "isn't willing to work with you, and since you don't actually know anything about Salvator or where to find him, then we'll figure this out on our own, and you can bloody well wait here until we get back with Scream to show us whatever 'interesting' trinket you've found."

@GM: This conversation went on longer than planned, but don't forget the Perception 30, above, to investigate the house


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn's gaze breaks a moment when Raven Six touches his shoulder. He responds with the slightest tilting of his head in thanks before returning his gaze to the elf.

As Donnell speaks, he feels an inner sense of solidarity that is only shared and understood by those who come together for a cause. His eyes flick towards his back, and back to Laori.

He says nothing to her.


.

Laori lets out a loud dramatic sigh. "FINE." She starts sulkily scooping up the skulls into her bag. "You find Scream your way, I'll use mine. And here I thought you were a sending of Zon-Kuthon, and you're nowhere near as fun as something like that would be."

Once she's done packing she produces a bloody piece of cloth and waves it at Sevenspawn tauntingly. "Found this by the bed. Covered in bloood. Looks like it belonged to some important politician. But who? You'll never know."

THBPT she blows a raspberry and storms out the house through the north entrance opposite from you.

Donnell searches the joint once she's out. The front door looks to have been kicked in and there is mud everywhere - it looks like a small army has marched through the room to the bedroom and back out. Unfortunately nothing of interest remains, the same goes for the studio.

Finally there's the kitchen.

This room appears to have once been a combination kitchen and storeroom, but is now a bewildering riot of brightly colored fungus and mold. The stuff grows everywhere and in every color, over tables, across cupboards, and in swaths along the floor and walls, but it seems thickest to the southwest, where puffy sheets of yellow fungus cover several objects so completely it’s impossible to make out what lies beneath.

As the kitchen is unusual I'm holding off on your exploration until you tell me what you're doing with it.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 81/115 {11/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 14/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Uhh... Something tells me this is more than just a kitchen that hasn't been cleaned in a while. And some of that mould is looking a bit... dangerous."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six looks after the departing Elf … and casually spits on the floor.
"Good riddance," she says, the dismissal odd when expressed by her monotonous voice.

At the fungus-riddled kitchen, she shrugs. "I doubt there is anything of use to us here. Let us instead adjourn to Pilts' domicile and find Salvator Scream."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell takes a quick look at the cloth she waves about, but does not let an expression of recognition cross his face:

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 13 + (1) = 19

Donnell sneers at the elf's back, muttering: "I dunno what she thought we could do with a handkerchief, anyway..."

As the party looks into the kitchen, Donnell looks curiously at the fungus:

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 7 + (4) = 21

"We came here to look for Scream and, without him, some clues. I'm going to freeze this fungus (with Liquid Ice), and then looks at whatever is hidden underneath." Looking back at the others: "Feel free to step outside..."

Liquid Ice: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5


.

I'm going to push a bit to obvious solutions here.

Donnell stops short of the liquid ice - he recognizes very dangerous yellow mold when he sees it and knows enough that direct exposure to sunlight or fire will destroy it. Freezing it won't do a thing.

It's easy enough to yank open the closed shutters, and the patch of yellow mold withers under the sunlight allowing the room to be explored. A detect magic spell shows one item buried beneath some of the less hazardous mold, which when pulled out is a series of pigments that radiates strong magic. This is a powerful item, whatever it is.

That is all you find of value or interest in the house.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Thanks! I was hoping the Nature check would get me past that, but wanted to present a solution, just in case. Will a Spellcraft check identify the item? (otherwise, I'll just wait until I can use Identify again)
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 9 + (1) = 19
ugh, probably not with that roll...

"Ok. Next steps? I don't think a frontal assault on Pilts's 'empire' is going to work, so some options might be: 1) Go to Eel's End and see if the Kings have any suggestions or a way in; 2) Sneak in under cover of darkness; 3) Ask to join Pilts's Mob; 4) Seek Pilts out directly, which will likely mean playing 'blood pig' (whatever that is...)"

Looking down at his four extended fingers, Donnell contemplates: "Well, as a group, I'm not convinced we are particularly stealthy, or deceptive... Hmm. If we want to stick together, it might be best to head for Eel's End and, if we run afoul of the Mob, to request an audience."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"What if Blackjack were to request the audience?"

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,814 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.