GM Rinaldo's Eyes of the Ten 2018

Game Master The Great Rinaldo!

Maps and Images | Character detail documents


2,051 to 2,100 of 2,242 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>

Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

I moved everyone into the green room. However, left and right are subjective... can you place a marker on the map next to the door you intend to activate?

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

Done.

If this results in a mess we may want to have Marta go into a room by herself and to these things.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

The group enters the room with the green floor, and Marta pulls the lever on the far side, which you expect to open into the blue room. Unlike in the other rooms, no energy flashes around the room, and you think for a moment that this room has no trap ... until you feel something happening.

Everyone needs to make a Fort save against a magical effect, and everyone who is touching the ground can make a perception check to try to discern the motion of the room.

The door by the lever opens, and you see, as expected, the room with the blue floor. A quick check of the exterior door in the green room shows it still sealed shut.

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

fort ST, heroism, guidance, shake it off, ring of TP: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 15 + 2 + 1 + 5 + 1 = 40

Is the door from the blue room to the red room open? Have any doors closed? In fact, which doors can we are currently open.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

Every time you pull a lever, all open doors that you can see close, then the door next to the chosen lever opens. At this moment, the only open door is between the green and blue rooms.

Not that it matters for this check, but how do you have Guidance in effect? Do you have something that gives it to you permanently?

Don't forget the Perception check for figuring out the movement.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Witch 13
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 13|HP: 75/75|F +7, R +10, W +11 (+2 vs Ench/death/gaze, +1 vs Tran/fear/confusion/writing)|Init +3, Perc +24|CMB +7 CMD 20|12/12 Flight, 1/1 Levitate, 1/1 Sphinx, 1/1 Sculptor

Fortitude save, heroism: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Scarab Sages

male Faerie Dragon Familiar 13
Spoiler:
|AC 28, T 19, FF 24 SR 18|HP: 37/37|F +9, R +11, W +14|Init +3, Perc +21|CMB +7 CMD 17 (21 vs trip)|greater invisibility 3/3, 1st-level spells 6/6

Fortitude save, guidance: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)
GM Rinaldo wrote:
Not that it matters for this check, but how do you have Guidance in effect? Do you have something that gives it to you permanently?

She is casting it before pulling the lever each time. Seems prudent. I just noticed I only mentioned it for the disable device roll, but Marta will be doing it for the levers too. Or were you asking Qaddy?


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

I was asking you, because I hadn't seen you mention casing it. Same goes for Qadathra - where is the Guidance coming from?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

fort save: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30

Hrrmm. That was unexpected. I only hope we are not moving further from our destination. Or that this is only a distraction and there is a different path to our quarry altogether.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

Waiting for Myrdon, Aegis, and Luisila on the saves, and everyone is forgetting the Perception check I asked for as well. ;-)

BTW, if any of you have a reroll available, make sure to mention if you want to use it before I resolve the saves.

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

perception, heroism, heightened awareness: 1d20 + 25 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 25 + 2 + 2 = 40

Scarab Sages

male Elf Witch 13
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 13|HP: 75/75|F +7, R +10, W +11 (+2 vs Ench/death/gaze, +1 vs Tran/fear/confusion/writing)|Init +3, Perc +24|CMB +7 CMD 20|12/12 Flight, 1/1 Levitate, 1/1 Sphinx, 1/1 Sculptor

*sigh* Well that sounds ominous....

Fortitude save, heroism, folio reroll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 please note my numerous specialized modifiers, in case any apply

Qadathra's guidance had been granted by Luisila.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

Perception : 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38

Sensing the spin and direction of the motion.

Dark Archive

Varisian Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) L13 | HP: 96/96 | AC:13+4+1 T:13+1 FF:12+4 | CMB:+5+2 CMD:18+1 | Saves F:14+2 R:12+2+1 W:14+2 | Init:+6 | Per:+16+2 | Spd: 30 fly 40 +30 | Reroll: 1/1 | Spells: L1 6/9, L2 5/8, L3: 4/8, L4: 5/8, L5: 5/8, L6:4/5 | Topple Rod: 3/3 | Fleeting Glance: 11/13 | Conditions: false life (13h); overland flight (13h); heroism (130m); mage armor (1h); haste

Myrdon fort, heroism: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 14 + 2 = 22
Aegis fort, heroism: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 2 = 31

Myrdon cringes again, waiting for whatever foul magic to strike...

Grand Lodge

Female CG Half-elf Cleric 13 | HP: 133/133 | AC: 24 (15 T, 20 Fl) | CMB: +11, CMD: 26 (27 grapple) | F: +18, R: +13, W: +21 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init: +5 | Perc: +26, SM: +7 | Speed 30' | 0/7 Channels | 0/9 BoL | 0/2 GF | Active conditions: none

Fortitude: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38

perception: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (20) + 26 = 46

That should give me some clue as to how far we're moving each time! Now, let me have a think about what's going on ...


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

As the room begins to turn, you are quite certain that it moved about 1/8 of a turn clockwise. You look around trying to figure out what effect the room had, but can't see anything.

Everyone seems to have passed their saves, but since there was no visible casting you can't tell what the effect would have been. There was no visible effect beyond you being able to tell you were being affected by magic.

As a reminder, here is a recap of what has happened. Every time a handle is pulled all visible doors close, then after the magical effect occurs, one or more doors open. I will call the interior doors "left" and "right" from the perspective of having your back to the exterior and facing the center point. You have determined that each turn appears to be 1/8 of a rotation.

1. Erinyes entered the red room and pulled the Right handle; there was fire and the door into the blue room was opened.
2. Erinyes stayed in the red room and pulled the Left handle; there was fire again, and the door into the yellow room was opened as well as the door to the exterior where you all stood.
3. You all entered the yellow room and pulled the Left handle; there was lightning and the door into the green room opened.
4. You moved into the green room and pulled the Left handle; some magical effect that you couldn't see occurred and the door into the blue room opened.

Assuming each pull rotates 1/8 of a turn, you believe you have now rotated 1/4 turn clockwise; I have adjusted the map to show this orientation. The blue room should be aligned with the door into the foyer you entered through, but the blue room lacks an exterior door.

Finally, I realize that I made a mistake at one point; to avoid ret-conning quite a bit of activity, I will correct for my mistake by ret-conning the clue you received in the foyer to this puzzle. Instead of “The shortest year has five seasons of fire", with the mistake the clue should have read “The shortest year has three seasons of fire". Fixing the clue makes it align with everything you have experienced.

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

"I must say, I was pleasantly surprised that nobody got showered with acid or anything. Well, shall we try to pass through the final room back into the red room and see what happens?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

Agreed. Please proceed with the red room and if wisdom prevails, we will be back on our path to Hestram.

Dark Archive

Varisian Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) L13 | HP: 96/96 | AC:13+4+1 T:13+1 FF:12+4 | CMB:+5+2 CMD:18+1 | Saves F:14+2 R:12+2+1 W:14+2 | Init:+6 | Per:+16+2 | Spd: 30 fly 40 +30 | Reroll: 1/1 | Spells: L1 6/9, L2 5/8, L3: 4/8, L4: 5/8, L5: 5/8, L6:4/5 | Topple Rod: 3/3 | Fleeting Glance: 11/13 | Conditions: false life (13h); overland flight (13h); heroism (130m); mage armor (1h); haste

Ah, with that hint from GM, I take it that the shortest way to get the doors to align would have been 3 pulls. Based on my theory that the exit is either W or NW, I believe that 3 pulls, each turning 1/8 clockwise, would have gotten the red room's outer door to the W. So I think we need to go to the red room, pull the left lever to turn it 1/8 clockwise to solve.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

Note that as of this moment, you cannot reach the red room. You are in the green room and the door into blue is currently open.

Dark Archive

Varisian Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) L13 | HP: 96/96 | AC:13+4+1 T:13+1 FF:12+4 | CMB:+5+2 CMD:18+1 | Saves F:14+2 R:12+2+1 W:14+2 | Init:+6 | Per:+16+2 | Spd: 30 fly 40 +30 | Reroll: 1/1 | Spells: L1 6/9, L2 5/8, L3: 4/8, L4: 5/8, L5: 5/8, L6:4/5 | Topple Rod: 3/3 | Fleeting Glance: 11/13 | Conditions: false life (13h); overland flight (13h); heroism (130m); mage armor (1h); haste

Ah, that's true. But if we go into the blue room, pull the lever next that is next to the door to the red room, we should rotate another 1/8 clockwise and open the door to the red room?


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

That is a question you'll have to answer for yourselves. ;-)

So, going with Myrdon's idea, or does anyone have an alternative they want to suggest?

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

I double that. We march on into the next room and pull the lever to the fire room. Want some Saving throws?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

I can offer no viable alternative. Let us proceed.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

Three votes passes the motion.

Following Myrdon's theory, you move into the blue room and pull the lever on the left. A blast of frigid wind blows through the room.

Cold damage: 14d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 5, 3) = 42
DC 17 Reflex for half damage.

As the fog clears, you see that, as expected, the door into the red room has opened. In addition, the exterior door of the red room is open, revealing what appears to be a grand hall with a red carpet in the center.

Map updated, fogged to what you can see from standing in the blue room still.

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

Reflex ST, heroism, guidance, shake it off, ring of TP: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 1 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 12 + 2 + 1 + 5 + 1 = 39, damage evaded.

Once again Marta jerks the lever down and tumbles for cover under Aegis. Her off hand ring (of evasion) flashes and she is none the worse for wear after the blast. Springing back to her feet she announces, "Well, whatever the clue meant, our way worked."

She eyes the exit expecting to be swarmed by enemies any moment so she moves out slowly to peek into the open doorway.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

Reflex : 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25 as Fendahl dodges much of the cold.

”Yes. Now let us stick with red for the next few seems wise. “


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

Marta steps into the red room and peers through the exit. The revolving elemental chamber empties into a broad, windowless hall. Half columns of marble flank the walls, and a carpeted path stretches towards the single exit: a curved stairwell carved of slick, gray basalt. In the center of the hall, atop a marble dais, sits perched a great copper-clad sphinx.

DC 25 Knowledge (history) - You must move to where you can see the room before making this check:
The creature on the dais is Andrexiel, the Copper Sphinx, a sentient construct.

GM Screen:
1d20 + 23 ⇒ (12) + 23 = 351d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

"I wasn't told to expect anyone today. Show yourself!"

Grand Lodge

Female CG Half-elf Cleric 13 | HP: 133/133 | AC: 24 (15 T, 20 Fl) | CMB: +11, CMD: 26 (27 grapple) | F: +18, R: +13, W: +21 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init: +5 | Perc: +26, SM: +7 | Speed 30' | 0/7 Channels | 0/9 BoL | 0/2 GF | Active conditions: none

reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

channel healing: 7d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 4, 5, 3, 3, 6) = 25

wand of CLW on Luisila: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (5, 4) + 2 = 11
wand of CLW on Luisila: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 2 = 5

"I'm going to save my remaining channels for the moment, guys. But I am happy to top up your health with my wand of CLW."

The priestess also ✨copycats for the second time today.

“We are allies of the Scarab Sages faction of the Society, Mighty Sphinx of the Red Metal. One of us is a member!”

Luisila pleads her case for a diplomatic solution. “We are here to protect VC Shemis and the interests of the Ten. Will you let us pass unmolested, sister?”

“Perhaps there is a riddle we can answer as a password?”

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

Our thanks for your healing, Luisila. Fendahl bows.

Moving to see the creature and speak after Luisila.

Indeed, we are honor bound to protect the Venture-Captain. Your assistance would be most appreciated. Knowledge of recent trespassers would likewise be helpful.

No kn:history

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

knowledge history, monster lore: 1d20 + 6 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 7 = 21

"Well, you look familiar. Haven't I seen you somewhere before?"

Dark Archive

Varisian Human Sorcerer (Sylvan) L13 | HP: 96/96 | AC:13+4+1 T:13+1 FF:12+4 | CMB:+5+2 CMD:18+1 | Saves F:14+2 R:12+2+1 W:14+2 | Init:+6 | Per:+16+2 | Spd: 30 fly 40 +30 | Reroll: 1/1 | Spells: L1 6/9, L2 5/8, L3: 4/8, L4: 5/8, L5: 5/8, L6:4/5 | Topple Rod: 3/3 | Fleeting Glance: 11/13 | Conditions: false life (13h); overland flight (13h); heroism (130m); mage armor (1h); haste

Myrdon ref DC17: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 2 = 15
Aegis ref DC17: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 13 + 2 = 16
GAAAAHHHH!!!

Before Myrdon (or Aegis it seems) are ready, the lever was thrown and both of them got a full blast of frigid air. "Ah, I wasn't ready yet!!!" Still, Luisila's healing is welcomed.

Myrdon will use his wand of infernal healing on themselves. Not sure whether enough time for complete healing.

"Oh mighty sphinx, we mean not to disturb you solace. We only seek to accomplish what is just and good. We are only most humble creatures, not worthy to offend, but whatever minute assistance you could offer would be of tremendous help to us."

diplomacy, heroism: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 21 + 2 = 33


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

As you move into the hallway to see and speak to the sphinx, it stands and looks at you all.

"If you truly wish to preserve the safety of Mistress Shemis, then leave now. I have no desire to harm you, but I may not allow you to pass."

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

You may want to move your character if you want to talk with the beast. I put Fendhal in the room since he said he was moving in. Marta had actually just moved out of the blue room, into the red room, and peeked into the sphinx room and not actually entered it. She was going to wait for the others to heal before actually entering, but she moves in now since talking has started.

diplomacy, heroism: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 + 2 = 26

"I didn't think sphinxes wore armor. Then again, I don't seem to know all that much about sphinx's except that they ask riddles with nasty consequences. Or is that just a rumor? It can be hard to separate fact from fiction."


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

"It amuses some to pose riddles. At the moment, however, I have a single task, and that is to prevent entry into the chamber above."

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

"I suppose there must be some passphrase or other to get past you. One of my allies might have the phrase. I do hope you don't have to do this guard duty forever. We've met creatures with pretty crappy duties and that would be one of them. What are you getting paid?"

Marta is content to chat the sphinx up while her allies get themselves healed and sorted out. She's tempted to ask Ragathiel for revelations concerning the Sphinx's moral leanings, but that will often trigger violence. A spell is a spell is an attack in most folks mind.


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

"I do what I must for as long as I must. This is what I am. "

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 121/121 AC33 Touch 13 Flat 26; F+17 R+11 W+17(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+20 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 12/Samurai 1, {resinskin, barkskin } Shape changed 0/5

Moved Luisila into the room since she started talking to it first.

There is no honor in performing a duty enforced upon you. If you honor this duty and wish to protect Mistress Shemis, you would be wise to let us pass. Every minute of delay puts Mistress Shemis into greater danger.

The creature does not seem to be persuaded. Pity, since it is a remarkable construct.

Turning to Luisila

Lady, did you not foresee we would encounter this creature? Was there a way to bypass it in that vision?

I suspect Luisila would channel again for Myrdon and Aegis failing miserably...if we are in no hurry, then Fendahl and Luisila can tap them up with wands while Marta speaks.

Luisila on Myrdon clw: 3d8 + 3 ⇒ (2, 6, 6) + 3 = 17
Fendahl on Aegis clw: 3d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 8, 1) + 3 = 18

Grand Lodge

Female CG Half-elf Cleric 13 | HP: 133/133 | AC: 24 (15 T, 20 Fl) | CMB: +11, CMD: 26 (27 grapple) | F: +18, R: +13, W: +21 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init: +5 | Perc: +26, SM: +7 | Speed 30' | 0/7 Channels | 0/9 BoL | 0/2 GF | Active conditions: none

Elven & repeated in Celestial:

"Nah, the Copper Sphinx was foretold by Vladek's contacts in the Osirion Embassy, Fendahl."

Luisila sighs. "This is going to be another demolition job on an intelligent creature that probably should know better than to tangle with good-intentioned Seeker level Pathfinders."

"Once everyone's healed I think we should send in some summoned critters and get on with it."

Any knowledge checks to know special attacks and weaknesses of the sphinx, GM?

"Hey, Sphinxy! I've got one for you: What's black and blue, and red (metalled) all over?"


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

You know the basic things about gynosphinxes: They can fly (poorly), they use their claws in combat like a cat (including pounce and rake), and have a number of divination SLA's. They tend to be scholars as well as guardians.

The sphinx does not respond to Luisila's question.

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

"Oh my - Luisila!"

Turning to the Sphinx she asks once more, with little hope. "I guess this is your last chance guardian. Is there a way to pass peacefully?"

Scarab Sages

male Elf Witch 13
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 13|HP: 75/75|F +7, R +10, W +11 (+2 vs Ench/death/gaze, +1 vs Tran/fear/confusion/writing)|Init +3, Perc +24|CMB +7 CMD 20|12/12 Flight, 1/1 Levitate, 1/1 Sphinx, 1/1 Sculptor

Reflex save, heroism: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

Vladek leaves a shimmering trail of afterimages behind as he flings himself into the most sheltered corner of the chamber! Still, well as he weathers the blast, he can only protect himself so much...

Scarab Sages

male Faerie Dragon Familiar 13
Spoiler:
|AC 28, T 19, FF 24 SR 18|HP: 37/37|F +9, R +11, W +14|Init +3, Perc +21|CMB +7 CMD 17 (21 vs trip)|greater invisibility 3/3, 1st-level spells 6/6

Reflex save, Improved Evasion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

...and Qadathra fares only as well on this occassion.

Failing a saving throw breaks Vladek's Ward, but he immediately re-applies it.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Witch 13
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 13|HP: 75/75|F +7, R +10, W +11 (+2 vs Ench/death/gaze, +1 vs Tran/fear/confusion/writing)|Init +3, Perc +24|CMB +7 CMD 20|12/12 Flight, 1/1 Levitate, 1/1 Sphinx, 1/1 Sculptor

Vladek looks at the guardian in admiration, if not necessarily awe.

Knowledge (Arcana) RE copper-clad Gynosphinxes: 1d20 + 29 ⇒ (13) + 29 = 42

Could someone please remind me what, in particular, I was told about this guardian?

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)
Vladek Odradek wrote:
Could someone please remind me what, in particular, I was told about this guardian?

Look here.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Witch 13
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 13|HP: 75/75|F +7, R +10, W +11 (+2 vs Ench/death/gaze, +1 vs Tran/fear/confusion/writing)|Init +3, Perc +24|CMB +7 CMD 20|12/12 Flight, 1/1 Levitate, 1/1 Sphinx, 1/1 Sculptor
Marta - A.K.A. Telmar So-Melnop wrote:
Turning to the Sphinx she asks once more, with little hope. "I guess this is your last chance guardian. Is there a way to pass peacefully?"

Vladek waits for the sphinx's answer to Marta's appeal...even though it would seem the writing has long-since been on the wall....


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror
Marta - A.K.A. Telmar So-Melnop wrote:

"Oh my - Luisila!"

Turning to the Sphinx she asks once more, with little hope. "I guess this is your last chance guardian. Is there a way to pass peacefully?"

"Of course. Remain here until one of the Ten comes to escort you."

Liberty's Edge

Female Aasimar UMonk/1 Inquisitor/12 | HP: 95/108 | AC/T/FF: 40/27/29 24/20/15 | CMB: +16, CMD: 41 34 (+4) CD| F/R/W: 17/17/20 17/14/21 | Init: +13 (-4 wo HAware) | Acro +20 (25), Intim +33 (+2 if Halo), Perc +27, SenMot +20, SpCft +6, Stealth +11, Survival +13 (-2 to all skills wo heroism) | Speed 30ft | Move: 30 ft (30 ft) | Active Conditions: -2 wisdom, freedom of movement, see invisibility, tongues, bane(human), and more (see buff tracking sheet)

Once again Marta sends a question to the entity in her ioun stone. Can you help with this?

"I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen since they are dying like flies. Did Hestram come through here or anyone else recently? And if so, which of the 10 were they accompanied by?"


Escaping the Grave, Table 1 | Escaping the Grave, Table 2 | The Midnight Mirror

"No one has passed me that does not belong."

Marta:
Afraid not. I didn't even know this was here. For that matter, I didn't know *here* was here ... this is all new to me.

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,242 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rinaldo's Eyes of the Ten 2018 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.