GM Parrot's The Ferry and the Depths: Rappan Athuk

Game Master parrot familiar

Google Drive for maps, loot, etc.

Adelie 50/50
Anzath 48/48
Aurora 50/50
Bedlam 57/57 (1 negative level)
Lolly 60/60
Moneduloides
Talathel 40/40
Tragershen 30/30

Date: Augusta 30


4,751 to 4,800 of 5,008 << first < prev | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | next > last >>

Post postponed!


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Dere be un bee buzzing sound...bzzzz....


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

"I am willing to spend gold to get us all out of here swiftly. If that is infeasible, I volunteer to be among those whom remain.", says Talathel as he examines the rubble.

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Ok, on rereading earlier posts, I see that Sylvester teleported OUT with Vael, two paladins, the high priestess, and himself. That means he has at least CL 12 on his Teleport spell (one person per 3 CL + the caster), and it stands to reason that he could 'port out three of you (3+paladin+self) today, or maybe 4 if you convinced the paladin to stay behind. I haven't fully built up Sylvester, but I think a wizard of level 12 or thereabouts has a reasonable chance of having one teleport prepared + bonded object on any given day (your current situation). Tomorrow, he could load up on Teleports.

Summary of options:

1. Teleport out with Sylvester. Use scrolls to get everyone out today. Deduct cost of scrolls from loot later when you trade in the magic lamp.
2. Partial teleport out with Sylvester. Most likely three people (plus corpses) leave, three are left behind. Splitting the party is always risky.
3. Wait until tomorrow and leave together for free-ish when Sylvester preps more Teleport spells. Rappan Athuk is always risky.
4. Abandon the Teleport plan for now, seek alternate route.
5. Something else, let me know what!

/end summary of options

Everyone should pick the number that best matches their preference, and let me know if you want to adjust anything!


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen taps his chin with a finger as he speaks. "I think we should take advantage of the good mage's generosity and have scrolls used to get us out of here close together and soon. We do not know how long it will take the ghouls to return with reinforcements, and if we regroup in Riddleport we can regain the element of surprise. Besides, we have other items to dispose of; for example, Yaza's spy eyes."

I vote for 1.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath shoots Tragershen a look, then silently signs to him, Do we want to sell those? We should leave one here at this spot.

Do those things have a range limit we know about?

My vote is 1. Beam 4 of us out. Leave the paladin behind. I don't trust the wizard. Scroll-beam the rest of us out asap. Anzath will be one of the last to leave.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

Talathel's order of preference given new info: 3, 1, 2, 4.


Human Druid (6) | HP:50/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 |

Adelie's preference is 1, 4, 3, 2, unless 3 involves the wizard and paladin staying with us, in which case his preference is 3, 1, 4, 2. He's surprised that the ghouls haven't already returned. Adelie will make a strong effort to stay near Lolo since he is holding Mone's bones.


The wizard is not going to try to get 8 hrs of rest in the dungeon, but the paladin is a paladin, and would rather be in Rappan Athuk than Riddleport.


Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 56/56 HP | AC 22, T 12 , FF 20, CMD 19 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: Bless

The cleric nods along with Tragershen, "While we need to be back on the isle soon, I think it wise to fall back and recuperate for a time, and re-find our bearings."

Aurora's order of preference is 1, 3, 2, 4.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Be see'n numbers doc. All ov' dem swirling and such...be 'nough ta drive un dead dwarf nuts!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

And thus, the great evacuation at Dungkirk began. Before leaving with the first batch, Sylvester studies the cavern carefully. It will be easier to return that way.

Teleport back to temple: 1d100 ⇒ 88

Teleport back to cavern: 1d100 ⇒ 49

Teleport back to temple: 1d100 ⇒ 29

I want to write up this scene with a worthy post, but chores call me away! Stay tuned, but know that you all made it out!


The second scroll of Teleport disintegrates as the party begins to hear the beating of drums in the distance beyond the staircase. Everyone's hair lifts with the pulse of static electricity that accompanies teleportation, and the next time you blink, your eyes open to a new scene. The party is reunited under the dome of the high council of Sarenrae. Anzath has been here before. It's not her favorite place.

Sylvester presents the efreeti bottle to the high priests and priestesses (you recognize one of these as the cleric from Vael's departure). She says, "Strange, I thought not to see you again so soon. Nor did I expect you to require so many temple resources. Sylvester should probably left you there until tomorrow, when he could have saved us the scrolls..."

Sylvester runs his fingers through the halo of radiance created by his frizzy white wizardly locks and beard. "May I humbly submit that the expense was insignificant compared to the value of that object? I believe this group has proven its worth, and I would like to assist them as we can. That includes compensating them adequately for the voluntary transfer of the efreeti bottle to the temple."

The priests and priestesses fidget uneasily. The captain of the paladins blusters forward, as all paladins do, his voice echoing through his holy helm of steel: "Of course they will be compensated!"

Aurora starts arranging the resuscitation of the party's dead. Raise Dead, Restore Corpse, and Raise Animal Companion are all available. Restoration, too, although the one-a-week limit applies. Bedlam, when's your next dose due?

And it's at this awkward interval that Tragershen feels his Mark of Treachery suddenly burning. He feels an urge to denounce the Temple of Sarenrae... a voice from the Abyss urges him on, ordering him down a very self-destructive path: "TELL THE FOOLS OF THE POWER OF NECATOR! TELL THEM HOW THEY FLED FROM MY POWER! RUB THEIR SMUG FACES IN IT! AND DESECRATE THIS TEMPLE! USE YOUR IMAGINATION! AND I HOPE I SEE YOU SOON, YOU CAN TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT IN PERSON, IF NOT IN THE FLESH! HAHAHAHA!"

After that... happens, we'll figure out the take-away loot from the efreeti bottle!


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Probably shoould be mak'n un 'plintment wit me doctor...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen pales when the voice enters his mind. Suddenly, the Mark upon his torso makes sense. He still cannot remember the circumstances that led to a pact with such a powerful demon, but he understood the consequences of defying it. The elf stood straight, took a long, slow, deep breath, and then spoke.

”It is impressive to see the might of Saranrae on display here, far from the true dangers of the world.” His eyes narrow. He whispers a word and disappears from sight.

His disembodied voice raises as he shouts ”But your goddess pales in comparison to the might of dreaded Necator! Your foolish peers thought to contain It and bend It to their wills, but they failed, and it cost them EVERYTHING!!!”

The keenest ears might hear the pop of a cork.

”Your kin fled from him, or at least tried! When faced with his power, they ran or they died! So many served him as diseased, stumbling corpses, tributes to his glory!!! They ran while he set his pestilence throughout their temple where the stain lived on!!!”

There is a tinkling sound from around the room as, from the thin air, diseased dire rat teeth spread across a wide swath. ”Fear his mighty plague! Know that he remembers, and he will exact revenge!”

From a nearby representation, holy to Saranae, there is a sound of splashing. Urine appears, spraying across the statue. ”Terrbile Bastion of Plague! Monstrous Lord of Vile Disease! Formidible Doom of the Righteous! Villainous Deceiver of the Most Clever! Baron of Bloody Chaos! Mighty Shadow of Doom!”

He begins to cast summon monster III to summon a dretch.


Excellent. Looks like it's time for initiative!


Initiative:

Init Adelie as Small Air Elemental: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 + 1 = 17
Init Anzath underground: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Init Aurora: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Init Lolly: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Init Talathel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Init Tragershen: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
Init Sylvester, Wizard of Sarenrae: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Init High Priestess: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Init Paladin Captain of Sarenrae: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
Init Hierophant of Sarenrae: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Init Abbess of Sarenrae: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6
Init Sylvester’s Paladin Escort: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Init Paladin Guard: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Init Paladin Guard: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Everyone is taken aback. But one of the paladin door guards, a half-orc who had just been lectured about constant vigilance by Lt. of Training Vael Dahl, moves first.

"I shall smite thee in the name of the Lady!" she yells, rushing forward with a scimitar raised over her head in both hands:

Smite Evil Charge Power Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 2 + 2 - 2 = 281d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 2 + 2 - 2 = 101d6 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

The paladin's holy blade smashes into the unarmed, unarmored caster, and in one of those moments that reveal the true fortitude of the experienced adventurer or maybe one that reveals how silly the HP system is, Tragershen is hewn by the mighty, well-placed, magic-enhanced, and darn sharp blow, but he remains standing.

Adelie may act!


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

"Sh!t. Vizard!"

When all commotion breaks loose, Anzath stands back to back with Tal, her hands on the pommels of her blades, unsure of what to do. She looks to Aurora, knowing she's been Trag's ally the longest, "Vhat iz he doing!?"


Human Druid (6) | HP:50/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 |

”Eehh?” Adelie shrieks, startled. ”What’s going on? Is this part of a plan? I thought you were friends with these people! First a deal with a dragon and now, uh, whatever this is. You are a very odd group of people.”
He flees to wherever in the room looks safest, possibly behind the wizard of Saranrae if he can get there without looking like an attacker.
If Mone were with him, he’d probably be enjoying this excitement and confusion. In the aftermath of her death, though, surprises like this don’t seem nearly as entertaining.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Well dat be happ'ned!


Tragershen, I'm not giving you a surprise round because you don't get to make a speech AND get a surprise round. Instead, you start casting now, in initiative--it's for the best. I'll devote your turn to the Dretch casting.

Smite Evil Power Attack AOO: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 192d6 + 18 ⇒ (6, 2) + 18 = 26

As Tragershen raises his hands and begins to cast, the paladin cuts him down where he stands. The holy door-guard's quick reactions (or rather, everyone else's incredibly slow ones) have carried the day for Sarenrae.

Knowledge: Planes Sylvester: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29

As Tragershen's blood pools across the stones of the temple, Sylvester darts forward and shouts, "Everyone stop! Let us not allow the demon to have its way here, a battle in the high sanctum is precisely what it wants! That elf did not act under his own will, but out of a magic compulsion."

He kicks open Tragershen's robe (all the easier, considering that it is now slashed twice), revealing the Mark of Treachery inscribed there by Necator, the Glabrezu. The mark is writhing, lit as with an internal flame, and, as you all watch, it burns itself away. The corpse is clean, now.

The paladin who escorted Sylvester to Rappan Athuk follows Sylvester closely, drawing his blade and covering the mage. "Don't move, travelers. But you may speak. What led your wizard to commit such a desecration?"

Combat over, if you want! Or, Anzath and Talathel may act.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

Talathel stares in shock at the abrupt chaos, keeping his spear in a non-combative stance.

"Tragershen...was steady, reliable. When we found the monastary, he spoke of them having summoned...the demon he ranted and raved about. Perhaps something happened to him there? I do not recall anything so dramatic then beyond finding old books."

Talathel wracks his brain, trying to piece together anything useful.

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 56/56 HP | AC 22, T 12 , FF 20, CMD 19 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: Bless

Aurora blinks in surprise at the sudden change in demeanor of the wizard — then spews a stream of shocked profanity more befitting the backroom of a seedy bar as he turns his attentions to desecrating the temple, eyes wide and jaw slack. She looks to Anzath in shocked distress at the half-drow's query, "I don't know!"

As Tragershen is subdued she brings a hand up to rest over her chest, curled into a fist against the metal of her breastplate. She shakes her head, "I don't know, I don't know... he was fine. He was fine." She swallows. "I don't know what happened. I don't... we just found a library in the old... the old outpost, and it detailed what happened with the-- the plague, and the temple, and the demon."

She leans onto one foot, trying to get a better look at the felled wizard, "Is he okay?"


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath begins explaining to the high preistess, "He did not speak for uz. De demon must have reached him widout uz knowing. You saw de mark. You must understand."

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 1 >.<


"SILENCE, SLAYER!" The high priests are furious. The captain of the paladins steps forward and says, "I sentence the elf to cremation and the scattering of his ashes on the sea. His penalty will be an eternity in the company of his unethical decisions!!"

But Sylvester turns from the corpse and says in a calmer voice, "Sir, I believe the Nethysians. You can't send someone on a mission to Rappan Athuk and expect them to come out clean. We learned something today (praise Nethys and the Lady): we learned that a plague demon named Necator was the downfall of our monastery. The demon over-played its hand by implanting a Mark of Treachery on this wizard. I know that glabrezu use this technique in their evil whimsy. We can take our vengeance at a later date. Furthermore, is there any penalty you could devise that furthers the aims of Sarenrae more than merely sending him and his friends back to that fell place where I found them? I think not."

As debate erupts across the room, Sylvester scuttles over to the altar and begins Prestidigitating the statue.

The high priestess calls for silence, then speaks. "Let us ask him directly. The Mark has left his body."

She casts Speak with Dead on Tragershen, and asks him the following questions: "Why did you desecrate the temple? Are you evil? Were you compelled to be evil? How did you learn about Necator? Will you return to the Rappan Athuk? Will you fight the evil within that place?

Tragershen's punctured lungs suddenly fill with air, and he answers (if he'd like to live) the priestess' questions!


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen's spirit responds. The voice is distant and hollow, but sincere.

I desecrated the temple because the demon demanded it of me through the Mark. If I refused the demand, it meant my certain destruction and Necator's doings would forever remain a mystery. By acquiescing to its demand, the Mark would be excised and we would learn of its role in all things.

Am I evil? I suppose I am, for selfishly choosing life and a chore set by a demon over permanent destruction. I never considered myself to be evil though. I have been driven by my desire to cleanse my homeland of demonic influence.

I do not know the circumstances of my being obligated to the demon, and therefore evil. I believe I must have been compelled to be evil and in its service as a choice of the lesser of two evils.

I do not know how I learned of Necator. Powerful magic must have removed that from myself and any of my companions who knew of it. What I ranted of came to me from it through the Mark. As a diviner, I would continue to seek the answers to the truth behind this mystery.

Given a choice, I would return to Rappan Athuk. I still seek answers on how to banish Treerazer from the elven lands, and I believe much could be learned there.

If I return to Rappan Athuk, it would be to combat the forces of evil there, bringing destruction upon them whenever it is within my power to do so."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Sylvester nods and says, "See, whad I tell ya? Raise him and banish him to Rappan Athuk as penance and he'll be doing us all a service."

The paladin says, "Let the sinner burn. We don't need his help."

Sylvester narrows his white eyelids and says, "The captain of paladins should bring to mind his last Atonement spell, remember how you learned that you can't "hear" innocence or guilt in a scream. And the one before that, how's your son, how's his mother? And the one before that, whatever happened to that goblin orphanage?"

The high priestess sighs as she wrestles the captain of paladins back into his seat. "Enough. I am satisfied. We will raise and restore your friends and equip you either with our own goods, or with the coin to find what you need elsewhere, as fairly established by the market value of the efreeti bottle. This disgusting display should never leave this room. The wizard will take an Atonement for committing evil through compulsion--if it doesn't 'take' we'll know that he's got deeper issues to plumb, and I might reverse my decision."

The dead are raised and restored one negative level each, carrying one forward. You pay for two scrolls of Teleport. After all that, you still have an account of 55000 GP (I'm rounding a bit) at the Temple of Sarenrae, which I've added to the Loot Sheet in lieu of the Efreeti Bottle. You can spend it wherever, but if you want something that the Temple of Sarenrae would have in stock, you might be able to get it at a discount.

Unless anyone has something to change/add...

Tragershen returns to life and gets back to work--with Sylvester's assistance, he identifies the dagger as a +3. How he's feeling, I'll leave for him to describe.

Bedlam is back! His negative levels weigh heavily on his shoulders. I'll let him scrub one off now like Trag and Mone, leaving him with two fresh neg levels, one removable per week.

Mone is back! The temple had a scroll of Raise Animal Companion available for the wolf, paid for with the efreeti proceeds.

You aren't in any danger, so feel free to describe any actions/reactions you'd like. When you're ready, you can find a safe inn in town somewhere. Vael Dahl appears and offers to keep watch tonight so that you can all get a nice long sleep.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Dis be un bad un! Not too sure 'bout how me lived me lice! Me be pay'n fer me sins! Oh, fathers of me peoples; don't be too down on un destitute dwarf! It be da itch, me be tell'n ya! Me only be meself be all! If'n you gods be listen'n; me be mak'n un promise!

The blury-blue eyed dwarf rubs his dirty grubby hands across his face. He grins. Sitting up from the stone slab he was currently lying on; Bedlam belches!
Patting his poor grumbling belly, the truly f$@@ed up looking dwarf grins at the priestly folk around him.
You be star'n at me fer much longer, you be nedd'n ta kiss me! How can un dead dwarf git sum eats! Me be starv'n!


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

When they are all together and restored, Tragershen says ”I think we should spend a week in Riddleport. We have engage Alma to sell some of the valuables we have no use for.”

At the temple, when Sylvester is helping Tragershen identify the dagger, the elf asks him about another topic. ”When we spoke briefly before, I had asked you about an item. The druid who is prominent in the region called it the Spike of Anoma. She said it had something to do with Rappan Athuk, and I believe it was the source of corruption in a spiders’ nest. Can you help me determine what properties it may bear as well?” If he agrees, Tragershen will take it out of his pack so they can look at it as well.

There are a couple of things that we picked up that I don’t see on the loot sheet. One of the wererats had a cloak of elvenkind, Adelie brought back some goggles from her delve into the rat caves, and we found a helmet of comprehend languages and read magic in the dire rat cave. Also, we have the full set of spy eyes now.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath claimed the cloak of elvenkind. It’s in her inventory.

As a first order of business, Anzath questions Sylvester, now that he’s proven to be an ally, about her bracelet. She tells him everything, and warns, "It may not be vise, yez? to remove it here. Aragnak kan track me wid it on. He vould know diz iz vhere I am vhen I remove it, and kome looking for me here. But, it kan be removed, yez?"


Treasure Updated, thanks Tragershen! More when I have a chance.


Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 56/56 HP | AC 22, T 12 , FF 20, CMD 19 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: Bless

Aurora looks half ready to faint as the Sarenites argue and nitpick amongst themselves and interrogate the corpse of Tragershen. When all is resolved, she looks only mildly relieved.

----

"A week may be a bit long, considering... how soon our meeting with our scaled bondsman is, though the rest would certainly benefit us greatly."


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 22/18 Fort+9, Ref+9, Will+5 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:

Bedlam eats and sleeps and crafts for 2 weeks...

Me all skin un bones! Plus, sum dirty snickers bar done stole me concoctions!


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

Talathel looks at the restored Tragershen and asks:

"Tragershen, how much do you remember?"

*************************

Addressing the group, he says:

"We have two general options: have treasure to appease the dragon for a stay of execution, or prepare ourselves to battle it. I do not think ot is yet time to battle it but that time grows closer as we hone our skills."


Wolf (6) | HP:- | AC:19 | FF:16 | T:13 | F+7; R+8; W+2 | Init +2 | Perc +5| Active Effects: -

Mone is absolutely thrilled to be alive again, and runs around the temple wildly, eagerly greeting anyone she can manage to get attention from.


Human Druid (6) | HP:50/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 |

Adelie floats close behind Mone, doing his best to stop her from bothering the temple clerics and paladins.


Lolygert 'Lolly' Endeferr Human Barbarian 5/Cleric 1 HP:60/60 AC:21 CMB:+9 CMD: 22 Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +4 Rage:17/17

--- The ghoul debate ---
Recovering from his raging, Lolygert nurses the inevitable headache with constant pulls from his ever full flagon, blinking in confusion at the vehement argument, thinking The not-so-dead guy... is now more-or-less-dead...for good...hmm, I'd think that was a good thing? Why's Adelie so mad?"

His thoughts do not get much deeper on the subject, becoming more preoccupied with Bedlam's fate, kneeling by the fallen dwarf, helping Anzath cover the mad dwarf's body, copious tears falling down his cheeks, wetting his beard and carrying away some of the red of the barbarian chew.

--- Escape ---

Lolygert is all for getting out of Rappan Athuk for a spell, voting eagerly for the Sylvester Teleportation Service, asking the wizard,"Will it hurt at all?"

--- Temple of Sarenrae ---
Appearing with the others, Lolygert's hair and beard form a tangled nimbus of hair , surrounding his astonished face, "Huh....that was better than flying... I think"

He nods his thanks to Sylvester, then paces about , inspecting the clean, holy environs of the Temple of Sarenrae, taking sips from his flagon.

When Tragerhen performs his desecration, those most observant , see that Lolygert can only just contain a bout of giggles, thinking it was all just an uncharacteristic jape by the wizard. The looks on the faces the holy of holies of Sarenrae didn't help the matter.

The seriousness of the matter only dawned on him when the Paladin cuts down Tragershen, causing Lolygert to blink, then frown...about to jump into the fray. The ensuing arguement and discussion pauses his action, however, and also quickly bored him to tears.

He gives Bedlam a big hug when he is revived and then runs around with Mone for some time , stopping by the priestess, breathing hard, saying with grudging respect, "You guys throw a pretty good party! "


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Anzath, are you trying to talk to Sylvester about this alone, or with some of us present? Are you trying to have Sylvester remove it?

From the time that we are raised, how long is it until we are supposed to meet the dragon?

In response to Talathel, Tragershen answers ”I remember everything the conflict in the temple here, but I still do not remember when or how we encountered the demon that resulted in my being marked. But I will. It may take me years and powerful magics to do so, but I will.”

”We should be as ready as we can be to confront the dragon in case it is not satisfied with Anzath’s offering.”


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

If others want to join the conversation, that’s fine. I don’t think it’s wise to remove the bracelet here and now, less the dragon come to Riddleport looking for us. But, I do want to know if there is a way to remove it, for when the time and place is right.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

"Understanding our options is wise. I can give up blades that I carry to appease the creature. We should also focus on either a backup plan to fight or flee in case of its displeasure."


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

After their initial adventures at the temple, Tragershen has a messenger sent to Elma so they can make arrangements for sales and acquisitions.

When he has a minute with Elma after arrangements are underway, he’ll ask her a favor. ”I am working on a spell, the same spell that the wizard used to extract us from Rappan Athuk. When I master it, I’ll need a place here in Riddleport to bring us to. It would need to be a place I could study so I know where I am going. We would have to be assured that it would be unoccupied at all times. A small room in the back of a warehouse or inn would suffice.”

Assuming we have a common place to stay when we leave the temple, Tragershen will talk to the others over dinner. To all PCs: ”I am so pleased that Mone has been restored to us. We are almost whole again. The priestess has told us that Bedlam and I are under a sort of hangover effect from being brought back. If we remain here another week, she can grant us additional blessings upon us to remove them. The question is, how long do we wish to stay here in Riddleport? We have a certain fiery appointment that we’ll need to meet still. And as Talathel has said, we should have a contingency plan in case the offering is not sufficient.”

Later that evening…:
That night, after dinner and when Bedlam is deep into his cups, Tragershen sits with his journal books. He collects his thoughts in silent meditation and then he begins. In beautiful calligraphy, he details their discussions in Zelkor’s Ferry in the aftermath of the dragon encounter. He documents the trip to the graveyard, including an exquisite ink rendering of the mausoleum and the gargoyles perched to attack, with the well visible in the scene. The narrative covers the gargoyle battle, the crushing trap they evaded and the climb down to the actual realm of Rappan Athuk. He describes the dung monster’s lair, its sudden appearance and their flight from it. He writes about the lone ghast, the dire rat swarms, the fight with the wererats and the tragic death of poor Moneduloides. Here he stops and includes a full page ink drawing of the raging battle at the moment Mone was killed. It isn’t much farther in the writing before he pauses again to include another ink drawing. He writes about how the dung monster found them and started to climb across the cavern ceiling to get to them. His ink drawing shows the pit spell working to dislodge the monster and cast it into the river. Then, seeing it is late into the evening and most of the common room is empty, Tragershen leaves coins for his wine, gathers his writing materials and retires for the night.

And the next evening…:
The next evening, after dinner, discussion, crafting and other chores, Tragershen again pulls out his journal book. The narrative continues with even more rats attacking, and then the battle of the ghouls. Tragershen pieces things together as well as he can from what the others described. He notes important things that the ghouls had said, the threat of returning with priests and the ramblings that Adelie got from the ghoul in the pit. He details the death of Bedlam for the second time in his records. He commemorates the loss with an ink drawing of the scene. Tragershen describes finding the lamp and calling for help from a powerful wizard. For the second time in his narrations, he leaves out some details; just as he did not reveal anything that hinted at the Bristleback’s secret, he does not reveal the name or anything that would help identify the wizard who aided them to prevent reprisals should the tome fall into the wrong hands. In his final ink drawing for this session, Tragershen depicts himself in his demonic inspired fit in the temple casting diseased rat teeth about as he rants. With a hint of artistic license, he shows himself with his robe loose and down over a shoulder, revealing the demon mark on his shoulder blade. The shading he depicts himself in hints at the invisibility spell he had at the time. Looking up from his work, he realizes he has again closed down the tavern common room. With an apology to the waitress in the form of a generous tip, he retires again for the night.


Thanks for the great post, Tragershen! I'll be back online soon, just gotta get on top of some stuff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

---

Sylvester proves his worth as an ally to the party several times over. Nothin' like a Good-aligned wizard.

He and Tragershen study the Spike of Anoma and find a disturbing artifact indeed. In its everyday, wieldable self, it is a +3 Spell Storing Dagger. It is truly ancient. Sylvester draws your attention to its uneven serrations, which suggest that it might also be a key. It is worth several fortunes. Sylvester wants to keep it in the temple, but he's worried that you might need it someday, and he can't offer to pay full market value right now, considering the damage the Efreeti Bottle has done to the temple budget. He counsels you to not sell it to anyone (except maybe to him, later, or for a discount), no matter the price: “Don’t sell keys before you know what doors they unlock… hmm, I think I just coined a new proverb.”

Google King Tut's amazing meteoric steel dagger, add black jewel in pommel and serrations, and you'll have the idea.

---

Sylvester reassures Anzath that he or a powerful temple cleric could allow her to slip off the ring by removing the curse within it and confirms that yes, it would be risky to do so. “You’d be exposed to the holder of the Jailer’s Ring paired with your Prisoner’s Ring, especially if they are paying close attention to what you’re doing. Knowing dragons, Aragnak is probably mesmerized by the Status effect granted by the ring, sitting on a pile of gold, grinning to himself. I wouldn’t allow a Remove Curse to be cast on temple grounds, as I don’t want to risk the dragon’s wrath, but I could sell you a scroll, should you ever be in a position to remove it safely. Or perhaps Aurora or Tragershen will be able to help you. Just be careful, I’ll know who to blame if Aragnak the Red suddenly appears over Riddleport.”

--

Elma is overjoyed to see the party and assists in all shopping. She takes careful note of how much you’re spending, gleefully calling it an “investment” and generously offering her “share in the take” to be reinvested in the project. Her storefront dangles a large banner advertising genuine goods from Rappan Athuk (arriving eventually) and includes an invitation to outside investment and cardboard replicas of the various treasures you’ve already found (and a few she just made up). The shop also includes a small set of rooms upstairs for her employees (Elma lives in the garret). The building also contains a back room full of empty shelves. Elma offers it to Tragershen as a teleport location. The wizard might feel a little odd, sitting in a dingy little back room intended to someday hold the treasure of Orcus.

On to shopping notes!


I hope everyone is having a good time shopping! I think that it might make your options clearer if you had a plan for dealing with the dragon. If you can get him off your back for a month somehow, particularly if you can do so without leaving town, you can settle in for 39 days worth of crafting before you have to deal with him again.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

How long is the boat trip directly from here to his lair? When can Elma be prepared to leave? If we must get Aragnak to come to us somehow, something drastic has to happen to Anzath to get his attention. Unless...

Anzath offers to purchase a scroll of remove curse from Sylvester, then leaves to scour Riddleport for the best shopping opportunities.
Appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Kn. Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

As she peruses the shops and markets, she whispers Aragnak’s name into an influential ear at any opportunity, hoping to uncover a lead to an agent of the dragon.
Diplomacy to Uncover Information: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

She returns to Sylvester, frustrated, and inquires for what price he is willing to scry out Aragnak’s location and teleport just her and a few magic items there and back.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:18 | FF:14 | T:13 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |
GM Parrot wrote:
I hope everyone is having a good time shopping! I think that it might make your options clearer if you had a plan for dealing with the dragon. If you can get him off your back for a month somehow, particularly if you can do so without leaving town, you can settle in for 39 days worth of crafting before you have to deal with him again.

Once we have purchased rare and exotic crafting supplies in Riddleport, Bedlam and I can conduct the actual crafting in Zelkor's Ferry. Or to a lesser degree on the road or even in the dungeon.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

Might be best to prioritise weapons while still in town. Talathel can fight without his elven branched spear but its temporary loss would hamper him. ;)


Anzath, seeking information, begins wandering the city. She finds that her underdark accent and directness of manner combine to make everyone she meets instantly and deeply suspicious. "Vat do you know ov ze dragon?" isn't a good way to make friends in Riddleport.

Elma is more helpful, explaining that while Captain Lamb would need an immense amount of money to risk the approach to Aragnak's isle, a few grey characters might be willing to take her on one of their blockade runners. These sharp characters run smuggling and ransom operations across the battle lines developing on Rivenrake Island. "Not to be trusted, but they also don't seek or ask for much of trust. In their fleetest sloop, you might get there in a day and a half. They like those waters because the navies don't trespass near the dragon after he attacked the fleet." Anzath could bribe her way onto one of these vessels for about 1000 GP, with additional passengers added at a lower rate of 100 GP/head (most of the expense is to cover running the sloop into Aragnak's isle).

Sylvester is less helpful, but not for lack of trying. He's mostly confused. "I couldn't risk my life visiting a dragon. I'm very much needed alive. I could sell you scrolls of the spells you seek, I suppose. I'd give you a discount. 4500 GP for a scroll of Scrying and three of Teleport. I won't sell you less than three, it's... it's not always the most reliable of spells. Your wizard could use the scrolls to see where you're going and then get you there."

Options! Feel free to chime in if you have any cool ideas on how to sort this out, folks. Tragershen: Good point, but I might ask for your list of to-be-created items before you leave town to reflect that you can't just bring generic magic supplies, you've got to bring the right ones.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath reconsiders her shopping list given these options.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC19 T13 FF17 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 48/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Any other ideas? We have the other scroll of Message, but getting Aragnak to come to us I think is going to be difficult and bothersome to the dragon. We don't want to become bothersome to the dragon. Anzath is willing to hire on pirate sloop to get her to the dragon's isle, and she's willing to go alone. It's not ideal but it's the best option I see at this point.

4,751 to 4,800 of 5,008 << first < prev | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Parrot's the Ferry and the Depths: Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.