GM SpiderBeard's Carrion Crown

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter Six: Shadows of Gallowspire

Campaign Maps

Our Heroes

Loot Spreadsheet

Carrion Crown Poem


8,151 to 8,200 of 8,398 << first < prev | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

a fish? Maybe an oozes. Or an undead beastie. Best be cautious
Lena moves a bit higher
can you open the door?


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren waits to see what the party does. She’s not quite willing to enter the water on her own and has limited options to help from the safety of the air.

She’s a bird, not a fish, after all.


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena grabs ahold of Potpie. "We can toss Potpie down to see if anything is down there? She can fly out. Or Lena can maybe go down on her broom?" Elena tries to think of a few ideas.


.

From what you can tell from the light source the well is around 15' deep.

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

wait I have an idea
She casts knock on the door

knock: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (13) + 22 = 35


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20

Good. Let's try and go through the open door.

He likes that Lena is using the magics, as he suspects a trap.


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

"Dinnae I be mentionin' tha' I be really again' gettin' wet?"


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren waits to see what happens, whether Lena's spell will work. She's only somewhat surprised that the halfling has a spell that doesn't lead to fire, booming, and resultant crying like the knock spell.


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20

Getting wet? Wasn't it just a few weeks ago I first met all of you as we dove a mile deep into the ocean to take on My-go's? Compared to THAT, this is a walk in the park.

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

Lena smirks. Got that spell way back in Harrowstone prison. We had to fight ghosts. She looks around, somewhat sad. Everyone who was at the professors funeral is gone now.

She shakes herself. OK, it is unlocked. Open it already


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

"Aye, an' ye missed most o' th' complainin' tha' led up t' tha' point. Arval an' Eldon be around then. They go' t' be hearin' most o' th' arguments again'."

Whiskeyjack picked up a little of Lena's melancholy as he thought of their past companions.


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20
Whiskey wrote:
Arval an' Eldon be around then. They go' t' be hearin' most o' th' arguments again'."

Bronin laughs heartily. That is me. Luckiest man to ever run a kingdom. I sure dodged that "slayers arrow" if'n I missed what I expect Arval and eldon to have endured.

Personally, I don't think you have much of a choice-staying up here alone means you are letting Wren to run amock.
Bronin starts heading toward the unlocked gate. He'll be first into the danger.


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren waits to see what happens, cooing softly to herself.

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

bother

perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

Lena checks the door for suspicious things. Like traps. And graffiti.


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena rests her head on her crossed hands as she leans against the well. "What was supposed to happen?"

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

If Lena doesn't see anything suspicious she will open the door.


.

You decide to not go for a swim. Lena snaps her fingers with a little spell, and the secret door pops open. Nothing explodes at you and you're fine. You all head down the rope and start to file into the tunnel beyond. The tunnel ends at what appears to be a back end of another secret door. You are now beneath the abbey.

Down here it smells wet, and of decay. Echoing in the chamber beyond the door is the sound of someone pacing.

Map is updated.


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren waits for the other secret door to be opened. The remaining 4 prying eyes are ready to be released in pairs. She will send them forth when the door is opened with instructions to return if their pair is destroyed or they have explored the underground.


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena squeals and taps Wren. "Oh Look Wren! The door opened. Did you see that?" Following the others she hangs down over the ledge, stretching her feet out to try and get in the secret door without falling in the water. Letting go she subconsciously lowers herself down as the amulet glows a dull white light. Levitate

Hearing the voice she whispers. "Think it could be Aisa?"


.

Lemme know if you're opening the door a crack to send the eyes in or just heading in or something else. Need a clear action.

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

Well, Lena forgot about the eyes, so she just opens the door. She is to one side of the door, on the wall with spider climb.


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren sends the eyes through after Lena opens the door.

”Fly my pretties! Fly,” Wren utters instructions to the eyes, who have it.


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

Whiskeyjack moved forward to act as a bulwark att eh door as the spying eyes flew forward.


.

Lena throws the door open and the prying eyes flood out. One problem, it is pitch black in here. Although Whiskeyjack can see, exploring the the basement with the eyes is going to be quite the trick.

As the door flies open, you seem to attract the attention of whomever was walking and quickly get some light spells into play.

Carved stone columns resembling angels with outstretched wings support the ceiling of this wide, long chamber. Decayed bones and half-rotten burial shrouds spill out of ten five-foot wide alcoves in the chamber’s walls.

A pale man in knightly regalia stalks towards you with wide eyes. He has a hunted, desperate look to him. He slowly draws his sword.

"I... think I have to challenge you. I'm not even sure anymore. It's hard without him in my mind."

He seems more confused than hostile.


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren casts light so that she might see more clearly. After doing so, she takes in the knight's visage.

She examines the knightly regalia for clues of his origin.

1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 14 + 2 = 23 Know (history)

And what is he?

1d20 + 22 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 22 + 2 = 37 Know (religion)


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

Whiskeyjack held up a hand, forestalling any violence for the moment. "Wit'ou' who in yer head? Who be ye? An' why be ye in this place o' misery?"

K. Religion on the symbology
k. religion: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (11) + 16 = 27


.

Whiskeyjack notices two things.

The first, he is clearly an Iomedean from the symbology on the armour although he lacks a distinct holy symbol.

The second, he is a vampire.

Wren is fairly certain he hails from Lastwall and their knightly orders, probably a paladin. Or was.

"Radvir he did this to me. He was in my thoughts, I had to follow him but it's all gone now. I don't understand."

He takes another hesitating step towards you, his sword still up. "Who are you? Do you work for Aisa?"


Male Half-Orc Slayer (Vanguard)/13 | AC 21 T 13 F 19 | HP 121 | F +12* R +12 W +8* | Init +10 | Perc +22*

Adder shakes his head. "Poor fool was taken. No cure for that disease."


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren listens, not pushing things just yet and letting others more inclined to mercy tender the knight.


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20

We kiled Radvir. We killed Aisa's sister - and we are here to kill Aisa.

If you got to challenge us- then so be it, but we'd rather talk this out.
If you have to challenge me - then give me a minute so I can see the terrain. I hope you have retained your sense of honor and wish for a fair fight.

Bronin starts talking. He's looking to actually delay the combat, time for others to give him hints on how to best keep the man talking and prevent a fight.
diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena tries to answer as calmly as possible. "No, none of us are Aisa. Did she do this to you?" Her face and voice grow sorrowful. "My name is Elena. What is yours?"

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

Be careful Elena. Some vampires hunt like beasts. But others lure you with compassion. Or She looks at bronin [/b]
Her eyes narrow remember what they are. Parasites. Ticks
Lena's hands glow with heat.
ticks don't deserve honorable combat. But I'll give you a chance. Keep your distance, or you will meet pharasma for your reward.


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

"'Ere no, i' be a shame t' see a paladin o' Lastwall's orders fallen t' such a state. Mebbe we ken be helpin' ye back on th' righ' path. Either tha', or shrivin' ye and sendin' ye on t' yer just reward with yer conscience clear. What say ye? Shall we be workin' on tha' repentance? Or jest sending ye on t' th' Lady o' Graves fer judgement as is?"


.

Bronin seems to calm the knight down. He stares dully at the floor as Lena taunts him.

"I am a tick. A parasite. Reduced to this. They made me feed on that guard..." He collapses to a knee, overcome with emotion before he speaks dully.

"I was investigating the murders in Caliphas and discovered Radvir was the culprit, but was no match. He killed me, and I was brought back as this monster - a puppet of the witches and guardian. But you killed Radvir, and Hetna? I think there is hope."

He stands fully. "I am Halloran Idriss, formerly of Iomedae. The Inheritor will not answer to a beast like me now. I see my way forward though. Let me tell you what I know - finish your mission here and slay Hetna. Then, please heroes - find a spell of antonement for me. Give me the channel to my goddess to plead forgiveness. Then I will let the sun take me. But first, ask me whatever you need to know of these hateful witches."


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

Wren listens, wishing she could help the poor lost little bird.

”Of course. Of course ,we can do that, my little chickadee,” Wren coos soothingly. ”We’ll get you back to normal dead as opposed to what you are now as soon as we can.” She smiles her yellow-toothed cracked smile, trying to be reassuring.

”Now, how does Hetna fight? What others guard her?”


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

"Lena blew up a witch earlier. Was she Hetna?" Elena asks as she tries to console the vampiric knight. "It'll be alright. I am sure Iomedae wouldn't turn her back on you for something out of your control. She'll answer your prayers."


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20
Elena wrote:
"It'll be alright. I am sure Iomedae wouldn't turn her back on you for something out of your control. She'll answer your prayers."

To which Bronin replies I'm certain of that too. You got a raw deal. Something outside your control.

At the least, I'm keen to get you all Atoned and right. and then I'd LOVE to spar. Your armor and weapons look like you have some significant skill. I'd love to see how my fighting style stacks up against that. Not now, mind you. You aren't an antagonist anymore.


.

Halloran gives the kind of half-smile only permitted to tragic grimdark former paladins.

"Aisa - Hetna you slew. My mistake. THe mind wanders when you spend your days looking for skulls in these catacombs. Perhaps we can spar when this is done, ser. For now let me tell you what I know."

He sheathes his weapon with a shaky hand and begins.

"Aisa and Hetna were once part of a coven, with a powerful Annis Hag. Oothi. Oothi was slain, but her intelligence lives on in these hateful spiders. They're everywhere - thankfully not here at the moment. But she watches the estate everywhere, her mind in a million small pieces. Hetna has been desperate to resurrect her former master - but there is a piece missing. The hag's skull. They have not found it."

He taps his head.

"Their dealing with Radvir to slay vampires and install him as their leader in Caliphas is... I'm not sure the reasoning behind the plan. But the agent is this bloodbrew - how they create it is most foul. An undead atrocity. A blood knight called Konas Esprilian. He will guard Aisa. There are also great golems of wood you should be wary of. Aisa is a powerful spellcaster, although I do not know how she fights."


Warpriest 13 | AC 28 T 10 F 28 | HP 100| F +12* R +6* W +15* | Init +0 | Perc +14*

"Dirty. She be fightin' dirty, wit' spells tha' cloudin' yer mind. D' ye know where she migh' o' fled t'? I' be a big place t' jest be wanderin' around."


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

”Is that who’s body is above? The one the stalkers guard? That’s who that is, huh? How did the hag die? Where might her skull be?” Wren coos and asks the vampknight.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20
GM Vampire wrote:
. Perhaps we can spar when this is done, ser. For now

To which Bronin replies, because he doesn't want to offend the vampire.

Don't think anything of it. I want nothing from trying to help you. There's no Quid Pro Quo for getting you Atoned. I just thought it'd be a good experience.
don't worry, we'll do the right thing.

play the Alex Kliment video. That's my favorite.

Bronin is very impressed that he thought up that complex Gnomish word. Quid Pro Quo. Made him sound smart in front of this formidable knight.

Anyone good against Wood Golems? Probably FieryLina.


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena looks down one of the halls. "Is Aisa down there? What is in this basement?

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

Lena thinks
we spell up and take them. If we hit them hard, unprepared, then roast them. But golems? They are immune to most magic. Wood might burn, anyone know?


Male Half-Orc Slayer (Vanguard)/13 | AC 21 T 13 F 19 | HP 121 | F +12* R +12 W +8* | Init +10 | Perc +22*

Adder ticks off foes on his fingers.

"Wood golems, an undead knight, and two hags, plus many spiders with the mind pieces of another hag. It is good that we brought lots of fire."


.

God I want that Ramones song.

"I can take you directly to Aisa, although I will warn you she can exert a power over me - I may be more of a liability than asset in combat with her."

Wren's Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (7) + 22 = 29

Wood golems are indeed immune to magic - unless its fire. They have the golemy strengths and weaknesses woudl would suspect otherwise.

He listens to the group ask a barrage of questions.

"The basement here filled many purposes - an ossuary where we stand now, a wine cellar, a shrine. I've told you who is in here now. I have not left this basement since I was brought here but I imagine that her mostly-reconstructed skeleton is in the Abbey from conversations, yes. Nobody knows where the skull is - otherwise I would not be here picking through skeletons."

He points northwards. "Aisa is that way, although we will encounter Konas first, I imagine."

You can take Halloran with you if you want. The obvious exit is north, but if you have actions otherwise let me know.


Stats:
AC 18/13/15;F6,R10,W10;Appr11ww/Cft12/Arc23/Dung23/Eng11/Geo11/Hist14/Loc25/Na t21/Pln23/Rel23/Ling11/Spell23; Perc +16
Elf FeatherMage

"You should stay here, Halloran. Stay safe and away, lest we get too caught up in the fight and you get drawn into things you cannot resist," Wren caws. "Point the way towards Konas and wait here, Sir Knight."

Trusting FireLena to blow up the golems and Bronin and Jameson to handle the (probably) undead blood knight, Wren is ready to follow the party forward.

Shadow Lodge

Female Halfling Sorcerer (elemental,fire) 13 HP 69/69| AC: 27 T 21 FF 20|concentration +20 fire resistance 20 | | CMB: +5 | CMD:23 | Fort:+8 | Ref:+13 | Will:+11 Fear Save: +3 | Init:+9| Perc: +15 | Stealth:+16 Spellcraft +17
active spells:
mage armour, firebolt 10/10 fireblast 1/1

We best keep moving.
She looks at the vampire knight.
you are something unnatural now. You want redemption? There is only one way for that. Break your chains and return to Pharasma's embrace. Climb up the well and watch the sun one last time.
She turns away from him and starts heading north.
if you are still here when I return, I will incinerate you.

Lena casts shield, and uses her wand of protection from evil.


Human Barmaid
Stats:
HP 96/96 | AC 17; TCH 16; FF 13 | Fort +10; Ref +11; Will +12 | Init +9; Perc +17

Elena sighs at Lena's bold statement of killing the knight. "Can't we do something to help him though." She looks hopeful in her very narrow view of how the world actually works.

"You should stay here Sir Knight. We don't want her taking ahold of your mind and have to hurt you." She rests a comforting hand on his armored chest. "It will be okay."


.

PbP makes your brain work weirdly but whatever you found a more interesting way into the basement - I completely missed that there were clear staircases into this basement from the main dining hall of the abbey.

Halloran nods grimly and moves to go lurk in a corner and brood over his fate. You swing open the double doors and head northwards.

A single torch mounted in a sconce along the wall at the base
of the stairs lights this long hallway. Double doors seal the way
south, while two chambers lie open to the east and north.

As you walk into the room you see a few spiders scuttling around towards the north hall.

You can go east or north. Or up the stiars I forgot existed.


Male Human Ranger Level 13 -143 HP/ AC 27 /F:+11 R:+12 W:+5 / Init: +6. Perception: +16--+20

Let us forge North. We should have someone stationed to watch the Eastern corridor so we don't have nasty surprises.

Bronin moves north. Stealthing.

stealth: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38

8,151 to 8,200 of 8,398 << first < prev | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A working gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.