GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


2,301 to 2,350 of 2,804 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Spluttering, even as his rapier nearly slips through to a vital organ: "Wha... What?! Folks, there's a godsdamned assassin up here! And not the wimpy Chelaxian kind."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn makes a swinging motion with his arm, indicating even as he begins to cast a spell that Thod take the lead. As the dwarf passes, he releases Bull's Strength on him with a slap on the shoulder before charging up the stairs after him.

**

Bull's Strength: The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, adding the usual benefits to melee attack rolls, melee damage rolls, and other uses of the Strength modifier.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"GAAAAH! I'M COMIN' LITTLE BUDDY!"

Thod thunders up the steps, stopping just short of the top as the assassin swings towards Donnell, but makes it clear that he's aware of Thod. Thod simply swings hard, even in the cramped quarters.

That is, can't advance more without provoking an AOO. I believe fighting around a corner counts as cover. If that's a solid wall, it's probably +4 to AC. If the GM rules it's a bannister, it's probably more like +2. Relevant Rule page. I will let the GM account for it.

Bonuses:
Rage: +6 Con, +4 Str, +2 Will, -2 AC.
Bull's Strength: +4 Str.
Total Attack: +17/+12, +13 dmg

Attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (11) + 17 = 28 Damage: 1d10 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

Rage: 19/22. (Going to say I used a few rounds during the riot this afternoon.


.

GM Rolls:

Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 Damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Sneak Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 8 + (1, 2) = 15

Sevenspawn and Thod both charge up the stairs, with the assassin missing another attack which Sevenspawn ably blocks. Thod's halberd absolutely skewers the figure, but it keeps on fighting!

Raven Six's mind seems to blank for a moment, her tattoos flickering and delaying her. As she comes to, a second assassin leaps out from behind her, attacking! Unfortunately, this one ALSO misses his attack!

Man, these super death assassins would sure be cool if they rolled above a five. Everyone is up


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six takes a 5-ft. step back from the assassin and up the stairs.
"Gentlemen, we have company down here as well!" she calls out without looking away from the Red Mantis... and then tosses him or her a vial of expanding, blue crystalline matter.
"Here. Catch."

Frost bomb, ranged touch attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 for 3d6 + 5 ⇒ (6, 2, 4) + 5 = 17 cold damage. (I've put myself outside the splash zone.) Fortitude save DC 18 or be staggered.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Grinding his teeth in fury, Donnell growls: "How many more of you are hiding here, eh?"

Rapier1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Damage1: 1d4 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + (2, 6) + 3 = 14

Rapier2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Damage2: 1d4 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + (1, 2) + 3 = 10

Crit threat: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage2: 1d4 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + (5, 6) + 3 = 18

I think I love this rapier


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

So, one way or another, I'm going to be swinging my halberd at somebody, so here's the attack roll.

Attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36 Damage: 1d10 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

IF: Upstairs assassin was killed by Donnell, Thod will Move down the stairs and use the above Attack on the downstairs assassin.

IF: Upstairs assassin is down, but not out, Thod will Attack with the above attack roll. If that kills him, Thod will then Move downstairs. If he still stands after the one attack, Thod will attack again as a Full-Round action.

If Upstairs Assassin still lives, open Spoiler:
Attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31 Damage: 1d10 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20

Rage: 18/22


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

What Thod said. I'll make two attacks, the second with Interactive, but on who depends on who's still alive.

Attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Interactive Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


.

GM Rolls:

Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Despite taking several vicious blows, incredibly, the assassin at the top of the stairs manages to keep on fighting. That is until Thod swings out with his halberd once more, and stabbing into... nothing.

The assassin's gear collapses, and a red mist hangs in the air where the assassin once stood.

In the basement, Raven Six produces a bomb and wings it at her opponent, hitting them square in the face, however the assassin on the bottom level is not slowed, and response by generating a red mist, identical to the one upstairs.

Round Two:

Sevenspawn
Donnell
Thod
---
Assassin (-17)
---
Raven Six

Everyone is up! The upstairs assassin has turned into a red mist, leaving their gear - so one left engaged with Raven Six.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

"...the hell?"

Donnell will take a beat to try to figure out what just happened and if there's something that can be done about it.

Is this gaseous form? Can he still be affected by magical weapons, or AoEs, like alchemists' fire?

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 8 + (5) = 29

I'm not sure if this takes up an action or not; if not then D will attack appropriately (or, if he doesn't know anything, he'll just swipe at it again with his rapier).

"Go help Raven6 - I'll see if anything can be done here."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"RAAAUGH"

Move down the stairs, and attack. Power attacking, this time.

Attack: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20 Damage: 1d10 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28

Rage: 17/22
Current buffs: Rage, Power Attack, Bull's Strength


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Die, please," Raven Six says as she stabs at the assassin.

Magical mithral rapier 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 for 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 damage.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Back down the stairs goes the priest, pulling out a wand on a big iron key ring he has them all tied to. He races behind Thod, casting a frantic but almost humorous shrug at Donnell over his shoulder.

I'd like to hold my action, as I don't believe I can attack from here. My trigger will be whether or not the assassin hits Raven Six or Thod and causes damage, whereupon the Wand of Cure Serious Wounds will be employed.


.

Donnell looks over the red mist quickly and he soon realizes this isn't a gaseous form. The assassin is dead, but their remains just... misted.

--

Thod charges down into the main floor, having a great time of this before stabbing this assassin successfully. Raven Six's attack is parried, however.

Looking around carefully, the assassin takes a step back and goes into a stance that can only be described as similar to a praying mantis. The assassin then starts to wave his blades back and forth in a mesmerizing pattern in front of Thod.

Thod's Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

This does NOT work and Thod is unimpressed.

Everyone is up and my assassins still suck!


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Intriguing. I wonder whether such an art might be easily learned," Raven Six says as she lunges again.

Magic mithral rapier 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 for 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 damage.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Spotting the traffic jam at the bottom of the stairs, he calls down: "You folks have that under control, right?"

Unless there's some shifting, Donnell can't really help much (and he doesn't have enough movement to get past anyway) - I suspect Thod will have this guy taken care of before Donnell can get an attack in.
So, instead, Donnell will inspect the upstairs room; in particular, making sure there isn't a third assassin hiding up here.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 13 + (1) = 31


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"FINE SO FAR!" Sevenspawn shouts up the stairs, touching Thod on the shoulder again after activating a power granted by The Everbloom.

**

Resistant Touch: Gain a +1 bonus to saves, with an additional +1 for every five levels (that's +2). Can grant this bonus to an ally for one minute 6 times a day.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

The assassin shows off elaborate swordplay, waving his weapons around. Thod responds with a grunt of annoyance and stabbing him with the business end of his halberd.

"You're supposed to STAB me with those things, not wave 'em around, idiot!"

Repeat action, still power attacking.
EDIT: Also, I'll take a five-foot step West into the room. Can't access my desktop, so if someone could move my token, putting me right underneath the assassin, that'd be grand.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20 Damage 1: 1d10 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
Attack 2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25 Damage 2: 1d10 + 22 ⇒ (10) + 22 = 32

Rage: 16/22
Current buffs: Rage, Power Attack, Bull's Strength, Resistant Touch (+2 all saves)

It's a moot point now, but just a note that Thod's Will Save would have been +7 for the sword dance, not +5, as I get a +2 when raging.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |
Thod wrote:
EDIT: Also, I'll take a five-foot step West into the room. Can't access my desktop, so if someone could move my token, putting me right underneath the assassin, that'd be grand.

Done.


.

Sorry running around for family medical crap. All is well and sorted.

Thod charges in and with a couple of swings takes down the last assassin who also turns into a red mist. Donnell searches around quickly, but does not find a third assassin.

End of Combat

The following gear was left behind:

- 4 potions of bull's strength
- two potions of resist fire
- 2 alchemist's fire
- 2 cloaks of resistance +1 (very red)
- 2 red mantis masks which radiate magic
- 2 sawtooth sabre (exotic longsword you can dual wield)
- 2 leather armor +1 (stylized to be scary and red)

As Donnell looks around upstairs for a last assassin, he manages to uncover something interesting. A hidden panel in the east wall of the closet. Opening it reveals a tiny compartment containing an iron lockbox.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod, on high alert, sweeps the house for any other assassins. Or survivors. Or bodies.

Note that due to Barbarian's uncanny dodge, I can't be caught flat-footed, or flanked, unless these assassins are 12th level rogues/12 levels of a sneak attacking class. I can still be feinted, though.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell will check for traps (on both the compartment and the box):

Perception: 1d20 + 17 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 17 + (3) = 29

before sitting on the bed and trying to open the box with his thieves' tools:

1d20 + 15 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 15 + (2) = 22


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn follows Thod around the place, looking for any more trouble.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six joins Donnell.

"Would you like some assistance, alpha male Halfling Donnell?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

From downstairs, Raven hears Thod yell up at the two.

"STILL DON'T KNOW WHY YOU CALL HIM THAT!"


.

Donnell sets to work on the box, and his first attempt is thwarted. It will take him a bit, but he's fairly sure the box is within his skill to open up.

The remainder of you sweep the house - it well and truly seems there were only two assassins here.

Donnell's lockpicking is high enough so I'll jump to him taking 20 or whatever.

After everyone returns, Donnell finally springs the box to see what Vencarlo was hiding here. Some objects of power and... interest.

Inside is a single bag, but reaching into it shows it is clearly a bag of holding. Donnell starts producing items:

- a black hooded cloak of elvenkind
- several black masks
- a dozen masterwork daggers with a stylized "B" on the pommels
- a black leather suit that appears magical
- a pair of black boots, also magical
- an amulet
- a pair of black leather glvoes which show as magical - with two fingers in the right hand containing fake wooden figures
- an exquisite mithral rapier, also magical


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

After lowering his hood slowly, Sevenspawn stands dumbfounded. He's seen this outfit before, having smiled up at the hero who wore it in the courtyard of Castle Korvosa.

"Blackjack," he manages. "Vencarlo Orsini is..?"

He falls to silence.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"So. Was the attack aimed at Vencarlo Orsini or Blackjack?" Raven Six wonders.

She blinks once.

And then puts on one of the masks.
"Does it suit me?" she asks, her voice lowered by one or two octaves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell crows: "AHA! I knew it! You all scoffed, but I was right!"

Then, looking somewhat sheepish (undercut by the huge grin): "I apologize - Blackjack is my childhood hero. And ... and we..."

looking stunned, almost speechless (not a quality you have come to associate with the tiny halfling), Donnell's strangled whisper rises in volume with his excitement: "Are we going to RESCUE BLACKJACK! S*~$shitshit. Ok, one minute."

Shakily pulling out his portable alchemist's kit, Donnell quickly mixes together an extract

Identify

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 9 + 10 + (1) = 25

Oh FFS - can I not roll over 10?


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn looks at Raven Six as she dons a mask and Donnell mixes a brew of some sort.

"I would be unfairly jealous if I said it did not. But," he adds gently, "It fits Master Orsini best. These are his, and we should not disturb them. He will need them upon his rescue."

The priest looks to Donnell, nodding. "Yes.. a hero of mine, too. As a child, and now. A beacon of hope, he is. There are many children, beggars, and unfortunate souls who look up to him. I am proud to call myself one of them."

He falls silent briefly, and lowers his tone like Raven Six did as something occurs. "We must tell no one. This is a secret that would destroy him if it got out."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"A good reason for Blackjack to be seen out and about while Vencarlo Orsini is unavailable, no? This gear may serve to help save him, rather than lie inert in a box," Raven Six says, shrugging.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn makes a considering face.

"I concede the point," he says, nodding slowly. "There is certainly value in that."


.

An active identify spell is enough to ID everything.

- +2 slick leather armor
- boots of elvenkind
- amulet of proof against detection and location
- gloves of swimming and climbing
- +2 keen mithral rapier


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Looking at Raven Six, doubtfully: "No offense, but I'm not sure any of us has the panache needed to pass as BlackJack. On the other hand, we could all go disguised in black masks, cloaks, and daggers - that might send a message that the hero is more than one person. At any rate, I have no problem using these items until we rescue Vencarlo, but (assuming he's still alive), he'll need them when we find him. Next question - where do we go to find him? I'm assuming he's with Pilts, but if that's the case, why the assassins? I doubt a thug like that has the resources or the contacts to employ two of the Red Mantis... No, this has to be the work of the Arkonas or the Queen."

Would Donnell have any idea about that last - who do the Red Mantis work for? who could afford to hire them (and why)?
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 10 + (5) = 32


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod is somewhat dispassionate about the finding of the disguise. Not having grown up in this city, though he still recognizes the gravity of the situation, even if he doesn't really feel it himself.

"You'd think he'd hide his disguise a bit better. Now, like Raven asked, were the assassins sent to take out Vencarlo, or Blackjack? And I haven't seen any signs of a battle. So did they kill him and hide their work? Kidnap him for whatever reason? Or did he run and hide?"


.

The disguise was SUPER well hidden in an incredibly high quality lock box - Donnell just has them level 8 skills.

That kind of information can't really come from a knowledge check - anyone with money can hire the Red Mantis. Korvosa's wealthiest entities are the crown, the major noble houses, and the Bank of Abadar.

As you look over the gear, you hear a voice from downstairs.

"Ahh... excuse me? Hello?!" Glancing down the stairs you see a face that is a little familiar to Sevenspawn and Donnell - a young nobleman you distantly recall saving from a mob during the initial riots.

"I ah... think we need to talk!"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Do you have a specific topic in mind?" Raven Six asks as she appears at the top of the stairs - sans mask, but with Blackjack's rapier in hand.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)
GM SpiderBeard wrote:
Glancing down the stairs you see a face that is a little familiar to Sevenspawn and Donnell - a young nobleman you distantly recall saving from a mob during the initial riots.

This guy?! That takes us back...

Recognizing the man's face, Donnell walks to the bottom of the stairs:
"Hullo there, young buck! I thought you were making your way out of Korvosa? Never did catch your name - I'm Donnell (or The Fox, if you prefer). What's the word on Vencarlo? Or do you have other information for us?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Is this the guy we saved when Godric was still around? My notes just say "Fancypants." I can't believe that was 2016...!

Sevenspawn stays at the top of the stairs, falling in beside Raven Six. As he recognizes the fellow, his foot surreptitiously taps her new rapier back gently, indicating silently she should hide it behind her.

He raises a hand to the nobleman in greeting and forces a smile.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Who'se this guy?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six obligingly sheathes the new rapier, contriving to look emotionless -- although, that is more of a default look for her.


.

As you make your way down the stairs, a strange smell that didn't quite click suddenly makes itself apparent to you. The walls, and even the furniture appear to have been smeared with what Donnell and Raven Six both recognize as alchemist's fire. Thankfully, the assassins were slain before anything happened.

"Oh thank the Gods, it's you lot! You saved me back in the riots, I'll never forget that. M-my name is Amin Jalento. Things have gone mad here, please..."

He starts telling you his story, obviously distraught. "After the riot I felt I needed to learn to defend myself, so I began taking classes here. But I became trapped here from the quarantine, unable to return to my home on the mainland. Vencarlo let me stay at his academy... but then he was attacked by red mantis! He killed one but there were too many and so he fled - I did too. The academy was burned when I returned."

He takes a breath. "I don't know where Vencarlo is but... but I do think I know who might. After the quarantine, I noticed that Vencarlo was particularly restless and kept leaving his house at odd times. After one such return, he was bloody and said he had to fight off a thief - but I didn't believe him at all. Furthermore, after the REd Mantis attacked he was getting a strange house guest. This jittery man with wild hair and paint on his hands all the time - Vencarlo just called him a friend, but I knew him as Salvator Scream a notorious local artist! They always met in private but I heard shouting once. Salvator has to have something to do with it.. but he lives in Old Dock and the mobs there are insane. I've been too afraid to go."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |
Thod wrote:
"Who'se this guy?"

Sevenspawn leans over while the others talk to the young fop. "During the riots, Fox and I were with two other companions when we successfully scared off a mob that had cornered this man. They sought to do him harm because he is wealthy and they are not. He seemed..." Sevenspawn rolls his hand in the man's direction. "... much like he is now. Harmless is perhaps the word."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Ah. Well, good as lead as any. So, shall we lock the door on the way out? Maybe bring a few valuables for Vencarlo, in case the Red Ants come back and decide to finish burning this place down?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"A good idea. I shall collect some," Raven Six says, and vanishes upstairs for a few minutes.

Raven Six will equip Blackjack's gear while keeping it hidden as best she can.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)
Thod wrote:
Maybe bring a few valuables for Vencarlo

Assuming there's anything small enough to fit in the bag of holding - my guess is that most of that sort of valuable has already disappeared, however.

Raven Six wrote:
Raven Six will equip Blackjack's gear while keeping it hidden as best she can.

I'm not sure that you're going to be able to dress all in black clothes and keep it hidden - it's probably best to just stuff it all back into the Bag of Holding for now, if we didn't do that before coming downstairs.

Calling up the stairs after Raven: "Maybe open a window or two to let the fumes out." And, growling under his breath "maybe this will evaporate before they come back..."

Turning back to the young man: "Good to formally meet you, Amin. It speaks well of your character that you decided to pick up a sword rather than run - I hope Vencarlo has taught you well. Let's go find this Salvator - you should be safe enough if we travel as a group."

Through Amin's earlier speech and now, Donnell will scrutinize the young man - he's not particularly trusting in general, and certainly not after having just been ambushed.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 7 + (1) = 21


.

Blackjack's gear is just black clothig. It is neither distinct nor memorable unless you're in the mask which kind of snaps it together. Slick leather armour will nicely go under a shirt. Raven can wear it just fine.

Amin appears to be telling the truth - in fact he seems a little guileless and naive. His eyes go wide. "I... they kill people in the Old Dock! I had only been taking lessons for a week. Is there anywhere safe you can take me instead? I... I'll go if you insist but I just want to get back to the mainland. I'm no warrior."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Sorry - I thought the gear was monogrammed, but looking back, I see that was just the daggers.

Setting a quarrel in his crossbow, Donnell looks grim: "They won't be killing us, but..." glancing over at Sevenspawn "maybe we can find a safe space for you. We can't get you back to the mainland just yet."

Turning slightly away from the dandy, Donnell's fingers flick Do we trust this one enough to bring him to Eel's End? Or should I stow him in a bolthole somewhere?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Correction. They try and kill people in the old dock. You can hide in some little hole and hope nobody finds you, or you can stand behind me. Where do you think is safer? That is, unless they start shooting arrows, or fireballs, or... uh... Yeah, maybe we should help him hide while we search around."


.

Amin finally makes his own decision. "I'm just going to lay low here. The assassins are dead, Vencarlo is gone, I should be fine - I am not going to Old Korvosa, thank you very much. If you're leaving the island, please come gather me."

You strike out towards the Old Dock, leaving the relative safety of Garrison Hill. Stepping past the ruined wall you step into the dense, dangerous neighbourhood you all know very well. Your goal is Salvator's Studio - which is on the dock itself, a few blocks west of Eel's End.

Donnell's Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 10 + (5) = 32

Donnell is very aware of Salvator and his studio. The artist is notorious for grotesque, scandalous art designed to shock and as such is held in high esteem by the Korvosan nobility. His popularity is even greater with the lower classes, and he regularly exhibited at Exemplary Execrables until it burned down.

I will need to know how you're moving through the Old Dock - are you making a beeline for the studio, going to eel's end, or something else entirely? Are you going open and scary, or quiet and sneaky?

Map is updated with new locations and idea of where you are and wnat to go.

2,301 to 2,350 of 2,804 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.